|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
OTTAWA, PART 2
THE PRESS, BANKS, AND OTHER BUSINESS INTERESTS.
The Ottawa Home Journal was established in the fall of 1865, by I. S. Kalloch and C. T. Evans. This paper was more literary than political, acquired a large circulation, and was largely instrumental in attracting immigration to the county. In 1857 John Kitts bought a half interest in the paper, but, in a few months, dissolved partnership with Kalloch, took the job department, and started the Ottawa Register, publishing it under the editorial management of M. L. Laws, until March 10, 1858. During this month Prof. P. Fales and John Kitts purchased the Home Journal, changed its name to The Republic continued its politics Republican, and published it under the editorial management of Prof. Fales until September 18, 1869. On this date C. Godfrey Patterson, of New York, purchased the Republic and changed its name to the Ottawa Journal. Patterson edited the paper. In January, 1870, L. J. Perry bought a half interest, retaining it less than a month. In June, 1871, E. H. Snow and C. W. Nelson bought the paper. On January 18, 1872, Nelson sold out to Warren Anderson, who sold out to Snow in the following month of August. On May 20, 1873, Louis Melins became half owner, and on March 1, 1874, John Bain bought a third interest. The paper supported Greeley for President in 1872. On December 4, 1874, the firm of Snow, Melins & Bain bought the Lawrence Republican, mortgaging the Journal office, and ran both papers until by foreclosure the Journal fell into the hands of John Hutchings, of Lawrence, who ran it with Mr. Diggs as editor, as a Republican paper, until January 22, 1876, when it finally suspended, was sold and removed to Kansas City.
The Democratic Leader was established by John Rain, October 28, 1871, and was edited by Major A. J. Allen until January 13, 1872. From this time to August 10, 1872 it was edited by H. H. Hand, at which time it was sold to the Liberal Publishing Company, who consolidated it with the Liberal. In March, 1873, the press and material of the Leader were purchased by Dr. Cooper, and removed to Garnett, where they were used to publish the Garnett Journal.
The Ottawa Republican was started in March, 1873, by A. T. Sharpe, who purchased the Liberal and changed the name to the Republican . The editorial department was conducted by George B. Jenness. J. N. Murdock bought a half interest in September, and became editor. At the end of six months, Sharpe again became sole owner, Murdock remaining in connection with the paper as editor. January 23, 1875, Jenness again assumed editorial charge, continuing until May 10, 1877, when Sharpe assumed control.
The Ottawa Triumph was started August 5, 1875, by E. H. Snow, who continued to conduct it until April 1, 1877, when it was sold to a stock company, and changed from a Greenback to a Republican paper. Under the Journal Publishing Company the name of the paper was changed to the Ottawa Journal and Triumph, F. A. Marcell, editor. Subsequently Mr. Snow became the proprietor of the paper and changed the politics back to Greenbackism.
The Queen City Herald was established January 5, 1882 at Ottawa, by D. O. McAllister. It is an eight-column folio, Democratic in politics and is devoted to literature, local news, prohibition and free-trade. At the start the Herald seemed to meet with popular favor, having attained in six months a bona fide subscription list of 800.
The First National Bank of Ottawa grew out of the well-known private bank of P. P. Elder & Co., which was started in 1866 at the southwest corner of Main and Second streets, the locality of the bank ever since. It passed into a national bank in 1870 with P. P. Elder president, E. A. Skinner vice-president, R. W. Thacher cashier, and a capital of $50,000. In 1875 A. M. Blair and H. J. Smith bought most of the stock and merged therein a private bank of their own, Blair becoming president, Smith cashier. Recently, Mr. Blair sold his interest to E. A. Skinner and C. C. Minton. The officers are: Smith president, Skinner vice-president, C. C. Minton cashier. The July statement showed loans and discounts, $155,745; deposits, $192,500.
The People's National Bank of Ottawa, Kansas, was the 1,910th bank organized under the national bank law. It commenced business January 1, 1872, with H. H. Lugington as president and B. C. McQuesten cashier. It soon established itself in the favor and confidence of the people, and has enjoyed ten years of uninterrupted success, paying five dividends to its shareholders and accumulating a large surplus fund. Its present officers and owners are: J. P. Harris president, and Peter Shiras cashier. They have had the management for the past six years, and have had so conducted business as to make it one of the leading institutions of the State. It gets a large business from the counties of Franklin, Osage, Miami, Anderson and Coffey. They do a strictly legitimate banking business, its owners being engaged in no outside enterprise, but devoting their entire attention to the bank. Its deposits are at the present time $200,000, and cash capital and surplus fund $70,000. The safe and vault of Hall's Safe and Lock Company are of the finest and best modern workmanship, have all the latest improvements, and with time attachment to locks.
The Ottawa Oil Mill, located just north of the river on Walnut street, is owned and operated by G. T. Potterf. It has been in operation since 1873. Capital invested is $9,000. It has one hydraulic press whose power is 500 tons. Three barrels of oil, either linseed or castor, are manufactured daily.
The Ottawa Mill, a substantial stone flouring mill, was erected in 1867 by James Davis, on Main and First Streets, and was first run by Kirby & Wright. Crane & Wightman afterwards enlarged it and added an elevator. E. E. Fuller came into possession of it two years ago. The mill has four run of buhrs, with capacity to manufacture daily 20,000 pounds. The elevator has storage capacity for 15,000 bushels. Capital invested, $32,000.
The Forrest Mill, situated on Walnut street, south of the river, is a large frame structure built by O. W. Baldwin and Frank Pope in 1872, at a cost of $25,000. A dam and elevator were added in 1875 at a cost of $15,000. Water is mainly used as power, but steam is at hand against emergencies. There are five run of buhrs, manufacturing one hundred and twenty-five barrels of flour daily. The storage accommodations are 27,600 bushels. John Kinneard and J. P. Laird, the owners and manufacturers, have made extensive and costly improvements during 1882, some $15,000 being expended in new machinery.
The Excelsior Mill is the name of the superb flouring establishment erected on Main and Tecumseh streets in 1881. It is of plain but massive architectural proportions, and equipped within and without with the best modern appliances and machinery. The cost was about $38,000. There are seven run of buhrs. One hundred and twenty barrels of flour are daily manufactured. H. D. Crane, J. B. Shaffer, and William Shires own and operate the mill under the firm name of H. D. Crane & Co.
The Franklin County Foundry situated on the south bank of the river at the foot of Main street, is owned and carried on by S. D. Clark, who is himself a most capable and ingenious machinist. Almost anything in metal he can manufacture. By a "blast" of his own invention and make he readily fuses large masses of iron in thirty-five minutes. The railroad shops make large demands for his castings. The building is 50X50 feet, two stories, with an annex for the engine. Twenty men are employed.
The Machine Shops of the Kansas City, Lawrence and Southern railroad, are situated in the northern part of the city. To secure them, the city, by a vote of 479 for and 13 against, voted, September 13, 1871, aid to the amount of $60,000 in bonds, besides giving the site which cost $7,000 additional. The shops were erected next year at a cost of $100,000 for building and machinery. The main shop is 110X116 feet, 22 feet high. There are besides, a wing 60X120 feet, two offices 21X23 feet, a store room 21X23 feet, and an engine house 63 feet deep, having fourteen stalls. All these are solid stone structures. The actual force employed in and around the shops is two hundred men. The monthly payroll aggregates $9,000. T. D. Volh is the master machinist; John Johnson, general foreman; J. E. Lindzy, foreman of car shop; Moses Mitchell, foreman of blacksmith shop; W. H. Hodge, foreman of paint shop.
Furniture Factory and Saw and Planing Mill.--This establishment, located on Hickory street just south of the river, is the enterprise of J. Jeffries & Co. At date (August, 1882), it is completed but not in operation. The principal building is frame, 36X60 feet, two stories high. There are attached a large stone drying room and an engine room, 15X30 feet. The factory will employ ten men.
Ottawa Furniture Company.--Under this title a company was organized in 1870, with a capital stock of $16,000. After a year's unprofitable operation, the stock was sold at 50 percent of cost to A. Gottschalk & Co., who have since successfully carried on the business. Their goods are first-class and extensively sold through this State and Texas. Thirty-five men are employed in the factory. Besides the factory, which is just west of the town, there are two extensive warehouses, one at the south-west corner of Main and First streets, the other on Walnut between Third and Fourth.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (ADAMS - CLARK).
PAUL M. ADAMS, wholesale and retail grocer, is a native of Lowell, Mass. and came to Kansas in July, 1869, locating in Ottawa with his father, who originally established this business about that time. The subject of our sketch began business as a clerk with his father and was also for a time employed as a clerk in real estate and insurance business at this place. In October 1881, he joined W. Fessenden in this business, and on January 25, 1882 took sole charge of the same. He carries a fine stock of about $3,000, and does quite a large retail and jobbing business.
JOHN C. ARMSTRONG, watchmaker and jeweler, was born at Troy, Miami Co., Ohio, in October, 1844, and reared on a farm in Coles County, Ill., his parents having removed there when he was quite young. At the outbreak of the war, Mr. Armstrong enlisted, but was not allowed to serve on account of his youth. He, however, re-enlisted May 10, 1864 in Company I, One Hundred and Thirty-fifth Illinois Infantry, and served five months, principally in Missouri. He learned the trade of watchmaker at Mattoon, Ill. Was a member of the firm of H. Joseph & Co., watchmakers, etc., of that place for about three years. In December, 1869, he came to Ottawa, Kan., and in January following engaged in this business in a small way, carrying a stock of about $300. His trade was enlarged yearly and he has now the finest establishment of the kind in Ottawa, carrying a stock of about $5,000 to supply the demands of his business. Mr. Armstrong is popular with the business community, and is widely know throughout the county as an expert watchmaker.
REV. ROBERT ATKINSON was born August, 1883. He began his studies for the ministry at Louisburg University, Pa., graduating at the Madison University in 1856, and at the Theological Seminary twelve years later. He was the Pastor of the North Baptist Church at Newark, N. J. until 1868, when he resigned, coming to Ottawa, Kan., in January, 1868. He was district secretary of the American Baptist Home Mission Society until 1876, when he resigned and became secretary of the Baptist Educational Work in Kansas up to 1880. Mr. Atkinson has been a trustee of the Ottawa University since January, 1868 was Treasurer of the same up to 1876. In 1875, the University was destroyed by fire and he devoted two years of his time almost entirely to the rebuilding. Although Mr. Atkinson is not at present pastor of any special charge, he devotes considerable of his time to the organizing and opening of Baptist Churches in this State. He has since his arrival in this State also been identified with the farming pursuits, owning in this county 1,620 acres of land. He owns the "City Mills," of Wyandotte, Kan. Has been president of the Kansas Millers' Association for the past six years. Is a director of the Burlington and Ottawa branch of the A. T.& S. F. R. R. Co., and is chairman of the Republican Central Committee of Franklin County, and is president of the Board of Trade of Ottawa.
HON. H. C. BABCOCK was born in Rutland County, Vt. in 1839, and came west to Scott County, Iowa at the age of fourteen years, where he followed farming. He enlisted August 1, 1861, in Company C, Second Iowa Cavalry. Was promoted to Second Lieutenant in June, 1863, and to Captain in 1864, serving until October, 1865, two years of which period he acted as Regimental, and then as Brigade Quartermaster. After the war he settled in Eau Claire, Wis., and for three years was a member of firm of Crane & Babcock, carrying on a saw mill; then farmed for a time in Clinton County, Iowa. In 1872, he came to Kansas, and for eight years followed farming pursuits in Mitchell County. In the fall of 1874 he was elected to represent that county in the State Legislature, and was Justice of the Peace for two years. On July the 9th, 1881, he purchased the Eclipse livery, safe and exchange stables, at Ottawa, and a month later admitted J. H. Gants to a partnership, since which time the business has been conducted under the style of Babcock & Gants.
A. H. BALDWIN, merchant, was born in Richland County, Ohio, February 11, 1837, and reared on a farm. Came to Kansas in July, 1860, and engaged in mercantile business at Aubry, Johnson County, under style of Taylor & Baldwin. A year or so later, removed to DeSoto, that county, where they carried on business until 1880, under style of Taylor, Baldwin & Co. This firm, in 1865, opened a branch store at Ottawa, under the management of Mr. B. and since 1880 A. H. Baldwin has, in company with his brother, A. B. Baldwin, continued the old business, Mr. T. retiring in that year. This firm is the oldest in this place, in their line, general merchandise, and carry a stock of $20,000. The subject of our sketch was elected Treasurer of Ottawa in 1866, and again in 1878, one year in each term.
ELI BANGS, proprietor mammoth livery and sale stables, was born in Lenawee County, Mich., in February, 1850, and two years later emigrated to Page County, Iowa; his parents died when he was young, and he made his livelihood being employed in various capacities; October, 1870, he came to Ottawa, Kan., and was employed in teaming, etc., until 1874, when he got a contract to carry the United States mail between Ottawa and Osage, Kan., in which business, he was engaged for eight years; in June, 1878, he engaged in livery business at this place, and for several years had branch stables at Osage City and Linden, under the style of Bangs & Gardner; he has a mammoth barn in which he carries twenty-two horses to supply the demands of his livery business.
FRANKLIN BARNES, farmer, Section 19, P. O. Ottawa, was born in Wood County, Va., November 8, 1818, and during his youth resided on a farm, after which he learned the trade of cabinetmaker; in 1845, he removed to Jackson County, Mo., where he followed cabinetmaking; he came to Franklin County, Kan., in October, 1854, located at Centropolis, and built the first claim house in the County. Mr. Barnes pre-empted 160 acres, and resided on the same for some twelve years; he took an active part with the Free-state party in the troubles of 1856, and served on the Kansas State Militia during the late war; in 1866, he emigrated to Sonoma County, Cal., on account of his wife's health, there he farmed and was also engaged in teaming; in 1871 he returned to Franklin County and followed his trade for three years at Pomona, since which time he has given his attention to agricultural pursuits, in which he is assisted by his four sons--Charles T., Robert F., Albert W., and Salvanus P. Mr. Barnes has resided on this farm since December, 1881; it consists of 440 acres, 160 of which are under cultivation. Mr. Barnes served as a Constable two years, and in times of court he assisted C. L. Robins as Deputy Sheriff.
HON. WALTER B. BASS, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Ottawa, was born in Orange County, Vt., December 4, 1828, and reared on a farm, receiving his early education at Kimball Union Academy; in 1850 he went to Kentucky and taught school, and two years later removed to Will County, Ill., where he resided for some eighteen years; here he conducted a farm of 320 acres, and was largely engaged in raising stock, for several years he held the office of County Commissioner; in December, 1868, he came to Franklin County, Kan., locating on his present farm in Ottawa Township; he owns 338 acres, all improved, and in connection with farming pursuits is largely engaged in raising cattle and horses. Mr. Bass was elected to the State Legislature in the fall of 1880. He was married in Orange County, Vt., in February, 1856 to Ellen Lynde; they have three children--William, John and Ella.
S. F. BEELER, contractor and builder, was born in Washington County, Md., February 20, 1842, and reared on a farm. On August 1, 1862, he enlisted in the Baltimore Battery, and served thirty-eight months, after which he went to Springfield, Ill., and worked as a carpenter; in March, 1866, came to Kansas, located in Douglas County, farmed for a few months, and in the following winter moved to Franklin County, and for eighteen months gave his attention to the farming pursuits; in 1871, he came to Ottawa; was one of the organizers of the Ottawa Furniture Company, and employed in the same about a year; in 1872 he engaged in his present business; he employs some five or six men, and has built quite a number of leading buildings in the place, among which are the Ottawa Furniture Company's factory, and the Glucose factory. He represented the Third Ward in the city council for four years.
J. A. BRANT, of Brant & Beachy insurance and real estate agents, is a native of Somerset County, Pa., and was for some years engaged in the mercantile business in the State of Maryland. During the war he served with the New York Engineer Corps. In 1869 he moved to Pleasant Hill, Missouri, where he engaged in the insurance and real estate business with his present partner, U. M. Beachy. In 1870 they opened a branch business at Ottawa, Kansas, and Mr. Brant located here at that time. In 1873 the business at Pleasant Hill was closed and both partners now devoted themselves to their business interests at Ottawa. They are the oldest established firm in this place and represent many prominent insurance companies. Mr. Brant has been since 1880 special agent for Kansas, Missouri and Arkansas for the Western Assurance Company of Toronto, Canada. Both are men of considerable experience in this business.
S. A. BROWN & CO., successors to Chicago Lumber Yard, dealers in lumber; this business was established in 1879 and purchased by this firm a year later. They carry a stock here of five to 600,000 feet; have two branches in this county, one at Lane where a stock of 800,000 feet is carried and the other at Wellsville where the stock amounts to three to 400,000 feet. The firm have some fifty lumber yards in this State in which they carry an average supply of 20,000,000 feet of lumber, besides large quantities of lime and building material. The senior partner S. A. Brown resides in Chicago. The resident partner at this place, E. C. Robinson, was born in Marysville, Union Co., Ohio, October 1, 1848. He came to Kansas in 1867, located at Ottawa and was for two years employed as a clerk in the grocery business. In 1870 he went to Thayer, Neosho County, engaged in the grocery business and in 1874 added hardware, implements, etc. He continued the business there until early in 1880 when he came to Ottawa and became associated with S. A. Brown.
R. C. CAMPBELL, livery and dealer in blooded horses, was born in Buffalo Valley, Union County, Pa., in 1833 and was reared in Butler County, Ohio, where he learned the carpenter's trade and followed it as an occupation. In June 1861 he enlisted in Company D, Eighty-sixth Ohio Infantry and shortly thereafter was promoted to Second Lieutenant. In the spring of 1864 he was transferred to the Thirteenth Ohio Cavalry and was promoted to Captain, and early in 1865 to Major, commanding the regiment and was mustered out in August of that year. In 1865 he engaged in the livery business at Oxford, Ohio, continuing there for some three years. In July 1870 he came to Ottawa and engaged in the livery business in company with H. Tefft, who retired from the firm about five years later. In June 1878 he also engaged in running an omnibus line and conducting transfer business. He is also an extensive dealer in blooded horses. Mr. Campbell represented the First ward in the city council for four years.
S. M. CAMPBELL, Agent, "K. C. L. & S. K. R. R. Co." Was born in Franklin County, Pa., and reared on a farm. He began business life at Sidney, Ohio; was in the employ of the D. & M. R. R. Co., for several years, as baggage master, telegraph operator, etc. In 1869 he came to Kansas, located at Lawrence and was Deputy Sheriff in charge of Douglas County Jail, for over a year. In 1871, he entered the employ of the K. C. L. & S. K. R. R. Co. Was station agent at Wellsville for five years, at Iola for a year, Coffeeville two years and at Independence, Kansas until December 1881, when he was appointed passenger and freight agent at Ottawa, entering upon his duties in January, 1882.
J. J. CAMAC, manufacturer and dealer in harness and saddlery hardware, etc. Was born in Shelby County, Ill., November 19, 1846, and learned trade of harness maker at Windsor, that county, serving an apprenticeship of three years, after which he worked at his trade there for three years and about the same length of time at Unionville, Putnam Co., Mo. In October, 1871, he came to Franklin County, Kan., and farmed for about two years. In October, 1873, he engaged in this business at Ottawa in a small way, and has by industry and economy increased his business until he is now carrying a stock of $5,000, to supply the demands of his trade. He gives employment to about five men in his manufacturing department.
J. D. CHAMBERLAIN, dealer in groceries, queenlier, etc. Is a native of Barry, Pike Co., Ill. He for some years followed farming and stock raising. He came to Ottawa, Kansas in October, 1872, and for some time afterward engaged in the business of raising and dealing in live stock, following it for five years. He engaged in his present business February 7, 1879, under the style of Persil & Chamberlain; six months later he purchased the interest of his partner and has since conducted the business alone. Mr. C. carries a fine stock of goods of about $3,000, and has quite an extensive trade in the city and county.
JOHN CHENOWETH, undertaker and dealer in furniture, was born at Brompton, England, April 21, 1829, emigrated to New York City in 1832, where he learned the trade of cabinetmaker with his father, and followed it afterward as a journeyman. In 1851 he engaged in the furniture business, remaining in it about one year, then in the same business in Yates County, N. Y., for a year, after which he returned to the city and was employed at his trade and also as a salesman; and for two years during the war worked in the United States armory at Springfield, Mass. In 1868 he came to Ottawa, was employed at his trade for two years, and farmed for two years in Osage County. Returning to Ottawa in 1871, he engaged in present business. Was in company with F. A. Beeler from 1873 to 1877. His principal business is as an undertaker, and has a good furniture trade, for which he carries a stock of about $2,500. Mr. Chenoweth was married in New York City, September 18, 1850, to Mary E. Hall. She died in 1853, leaving two children. He was married again in 1864, to Mary A. Jones. They have seven children.
S. D. CLARK, proprietor of the Franklin County Foundry, was born in Springfield, Mass., in 1824, and served and apprenticeship of three years to the machinists' trade there and in Boston, after which he was for seven years employed in the locomotive works in the latter city; three years superintendent of locomotive works at Portland, Me.; three years at Norwalk, Ohio, as foreman of Toledo and Cleveland railroad shops; six years as master mechanic of the D. V. R. R. shops at Keokuk, Iowa, and during the war was employed in the marine department of the United States Government. He then went to the oil regions of Pennsylvania, and was for two years superintendent of the Mendenhall mining company. Coming West, was for two years or more superintendent of the Keystone Iron Works at Kansas City, and for a time in charge of the Kansas City bridge over the Missouri River. Was foreman of the L. L. & G. R. R. shops for a year, and came to Ottawa in March, 1873. In the employ of the K. C. L. & S. K. R. R. Co. In 1874 he built his present foundry, and is now doing a large business in manufacturing and repairing all kinds of machinery, castings and mill work, giving employment to some twelve men.
HON. WM. H. CLARK, attorney, was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, in January, 1839. Emigrated to Monmouth, Ill., twelve years later; here he attended Monmouth College, and was also for a time engaged in farming pursuits. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company F, Eighty-third Illinois Infantry, and after considerable service was promoted to Captain of the Sixteenth United States Colored Infantry, serving until June, 1866. In July of that year he came to Kansas and practiced law for eighteen months at White Cloud, Doniphan County. In 1868 he came to Ottawa, and at once opened an office for the practice of his profession at this place. He has been for the past six years associated in his practice with F. A. Wilkinson and since 1871 has been interested in the book and stationery firm of Clark Bros. of that place. Mr. Clark was elected for a term in 1872 to the State Legislature. From 1878 to 1880 was Postmaster at this place, and elected Justice of the Peace and Police Judge in the spring of 1881.