|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
WILLIAM T. BARBER, farmer, Section 12, P. O. Lawrence, box 169, born in Wayne County, Ind., November 10, 1840; came with his father to the State in 1857, and settled on the farm, where he still resides in Kanwaka Township. This farm contains 560 acres and is under a good state of cultivation. Mr. Barber has always lived on a farm, and prefers that to any other business. He was married in Clinton Township, Kan., June 27, 1877, to Miss Mary M. Houston, daughter of M. W. Houston, Esq. Mr. Barber is a member of Lawrence Lodge, No. 6, A., F. & A. M.
WILLIAM J. CUMMINGS, farmer, Section 15, P. O. Clinton, was born in Pittsburgh, Penn., February 11, 1848, and there lived during his youth and early manhood, enjoying the advantages which that city furnished to young men. When the war of the rebellion was seriously threatening the life of the nation, his patriotism led him to enlist in the spring of 1863, in Company M, Fifth Regiment Kansas Cavalry, and he served until the close of the war; was in the following engagements: Balls Bluff, Iron Mountain, Mine Creek, Lexington, and many skirmishes; was discharged in the fall of 1865. Mr. C. came to the State in 1857, and settled in Douglas County. A short time since, he purchased a farm containing 311 acres bordering on the line of Clinton and Kanwaka Townships, where he now resides. Mr. C. was married in Douglas County, November, 1872, to Miss Emma, daughter of David Boyd, Esq. They have four children - William Arthur, Myra and Mattie. Mr. C. is a member of the Presbyterian Church in Clinton.
JAMES FITZPATRICK & BROS., farmers, Section 21, P. O. Big Springs. These gentlemen are natives of Tioga County, Penn. They came to the State in 1869, and settled on their farm in Kanwaka Township, where they own 1,540 acres, partly in Lecompton Township. They have erected two fine residences on their farm, which exhibit good taste. The long stone fences, built in a substantial manner on their farm, show that they are planning wisely. Two of the brothers, Michael T. and Thomas H. are married, and although they were reared in the Catholic faith, they are all members of Masonic Lodges, and James is a member of an Odd Fellow Lodge. These gentlemen employ four men constantly, and during the busy season several more. Their farm is well stocked with improved machinery.
D. W. SCOUTEN, farmer, Section 6, P. O. Belvoir, born in Cortland County, N. Y., February 12, 1833, and removed to Terre Haute, Ind., and received a partial college education at Wabash College, Crawfordsville, Ind. He came to Kansas in 1856, settled in Kanwaka Township. Farms a quarter-section, and is a bachelor.
WILLOW SPRINGS TOWNSHIP.
I. L. BAKER, farmer, Section 36, P. O. Media, was born in Lancaster County, Penn., July 10, 1828, where he grew to manhood and then moved to Huntingdon County, Penn., where he was united in marriage January 1, 1852, to Miss Catherine E., daughter of Azaria McClain, and to him have been born nine children, five of whom are dead - Jennie E., Nellie A., Judson E., Isaac O. and Alvah A. The last four died of scarlet fever, May 2, 3, 4, and 12, 1880, respectively. Jennie E. died of spotted fever. The names of the living are Mary J., Lemon C., Eliza A. and Jacob H. Mr. Baker came to this State in the spring of 1857, and settled where he now resides. He was without money, but he went to work with the determination of making himself a home and a fortune, in both of which he has been successful. He now owns 433 acres, all improved and free from incumbrance. He has built a large residence at a cost of $2,500, and a fine barn at a cost of $900, and has his home surrounded with beautiful shrubbery and evergreens. Altogether, Mr. Baker is one of the few men who came into the country and prospered, and at the same time led a strictly moral and upright life. He is a member of the Methodist Church in Baldwin, and also of Palmyra Lodge, No. 23, A., F. & A. M. Four of Quantrill's men endeavored to burn his buildings, but were prevented by the timely arrival of troops under Lane.
SAMUEL BAKER, farmer, Section 2, P. O. Pleasant Grove, born in Montgomery County, Ohio, June 28, 1833. His father removed with him to Darke County, Ohio, and there Samuel was raised, educated at a common school. Mr. Baker was united in marriage in Darke County, Ohio, May 18, 1856, to Miss Elizabeth Bower. They have had five children, two of whom are dead. The living are John W., Henry and Martha. Mr. Baker came to the State in 1860, and settled in Willow Springs Township, where he owns a fine farm of 160 acres. In 1867, he returned to Ohio and remained ten years, and then came back to his farm. He is also one of the recognized ministers of the German Baptist Church, and was set apart in March, 1865, and preaches now regularly on the Sabbath, but he engages on the farm during the week.
CYRUS BEARD, farmer, Section 18, P. O. Centropolis, born in Wayne County, Ind., March 11, 1831, where he grew to manhood. He went to California and remained two years, and then returned to Indiana, and afterward moved to Mercer County, Ill. There he was united in marriage, October 1, 1854, to Miss Mahala, daughter of Abraham Bear, who died in March, 1862. He was again united in marriage, July 3, 1864, to Miss Clara, daughter of August Spoledar, Esq. Mr. B. has had thirteen children, four of whom are dead. The living children are Mary E., John, William A., Eli J., Cyrus W., Clara A., Cora L., Jacob M. and Effie A. Mr. C. Beard is a son of John and Charity Beard. He came to the State in the fall of 1856, and settled in Willow Springs Township, where he owns 800 acres, 450 of which are under the plow. Mr. B. was raised a Quaker, but is now a Spiritualist.
JOHN DYER, Jr., farmer, Section 15, P. O. Media, born in Ogdensburg, N. Y., September 15, 1837. In 1840, his father moved to Wisconsin, and there John grew up to manhood, receiving a common school education. He came to Kansas in 1857, and settled in Willow Springs Township. He owns a fine farm of 180 acres, with good buildings and other improvements, showing him to be an excellent farmer. He enlisted in the army in February, 1861, in Company K, Second Regiment United States Dragoons. He participated in the first battle of Bull Run, and was afterward taken sick with typhoid fever, followed with the measles, and discharged for disability in May, 1862. Mr. Dyer was married in Jennings County, Ind., January 8, 1866, to Miss Mary, daughter of Anthony Tenoughty, Esq. They have six children - Mary T., Catherine, Ida A., Anna E., Ellen J. and Margaret G. Mr. and Mrs. Dyer are members of the Catholic Church.
HENRY S. EBERHART, farmer, Section 10, P. O. Pleasant Grove, was born in Mercer County, Penn., May 20, 1831. When he was a child his father moved into Butler County, Penn., and a few years later to Armstrong County, Penn., where Henry S. grew up receiving a common school education. He was united in marriage in Armstrong County, Penn., December 29, 1853, to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Jacob Hawks, by whom he has eight children - Sarah C., Samuel L., Mary E., Susannah E., Margaret R., David H., Noah A. and Naomi M. He came to this State in 1854, but returned to Pennsylvania the following year, and came back again in 1857, and settled in Willow Springs Township, where he owns a small farm of fifty acres, with good buildings, etc. During the war, Mr. E. was drafted and place in Company C, Tenth Regiment Kansas Infantry, but was soon taken down with rheumatism and sent to the hospital, and was discharged August 7, 1865.
A. M. ELLIS, M. D., farmer, Section 11, P. O. Pleasant Grove, born in Champion, N. Y., February 8, 1821; educated at Champion Academy, and in 1844 commenced the study of medicine under Eli West, M. D., of Carthage, N. Y., and finished under Drs. Henry J. Ellis and W. C. Paramore, and entered upon the practice of his profession with his tutors, with whom he remained until 1859, and the following year he came to the State, and settled in Lawrence, and has since resided within a few miles of that city. In 1879, he moved to Willow Springs Township, where he combines his profession and farming. The Doctor has been twice married; first in Champion, N. Y., September 12, 1842, to Miss Elizabeth J. Potter; second, in Lawrence, Kan., February 21, 1865, to Miss Rachel R., daughter of Isaac and Charlotte Stull. He has six children - Augustus A., Delos M., Edwin E., Lillie B., Eliza S. V. and Cliffbrd (sic) M. The Doctor and wife are members of the High Prairie Methodist Church, and he is one of the Stewards.
FREDERICK FLEER, farmer, Section 19, P. O. Willow Springs, came to the State in 1868; settled in Eudora, where he remained about one year, and then came into Willow Springs, where he has since resided. He owns a fine farm, containing 362 acres, 250 of which are under the plow. He keeps 10 horses, 30 cattle and 20 hogs, and with the aid of his sons raises fine crops of corn, wheat, oats, etc. Mr. Fleer was born in Prussia June 19, 1829; came to the United States in 1852; settled in Franklin County, Mo., where he resided until he came to Kansas. He was enrolled in the Missouri State Militia, and was called out several times during the late rebellion. He has been twice married, the first time in St. Louis, Mo., August 15, 1856, to Miss Annie Sheltman, who died February 10, 1870. He was again united in marriage in Willow Springs, February 17, 1871, to Mrs. Barbara, widow of David Zerby and daughter of James Mattis. Mr. Fleer has the following children - Frederick W., Minnie, August H., Annie M. C., Amelia and Joseph D.; and the following step-children; John, Elizabeth (the wife of George Ray) and Matilda E., Zerby, besides Oliver H. Bastion, whom he proposes to adopt. Mr. Fleer and family are members of the Evangelical Association Church.
JAMES H. GLEASON, farmer, Section 13, P. O. Pleasant Grove, came to Kansas in 1854; settled in Lawrence, and the following year moved to Willow Springs Township, where he still resides on his farm, containing 160 acres, which he has improved. When he commenced on this place, he had no near neighbors, but now every farm adjoining him is well-improved. His stock of horses, cattle and hogs shows him to be a good farmer, and his house and barns are among the best in the town. Mr. Gleason was born in Saratoga Springs, N. Y., November 10, 1827, but when a child his parents moved to Hamburg, Erie Co., N. Y., where he remained for several years, and then moved to Crawford County, Penn., and there resided until he came to the State. He was burned out by Quantrill, 1863; house, barns and timber in yard all destroyed. Mr. G. was united in marriage in Lawrence, Kan., July 7, 1863, to Miss Joanna L., daughter of Charles Ayer, Esq. They have three children - Charles J., Clifton A. and Alice J. Mr. G. and family are members of the Methodist Church.
GOERGE F. HAUS, farmer, Section 32, P. O. Willow Springs, was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, July 7, 1842. At the age of twelve years, he came to the United States, and settled with his parents in Connecticut, where he attended the common schools and received some English education. He is a son of Frederick and Mary E. (Fisher) Haas; he came to this State in 1858, without either money or friends, and settled in Willow Springs Township, where he undertook to make a home, and now owns 255 acres of farm land, which, under his skillful management, has become one of the best farms in his neighborhood. On it he has erected a fine dwelling and other buildings. Mr. Haas (sic) exhibited his loyalty in Company A, Second Regiment Kansas Cavalry, and served faithfully until April 25, 1865, when he was honorably discharged. He was united in marriage in North Liberty, Iowa, January 17, 1867, to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Matthias Albright, Esq.; he has the following living children: Charles S., Clara R., Magdalena M. M., Theodore F., Louisa and Mary Elizabeth. Mr. Haas is a member and Deacon of the German Evangelical Church.
HON. JAMES H. HARRISON, farmer, Section 13, P. O. Norwood. The subject of this sketch is the son of Joshua Harrison, who was born in Maryland June 6, 1780, and died August 8, 1870, leaving ten living children. James H. was born in Shelby County, Ky., December 7, 1807, where he lived twenty-two years, receiving a good common School education. He then moved to Montgomery County, Ind., and engaged largely in farming and stock-raising, dealing in mules principally. He came to Kansas in 1856-57, and was the occasional correspondent of the New York Tribue during the border troubles. Mr. H. has been twice married, both times in Montgomery County, Ind. He was married July 26, 1832, to Miss Elizabeth Watkins, who died March 2, 1879; and again married August 26, 1880, to Mrs. Temperance, widow of Samuel Jenkins, and daughter of Thomas Robinson, Esq. He has five children living - Robert W., Joshua P., Thomas H., Sarah R. and Carrie S. Mr. Harrison was a member of the Indiana Legislature in 1843-44. He owns in Kansas 867 acres, and is a remarkably well-preserved man.
EPHRAIM HERTZLER, farmer, Section 13, P. O. Pleasant Grove, born in Port Royal, Juniata Co., Penn., December 12, 1844, where he grew to manhood, receiving a good common school education; enlisted March 6, 1865, for one year, or during the war, in the One Hundred and First Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Veterans, and was discharged July 20, 1865. He was united in marriage in Port Royal, Penn., December 26, 1867, to Miss Magdaline, daughter of Samuel Bashere, Esq.; they have five children, viz.: Anna M., Emma F., Harvey, Minnie E. and an infant not yet named. Mr. H. came to Kansas in 1872, and settled in Willow Springs Township, owning 245 acres of finely improved land, 200 of which he has under the plow. Mr. H. introduced the Fretz wheat in his neighborhood, and it has become very popular and profitable among the farmers. On his farm, he has a field of tame grass, on which he cut three tons of hay per acre last year. Mr. and Mrs. H. are members of the German Baptist church.
SAMUEL KIRCHNER, farmer, Section 33, P. O. Willow Springs, was born in Cape Vincent, N. Y., January 4, 1857, and when five years of age he moved with his parents to St. Paul, Minn., where he lived seven years, and then came to Kansas in 1869; settled in Willow Springs Township, where he has since resided. Mr. K. was united in marriage in Lawrence, Kan. May 21, 1878, to Miss Vernellia A., daughter of Harrison Crites; they have one child - Henry H.
JACOB MARKLEY, farmer, Section 9, P. O. Willow Springs, born in Stark County, Ohio, September 16, 1829, where he lived twenty-six years. He is a son of George Markley and Christina Howell. Mr. M. came to the State in 1857, and settled in Willow Springs Township, where he located a farm, receiving a Government deed for 160 acres, to which he has added until he now owns 648 acres. He made his commencement upon almost nothing, and now ranks with the foremost farmers in the county. He was married in Stark County, Ohio, March 18, 1869, to Miss Martha, daughter of Jacob Shoemaker, Esq.; they have five children - Levi, George W., Mary J., Sarah E. and Jacob. Mr. and Mrs. M. are active members of the Old German Baptist Church. He is a Deacon of the church.
FRANCIS M. PRICE, farmer, Section 24, P. O. Lawrence. The subject of this sketch is a son of William C. and Hannah J. Price, and was born in Huntingdon County, Penn., September 18, 1846. He came to the State with his father in 1859, and they settled in Willow Springs Township. When the war called upon him, he responded September 5, 1862, enlisting for three years in Company B, Twelfth Regiment Kansas Volunteer Infantry, and served mostly on detached duty, and was honorably discharged May 24, 1865. He was united in marriage in the house where he still resides, September 8, 1868, to Miss Margaretta B., daughter of John and Eliza Gallaher. They have three children living - Ralph R., Nettie M. and Murray E. He owns 160 acres which are under a good state of cultivation. Mr. P. and wife are members of the Methodist Church.
WILLIAM SAILER, farmer, Section 17, P. O. Willow Springs, came to this State in December, 1878, settling in Willow Springs Township, where he owns a farm containing 160 acres, improved, with good buildings, etc. He was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, June 25, 1843. He came to the United States in 1853, and settled in Muskingum County, Ohio, where he resided until he came to Kansas. Mr. Sailer was united in marriage in Zanesville, Ohio, March 28, 1867, to Miss Mary A., daughter of Casper Frasch. They have six children - Minnie A., Emma L., William A., George F., Charles L. and John F. Mr. and Mrs. S. are members of the United Brethren Church, and he is a Steward and Trustee.
H. B. SANDERS, farmer, Section 8, P. O. Willow Springs, born in Hanover, Germany, November 2, 1835. Came to the United States in 1857, and settled in Peoria County, Ill., and in 1860 came to the State and settled in Willow Springs Township, where he lived one year, and then returned to Illinois, and came back in 1866, and lived two years in Shawnee County, and then moved on the farm where he now resides. Owns 160 acres, well improved. He was married in Willow Springs Township, October 12, 1871, to Miss Nancy J., daughter of Charles Matney. They have five children, viz.: Charles B., Barbara E., Nora M., Sadie M. and Hettie E.
MARTIN SCHOEPFLIN, farmer, Section 9, P. O. Willow Springs. He was born in Baden, Germany, July 7, 1836. He came to the United States with his parents when eight years old, and settled in Allegheny County, Penn., and nine years later moved to Stephenson County, Ill., and then moved into Iowa, where he lived twelve years, and then came to Kansas and settled in Willow Springs Township in 1875, where he now resides, and owns a farm containing 195 acres, improved with excellent buildings, etc. During the rebellion, he exhibited his patriotism by enlisting, but the examining surgeon rejected him. Mr. S. was united in marriage in Stephenson County, Ill., May 27, 1857, to Miss Christina, daughter of Jacob Schreiber, Esq. They have nine children - Mary E., William, Sarah, Emma, Edward M., Jacob F., John A., Caroline R. and Annie M. Mr. and Mrs. S. are members of the Evangelical Association Church.
WILLIAM SCHOEPFLIN, farmer, Sefton 33, P. O. Willow Springs, born in Baden, Germany, August 29, 1839. He came to the United States with his parents in 1841, and settled in Allegheny County, Penn., where he grew to manhood, receiving a common school education. After leaving Pennsylvania, he resided in Stephenson County, Ill., eight years; then removed to Hardin County, Iowa, remaining four years, and then removed to Madison County, Iowa, where he lived five years, coming to Kansas in 1874, and purchasing a large farm containing 446 acres, which is all improved, having 300 acres under the plow. His farm is well stocked, and indicates the thrifty and prosperous farmer. Mr. S. has been twice married, first in Freeport, Ill., May 12, 1864, to Miss Caroline C. Dengel, who died July 22, 1880. Again in Wabash County, Ind., April 17, 1881, to Miss Matilda S., daughter of Isaac Croft. He has five children - John C., Henry, Charles E., Cora A. and Rena. Mr. S. is a prominent member of the Evangelical Church.
JAMES SKAGGS, farmer, Section 19, P. O. Media, came to the State in 1854; settled in Leavenworth County, and in 1857 moved to Willow Springs Township, where he owns a farm of 158 acres, all improved. Born in Henry County, Ind., October 19, 1833, and has since lived in Iowa and Missouri. During the border war, he lost everything except the clothes he had on and bedding. Mr. S. was married in Platt County, Mo., August 4, 1854, to Miss Sarah F., daughter of Michael Howard, Esq. They have five children - Melvina N., Pamelia, Effie, Ella and Edna. Mr. and Mrs. S. are members of the Union Baptist church. Mr. S. was taken and held a prisoner nine days by the border ruffians, for his abolition sentiments.
JAMES T. TYNER, farmer, Section 14, P. O. Media, born March 13, 1862, and is the son of James and Margaret Tyner. His father died when he was an infant, and he has ever since lived with his mother, and now works the farm owned by his mother. Mrs. Tyner came to Kansas in 1854, and settled in Leavenworth County, and two years after moved to Willow Springs Township, where she owns 160 acres. She was born in Howard County, Mo., December 4, 1835, and soon after moved to Andrew County, Mo. She was married in Savannah, Mo., September 18, 1853, to Mr. James Tyner, who died in 1862. She is the daughter of James Tindall. There are four children - Alice E., Emma P., James T. and Arthur J. Alice E. is now the wife of Wylie E. Jones, of Prairie City, Kan.
JOHN ULRICH, farmer, Section 2, P. O. Pleasant Grove, born in Wayne County, Ind., November 26, 1836, where he remained until nineteen years of age, engaged on a farm during the summer, and at school in the winter. He came to the State in the fall of 1855 with his father, and remained in Wyandotte until the following spring, when he settled in Willow Springs Township. Mr. U. owns 246 acres, and has it well improved. During the war, he was called out, and served in the State militia, participating in the battle of the Blue, in an engagement between the Union forces and Sterling Price. He was united in marriage in Wayne County, Ind., July 2, 1859, to Miss Lydia Bowen, by whom he has six children, viz.: Anna M., Jacob R., Charles E., William L., Margaret A. and Aaron W. Mr. and Mrs. U. are members of the German Baptist Church, and he is one of the Deacons.
M. W. VANKUNKEL, M. D., Section 19, Town 14, Range 19, P. O. Echo, was born in Lehigh County, Penn., June 221, 1840. He commenced the study of medicine in 1862, and graduated from Bellevue Medical College, in the class of 1865, and at once settled in Lyons, Berks County, Penn., and after two years of successful practice he removed to Bethlehem, Penn., and there entered upon a large practice, which was interrupted in 1870 and 1871 by his absence in Germany, during the Franco-Prussian war, where he became a Surgeon in the hospital. On his return, he continued to enjoy the same popularity he had won as a skillful surgeon and physician. He has been twice married, first in Lyons, Penn., October 29, 1867, to Miss Kate A., daughter of John Haak, Esq., who died in 1869, leaving one child, Charles H., since deceased. Was married the second time in Allentown, Penn., October 5, 1877, to Miss Sally E., daughter of John C. Drake, Esq., of Philadelphia. They have three children - Bertha R., Mary D. and Howard Everett. One child, George E., died some time since. The Doctor is a member of the Lutheran Church, and his wife is a member of the Presbyterian Church.