|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (GARDINER - NORTHRUP).
J. J. GARDINER, proprietor of the Cataract House and liveryman, is a native of Missouri, and was born in Platte County, April 19, 1849. He came to Kansas with his parents in 1854, and was reared and educated in Jefferson County. He has been interested in fine horses for a number of years and has done much in the grade of horse-flesh in Jefferson County, and has on had some of the finest bred ones in Kansas. There are but few men on the turf in Northeastern Kansas and Western Missouri that are better known than "Dick," as he is generally called. He is a member of the Masonic Order, Valley Falls Lodge, and Knights of Pythias.
Thomas W. GARDINER, editor of the Valley Falls Register, is a son of the late Wm. M. Gardiner, one of pioneers of the county. Thomas was born in Platte County, Mo, on September 22, 1847. He moved to Kansas with his parents in March, 1855. They located at Winchester. He lived on the farm and attended school until 1869, after which he spent one year in Missouri, when he returned and taught school in Jefferson County for ten years. In 1873 he engaged to edit one page, devoted to Winchester news, for the Grasshopper. He resigned that place and founded the Winchester Argus, June 14, 1877, which he continued until February, 1880, when he sold it and removed to Valley Falls. He was married in November, 1874, to Miss Mattie E. Kirkpatrick, of Jefferson County, who was a native of Ohio. They have two children--Stella Grace, born March 18, 1876, and Bertha Alice, born July 19, 1878.
JESSE T. B. GEPHART, physician and surgeon. This well known member of the medical fraternity is a son of S. C. Gephart, Esq., and was born in Alleghany County, Md., July 19, 1848. He came to Valley Falls with his parents in 1858, which has since been his home. In 1868 he commenced taking lectures at Rush Medical College, Chicago, Ill., graduating from that institution in 1870, after which for eighteen months he was employed in surgery and medicine in the Cook County Hospital. He then came to Valley Falls. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Valley Falls Lodge No. 21.
S. C. GEPHART, banker, deceased. The characteristics of men of mark are usually so distinguishable that they stand out prominently like the well developed cereal in a thrifty field of grain. Such is pre-eminently true of S. C. Gephart, who for upward of a quarter of a century has been identified with the growth of Kansas, and has contributed amply toward the development of Jefferson County. He was a native of Maryland, and was born in Alleghany County; was educated and learned the carpenter trade in his native State. When a competent young man, went to Texas and Mexico, spending a few years. In 1857 he came to Kansas, and in March of that year located at Valley Falls. Engaged in working at the carpenter's trade, and there are still some of the old landmarks in existence that are specimens of his handiwork. Among those are the Cataract House and Congregational Church. He also built the first mill on the site of H. Legler's Oak Hill Mill. In 1859 he was elected Recorder of Deeds, and re-elected in 1862. He was also the choice of the people of Jefferson County for Treasurer two consecutive terms; and has held minor offices. Was also the first Mayor of Valley Falls. For a number of hears he was engaged in the hardware and implement business. In 1871 he engaged in the banking business. Mr. G. was married in 1847 to Miss Eliza C. Beal, of Maryland. They have six children--Jesse T. B., physician and surgeon of Valley Falls; Marshall, Robert H., Ida C., Mary H., and Susan M. He was a member of the I. O. O. F., and was a charter member of the Masonic Fraternity, No. 21 of Valley falls. He died October 23, 1882.
J. A. GOODMAN is a native of New York, and was born in Geneseo County, July 16, 1834; was there educated and reared, after which he came to Kansas, and was married in Leavenworth County, December 11, 1862, to Miss Julia M. Cody. They have seven children living--William. A., Eddie R., Lizzie E., George C., Josie L., Henry J., Finley A. They lost one child -- Minnie E., the second. For a number of years the family have resided at Valley Falls. A sketch of Mr. Cody, Mrs. Goodman's father, appears elsewhere.
Z. GRAGG, farmer, Section 17, P. O. Valley Falls, is a native of Missouri, and was born in Clay County, May 12, 1833. When fourteen years of age he removed with his parents to Platte County. In the spring of 1855 he came to Kansas, settling in the locality where he still resides. His brother Henry came in the a spring of 1856, and the spring of 1857 his father, William GRAGG, located on the creek. The Graggs were among the first farm-openers in that vicinity, and contributed amply towards its development. The subject of this sketch has been a constant resident since that time. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and largely though his efforts the society was organized. and a church built. He has been three times married, his two former wives being dead. By his second marriage he had four children--Mary E., George H., Dudley, and Laura. His present wife, Miss I. Bois, he married at Washington, Iowa. She is a native of Muskingum County, Ohio. His first wife was the first white woman who died on the Creek.
SAMUEL G. GREENE, Section 6, P. O. Valley Falls, is a native of Vermont, and was born in Orange County, where he was educated and learned the carpenter's trade, after which he went to Boston, and was in business two years; then to Syracuse, N. Y.; and in 1855 he came to Kansas and entered the Government employ at For Leavenworth, doing carpenter work on the buildings. The most of the employees were Pro-slavery men, and knowing that Mr. Greene was from the East, and how he stood on the "goose question," as the expression was at that time, made matters a little unpleasant. He stood it as long as possible, and finally came to Jefferson County and turned his attention to farming. He had all the troubles to contend with during the days that were dark, as Mr. Greene was an outspoken man, and would not only express his views, but put them into execution. He is one among the most substantial argriculturalists of Jefferson County. He was married in Boston, Mass., to Miss Louise Schuyler. They have four children--Schuyler R., Warren W., James R., and Hattie N. Mr. Greene is a member of the Masonic Fraternity.
C. A. HARDING, president of the Delaware Valley Manufacturing Company, is a native of Caroline County, Md., and was born October 21, 1826; was educated and learned the tailor's trade in his native State, which vocation he pursed a number of years, carrying on business at different points. In 1867 he came to Kansas, locating in Valley Falls. He built for a residence what is now the French Hotel. When the A. T. & S. F. R. R. reached Valley Falls he entered their employ as overseer of repairs on the track, and continued in that capacity until December, 1882, when he became interested in the Delaware Manufacturing Company. He is a man of untiring industry, good judgment, and the right man in the right place. He was married in 1863, to Miss E. J. Dickey. By this union they have three children--E. D., E. J., and Rosa E.
NOAH H. HARMAN, farmer, Section 27, P. O. Valley Falls, is a native of West Virginia and was born in Pendelton County, January 24, 1839; was there reared and educated, his early days being spent in filling the soil. In the spring of 1857 he came to Kansas, locating where he now resides, being one of the first in that part. He came in limited circumstances, entering a small tract of land, adding from time to time. His landed estate now comprises 1,100 acres. The first schoolhouse in the Twenty-First District Mr. Harmon hauled logs with an ox team to the saw-mill, placed all the framing timber on the ground, and paid half of the carpenter's bill, also donating the site, and took his chances on being compensated for it in after years. The country at that time was very sparsely settled. He has been a teacher in Virginia and Ohio, and for several terms taught in his district in Kansas. He has held the office of Justice of the Peace, and has otherwise been officially identified. He was married in 1835 to Miss Emily J. Burgoine. They have seven children-- N. W., Charles, Mary, Cynthia, John, Colfax, and Emma. His residence is located near center corner of Section 27, owning said corner and land in all directions, and fences ready for public highways, crossing by residence and near the schoolhouse.
W. C. HICKS, deceased. Among the early and representative citizens of Valley Falls is Mr. Hicks. He was a native of New York, and was born in Fenner, Madison County, in 1829. He came to Kansas, locating at Valley Falls, in the spring of 1857. For a number of years he was engaged in the hardware and implement business, and was favorably known throughout Jefferson County. His death occurred in 1878.
E. D. HILLYER, Insurance agent, is a native of Licking County, Ohio, and was born in the town of Granville, November 17, 1834. His father, Justin Hillyer, was a native of Massachusetts, born in 1800, and came to Ohio with his father, Justin Hillyer, Sr., in 1805. The mother of E. D. was Bathsheba P. Howe, a native of Vermont. She was married to Justin Hillyer in Ohio. E. D. was educated and reared in his native county, his earlier days being those of a farmer boy. His father was one of the successful and prosperous business men of Licking County, being engaged in merchandising, milling and sheep-raising. In the spring of 1857 he went to Iowa, locating in Washington, and remaining until the autumn of that year, when he came to Kansas, taking up his abode in Valley Falls. His uncle, George S. Hillyer, was at that time engaged in merchandising here, and E. D. engaged in clerking for him, continuing in that capacity until the autumn of 1861, when he tendered his services to the Union cause and was mustered in, in February, 1862, as First Lieutenant of Company E. Fifth Kansas. He went on duty at Springfield, Mo., where he was Post Adjutant for two months. From there he went to Arkansas, discharging the same duties. He participated at the memorable engagement at Helena, on July 4, 1862, and was also at the battle of Pine Bluff an Little Rock, and was on the Red River expedition, where he suffered many privations. In March, 1863, Lieutenant Hillyer was made Quartermaster of the Independent Brigade, in which capacity he served until the expiration of his term, December 1864, when he was honorably discharged. He returned to Valley Falls and turned his attention to mercantile pursuits, in which he was identified until 1869, when he sold out and entered the employ of the A. T. & S. F. R. R., as fuel and claim agent, discharging the duties of that important position five years, when he again settled in Valley Falls and turned his attention to the flouring mill business, remaining in that branch of industry until a few years ago, when he entered the service of the Masonic Aid Society, of Chicago. Mr. Hillyer has been an organizer and interested in the management of Masonic affairs since 1868. The past few years, however, he has devoted his entire attention to that laudable calling. He has filled every office in the lodge of this State, and has already attained considerable local celebrity as a lecturer. Mr. Hillyer is a gentleman of very broad views, is a deepthinker, well posted on the general topics of the day, and is a brilliant conversationalist. He was married in September, 1855, to Miss Ellen McDonald, of Ohio. They have four children--William J., Harry, Edward G. and Cora Maria.
M. P. HILLYER, P. O. Topeka, is a native of Ohio, and was born in Licking County, August 28, 1838. He was educated and resided in his native county until 1857, when he came to Kansas, locating in Valley Falls. He engaged in clerking, became interested in the real estate business and buying up land, and later in years was in the banking business. He has always had large interests entered in Valley falls, and has done more in the way of building up the town than any man in it. The grater portion of the brick structures, including Hillyer's Block, is the result of his enterprise. He has been Mayor of Valley Falls, a member of the School board, and otherwise officially identified. He was married in 1859 to Miss Hannah E. Goodrich, of Licking County, Ohio. They have three children--Gracie, Florence and May. Of late years Mr. Hillyer makes his home in Topeka, where he is also interested in property, dividing his time between each place. The ancestral history of M. P. Hillyer is given in the biography of his brother, E. D. Hillyer.
ABRAHAM HOSLER, Section 36, farmer, P. O. Valley Falls, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in York County, January 9, 1818. When fourteen years of age he came to Ohio with his parents, locating in Richland County, and residing there until 1847, when Abraham removed to Noble County, Ind., where he followed carpentering pursuits up to 1859, when he came to Andrew County, Mo., and in the spring of 1860 purchased a claim in Jefferson County, Kas., which is now his home. Mr. Hosler was among the early settlers in his locality. He had many drawbacks to contend with during the war. His stock was run off, stacks of grain burned, and other depredations, which affected him for a few years financially. Being a man of untiring industry, he soon, however, made up for its loss. Mr. H. has been four time married, his first two wives being deceased. He was married in Ohio to Miss Elizabeth Spencer. By this union he has one child, Mary Catherine. His second wife was Harriet Diffenbaugh, by whom he had five children--George W., Sarah E., Henry F., Eugene and Damon V. By his third wife, who was formerly Miss Martha E. May, of Kansas, he had seven children--William T., John C., Dora C., Larry E., James F., Martha A. and Francis A. Mr. Hosler is a carpenter by trade, which he followed for twenty-two years. For three years he carried on business in Kansas, doing considerable work on the Octagon Hotel in Valley Falls. His present wife was formerly Mrs. I. Leonard of Illinois.
E. M. HUTCHINS, liveryman, was born in Orleans County, Vt., October 22, 1832, and was reared and educated in his native State. His father, John N., was a tradesman in the town of Greensboro. When E. M. attained his majority he came West, locating temporarily in Illinois and Iowa, arriving in Kansas in the spring of 1857. He purchased a claim two miles east of Valley Falls, and at once turned his attention toward developing the same. There he resided for fifteen years, when he moved to town and erected his substantial livery barn, and has since been engaged in that line in connection with carrying on the farm. He was also interested for several years in the stock trade. During the war he was a member of the State Militia, and participated in the Missouri Price raid. In 1866 he was elected to the Legislature by the Republican party, serving one term creditably to himself and the satisfaction of the people. He is no political aspirant, being strictly an active business man. In 1855, at Independence, Iowa, he was married to Miss Polly M. Coy. By this union he has one son living, William E., and has lost one daughter, Ida A. Mr. H. is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
A. D. KENDALL, merchant, the present Mayor of the city of Valley Falls, is a native of Maine, and was born in Penobscot County, July 15, 1847. His father, Jonathan Kendall, and his mother, Dollie (Phillips) Kendall, were natives of that State. A. D. was educated and reared in the State of his birth, there residing until 1868, when he embarked in merchandising. Mr. K. is a man of sterling business qualifications, has been eminently successful, and is ranked among the substantial citizens of the county. In the spring of 1882 he was the choice of the people for Mayor of the city. In 1875 Miss Ella McDonald, an estimable lady, became his wife.
A. J. KING, farmer, Section 22, P. O. Valley Falls, is a native of West Virginia, and was born in Preston County, August 23, 1820; was educated and reared in his native State. When twenty-one years of age he removed to Wisconsin, settling in Milwaukee County. In 1850 he went to California, where he lived for fourteen years, when he returned to Virginia, living in his native county for a few years. In 1872 he came to Kansas, locating on his present farm. Mr. King is an industrious and enterprising citizen. He was married Virginia, to Miss Mary Forman. Her death occurred in Kansas in 1876.
HENRY LEGLER, proprietor Oak Hill Mills, is a native of Switzerland, and was born September 2, 1843, and came to the United States with his parents in 1845, locating in Green County, Wis., where his father, George Legler, engaged in farming, and Henry was reared. he learned the miller's trade at Orangeville, Stephenson County, Ill. In 1866 he came to Valley Falls, and became one-half owner in the Oak Hill Mills, and later sole proprietor (see sketch of mill in manufacturing interests of the county). Mr. Legler is one of the leading manufacturers in the county, and is well known in commercial circles. He was married, in 1868, to Miss Rosetta Lehman, a native of Switzerland. They have six children--Agnes A., Eliza A., Flora K., Metta J., George W., and Grace.
C. C. LORD, merchant, is a native of Ohio, and was born in Cleveland, November 23 1842; was reared and educated, and at the breaking out of the Rebellion he responded to the first call for ninety-day men; re-enlisted and veteranized, serving over three years as Orderly in Company I, Twenty-Ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, participated in a number of hard-fought engagements, and in Sherman's march to the sea; was taken prisoner, and was confined for three months at Belle Isle. He was honorable discharged at the expiration of his term. Returned to Ohio, residing until 1870, when he came to Valley Falls and embarked in the boot and shoe trade. He has since been identified with the commercial interests of Jefferson County. In 1881, his brother, T. C. Lord, became a partner in the boot and shoe and grocery trade. They are among the largest dealers in northwestern Kansas. Mr. L. has been closely identified with the educational and other interests of Valley Falls. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and the G. A. R. He has been twice married, the first time, in 1865, to Miss Marcia Frankland, of Cleveland, Ohio, by whom he had one daughter, Edith. Mrs. Lord died in 1869. In 1871 he married Miss Catharine Weaver. By this union they have three children--Annie, Hugh, and Caius.
T. C. LORD, merchant, was born in Cleveland, Ohio, September 11, 1848. His earlier days were passed in that city, where he was educated and learned the carpenter's trade. For seven years he was foreman on bridge building and repairing on the C., C. & C. R. R. in Ohio, residing the greater portion of that time at Franklin. In 1881, came to Valley Falls, Kan., and formed a copartnership with his brother, C. C. Lord, in the boot, shoe, and grocery business. In 1878, Miss Alma J. Winget of Union City, Ohio, became his wife. By the union they have one daughter, Jessie. Mr. L. is a member of the K. of P.
G. W. McCAMMON, attorney, is a native of Ohio, and was born in Muskingum County, Mary 25, 1846. His father, Zachariah, and his mother, Eliza A., are natives of Ohio, and still live on and own the farm where his mother was born. His mother's maiden name was Rutledge. Mr. McCammon was reared and educated principally in his native county, taking up the study of law under John W. King, of Zanesville, and finished his legal studies in the Cincinnati and Chicago law schools, graduating at the former. In 1863 he enlisted in Company A, Twenty-Ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry; was with Sherman on his march to the sea, and served through until the surrender of Gen. Lee. When he first came to Kansas, he taught school for a year or two in Jefferson and Leavenworth counties. 1874 he located in Chicago, Ill., and engaged in the practice of law, continuing until 1876, when he settled in Valley Falls. Mr. McCammon is a gentleman of broad views, is well read, and a conscientious and careful practitioner. He was married, November 15, 1882, to Miss Delle E. Goodrich, an esteemed and highly accomplished young lady of Valley Falls and a native of Greenville, Ohio.
R. K. McCARTNEY, insurance agent, is a native of New York, and was born in Orange County, March 21, 1833. His fathers, James, was a native of the County Antrim, Ireland. When R. K. was in his ninth year the family came west, locating in Guernsey County, Ohio. Here he was reared and educated, receiving the benefits of the Madison College, at Antrim, Guernsey Co. He pursued the vocation of teaching for several years, in Guernsey and Coshoction counties. The spring o 1863 came to Kansas, locating at Valley Falls. He established the grad in the school, and was elected County superintendent in 1864. During '64 and '65 he was also editor of the Jefferson Republican. During his sojourn in this State he has been prominently identified with the educational interests. He was interested in organizing the Kansas State Teachers' Association, and established a journal devoted to the interests of educators. He has been untiring in his efforts, and much credit is due him for what he has accomplished. He was married in 1860 to Miss Amanda J. Milligan, of Tuscarawas County, Ohio. They have two children, Jesse D., and Ethel Blanch.
G. McDANIEL, grocer and druggist, is a native of Kentucky, and was born in Bardstown, Nelson Co., May 30, 1826. His father, Lewis, was a native of that State, and in 1837 with his family emigrated to Illinois, and in 1842 came to Missouri, being one of the pioneers of Platte County where the subject of this sketch was reared into manhood, and learned the wagon making trade. At an early age he joined the State Militia, was a lieutenant under Gen. D. R. Atchison, and had made all arrangements to go with the regiment into the Mexican war. His father being opposed to his going, very quietly sent him to Kentucky to transact some business, and cut off his financial resources so that he could not return until the regiment left for the front. In 1848 he was married to Miss Sarah Gragg, of Missouri, and in 1855, in company with his father-in-law, Mr. John Gragg, came to Jefferson County, and on the 25th of march, located on claims five miles west of Grasshopper Falls; on Cedar Creek, here he resided until 1860, when he opened a wagon shop at the Falls, continuing four years, when he turned his attention to merchandising, in which line he has since been identified. Mr. McDaniel had all the difficulties to contend with during the early times, but being a man who looks the world squarely in the face, never being discouraged, he found in those days excitement enough to make it interesting. There are but few who are more favorably and popularly known throughout the surrounding country. He is a Royal Arch Mason, member of Valley Falls Lodge No. 21. He has two children, James and Mary.
A. A. MURRAY, farmer, Section 20, P. O. Valley Falls, is a native of New York, and was born in Jefferson County, July 7, 1822; was there educated and resided until he attained his twenty-fourth year; came to Illinois, locating in Macon, where he engaged in merchandising, and was identified with the commercial interests of Decatur County for thirty years. In 1878 came to Kansas, settling on his farm, where he now resides. Mr. Murray is a business man, and also a success as an agriculturist. He has been twice married; is a member of the Masonic Fraternity.
J. H. MURRAY, merchant, was bon in New York City, July 26, 1837; was there educated and reared; in earlier life pursued the vocation of clerking. In 1856, went to Texas, then to New Mexico, where for a number of years he was engaged in mercantile pursuits in Mora County. In 1875 came to Kansas, embarking in trade in the town of Louisville, Pottawatamie County, continuing there until the autumn of 1881, when he established in Valley Falls. Mr. M. is a far-seeing business man, commanding his share of the trade. He was married in 1867 to Miss Angeline Johnson, of Johnson County, Mo. They have five children, Annie C., Chas. E., Laura, John and Nellie. He is a member of the Masonic Order.
D. B. NORTHRUP, physician and surgeon, is a son of Dr. Lorenzo Northrup and Jane Gray (Brooke) Northrup. He was born in Stark County, Ohio, May 27, 1855, and came to Valley Falls, Kansas, with his parents, when six months old. He received the benefits of the early educational advantages of the village, after which he attended the University at Baldwin City. He adopted the medical profession, at an early age taking up the study under the tutorship of his father. Took lectures at the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Kansas City, graduating from that institution March 2, 1880. He at once engaged in practice at Valley Falls, and has attained a well merited record among the practitioners in Jefferson County. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. and medical examiner for the Valley Falls lodge of that order.
LORENZO NORTHRUP, M. D., one of the pioneer physicians in Kansas, and one who has figured prominently with the early history of Jefferson County, is the subject of this sketch. He is a native of New York, and was born in Jefferson, Schoharie County, May 10, 1819. He is the son of Israel and Sarah (Baily) Northrup. His maternal grandfather was a musician in the Revolutionary War. Lorenzo was educated at the Homer Academy in New York. In 1840, entered on the study of medicine, attended the Willoughby Medical School, and in 1843 commenced to practice. His father was a farmer, an desirous that his son should assume the same vocation, but with a determined purpose, his tastes dictating this course, he persevered, unaided, until he acquired a thorough knowledge of his adopted profession. His first practice was in Ravenna, Ohio. At this time the treatment of strabismus, or cross eyes, was in its infancy, and Dr. Northrup was among the first to introduce it into practice, and became very successful. He attained a wide reputation for proficiency as an anatomist, and skill as a surgeon. He removed from Ravenna to Limaville, Ohio, continuing his practice there for a time, thence to Newcastle, Pa., and after a temporary sojourn, returned to Limaville, residing there until 1853, when he came to Kansas, locating in Valley Falls, where up to the present time, 1882, he has successfully practiced medicine and surgery. In 1857, he built a schoolhouse at Valley Falls, and employed a teacher at his own expense, so deeply was he interested in the education of not only his own family, but the children of his neighbors. This was the first school in the town, and is conceded to be the first in the county. He was a member of the school board for four consecutive terms, and largely through his exertions and contributions the present substantial and attractive school house was built. In 1869, he attended a course of lectures at the Rush Medical College, Chicago, and, in 1873, another course at Bellevue Hospital Medical College, New York City. Politically, the doctor was a Whig and a strong Anti-slavery man. When he came to Kansas he identified himself with the Free-state party, and has acted with the Republican party since its organization. While in Ohio was President of the Alliance Medical Society of Stark County. Religiously, he accepts the Methodist Episcopal doctrine. The doctor has been, and still is, a close student, has a good memory, and is possessed of that faculty of conveying his ideas in any easy manner. He is very tenacious, and once his mind is made up, it requires more than an ordinary effort to have him chance his opinions. He was married in 1844, to Miss Jane Gray Brooke, of Ellswoth, Mahoning (then Trumbull) County, Ohio. She was the daughter of James Brooke. Her grandfather Brooke was a citizen of Maryland, and was the first man in that State to manumit his slaves, being compelled under the then existing laws of the State to become responsible for their conduct, which, in his zeal for the cause, he cheerfully did. Dr. Northrup and wife have five children--Hester M. B., Elmer B., Kirtland B., Daniel B. and Kate.