|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
JUNCTION CITY, PART 2.
THE PRESS, CHURCHES AND SOCIETIES.
The Protestant Episcopal Church was organized in December 1859, as the Parish of St. John. It is now known as the Church of the Covenant. In May, June and July of the year following, the walls of their church were erected, and the building was completed in the course of the year. This was the first church edifice erected in the city. It is a neatly-built stone building, and stands in the center of a beautiful plat of ground. The property of this church is valued at $6,000. Its present membership is thirty, and its pastor is Rev. Charles Reynolds. Although the first built church in the city, it was not consecrated until May 10, 1870.
The Presbyterian Church was organized in January, 1860, but not until 1868 did they take any steps towards building a church. In May of that year they purchased two lots fronting the southeast corner of the city park, with a view to having a building erected. In August, 1869, they resolved to build, and a committee was appointed to further the work. In May, 1870, the authorities made a contract for the building of their church, which was so far completed in December that a festival was held in it, by which the church cleared $925. In January, 1871, the building was ready for occupancy, and the first worship that took place in it was on January 29 of that year. The church was dedicated on July 14, 1872, the dedicatory sermon being preached by Rev. Dr. McCabe, of Topeka. The church is built of stone, and its style of architecture is beautiful. It is an edifice that would be a credit to any city. The property of this church is valued at $12,000. It has a membership of 181, and its pastor is Rev. A. T. Hale.
The Methodist Church.--A society of this church was organized in Junction City, in March, 1865. On the 10th day of September of the following year, the corner-stone of their church was laid, and the building was completed early in 1867. It is a very fine stone structure of neat design and good finish. It was dedicated on the 21 day of July, 1867, Rev. A. C. George, of St. Louis, preaching the dedicatory sermon. Its property is valued at $3,500. It has a membership of 100, and its pastor is Rev. J. W. Mitchell.
The Baptist Church was organized by Rev. Caleb Blood, October 20, 1865, the reverend gentleman having located in Junction City the June previous. In August, 1869, the society took steps towards the erection of a church, and in the beginning of the same year work was commenced upon the building. It was completed in the spring of the succeeding year, and was dedicated on the 5th day of June, 1870. It is a stone edifice, tastefully constructed and well finished. The property of the church is valued at $4,000. Its membership is seventy-five, and at present it is without a pastor.
The Catholic Church was organized in Junction City by Rev. Father Demotrius, in June, 1864 and in 1867 steps were taken to have a church built. The building was completed and consecrated in 1869. The church is in keeping with the taste and magnificence usually displayed by this denomination in the erection of its places of worship. It is a stone building, beautifully designed and well finished. The property of the church is valued at $8,000. It has 150 members, and its pastor is Rev. Father Carius.
The Congregational Church.--The exact date of the organization of the society of this church is not given. That it had an existence prior to January, 1868, we think is evident, because on the 4th day of that month we find that a Union Church was organized by Rev. William Todd, and in connection therewith is mentioned the fact that the Union Church became afterwards the Congregational. In the latter part of 1868, the society commenced the erection of a church building, which was completed in January, 1869, and was dedicated on March 4 of that year. The church is a small frame building, void of taste or neatness. It stands on an uninclosed (sic) lot, and time and the weather have denuded it of paint. The membership is small, numbering only twenty-five persons, which, probably, accounts for its present condition. It is located in the central portion of the town, just across the street from Centennial Hall, which makes the property quite valuable. It is valued at $3,000, and Rev. M. D. Tenny is the pastor.
The German Methodist Church has been but recently organized, but during the present year (1882) the members have erected a very neat frame church edifice. The property of this church is valued at $1,500; its membership is only twenty, and the pastor is Rev. J. L. Sternberg.
The African Methodist Church, though but lately organized, yet by zealous efforts and the liberality of the people, has been enabled to complete in 1882 a very comfortable little frame church building. Their church property is valued at $800. The membership of the church is forty, and the pastor is Rev. Robert Rector.
The Baptist Church (colored).--This organization, also, is of recent origin, but they too, completed a neat little frame church edifice in 1882. The property is valued at $800. The church has fifty members, and the pastor is Rev. George W. Brown.
The Junction City Sentinel was the first paper ever published in Junction City or Davis County. It was Democratic in politics, and B. H. Keyser was its editor. The first number appeared in June, 1858. In July, 1859, Keyser was succeeded by Samuel Medary, Jr., who changed the name of the paper to the Kansas Statesman. W. W. Herbert and William Cuddy purchased the paper in the spring of 1860, and G. W. Kingsbury and W. S. Blakely became its publishers. In September, 1861, Kingsbury, retired from the paper, and in November following the Statesman ceased to exist.
The Frontier Guide was started shortly after the demise of the Statesman by H. T. Geery, into whose hands the material of the office of the Statesman had fallen. Its publication was continued under the name of the Guide until September, 1861, when it was changed to Kansas Frontier. In November, 1861, Mr. Geery was succeeded by George E. Dummer. The office was partially destroyed by soldiers from Fort Riley on March 10, 1862, and on the 15th of the same month they utterly demolished it, and forced its editor to enlist in the Union Army.
The Junction City Union made its first appearance on the 12th of September, under the name of the Smoky Hill and Republican Union, under the editor and proprietorship of G. W. Kingsbury. It was Union in politics. W. S. Blakely and George W. Martin assumed charge of the paper on the 30th day of January, 1862, who, in turn, were succeeded by Dunlap & Russell, on November 19, 1864. The latter changed the name of the paper to the Courier, but after two issues under this name it suspended. On April 15, 1865, the paper was revived by George W. Martin, under the name of Junction City Union, which it still retains. On April 28, 1866, the publishing firm took the name of Porter & Martin. From November 1, 1866, until July 29, 1867, the paper was issued as a daily, still keeping up its weekly publication. In the meantime, on May 11, 1867, Porter retired from the paper, and on the 15th J. W. Dalaney took his place. His connection with the paper only lasted until the 18th of December of that year, when he, too, retired. G. W. Martin continued to retain the proprietorship of the paper, but on August 9, 1873, N. L. Prentiss became its editor, which position he held until March 6, 1875, when G. W. Martin and H. H. Snyder became its editors, and remained such until December, 1875, when Mr. Martin became sole editor. John E. Rastall assumed editorial charge in June, 1876, which he retained until August, 1877, and on the 15th of the following month S. S. Prouty became its editor, to whom, on October 1, 1877, the office was leased for two years. George W. Martin has been sole editor since the expiration of that lease, and has been sole proprietor since 1869. The frequent changes in the editorship, between 1872 and 1880, was owing to the fact that Mr. Martin had been elected State Binder, which office he held for eight years, and which necessitated his being at Topeka. The Union is a weekly paper, and Republican in politics. "Hubbard's Newspaper and Bank Directory of the World," for 1882, gives the circulation of the paper, as sworn to, at 900.
The Junction City Tribune was ushered into the world August 14, 1873, under the management of Henry Farey and Theodore Alvord, and took the position of an independent journal. On March 12, 1874, Mr. Farey withdrew, and Mr. Alvord continued its publication until July 1, 1875, when the paper fell into the hands of John Davis & Sons, where it still remains, and who are sole editors and proprietors. In politics it is independent greenback. A circulation of 1,400 is claimed for it.
The Davis County Republican is a seven column folio sheet, just ushered into existence by the Davis County Republican Publishing Company. Its first number appeared September 16, 1882, so whatever history it may have is yet to be made. The editor is J. H. Franklin, with Rev. J. A. Reitz as assistant. It starts out as being Republican in politics.
Centennial Lodge, No. 18, K. of P., was instituted April 24, 1876, with twenty-three charter members. Its first officers were: T. A. Cullinson, P. C.; Samuel Orr, C. C.; C. L. Linten, V. C.; E. E. Heath, K. of R. and S.; William Zieglasch, M. of F.; William Lockstone, M. of E.; B. A. Pierson, I. G.; E. G. Ahrens, O. G. The present officers are: J. J. Godell, P. C.; George Taylor, C. C.; John Oberg, V. C.; E. G. Ahrens, K. of R. and S.; J. H. Stroud, M. of F.; Charles Fogelstrom, M. of E.; Peter Bergren, M. of A.; J L. Upton, I. G.; Charles Peterson, O. G. Present membership, forty-five.
Union Lodge, No. 7, A., F. & A. M., was chartered October 20, 1857, but prior to that time it had worked under a dispensation granted January 6, 1857. The first meeting of the lodge took place at Fort Riley on January 31, 1857, where it continued to meet until July of the following year, when the place of meeting was changed to Junction City. The first meeting of the lodge in Junction City was held in a little log cabin in "Cuddy's Addition," on July 18, 1858. The applicants for the charter were: C. W. Beebe, T. L. Brent, William Cuddy, D. Clarkson, O. Cunningham, C. M. Barclay, L. A. Ormistead, D. James, A. W. Putnam and A. A. Garrett. The first officers of the lodge were: C. W. Beebe, W. M.; T. L. Brent, S. W.; William Cuddy, J. W.; A. L. Putnam, Sec.; David Clarkson, Treas.; David James, S. D.; C. M. Barclay, J. D.; Owen Cunningham, Tyler. The present officers: W. W. Hurley, W. M.; Robert Henderson, S. W.; R. L. Kepperling, J. W.; A. Vogler, Treas., G. F. Gordon, Sec.; F. M. Rodgers, S. D.; William Lawrence, J. D.; J. Campbell, Tyler. Present membership, sixty-seven.
Junction City Chapter, No. 17, R. A. M., was organized October 18, 1870, with twelve charter members. The first officers were: J. A. Anderson, H. P.; D. C. Jones, E. K.; J. H. Gilpatrick, E. S.; J. Dewitt, C. H.; J. P. Quinn, P. S.; H. H. Lynch, R. A. C., J. Dewitt, S. V.; T. A. Reynolds, 2 V.; F. M. Juneman, 1 V.; Robert Henderson, Treas.; Thomas Hooley, Sec.; R. C. Whiting, Tyler. The present officers are: J. T. Price, H. P.; W. W. Hurley, E. K.; J. J. Blattner, E. S.; W. S. Blakely, C. H.; A. Clough, P. S.; P. V. Trovinger, R. A. C.; William Lockstone, 3 V.; Robert Henderson, 2 V.; J. C. Scott, 1 V.; A. Vogler, Treas.; G. F. Trott, Sec.; D. N. Hicks, Tyler; Rev. Charles Reynolds, Chaplain.
Frontier Lodge, No. 25, I. O. O. F., was instituted March 29, 1857, with five charter members, as follows: T. G. Horn, George Draschel, Moritz Will, G. F. Gordon and Joseph Lane. First officers: T. G. Horn, N. G.; G. F. Gordon, V. G.; J. C. Hill, R. S.; George Draschel, Treas. The present officers are: C. P. Fogelstrom, N. G.; Charles Ross, V. G.; James Kerr, Sec., Louis Hauserman, Treas. Present membership, thirty-eight. This lodge has furnished one Grand Master to the State in the person of George W. Martin.
Junction City Lodge, No. 32, A. O. U. W., was instituted January 30, 1880, with ten charter members. First officers: J. M. Asher, P. M. W.; S. C. Hoag, M. W.; M. Bradford, G. F.; A. H. Leak, O.; J. H. Franklin, R. T.; D. Shaw, Fin.; G. J. Graves, Rec.; A. H. Clemens, G.; W. Bradford, I. W.; A. J. White, O. W. Present officers: M. Bradford, P. M. W.; H. M. Gemeny, M. W.; A. W. Gerhardt, G. F.; A. J. Callahan, O.; Robert Graves, R.; G. J. Graves, Fin.; C. C. Tyler, Rec.; J. C. Dumbrick, G.; N. Freeman, I. W.; W. R. Morgenfeldt, O. W.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (AIMAN - HURLEY).
HENRY AIMAN, proprietor Iowa House, erected and opened the above hotel to the public in 1881, size of which is 40x48 feet, two stories high, contains twenty-two rooms, can accommodate twenty guests; cost of hotel was $2,000. Mr. Aiman located in Junction City in December, 1876. He was born in Montgomery County, Pa., July 8, 1828, lived in native State until fall of 1864, moved to Iowa, and farmed until he came to Kansas. He was married in Pennsylvania in 1852, to Miss Mary E. Stebbins, of New York. They have eight children--George M., Charles A., Luretta, Roxana, Mary Ella, Catherine May, Harry W., and Francis.
J. F. AYARS, dealer in general line of drugs, medicines, druggists' sundries and notions. The firm of Bowers & Ayars opened trade February 9, 1882; they carry a stock of about $4,800. Mr. Ayars came to Davis County in 1865, worked at carpenter trade a year or two, then embarked in the live-stock business until he became interested in the above. Born in Lewis County, Mo., December 16, 1841, lived with parents in native State until 1847, and moved to Grant County, Wis., where he lived until the breaking out of the Rebellion. Enlisted August 12, 1861, in Company F, Tenth Regiment Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry; participated in all battles of his command, re-enlisting in January, 1863, in Company E, Mississippi River Marine Brigade on the United States Steamer "Diana," was in the siege of Vicksburg, Colman's Corners, Milligan's Bend, Hayne's Bluff, Columbus, Lake Village, Rodney and Austin. Mustered out in Vicksburg, in 1865, being orderly sergeant. He was married in 1866, to Miss Kate Mitchell, of Pittsburg, Pa.; they have five children--Maggie, Fannie E., Maude D., Dolly and Gracie.
M. K. BITTERMAN, dealer in general merchandise, furniture, hides and wool; opened trade in 1869, by his father B. Bitterman, and continued by the latter until 1875, after which the subject of this sketch took charge of the business, and has since continued it. He carries a stock of $15,000, and employs seven persons in the business. He occupies a building erected in 1878, 23x70 feet, two stories high, costing $4,000. He was born in Booneville, Mo., August 19, 1853, and came to Leavenworth, in 1858. He is a member of I. O. O. F. of Junction City.
SAMUEL H. CHURCH, of the firm of Church & Hurley, manufacturers and dealers in all kinds of harness and saddles; was born in Allen County, Ohio, June 18, 1842. He moved to Linn County, Iowa, in 1852, enlisted in August, 1862, in Company F, Twentieth Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and participated in the battles of Prairie Grove, Arkansas, Vicksburg, Miss., Mobile, Ala., and Fort Morgan, besides many skirmishes. He was mustered out of the United States service at Mobile, Ala., and discharged in Clinton, Iowa, July 27, 1865, then farmed until he came to Kansas in 1869, farming five years and-a-half, then moved to Central City, Iowa, keeping a hotel and harness shop until he returned to Junction City, January 10, 1880. He was married in Linn County, Iowa, in 1868, to Miss Mary C. Dennis, of Logan County, Ohio. He is a member of Lodge No. 32, Ancient Order of United Workmen.
ALFRED CLOUGH, dealer in general merchandise, opened trade April 1, 1877; erected his store of two stories high, 24x100 feet, with an iron front, at a cost of $7,000 in 1872. He carries a stock of about $10,000; his annual trade will equal $20,000. He located in Junction City in the spring of 1859, and engaged in merchant tailoring until 1864; spent a year in Leavenworth, Kansas, in the same business, returned to Junction City, where he went into a sutler's store as clerk at Fort Riley, until 1867, then went as post trader to Fort Reynolds, Col., until 1875, then returned to Junction City. Went to Europe in 1876. He was born in England, May 10, 1837, and was educated and learned his trade in his native country, coming to America in 1857. He was married at Fort Riley in 1860, to Miss Emma Jackson, of Jefferson Barracks, Mo., a daughter of R. T. Jackson, then Bandmaster of the First United States Cavalry. They have eight children--George Alfred, Daisy Alice, Robert Walter, Edwin Jackson, Henry Tompkins, Caroline Camille, Winfield Hancock, and Bernadina Juanita A. Was County Commissioner in 1879-'80 and '81. Is a Knight Templar.
THOMAS DIXON, proprietor of the Junction City Elevator, and dealer in all kinds of grain and live-stock. The elevator was erected in the fall of 1879; capacity, 10,000 bushels. He shipped 450 car-loads of wheat in 1879, and 150 car-loads of live-stock; average cost of car-load of wheat is $400; average cost of live-stock is about $1,000. He employs from three to six men in the business. He located in Ogden Township, Riley County, in 1854, where he farmed and raised stock until he came to Junction City, and opened business. He now owns 1,280 acres of land in Riley County, 400 of which is in one body and in cultivation. He was born in Ireland, September 8, 1831, came to America in 1849; was educated in his native country. He was married in Riley County, Kan., May 1, 1856, to Miss Mary Huff, a lady born and educated in Frankfort, Germany. The above was the first marriage in Riley County. They have nine children-- Ella, Josie, John T., Thomas P., Charles, Cosmos, George, Mary L. and Julie.
A. DREYFUS, came to Junction City in September, 1879. Engaged in the cooper trade a short time, then went into the produce business until he went into the trade as above. He was born in Delaware County, N. Y., September 5, 1857. Lived in his native State until he came to Kansas. He was educated in Andes, Delaware Co., N. Y.
A. G. EMERY, photographer, does all work in that line; began the business in March, 1876. He located in Junction City, on the latter date; formerly engaged in farming and horticulture. He was born in Penobscot County, Maine, June 19, 1833. Lived in his native State until 1862, worked many years in the lumber business, living in Peshtigo, Wis., three years during the time. He worked several months in a ship-yard in Milwaukee, Wis., and went to Michigan, and followed photographing a year. He was then employed at Erie County, N. Y., as recruiting sergeant. Returned to Marquette, Mich., and bought out a photographing establishment, followed the business in Michigan until 1874, then to Rockford, Ill., and engaged in the sale of sewing machines until he came to Kansas. He was married in Marquette, Mich., in February, 1865, to Miss Agnes C. Cole, of Wales, N. Y. They have three children--Diana G., Edwin A., and Arthur L. He is a member of the Order of Royal Arch Masons, and the A. F. & A. M.
CHAS. P. FOGELSTROM, manufacturer of wagons and buggies to order, also manufacturer of the Taylor Harrow; employs five men. Began the business in 1872. Came to Junction City in 1870, worked at blacksmithing and repair work; they now do about $6,000 in repairs and manufactures per annum. He was born in Sweden, October 27, 1842. Came to America in November, 1866. Worked in Chicago, Ill., some time in Iowa about two years, then went to Utah and worked on the Union Pacific Railroad, then to Omaha, Neb., worked some time, then in other places, finally he came to Junction City. Married in the latter city in 1873; his wife died. Again, married in October, 1878, to Miss A. A. Peterson, a native of Sweden. They have two children--Carl Roy and Ada Augusta. He is a member of the fire department, I. O. O. F. and Knights of Pythias.
ROBERT M. GAGE, of the firm of Gage & Dreyfus, dealers in a general line of family groceries, boots and shoes, rubber goods, queensware, etc. They opened the trade in September, 1880, succeeding C. H. Miller, and carry a stock of about $3,500. Mr. Gage first came to Junction City, Kansas, in June, 1857. He had quite a practice in the mercantile trade before going into business. He was born in Athol, Mass., June 16, 1859, and received a practical business education.
DR. R. M. HAYS, physician and surgeon, first came to Junction City in spring, 1875, and continued practice. Born in Gettysburg, Pa., October 9, 1851. Began the study of medicine in 1871--graduated from Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia, Pa., in 1873; graduated from La Fayette Literary College in Eastern Pennsylvania in 1870. Began the practice of medicine in June, 1874, in Junction City, where he has since continued. He is a member of Kaw Valley Medical Society of Kansas.
ALBERT S. HOWARD, firm of Woodmansee & Howard, proprietors of Variety Iron Works Foundry and Machine Shops. The buildings were completed in 1881; size, 46x60 feet, one and one-half stories high, cost $1,000. They have all necessary machinery to carry on the above business; employ four workmen. Mr. Howard was born in Monroe County, N. Y., October 23, 1840, his parents moved to Columbia County, Wis., in 1846, locating in Scott Township, where they farmed twenty-four years. He then went to Peabody on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad, Kansas, where he followed contracting and building, and came to Junction City in November, 1880. He was married in Scott, Wis., in 1860, to Miss Charlotte Tremble, of Illinois. They have four children--Clinton J., Samuel W., Hattie M., Harvey W. They are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of Peabody, Kan.
JAMES HUMPHREY, attorney-at-law, first settled in Manhattan, Kan., in the spring of 1857, where he served until 1862, as County Treasurer. He was editor of the Manhattan Express until the fall of 1862, admitted to the bar in 1863, practiced law until March, 1867 when he was appointed Judge of the Eighth Judicial District of Kansas, and elected for a full term the same year. He resigned in the spring of 1870, and moved to Junction City, and resumed the practice of his profession. He was born in England, March 8, 1833. Came to America in 1854, being educated partly in his native country, and completing in United States, and began to study law in 1860. He was married in 1861, to Miss Mary A. Vance, of Springfield, Ohio. They have five children--Herbert J., James V., Spencer, Ella and Adella A.
W. W. HURLEY, firm of Church & Hurley, manufacturers and dealers in harness, saddlery, etc.; opened business August 15,1881. They carry a stock of about $1,200, and employ three men. He located in Morris County, Kan., in 1866, and worked at the saddlery trade, etc. Came to Junction City in May, 1876, and worked at his trade since. He was born in Greene County, Pa., August 6, 1824, and moved to Pomeroy, Ohio, in 1840, where he lived until 1866, and there learned his trade. He was married in Meigs County, Ohio, in 1846, to Miss Lucinda B. Harris, of the latter county. They have one son--Horace Hurley, now a resident of California. Mr. Hurley is a member of the Masonic Order, Chapter and Union Lodge No. 7, of Junction City.