KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS

William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


HARVEY COUNTY, Part 9

[TOC] [part 10] [part 8] [Cutler's History]

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (MASSEY - WELLMAN).

J. M. MASSEY, general merchant, business organized in June, 1877, with a capital of $500, which has been increased, by energy and application to business to $10,000. His average monthly sales for the first year was about $1,000 and for 1882 it was $4,000. Came to Kansas in 1857, and located at Chouteau Trading Post, Lynn County. In 1861 he went to Leavenworth and in 1864 he enlisted in Company A, Seventy-seventh Regiment, Missouri Infantry, organized for temporary purposes, and participated in the engagement of Lexington, Big Blue, Hickman's Mills and others during the Price raid in Missouri and was mustered out on special order in December, 1864, and returned to Leavenworth and engaged in the dry goods business. In 1865 was engaged in freighting across the plains, and for several years engaged in stock and selling goods, and in 1875 returned to Michigan and came from there to Kansas and located here. Was born May 25, 1843, at Lock Haven, Clinton Co., Penn. Was married in October, 1878, to Miss Alice Fuller, a native of New York. They have one child, Auila B. Is a Mason and I. O. O. F., and has been a member of City Council.

N. A. MATHIS, architect and builder, came to Kansas in September, 1870, and located a homestead at the mouth of Sand Creek, on Section 32, Sedgwick Township, and organized his present business, and has been identified with the growth of Sedgwick City and taken an active part in all the improvements, having designed and erected all the best buildings in the city. His gross contracts for the year 1882, were about $25,000. He was born in Champaign County, Ohio, April 23, 1846, and received a good education at Delaware, Ohio. In 1864 he enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Thirty-four Ohio Infantry, and with his command was on duty in the works in front of Petersburg, under Grant, and was mustered out in September of the same year. He then entered the Quartermaster's Department and remained at Nashville, Tenn., for six months. He then returned to Ohio and followed his business in some of the large cities, coming from Springfield, Ohio, to Kansas. Married May 13, 1869, Miss Sarah M. Lipp at Spring Hill, Ohio. They have two children, Bessie L., and Bertha. He was a member of the first City Council. Is now Justice of the Peace and Police Judge.

P. M. MORGAN, contractor and builder was born in Shelby County, Ohio, May 7, 1844, where he resided until August, 1862, when he enlisted in the One Hundred and Eighteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry (Company I). The first ten months' service was spent in Kentucky most of the time, guarding the Kentucky Central railroad from Covington to Lexington, after which he, with his regiment, moved to East Tennessee, where he was engaged in various skirmishes and battles, Massey Creek being the first, followed by Kingston and Knoxville. After the seige of Knoxville, his corps joined Sherman and operated with him through the Atlanta campaign after which he was with Thomas in the Nashville campaign, and engaged in the Battle of Franklin and Nashville when his command transferred to North Carolina. He was engaged in the storming and taking of Fort Anderson, on the Neuse River, and Wilmington, Goldsboro and the surrender of Johnston's Army. He was discharged at Salisbury, N. C., June 27, 1865 and mustered out at Cleveland, Ohio, on July 8, 1865. Was married April 30, 1868, at Spring Hill, Ohio to Miss M. C. Mathis, where he resided until September, 1870, when he moved to Sedgwick City, Kansas, arriving September 29, where he engaged for a time in shoemaking. His first shop consisted of four twelve-inch stock boards laid on the ground for floor and two nailed to stakes driven in the ground, for sides, with a wagon sheet for a roof. This was the first shoe shop in Harvey County. In June, 1871, he engaged in the hardware trade and in 1874, on account of the panic of '73 and the grasshoppers of '74, he failed in business, since which time he has been variously engaged. He has held various positions in civil life, the first being Mayor of Spring Hills, Ohio. He was the first Justice of the Peace in what is now Harvey County, and still holds that position. He helped to organize the first Sunday School and church in Sedgwick, being the first class leader. He is a Mason, and has filled various positions in that order, including master. He has three children -- Iza L., born in Ohio; Harry C., born at Sedgwick City, February 13, 1871, being the first child born in Sedgwick City; Claud, born February 13, 1873. He has been a member of the School Board most of the time he has been in Kansas.

REV. A. H. NAFTZGER, Methodist Episcopal clergyman, was born in Indiana in 1852. He is the son of Joseph and Amelia Hower Naftzger. He married Miss Mattie Carty, in Warsaw, Ind., in 1874. Has one child, Maud. Educated at North Manchester, Ind. United with North Indiana Conference in 1872, and remained in that connection for five years. removed to Kansas in 1876. Was pastor at Great Bend from March, 1877, to March, 1878;pastor at Larned from March, 1878, to March, 1879. A church was built at each place during his pastorate. Became pastor of church at Wellington in October, 1879. Retired from ministry in year 1880, on account of impaired health. Has been engaged in merchandising and mining in Kansas and Colorado. Is now in the banking business in Sedgwick, Kan.

E. E. POLLARD, meat market, was born in Vermont, February 11, 1842, and when a child his parents moved to Illinois. In 1861 he enlisted in Company E, Forty-sixth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and with his command participated in a great many of the engagements of the war, among others, Hatchie Swamp, Jackson, Miss., siege of Vicksburg, and Fort Blakely, at Mobile. After the surrender of Gen. Dick Taylor he was appointed by his Colonel to take charge of the battle flag, etc., turned over by him, and turned then over to the quartermaster; after which his command was sent to Texas, where he was appointed commissary Sergeant of the Post of Marshalltown, Tex., and was mustered out in 1866. Married in May, 1868, to Miss Sarah E. Burns. they have three children -- Evalena, Bela B. and Ross. Came to Kansas from Illinois in 1873, and located in Sedgwick County, and came to Sedgwick City in 1876 and started in his present business and has a good trade. His capital is about $1,500, and monthly sales from $600 to $800.

GEORGE B. ROHRER located in Newton in February, 1882. He is a native of Oxford, Butler Co, Ohio, from which place he removed to Kansas. Prior to coming to Kansas, Mr. Rohrer had been engaged in railroading for eighteen years, although by trade was a cabinet maker. He was married in Cincinnati, Ohio, November 25, 1849, to Eliza Cutler, a native of Butler County, Ohio, and has three children -- Laura I., Eva M., and Jessie F. In May, 1882, the Newton Furniture Company was organized, the company being J. I. Cooper, G. W. Rohrer and John Chanter. Mr. R. is a member of the A. F. & A. M.

[Picture of C. Schaefer] CHARLES SCHAEFER, merchant and grain-dealer, owns a half interest in the firm of Schaefer & Finn, general merchandise and grain-buyers. Mr. S., is one of the early settlers of Kansas and has had a very eventful life. He was born in Prussia, December 23, 1842, and came to the United States with his mother in 1848; his father had come two years before and located at Dayton, Ohio. He had to leave his native country on account of the part he took in politics. His mother died on their arrival in New York, and his father sent him to some relatives in St. Louis, Mo., where he was sent to school, but being of a restless disposition one morning in 1852, he got on board of a steamboat and landed at Fort Leavenworth, Kas., and being a bright, active boy, he got employment as chore boy for two years and when the First United states Dragoons were sent to Fort Union, N. Mex., he went in the employ of the Surgeon and drove a buggy across the plains, and was with the first command of note that crossed the Tattoon Range, where they were met by Kit Carson and Lieut., now Gen. Davidson, who conducted them to what is since Maxwell's ranch, where they remained a few months and went on from there to Fort Union, where the troops were distributed to their different stations. He remained in the State for a year, when becoming dissatisfied, he went to Santa Fe and got employment in a drug store, but disagreeing with his employer he came all the way back from Santa Fe on horseback to Kansas city. After remaining a short time, started back with a train for Santa Fe, but falling out with the party when near Fort Larned, he joined a party of Mexicans and went with them to Socoro, N. M. During the trip the Indians corralled them and compelled the Mexicans to fight. From there he went to Texas and enlisted, October 16, 1860, in Company E, Third United States Infantry, under Capt. Clitz and was stationed at Fort Clark, Tex. Went from there to Brownville, where he was ordered to turn over arms to the Texas authorities, but Capt. Clitz refused and went to the mouth of the Rio Grande, when, through the aid of Fitz John Porter, who was Assistant Adjutant General, got on board a steamer and went to New York. From there his command was sent to re-inforce Lieut. Slemmer, at Fort Pickens, and was in the battle on Santa Rosa island, where they defeated and routed the enemy. For bravery in this engagement he was promoted to sergeant and was in command of a rifle gun in two successive bombardments and was wounded by a shell; and from there his command was sent to the army of the Potomac, and landed at White House Landing the night that Stewart's Cavalry raided that place, and was assigned to the command of Fitz John Porter, and participated at Mechanicsville, Gaines Mill, Savage Station, White Oak Swamps, Malvern Hill, second Bull Run, South Mountain, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville and occupied Little Round Top at the battle of Gettysburg, where he was wounded in the knee. After his recovery he was on recruiting service at Wheeling, Va., and Chicago, Ill., and returned to his command in front of Petersburg, and was promoted to First Sergeant, and was detailed as Regimental Quartermaster Sergeant. After the close of the war he was sent to Fort Leavenworth and remained in the Quartermaster's Department until his discharge, July 27, 1867. After his discharge he was employed in the clerical force in the Quartermaster's Department at Fort Harker, and in 1868 was appointed trader at Fort Zarah, and when the post was abandoned in 1869, came to Section 20, Sedgwick Township, and engaged in the cattle business, but his stock took Texas fever and died, and he went into the grocery business, building the first house (a log shanty) that was built in Sedgwick City. He married in Washington, D. C. in August, 1865, Miss Maria M. Rivalissa, a native of New Mexico. They have five children -- Charles G. W., born January 25, 1869, near Great bend, in what is now Barton County, being the first child born in that county; Rosa A., born August 12, 1870, being the first child born in Sedgwick Township, Harvey County; Eisleben J., John F., and Earl. Is a Mason, and master of the Lodge at the present time.

W. M. SHAFFER, farmer, Section 28, P. O. Sedgwick, owns eighty acres, sixty in cultivation; all enclosed with good hedge fence; small orchard, dwelling 16 x 26, with L 12 x 20 one and one half stories. His wheat average in 1880 was thirty-eight bushels per acres. Has on his farm seven horses, ninety head of cattle and a half interest in 180 head of cattle and thirteen hogs. Was born in Indiana, June 20, 1850 and came from his native place to Kansas in the spring of 1877, and located here. Was married March 18, 1868, to Miss Martha Lamb, a native of Indiana. they have two children -- Ethel O. and Henry.

S. W. SHATTUCK, hardware, born in Boston, Mass., November 30, 1838, and was educated for a merchant. After he arrived at the age of manhood he engaged in the grocery and hardware business in Boston and was very successful in trade. He went to Pesotum, in Champaign Co., Ill., in June 1869 (from Boston), and joined a brother-in-law (Capt. Hurd, of this city) there, and started from there June 8, 1869, by wagon, making the entire trip by wagon, from Illinois to Kansas, reaching the present site of Sedgwick City in August, 1869, a long wagon trip. The last railroad station they saw was at Sedalia, Mo. The Santa Fe Railroad had not got beyond Topeka. It was not at Emporia until over a year after that. The last 100 miles of the route there was not a sign of habitation. He located two miles south of the present site of Sedgwick, off a claim, intending to remain permanently, but being notified of the illness of his father, returned to Boston, and was compelled to remain until in February, 1876, he came to Sedgwick City and located on the 22nd, buying a store room that was partially completed, and engaging in the hardware business with a stock of $5,000, which by energy and a constant application to business has increased to the very large and constantly growing business of $20,000 in 1882. In addition thereto he is largely interested in real estate, owning overhalf of the city of Sedgwick; also owns bank stock, and is largely interested in lands, owning in the counties of Harvey, Sedgwick, Reno, Harper, Kingman and Wilson, about 3,000 acres of land, one-half of which is improved. He has also been engaged in the manufacture of brick, finishing over two million for the erection ??? ers tributary to this place, and has one of the most complete stocks in this line in Western of buildings here and in Halstead, as well as in the country. In addition to his very large and growing retail trade he does a job trade to some considerable extent to the small deal-Kansas. He was married February 1, 1865, to Miss Sarah George, a native of England. They have four children -- S. W., Jr., who is now attending school at the State University of Lawrence, Emeline A., Sarah L. and Anna E. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and a Notary Public and conveyancer.

A. G. STONE, contractor and builder, was born in England, September 1, 1843, and came to the United States in 1869 and stopped one year in Iowa, and came to Kansas in January, 1870, and located in Sedgwick City, and has been identified with the growth of the place since that time and has quite an extensive business, both in the city and adjoining country. His gross contracts for 1882 is about $10,000. He returned to England in 1876, and was married May 11, to Miss Emma L. Boden, and on his return they spent considerable time at the Centennial, after which he returned to Sedgwick and is pleasantly located in a nice home. They have two children -- Frank B. and Fany L. Is a Mason and secretary of the Lodge, which he has held for two years. Is Township Clerk and has been since the organization of Harvey County and is also City Clerk.

J. W. TRUMP, farmer, Section 25, P. O. Sedgwick, owns 160 acres, nearly all in a high state of cultivation, his farm all hedged and divided with cross hedges; also a good orchard; dwelling, 16 x 24 feet, with L 14 x 16; one and one half stories, corn crib and stable combined, 22 x 32; granary, 16 x 24; and all other outbuildings conveniently arranged. Has four horses, ten head of cattle and thirty-three hogs, and all his crops this year are fine, his wheat averages thirty bushels per acre, and oats fifty-five. He has considerable over an average crop of corn for this locality. He was born in Ohio June 9, 1855, and came to Illinois with his parents when a child and to Kansas in 1879, and bought this farm and located on it same year. He was married, March 9, 1877, to Miss Rebecca Richardson; they have four children, John, Emma A., Oliver, and Oscar.

VAN S. WAUGH farmer, Section 24, P. O. Sedgwick, owns 240 acres, 180 in cultivation, all enclosed with hedge and wire fence, also an orchard and grove of cultivated timber; dwelling, 12 x 24, with L 12 x 14; stable, granary, corn cribs, cow sheds, corral, etc. eight horses, thirty head of cattle and sixty hogs. His farm is in a fine state of cultivation, all his hedges stock proof and orchard bearing. Came to Kansas in 1870 and was one of the first to locate in Sedgwick Township, and located his present farm by pre-emption. He was born in Indiana, November 12, 1843, and when about ten years of age moved to Illinois, and came from there to Kansas; enlisted in 1862, in Company I, One Hundred and Twenty-fifth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was with his command in Kentucky and Tennessee, his first introduction being the battle of Perryville, Ky. He participated in the Atlanta campaign, but taken sick and sent back, and was in Nashville at the time of Hood's raid. Early in 1865 his command was sent to Texas and was mustered out there in the fall of 1865. Was married January 2, 1873 to Miss Sarah J. Webb.

A. J. WELLMAN, liveryman, of the firm of Hall & Wellman. Business organized in 1871, with a very limited capital. They now have a barn, main part 32 x 115 feet, with an addition of 30 feet and shed 12 by 90; twenty-five to thirty horses and twenty buggies and carriages. Capital invested in the business $4,000 to $5,000. Mr. W. was born in Vermont, September 20, 1847 and in 1862, although only a boy of fifteen years of age, enlisted in Company C, Tenth Vermont Infantry, and was with his command in the Army of the Potomac, Sixth Corps, under Gen. Sedgwick, and participated in the battle of the Wilderness, Spotsylvania Court House, and Cold Harbor, where he was slightly wounded. Was at Bermuda Hundred and when Early made his raid on Washington his command was sent to oppose him and he was again engaged at Opequan and the battle of Monocacy, where he was again wounded in the right arm. From there he was sent into the Valley, under General Sheridan, and was in the engagements of Bwerryville, Winchester, Cedar Creek and Fisher's Hill, and from there went back to Petersburg, and was in the series of engagements on the left of our army, ending with the capture of Lee's army and mustered out in June, 1865, arriving home on July 4, same year. Came to Kansas in 1871 and located here; was married March 11, 1878 to Miss Alice Gray, a native of Illinois. He has occupied the position of Constable for six years and was appointed, in the fall of 1882, Deputy Sheriff and holds that position at present.

HALSTEAD.

This enterprising city, bearing the name of one of the most prominent journalists in the Eastern States, is located on the south bank of the Little Arkansas River, ten miles in a westerly direction from Newton, the county seat. It is also the junction of the St. Louis & San Francisco and the main line of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway. The city, besides supporting the usual number of business enterprises, has the largest flouring mill in the county, two elevators with a capacity of 15,000 and 12,000 bushels respectively and a feed mill.

In the spring of 1872 a settlement was made in the vicinity of what is now known as Halstead, by Samuel Leeper, James Popkins, Frank Brown, David Patrick, and John Corgan, who located earlier. In the summer of the same year, the first attempt was made towards laying off a town site, by Capt. John Sebastian, a large stockholder in the A. T. & S. F. R'y, who laid off a town site one and one-half miles east of the present site. In the fall of 1872 the Halstead Town Company was organized with H. D. Allbright, president. A tract of 480 acres was purchased and in the spring of 1873 the present town site of Halstead was laid off. The foundations of the first building in the town site were laid march, 1873, by G. W. Sweesy, who had located eighty rods from the town site in the fall of 1872. This building was when completed a two story frame, 32 x 42 feet, and is still used as a hotel, known as the Sweesy House. The next building was moved from Sedgwick City by O. Y. Hart, and used for store purposes. Fred Eckert moved his drug store from Sedgwick and opened the first stock of drugs. He was followed by Fred Brewer, who opened a general store. At this time the town suspended building operations and remained dormant until the spring of 1874, when John Lehman, Jacob Deidieter, B. Warkentine, Peter Wiebe, M. S. Ingalls and others moved in and established business enterprises. From this time on the town had a slow but steady growth until 188 ??? (missing text) since which time it has grown rapidly and is now one of the important business centers of the county.

Among the early events may be noticed the first marriage in the spring of 1873, the contracting parties being Mrs. Mary J. Collier and O. Y. Hart; the first birth, a child of David Eckert, in the spring of 1874; the first death, May 25, 1874, was that of John Ashford, who "died with his boots on" being killed in difficulty over a claim in the vicinity of Halstead. The first religious services were held in the Sweesy House, in the spring of 1873, by Rev. John Harris, of the Methodist persuasion. The first and only disastrous fire occurred March 8, 1879, in which three buildings, occupied by Lehman Bros., M. S. Ingalls and the Zurheimath printing office were destroyed, occasioning a loss of $7,000. A school house 28 x 36 feet was built in the winter of 1873-4, Miss Laura Bell Walker being the first teacher. This building was occupied until 1882, when the present brick one was completed at a cost of $6,000.

Municipal Organization- Halstead was incorporated as a city of the third class, March 12, 1877; at the first city election, held March 24, 1877, the vote was canvassed by James Ryan, Henry Ruth and G. W. Brainine, and resulted as follows: Mayor, H. H. McAdams; Councilmen, C. S. Brown, O. Y. Hart, John Lehman, J. E. Ruth and M. S. Ingalls; Police Judge, James Ryan. Appointed officers: G. E. Terry, Clerk; W. M. Tibbot, Treasurer; W. C. Hinkle, Marshal. The present (1882) officers are: G. W. Sweesy, Mayor; Jacob Linn, H. B. Ruth, N. C. Groom, C. Philbrick, John Lehamn, Councilmen; G. W. Cutter, Police Judge; G. E. Terry, Clerk; J. W. Tibbot, Treasurer; T. B. Van Horn, Marshal.

The Press- The first number of the Zurheimath, a paper published in the German language, was issued June 6, 1876, by the Western publishing Company, David Goerz, editor. The paper was published at Halstead until 1879 when the printing office was burned. Since that time the publication office has been located at St. Louis, Mo., with David Goerz, of Halstead, as editor. In January, 1882, its name was changed to the Bundesboten, its present appellation. The paper is the official organ of the Mennonite churches in this portion of the State. Circulation 2,000.

The Postoffice was established in the spring of 1873, George W. Sweesy being appointed Postmaster, which position of trust he retained up to the present time. The Money Order Department was opened at this office July 1, 1877-Money Order No. 1 being purchased by D. and H. B. Ruth.

The Bank of Halstead was incorporated February 3, 1882, with an authorized capital of $100,000. $10,000 paid up. Its corporators were: M. S. Ingalls, B. Warkentine, J. H. McNair, Jacob Linn and R. M. Spivey, who also constitute the Board of Directors. Officers: M. S. Ingalls, Pres.; B. Warkentine, Vice-Pres.; J. H. McNair, cashier. The institution commenced business March 10, 1882, and their first statement issued July 12, 1882, shows their resources and liabilities to balance at $48,922.52. At the January meeting, 1883, the cash capital was increased to $20,000 which fact testifies to its prosperity.

Methodist Episcopal Church was organized during the summer of 1873, by Rev. Jno. Harris. Services were first held in the Sweesy House, after which the schoolhouse was used. In the fall of 1882, a handsome and substantial brick edifice, 35 x 55 feet, was erected at a cost of $4,2000. Rev. B. C. Swarts, present pastor. Present membership, ninety.

Mennonite Church(German) was organized in the spring of 1875, with sixteen members, by Rev. V. Krehbiel, who remained three years. he was succeeded by the present pastor, Rev. D. Goerz. Present church is a frame, 38 x 44 feet, erected in 1878, at a cost of $1,5000. Present membership, seventy-five.

Methodist Episcopal (German) Church was organized in the fall of 1878, with eleven members, by Rev. H. Hoffman. A church building, 26 x 40 feet was erected in 1882-3. the Society was incorporated in 1882, under State laws. Rev. J. G. Vogel, present pastor. Present membership, twenty-one.

Halstead Lodge No. 46 A. F. & A. M. was instituted under dispensation, in September, 1881. A charter was granted February 15, 1882. First officers: N. C. Groom, W. M.; J. A. Lucas, S. W.; W. C. Hinkle, J. W.; T. Logan, Treas.; W. D. Hover, Sec'y. Present officers: N. C. Groom, W. M.; W. C. Hinkle, S. W.; T. Logan, J. W.; T. Wilson, Treas.; A. J. Miller, Sec'y. Regular communications held on first and third Saturday evenings at Masonic and Odd Fellows Hall. Present membership, forty-six.

Halstead Lodge No 163, I. O. O. F. was instituted under a charter dated October 13, 1880, with seven members. First officers; W. M. Munch, N. G. J. A. Spare, V. G.; A. J. Miller, P. G.; A. E. Miks, Tres.; W. C. Hinkle, Sec'y Present officers; Jas. Ryan, N. G.; M. Covert, V. G.; Geo. Kirk, Treas.; W. C. Hinkle, Perm. Sec'y; A. J. Miller, Rec. Sec'y. Regular meeting held every Wednesday evening at Masonic and Odd fellows Hall. Present membership, sixty.

Halstead Mills The largest flouring mill in the county was build in the summer of 1874, by Keck, Warkentine & Co. The building was a four-story frame, 30 x 48 feet and the machinery was propelled by water-power until 1877, when the dam was destroyed. The original cost of the mill, which had three runs of buhrs, including the dam was $18,500. In 1878, it passed into the hands of its present proprietors, Eisenmeyer & Co., and was moved to its present site and enlarged, and run by a 120 horse-power engine. In 1881 the machinery was increased to five run of buhrs and five set of rolls, giving a capacity of 200 barrels daily.

[TOC] [part 10] [part 8] [Cutler's History]