|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
STATE TEACHERS' ASSOCIATION.
A teachers' association was formed at Leavenworth March 14, 1863. The State Teachers' Association was organized at Leavenworth September 29, 1863.
The Kansas Educational Journal commenced its publication January, 1864, H. D. McCarty, editor. Its corps of associate editors were B. L. Baldridge and D. P. Mitchell, of Leavenworth; Richard Cordlay and Miss Lois Reynolds, of Lawrence; Peter McVicar and Mrs. E. H. Mabie, of Topeka; R. K. McCartney, of Valley Falls; Miss H. A. Earhart, of Emporia; Isaac T. Goodnow, of Manhattan; James Rogers, of Burlingame; Miss Mary J. Watson, of Emporia; Miss A. J. Ellinwood, of Chicago, Ill.
The second annual meeting of the association was held at Atchison, July 26, 1865. The association meeting for 1866 was held at Lawrence July 3. Its officers were as follows: President, Peter McVicar; Recording Secretary, L. B. Kellogg; Corresponding Secretary, John S. Brown; Treasurer, Miss Carrie Collins.
July 4, 1867, the association met at Topeka. Its President was B. F. Mudge; Recording Secretary, Miss M. J. Watson; Corresponding Secretary, D. T. Bradford; Treasurer, H. D. McCarty. July 2, 1868, the association meeting was held at Emporia. Its officers were: President, David J. Brewer; Recording Secretary, Mrs. J. H. Gorham; Corresponding Secretary, Joseph Denison; Treasurer, Miss E. D. Copley.
Peter McVicar succeeded Prof. McCarty as editor of the journal; L. B. Kellogg and H. B. Norton succeeded Superintendent McVicar.
June 29, 1869, the association met at Manhattan. Its officers were: I. J. Bannister, President; Miss Alice L. Norton, Recording Secretary; Thomas C. Dick, Corresponding Secretary; Miss Lizzie Ela, Treasurer.
Peter McVicar was President; Elbridge Gale, Secretary of an association of County and City School Superintendents.
June 28, 1870, the association held their meeting at Wyandotte. Its President was Jeremiah Evarts Platt; Recording Secretary, Miss E. M. Dickinson; Corresponding Secretary, D. J. Evans; Treasurer, Miss Matilda J. Upton.
In August, 1871, the Educational Journal was removed from Emporia to Topeka, and the teachers' association met there December 29, 1871. Its President was John Fraser; Recording Secretary, C. B. Isham; Corresponding Secretary, Joseph Denison.
December 25, 1872, the association met at Humboldt. Its officers were as follows: President, John W. Horner; Recording Secretary, A. B. Lemmon; Corresponding Secretary, S. M. Gaston; Treasurer, Mrs. H. A. Monroe.
State Superintendent McCarty, in his annual report of 1873, submits the second annual report signed by Eben Blackly, President of the Board of Directors of the Quindaro State Normal School. This is a colored institution, and in the report is found the following:
The antecedents of the colored population preclude the idea of an advanced standard of admission at present, but we are gradually raising it; and yet, by the way, we may remark that two of our scholars have received certificates from the County Superintendent, and are engaged in teaching.
The Legislature of 1873 made an appropriation for this institution of $1,100.
In his report of 1874, Superintendent McCarty speaks of the great educational progress during twelve years, the comparisons being as follows:
==================================================== YEAR. 1862 1874 ==================================================== Children of School Age..... 13,976 191,010 District School Taxes...... $191,010.00 895,095.85 Value of School Buildings. $ 10,423.50 3,989.085.67 ----------------------------------------------------
In 1875, Judicial District Institutes were held in the fifteen districts, and the thirteenth annual meeting of the teachers was held at Topeka, on the 24th, 25th and 26th of August. Superintendent Fraser says of it:
The ability and earnestness with which important practical questions relating to the improvement of our common school system were discussed at the meeting, do credit to the association and to the State.
The association held its fourteenth annual meeting at Valley Falls June 20-22, 1876, and an adjourned meeting was held at Topeka December 26-28, 1876.
Among the resolutions adopted were the following:
For the future welfare of the children, the State should adopt a uniform system of normal instruction, and should make provision for the ultimate establishment of several free normal schools.
The annual meeting for 1877 was held at Emporia June 26-28, 1877. Its officers for 1876, 1877 and 1878 were as follows: 1876 and 1877, L. B. Kellogg, Emporia, President; Mary A. Higbey, Oswego, Recording Secretary; H. C. Speer, Junction City, Corresponding Secretary; Peter McVicar, Topeka, Treasurer. 1877 and 1878, Allen B. Lemmon, Winfield, President; William Wheeler, Ottawa, Secretary; Peter McVicar, Topeka, Treasurer. There were ninety educators in attendance.
The meeting for 1878 was held at Atchison June 24-26. There were about 150 persons in attendance.
Death of Ex-Superintendent Fraser. - The following resolutions were adopted relating to the deceased:
WHEREAS, The members of this association have learned with great sorrow of the recent death of Gen. John Fraser, LL. D., formerly Chancellor of the University of Kansas, and subsequently State Superintendent of Public Instruction, therefore be it
The meeting for 1879, was held at Lawrence, in the State University Building, June 16-19, 1879.
Gen. John Eaton, United States Commissioner of Education, was in attendance, and favored the association with valuable addresses. Among the resolutians (sic) adopted were the following:
That this association desires to call special attention to the work of Hon. John Eaton, United States Commissioner of Education, and to express its appreciation of the results of the labors of the department under his control.
The association meeting for 1880 was held at Topeka June 22-24. The Legislature was by resolution to make provision for a thorough geological survey of the State. The meetings for 1881 were held at Manhattan June 21-23, and at Topeka December 27-29. Its officers were: William Wheeler, President; John McDonald, Vice President; F. W. Parsons Secretary; Miss Sarah A. Brown, Treasurer.
State Superintendent Speer in his biennial report, referring to it, says:
Its membership is made up of representative teachers of Kansas, and its exercises are largely concerned with questions of public education. Through its instrumentality much has been done toward unifying and systematizing the work of graded schools, rural schools and county supervision.
The Educationist. - This monthly journal, whose publication commenced January, 1879, is the organ of the Department of Public Instruction and of the State Teachers' Association. Its editor and publisher is George W. Hoss, Topeka, a former President of the State Normal School.
Associate Editors. - At the twenty-third session of the State Teachers' Association, held at Topeka December 26-28, 1882, the following-named persons were elected associate editors: Teachers, H. D. McCarty, Highland; J. H. Canfield, Lawrence; Ida A. Ahlborn, Atchison. Superintendents, William Bishop, Salina; J. H. Lee, Manhattan; Lizzie J. Stephenson, Yates Center.
At the County Superintendents' Convention the following resolutions were adopted:
WHEREAS, the Educationist is the organ of the Department of Public Instruction and of the State Teachers' Association, and
Officers for 1883. - President, F. A. Fitzpatrick, Superintendent Leavenworth Schools; Vice President, John Wherrell, Principal of Paola Normal School; Recording Secretary, D. E. Lantz, Superintendent Manhattan Schools; Corresponding Secretary, L. Lightfoot, Principal of Mulvane Schools; Treasurer, H. F. Ellis, Superintendent of Franklin County; Executive Committee, H. C. Speer, State Superintendent Public Instruction; Bion S. Hutchins, Principal of Beloit Schools; A. V. Jewett, Superintendent of Abilene Schools.
Charter. - The charter of the association read as follows:
For the purpose of elevating the profession of teaching and promoting the interest of schools in Kansas, we, whose names are affixed, associate ourselves together under the following constitution:
THE KANSAS STATE SCHOOL FUNDS.
As is known to the reader, the State School Fund has been derived principally from the proceeds of the school sections, two in each township, set apart for school purposes in the act admitting Kansas as a State. The present fund has been accumulated from the sale of school lands, and the prospective increase of the fund is based on the value of school lands yet unsold, amounting to nearly 2,000,000 acres. The permanent fund is loaned to school districts for the construction of schoolhouses and other strictly educational purposes. The balance not thus used is invested in approved securities, and the income apportioned to the several counties of the State for current school expenses, constituting a part of the annual source of income for educational purposes. The present condition and prospective value of the school fund of Kansas are shown in the following extracts from the report of the State School Fund Commissioners for the two years ending June 30, 1882, with comments by State Superintendent Speer:
The amounts of the securities held by the State Treasurer at this date, credited to these funds, are as follows: