|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
WILLIAM D. BARNETT, deceased, was born at Barnett, Caledonia Co., Vt., March 1, 1820. His education was received at the Concord schools and the Peacham Academy. When seventeen years of age, he removed, with his parents, to Macoupin County, Ill. One year later he began the study of medicine in the office of his brother-in-law, at Rock River, Ill, and in 1839 he attended medical lectures at St. Louis. With the preparation thus made, Dr. Barnett was enabled to accept the position of hospital steward and meteorologist at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., where he remained in active service until 1814. Going from there to Weston, Mo., he engaged in the drug business, and also taught school a portion of the time. In 1854 Mr. Barnett became the first settler in Muscotah, Kan., naming the town, and erecting the first wooden bridge in Atchison County. Among the pioneer accomplishments accredited to him are the burning of the first kiln of lime and the setting out of the first orchard. He also organized the Jackson County Horticultural Society, of which he was Vice-President at the time of his death. In 1854 he was appointed Justice of the Peace for Muscotah, and held the office several years. During the political troubles which agitated Kansas at an early day, Mr. Barnett took positive stand with the Free-State party. He was elected a member of the first Free-State Legislature, which met at Topeka, in 1856, and was dispersed by the United States troops. His experience at that period was fraught with danger. In 1857 he was elected County Commissioner of Atchison County, and in 1866, he was chosen Superintendent of Public Instruction of Jackson County. In 1864 Mr. Barnett located upon the northeast quarter of Section 6, Township 6, Range 16, in Jackson County, where he resided at the date of his death, which occurred in March, 1883. For about four years after his arrival here he owned and operated a grist-mill and saw-mill, but of late years was engaged in farming. He owned the largest nursery in the county, and probably no man contributed more to the pomological interests of the region than he. The deceased was a man of more than ordinary natural intellectual abilities, which, in the absence of educational advantages, he had improved by reading and study. Had he been place in more favorable conditions and circumstances, he would have been a man of marked influence. As it was, what he did entitles him to the grateful remembrance of the people of his county. Mr. Barnett was twice married, first to Miss Roach, by whom he had four children - Samuel, William, Albert and Ella. His second wife was Miss Ewell, of Kentucky, by whom he had five children - Emeline, Lucy, Belle, Clara and Cora.
PROF. E. GRAVES, bandmaster of the Holton Cornet Band, was born in London, England, and comes of a family of remarkable musicians. His father, William Graves, himself a fine musician, is the father of ten children, and each and every one of them are performers of far more than ordinary merit. John, the eldest, had played in the band of the Grenadier Guards and others of note, and is now leader of the orchestra in the Alhambra Theatre, London. W. T. Graves is undoubtedly the first cornetist in England today, as he took Levy's place in the Argyle Rooms, and as a musical composer has few equals in that city. John Graves went through the Indian mutiny in the band of the Seventeenth Lancers, and is now bandmaster of the Cambridge Volunteers. Charles Graves is one of the band in Inns at Court, one of the finest in London, and W. W. Graves and the father are at Watford. E. Graves came to America in 1871, and soon won a fine position. His solo instrument is the slide trombone. In his opinion the Americans are bright, smart, and quick to learn music. He has taught the Holton band for about eighteen months past and made it one of the popular institutions of that city, and likewise organized a fine band of sixteen pieces at Tippinsville in Jackson County, and the Netawaka and Wetmore bands have both been thoroughly re-organized and trained by him. His duties as teacher prevented his acceptance of the proffered judgeship at the State band contest held in Topeka during the fall of 1882. The Professor is about to take charge of the Seneca and Sabetha bands, and is probably the only professional band instructor in Northeastern Kansas.
MADISON GREEN JACOBS, farmer, Section 18, P. O. Holton, came to Kansas in March, 1868, settled near where he now lives and has been engaged in farming ever since. He bought the farm, which he has ever since occupied as a home, in the spring of 1869, cleared, fenced and improved it. He has been closely attentive to his farm and family, having in fifteen years been away from home but twice, once in 1860 and once on a visit to his old home in Kentucky, leaving home September 12, and returning October 29, and recently on a visit to friends and relatives in the State of Illinois. He has never aspired to office, but has always been regarded as a useful man in his neighborhood, serving as Road Supervisor fours years and a member of the School Board four years. He was born in Lawrence County, Ky., May 20, 1837, son of Carter H. and Mary Jacobs. His parents were natives of Virginia. At an early age he removed with his parents into the woods of Carter County, Ky., where they cleared and improved a new farm. He was reared and schooled in this county until sixteen years of age, and from childhood was inured to labor and hardships. In the spring of 1853 he removed with his parents to an improved farm on the Little Fork of Little Sandy River, and again in 1856 to Tygert's Creek, same county, and in June, 1857, his father, aged sixty-six, died of fever. He was the father of fourteen children, one of whom preceded him to the spirit world and two others shortly followed. When the estate was finally settled up the mother and children were scattered and Madison Green Jacobs moved to Kansas in the spring of 1868. He was married in Carter County, Ky., December 9, 1858, to Zerilda E. Riggs, a native of Kentucky and daughter of George W. and Delilah Riggs. They have ten living children - George C., Joseph S., Clarinda A., Delilah M., William M., James T., Nathan A., Charles Q., Arthur G., and Ida May, and one son who was twin of Charles Q., deceased. Mr. Jacobs was baptized in Carter County, KY., in the year 1853 by Henry Mavity, a minister of the Christian Church, and has ever since been a faithful and consistent member of the Church of Christ. He has served during the last nine years as elder of the Holton City Christian Church and bears an unblemished reputation as an honest man and zealous Christian.
L. M. MYERS, County Treasurer, was born in Shenandoah County, VA, in 1828, receiving his education at the academy at New Market. In 1852 when twenty-four years of age he went to California, where he remained until 1853, when he went to Iowa, and then to Kansas in 1856, being one of the earliest settlers in Cedar Township, Jackson County, and has lived on his place continuously until 1878, when he was elected County Treasurer and reelected in 1880, serving two terms. He has a farm of 327 acres all well improved. He was married at Weston, Mo., in 1858 to Miss Anna Rightlinger and has four children - Emma F., Laura, Frank, and Alice.
SAMUEL N. NEWMAN, of Holton, is a native of Fleming County, Ky., who came to Kansas as a young man with "everything to get and nothing to lose." about sixteen years ago. His first venture was to make the acquaintance and win the friendship of the Sheriff of Jackson County and was by him appointed Deputy Sheriff, which office he held for two years. He had not a dollar in the world, but the duties incident to his office led to his forming and keeping a host of valuable acquaintances. His first investment was a pony, worth $50, for which he gave his note, paying it at maturity. This and other like transactions established his credit and since that time he has been enabled to do an unlimited amount of business so far as capital was concerned. During 1868 he married Miss Libbie McCoy, formerly of Oskaloosa, Iowa, bought a small pair of horses and a cow and began farming. His wife and himself were enabled to retire from the farm at the end of ten years the owners of a splendid 600-acre farm five miles west of Holton, 100 head of cattle, all necessary improvements and teams, and a comfortable competence in cash. Mr. Newman is a true son of Kentucky, and of course he intuitively knew all about horses and cattle from the outset. Together with his farming he has followed auctioneering ever since living in Kansas and has become as well known as any man in Northeastern Kansas in that connection. Since 1878 has resided in Holton, where he has built an elegant residence costing $3,000, and today we find him a partner in the mercantile firm of T. D. Bradley & Co., the owner of the finest livery stable in Jackson County, a stockholder in Holton City Bank, and worth about $31,000. but few men have done better in the same time, even in Kansas. He is a Knight of Honor in Holton Lodge and is independent in religion and politics.
MADISON WOODS, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Larkin, was born in Clay County, Mo., in 1830. He lived on his birthplace until his removal to Kansas in 1857, when he settled in Jackson County and has lived on the same place and within a few rods of his first cabin ever since. He was brought up on a farm and has always followed that calling. He was married in 1855 in Clay County, Mo., to Miss Anna Hamon, and has five children - William, Mary A., John W., Simon H., Emma. He is a member of the Holton Lodge, A., F. & A. M. He has always been a Democrat and is at present the nominee for County Commissioner on that ticket.