|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
Severance takes its name from John Severance, one of the three proprietors of the town site. It is situated upon Section 26, in Township 3, Range 19, and was laid out in 1869 by C. C. Clonch, J. Severance and Dr. Gunn. The original plat of the town, now in the office of the Register of Deeds at Troy, gives the space occupied by the town as forty acres in the northeast quarter of the section, but recent additions have practically doubled the area under city government. Although laid out as a town in 1869, Severance had no officers and has no records, prior to the incorporation as a city on April 5, 1877.
The traveler on the St. Joseph & Western Railway fails to get from any point of the road a fair idea of the town. As the train leaves the depot a momentary view of the principal street is given, but that is all. For one who can climb the gentle ascent to the south, and stand near the Methodist Church, there is spread out one of the finest views to be found, even in beautiful Kansas. Circling about the town runs Wolf River, with its thick fringe of small timber, and almost beneath one's feet lies the city with its clustered houses. North and south, east and west, run the principal streets, and upon them the closely-built business houses which speak of growth and prosperity.
Upon the creation of the city a full corps of city officials was inaugurated, W. H. H. Curtis being elected Mayor and L. C. Nelson, City Clerk. Mayor Curtis was succeeded by John T. Kirwan, who held the office two years, by Charles E. Miller, a second time by John T. Kirwan, and was re-elected in 1882. The line of succession in the City Clerk's office has been as follows: L. C. Nelson, 1877; G. T. Dooley, 1878; J. H. Ward, 1879; Charles T. Clark, 1880 and 1881, up to the time of his death by drowning in September of that year; H. C. Moll, 1881; F. J. Aigler, 1882. The first meeting of the City Council bears the date of April 15, 1877.
A postoffice was established in 1869, soon after the laying out of the town and A. Gunn appointed postmaster. Since Mr. Gunn, A. S. Campbell, Nathan L. Springer and N. A. Springer, the present official, have been successively appointed.
The first physician to locate in Severance was D. J. Grandstaff, of Virginia, who came in 1872. He was followed by Dr. Bell. S. L. Ryan was the first attorney, coming to the town as station agent, and completing his studies at this place. The next of the profession was Charles Clark, who was drowned in September, 1881. W. H. H. Curtis opened the first lumber yard in 1871 and an agricultural implement depot at the same time. The same year L. C. Nelson opened a hardware store and John Toner a harness shop. Prior to any of these were the general stores of A. Gunn and Thomas McGee, the former being the first store of any sort in the town. The first grain dealer was Adam Brenner, who was soon followed by William Ward. The first drug store was opened by J. A. Campbell& Co. in the building now used as a boarding house by Mrs. Nelson. The first tin shop was opened in 1874 by M. E. Holmes; the first shoe shop by Winchester Bell, and the first saloon (in 1869) by J. J. Glass.
The first schoolhouse in use in the town was built in 1871 at a cost of $1,200. It was a plain wooden structure and stood on the hill at the east of the town. In 1879 the increase in the population of the city necessitated the building of an addition about equal in size to the original house. This was done at a cost of about $1,300. Already the combined building is too small, and measures are being taken for erecting an adequate house.
The first teacher of the school was D. J. Mawherter. Those of successive years were: Miss Georgie Scott, 1872; Miss Melissa McGee, 1873: Prof. James B. Mason, 1874; D. J. Mawherter, 1875; D. L. Carpenter, 1876; Wesley Trevett, 1877; Miss Emma Plank, 1878; Miss Lou. Clouch, 1879; D. L. Carpenter and Miss Georgie Scott, 1880; T. B. Marshall and Miss Lena Lindner, 1881.
Prior to the building of a school in the town limits, Miss Laura Hearn taught at a point about a mile and one-half from town. At the close of her school an exhibition was given in town, in a store building which had been completed only as far as the roof and lacked that important feature.
CHURCHES AND SOCIETIES.
St. Benedict Catholic Church is located a few miles from Severance, and is one of the oldest in the county. It was organized 1862 by Father Thomas Barti of the Benedictine Fathers at Atchison. A church building was at once begun, and was completed in 1865. It is of stone, and 70 x 36 feet. A fair estimate of its cost can hardly be given, as much of the work of construction was performed by various members. Up to 1868 the service of the church was performed by the parent institution at Atchison. Two years after the completion of the church an appropriate parsonage was finished. The church now numbers upward of 350 communicants, and is entirely free from debt. In March. 1880, the parsonage was made a priory by the authority of the abbott of St. Benedict College, and is now occupied by a number of priests and brothers of the order. The land upon which the church and other buildings are located, with half a section more, is the property of the college at Atchison.
The Methodist Episcopal Church of Severance was organized on January 25, 1871, by Rev. W. K. Marshall, Presiding Elder of the Conference. Its original members were: J. Archer, E. Archer, John Archer, W. H. Archer, Hannah J. Archer, W. S. Wells, Rosanna Johnson, Henry Johnson and Simeon Chenoweth. The first pastor of the society was Rev. G. W. Wood, who came in 1875. A church edifice, 36 x 48 feet, was erected in 1874 at a cost of $2,700. A parsonage was also built at a cost of about $1,000. The society now has thirty members. A Sabbath-school, numbering fifty scholars, was started in 1873 under the superintendence of H. C. Holmes. It now numbers over eighty, and is in charge of Mrs. C. A. Reppey.
The Catholics have begun the erection of a church near the city park. This structure will be 30 x 50 feet, and cost $2,000. When completed it will be under the guidance of Father Pirmine M. Kowmly, now of St. Benedict Church.
King Lodge, No. 144, I. O. O. F., was organized on September 17th, 1877, with the following charter members. (sic) S. A. Campbell, R. P. Shulsky, G. F. Dooley, W. B. Hargis, Joel Ryan, Jr., A. E. Cyphers, A S. Campbell. The first officers of the lodge were as follows. (sic) J. A. Campbell, N. G.; B. Hargis, V. G.; A. S. Campbell, R. S.; G. F. Dooley, P. S.; A. E. Cyphers, treasurer. The lodge was regularly incorporated under the State law on June 15th, 1880, and the following members appointed trustees: J. A. Campbell, R. P. Shulsky, John Hagg, R. Kauffman, and A. J. Mowry. The present membership of the lodge is 51. Meetings are held each Tuesday evening in Rippey's Hall. The property of the society consists of nearly $600 in cash at interest, and fixtures and regalia to the value of $200. An effort is being made to secure a hall entirely their own, the lodge offering to build the upper story of building of a sufficient size. The present officers of the society are - A. B. Ford, N. G.; S. I. Newton, V. G.; A. J. Mowry, secretary; J. A. Campbell, treasurer.
The Severance Public Library Association was started in 1881, but no books were purchased until the winter of 1882, the intervening time being devoted to the collection of funds by subscription, and by fairs and festivals. The association has now about $185 invested in books, which number about 150 volumes, embracing history, travels, and standard novels. The library room is a small building near the drug-store of Dr. Campbell. Membership tickets are sold at an annual fee of $2.
The City Park. - In 1877 the city purchased of W. D. Rippey five acres of land lying on the crest of the hill southeast of the Methodist Church. The land was at once broken and fenced, and trees planted all through it. These trees are arranged in circles from the center of the park, and have already attained a good growth. W. H. H. Curtis, the present Mayor, was largely interested in securing this park for the citizens, and deserves the thanks of those who, years hence, when the growth of the trees shall have made the park an ornament to the city, will find rest and renewed vigor here.
The Severance Mill was built upon Wolf River, in the edge of the town, in 1871-72, by T. H. Franklin, R. Small, and H. Frick. In 1875 W. H. H. Curtis purchased the interest of Mr. Small, and ran the mill until April, 1880, when he sold his interest to Franklin & Frick, who now own and operate the mill. This building is 50 x 60 feet and two stories in height, with attic and basement. Its cost was $25,000. It is supplied with three run of four foot buhr-stones and a re-grinder, or new process buhr. Power is furnished by the water of the Wolf River through two turbine wheels of 28 and 30 inches diameter. The water supply is sufficient for running full time in all but exceptionally dry seasons.
In January 1882, the Farmers' Elevator and Mill Company began the erection of an elevator at Severance. This building is 30 x 100 feet, and in the main part three stories in height. Its cost will be $10,000. Power is furnished by a fifty horse-power boiler, and a twenty-five horse-power engine. A three and one-half foot buhr-stone is used in the manufacture of kiln-dried meal, which is in great demand. The company is a regular corporation under the State law, and has the following officers: B. F. Harpster, president; W. H. Curtis, secretary; F. J. Algier, treasurer; A. D. Small, superintendent. Besides the elevator at this point, it is building others at Willis and Everest on the new extension of the Missouri Pacific railway.
Early in 1882 Snively & Moll built, just east of the railway depot, a large warehouse or elevator. This building is thirty by fifty feet, and has two wings twenty by fifty feet. The main portion is two stories in height. Its cost was not far from four thousand dollars.
In the spring of 1878 B. F. Harpster began a private banking business in the building which he still occupies, on Dryden street. This building, with its burglar-proof vault and fixtures, is valued at two thousand five hundred dollars. The large amount of grain bought at this point causes a correspondingly large banking business, but as this is not a public, but a private institution, no exhibit of assets and profits is given to the public. It is known, however, to have ample capital and to be in a thriving condition.
The Severance Hotel was built in 1879, by Severance & Gunn, who shortly sold a quarter interest in the building to C. C. Clonch in consideration of each alternate lot in the town. The first occupant of the hotel was Elder Wright. Since his time a long procession of land-lords has filed in and out of the house. Their names are: L. Smith, Sanford, Davison, Buckingham, Steele & Charter, James Woolworth, W. A. Hawkins and J. W. Geren, the present proprietor.
The town now has four general stores, one bank, two drug and one hardware store, one furniture and one boot and shoe store, one meat-market, a lumber-yard, two elevators, a grist mill, livery stable, and many lesser industries. It is represented in the professions by two lawyers, three physicians and one notary.
B. F. ANGSTAD was born in Snyder County, Pa., November 17, 1854. He is the son of David Angstad, born in Berks County, Pa., in 1805, and Lydia Ryder, born in the same State, in 1810. B. F. Angstad was educated in Seneca County, Ohio, and Elkhart, Ind. Upon completing his studies he began life as a farmer. In 1870 he moved to Kansas and settled in Severance, engaging in the general merchandise business, the firm name being Angstad & Smith. This firm is well known as being one of the best in the town. He was married in this county, February 22, 1881, to Miss Alice Zieber, a native of Seneca County, Ohio. He is a Republican in politics.
GEORGE BIRD, farmer, P. O. Severance, was born in Litchfield County, Conn., November 6, 1835. His father, James Bird, was a native of the same place, and died in Broome County, N. Y., in 1865. His mother Susan Dauchy Bird, was also a native of Connecticut, and died in Broome County, N. Y. Mr. Bird received his early schooling in Connecticut, and completed his studies in New York State, after which he learned the trade of mason. In l858 he came to Kansas and followed his trade. He enlisted in 1861 in Company C, Seventh Kansas Cavalry and served through the war, being mustered out in 1865. He went home and followed his trade. In 1868 he engaged in farming, a business which he still continues. He was married in this county November 6, 1867, to Miss Emma Davison, who was born in Tompkins County, N. Y., April 26, 1847. He has four children, Virgil, Wilber S., Effie M. and Stella I.
J. P. BITNER, farmer, P. O. Severance, was born in Westmoreland County, Pa., on June 11, 1833. He is the son of Daniel Bitner, born in the same county July 17,1804, and Rachel Ambrose Bitner, also of Westmoreland, born November 11, 1804. The subject of this sketch was educated in his native county. He came to Kansas in 1857 and settled on the place where he now resides. His occupation has always been farming. He was married on May 11,1854 to Miss Ellen L. Robb, a daughter of George W, Robb and Christine Palmer-Robb. Miss Robb was a native of Westmoreland County, and was born on June 15, 1833. Six children have been born to this family, but only two, George D. and Hattie E., are still living. George, the first child, and the second and sixth children, both named Elizabeth, and another child, named Covode, all died young. Mr. Bitner is a Republican, and has held several offices, among them those of Trustee and Constable of the city of Severance, near which he still resides.
REV. E. R. BROWN was born in Warren County, Ill., January 6, 1843. His parents were George W. Brown, born in Kentucky, May 6, 1806. and died in Nodaway County, Missouri, January 20, 1865, and Amanda F. Smith, born in Logansport, Ind., August 5, 1859, and died in Republic County, Kas., November 25, 1880. The subject of this sketch was educated in Shawnee County, Kas., and at St. Joseph, Mo., completing his education at the latter point. He entered in June, 1861, in Company F, First Nebraska Cavalry, and served through the war until honorably discharged, July 3, 1866. In 1866 he came to Kansas and entered the ministry shortly afterward, having now been a member of the Kansas Conference Methodist Episcopal Church for fourteen years. He was married at Wamego, Kas., July 4, 1873, to Miss Sudie Doyle, a daughter of James Doyle. He is the pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Severance.
J. A. CAMPBELL, druggist and pharmaceutist, was born in Lee County, Iowa, October 1, 1842. He is the son of William S. Campbell, who was born in Tennessee, December 16, 1819, and died in Henry County, Iowa, September 25, 1854; and his mother, Mary P. Campbell, was born May 24, 1813, and died in Henry County, Iowa, March 31,1851. His father and mother were married March 12, 1839. He received his education at Mount Pleasant, Iowa, and entered into the drug business at Oskaloosa, Iowa. He married Miss Bella J. Fletcher, of Oskaloosa, Iowa, June 24, 1868, who was born in Youngstown, Westmoreland Co., Pa. January 25, 1848, and died April 3, 1869, at Oskaloosa, Iowa. After her death he came West, and reached Severance, Kansas, in 1871. December 24, 1874, he was married to Miss Mary E. Scott, of Severance, Kansas, by Rev. S. M. Irvin, of Highland, Kansas. Miss Mary E. Scott was born in Youngstown, Westmoreland Co., Pa., July 27, 1850. They have had born to them three children - William T. Campbell, who was born in Severance, Kas., February 2, 1876; Blanche Campbell, who was born in Severance, Kas., August 4, 1879; and James A. Campbell, Jr., who was born in Severance, Kas., August 22, 1881; who are all still living. Mr. Campbell has been in business as a druggist and pharmaceutist, in Severance, Doniphan County, ever since 1871, and he has been very successful, and is one of the most substantial men in Severance. In 1861 Mr. Campbell enlisted in Company E, First Iowa Cavalry, and served through the war, being mustered out in March, 1866, having been in active service all the time. He was in something over thirty-six battles, and skirmishes without number. He is a member of the Masonic and Odd-Fellows Lodges, and in politics is a Republican, in which he takes an active part.
ISAAC DENTON, farmer, P. O. Severance, was born in Lincolnshire, England, August 28, 1846. He is the son of William Denton and Mary Denton, natives of England. His early life was that of a farmer boy. He came to America in 1866, and settled in Doniphan County, Kas., and is one of the leading farmers in his township. He was married in this county, December 25, 1873, to Miss Magdaline Burrell, a native of Harrison County, Ind. Born June 20, 1855. They have three children - Louis U., Cora M., and Eva C. Mr. Denton is a Republican.
G. W. DITTEMORE, farmer, P. O. Severance, is a native of Owen County, Ind., and was born December 5, 1826. Is a son of Adam Dittemore and Mary Berger, who were natives of Tennessee. G. W. was reared and educated in Owen County, following agricultural pursuits from boyhood. Came to Kansas in 1854 and pre-empted his present farm in Doniphan County, where be has since been a resident. Was married March 8, 1851, to Miss Emily Tyler, a native of Putman County, Ind. She was born February, 1833. They have by this union six children - William P., Annie, John M., James C., Adam, and LaFayette. The latter is deceased. Politically he is a Republican and is a member of the Christian Church. In 1862 he enlisted in Company A, Thirteenth Kansas Volunteer Infantry, serving until June 26, 1865.
JOHN FRYBERGER, P. O. Severance, was born in Berks County, Pa., on February 19, 1825. His father was Jacob Fryberger, who was a native of Pennsylvania, and died there in 1826. His mother was Elizabeth Althouse, also a native of Pennsylvania. He was educated in Pennsylvania and Ohio, completing his studies in the latter State. He began life as a cabinetmaker. He was married in Wayne County, Ohio, in April, 1842, to Miss Margaret A. Bonewitz, a native of Ohio, who died in Iowa in 1873. He was married a second time in Davis County, Iowa, June 6, 1875 to Miss Mary Park, a daughter of Reuel Park and Juliet Beebe Park, natives of Connecticut. Miss Park was born in Washington County, Ohio, March 11, 1840. He has twelve children - John B., George P. F. P., Wm. E., Mary A., Jacob O., Daniel O., Elbert L., Orwin E., Charles E., Emmet L., Edna B., Jesse E. He came to Kansas in 1876, and settled on his present home. He is a Democrat.
W. J. GRAY, P. O. Severance, born in Monroe County N. Y., June 4, 1823. He is the son of James Gray, a native of New York, who died in 1830, and Bridget Fowler Gray, also a native of New York. He was educated in Ashtabula, Medina and Geauga counties, Ohio. He began life as a farmer. He was married September 26, 1845, in Ashtabula County, Ohio to Harriet P. Perry, a daughter of Amos Perry and Patience Cheeney Perry, both natives of New York. Miss Perry was born in New York, in August, 1825. In 1861 he enlisted as a private in Company A, Sixth Ohio Volunteer Cavalry. In 1862 he was promoted to the Captain's rank and command of Company E, Sixth Ohio Volunteer Cavalry. In 1864 he was made a Major, and served through the war, being mustered out in 1865. He came to Kansas, and settled in this county on his present arm. He is a strong Republican in politics.
JOHN HAGG was born in Sweden, May 17, 1837. He is the son of John Larson, who was born in Sweden, and died there in 1837, and Mary Johnson Larson. After receiving his education in his native land, he came to the United State (sic) in 1867, locating in this county in 1870. He was married January 2, 1870, to Miss Mary Jones, who was born in Madison County, Ohio, May 5, 1846. Miss Jones was the daughter of Charles and Eliza Jones, of Ohio. He has had two children - Lida, who died in 1880, and Charles L. Beginning life here as a shoemaker, he has become the proprietor of a good boot and shoe business. At an early day in Severance he was elected a member of the City Council, and is now City Treasurer. He is also a member of the Masonic Order. In politics he is an adherent of the Republican party.
B. F. HARPSTER. was born in Sandusky County, Ohio, November 9, 1846. His parents Jacob Harpster and Elizabeth Harpster are still living in Sandusky County and engaged in agricultural pursuits. Mr. Harpster was educated at Bellevue, Ohio, and naturally turned his attention to the business with which his home life had familiarized him. He was married November 9, 1869, to Miss Elizabeth D. Arnold, of Seneca County, Ohio, daughter of David Arnold, of Pennsylvania. On May 22, 1877, he was married a second time, to Emma J. Brown, daughter of William and Nancy Brown, of Franklin County, Ohio, both of whom are now dead. He has only one child, Clark Harpster. In 1873 he came to Kansas, and for two years engaged in farming; from this he changed to buying and selling grain, and, in the natural sequence of events, to banking. He does now a very successful business in the latter profession, and has been compelled, through lack of time for its duties, to practically abandon grain dealing. His residence ever since he has been handling grain is Severance. He is now president of the Enterprising Farmers' Elevator and Mill E. of Severance Kansas.
FREDERICK HARPSTER, P. O. Severance; was born in Sandusky County, Ohio on June 19, 1840. He is the son of Jacob Harpster, born in Mifflin County, Pa., on February 28, 1811, and Elizabeth Mook-Harpster, also of Pennsylvania, born in April, 1814. Both parents are still living in Sandusky County, Ohio. He was educated in Summit and Seneca Counties, Ohio, and began life as a farmer. He came to Kansas in 1868, and settled in Doniphan County. He married Miss Sarah Arnold, of Flat Rock, Seneca County, Ohio, on March 25, 1860, by whom he had one child, Jacob F. On April 15, 1866, he was married a second time, the bride being Miss Mary Long, born in Clearfield County, Pa., on September 8, 1843; this lady was the daughter of Samuel Long. He has by this marriage two children, Samuel O. and Jay H. In 1875-76, he was chairman of the Board of County Commissioners. His political status is with the Democratic party.
JOHN T. KIRWAN, was born in Wexford County, Ireland, May 31, 1834; his father was James Kirwan, born in Ireland in 1808, and is now a resident of this county; his mother, Ann Sinnott Kirwan, was born in Ireland in 1810 and died in this county, February 25, 1880. He was educated in Ireland and came to America in 1855, settling in this county in 1858; he began life as a clerk in a dry goods store, and has been in the mercantile business in Severance for ten years past. He was married, May 22, 1872, to Miss Ellen Burns, who was born in Nelson County, Ky., July 23, 1852; he has had five children - Zula, Vincent J., Oliver, Osmund deceased, and Claude deceased. Mr. K. has had a large place in the politics of the county, having been County Clerk four years; Mayor of Severance, three terms. During the war of 1861-65, he was a member of Company C, Thirteenth Kansas Infantry. He is a member of the Catholic Church, and in politics he is a Republican.
CHARLES E. MILLER, lumber merchant, one of the live representative men of Northern Kansas, and one who has figured prominently in commercial circles is the subject of this sketch. He is a native of Binghamton, N. Y.; born June 7, 1841. His father, Henry, was a native of Pennsylvania, and his mother, Mary Sole, was a native of New York. The family came to Iowa, locating at Dubuque, when Charles was young; here he was reared and educated; when he reached majority he turned his attention to the lumber trade, which he has since followed; for a time he was manager of a yard at St. Joseph, Mo., and came to Kansas in 1877; he now owns lumber yards in Leona, Everest, Brown County, besides the one at Severance. August 23, 1861, he enlisted in Company L, First Iowa Cavalry, and served until 1866. when he was honorably discharged. He was married in Otsego County, N. Y., January 31, 1867, to Miss Julia Whitbeck; they have two children, Willard L. and Lulu M. Mr. Miller has served as Mayor of Severance one year, and is at present one of the councilmen.
H. C. MOLL, now an extensive grain dealer of Severance, was born in Seneca County, Ohio, on June 11, 1849. His parents were Eli Moll, born in Union County, Pa., on May 7, 1814, and now a resident of Hiawatha, Brown Co., Kan., and Elizabeth Schock Moll, born in Union County, Pa., on July 24, 1817. He was educated in Tipton, Ohio, and began life as a farmer. On January 11, 1876, he married Miss Mary Deckard, who was born in Union County, Pa., in 1853. The wedding ceremony look place at Mifflinsburg. In July, 1880, he came to Severance, where he has since been engaged in business. Mr. Moll is now a member of the City Council and of the Masonic Order, and in many ways a prominent citizen.
SAMUEL MOYER, farmer, P. O. Severance; was born in Union County, Pa., March 20, 1839. He is the son of Samuel and Eve Kline Moyer, who were natives of Pennsylvania. He was educated in Pennsylvania and Ohio, completing his studies in the latter. He began life as a farmer. In December 31, 1861, he married Miss Barbara Haaser, of Sandusky County, Ohio, who was born April 10, 1842; her father Joseph Haaser and her mother, Catherine Yost, were both natives of France. They have one child - Charles I. He came to Kansas in 1866, and settled in this county, and is favorably known as a successful farmer and stock trader. Mr. Moyer votes the Republican ticket.
NOAH RITTENHOUSE, farmer, P. O. Severance; was born in Fayette County, Ohio, December 16, 1847; his father, D. F. Rittenhouse, was also a native of Fayette County, Ohio, born January 2, 1820, and is now a resident of this township; his mother, Mary A. Merchant, was born in West Virginia, December 16, 1819, and is also a resident of this county. He was married in Severance, this county, October 27, 1870. to Cassander Ware, who was born in Grant County, Ind., March 15, 1851; her father was J. A. Ware and her mother was Rachael A. Vanhorn. Mr. Rittenhouse was educated in Tipton County, Ind., St. Joseph, Mo., and Highland University, this county. He is the fourth child of eight children. His children are: Annie M., Eva C., Arthur F., Noah A. He is a member of the Methodist Church. He settled in this county in 1865. Politically he is a Republican.
AMOS SANFORD, P. O. Severance, was born in Wayne County, N. Y., September 18, 1835. He is the son of Orren Sanford and Dortha A. Gates Sanford, both natives of New York. He was educated in Jefferson County. N. Y. He began life as a brickmaker, having worked at his trade for twelve years. He married in Coldwater, Mich., December 26, 1858, Miss Mary A. Pointer, who was born in Williams County, Ohio, December 28, 1839, a daughter of Henry Pointer and Sarah Jones Pointer, both natives of Ohio. In 1868 he came to Kansas and engaged in farming for four years. He then opened a hotel and livery stable in Severance which he pursued for ten years. He then bought a tract of land near Severance and improved a fine farm on which he now resides. Three children have been born to the family, Alice F., Addie E. (deceased), and Amos E. Mr. Sanford belongs to the Republican party.
N. L. SPRINGER, was born in Shelby County, Ind., February 24, 1832. His parents were Josiah Springer, a native of Ohio, and Julia Limpus Springer, of Indiana, who were married in Shelby County, Ind., about 1825. Mr. Springer received his education in Fayette County, Ind., and Buchanan County, Mo., completing his studies at the latter place; in 1850 he went to California and began life as a miner. He pursued this work for four years, until compelled by ill health to abandon it. He then came to this county and began anew as a farmer and stock raiser. He was married in Holt County, Mo., to Miss Letha Keeney, daughter of James and Annie Ramsey Keeney, of Hamilton County, Tenn.; this event occurred April 3, 1853. He has three children, Annie M., Nathan A., and George W. In 1874 he represented the First District of Kansas in the legislature, and from 1875 to 1879 served as Postmaster of Severance. He is a Republican.
N. A. SPRINGER, now a leading merchant of Severance, was born in this county October 12, 1854, his parents were N. L Springer, born in Shelby County, Ind., February 24, 1832, and Letha Keeney Springer, born in Knoxville, Tenn., December 4, 1834. Mr. Springer began his education in this county and completed it in Oregon, Mo., after finishing his schooling he became a clerk in a grocery store, from which position he has worked upward to his present station. He was married in Severance, October 12, 1880, to Miss Mamie Baird, born in Academia, Juniata Co., Pa., November 3, 1860. Miss Baird was the daughter of John B. Baird and Eva Yeater Baird, both born in Pennsylvania. He has one child, Gracie, and has been postmaster of Severance since 1880. In politics he is a Republican.
DR. D. B. TUTTLE, was born in Cortland County, N. Y., on October 7, 1831. He is the son of David Tuttle and Lucinda Hunter, both natives of Oneida County, N. Y. Dr. Tuttle was educated in Allegany County, passing through the public schools and a course in medicine at the same place. Upon receiving his diploma he commenced the practice of his profession, and shortly after, April 21, 1854, was married at Olean, N. Y., to Miss Azuba Tuttle. His children are Ida A., Frank W., George E., Lucinda M., Ruth T., and Etta. He was married a second time on March 12, 1874, to Miss Hattie Higgins, of Rockford, Ill., the ceremony taking place at Forbes, Mo. By his second wife he has three children,. Mary A., Corn A., and Etta. In 1874 he came to Doniphan County and located at Severance, where he has ever since resided. He is a member of the Masonic Order, and politically has always affiliated with the Republican party.