|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
This thriving village, situated on the Kansas Central Railroad, eight and one-half miles from Holton, was surveyed in 1863, by Thomas Jefferson Anderson. A Town Company, prior to this, had filed on the half section north of this, for the town of New Brighton, but the Land Agent refused to let them pre-empt it, and Mr. Rufus Oursler started the town of Circleville. It received its name from a suggestion that as the town had been circling round the prairie Circleville would be a fitting name. Mr. Oursler started a store, and purchased a saw-mill that had been erected there, and converted it into an establishment for grinding wheat and corn, carding wool, and sawing lumber. In the middle of 1880 Mr. Henry Stanley completed one of the best mills in the country on the site of the old one.
Circleville proper contains fifteen blocks. The Kansas Central Railroad passes through the southwest corner of Block 11, which lies in the southwest part of the town. The railroad depot is just south of Block 11, the Augusta Flouring Mills of Henry Stanley, on the Elk, being west of the depot. The village contains a hotel, bank, Methodist Episcopal Church and parsonage, and the usual number of general stores and workshops that make a flourishing Kansas town.
The Circleville Hotel, Dr. A. Y. Hanson, proprietor, is situated in the south side of Cain's Addition, a block east of the central part of the town. North of Cain's Addition and extending five lots further east, is Nazman's Addition.
Oursler's Bank is on the southwest corner of Block 3. Rufus Oursler attends to the banking business, and C. A. Oursler is postmaster of the place.
Circleville Lodge, No. 20, A., F. & A. M-- This lodge is large and prosperous. James H. Baxter is W. M. and C. A. Oursler Secretary. T. J. Anderson, present postmaster of Topeka, and who surveyed this town in 1863, located with his farther near its site in December, 1857. March 12, 1858, he and his father went to Holton to assist in the organization of the Republican party there. Attempts were made to mob the members of the convention by the Pro-slavery party, and in the melee, the elder Mr. Anderson had his skull broken. He recovered from the injury, however, and is now a resident of Topeka, coming first to that city as State Treasurer, a nd afterwards living in Holton.
JAMES H. BAXTER, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Circleville, was born in Campbell County, Tenn., in 1830. In 1850 he moved to Platte County, Mo., and in 1858 to Jackson County, Kan., settling about a mile from his present location on Section 32, Township 36, Range 14. He has been twice married, first in 1852, in Platte County, Mo., to Miss Eliza McClair, who died in 1870, and by whom he had eight children, Allison W., Thomas, Franklin, William H., William P., Levi G., Matilda, E and John. In 1874 he married again to Miss Lucy A. McComas, and has five children by this marriage, Clarence, Edwin, Fanny, Lloyd and an infant. He has served one term as Trustee of Jefferson Township. Is a member of Circleville Lodge, No. 20, A., F. & A. M.
EBER L. BROWN, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 5, Township 6, Range 14, P. O., Ontario, is the son of Zara and Nancy E. Brown, and was born in Iroquis County, Ill, November 24, 1854. In the spring of 1859 the family removed to Kansas, locating on the farm on which Mr. Brown now resides. His father died February 20, 1864. Subsequently his mother married M. Blue. She has been the efficient postmistress of Ontario for eight years. The family ranks among the old, prominent and prosperous settlers of the State. Mr. Brown was married near Independence, Mo., in 1878 to Miss Isabella Dalton, a native of Missouri. They have three children who are named Dora Josephine, Gracie Isabel and Frank Lorenzo. Mr. Brown owns the farm on which his father located in 1859. It is fine second bottom, contains ninety acres, is all enclosed. Is in a good state of cultivation and has plenty of timber and water. The improvements are first class and embrace among others, a spacious and elegant eight-room frame dwelling, a frame barn twenty-four feet square, and other out buildings. Mr. Brown grows 1,500 bushels of corn, keeps half a dozen milch cows, thirty to fifty stock hogs and six head of fine horses. Mr. Brown is an industrious, economical and thoroughly practical farmer, is popular among his neighbors and is accumulating a handsome competence.
JOSEPH COOK, farmer, P. O. Circleville, was born in Ross County, Ohio, in 1813. He was brought up to the carpenter trade. In 1858 he moved to Kansas and located on his present location. Section 9, Township 6, Range 14. He worked at his trade for some twelve to fifteen years after his removal to Kansas, since which time he has turned his attention to farming. He was married in 1845 at Circleville, Pike Co., Ohio, and has one child living, Ellen E. Myers. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Is also a member of Exchange Grange, No. 1,202.
JOHN DEARDORFF, farmer, Section 20, Township 6, Range 14, P. O. Circleville, was born in Greene County, Ohio, in 1827. In 1832 his parents moved to Indiana, and shortly afterwards to Iowa, locating first in Henry and then in Mahaska County. In 1856 he moved to Kansas Territory, settling within one half mile from where he now resides. He was married in Mahaska County, Iowa, in 1851 to Miss Mary A. Gorsuch, and has six children. Joshua, Mary, William, Laura, Effie and Hugh. He was the first Justice of the Peace elected in Jefferson Township, and was first elected in 1859 and served some years. In 1879 he was elected County Commissioner, and served two terms. He has also served as Township Trustee. He was a member of the Twentieth Kansas Militia, and was called out during Price's raid in this State in 1864.
GEORGE KARNS, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 5, Township 6, Range 14, P. O. Ontario, was born in Morrow County, Ohio, in 1843, and lived in his native State until June 16, 1861, when he entered the Union army as a member of Company I. Third Ohio Volunteer Infantry, enlisting at Cardington, Ohio, and was discharged at Camp Dennison, Ohio, June 21, 1864. He participated in the battles of Rich Mountain, Va., Perryville, Murfreesboro, and numerous minor engagements. On the "Streight Raid" he was captured by the Rebel forces under Maj.-Gen. Forrest, near Rome, Ga., and after being held a prisoner about a month, part of this time being confined on Belle Isle, he was paroled. After his release he was on detached duty at Chattanooga, Tenn., until the final muster out of his regiment. After his discharge from the Third Ohio, he proceeded to St. Louis where he joined "Merrill's Horse," becoming a member of Company M of this regiment. He enlisted in September, 1864, and served until the close of the war, being finally discharged at Chattanooga, Tenn., in June, 1865. In the spring of 1866 he became a resident of Kansas, locating in America, Nemaha County, where he resided eighteen months and then returned to Ohio where he resided but three months and then returned to Kansas and located on his farm in Jefferson Township, Jackson County, where he has since resided. He is a demitted member of Nemaha Lodge, No. 13, A., F. & A. M., and of Graham Post of Wetmore, G. A. R. Mr. Karns was married in Cardington, Ohio, January 23, 1868, to Miss Caroline Kehrwecker, a native of Ohio. They have seven children whose names are Mary Francis, John Wesley, Anna Bell, Albert Clay, Mande May, Sarah Catherine, and William Edward. Mr. Karns is the fortunate owner of four fine farms which together contain 722 acres. These farms are all enclosed, are in a high state of cultivation, are well supplied with timber and water, and rank among the best in Nemaha and Jackson counties. The home farm is well improved by a neat and cozy residence, a good barn and out buildings and handsome groves and orchards. MR. Karns grows 3,000 bushels of corn, 500 bushels of small grain, and cuts 200 tons of hay yearly, has 860 acres in pasture, feeds three car loads of cattle, keeps 100 fine grade cattle, 100 to 150 stock hogs, eight head of horses and in connections with Mr. M. Worthy has 700 choice merino sheep. At the head of his fine herd of cattle is "Little Oxford," a thoroughbred Short-horn bull, a magnificent animal and of undoubted pedigree. Mr. Karns is an intelligent, enterprising and thorough farmer and stock-raiser and a prosperous, popular and trustworthy citizen.
THOMAS F. LAMAR, farmer, P. O. Wetmore, was born December, 19, 1833, in Frederick County, Md., where his father and grandfather were born. The family settled in 1846 or 1847, in Champaign County, Ohio, and from that State, in April 1861, T. F. Lamar enlisted in the Thirteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, served out three months, and re-enlisted in the Twenty-sixth Ohio. Was in the Army of the Cumberland, and with the gallant General Nelson, whose advance succored in Grant's army at Pittsburg Landing. Fought at Shiloh and Corinth, and pursued Bragg into Kentucky, and was under Rosecrans at Stone River, where for seven days and nights he did not divest himself of overcoat or boots. Was then in camp till June, 1863, and after the Cumberland Mountain Campaign, took part in the bloody Chattanooga Campaign, and in the terrible slaughter at Chickamauga, September 19, 1863, when he was captured by the Confederates and held prisoner in prisons in Danville, VA., Richmond, Andersonville, and Florence, S. C., until April, 1865. Was in the Andersonville prison pen from April to September, 1864, witnessing and experiencing all the horrors, beyond the power of human tongue or pen to describe, of that awful place. He, with 6,500 others, was placed therein, kept there six months, and not over 500 ever came out alive. Released on a parole of honor at Salisbury, N. C. he came north about the close of the war, remained about two years in Ohio, and in 1867, brought his wife, (nee Emma I. Reid, of Liberty, Champaign County, Ohio), to Kansas and settled on the farm where he now lives. Mr. Lamar has made good improvements and reared a family of six children - Robert, Bennie, Charles Wm. (now deceased), Jenny, Schuyler Colfax, May R., Hamilton Grant, all born in Kansas.
WILLIAM S. LEWIS, farmer, P. O. Circleville, was born in Harrison County, KY., in 1833. In 1856 he went to Platte County MO., and in 1861 to Jackson County, Kan., locating on Elk Creek, two miles northwest of Circleville, and in 1879 to his present location on Section 5, Township 6, Range 14. In 1864, he was a member of the Kansas Militia. He was married in 1858 in Platte County, Mo., to Miss America J. Treble, and has five children - James A., Robert D., Richard D., Margaret A., and Missouri E. He was Clerk of the School Board for three years.
G. W. LOGAN, farmer, Massillon, Ohio, came to Jackson County in 1868, and bought southeast quarter Section 2, Township 7, Range 16, which he intends to make his future home. He was born in Beaver County, PA., in 1838, where he was raised. In 1859 he went to Ohio, and engaged in farming near Massillon. In 1862, he enlisted in Company C, Forty-eighth Ohio Infantry, but after three months service he was discharged for physical disability. He returned to Ohio and to his farm, where he has since lived. He was married in 1860 to Miss Clara Barber, of Beaver County, PA., and has three children - John M, Edwin E. and Clara B. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
MOSES W. MYERS, farmer, P. O. Circle, was born in Hancock County, Ohio, June 4, 1845. In 1860 his parents moved to Jackson County, Kan. In 1862 he enlisted in Company B, Eleventh Kansas Cavalry, and was in the battles of Prairie Grove, Cane Hill, and all the engagements of his regiment, and was mustered out at Fort Leavenworth, in 1865, when he returned to Jackson County, and engaged in farming. He was married in 1867, to Miss Ellen E. Cook, and has one child - Martha M. He is a member of Circleville Grange, No. 1,202.
F. C. NUZMAN, dealer in hardware and lumber, was born in Mechlenburg-Schwerin, Germany, in 1834. In 1855 he emigrated to America, and settled near Westville, La Porte County, Ind., where he engaged in farming until 1860, when he removed to Jackson County, Kan., settling on a farm one mile west of Circleville. In 1862 he enlisted in Company B, Eleventh Kansas Cavalry, and was at the battles of Cane Hill, Prairie Grove, Fort Wayne, and all the engagements of his regiment. He was mustered out at the close of the war in 1865, and returned to his farm in Jackson County, where he remained until 1881, when he engaged in the hardware and lumber trade at Circleville. His sales amounted to $21,000 the first year. He has been twice married, first in 1857, in La Porte County, Ind., to Miss Catherine Hendricks, who died in 1866. He was again married in 1868, to Miss Mary J. Anderson, of Jefferson township, and has five children, four living, viz: - Elsie, Nora, Fred and Scott. He has at different times held the offices of Township Trustee and Clerk. He is a member of Circleville Lodge, No. 20, A., F. & A. M.
HON. RUFUS OURSLER, banker, is one of the earliest settlers of Jefferson Township, and the founder of Circleville, was born in Brown County, Ohio, in 1826, and is the fourth son of John Oursler. In 1830 his parents moved to Putnam, and shortly after to Hendricks County, Ind., settling near Plainfield, where the subject of this sketch received his education, and where he lived in 1853, when he went to Indianapolis and engaged in the mercantile business. In May, 1857, he located at Leavenworth, Kan., and engaged in general merchandising. In 1858 he moved to New Brighton, about one mile from the present site of Circleville, and opened a general store. In 1860 he laid out the present town site of Circleville, starting a grist and saw-mill, a carding machine and a general store. From 1865 to 1867 he was in the wholesale dry goods business at Leavenworth, still retaining his business interests at Circleville. In 1868 he sold out his store and mill and engaged in the stock business until 1876, when he started the bank of Circleville. He was united in marriage to Miss Pheba A. Worth, at Plainfield, Ind., in 1849, and has three children - C. A. Alphonso, and Florence. In 1863 he was elected to the State Senate and served one term. he is a member of Circleville Lodge, No. 20, A., F. & A. M.
HENRY STANLEY, proprietor Augusta Mills, was born in Campbell County, Tenn., in 1826. In 1830 his parents moved to Putnam County, Ind., and in 1839 to Dallas County, Mo., and subsequently to Ray County. He learned the carpenters' and the wagon makers' trade. In 1859 he moved to Kansas Territory, and located in the southern part of Nemaha County. In 1860 he moved to Leavenworth County, and in 1867 to this place. In 1880 he built the Augusta Mills, at a cost of $8,000. In 1846 he was married to Miss Sarah A. Campbell, in Dallas County, Mo., who died in 1872, leaving Edwin J., Laura E., Julia A., John J., and William B. In 1873 he was married to Miss Letitia Baxter, of Jackson County, Kan., by whom he has five children - Elizabeth, Laura M., Stella M., Lulu, and Allen C. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was a member of the State Militia during the war, and was called out to repel Price when on his raid in 1864, and was taken prisoner at Westport, but escaped through the hurry of Price's movements.
GEORGE W. WHITE, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Circleville, was born in Philadelphia, Pa., in 1807. In 1832 he went to Huron County, Ohio, and in 1837 moved to Tazewell Co, Ill., and in 1840 to Arkansas, and in 1852 to Dade County, Mo., and in May, 1861, he located in Jackson County, first on Soldier Creek, then at Tippinsville, and in 1877, to his present location on Section 34, Township 6, Range 14. He was married near Fremont, Ohio, in 1834, to Miss Margaret Minter, and has twelve children - Mary, Henrietta, Margaret, Emeline, Julia, Elizabeth, and Lucy, James P., John M., Daniel W., Henry C., and George V. Mr. White served in the Mexican war, enlisting in Company B, Second Arkansas Cavalry in 1846, serving one year, his term of enlistment. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
This village is situated ten miles north of Holton, on the Central Branch of the Missouri Pacific Railroad, thirty-seven miles west of Atchison, and was laid out in 1866. The railroad runs from southeast to northwest, and the town is blocked out to adjust itself with the same: the railroad running on Commercial Street and Main, on which the bulk of the business is done, being parallel thereto on the north.
B. F. Baughn was the first settler on the town site. He commenced the first building, which he called the Netawaka House, and partially finished it. The original proprietor of the house was Mrs. Brown. The building is now the property of P. G. Kinney, and its present proprietor Mrs. L. D. Nichols. The City Hotel is under the management of Mrs. Amanda Bibb.
Edward W. Kenyon, the pioneer merchant, is a native of Windham County, Conn. In the autumn of 1867, he built the first store in Netawaka, and in January, 1868, opened the first stock of goods. He was the first station agent and land agent for the Kickapoo lands in charge of the C. B. U. P. Railroad. He was appointed postmaster in 1868, and still holds the office. The office at New Eureka, in the south part of the township, has been discontinued since 1870. The Kenyon Hall, which is used for public purposes, lectures, concerts, etc., is in the second story of Mr. Kenyon's store.
The Grangers have a hall and a store in the town, but their meetings are irregularly held.
The grist-mill was built in 1881, by A. J. Evans & Sons. It is a fine mill; value, $11,000, and is a great acquisition to the town. The Baptists, Presbyterians and Methodists have each church organizations, but the Baptists are few in number, and without a pastor. The other denominations worship in a church edifice, in which they both have interests. The Presbyterian Church has about twenty members. Its pastor is Rev. D. R. Todd. The organization was commenced in 1878. The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1876 with ten members. Rev. Mr. Mayer is the present Pastor. The Protestant Episcopalians organized a church in 1870. Rev. Mr. Turner, pastor; but a removal of some of the members to other sections has weakened the church so that it rarely holds service. In March, 1881, the Liberal Lecture Association was organized. Hon. D. H. Sutherland, who lives some two miles southwest of Netawaka, was chosen President, and E. W. Kenyon, Secretary. Their meetings are held at Kenyon's Hall, from time to time.
In 1870, Mr. Frank H. Stout, who is now connected with the Holton Recorder, started the Netawaka Herald, but in October, 1871, he sold the paper to parties from Irving, who removed it to that place.
June 4, 1872, George S. Irwin commenced the publication of the Netawaka Chief, but September 24, 1872 he sold it to A. J. Best and H. D. Sprague. Messrs. Best & Sprague in January, 1873, sold the Chief to H. L. Roberts, who published it till July 14, 1874, when he moved to Hiawatha, and there established the Herald and has now associated with him in its management, T. L. Brundage.
Netawaka has a good schoolhouse costing $2,000, and ten teachers are employed. The Masons have a thriving lodge, of which Mr. John Gibbons is the present W. M.
ADAM AMON, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 2, Township 5, Range 15, P. O. Netawaka, was born in Germany in 1842. When six years old his parents emigrated to America, settling near Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. In 1852, they moved to Marshall County, Illinois. On becoming old enough to work, Adam found employment at coal mining which he followed until 1867, when he engaged in farming. In 1870 he moved to his present location in Jackson County, Kansas, where he bought eighty acres, and now owns 320 acres, 170 being under cultivation, with excellent buildings, orchard and other improvements. His attention is largely turned to stock-raising. He was married April 5, 1866 to Miss Elizabeth Bennett, of Marshall County, Illinois, and has four children: Ella, Charles, Clara, and Roscoe.
THOMAS DAILEY, farmer, P. O. Netawaka, was born in 1830, in Grand Isle County, Vt. The family removed in 1844 to Licking County, Ohio, then to Miami County where his mother died in 1853. The farther and his sons came to Kansas in 1860, and settled near the line of Brown and Nemaha counties. Thomas Dailey remained in Atchison County during 1860, and settled where he now is on Spring Creek in 1862. He began with raw prairie, the only improvement being a new frame house. He now has good buildings, an apple orchard of 200 trees, and is in good circumstances. His father, Thomas Dailey, born in 1789, in Ireland, died July 24, 1865 in Kansas. His son and namesake married Anna E. Davidson, a native of Pennsylvania, as a second wife. He has a daughter Alice, by this marriage; by former marriage has two children, Charles Dailey and Mary A. Dailey.
M. A. FUNCHESS, dealer in drugs, stationery and jewelry, was born in Copiah County, Mississippi, in June, 1854. In January, 1871, he moved with his parents to Netawaka, Kansas, where he attended the public schools. In 1873-74 he attended the Normal School at Lawrence, Kansas; in 1875-76 he attended the University at Highland, Kansas. In 1877-78, was principal of the Netawaka high school. In 1878, on a limited capital opened a drug store and now has a large stock of goods and a prosperous trade. he was married in 1880, to Miss Rosa Hoaglin, a daughter of Judge Hoaglin, of Holton, Kansas. They have one child, Clyde.
E. W. KENYON, dealer in general merchandise, and postmaster, was born in Plainfield, Windham County, Connecticut, in 1838. Here he attended the commercial schools, then the Plainfield Academy. At the age of eighteen he taught his first school. In 1856, he attended the high school in East Greenwich, R. I. and the Suffield Academy until 1860, when he went to Illinois, where he engaged in farming and teaching school until 1864, when he enlisted as a recruit in Company C., Fifty-ninth Illinois Infantry, joining the company at Pulaski, Tennessee, and took part in the battles of Nashville and Franklin, and was discharged at Nashville, Tennessee, June 14, 1865 when he returned to his old home in Connecticut where he remained for a short time; going in the fall of the same year to Vineland, New Jersey, where he engaged in general merchandise, until the fall of 1867, when he came to Kansas and opened the first stock of general merchandise in that place, and during the early days his sales ran as high as $50,000. In 1868 on the establishing of a post-office, he was appointed postmaster which position, with the exception of two years he has since filled. He was station and express agent from 1868 to 1870. He has been prominently identified with the settlement of Netawaka and has been foremost in everything that would add to the place. He was married in 1865 at Waltham, La Salle County, Illinois, to Miss Susan Lathrop, of Griswold, Connecticut. They have three children: Julia A, Allie E. and Arthur E. In politics Mr. Kenyon has always been a Republican and has always been an active worker for that party. He has been Justice of the Peace and member of the School Board for some years and is at present one of the County Commissioners.
ROBERT LITTLE, farmer, Section 32, P. O. Netawaka, was born in Hendricks County, Indiana, in 1819, and was raised a farmer. In 1860, he moved to Kansas and located near Circleville for one season, when he moved to his present location then a piece of raw prairie. He now owns 540 acres of Kansas soil, 200 of which are under plow. In 1860 he was married to Miss Maria Worth, of Hendricks County, Indiana, and has six children: Mary A., Harriet A., Lawrence, Charles, Alice and Emma.
HENRY LUECK, farmer, P. O. Netawaka, was born in 1843, in Pomerania, Prussia, and came with his parents to the United States in 1856. In April, 1857, the family came to Kansas buying for $50 a 160 acre claim 80 acres of which are part of the Lueck farm of today. A clapboard-roofed log house was built here and for two years the family lived on the bare ground; no doors or windows save apertures cut in the log sides of this indeed primitive habitation. The father, Daniel Lueck, died January 18, 1881, and the two sons, Ferdinand and Henry, are both wealthy farmers, the former owning 640, and the latter 400 acres. Louisa Lueck, a sister, married Fred Mell who owns eighty acres of the original claim. Henry Lueck has first-class buildings and improvements, as have his brother and brother-in-law. His wife was Elizabeth Porr, a native of Rhenish Bavaria, and they have six children all born on the Netawaka farm. Mr. Lueck served as a Kansas volunteer in the Civil war from 1862 to 1865, serving in the pursuit of the Rebel guerrillas Quantrell and Price, in Arkansas and the Cherokee country, losing part of his hand in January, 1863.
ANDREW NEAL, law and real estate is one of the pioneers of Kansas, coming to the State in 1856, and settled in Ellwood, Doniphan County, where he obtained a clerkship in a general store, which position he held until 1866, when he went to Wathena in the same capacity, remaining until 1869, when he went to Missouri. In 1870 he located in Netawaka and engaged in the mercantile business with T. D. S. McDonald under the firm of McDonald & Co. In 1870 the firm became Riggs & Co., and in 1874 he sold out to his partner, when he opened a law and real estate office and has since followed that calling. In addition to his profession he has devoted a portion of his time to the successful raising of all kinds of fruit grown in the State and now has forty acres in bearing condition. He was born in New Brunswick, B. P., in 1831. In 1839 his parents moved to Eastern Maine where he was raised, and lived until 1856, when he came to Kansas. He was married in 1855 at Gardiner, Maine to Miss Mary A. Olives, and has three children: Florence, Cora, and Nora. His politics are Republican, and he has always taken an active part in local issues. He has held the office of Justice of the Peace for nine years. Is a member of Polar Star Lodge No. 130, A., F. & A. M., Netawaka.
L. P. PADDOCK, physician and surgeon, oculist and aurist, was born in Herkimer County, New York, in 1828, and was raised in Monroe County, where he attended school and graduated at Genesee College. From 1853 to 1856 he was a teacher in Penn Yan Academy. In 1857 he was chosen principal of Henderson College, Mendota, Illinois, remaining in that position until 1861 when he returned to New York and was appointed principal of Avon Springs University where he remained until 1864, when he began the study of medicine at Rush Medical College, Illinois, graduating in 1867, when he came to Kansas, locating in Leavenworth where he remained three years, coming to Netawaka in 1870, where he has since been engaged in the practice of medicine and the treatment of eye and ear diseases at which he has been remarkably successful. Mr. Paddock has been twice married: in 1855 at Mendon, New York, to Miss Elizabeth S. Wood who died leaving one child, Elizabeth A.; in 1866, he was married to Mrs. Josephine A. Bowen, at Morrison, Illinois. He is a member of the Jackson County Medical Society and also of the State Medical Association, and takes an active part in all the meetings of the societies.
H. H. POSTON, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 4, Township 15, Range 15, P. O. Netawaka, was born in Athens County, Ohio. In 1852 his parents moved to La Porte County, Ind. In May, 1862, when but twenty years old, he enlisted in Company A, Eighty-seventh Indiana Infantry, and took part in the battles of Crab Orchard, Chickamauga, Mission Ridge and in all the battles of his regiment, and was with Sherman on his march to the sea. He was not absent from his regiment from the time of his enlistment until his discharge at Indianapolis in June, 1865. After the war he returned to La Porte County and engaged in farming until 1868, when he came to Kansas, homesteading forty acres on Section 4, Township 5, Range 15, Jackson County. Coming here with no capital but energy, he has added to his original homestead until he now has 410 acres, all under fence and 200 acres under cultivation, with good orchard, buildings and other improvements. He was married in 1870 to Miss Lydia Grubb of Brown County, Kan., and has three children - Walter, Ernest and Leonard, the latter twins. He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic.
A. P. RIDER, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 27, Township 5, Range 15, P. O. Netawaka, was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., in 1835, and was educated in Perry Centre, N. Y. In 1855 he went to Calhoun County, Mich., where he engaged in farming until 1865, when he moved to Jackson County, Kan., and engaged in stock-raising and farming and was at one time a very large buyer and shipper of stock. He has 320 acres of land finely improved. He was married in 1865 in Calhoun County, Mich., and has two children - Ida and Hattie. He has served one term as Township Trustee.
J. F. SMITH, farmer, P. O. Netawaka, came to the State in 1860, settling at Atchison, where he engaged in freighting across the plains until 1869, when he purchased and moved to his present farm in Jackson County. He now owns 700 acres, 400 acres under cultivation, and is largely engaged in stock-raising. Mr. Smith is a native of Ireland and was born in 1835. His parents emigrated to America in 1845, settling at Evansville, Ind.; thence to Warren County, Ind., where he lived until 1852, going to Kentucky, where he stayed one year, moving to Burlington, Iowa. He was married in 1859 at Burlington, Iowa, to Miss Bridget Reagan, and has ten children, viz: Annie M, John T., Nellie, Eliza, Kate, Phenie, Maggie, Mathias, James, and Rophie. During the war Mr. Smith was a member of the State Militia and took part in the battle of Westport during Price's raid.
GEORGE SPRAGUE, livery stable and drug store, was born Beardstown, Cass County, Ill., in 1853. In 1864 his parents moved to St. Louis, Mo., where he attended school until 1868, when he came to Kansas and located in Jackson County three miles west of Netawaka and engaged in farming until 1874, when he moved to Netawaka and engaged in the drug business and shortly afterwards in the livery, and has since followed the same. He was married at Netawaka, Kan., September 8, 1873, to Miss Lavina Winlan, and has four children - Grace, Harry, Frank and Vina.
I. TRAVIS, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Netawaka, was born in Fayette County, Pa., August 14, 1820. In 1828 his parents moved to West Virginia, settling below Wheeling; here he lived until 1832, when he went to Van Buren County, Iowa, and engaged in farming until 1859, when he moved to Jackson, then Calhoun County, settling on Straight Creek five miles north of Holton. He was one of the pioneers of this county and was an active member of the Free-State party in Territorial days. September 11, 1861, he enlisted in Company A, Fifth Kansas Cavalry and was wounded at Barnesville, in 1861, in the hand, so badly that an amputation was necessary. On his recovery he was discharged on account of disability, at Fort Scott, Kan., March 17, 1862. He was united in marriage with Miss Harriet Safeman, at Wheeling, W. VA., August 25, 1844, and has two children - F. G. W. and Eliza J. He is a member of Will Wendell Post No. 46, Holton, Jackson Co, Kan.