|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
Oxford was situated in Oxford Township, adjoining Little Santa Fe, in Missouri. It was laid out in 1857, Christopher Columbus Catron being one of the early settlers here, and the leader in the enterprise of laying out and building up the town. In the three or four years following, Oxford grew to be a town of some importance, containing at the breaking out of the war a number of good stores, which carried on a large trade with the surrounding country. Its citizens, however, being for the most part in sympathy with the Southern cause, joined the Confederate Army, or the bushwhackers, or moved their personal property, including slaves, to Texas, or some other Southern State. The dwellings and other buildings thus left unoccupied, were used as barracks for Union soldiers, and were in most instances destroyed in various ways. By the close of the war there was little or nothing left of the town, and now nothing marks the site of the once famous town but beautiful green pastures and waving fields of grain.
It was here that the famous Oxford frauds were perpetuated. Or, to speak more accurately, it was here a regular election was held on October 5, 1857, at which but one or two illegal votes were cast, but the returns from which election were taken by Henry Clay Pate, to Little Santa Fe that night, and to which a large number of names were added, the same operation being repeated next day at Westport, Mo., until in the aggregate about 1,600 names were added to the forty-two or three names of legal voters who had in a proper manner deposited their ballots on the day before.
Morris is on undulating prairie. It was so named after one of the superintendents of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R. R.
The first settlement was made in 1866, by Samuel Weir and John McCaughey. Rev. M. B. Griffin preached the first sermon in McCaughey's grove. The postoffice was established January 21, 1879, R. P. Edgington being appointed first Postmaster. A store was opened here January 28, 1880, by J. W. Hunter.
ROSWELL ADAMS, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Lenexa, was born in Orleans County, N. Y., July 24, 1824; emigrated to Clinton County, Ill., in 1840. In May, 1847, he enlisted and went to Mexico, under Col. Alton R. Easton; after seventeen months of service he was discharged at Independence, Mo., and returned to Clinton County, Ill., where he turned his attention to farming; in 1861 he went to Colorado and engaged in mining with Quartz Mill until 1864, when he went to Montana and engaged in gulch digging; returned home in 1865, and in the spring of the year following came to Kansas and located on his present farm; he owns 560 acres of land, all well improved and is largely engaged in raising graded cattle and Berkshire hogs. Mr. Allen was married in Clinton County, Ill., November 28, 1846, to Clarissa Bradshaw, a native of England. They have six living children - Henry, Ross, George, Nellie, Julia and Lottie, and three deceased, Annie, Clifton and Rhinalo.
JOHN W. CROOKS, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Morse Station, was born in Carroll County, Ohio, December 25, 1832. He learned the trade of carpenter and for several years followed that occupation. He took an academic course at Richmond, Ohio, after which he gave his attention to teaching school. In 1857 he came to Kansas, but remained only two seasons, during which time he followed his trade; returning home he taught school and worked as a carpenter. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company F, One Hundred and Twenty-sixth Ohio Infantry; was appointed Second Lieutenant and promoted to First Lieutenant in 1863, and to Captain in 1864, serving, in all, some three years. After the war he resided in Akron, Ohio, and was for two years engaged in the boot and shoe business. He returned to Kansas in May, 1868, and located on his present farm, which is the northwest quarter of Section 2, Township 14, Range 24. His farm he has improved yearly until now it is under a high state of cultivation. On his place he has a good orchard of about six acres, and a splendid residence, which cost some $3,500. Mr. Crooks was married in Carroll County, Ohio, in 1859, to Charlotte Amos, who dies December 23, 1860, leaving one daughter, Charlotte. He was married again in Akron, Ohio, in 1865, to Mary C. Harper; she died December 23, 1876. They had four children - James, Edgar, Helen and John.
CHARLES HENRY EWING, farmer, P. O. Olathe, was born in the city of New York, November 3, 1836, and reared in Randolph County, Ill., where he followed farming. In the spring of 1865, he came to Kansas and located on his present farm in Oxford Township in the following fall. He has 160 acres of land, nearly all of which is under cultivation. On his place is a fine orchard, and his farm is tastefully laid off with Osage orange hedges. He is quite extensively engaged in raising hogs. Mr. Ewing was for fifteen years a member of the District School Board, and has had many other local offices. He was married in Randolph County, Ill., November 3, 1859, to Jane Bickett, a native of Scotland. They have seven children - Mary E., Thomas S., William R., Charles H., Henry E., Minnie A., and Lydia Jane.
JOHN EWING, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Olathe, was born in Ireland, in January, 1827, emigrating to America ten years later. He resided for four years in Kentucky, then removed to Randolph County, Ill., where he learned the trade of blacksmith, and for many years carried on a general blacksmith business in connection with which he also farmed. In April, 1866, he came to Kansas, resided for a short time in Franklin County, and in the following August located on his present farm. He owns over 400 acres of land. His residence farm is splendidly improved, being laid out in fields of forty acres; on this place he has some seven or eight miles of beautiful hedge and one of the prettiest residences in the county. Mr. Ewing is quite extensively engaged in raising cattle and blooded hogs. He was married in Randolph County, Ill., in 1851, to Elizabeth J. Ewing, of New York. This union has been blessed with twelve children, five of whom are living - Thomas J., Mary A., Charles S., Fannie M., and Eva J.
HON. THOMAS N. HANCOCK, farmer, P. O. Stanley, was born in Wyandotte County, Ohio, in December, 1839. At the age of eight years his parents moved to Marshall County, Ill., where he was reared on a farm. In September, 1861, he enlisted in Company B, Seventeenth Illinois Infantry, and served three years. He came to Kansas in the fall of 1866 and located on his present farm. He has 240 acres and is quite extensively engaged in raising stock. In 1873 he was elected to the State Legislature and served one term. Mr. H. was married in 1868, at Yates County, Ill., to Elizabeth Corbin. They have three children, Evalenah M., Lyman E., and Inez S.
JAMES HUTCHESON, farmer, P. O. Olathe, was born in the County of Armagh, Ireland, on January 1, 1829, and emigrated to America when very young, and was reared in Guernsey County, Ohio. In 1845 he removed to Pittsburgh, Penn., where he learned the carpenter trade, remaining there until 1852, after which he returned to Guernsey County and took a farm. In October, 1858, he removed to Page County, Iowa, where he followed farming. He came to Kansas April 8, 1865 and located on his present farm in Oxford Township. He has 200 acres, 180 or which are highly improved, and three acres of which are an orchard. His principal business is grain farming. Mr. Hutcheson was married in Lawrence County, Penn, in 1852, to Sarah Martin, who died in March, 1862, leaving four children, Robert J., Sarah A., Jemima M. J. and Isabella M. He was married again in Page County, Iowa, October 22, 1864, to Sarah S. Taggart, a native of Indiana.
JEFFERSON KENNEDY, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Meadow Brook, was born in Peru, Indiana, in 1843; emigrated with his parents in 1851, to Jackson County, Mo., and was reared on a farm. In August, 1862, he enlisted, at Kansas City, in Company B, Sixth Kansas Cavalry, and served three years; he came to Johnson County, Kansas, and assisted his father in conducting a farm in Oxford. In the spring of 1870 he moved on to his present farm in Oxford Township. He has eighty acres all under a high state of cultivation and is quite extensively engaged in raising and dealing in live stock. Mr. Kennedy was married in Johnson County, in December, 1869, to Elizabeth Franklin. They have five children, Cora, Walter, Gertrude, Franklin and Sidney.
H. L. MARDIS, merchant, Stanley, was born in Laurel County, Ky., in January, 1845, and reared on a farm. He came to Kansas in October, 1866, located with his father in Oxford Township, Johnson County, and assisted him in farming until 1868, when he was appointed Postmaster at Stanley, which office he still holds. He has, since 1867, been engaged in mercantile business, for the past seven years in company with his father, John Mardis, under style of Mardis & Son. He is also engaged in grain business and farms to some extent. Mr. M. was married in Oxford Township, in June, 1873, to Medora Wallis. They have three children, Walter, Mabel and Myrtle G.
JOSEPH M. MARVIN, breeder of blooded stock, P. O. Olathe, was born in the city of New York, March 25, 1833, and reared in Randolph County, Ill., where he was for some years engaged in farming. He came to Kansas in October, 1860, remaining only a short time, returning to his home in Randolph County. In 1864 he finally settled in Oxford Township, moving on to his present farm in the spring of 1866. He owns 160 acres of land, all well improved. His principal business is breeding Jersey cattle and Normandy and Hambletonian horses, also mules. Mr. Marvin also has a fine orchard of twelve acres of various kinds of fruits. During the war he took an active part here and in Randolph County, Ill. Mr. Marvin was married in Randolph County, Ill., in February, 1855, to Agnes Redpath. They have five children, Jane. R., James H., Mary E., Margaret A. and Fannie R.
DR. J. S. STOUGH, farmer, P. O. Lenexa, was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio,, February 28, 1827. He studied medicine at Kenyon College, Knox County, Ohio, and attended Rush Medical College, Chicago, Ill., graduating from the latter in 1852. The doctor began the practice of medicine in 1850 in DeKalb County, Ind., where he continued for about twenty-nine years. He came to Kansas in February, 1879, practiced at Longton. Elk County, until October, 1881, when he came to Johnson County, and located on his present farm near the station of Lenexa. He has some eighty acres of land - forty for farming purposes and forty of timber. The doctor has quite an extensive practice, not withstanding his short residence, being quite popular in the farming community.
JOHN TOWNER, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Olathe, was born at Crown Point, N. Y., and reared on a farm, and also learned the carpenter trade, which he followed there and in Livingston County, Ills., for some years. He spent ten years in traveling through various Western states. In May, 1864, he came to Kansas and located on his present farm in Oxford Township. He has here 320 acres, 240 of which are under cultivation and four acres orchard. He is engaged to some extent in raising stock. Mr. Towner was married in Livingston County, Ills., in 1855 to Caroline Williams. They have eleven children - Ephraim, Rhoda, John, Warren, Henry, William, Norah, Lorena, Benjamin and Matthew.
HENRY WEDD, farmer and stock-dealer, P. O. Lenexa, is a native of England and immigrated to America at the age of thirteen years, locating in Kalamazoo County, Mich., for five years; he followed farming; then near Rochester, N. Y., engaged in same capacity. In 1858 he came to Kansas, and in 1859 to Johnson County, locating in Oxford; he was engaged in farming and stock-raising, in company with J. C. McCoy; when the war broke out he was compelled to leave, and resided for a short time in the city of Olathe. In 1862 he moved on to his present farm in Oxford Township. He had little or no means when he arrived here; has now 740 acres of land nearly all improved, and is largely engaged in dealing in Short-horn cattle, Norman horses, and Berkshire hogs. On his place he has a fine residence and a good orchard of four acres. Mr. W. was married in Monroe County, N. Y., July 3, 1846, to Lucy J. Converse. They have seven children - Henry, Charles, George, Mary, Willard, Albert and Elizabeth.