|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
MISCELLANEOUS (LAMB - WOLCOTT).
F. C. LAMB, farmer, Section 29, Janesville Township, P. O. Hamilton, is a native of Detroit, Mich., and was a member of the bar of the Supreme Court, practicing law for several years in Mount Clemens, Mich.; coming to Kansas in 1879 for the benefit of his health, he purchased 200 acres upon the banks of Homer Creek (Section 29, Township 11, Range 24 East), and has already 160 acres under cultivation, with an average corn yield of fifty bushels per acre. Shortly after locating here, he imported from Kentucky twenty-four thoroughbred, high grade, Short-horn cattle, and by judicious breeding has now, in addition to what he has sold, added forty-five more to the number. He has also at present about seventy-five head of native stock. His father-in-law, Mr. John Teller, of Kenderhook, N. Y., is associated with him in stock-dealing, and they are extensive buyers and shippers. Mr. Lamb has been a member of the School Board ever since his residence here, and in 1883 was elected to the office of Township Trustee for the second time.
GEORGE LONG, farmer, Section 31, Lane Township, P. O. Virgil, was born in 1834, in Donegal, Ireland, and came to the United States in 1850, locating in Ohio until the spring of 1857, when he came to Kansas, locating here. In July 1, 1863, Mr. Long enlisted in Company M., Ninth Kansas Cavalry, and was in the fight at Little Rock, and several lively skirmishes while on scouting duty; mustered out at Duvalls Bluff, Ark., July 17, 1865. In 1870, he married Mrs. M. A. Burris, nee Dalton, of Kentucky, whose husband, Walter Burris was one of the first settlers of this region, and also a member of Mr. Long's company and regiment, but who died in the army at Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis, in December, 1864. Mr. and Mrs. Long have but one child, Rena Ann, born September 12, 1870. Mr. Long's farm contains 220 acres, 140 being under cultivation. His grain yield is of corn and oats, fifty bushels, and millet two and a half tons per acre. He raises about forty calves every year, and usually has a large number of stock of all kinds. He has resided upon his present place since 1870, when he built his residence, a fine two-story frame, surrounded by very fine ornamental and fruit trees. The house and barns, the later, large and substantial, are well insured. Mr. Long has been a member of the School Board of his district for seven years, and was for four years Treasurer of the Township. He is one of the most successful and prosperous farmers in this section of the county.
WILLAM E. J. NIXON, farmer, Sections 7 and 8, Lane Township, P. O. Virgil, was born in North Carolina in 1817, and came to this State from Iowa in 1864, and in 1865, located on his present farm; 105 of his 160 acres are under cultivation, with a grain yield of corn forty, wheat twenty, and oats forty-five bushels to the acre; millet is three and a half tons to the acre. When Mr. Nixon came here, Burlington was the nearest supply depot, and contained two stores, Mr. Nixon buying the only cook stove for sale in the town. He and his estimable wife, have always been members of the Society of Friends. Two of his five children reside at home, the others are in Arizona and Texas. Mr. Nixon was the Superintendent of Public Instruction of the county from 1867 to 1870.
HON. W. F. OSBORN, farmer, Section 8, Lane Township, P. O. Virgil, was born in 1827 in Davis County, Ind., and in 1842 removed to Buchanan County, Mo., where he remained engaged in farming until his removal to Kansas in 1857, locating upon his present farm May 9, the above year. He experienced all the vicissitudes of the early settler in this State at that period, and during the first years of his residence here, and until after the war was a member of the State Militia. He is now the oldest settler in Lane Township. In 1869, he was elected Representative to the State Legislature, continuing in office until 1871, and again filling the same office in 1880-81-82. He was married in 1849, to Miss Mary Barns. Of the children of this union three survive, viz.; George Henry, who was born in 1852; Sarah F. (who is now Mrs. J. S. McCoin), born in 1854, and William r., born in 1860. All the above now reside in Oregon. Mrs. Osborn died in November, 1860, and in 1862, Mr. Osborn married Miss Sarah F. Smith. They have one child living, Clara, who was born in December, 1864. Mr. Osborn's farm contains 300 acres, of which 154 are under cultivation, and has always been exceptionally productive. In former years he dealt extensively in cattle and other live stock. The farm residence is a fine two-story building, with a porch and balcony, and is situated in the center of a spacious lawn, which is ornamented with several fine evergreens and shade trees. At a short distance in rear of the house is the orchard, containing about 600 assorted fruit trees. Mr. Osborn was one of the first Board of County Commissioners, and served as such for six years. He has always been a stanch Republican, and is one of the most prominent men in the community.
W. S. REECE, founder of the town of Reece, and in honor of whom it was named, was born in London, England, in 1843, came to America in 1869, and to day is recognized as one of the leading men of this Western country. For some years Mr. Reece was in the cattle business on his ranch of 1,770 acres, on Burnt Creek. He subsequently became interested in horses, and brought the first thoroughbred stallions into the county, namely, John B., and afterward Alhambra a son of the famous Lexington, and one of the best bred horses in the world. The plat of the town which bears his name was put on record in January, 1883, and through his influence and that of his numerous and warm friends, promises soon to become a place of no inconsiderable importance, and ere long one of the towns of the State. Though a bachelor during his earlier residence, Mr. Reece married in 1880, Miss E. S. Watts, of Montreal, and brought his bride to Kansas to adorn his already charming and hospitable home.
GEORGE W. RICHEY, farmer and stock-raiser, Pleasant Grove Township, P. O. Toronto, came to Kansas, October 17, 1870, located at Toronto, and remained here two years, then purchased a farm near Toronto, in Pleasant Grove Township, Greenwood County, and has ever since engaged in farming and stock-raising. He is at present serving as Constable in Pleasant Grove Township. He was born in Scott County, Ind., February 9, 1842, and is a son of Phoebe and Eliza Richey. He was raised on a farm, and lived in his native county until 1870, when he came to Kansas. He was married in Washington County, Ind., September 13, 1860, to Sarah A. Rickard. They have four children, viz.: Perry L., Simeon D., Rozilla M. and Seth T. Richey. Mr. Richey is one of our best citizens, and he and his wife are members of the Predestinarian Baptist Church.
DAVID ROACH, farmer, Section 30, Lane Township, P. O. Virgil, was born in Cork County, Ireland, and came to the United States in 1853, and in 1856, he enlisted in Company D, Fifth United States Infantry, and was engaged in Indian warfare in Texas, Florida and Utah until the expiration in of his term of service, September 11, 1861. He made his first permanent settlement in this county in the same year, and in 1877, removed to his present farm, upon which he erected a comfortable and commodious two-story dwelling. The homestead farm contains 140 acres, sixty being under cultivation, and in addition to this he has eighty acres in Section 10, Town 23, Range 14, in Shell Rock Township. Corn is the principal grain raised, and averages fifty bushels per acre. He has about 200 fruit-bearing trees. Mr. Roach has four children, his two daughters being engaged in school-teaching in this township. He held the office of Township Trustee from 1870 to 1874, and was again elected to fill it in February, 1883.
JAMES SALING, farmer, Section 1, Town 11, Range 24, Janesville Township, P. O. Hamilton, was born in 1845, in Benton County, Mo., and came to Kansas in the spring of 1854, with his parents, who located in Miami County. In June, 1861, at Mound City, he enlisted in Company I, Third Kansas Regiment, and remained therein until it, with the Fourth, became the Tenth Kansas, in 1862, when he became a member of Company B. He served with his regiment in Missouri and Arkansas, and participated in the engagements at Newtonia, Prairie Grove, Cane Hill, etc., and upon the expiration of his term of service in 1863, he re-enlisted in the same company and regiment and shared all the subsequent hard work of his company, being one of those in the charge upon Fort Blakely, Ala., and was finally mustered out at Fort Leavenworth in September, 1865. In the fall of that year he located upon he present 160 acres, situated in the above section, and has since continued to reside there. He has eighty acres of bottom land under cultivation. His corn yield averages fifty bushels, oats from thirty to forty bushels, and millet two and a half tons. His orchard contains 500 good bearing fruit trees, and he has about forty head of cattle. His children-Mary, the eldest, being eighteen years of age, and the other two-a boy and a girl, aged respectively fifteen and nine years. Mr. Saling, although an old resident of the State, has steadily refused any public office, andhas been content to devote his time to his agricultural and stock interests.
G. S. SALLYARD, farmer, Section 23, P. O. Flint Ridge, Salem Township, has been for five years Township Trustee, and is one of the best known men of Salem Township. Mr. Sallyard has, since his residence in Kansas, given his attention to stock, and usually carries 300 or 400 head of the very best native stock. He was one of the boys of the "Lost Cause," and still retains his Southern sympathies. Mr. Sallyard, in 1866, was married to Miss L. Holverson. His eldest child in named Patrick Henry, and was born November 1, 1867; Sarah J. being next, May 11, 1869; Mary M., March 25, 1871; John F., August 29, 1873; Cornelius L., March 21, 1875; and Minnie M., November 7, 1881.
J. D. SHAW, farmer, Section 12, P. O. Shell Rock, is a native of Wyandotte County, Ohio, where for several years he held the office of County Clerk, and office which he has also held in this county. He came to Kansas in 1870, and spent the first three years in Emporia, locating upon his present farm of 320 acres in 1873. He has eighty acres under cultivation and an orchard of 200 trees. His average grain yield has been good, and he usually has about 100 head of high-grade Short-horn cattle. The residence is a large tow-story frame house, situated upon gently raising ground. Mr. Shaw is one of the stewards of the Methodist Episcopal Church here, and was Township Trustee from 1881 to 1883. He has also been a member of the School Board, District No. 53, ever since his location here. He has held the office of Register of Deeds in the county from 1876 to 1880. Mr. Shaw is unmarried, his mother and sisters residing with him.
W. W. SHAW, farmer and Postmaster, Shell Rock, Section 36, Town 22, Range 12, has resided in Kansas since 1869, and upon his present farm since 1871. He is a native of Virginia, but was raised in Auglaize County, Ohio; from thence he came here. In February, 1864, he enlisted in Company G, Fifty-fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was present at Atlanta and Jonesboro, shortly after which he was invalided and discharged for disability, in May, 1865. He has been a pensioner since 1880. Mr. Shaw was married before entering the army, and has now eight children, all residing in this State. The five elder ones are married. He was appointed Postmaster in 1873, and has continued in office ever since. In 1875, he was elected Justice of the Peace, and has held that office ever since. He is a member of the Methodist Protestant Church. About one-half of his farm is in cultivation, and upon several occasions gold-bearing quartz and small nuggets have been found. So far, no thorough search has been made, although the specimens found have been pronounced A1 by experts.
R. S. SHEPARD, farmer, Section 13, Spring Creek Township, P. O. Reece, and who was one of the first Judges of Election in this township; was born in what is now the city of Syracuse, when there was but one long house nearer than Onondaga Lake. Mr. Shephard has resided here since 1869, and has been Justice of the Peace since 1872. His farm is large and well improved, his fine two-story house being one of the finest in the valley.
WALTER SMETHERS, Twin Falls, is a native of Indiana, and has resided in Kansas since 1866. He is one of Greenwood County's best known citizens. He built the first house in Twin Falls, and in 1873 was elected County Treasurer. Upon the expiration of his term of office, he returned to Twin Falls, where he resides, engaging in farming; he also entered into business as a merchant, and in 1880, was appointed Postmaster. He served with distinction in Company K, One Hundred and Second Illinois Infantry, for three years, and was in all the principal engagements. Mr. Smethers was married in Indiana, and his eldest son, William H., is now practicing medicine in Moline, Elk Co., Kan.
CAPT. S. P. SMITH, farmer and cattle dealer, Section 19, Janesville Township, P. O. Hamilton, is a native of Ontario County, N. Y., and after serving with distinction throughout the war, was at its close commissioned Captain in the United States Army. In 1872, he came to Kansas, and locating in this township soon became one of its largest stock and cattle dealers. He owns 800 acres in Janesville Township, and the greater part of which is in Section 19, where he has lately built a very fine residence. He has several very fine imported Durham bulls, and increases his stock by crossing with native cattle, of which he usually has from 500 to 800 head. An admirer of horse flesh, the Captain has also some fine Hamiltonian and Mesenger stallions. He has been Trustee of this township for eight years, and is one of its most enterprising and influential residents.
W. B. SMITH, of W. B. & W. M. Smith, Twin Falls, millers, was born in Owen County, Ind., and in 1872 he came to Kansas, when he, and his brother bought the mill here, formerly owned by Mr. Coy, and have continued to run it to the present time; they have greatly improved it putting in new machinery, etc., and making Twin Falls Flouring Mills, one of the best in Kansas. Mr. Smith is a young married man, but one of the live men of the town.
JAMES STEWART. farmer, Section 23, Spring Creek Township, P. O. Reece, was born in Brown County, Ohio, and whilst yet young removed to Champaign County, Ill., and in 1870 removed to this State, locating upon his present farm. Since residing here Mr. Stewart has given his attention to raising horses, he having some of the finest on the lower road, and his farm surroundings are a treat for the eye of an artist.
REV. PHILLIP WENGER, farmer, Section 25, P. O. Shell Rock, is a native of Baden, Germany, and came to the United States in 1854, locating upon a farm in Tazewell County, Ill., from whence he removed to his present location in 1877. His farm contains 640 acres, 200 of which are under cultivation, and although upland his grain yield has averaged for wheat, sixteen bushels, corn, thirty to thirty-five, and oats twenty-five bushels to the acre. He has about 100 head of native cattle, and a fine two-story residence, and substantial and commodious barns, all insured. Mr. Wanger has but one child, a daughter. He was one of the organizers and is pastor of the Apostolic Christian Church. The society numbers about 100 members, and in 1881 a church was built in this township at a cost of $1,400. It will seat 200 persons; services are held every Sabbath. In addition, Elder Joseph Huber has another charge ten miles east of this, where he conducts weekly services.
R. E. WOLCOTT, farmer, Section 13, P. O. Shell Rock was born in Orange County, Vt., in 1832, and coming to Kansas in 1870, located in this township. His farm contains 235 acres on Sections 13 and 14, Township 23, Range 12 south, sixty acres being under cultivation, with an average corn yield of fifty to sixty, and wheat, twenty-five bushels per acre, oats, forty-five to sixty bushels. For some years past Mr. Wolcott has raised considerable sorghum cane, and having a small mill upon his place has found it remunerative. The yield has been about 100 gallons per acre, and it finds a ready sale at 50 cents per gallon. Of cattle he has about thirty head. His only son, Royal Wolcott, is married and resides upon the adjacent farm. Mr. Wolcott enlisted at Salem, Mass., August 8, 1861, in Company F, Twenty-third Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, and after being present at Roanoke, Newbern, etc., was discharged In August, 1862, on account of disability, and in 1864, he re-enlisted in the Thirteenth Veteran Reserve, and remained until the close of the war. Mr. Wolcott was first Master of Shell Rock Grange, No. 1,147, P. of H., and in 1874 was elected Justice of the Peace, which office he held until 1877.