|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (HARRIS - LYONS).
A. A. HARRIS, dealer in toys, Yankee notions and glass-ware, was born in Michigan, 1855; raised on a farm; received a business education; farmed in Michigan until twenty-four years of age; at the end of which time, came to Kansas in 1879; stopped in Anderson County a short time; traveled over the State in the auction business until 1882, at which time located in Girard, commencing his present business; is an Odd Fellow, a member of the Catholic Church. Was married to Miss Jennie A. Hayden, of Kansas, 1883. Mrs. Harris is also a member of the Catholic Church.
CHARLES AUGUSTUS HASKIN, L. L. B., attorney-at-law, was born in Montgomery County, Ohio, November 22, 1855; came to Douglas County, Kan., in 1857, where he remained on a farm until September, 1874, when he married Miss Martha N. Fishbaugh, of Ohio, and removed to Michigan, where he engaged in the lumbering business for eighteen months, and then returned to Kansas. His wife died in 1879, leaving two daughters - Martha, (sic) Nellie and Helen Luella. He entered the law office of D. S. Alfred and R. J. Bughothaus, in Lawrence, Kan., as a student, in June, 1880; and also entered the law department of the University of Kansas. He was admitted to the bar in May, 1882, and graduated in June of the same year. He located in Girard in November, 1882, and opened a law office. He united with the Methodist Church in 1873.
J. M. HIGGIE, farmer and stock-raiser and proprietor and owner of the Crawford County Creamery, Sections 7 and 18, P. O. Girard. Mr. Higgie was born in Kenosha, Wis., in 1851, and was reared and educated in Chicago, Ill.; at the age of fourteen years he engaged in the lake marine, and as he developed into manhood, he took charge of vessels as master, and was very reputably connected in that capacity for many years, principally in connection with the Higgies, who were prominent vessel owners then. In 1881, he sold his interest in that enterprise and retired from the profession, and located here, and engaged at his present industry, with which he has been prominently identified here since. He was married in 1875, to Miss Isabella Keith, who was born in the Orkney Isled, Scotland, in 1854, and was reared in Racine County, Wis. They have a family of one son and two daughters - Lina, John and Ethel. Mr. Higgie has worked actively in the development of the social and industrial life of this locality since coming here. The family are members of the Presbyterian Church. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. Society. His farm contains 320 acres of land well fenced and watered and stocked, good dwellings and barns and stables, etc.; about 1,500 trees of a nicely selected variety of fruits. The creamery is a story-and-a-half stone structure, 27 x 27 feet; is run by steam-power, with a capacity of manufacturing about 400 pounds of butter a day, the machinery and improvements being all new and of the most approved plans. In connection with the creamery is an ice-house, with a capacity for storing all of the ice necessary to be used during the manufacturing season.
LYMAN N. HITCHCOCK, retired, was born in Greene County, N. Y., June 21, 1825, and was reared and educated in Peoria County, Ill., where he was actively engaged in connection with farming for several years. He afterward located in Marshall County, Ill.; engaged in the same business until 1867, when he located at Henry, Ill., and carried on hardware merchandise until 1871. He then came to Kansas and located at Fort Scott, where he carried on the hardware business until 1873; retiring from the business that year, he engaged in farming and stock-raising and breeding, with which he was reputably connected in Bourbon County until 1883, when he engaged in the livery business from which he has since retired. He married January 1, 1849, in Peoria County, Ill., Miss Roxana J. Dickinson, who was born in Indiana, and reared in Peoria County, Ill. they have a son and five daughters living - Alfred A., Mary, now Mrs. George F. Paskal, hotel and livery business; Maria, now Mrs. Edward Krenz, hotel business; Alice, now Mrs. William Millington, book-keeper; Grace, now Mrs. Dr. U. M. Griffin; Hettie, at home. Mr. Hitchcock has worked actively in the development of the social and industrial life of his locality. He has served as Justice of the Peace for several years. He has been an active member of the A., F. & A. M. Society since 1867.C. HITZ, proprietor and owner of the Girard Flouring Mills, was born in Canton Graubunden, Switzerland, in 1844, and came to America in 1855, and settled in Madison County, Ill. In 1858 he came to Kansas and followed farming until the breaking out of the war of the rebellion, in which he did service in the Twelfth Wisconsin Battery, until 1865, when he was honorably discharges. He then engaged in merchandising in Madison, Wis., and followed it there until 1868, when he returned to Kansas, and settled in Miami County, where he was engaged in milling until 1870, when he located here and engaged in his present industry which he has successfully operated since. In 1868, he was married to Miss Mary Flint, who departed this life in February, 1879, and is buried in the Girard Cemetery, leaving two daughters - Minnie and Fay. In 1880, he married Miss Ellen Wells; they have one son, Christian Arthur. Mr. Hitz' mill is a four-story brick, stone and basement structure, run by steam, with a forty-five horse-power capacity; manufactures upon both stone and roller combined process; turns out about 100 barrels per day. His special brands are the "City Belle," "Snow-Flake" and "White Chief;" manufactures for the merchant trade exclusively. In connection with his mill is an extensive elevator run by steam-power, which he utilizes for both elevating and storehouse purposes.
GEORGE E. HOWARD, commission merchant and real estate, loan and insurance business, was born in Boston, Mass., October 19, 1846, and was identified with the mercantile business there in the wholesale trade for several years. In 1869 he located here and carried on retail merchandising for several years; in the meantime, he established his present grain and commission business. In 1876 he established his real estate, loan and insurance business, which he has operated since. He married in 1876, Miss Phoebe W. Player, who was born in New Market, Canada, in 1849; they have one little girl - Blanche. Mr. Howard has been an active member of the Board of Aldermen; is present Chief of the Fire Department, which organization he worked actively in establishing. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. society, Encampment and A. O. U. W., and has passed all the chairs in each. Is also a member of the Select Knights. The family are members of the Presbyterian Church.
C. R. HUNT, head miller Girard Flouring Mills, was born in Licking County, Ohio, in 1834, and moved with his father to Iowa in 1845. When at the age of eighteen, he engaged in his present business, with which he has been actively identified since. In 1871 he came to Kansas and located here in 1874, and accepted his present position, where he has been employed ever since. In 1855 he married, Miss Catherine Davison, who was born in Clark County, Ohio; they have a family of two sons and seven daughters - Emma B., now Mrs. S. D. Ashmore, a grain merchant; Ida May, now Mrs. William A. Fritts, head engineer of Girard Mills; Clarence E., second miller, Girard Mills; Flora L., Lillie G., Charlie D., Mary M., Tacy M. and Pearl D. Mr. Hunt is an active member of A. O. U. W. society. His family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Hunt has lately bought a mill at Walnut, this county, and took possession in April, 1883.
A. F. HUNTOON, M. D., was born in Illinois April 20, 1852, raised a farmer, subsequently receiving a medical education and graduating at Rush Medical College, and medical college of St. Louis, Mo. He practiced in Illinois until 1876, at which time he came to Girard, Kan., and continued the practice of his profession in that city. Dr. Huntoon owns a residence in Girard and ten acres of land adjoining the town. He is United States Examiner of Pensions for Crawford County, and Coroner of Crawford County. He is a member of A. O. U. W. and Select Knight of same order. He was married to Miss Emma E. Richards, of Pennsylvania, in 1879, and has one child - Harry A. Mrs. Dr. Huntoon taught school six years and received the highest compliments of the School Directors and of the County Superintendent.
A. S. JOHNSON, County Clerk, was born in Wyoming County, N. Y., in 1846, and was reared in Licking County, Ohio, where he was identified with mercantile industry. In 1865 he went to Missouri and followed merchandising until 1869, when he located here and was identified with farming and merchandising until 1877, when he was elected to his present incumbency, to which he has been elected each consecutive term since. He married in 1868, Miss Julia Preston, a native of Licking County, Ohio; they have a family of two sons and four daughters - George, Fred, Dora, Cora, Julia and Ina. Mr. Johnson did active service during the late Civil War, in Company I, One Hundred and Twenty-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, from which he was honorably discharged at the end of the war. he is at present a member of the Board of Aldermen for his city, which incumbency he has held for the last two years. he is an active member of the A., F. & A. F. and A. O. U. W. societies. His family are members of the Presbyterian Church.
CHARLES JONES, farmer, Section 33, P. O. Girard, was born in Indiana in 1849, raised on a farm, received a business education; came to Kansas July, 1871; located in Crawford County, Crawford Township, on a farm of 120 acres, where he remained four years; then to Girard in restaurant and bakery business; then on the farm two years; then to his present home of 180 acres in 1881. Was married to Miss Annie Davis, of England, 1872; they have two children - Charles C. and Louis L. Mrs. Jones is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
W. S. JONES, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 9, P. O. Girard, was born in Vermillion County, Ind., in 1852, and was reared and educated there; at the age of twenty he located in Vernon County, Mo., and carried on his present industry actively until 1875, when he came here and has very successfully carried it on here since. In 1880 he married Miss Lydia Lukins, who was born and reared near Lafayette, Ind. They have one little girl - Helen. His family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church; his farm contains eighty acres of improved land, well fenced and watered and stocked, his specialty being hogs; good dwellings, barns, stables and a nice orchard of assorted fruits.
C. J. KEYES, merchant, was born in Michigan June 13, 1836; received a high school education, and began mercantile business in Michigan at the age of eighteen, which he carried on until December, 1881, at which time he came to Kansas and opened his present business in Girard. Mr. Keyes carries a stock of $20,000, and does a yearly business of about $60,000. He dealt largely in real estate of all kinds in Michigan, and also in cattle and hogs, saw and grist mills and all kinds of property, still owning a fine residence and business property in Michigan. is a member of the Order of Freemasons and Odd Fellows. Mr. Keyes was married to Miss Sallie Ann Field, of Michigan, in July, 1857; they have two children - Ella L. and Gertrude I. Miss Ella L. Keyes was married to Dr. T. F. Brown, of Pennsylvania, in 1875, and Miss Gertie I Keyes was married to Mr. C. J. Noyes, of Michigan, in 1879. Mrs. Dr. Brown has one child - Agnes Gertrude, born 1876.
GEORGE A. KEYES, dentist, was born in Cambridge, Vt., November 26, 1842. He was raised on a farm and received a high school education, and joined the army in 1862, and was mustered out in 1865. Received a shell wound in the right hand, at the battle of Winchester, September 19, 1864. After the close of the war, he went to Savannah, Ga., in the employ of the Southern Express Company, where he remained one year. He then returned North, to New York City, and clerked in a hotel for two years. He then began the study of dentistry, making his home in New York till 1878. He came to Kansas in 1879, and after remaining at Paola a short time, he came to Girard and located. He spent the winters of 1873-74-75-76 and 1877 in Texas and Florida on account of ill health. Dr. Keyes is a member of the A., F. & A. M. and Chief of Records of the Improved Order of Red Men, Quartermaster of Gen. Bailey Post of the G. A. R., and a member of the A. O. U. W., Vice President of the Southwestern Dental Association, and Librarian of the Girard Library Association. He was married to Miss Carrie I. Winch, of New York City, March 13, 1873, and has one child, Fannie C. Mrs. Dr. Keyes is a graduate of the New York Normal College.
E. KILLOUGH, manufacturer and dealer in saddles, harness, collars, bridles, etc. W. T. Killough was born in Monroe County, Ind., in 1833, and settled in Burlington, Iowa, with his people in 1846, where he learned his present trade, at the age of sixteen, and was identified with it for many years. In 1867, he came to Fort Scott and remained there until 1870, when he located here, and has been actively connected with his present business since. In 1869, he married Mrs. Eliza Hall nee Whitton, a native of Toledo, Ohio. They have a family of two sons and one daughter - Lulu, Willie and Arthur Garfield. During the war, Mr. Killough did active service in the Second Iowa Volunteer Infantry from 1861 until 1862, when he was honorably discharged on account of disability. He is an active member of the I. O. O. F. Society and Encampment. The family are members of the Christian Church.
GEORGE D. KINCAID, general merchant, was born in Pennsylvania May 10, 1848. He received a collegiate education and began clerking in Pennsylvania, remaining in that position six years. He came to Girard in 1874 and clerked for H. P. Grund three years, then opened business with J. T. Leonard in the mercantile line, in which he continued four years when he was burned out in the fire of 1881. After that time he run business on his own account, having sold out to Mr. Leonard ten days before the fire. He bought what remained of Mr. Leonard's goods and put in a new stock, and now carries from $12,000 to $15,000 stock. He owns a residence in Girard. Is a Freemason and K. of P. He was married to Miss V. Bubb, of Pennsylvania, in 1879, and has one son, Max, born June 30, 1881.
A. KNICELY, farmer, Section 20, P. O. Girard, was born in Virginia in 1830, and was raised on a farm. Received a business education. AT the age of twenty-two he began farming for himself in Virginia, and continued to farm till 1864. Was in Ohio at the stonemason business twelve years. Came to Kansas in 1874 and located on his present home of eighty acres, which he has since run as a grain and stock farm, and in the mean time made brick two years. Owns a home and one acre of ground in Girard. Is a member of the Presbyterian Church. Was married to Miss Annie Ruddy, of Virginia, in 1852. Have two children living - Charlotta and James D. Mrs. Knicely is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
DANIEL A. KRUM, farmer, Sections 3 and 4, P. O. Girard, was born in Indiana in 1861. Raised in the city and on a farm, and received a business education. Came to Kansas in 1880 and located on his present home of 240 acres; since which time he has been engaged in the grain and stock business. Mr. Krum has his farm well under hedge and wire fence. Has on his farm a good line of all kinds of fruits and berries. Was married to Miss Sarah C. Schoonmaker, of Kansas, October 12, 1882. Mrs. Krum received a collegiate education, and taught one term of school in Kansas.
OLIVER LANGLEY, farmer, Section 1, P. O. Girard, was born in Wales, in 1834. Came to the United States in 1850 and went to Ohio, where he remained until 1857, on a farm, then to Indiana, on a farm nine years, next to Illinois, on a farm four years, then to Missouri seven years, then to Kansas in 1877, and located in Crawford County, Osage Township, on a farm two years, then to his present home of 240 acres, which he improved and has since run, in the grain, hay and stock business, carrying from 125 to 150 head of stock. is a member of the Christian Church. Was married to Miss Emily Snoddy, of Indiana. Have seven children - Martha, Edwin, Elizabeth, Josie, Loyde, Laura and Frank. Mrs. Langley is also a member of the Christian Church.
WILLIAM H. LARIMORE, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 4, P. O. Girard, was born in Morgan County, Ill., in 1842, and was reared there to his present industry. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company E, One Hundred and First Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and did active service till the end of the war, when he was honorably discharged. After the war he returned to his native county and carried on farming, with which he is still extensively identified there. In 1870, he came here and located upon his present place. he married in 1868, Miss Salinda Brey Stirman, a native of Kentucky, who departed this live in 1874, and is buried in Battle Grove Cemetery, Kentucky. Their three children are buried in Morgan County, Ill. In 1876, he married Miss Anna Coughenour, a native of Ohio, who departed this life October 26, 1882, and is buried in Diamond Grove Cemetery, Morgan County, Ill., leaving one little girl living, Leuella May. His family and himself were raised in connection with the faith of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His farm here contains 320 acres of improved land, well fenced and watered and stocked, good buildings, an orchard of well-selected variety of fruit trees, and has a nice grove of forest trees.
WILLIAM A. LEEDON, one of the proprietors of the City Hotel, was born in Ohio in 1842, and was raised on a farm. He received a clerical education and began teaching school at the age of sixteen. He taught five years in Ohio, then in Illinois two years, then in Indiana in the same capacity three years. He came to Kansas in 1876 and located in Girard and opened a hotel, in which business he has continued since, having made a success of the hotel business, by good management and strict attention to business.
D. A. LEHR, farmer, P. O. Girard, was born in Pennsylvania, 1856; raised in the city. Received a business education; came to Kansas in 1867; located in Riley County, where he remained on a farm one year; then to Linn County one year on a farm, at the end of which time came to Crawford County. Located on a farm, where he has since been actively engaged in raising stock and grain. Married to Miss Susan Gabriel, of Kansas, in 1882.
JOHN LEHR, farmer and stock-raiser, Sections 4 and 5, P. O. Girard, was born in Pennsylvania in 1818; went to work for himself at nineteen, taking contracts for clearing land, in which he continued four years; he then bought and worked on a farm in Pennsylvania five years; then sold the farm and moved to Limestone, and locating two years there, furnished rock for building purposes for two years. Then to Altoona, working on the railroad as fireman and engineer four years; then in the grain and grocery trade nine years. Then to Ohio one year in the milling business in Columbiana County; then to Manhattan, Kan., in 1867, one year; then to Miami County, Kan., worked on the railroad one year; settled in Crawford County in 1870, on a farm of 160 acres which he improved, but through adversity he lost; then went to where he now lives on a purchase of 280 acres, and went into the grain and stock business; has ninety acres improved, the balance in pasture all under fence. Is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, was married to Miss Martha Glasco, of Ireland, in 1848; they had nine children - Rosilla J., Doman A., Charles L., William A., Kate B., Martha E.; three dead. He lost his wife by death on the 22nd of December, 1864, and was again married one year after to Miss Annie Knox, who was from Lathrop, Penn. They have six children - John S., Jacob E., George F., Franklin L., Mary V. and Peter.
P. J. LEITZELL, County superintendent of Schools, was born in Penn Hall, Center County, Penn., in 1849, and received his rudimentary education in the public and subscription schools of his nativity, and his literary education at the academy of his native State. At the age of eighteen he began his profession as a teacher, and was reputably connected with it in his native State until 1877, when he located in this county and has been actively identified with it since. In 1882, he was elected to his present incumbency, which he ably represents. He married in 1872 Miss Lizzie C. Miller, of Spring Mills, Center County, Penn. They have two sons - Albert M. and William P. Since coming here he has worked actively in the growth and development of this locality. He is an active member of the I. O. O. F. and A. O. U. W. Societies. The family are members of the Lutheran Church.
J. T. LEONARD, cashier of "Citizens' Bank," was born in Beardstown, Cass Co., Ill., in 1854; received his education in the public schools of his nativity. In 1872, he located here, engaged at merchandising, which he carried on actively till February, 1882, when he joined the present business as stockholder, and accepted his present incumbency. In 1878, he married Miss Anna Carpenter, a native of Whitby, Canada. They have one son - Howard. Mr. Leonard has been an active worker in the public, social and industrial life of this place since locating here. he is present member of the Board of Aldermen for his city, and has been active in other civil official positions. He is an active member of the A., F. & A. M. Society, and of the Chapter of Royal Arch Masons.
E. LOOMIS, farmer, stock-raiser, buyer, seller and shipper, Section 30, P. O. Girard. He was born in Ohio, in 1834; raised in the stock business and received a business education; continued in farming and the stock business in Ohio until 1869. In the meantime was in the war one year; came to Kansas in 1869 and located on his present home of 500 acres, which he improved; has now 275 acres under cultivation, and thirty acres of timber, good running water and wells, and a fine wind-mill. He has 100 acres in blue grass, timothy and clover. Carries about 200 head of cattle, and from 100 to 150 hogs; ships from 150 to 200 care loads of stock annually. He has been school director, clerk and treasurer for several years. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. and the A. O. U. W. He was married to Miss Harriet C. Case, of Ohio, in 1863. They have five children - Charles, Mira, George, John and Mabel. Mrs. Loomis is also a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, takes great interest in benevolent, charitable and missionary work.
WILLIAM LYONS, of the firm of William Lyons & company, harness and saddles, horse furnishing goods, was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, in 1836; lived on a farm until 1852, when he went to learn his present trade in Allegheny City, Penn., and in the spring of 1858 he married Mrs. Eliza Jane Hallihang, in Martinsburg, Knox Co., Ohio; worked at his present trade in Ohio, and in the year of 1863 moved to Iowa, and lived in that State actively engaged at his present profession, and in the winter of 1872 he came to Crawford County, Kan., and toiled on a farm until the fall of 1876, when he moved to Girard and engaged in the saddlery business, where he has been very successful in his profession. Mrs. Eliza Jane Lyons, his wife, was born in Washington County, Penn., in 1826, when she came to Knox County, Ohio, when very young. They have one daughter - Ida B., now the wife of G. A. Dunham, one of the firm. Mr. Lyons is an active member of the Knights of Pythias, and of I. O. G. T. Societies here, and a good, upright, moral business man. G. A. Dunham of the firm was born in Delaware County, Ohio, in 1857, and located in Kansas in 1874, and in 1878 he married Ida B. Lyons, and after a short time became one of the firm, and has been very successful ever since. Miss Ida B. Lyons was born in Coshocton County, Ohio, in the town of Newcastle in April, 1861. They have one daughter and one son - Lulu May and Lloyd Lyons Dunham. Mr. Dunham is an active member of the order of A. O. U. W. and Select Knights at Girard.