|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
The first settlement know as Belvoir, was located on the old Sante Fe trail, from Kansas City to Mexico, thirteen miles southwest of Lawrence. Among the first permanent settlers in its vicinity, who came in 1855-56, were H. Heine, James M. Dun, M. Clayton, R. A. Dean, H. McKenzie, A. S. Baldwin, A. E. Northrop, J. Hulze, D. Dack and Mr. Smith, who died in 1856, which was probably the first death in the neighborhood. In what was known as the McKenzie neighborhood, a Catholic church known as St. John's Church, was established in 1856, and supplied for a number of years from the Catholic Cathedral at Lecompton. In the summer of 1865, a stone schoolhouse twenty-four by forty feet was built at a cost of $1,500 Dr. George Hubbard and W. Markle being among the first teachers.
On account of the proximity of Belvoir to Twin Mound, no post office was established until 1868, when L. D. Bailey received the appointment as Postmaster. In 1873, the Carbondale branch of the Union Pacific Railroad having been completed, Belvoir post office was moved two and one-half miles to the railroad, a new schoolhouse was built and other improvements made, which had the effect of brining the business of the community to that point.
Clinton is situated on rolling prairie, between Rock Creek and the Wakarusa, about nine miles southwest of Lawrence. The first settlement was made here in June, 1854, by John A. Beam, N. Alguire and M. Albin. Later, a Mr. Spradling, Lyman Sawyers, L. H. Boughton, and G. W. Umberger moved into this vicinity.
The post office was established at Bloomington about a mile east of Clinton, July 11, 1855, Harrison Burson being appointed first Postmaster. This post office was discontinued and one established at Clinton, August 30, 1858, with J. A. Beam, Postmaster. A store was opened by Mr. Beam, in June, 1854, on the north side of the public square. In 1858, Clinton was a prominent contestant for the county seat.
Clinton Presbyterian Church. - An organization of this denomination was perfected in 1860, by the Rev. William Rankin, with the following members: J. C. Steele, Elizabeth Steele, L. S. and Hattie Steele, R. A. Dean, Mary Dean and Mrs. Watts. The present church edifice, twenty-eight by thirty-five feet, was erected in 1865 at an expense of $1,000. The following named pastors have officiated in the order mentioned: Revs. William Bishop, J. V. A. Ward, Mr. Brownlee, G. F. Chapin, J. H. Caneth, A. V. Stout, J. N. Young, B. F. Crosby and J. H. Byers. Present membership, sixty-five.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - CLINTON TOWNSHIP.
DANIEL DUCK, farmer, Section 31, P. O. Twin Mound, born in Center County, Penn., August 23, 1826, where he grew up on a farm, and received a common school education. He enlisted in June, 1846, in Company E, Third Regiment Ohio Volunteers, in the Mexican war. The hospital was more trying to him than the battle-field. He was discharged in 1847, for disability. He came to Kansas in 1857, and settled in Clinton Township. Owns and has improved 525 acres. Has 160 acres under the plow. When the war threatened Kansas, he went out and fought bravely at the battle of the Blue. He was married in Stephenson County, Ill., October 24, 1850, to Miss Polina E. Wells. They have one child - Ellen S., born April 12, 1855.
GIDEON ELIAS, farmer, Section 20, P. O. Lawrence, was born in Huntington County, Penn., August 26, 1821. After receiving a good common school education, he attended the Tuscarawas Academy, Pennsylvania, and has since been engaged as a lawyer and farmer. He was married in Pennsylvania December 28, 18?1, to Miss Isabella C., daughter of John Humpsen, Esq. They have had nine children, but only two of them are living, viz.: Juniatta A. and Ethel L. Mr. E. came to the State in March, 1857, and settled in Douglas County. The first night after his arrival in the State, he was robbed, by a border ruffian. When Quantrill retreated from Lawrence, he passed through Mr. Elias' yard with his whole force; being hard pressed by the forces under command of Lane and Plumb, they did not have time to burn Mr. Elias' house, as they had of every Union man on the road. In April, 1859, Mr. E. was taken with disease in the eyes, which nearly rendered him blind for seven years, but he eventually recovered, and is now a hearty old gentleman, carrying on his farm of 160 acres which he owns in Clinton Township.
JOHN HARRELL, farmer, Section 34, P. O. Clinton, was born in Crawford County, Ark., February 10, 1845. Came to Kansas in the spring of 1861, and settled in Clinton Township, where he owns a farm of 118 acres, and also works another farm of 220 acres. He enlisted for one year July 8, 1867, in Company A, Eighteenth Regiment Kansas Volunteers, for guard duty on the plains for protecting freighters and railroad laborers from outlaws and Indians, but was wounded, and discharged November 16, 1867. He was married in Lawrence August 2, 1871, to Miss Catherine, daughter of Joseph Anderson, Esq. They have four children - Minnie L., Charles E., Sarah C. and Lola B.
K. KETELS, farmer, Section 15, P. O. Clinton, was born in Germany May 13, 1826; emigrated to the United States in 1873, and settled in Osage County, where he resided four years, and then came to Douglas County, where he owns a large farm in Clinton Township. Mr. K. was married in his native land November 7, 1851, to Miss Louisa Cornelius, who also came with him to America. They have six children, viz.: Bertha, Augusta, Eliza, Julius, Carl and Hugo. Mr. K. and wife are members of the Lutheran Church.
HON. ELIAB B. MACY, M. D., farmer, Section 24, P. O. Clinton, was born in Preble County, Ohio, October 13, 1871, and is a lineal descendant of Thomas Macy, who came from England in 1636 in the Mayflower, and settled in Massachusetts; fled to Nantucket. He is a son of Stephen Macy and Mary Gardner. In his youth, Eliab G. attended the Friends Academy at Elkton, Ohio, his father and mother being of that faith. In 1837, he commenced the study of medicine, graduating in the class of 1840 from the Ohio Medical College in Cincinnati, and at once entered upon a uccessful (sic) practice in Butler County, Ohio, which he continued up to 1854, when he came to Kansas and settled in Clinton Township, where he still resides upon a farm of 100 acres, which he owns and cultivates. In 1862, Mr. Macy represented Douglas County in the Legislature with credit to himself and honor to his constituents. From his earliest recollections, he espoused the cause of freedom, and has ever been a warm and earnest advocate of the oppressed, contributing of his means freely to their relief. During the border troubles, the Doctor served in the militia with the rank of Lieutenant and Surgeon, in the late war or rebellion nearly two years. Dr. Macy and Miss Rachel Cooper were united in marriage in Preble County, Ohio, December 19, 1841; and to them have been born eleven children, seven of whom are living - Horace C., John G., Stephen J., Louie E., William S., Amy and Charles S. One of his sons - Eberly Q., enlisted in 1861, and served faithfully until November, 1816, when he was killed by a bushwhacker while on a march. Mrs. Macy is a member of the Society of Friends.
THOMAS B. PETEFISH, farmer, Section 14, P. O. Belvoir, was born in Rickingham County, Va., August 7, 1833, son of Jacob H. and Elizabeth (Price) Petefish. When but a child, Thomas moved with his parents to Cass County, Ill., where he grew up on a farm, and was educated in the common schools. He resided in Illinois until 1862, then spent four years in the mountains of Idaho, Montana and Washington; came to this State in 1867; settled in Douglas County; owns 400 acres of land in Clinton Township, Douglas County, where he has resided since coming to Kansas. He was married in Sangamon County, Ill., June 23, 1859, to Miss Adda C., daughter of James Parkinson; they have seven children - Marion P., born March 23, 1860; Lotia L., born September 21, 1861; Elizabeth M., born November 1, 1867; Linna E., born September 15, 1869; Pearlie M., born January 11, 1872; Sarah A, born September 20, 1874; Nancy Adda Grace, born October 1, 1876.
LUKE E. RAY, farmer, Section 11, P. O. Clinton, was born in Cabell County, W. Va., February 2, 1814, where he grew to manhood. In 1818, he moved to Cole County, Mo., where he engaged in the mercantile business for nine years, and then removed to Preston, Jasper Co., Mo., and remained four years, when the rebels took possession of his storehouse and robbed him of all he had. He then came to Kansas and settled in Clinton Township, on a farm which he owns, of 160 acres, which he has improved. Mr. Ray was married in West Virginia April 12, 1838, to Miss Marietta Drown, daughter of Benjamin Drown, Esq. To them have been born eleven children - Eliza A., Paralee R., Sarah F., Henry B., George W., Henry S. G., Marcelmus B., Luke E., Bernard B., Florence R. and U. S. Grant. He has been a Methodist from early boyhood.
JAMES C. RICHARDSON & BROS., farmers, Section 13, P. O. Belvoir, were born in Tennessee, and raised on a farm. They are the sons of Booker F. Richardson and Susanna Robinson, who descended from James Richardson and Nancy French, on their father's side and Charles Robinson and Susanna Cunnyham, on their mother's side. James C. Richardson was born January 12, 1825; he came to Kansas in 1854, from Middle Tennessee, near Nashville, and settled in Clinton Township in 1857. He owns 180 acres, principally improved. He is a member of the Methodist Church. He has never been married.
THADDEUS B. RICHARDSON, was born May 21, 1832, in Davidson County, Tenn.; he came to Kansas in 1857, and settled in Clinton Township; he was married in Clinton Township July 5, 1866, to Miss Martha F. Brown; they are members of the Baptist Church; they own 120 acres of improved land; they have four children - Mary Adeline, born April 17, 1867, in Jasper County, Mo.; Susan Ann, born October 27, 1868, in Douglas County, Kan.; Mintta Jane, born December 23, 1870, in Douglas County, Kan.; Thaddeus Christopher, born October 20, 1873, in Douglas County, Kan. Martha F. Brown was born October 30, 1817, in Knox County, Tenn.; she was a daughter of Thomas Lee Brown and Adeline Carson, who descended from Thomas Lee Brown and Mary Cunnygum, on her father's side, and James Carson and Drucilla Holland, on her mother's side. Her grand-parents were farmers, near Knoxville, Tenn., and were of the first settlers. T. L. Brown and family came to Kansas June 5, 1860.
CHRISTOPHER R. RICHARDSON, youngest son of Booker Richardson and Susanna Robinson, was born August 16, 1833, in Dixon County, Tenn.; emigrated to Kansas in the spring of 1857; is a member of Methodist Church South; was married in Jefferson County, Kan., March 18, 1874, by Rev. R. J. Burns, to Miss Clara Hunter, daughter of George Hunter and Martha Woods. They have two children - James Robert Richardson, born February 7, 1875, in Douglas County, Kan., and Johnnie Wesley Richardson, born in the same county February 12, 1877. Her father was born in Loudoun County, Va., and her mother in Westmoreland County, Penn.; her parents resided in Cincinnati, Ohio, until the death of her father, when they moved to Illinois, and the fall of 1865 emigrated to Kansas.
STEPHEN F. RIGGS, farmer, Section 30, P. O. Richland, born in Rockcastle County, Ky., May 16, 1810, son of John W. Riggs and Permelia Collins. He was brought up on a farm, and came to Kansas in 1856; settled in Shawnee County, but now lives in Clinton Township. In 1864, he enlisted in Company B. Ninth Regiment Kansas Cavalry, and was discharged at the close of the war in 1865. He was married in Clinton Township February 6, 1868, to Miss Martha, daughter of William B. Bedgood. They have five children - Benjamin F., born June 6, 1870; Olive L., born December 15, 1872; Louisa A., born April 21, 1875; Edith, born January 15, 1879; Mertie, born December 10, 1881.
GLOBE - (MARION).
In 1857-58, the Marion Town Company, composed of eleven persons, laid off a town site of 320 acres, and named it "Marion," in honor of Gen. Francis Marion, of Revolutionary fame. The site selected is on the high prairie, sixteen miles southwest from Lawrence, the county seat. The improvements made by the town company were few - a town well was dug, a blacksmith shop erected, a store opened by D. Hubbard, and a few dwelling houses built. Prior to 1860, a post office was established, D. Hubbard and J. Howard being among the list of first Postmasters. The existence of Marion as a town, dates to 1865, when the Union Pacific Railway was built, which stopped the overland traffic on the old Santa Fe trail. A local historian states that as a remembrance of the "old times," the "greasers" filled up the public well with stones, burned the surveyor's stakes, and damaged the place as a town generally.
September 13, 1881, the name of the post office was changed to its present appellation - Globe.