|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (TRASK - WARNE).
JOSIAH CHAPIN TRASK: Among the 180 lives of martyrs sacrificed in the terrible massacre by Quantrill, at Lawrence, there were few of more promise than that of the young editor and publisher whose name heads this sketch. Josiah C. Trask was born in Warren, Mass., May 9, 1837. His parents were Rev. George Trask and Ruth Freeman Trask. His father was born in Beverly, Mass, in the year 1795. At an early age he became converted, passed through a collegiate course at Brunswick, Me.; graduated at Andover, Mass., was ordained to the ministry in 1829, and was settled in Farmingham, Warren and Fitchburg, Mass. During the early part of his life, he formed the habit of using tobacco. After years of indulgence, his health became very much impaired, and obeying the advice of a physician, he renounced its use, and his experience so impressed him that he began to relate it publicly. In this way he commenced the anti-tobacco reform, of which he was the acknowledged leader until death closed his labors in 1875. He was a man of keen sensibilities, active in every reform, a faithful friend, and an earnest preacher of the Gospel. His death was triumphant. Although believing firmly in salvation by Jesus Christ, he had liberal views on all religious topics. The mother of Josiah Trask was born in Marlboro, Mass. She was the daughter of Rev. Asa Packard, of the Bridgewater family of Packards. Her father enlisted in the army of the Revolution, was wounded, and died at the advance age of eighty-five years. The ball wounding him was extracted after his death, and it is now in the possession of his relatives. Her mother was the daughter of Col. Josiah Quincy, of Quincy, Mass., a descendant of noble ancestry; she did honor to her birth. The mother of Josiah C. Trask was living in 1879 at the advance age of seventy-nine years. She is a remarkable woman in many respects, and co-operated fully with her husband in all his efforts to elevate humanity. Josiah C. Trask pursued an academic course at Fitchburg, Mass. He left home at the age of sixteen, going to Boston to seek employment in a printing office. As he had but $1 above his fare, he said he could not afford to have his trunk taken to the depot, so he carried it in his arms. As he was about to start, his father proposed to give him a letter of recommendation, to which he replied: "No, sir, I thank you; I'll recommend myself." After reaching Boston he went up and down the streets until he came to the Yankee Blade office. He went in, and said to the proprietor: "I don't exactly like your paper, sir, but I want to get something to do, and if you can give me anything, I will work here until I can get something better." He stayed there one week and then found work in the Recorder office, where he remained until he became connected with the New York Evangelist. His starting out in life was significant to his honesty and independence, traits which strengthened every year of his life. In the fall of 1857, he first met Miss R. T. Hibbard, of Cortland, N. Y., then attending school in the city. Their interest in each other was mutual, and in the fall of 1862, they were married by Rev. Mr. Lord. Miss Hibbard was the daughter of Joel B. And Eliza Hibbard. Left an orphan, at the age of sixteen she went to New York City to finish her education. Mr. Hibbard was a strong anti-slavery man, of large intelligence, undoubted integrity, and commanding business capacity. He died suddenly while absent from home, in Milwaukee. He was one of the founders of Cortland Academy and was deeply interested in the cause of education, and so was his amiable and intelligent wife. In February, in company with his brother, he left New York for Kansas, stopping and securing employment in the office of the Herald of Freedom He also worked at the printing business for some time at Lecompton. In 1861, Mr. Trask entered into partnership with Hovey E. Lowman, bought the Herald of Freedom and changed the name of the paper to the Kansas State Journal In 1861, Mr. Trask edited the paper in Topeka. In 1862, he was twice at Yankton, Dakota, where he published a paper. He was there during the Indian outbreak, detained at Yankton, and pressed into service for a month, when he left in November, hardly escaping from the Indians with his life. He sold his paper at Yankton, and after finishing the State printing, he went to New York to be married to Miss R. J. Hibbard, and returned with his bride to Lawrence that last of December. He was one of the delegates to the Canal Convention held in Chicago in the spring of 1863. The following July, in company with his wife, he visited Junction City, where they spent the 4th of July, Mr. Trask taking part in the public exercises of the day. At the commencement of the Agricultural College he was one of the speakers. He made many friends during his trip by his genial manner. He joined the Masons a few months before his death, and had been an Odd Fellow for several years. Though not a communicant of the Episcopal Church, he was chosen a vestryman and attended regularly. The arrangements had been completed for adding a daily issued to the Journal, and the press had arrived a few days before his death. As one of the editors of the Kansas State Journal, he had passed through the early troubles of that stricken country, and was throughout the struggle an uncompromising supporter of liberty in that Territory. Perhaps no man of his age was more intimately identified with the political life of Kansas. He held a high position for ability for his devotion to friends, his love of the principles of freedom and his social qualities. For a number of years he did a large portion of the printing of the laws of Kansas, and his imprint will be found on many of the early works of the Territory and the State. Although eminently patriotic, with a military turn of mind, he was never regularly in the United States Army, but turned out frequently for defense, and was efficient in drilling and organizing troops, being a drill-master. He was a man of fine personal appearance and address, tall, commanding, erect, conscientious in his conduct, and firm in his convictions. The death of Mr. Trask was murder under the most horrid circumstances which can be contemplated. On the morning of the Lawrence massacre, a band of men appeared at his boarding house, and demanded the surrender of the inmates, under the most solemn promise of honorable treatment as prisoners. Mr. Trask was the first to step out, when they were overpowered, and almost instantly Trask, Thorp, Griswold and Baker, were shot down. Trask and Griswold were instantly killed, Thorp mortally wounded, and Baker severely. He was left for dead but recovered. The widow of Mr. Trask still resides in Lawrence, an educated, accomplished lady, holding the position of City Librarian, universally esteemed by a large circle of friends. Mr. Trask's funeral was attended by a large concourse of citizens, and Rev. E. Davis, once his pastor, in his eloquent sermon on the occasion, alluded most feelingly to the noble character of his murdered friend, summing up his salient points and most marked traits of industry, nobleness of aim, straightforwardness, temperance, regard for freedom and unselfishness.
ULRICKSON & DRUM, dealers in stoves, tinware, gas pipe and fittings, pumps, hose and drive-wells. Their specialty is plumbing, gas and steam-fitting of all kinds and the general manufacture of brass, iron, copper and tin roofing, guttering, etc. In stoves, they control the Crown Jewel, Harvard, and other heaters, and the Universal Range, Eleycut, and other cooking stoves. The firm was organized in 1880. They carry a stock of $10,000, and employ from eight to fifteen men. P. Ulrickson was born on the Island of Ficuo, Denmark, April 7, 1845. After leaving school he served his time at the plumbing, gas and steam-fitting trade. About 1865, he immigrated to the United States, spent some time in New York, and then settled in Lawrence, Kan., where he worked at his trade. He was connected with the Lawrence Gas Company about thirteen years, during the last seven of which he held the position of Superintendent. On leaving there, he bought out their plumbing and gas-fitting stock and shortly afterward established the present business. Mr. Ulrickson was married in Lawrence, to Miss A. M. Benson, a native of Sweden. They have three children living - Charles F., Mamie and Arthur.
ISAAC N. VAN HOESEN, Vice President of Leis Chemical Manufacturing Company, was born at Kinderhook, Columbia Co., N. Y., December 25, 1841. His father moved from Hudson, N. Y., to Mount Vernon, Ohio, in 1854, and in 1856, settled in McDonough County, Ill. The subject of this sketch was engaged in studying dentistry on the breaking-out of the late war. In August, 1861, he enlisted in Capt. W. F. Baynes' company, which rendezvoused at St. Louis, and was incorporated into the Tenth Regiment Missouri Volunteer Infantry, which command was engaged in performing duty on the Missouri, Pacific & Northern Missouri Railroad, operating against guerrillas. In April, 1862, the command was sent to Cape Girardeau, thence to Pittsburg Landing. He was detailed for duty as Acting Sergeant Major in 1862; was promoted to Second Lieutenant of Company B, January 2, 1863. He was mustered out at St. Louis August 24, 1864, on the expiration of his term of enlistment. During his services he participated in the battles of Iuka, October 3 and 4, 1863, Raymond, Jackson, Champion Hills, Black River, Vicksburg, Chattanooga and Mission Ridge. After severing his connection with the army, he was engaged as agent for C. H. & L. J. McCormick, manufacturers of harvesting machines. He came to Kansas in 1866, locating at Manhattan, removed thence to Leavenworth, where he resided from 1869 to 1871. In the latter year, he settled in Lawrence and built a warehouse, where he engaged in the managing of the interest of C. H. & L. J. McCormick in the State of Kansas until 1882. Mr. Van Hoesen was elected Mayor of the city in 1878, and has been President of the Chamber of Commerce for a number of years.
GEN. SAMUEL WALKER, of Lawrence, was born October 19, 1822, near London, Franklin Co., Penn. Gen. Walker's grandfather, Samuel Walker, came to the United States from the north of Ireland previous to the war of the Revolution, and served during that war as a private soldier. His father, James Walker, served in the war of 1812 as a private soldier in a Maryland regiment, and was by occupation a farmer. His maternal grandfather, Archibald Rankin, also came from the northern part of Ireland, and also served in the Revolutionary war. His mother, previous to her marriage with James Walker, was Miss Mary Rankin. Gen. Walker, when one year old, was stricken with disease of the hip; and in consequence, was unable to attend school, and received but little education. Until fifteen years of age, he lived upon the farm, a constant sufferer from his disease, and without hope of relief. At this time, a remedy was discovered, which brought the leg to its proper length, but there still was some lameness and weakness. Unable for this reason to perform heavy manual labor, he was apprenticed to learn the cabinet-maker's trade, at which as apprentice and journeyman, he worked eleven years. In 1848, he moved to Ohio, and there began, the business of cabinet-making on his own account, continuing in it six years. In 1854, in company with Thomas W. Barber, Oliver Barber and Thomas Pierson, he went to Kansas, arriving at Westport, Mo., on the way, on the lst of May. On the 10th of May, this little party reached the present site of Lawrence, and took a view of the country from where the State University now stands. After seeing other points in the Territory, he returned to New Paris, Ohio, and in the spring of 1855, with quite a large party of emigrants, returned to Kansas. The party all settled in different parts of Kanwaka Township, Gen. Walker pitching his tent seven miles west of Lawrence, on the 12th of April. About six weeks afterward, "Sheriff" Jones, at the head of a body of 150 men, rode through the country, burned the cabins of some "d-d abolitionists" in the vicinity of Lecompton, and on his return told Gen. Walker that he would give him two weeks to get out, and that at the end of that time he was "coming up to drive all the d-----d nigger-stealers from the Territory." Gen. Walker notified the settlers all around. The next day, eighty-six men assembled at his house and organized themselves into a military company, calling it the Bloomington Guards, and choosing for it the following officers: Captain, Mr. Reed; First Lieutenant, Mr. Vermilya; Second Lieutenant, Dr. Miller; First Sergeant, Samuel Walker. In 1856, he was promoted to the Colonelcy of the Fourth Cavalry, under Maj. Gen. Robinson and Brig. Gen. Lane. He participated in all the campaigns of the Free-State men; was present at the siege of Lawrence, did a great deal of scouting service, was at the siege of Ft. Saunders, commanded at the siege of Ft. Titus August 16, 1856, when he recaptured the Abbott Howitzer, took thirty-four prisoners, including Col. Titus, and burned the fort. In March, 1856, he was elected a member of the Lower House of the Topeka Legislature; on the 16th of December, he was elected by the Legislature a Brigadier General of militia; on the 2d of February, 1858, he found in a woodpile at Lecompton the candle box, containing the returns of the elections of December 21, 1857, and January 4, 1858, under the Lecompton Constitution; on the 29th of May, of the same year, under orders from Gov. Denver to arrest the band of lawless men acting under Montgomery, he went to Ft. Scott, and arrested Montgomery, George W. Clarke and others. At the breaking-out of the civil war of 1861-65, he enlisted in the first company of the first regiment that was raised in Kansas for the defense of the Union; and on the lst of June, 1861; was mustered into the service as Captain of Company F, First Kansas Volunteer Infantry; on the 24th of May, 1862, he was promoted to be Major of the Fifth Kansas Company, serving in that capacity until the regiment was mustered out; on the 8th of October, 1864, he was made Lieutenant Colonel of the Sixteenth Kansas Company. He was the first officer to lead a command through the Black Hills, and in 1866, for gallant services against the Sioux, on Powder River, he was brevetted Brigadier General of volunteers. He was married October 20, 1842, to Miss Marian E. Lowe, daughter of Hon. James Lowe, a prominent merchant, and State Senator of Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs. Walker have nine children, four sons and five daughters, whose names in order of their birth are as follows: Elizabeth E., James L., Mary R., Harriet R., Fannie, Minnie B., Oliver B., Charles and George. Gen. Walker is a Mason and an Odd Fellow. In politics, he is a Republican, and has always acted with the Republican party. He has four times been elected Sheriff of Douglas County, and in 1872, was elected State Senator from that county. He was appointed Major General of Kansas Militia in 1866 and in 1873. An incident in the life of Gen. Walker, though out of its proper connection, may be given here, as showing upon what a slender thread life sometimes hung in those troublous times. When Gov. Shannon had proclaimed war upon the Free-State men, and was himself leading a party which was hunting them as guerrillas, Gen. Walker, on account of his influence and ability as a leader among them, was an object of special hatred on the part of the Governor. He was for a time hunted like a wild beast. On one occasion, the Governor at the head of a party of soldiers was in pursuit of Walker, who, fortunately for himself, discovered his pursuers before they discovered him, and promptly concealed himself behind a clump of bushes by the side of the road. In this position he stood with his rifle ready to fire at any moment upon the Governor, in case the latter should, in passing, discover him in his concealment. But now, fortunately for the Governor, his attention was diverted from Walker by some object on the other side of the road, as was that of Spicer and Col. Titus, who were riding ahead of the Governor. Capt. Sturges and the thirty soldiers who followed, all saw and recognized him, some smiling, some nodding and others giving the military salute, but being in sympathy with the Free-State men, passed quietly by. Had the eye of Gov. Shannon fallen upon him, the form of the Governor would have fallen to the ground a corpse, as Walker was determined to kill the Governor at least, if he himself was discovered.
JOHN C. WALTON, Chairman County Commissioners, Douglas County, was born in Indianapolis, Ind., March 8, 1842. He was educated in that city, finishing at the Western Christian University. He engaged in farming until the breaking-out of the late war. In 1861, he enlisted at Indianapolis in the Fifth Indiana Battery, Light Artillery. Was attached to this command until 1864. In that year, Mr. Walton re-enlisted, and was commissioned Lieutenant in the Sixth Indiana Battery, and served until the close of the war. Was at the battles of Stone River, Chattanooga, Chickamauga and the Atlanta campaign up to the capture of that city, then back to Nashville. At the close of the war, he returned to Indiana, and in the spring of 1866, moved to Kansas and settled in Lawrence, where he engaged in hotel business several years. Since 1869, has been engaged in operating his farms. Mr. Walton was married in Plainfield, Henderson County, Ind., in January, 1868, to Miss Deborah, daughter of Benjamin Owens, a prominent member of the Society of Friends. Mrs. Walton died in Lawrence, leaving two children - William and Frank. He was married to his present wife in Lawrence in May, 1880. She was Miss Ada Gilluli, a native of Michigan. They have one son - John C., Jr. Mr. Walton has been a member of the City Council two terms, one term attached to the School Board. Was elected County Commissioner in 1877, and has been twice re-elected.
JOHN WALTON, County Commissioner, Douglas County, Kan., was born in Washington County, Penn., December 16, 1831. His parents moved to Pittsburgh in 1844. He received his education at Greene Academy, and took a course in book-keeping in Pittsburgh. He then accepted a position in a mercantile house in that city for a time, and afterward held the position of mate on several river steamers. In 1855, he took a drove of sheep to Cole County, Ill., where he settled and remained until 1856, when he moved to Kansas, and settled near Vinland, Douglas County, where he pre-empted a claim and engaged in farming until 1861, when he enlisted in Company H, Eighth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry. Was mustered out in 1864; obtained his discharge at Ft. Leavenworth in 1865. He then resumed his farming operations. Mr. Walton was married March 25, 1867, in Douglas County, to Miss Z. A. Willey, daughter of I. W. Willey, Esq., and an old resident. They have six children - Martha M., William B., Elizabeth G., Mary E., Amy and John. Mr. Walton was appointed a member of the Board of County Commissioners in 1876, to fill a vacancy, and was elected for two years in 1877; was re-elected for three years in 1879; again elected in 1882 for three years; is, at the present time, a member of Vinland Grange.
J. T. WARNE, Vice President of the Western Farm Mortgage Company, was born in New York City July 16, 1838. His parents moved to St. Louis, Mo., in 1849. He was educated in both cities at the public schools. From 1857 to 1860, he was engaged in clerking in a hardware store in St. Louis. In the latter was appointed assignee of a large mercantile firm in that city. This business he wound up in about one year. In 1861, he removed to Springfield, Ill., where he established a hardware business, and continued to operate this until 1870. He sold out in that year and moved to Lawrence, Kan., where he established his present business. Mr. Warne was married in Jacksonville, Ill., November 10, 1864, to Miss Margaretta Gillette, of that city. They have three children - Edgar E., Mary T. and Elizabeth D. Mr. Warne is a member of Lawrence Lodge, No. 6, A., F. & A. M., Lawrence Lodge, No. 4, I. O. O. F., and of the Board of Trade. Mr. Warne owns a hardware store, which he established in 1870. He now occupies a store room 25x117 feet, carrying a stock of about $15,000, and does a business of about $30,000 annually, employing two clerks.