|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - PALMYRA TOWNSHIP (JACOT - WILLETT).
AUGUST C. JACOT, farmer, Section 1, P. O. Media, was born in France, September 14, 1831, son of Charles Jacot and Mary E. L'Alman; came to the United States in 1844, settled in New York and engaged in the jewelry business, and in 1857 came to Kansas and settled in Palmyra Township; but soon after moved to Leavenworth and went into the confectionery business. In 1871, he moved to Willow Springs Township, where he now resides on his farm of 120 acres. He has forty acres in choice fruits, to which he devotes the most of his time. Mr. Jacot is an enthusiastic fruit man, and enters on his work with zeal and intelligence. He has erected a fine cider mill and house on his farm. He has made the study of fruit a specialty. Mr. Jacot was married in Baldwin City, Kan., January 28, 1860, to Mrs. Mary E., widow of Henry Stevenin, and daughter of Andrew Labarriere. He has no children, except two step-children - Martin and Selina, both married.
HENRY C. JAY, farmer, Section 29, P. O. Baldwin, born in Miami County, Ohio, July 27, 1839; moved to Miami County, Ind., where fourteen years of age, and there resided until he came to Kansas in 1876, and settled in Palmyra Township. He owns 160 acres improved. He enlisted April 19, 1861, in Company B, Thirteenth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry; participated in the following engagements; Rich Mountain, Winchester, Cross Keys, Greenbrier, Port Republic, Linchburg, Perryville, Fishers Hill, Cedar Creek where he was taken prisoner and sent to Salisbury, N. C., paroled February 22, 1865. October 9, 1862, was transferred to the Fifth Regiment United States Light Artillery. He served his term, and re-enlisted for three years; served full time to the rank of First Sergeant, and was honorably discharged February 28, 1867. He was married in Miami County, Ind., October 7, 1868, to Miss Eliza J., daughter of Jackson P. Bolton. They have four children - Ella, Thomas B., Charles E. and Alice. Mr. J. is a member of Palmyra Lodge, No. 23, A., F. & A. M., and of Post No. 40, G. A. R.
OLIVER JOHNSON, proprietor of Johnson House, Baldwin City. This house was completed in 1882. It is a frame building, two stories in height, with two fronts of forty-eight feet respectively, one wing twenty-four feet deep, and another sixteen feet deep, containing eighteen rooms in all, with cellar 48x24 feet less the wall. Oliver Johnson was born in Orange, Franklin Co., Mass., January 18, 1817. He left home in 1840, having been previously engaged in general occupations. In 1842, he located in Clarksfield, Ohio, in Huron County, where he engaged in farming, blacksmithing and harness making, the latter being his business exclusively the last two or three years previous to 1856, in which year he moved to Kansas. He arrived in Lawrence April 18, and the following Sunday moved into Palmyra Township, and settled on a claim that had been made by his brother-in-law, C. W. Dow, Mr. Dow having been murdered in 1855, by Coleman, one of the border ruffians. Mr. Johnson improved the place and turned it over to Mr. Dow, Sr., in the fall of 1858. Mr. Johnson remained on the farm until September, 1858, when he built a residence in Palmyra, and engaged in farming principally. From 1861 to 1873, his house being on the Santa Fe trail, he opened it as a hotel and run it during these years. Still operates his farm. During the early troubles, he took an active part in the defense of the Territory; he was connected with Capt. Dexter's company, taking part in the attack on Fort Saunders and Fort Titus, and also participated in the pursuit of Quantrill in 1863. Mr. Johnson was married in Huron County, Ohio, February 11, 1855, to Miss Mary D. Dow, of Huron County. Mrs. Johnson was a sister of C. W. Dow, who was murdered by Coleman, and of D. H. Dow killed during the rebellion in Company F, First Kansas Regiment. Mr. and Mrs. J. have five children - Mary R., now Mrs. McKinny; Charles A., George E., Franklin B. and Daniel W.
THOMAS M. JONES, farmer, Section 14, P. O. Vinland, born in Casey County, Ky., November 8, 1823, son of Thomas E. Jones and Elizabeth Fuches, where he grew to manhood; was educated in the common school; engaged in farming, and came to Kansas in 1865. He settled on a farm, containing 260 acres in Palmyra Township, which he owns and has improved; good buildings, well stocked, etc. Mr. Jones has been twice married in Pulaski County, Ky., July 27, 1842, to Miss Tabitha, daughter of Samuel Kelley and Nancy Kennedy. Mrs. J. died August 16, 1850. He was again married November 27, 1855, to Elizabeth, daughter of Langdon Newell and Margaret Nichols. He has eleven children - Mary, born August 13, 1843; Parmelia, January 3, 1846; Clinton K., November 22, 1847; Nancy E., October 2, 1848; Margaret J., September 13, 1851; Harden C., December 17, 1852; Thomas L., July 26, 1855; Evangeline, January 8, 1858; Louisa, born February 10, 1860, died September 23, 1863; George B., born February 8, 1862; and Aden W., February 17, 1864. Mr. Jones is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Vinland.
W. W. JUNKUNS, farmer, Section 21, P. O. Baldwin City, born in Carroll County, Ohio, April 30, 1835; moved with his parents to Parke County, Ind., in 1849, and there remained until 1859, when he came to this State and settled on a farm in Palmyra Township, where he still resides. Owns 160 acres, nearly all under cultivation. Mr. J. has been twice married. In Parke County, Ind., August 8, 1855, to Miss Nancy VanCamp; again in Carthage, Mo., February 28, 1878, to Miss Frances E., daughter of Marion Shultz. He has the following children - Clarinda J., John W., Emma M., Lillie E. and Frank M. He has lost two children by death - Alice, died May 25, 1876, and Maggie E., died March 10, 1877. Mr. J. is a member of Palmyra Lodge, No. 23, A., F. & A. M., and also of Baldwin City Lodge, No. 31, I. O. O. F.
DAVID KERNS, farmer, Section 10, P. O. Baldwin City, born in Columbiana County, Ohio, July 19, 1821, son of John Kerns and Elizabeth Zuver. When eight years of age, he moved into Wayne County, Ohio, where he lived thirty years. He came to Kansas in 1859, settled in Palmyra Township. Owns 410 acres, improved and well stocked. Built a house in 1859, at a cost of $1,500; built barn in 1868, cost $1,100. He was married in Wayne County, Ohio, June 12, 1842, to Miss Susanna, daughter of Henry Zuver and Margaret Snyder. Their children are - Sarah A., born June 17, 1843; Martha E., May 28, 1845; John H., January 7, 1847; Elmer Y., May 22, 1848; Andrew F., April 28, 1855; Elizabeth C., October 14, 1852; Jemima C., October 16, 1856; William D., April 14, 1859. Jemima C. died May 15, 1858. Mr. and Mrs. Kerns are members of the United Brethren Church, Black Jack, Kan.
HENRY LANDON, farmer, Section 11, P. O. Vinland, born in Salisbury, Conn., August 12, 1824, son of Milo Landon and Eleanor Doolittle. Came to Kansas in 1856, and settled in Blue Mound, but now lives in Palmyra Township, where he owns a quarter-section improved, good building. Is an active Free-State man. He was united in marriage in North Easton, N. Y., January 18, 1852, to Mrs. Lola M., widow of Job Spencer, and daughter of Abner Cummings and Phebe Curry. The children are Herbert J., born October 5, 1856; William L., born December 9, 1866; step-son, Charles Spencer, born December 30, 1848. Mr. L. is a member of Vinland Grange, No. 163.
SAMUEL C. MARSHALL, farmer, Section 5, P. O. Media, was born in Lancaster County, Penn., March 21, 1827, where he grew to manhood, and was engaged as a carpenter and joiner. Is a son of Abram Marshall and Martha Neal. He came to Kansas in 1856 and settled in Douglas County. He owns a farm of forty acres, works that, and is also engaged at his trade. Mr. Marshall has been twice married. He was united in marriage at Chestnut Level, Penn., January 18, 1849, to Miss Mary R., daughter of Dr. William Johnston. She died in 1859. He was again married in Palmyra Township, Kan., January 16, 1862, to Miss Adaline, daughter of Mechlin G. Lobingier, and Eliza J. Clark. He has the following children - William N., born June 30, 1850; Martha E., born May 8, 1853; Charles J., born February 18, 1856; Obediah Theodore, born January 21, 1858; Elizabeth J., born November 8, 1862; Abram M., born August 26, 1864; Samuel C., born June 21, 1867; Mary L., born December 22, 1869; Cecil L. Born March 1, 1872; Herbert L., born March 18, 1875, and Fred V., born October 22, 1878.
GEORGE MILLER, farmer, Section 5, P. O. Media, born in St. Lawrence County, N. Y., December 28, 1832. Son of Enos Miller and Desaney Vilheux, of French extraction. In early childhood moved with his parents to Canada, where he grew up, receiving a fair education. He came to the State in 1858, and settled in Lecompton, and three years later moved to Palmyra Township, where he owns a farm containing 250 acres, well improved and stocked, etc. Mr. M. was married in Lecompton, Kan., February 22, 1859, to Miss Margaret, daughter of Robert Lowery and Julia A. Granville. They have six children, viz.: Adela, born January 23, 1860; Lucy, August 13, 1861; Julia D., June 16, 1865; Robert A., September 17, 1874; Elmer, July 7, 1878, and George, May 28, 1881. Mr. Miller is a member of Baldwin City Loge, No. 23, A., F. & A. M., and of Palmyra Lodge, No. 31, I. O. O. F.
GEORGE MORTON, farmer, Section 9, P. O. Vinland, was born in New York, January 2, 1830, son of Chester and Anna Morton. He came to Kansas in 1859, and settled in Palmyra Township. He owns 126 acres of improved land, fine buildings, large orchard, etc. He enlisted September 10, 1862, in Company H, Second Regiment Kansas Volunteer Cavalry and was in the following engagements: Fort Wayne, Prairie Grove, Fort Smith, Cabin Creek, Camden, and a number of skirmishes. He was discharged June 22, 1865. He was married in Elizabeth, Ill., May 17, 1857, to Agnes, daughter of Thomas and Mary Treganowan. They have the following children: George F., born August 3, 1862; Gilbert C., May 29, 1866; Arthur I., January 18, 1870, and Alfred J., November 20, 1873.
NOTT & KIDDER, wagon-makers, blacksmiths, contractors and builders, Baldwin City. Business established in 1876, by Mr. N. The present firm was organized in 1882. They employe four men constantly, the force in the building season being increased to ten or eleven. George Nott, senior member of the firm, was born in Syracuse, N. Y., February 7, 1842. He was educated in that city, and learned the trade of wheelwright. In the spring of 1861, he moved to Minnesota. September 25, of the same year, he enlisted at Fort Snelling, in Company A, Third Regiment Minnesota Volunteer Infantry. Remained with the regiment about one year, when he was discharged on account of disability. He returned to New York. In 1873, moved to Kansas, and in July settled in Ottawa, Franklin County, where he remained until he moved to Baldwin City, in 1876. He was married in Syracuse, N. Y., August 31, 1862, to Miss Julia Dear, of that city. They have two children - George, Jr., and Emma. Mr. Nott is a member of the City Council, of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and I. O. O. F. and A., F. & A. M., also of Col. Baker Post, No. 40, G. A. R.
R. H. PEARSON, farmer, Section 12, Township 15, Range 20, P. O. Baldwin City, settled on his present place in 1860; is operating 240 acres of land, devoted to grain and stock, also to fruit raising, having an apple orchard of over 600 bearing trees, besides pears and other fruits, to which he has devoted considerable attention. He was born in England April 1, 1828, and removed with his father in 1832 to Allegheny City, Penn., at that time know as the town of Allegheny. There he received his education. After spending five years in the employ of the cotton factories there (Allegheny at that time containing five of them), he learned the trade of coach body-builder, which occupation he followed for about six years. In 1851, he went to California by the way of the Isthmus of Panama, and returned by the same route in the spring of 1854. He was engaged out there in mining and other operations. After a short visit to the old home in Allegheny City, he took a boat at Pittsburgh for St. Louis, Mo.; from there by boat to St. Joseph, and from there to Weston, Mo., at which place he, with others, waited for information from Fort Leavenworth of the ratification of the Kansas-Nebraska bill then pending in Congress, his object being to locate on a claim in the then Territory of Kansas. So., in the month of May, 1854, only a few days before the passage by Congress of the act to organize the Territory of Kansas, he, in company with Jenkins (who was afterward shot in an altercation with James H. Lane), Joel K. Goodin, Henry Barricklaw, Sr., and a Mr. Martin, left Wesport, Mo., to hunt for claims, etc. After looking through the Territory for several days, Mr. Pearsons finally located upon a claim now owned by Messrs. William Priestly and C. B. Becks, and situated immediately north of Baldwin City. Here he found Kibbe a few days in advance of him. He had moved from Iowa with his family, and had selected a claim and located upon it. Mr. Pearson being a young man and single then, he made his home with Kibbe until the following September. About this time, Kibbe became notorious in Kansas history as an active Free-State man and for the killing of Davis, and curiously enough he incidentally procured from Mr. Pearson the cap for the pistol which fired the fatal shot. After the shooting was done, Kibbe was arrested and tried before Judge Elmore at the Johnson Mission farm near Westport. The Judge holding that the case was not a baleable one, he was sent to Leavenworth to jail. A short time afterward, he was taken out and had a hearing before Judge Lecompte, who also held his court at the Johnson Mission farm. He was released upon bonds to appear before Judge Elmore at Tecumsch, Elisur Hill and Peter Baysinger, of Prairie City, Kan., being his bondsmen. Kibbe appeared at the proper time for trial, but, owing to the absence of the Judge, he was never brought to trial. The bondsmen were released, and two days afterward Kibbe left the country. During these border ruffian trials, Mr. Pearson took an active part in the ranks of the Free-State party. He was connected with Capt. Shore's and Capt. Dexter's company, and took part in the battles of Franklin and Black Jack, the defense of Lawrence, etc. The first claim taken by Mr. Pearson in May, 1854, was found, when the Shawnee Indian Reservation lines were run, to be within the limits of said reservation. So he abandoned it and took another one not far from it, outside of the reservation, which he occupied until the spring of 1860, and is at present owned by Messrs. Beeks and Priestly, as above stated. In the same year, he bought the place he now occupies, which is located on the old Santa Fe road, between Black Jack and Baldwin City, and where he has resided ever since. During the late rebellion he was connected with the Missouri State militia under Col. Nugent, and took part in the pursuits of Quantrill and Gen. Price. Whether under the leadership of John Brown and James H. Lane, or under the leadership of the officers in the late war, he always aimed to do his duty as a soldier. He was married in Palmyra Township, Douglas County, in 1855, to Miss Catharine Baysinger, daughter of Peter Baysinger, one of the pioneers. They have nine children - William F., George, Ann, Sigel, Edward, Fanny, Lizzie, Nettie and Fred. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., having passed all the chairs, and is also a member of the Grange. Kibbe was the first actual settler in Douglas County, and Mr. Pearson claims to be the second. Since Kibbe's departure he has remained the oldest resident settler of the county of Douglas.
WILLIAM PLASKET, nurseryman and farmer, P. O. Baldwin City. His farm of seventy-five acres is located on Section 32; of this, twenty-five acres are in fruit, his apple crop of 1882 aggregating 2,000 bushels. His nursery stock is in the suburbs of Baldwin City, consisting of large and small fruits, shrubbery, etc. The business was established in 1869. Mr. Plasket was born in Clark County, Ind., April 10, 1824. His father had a large woodyard and also baled hay, which he sent to New Orleans on flat boats. The subject of our sketch moved to Iowa in 1856, where he engaged in farming in Linn County, and also in hotel keeping for a time in Mount Vernon. In 1869, he moved to Kansas bringing with him a stock of hedge plants, etc., a business he had been engaged in in Iowa City some time previously. Mr. Plasket was married in Bethlehem, Ind., May 29, 1845, to Miss Martha Rogers. They have six children - Robert, Emma, John, Elmer, Mattie and Maggie.
H. W. REED, D. D., President of the Board of Trustees of Baker University, Baldwin City, was born in Hillsdale, N. Y., May 7, 1813. He was converted and joined the church in 1824; he was educated in his native town, and the honorary degree of D. D. was conferred by the Cornell College of Mt. Vernon, Iowa, an institution he was Trustee of for seventeen years. He joined the New York Conference in 1833, and was ordained Deacon by Bishop Emery at Brooklyn, N. Y., in 1835, and was transferred to Illinois Conference. He was ordained Elder in 1837 by Bishop Roberts at Rushville, Ill., and labored for several years engaged in district work in the northwest part of the Conference; about 1839, was sent as missionary to the Oneida Indians at Green Bay, Wis. About 1841, he was appointed Presiding Elder of Platteville, Wisconsin district, extending from the Mississippi River to Green Bay, embracing all that settled part of Wisconsin. In the fall of 1843, he took charge of the Dubuque, Iowa, district, embracing all the northern part of that State, and with short intermission was Presiding Elder of this district until 1862. He was then appointed agent of the Blackfoot Indians, and Commissioner to treat with the same. Was afterward engaged several seasons in traveling with the Sioux and Chippewa Indians, visiting in these missions, the head-waters of the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers. About 1867, was again appointed Presiding Elder of the Dubuque district. In 1873, was commissioned as agent of the Bannock and Snake Indians in Idaho, running two years. He then settled in Baldwin City. Dr. Reed married in Prattsville, N. Y., in 1835, Miss Cornelia Bayley, of that place. They have seven children living - Charles A. (of Dubuque, Iowa), Helen M. (now Mrs. A. K. Johnson, of Lawrence, Kan.), Carrie (wife of Rev. F. Scherrington), Minnie (now Mrs. Charles Hogan), William H., Frank and Addie.
THOMAS SAMMER, farmer, P. O. Media, was born in Lyons, N. Y., September 8, 1834, where he spent his childhood days. He then left his parents and went to Wisconsin, and remained there until 1857. He then settled in Ottumwa, Coffey Co., Kan., and remained there till the 1st day of October, 1861, which day he enlisted in Company G, Fifth Regiment of Kansas Volunteer Cavalry, and scouted most of the time; he had a horse shot from under him; in a few days he had a gun shot to pieces in his hands. April 2, he received a gunshot wound in the eye; he then remained in the hospital until fall; then was discharged November 19, 1863. He was married, May 31, 1865, to Miss Celidia C. Marty, who died February 15, 1877. He has two sons - Edward S. and George E.
REV. A. G. SAWIN, farmer, Section 19, P. O. Media, born in Ripley, N. Y., December 23, 1852, son of Ethan Sawin and Lucina Remington; educated at Spring Prairie, Wis., and Ripley, N. Y., and for a time studied law in the office of Fish & Perkins, but relinquished it on account of ill health. He came to Kansas in 1872, and commenced farming, but his labors were not entirely confined to the farm. He was called to the pastorate of the Prairie City Baptist Church, and ordained its pastor December 27, 1880, and has since faithfully served this church, as also the Gardner Baptist Church, with acceptance. Mr. Sawin was married in Lyons, Wis., January 8, 1873, to Miss Amanda M., daughter of Samuel Erdley, Esq. They have three children - Florence A., Nettie R. and Delia M.
EDWIN R. SNYDER, Professor of Instrumental and Vocal Music, Baker University, Baldwin City, was born in Brookville, Franklin Co., Ind., February 18, 1852; received his education in the graded and high schools of his native State; commenced his professional studies at home, under private tuition, and afterward attended at the Madison Musical Academy, at Madison, Ind., and afterward taught music three years at Madison - the last two at the Madison Musical Academy. In October, 1874, removed to Jeffersonville, and taught music in that place, and in Louisville, Ky., until August, 1877, at which time he went to Moore's Hill and took charge of the musical department in the college, after which he spent one year between Madison and Charlestown, Ind., and in the fall of 1879 he moved to Baldwin City, Kan., to take his present charge. Prof. Snyder was married in Greenburg, Ind., August, 1882, to Miss Mollie Daily, daughter of a prominent merchant of that place. The Professor is a member of the Mendelsohn Singing Club of Jeffersonville, Ind., and of the I. O. O. F. and A. O. U. W. of Baldwin City.
SAMUEL SPENCE, farmer, Section 32, P. O. Baldwin City, was born in Franklin County, Tenn., December 4, 1833, son of Daniel Spence and Mary Pewett. His father moved with him to Jasper County, Mo., when Samuel was three years old; there he grew up, receiving such education as the common schools afforded; he was married in Jasper County, Mo., October 16, 1860, to Miss Sarah E., daughter of Daniel Bryant and Rachel Key. He came to Kansas in 1862, and settled in Palmyra Township. He owns 220 acres, well-improved. They have four children - William D., born September 1, 1861; Nellie C., July 7, 1864; Samuel A., May 25, 1866; Myra B., June 17, 1869. Mr. and Mrs. Spence are members of the Baldwin City Methodist Episcopal Church.
JOHN S. SPERAW, farmer, Section 19, P. O. Holling, born in Lancaster County, Penn, April 26, 1833, son of William Speron and Magdalena Seigle. When a child, his parents moved with him to Franklin County, Penn., and there remained until he was seventeen years of age, and then moved to Ashland County, Ohio, where he remained five years, and then moved to Rockford, Ill., where he also remained five years, and in 1860 came to Kansas, and settled on the farm where he now resides, in Palmyra Township. Mr. S. was educated in the common school. He was united in marriage in Rockford, Ill., November 17, 1858, to Miss Lydia, daughter of John Long, Esq.; they have four children, viz.: Alice, Irwin, Rolla and Mary. Mr. Speraw is a member of Baldwin City Lodge, No. 31, I. O. O. F. and a Past Grand.
DANIEL STREETER, farmer, Section 1, P. O. Vinland, born in Germany March 12, 1826, son of John and Mary Streeter; came to United States in 1840; settled in Michigan, near Adrain, where he continued to reside until 1856, when he came to Kansas, and settled in Douglas County; he owns 120 acres in Palmyra Township, and now makes that his home. He was active as a Free-State man during the border troubles, but the greatest loss suffered by him was the impairment of his health, by exposure. He was united in marriage in Washtenaw County, Mich., February 24, 1851, to Miss Ellen E., daughter of Elijah P. Newton; they have the following children: Charles, born April 18, 1854; Emily T., February 12, 1852; Ella F., October 10, 1855; Edith G., October 7, 1875. Mr. Streeter is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Chnrch (sic) of Vinland.
REV. W. H. SWEET, A. M., President of Baker University, and Professor of Mental and Moral Science, Baldwin City, was born in Brown County, Ohio, July 14, 1843. He received his early education in the common schools, and afterward entered Goshen Academy and the National Normal School; then engaged in teaching for a time. In 1868, he entered the Ohio Wesleyan University, at Delaware, Ohio, taking a full course, and graduating in 1872, with the degree of A. B., the A. M. being conferred by his Alma Mater in 1875. He joined the Kansas Conference at Ottawa, in 1873; was ordained Deacon by Bishop Merril, at Manhattan, in 1875, and Elder by Bishop Simpson, at Holton in 1877. In the fall of 1872, he took the chair of Mathematics in Baker University. In the spring of 1873, he was appointed pastor at Centralia, Nemaha Co., Kan., returning to his chair in the university in the fall, which he retained until 1877; was then appointed by the conference to the charge of Holton, Kan., but resigned to take charge of the university in September, 1879. He was married in Delaware County, Ohio, September 7, 1875, to Miss Rose A. Williams, a graduate of the Ohio Wesleyan Female College, class of 1871. They have four children - Bertha, Paul W., Ralph W. and an infant.
F. THOMPSON, physician and surgeon, Baldwin City, was born in Franklin County, Mass., February 6, 1826. His parents removed to Ohio about 1836. He began his professional studies in 1847, under Dr. B. Rawson, at Findlay, Ohio. He graduated from the Western Reserve Medical College at Cleveland, Ohio, in 1858. He afterward settled in Lyons, Iowa, where he engaged in the practice until he moved to Kansas in 1868. He first located in Leavenworth, and practice there until 1871; then moved to Baxter Springs where he practiced until 1876; then settled in Baldwin City, where he has since remained, engaged in the practice of his profession. He was married in Putnam County, Ohio, August 12, 1849, to Miss Elizabeth T. Miles, of Wayne County, Ohio, who died August 7, 1862, leaving two children - Justen J. and Elizabeth A. He married Mrs. Rockafellow, his present wife, at Lyons, Iowa, March 5, 1863. They have two children - Freeman P. and Oscar E. The Doctor has been a member of the M. E. Church since 1839. He is a member of the Kansas State Medical Society and is a Royal Arch Mason.
CAPT. L. H. TUTTLE, farmer, Section 15, P. O. Baldwin City, was born in Clark County, Ind., December 13, 1835, son of Lewis Tuttle and Mary A. Willey. He enlisted August 14, 1862, in Company B, Eighty-first Regiment Indiana Infantry, and was promoted to Captain. He was in the following engagements: Perryville, Stone River, Liberty Gap, Chickamauga, Tunnel Hill, Rocky Face Ridge, Resaca, Adairsville, Kingston, Pine Mountains, Kenesaw Mountain, Kulp's Farm, Atlanta, Jonesboro, Lovejoy, Franklin, Nashville and Ashville. Discharged June 28, 1865. Came to Kansas in 1858, and settled in Palmyra Township. Owns 160 acres. Returned to Indiana in 1861 and again in 1865. He was married in Wakarusa, Kan., November 8, 1865, to Miss Mary J., daughter of Jacob Cantrill, who was murdered by border ruffians June 6, 1856. They have six children - Mary H., born November 22, 1866; William H., January 7, 1869; Lillian T., December 13, 1870; Myrtle Y., September 3, 1874; Florence, June 16, 1877; Leonard E., November 1, 1881. Mr. T. was Trustee of Palmyra Township during the years 1874 and 1875, and was a member of the Legislature during the session of 1875. He is a member of Baldwin City, M. E. Church and Post No. 40, G. A. R.
FRANK B. VARNUM, farmer, Section 10, P. O. Vinland, was born in Blue Hill, Me., July 23, 1836; son of Cyrus Varnum and Emma Osgood. He came to Kansas in 1856, and settled in Palmyra Township, where he owns a quarter-section; has it well improved, etc. He enlisted November 1, 1861, in Company B, Ninth Regiment Kansas Cavalry. Was discharged November 1, 1864. He was united in marriage in Palmyra Township September 14, 1865, to Miss Mattie A., daughter of Thomas Pearson and Rhoda Rogers. They have the following children: John G., born February 18, 1867, died March 8, 1867; Annie E., born March 20, 1868; Hattie E., March 10, 1870; Mattie B., February 9, 1872; Frank L., August 10, 1874; Charles E., September 6, 1876, and Sarah, June 10, 1881.
WASHINGTON WASHBURN, farmer, Section 8, was born in Brown County, Ohio, July 25, 1817, son of Joseph Washburn and Nancy Mann. Moved with his parents to Rush County, Ind., in 1821, where he grew up to manhood. Mr. Washburn has been twice married - first in Rush County, Ind., April 28, 1839, to Miss Hannah Fisher, who died near Independence, Jackson Co., Mo., November 4, 1871. She was the daughter of Jacob and Jane Fisher, of Rush County, Ind. His second marriage was to Mrs. Francis T. Kelly, widow of Joseph Kelly, February 8, 1872. She was the daughter of John and Jane Julian, all of Jackson County, Mo. Mr. W. has buried three children, viz.: Asbury, James F. and Serena Jane. Has two with him - William E., born October 15, 1843; Orange J., born August 21, 1861. Mr. W. lived near Independence, Mo., from 1868 to 1880, since which time he has resided in Palmyra Township, Douglas Co., Kan., where he owns 150 acres of land. He is a member of Baldwin City M. E. Church.
GEORGE W. WHIRLOW, farmer, Section 15, P. O. Vinland, was born in Davison County, N. C., May 28, 1830, son of John Whirlow and Sarah Long. He came to Kansas in 1863, and purchased a farm in Palmyra Township containing 110 acres, which is under cultivation. Mr. W. was married in Milford, Ind., September 5, 1856, to Miss Emeline, daughter of Solomon Alley and Catherine Gant. They have eight children - John C., born June 19, 1857; William S., born November 28, 1858; Indiana, June 21, 1860; Cassius M., April 9, 1862; Sarah I., March 26, 1864; Olive, February 23, 1866; Ulysses G., January 23, 1868; Maggie R., November 15, 1870. Mr. W. is a member of the M. E. Church of Vinland.
ISAAC J. WILKINS, farmer, Section 29, P. O. Baldwin City, was born in Ohio April 8, 1834, son of William K. Wilkins and Phoebe Ross. Grew up in Ohio, and went to California in 1854. Came to Kansas in 1857, and settled in Palmyra Township. He owns ninety acres of improved land. Engaged in farming and threshing grain. Enlisted August 21, 1862, in Company B, Twelfth Regiment Kansas Volunteer Infantry. Was in only one or two engagements and several skirmishes. He was discharged in 1865. He married in Palmyra Township July 1, 1858, Miss Catherine Barricklow. They have two children - Coda, born September 6, 1868; Edith, December 1, 1871. Mr. Wilkins is a member of Baldwin City Lodge, No. 31, I. O. O. F.
H. W. WILLETT, Postmaster, and dealer in general merchandise, Media, was appointed Postmaster at Prairie City in 1872, and to present post in 1879. The business was established in Prairie City in 1872, by H. W. Willett & Co., and moved to Media in 1879. He carries a stock of $3,500 to $4,000. H. W. Willett was born in Fulton County, Penn., August 29, 1835. He was educated in his native county, and after leaving school was engaged in teaching. In 1856, he moved to Kansas, landing in Lawrence May 23. Here he settled down and learned the carpenter's trade; continued to follow the trade until 1861. October 7, 1861, he enlisted in the Eighth Kansas Regiment. They were finally consolidated into the Ninth Cavalry, and he was made Sergeant Major of Company A. On expiration of his term of enlistment, November, 1864, he returned to Lawrence. In 1865, he took charge of the Lawrence House, and continued to operate it until 1867. He then resumed carpentering. In 1872, he moved to Prairie City, and established his present business. During the early days, he was a prominent Free-State man. Was attached to Capt. Lowe's Company and took part in the battles of Franklin, Fort Saunders and Fort Titus. He was married in Lawrence May 28, 1866, to Miss Susanna, daughter of F. W. Sparr, Esq., one of the pioneers. They have one daughter - Olive May.