|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (DANIELS - GRANTHAM).
COL. PERCY DANIELS, P. O. Girard, owner of the "Narragansett Farm," son of the Hon. David Daniels, of the Rhode Island bench, and grandson of Dexter Ballon, one of the pioneers of the woolen manufacturing industries of the New England States. He was born in Woonsocket, Providence Co., R. I., in 1840. He received his rudimentary education in the public schools of Woonsocket, and his literary education at the Westminster Seminary, Vermont, and the University Grammar School of Providence, R. I. At eighteen, he commenced the study of civil engineering, under the preceptorship of S. B. Cushing, Sr. In poor health at the breaking out of the war, and anxious to go, he "roughed it" in the Michigan pineries during the winter of 1861-62, and then returning to Woonsocket raised Company E, of the Seventh Rhode Island Volunteer Infantry, and was commissioned Second Lieutenant July, 1862, First Lieutenant when the regiment left the State, September, 1862, promoted to Captain after the battle of Fredericksburg, to Lieutenant-Colonel on the opening of the siege of Petersburg, was brevetted Colonel for gallant service at the "Mine fight," when inviting the men of a strange brigade to follow him; a line of works were carried from which they had before been repulsed; and assigned to duty on his brevet commission for meritorious conduct at the battle of Pegram farm (September 30, 1864). During the latter months of the siege his regiment formed part of the garrison of the famous Fort Sedgwick (or Hell, as commonly called), and apart of this time he was in command of the fort, and in the fall of Richmond and Petersburg took part with the Ninth Corps in the pursuit and capture of Lee's army. He returned to Providence in June, 1865, with the 350 men that remained of the original 1,000. After the war, intending to locate in the South, he accepted a position in the Engineer Corps of the Cincinnati Southern Railroad, but after two winters in Tennessee came West, traveled through Eastern Nebraska and Kansas, and concluding to locate here, went East and married Miss Eliza A. Eddy, of Leicester, Mass., a graduate of the Westfield State Normal School, and teacher in the Worcester schools. Returning at once, he engaged in merchandising at Crawfordsville, the then county seat, till 1869. In 1868, he bought the present farm sited and was engaged in its improvements and cultivation till 1873, when he rented the farm, went back East and accepted a position in the City Corps of Engineers of Worcester, Mass., and subsequently became Chief, staying till 1878. From there he went to Providence, R. I., and was interested in professional duties and the settlement of the estate of a brother, Judge Francis A. Daniels, till 1881, when he returned to his farm, where he has been actively at work since. He has been connected with the Masonic Order since 1865, and he and his wife are active members of the Presbyterian Church. "Narragansett Farm" contains 380 acres and is beautifully located on Section 10, Crawford Township, three and a half miles northwest of Girard, the county seat; 125 acres of it is used for grain tillage, 160 acres devoted to pasture, and the balance is wild grass, which yields an abundance of hay. The land is first quality; handsome dwelling and substantial barn and stables; an orchard of eight acres, a small grove of chestnuts, several groves of other forest trees, and a large fish pond, are located on the farm. Col. Daniels pays considerable attention to the breeding of good cattle and hogs.
J. A. DAWSON, real estate and loan agent, was born in Indiana June 12, 1846. He was raised on a farm; received a business education, joined the army in 1862, at the age of eighteen. He was in thirty-three engagements (among others, Stone River, Chickamauga and Mission Ridge), and was mustered out June 5, 1865. He returned home and worked on the farm two years and was then in Missouri three years in the brick business, and afterward two years in the grocery business in the same State. He went then to Osage Mission and carried on the grocery business two years, then to Hutchinson County, Kan., and was three months in mercantile trade, then sold out and went to Osage City, Kan., where he remained six years, and was then prospecting one year. He then worked for a St. Louis mercantile company three years, then in real estate business with Howard & Ward six months, and then began real estate business for himself in Girard, forming a copartnership with Mr. Cauble in November, 1882. He owns a 160 acre farm, improved and run as a grain and stock farm. He was married to Miss C. W. Unroe, of Illinois, in 1868. They have three children - John, Eva and Grace. Mrs. Dawson was educated at the Normal School in Illinois.
W. A. DENTON, farmer, P. O. Girard, was born in Kentucky in 1839, and was raised to agricultural pursuits. Received a common education and went to Missouri in 1856, where he remained on a farm one year. Came to Kansas in 1857 and located in Bourbon County on a farm, where he remained until 1866, devoting his attention to the raising of grain and stock. He came to Crawford County in 1866 and opened and improved a farm of 160 acres, which he improved and has since run as a grain farm. He is a member of the Baptist Church. In the mean time has been preaching in Kansas about ten years. He has been School Clerk, Director or Trustee for thirteen years past. He was married to Miss Elizabeth Coyle of Kansas, in 1859. They have one child, Mary A. Mrs. Denton is also a member of the Baptist Church.
A. D. DILLON, dealer in pianos, organs, steam threshers and sewing machines. He was born in Illinois in 1840, and received a business education. At the age of twenty-one, he began farming in Illinois, and continued that occupation until 1868, at which time he came to Barton County, Mo., and was for three years on a farm; then moved to Illinois and lived on a farm four years, then to Kansas in 1878, and settled on a farm in Crawford County. Here he remained two years and then came to Girard and opened his present business. He owns 156 acres of land in Crawford County. Mr. Dillon is a member of the A. O. U. W. Served in the Union army in the Seventh Regiment, Company E, Illinois Infantry. He was married in 1867, to Miss Sarah R. Corrothers, of Ohio, a native of that State, who was born in 1843. They have two children - Frank P. and Willie C.
C. P. O. DRUM, undertaker, was born in Cape Girardeau County, Mo., in 1826, and was reared in Macoupin County, Ill. He was actively identified with the mechanical business in that State till 1872, when he located here and established his present business in 1874, and has very successfully carried it on since. In connection with his business, he has two elegantly equipped hearses. Mr. Drum has been an active worker in connection with the United Baptists' State Line Association since 1874. He is their present Moderator, which incumbency he has held for the last four years.
J. C. DUNKLE, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 32, P. O. Girard, was born in Fayette County, Ohio, in 1816, and was raised and educated there. AT the age of twenty-three, he located in Lawrence County, Mo., where he was extensively connected with his present industry till 1874, when he came here and located upon his present place, where he has been actively connected with his present industry since. He was married in Ohio in 1839 to Miss Sarah J. Flesher, of his native county. They have a family of two sons and seven daughters living - Mary E., now Mrs. Philip T. Faust; Melinda, now Mrs. Henry Hendricks; Caroline, now Mrs. William Morrison, all engaged at farming in Lawrence County, Mo.; Sarah J., now Mrs William Morrison (sic), blacksmith, of Arkansas; Melcena, now Mrs. P. J. Harper, farmer, of this county; Adeline, married to R. A. Smallen (deceased); Nancy, married to Martin Stitch, of this county; L. J. and Perry C. In 1875, Mrs. Dunkle departed this life, and is buried in the family cemetery in Lawrence County, Mo. Mr. Dunkle married for his second wife Miss Elizabeth Hawley, a native of North Carolina. They have no children. He did service in the Home Guards of Missouri during the war. His family are members of the Baptist Church. His farm contains 160 acres of improved land, well fenced and watered and stocked, dwellings and stables, and an orchard of 200 trees of a well selected variety of fruits.
J. G. EASTWOOD, saddle and harness maker, was born in Illinois December 2, 1832. He was raised on a farm, received a common school education, and went to learn a trade at the age of eighteen, beginning business for himself in Illinois at the age of twenty, in which he continued twelve years. In 1861, he enlisted in the army and served until 1863. He came to Kansas in 1865, and was employed on a farm two years, coming to Girard in 1869, where he remained until 1877. He was then on a farm two years, and then came back to Girard and engaged in the saddler's business, in which he has since continued. He owns a farm of 120 acres, and runs it as a grain, stock and fruit farm. The farm has a fine grove of timber and running water on it. He also owns a residence in Girard. He was Police Judge for three years, and is a member of the Order of Odd Fellows. he was married to Miss Margaret J. Mourning, of Kentucky, in 1858. They have three children - Susan E., Eva R., Franklin M. and George Wesley (deceased); Miss Susan Eastwood was married to Mr. E. Mills in 1876, and has had two children - George L. (deceased) and Harry.
J. W. EDWARDS, general merchant, was born in Ohio December 12, 1844. He was raised on a farm, received a business education, and at the age of twenty began farming in Ohio for himself, remaining in his native State until 1876. He was next in a hardware store as clerk for two and one-half years, and then began for himself in the grocery business, which he carried on for two years. In 1881, he came to Girard, Kan., bought out a grocery stock, and added to it a general line of merchandise. Mr. Edwards carries a stock of about $5,000, and does a business of about $35,000 per year. He is a member of the M. E. Church and is Steward of same. Is a member of the Knights of Honor. He was married to Miss Sallie A. Moore, of Ohio, in 1881, and has one child.
S. W. EMERY, farmer, stock grower and dealer in fine stock, Sections 16 and 21, P. O. Girard, was born in Ohio in 1833. He was raised on a farm, received a business education, and went to Illinois in 1854. He remained on a farm until 1875, at the end of which time he came to Kansas and located in Girard for a short time. He then moved to his present home of 400 acres, where he has since been engaged in the raising of stock, carrying from 60 to 100 head of cattle and from 75 to 125 head of hogs. He has about 220 acres of land under cultivation, has 120 acres in blue grass, clover and timothy. The farm is under hedge fence, with plenty of good running water. He raises the Poland-China hogs and high grade of Short-horn cattle. Is a member of the Order of Freemasons and has been school Treasurer for nine years. He was married to Miss Sarah E. Meeks, of Illinois, in 1859. They have eleven children - Hattie E., Carie E., Susie E., Henry G., John K., Thomas A., Minnie, Sallie F., Maggie, Tena V., Jay and Mary (deceased).
G. ENDICOTT, proprietor of foundry and machine shop, was born in Kentucky in 1833. He was raised on a farm and in the shop and received a business education. He began the blacksmith business at the age of fourteen in Missouri, and continued in that State until 1854, at which time he came to Kansas and located at Fort Scott, where he remained until 1878. He then went to Osage Mission and remained a short time, and then came to Girard and opened his present business. Mr. Endicott is a member of the Order of Odd Fellows. He was married to Miss Cyntha (sic) Nail, of Tennessee, in 1872. They have three children - John A., Jennettie and Sonora.
E. FANGER, grain and hay dealer, was born in Mecklenburg, Germany, in 1832, and came to America in 1853, and followed merchandising till 1858, when he went to California, where he was principally identified with mining operations till 1867; he then engaged in merchandising along the line of the Union Pacific Railway, and carried it on actively till 1869, when he located here and operated successfully in merchandising till 1881. In the meantime he established his present business in hay and grain dealing, which he has successfully carried on since. In 1870 he married Miss Mary Tipton, who was born in Indiana and reared in Iowa; they have a family of three children - Edna, Hattie and Louisa. Mr. Fanger has worked actively in the development of the public, social and industrial life of this place since coming here. He is at present member of the Board of Alderman (sic) for his city, which incumbency he has held for several years. He is an active member of the I. O. O. F. and A., F. & A. M. societies; his connection with the first named dating from 1855, and with the second from 1872. During the late civil war, he did active service in the Second California Volunteers of Cavalry for the last four years of the war, from which he was honorably discharged.
F. E. FANGER, general merchandise, was born in Germany April 8, 1849. He came to the United States at the age of five with his parents, and was raised on a farm in Ohio, receiving a business education. At the age of seventeen he went to the Rocky Mountains, and was in the grocery business in Cheyenne, Laramie City and Wasatch eighteen months, including many small towns. He was then in Sioux City, Iowa, one summer in general store; he came to Kansas in 1869, settled in Girard and engaged in same line of business in partnership with his brother Edward until July, 1881, at which time he bought his brother's interest and continued the business until November, 1881, when his store was burned and he was out of business until September, 1882, at which time he opened his present house. Mr. Fanger owns a farm of 160 acres in Crawford County, all coal land; it is improved and run as a grain farm. He also owns his residence and business properties in town; is a member of the order of Freemasons.
J. K. FAULK, wagon and carriage manufacturer and repairer, was born in Ohio, March 7, 1850. After receiving a business education, he began farming for himself at the age of eighteen, remaining one year in Illinois. He then went to Iowa, and carried on the carpenter business seven years, removing to Kansas in 1876. He located in Crawford County, remaining on a farm one year, and then came to Girard, and opened a carpenter shop, and ran it three months. He then carried on the butcher's business six months, and then formed a partnership in wagon business and blacksmith shop and ran them until January, 1882, at which time he bought out his partner's interest in the wagon and blacksmith shop, and has continued to run them alone since that time. He owns residence and business property in Girard. Is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church; is a Freemason and member of A. O. U. W. He was married to Miss Nancy Montgomery, of Pennsylvania, in 1875, and has one child - Maudie E.
IRA J. FRISBIE, general merchant, was born in Hew York State, 1838, was raised and educated in Michigan. At the age of nineteen he went to California where he remained in the mines for nine years; in the meantime he went on an exploring expedition to Alaska for seven months, and then returned to California, where he remained seven years in charge of the mining interest of an English company, at the end of which time he returned to Michigan, where he was in the mercantile business eighteen months. Came to Kansas in 1870, and located in Crawford on a farm of 160 acres, which he improved and ran seven years as a grain farm, broke 145 acres, and has a good assortment of fruits of all kinds. In 1877 was appointed by the Governor to the position of Chief Mechanic of a portion of the Indian Territory for five years, at the end of which time he came to Girard, and after making a tour of Michigan and the lake regions and the East, opened his present business in Girard in connection with Mr. A. R. Satterthwaite, 1883. Was School Director of District No. 80, for one year. Belongs to the Order of Freemasons, and is Master of Girard Lodge, No. 93. Was married to Miss Lydia P. Hollibaugh, of Ohio, in 1872; they have three children - John L., Clara E. and Alice G.
WILLIAM A. FRITTS, head engineer Girard Flouring Mills, was born in Louisville, Ky., in 1848, and located in Kansas City in 1868, where he learned his profession, and was actively connected with it there till 1874. He then spent a short time in travel in connection with his business, principally in Iowa and latterly in St. Louis, coming from there to this place in 1875, and accepting his present position with which he has been reputably connected since. In 1876 he married Miss Ida May Hunt, who was born in Mount Pleasant, Iowa; they have a family of two sons and one daughter - Orrin Guy, Ora Noy and James. Mr. Fritts is an active member of the I. O. O. F., A. O. U. W. and I. O. G. T. societies. During the late civil war he did active service in Company D, Second Arkansas Cavalry, during latter two years of the war, from which he was honorably discharged.
I. B. GARRISON, contractor and builder, was born in Pennsylvania in 1826, was raised to agricultural pursuits; was in the mill business four years; was next in the carpenter business four years; then in the lumber and farming until 1857, at which time he went to Illinois, where he remained on a farm until 1870, when he came to Kansas, and farmed two years in connection with the carpenter business, then farmed exclusively until 1881, moved to town, since which time he has devoted his entire time to the carpenter business. Is a member of the Order of Odd Fellows, Grange and Good Templars. Owns two town lots and ten acres adjoining town. Was married to Miss Susanna Ross, of Pennsylvania, in 1847; they have four children - John R., George L., James L. and Anna B. Mr. and Mrs. Garrison are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
A. P. GILMORE, railroad contractor, was born in Philadelphia, 1837; was raised in the milling business. Received a business education, went to Iowa in 1853, engaged in the milling business there until 1861, at which time he entered the army, was discharged 1865, returned to Iowa and engaged in railroad contracting, where he spent one year, at the end of which time he came to Kansas, located in Anderson County on a farm of 100 acres which he improved and ran as a grain farm three years; then moved to Garnett, Kan., in railroad contracting in which he has continued until the present time; came to Girard 1878. Is a member of the Methodist episcopal Church; was married to Miss Cornelia Baker, of Iowa, 1862; have four children - Mina A., Amy C., Esther C. and Annette. Mrs. Gilmore is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and is President of the Women's Temperance Missionary Society, and is teacher in the Sunday school.
DAVID L. GRACE, editor and proprietor of the only Democratic newspaper in Crawford County, Kan., is the son of David Grace, a noted iron manufacturer in East Tennessee, and grandson of Col. Grace from Kilkenny, Ireland, who was killed at the battle of King's Mountain, while fighting for the freedom of the colonies in the Revolution. He was born September 1, 1826, on the Virginia and Tennessee State line, and claims a large connection among the Dorans, Donnellys, Smiths, Lowrys and Keyes in that section of country. For the purpose of studying the Cherokee language, when a boy of ten years, he attended Potter's Mission in Alabama, and when the Indians were removed to their reservation, he acted as interpreter for the soldiers in charge of the rebellious Cherokees under the leadership of Ridge, John Ross being the leader of the peaceable Cherokees. He tells many an entertaining reminiscence of his life at the Mission, and his journey westward illustrative of that people in those, to them, trying times. Upon his return he was placed in the Seminary at Marysville, Blount Co., Tenn., in the theological department of which Rev. Henry Ward Beecher was a student, that reflected great credit upon it as an institution of learning. In 1846, he married Elizabeth, third daughter of Maj. John Ward, and in 1850, moved westward to Edgar County, Ill. Not satisfied with his choice of location, and with his eye still turned westward, he visited the lands now within the State of Kansas, but was deterred from establishing his home more on account of the troubles existing among contending parties than because of the then uninviting features of the millions of acres of grass-matted prairies that lay before hem. He selected Jasper county, Mo., and two years afterward was appointed sub-agent for the Indians that were returned on the incompetent list, as persons incapable of properly transacting business for themselves in the organization of the Territory of Kansas. These Indians were scattered all along the Missouri and Kansas Line, but the bulk of them were at Wyandotte on the Kaw River. Many and interesting scenes and situations are depicted by him when "i' th' vein," of the stirring times spent among this people. At one time when in command of a company guarding the United States train to Santa Fe, Capt. Grace relates in a graphic and highly sensational manner, an attack upon them by Kiowas and Comanches, at Pawnee Rock, who had become emboldened by their success in killing Mr. Mason in charge of a Government ranch at Pawnee Fork. Being of an observant disposition, he ably describes the country through which he passed, and dwells upon the evidences all along his route of the ancient inhabitants of the western part of this continent. His position as sub-agent continued under the Lincoln administration. But his Union sentiments becoming offensive to neighbors in McDonald County, Mo., led to a duel between himself and Maj. Russell, Assistant United States Marshal, near Pineville, Mo., in which his friend, Capt. John Carroll, Mayor of Eureka Springs, Ark., participated, and they came off with flying colors. Finally, in consequence of this prejudice against his Democratic Union bias, he found it safer to remove his family to Cape Girardeau, Mo. In 1875, D. L. Grace was appointed School Superintendent in Crawford County, Mo., to fill out the unexpired term of the deceased school officer. Having spent a greater portion of his life in the schoolroom in the management of seminaries and central schools, Prof. Grace made such beneficial use of his opportunity to do a good work for the public schools, that he was elected two successive terms. The wife of his youth being in the grave, his children grown and moved to the great and growing West, he in 1879, led to the altar, Miss Nellie, eldest daughter of Thomas H. Roberts, editor and proprietor of the Crawford Mirror, and shortly afterward resigned his commission in order to take his wife southward for her health. A short stay at Eureka Springs, Ark., restored Mrs. Grace to the best of health, and he then entered upon the publication of the Erueka Springs Daily Herald; a financial crisis in business circles of that marvelously built city, caused him to invest in a Democratic journal in Girard, Kan., where he expects to end his days. Mr. Grace has living four children, now in Oregon; Thomas, a farmer, and a widowed sister, near Oregon City; George, managing a stock ranch, and William, a druggist. As will be seen, although born in the eastern part of the South, the subject of our sketch is pre-eminently a western man, and his life identified with the growth of the West. To-day he is occupying a home won from the great American Desert, over which he had traveled twenty-eight years before, in search of a home.
J. B. GRANTHAM, of Grantham Bros., grocers, was born in Illinois January 26, 1851, where he lived on a farm and received a business education. AT the age of eighteen he began farming for himself, continuing the business until 1880, handling cattle and hogs in connection with farming. He came to Kansas in 1880, and settled in McCune, Crawford County, being in the grocery business one year. He then went to Girard, engaging in same line of business. He owns a residence in Girard. He was married to Miss Hattie Hamlin, of Illinois, in 1872, and has four children - Alice C., William A., Oscar and James Walter.
WILLIAM GRANTHAM, of the firm of Wagner & Grantham, abstract, loan and real estate agents, was born in Illinois May 25, 1853. He received a commercial education, and at the age of twenty-one commenced farming for himself. He came to Kansas in the spring of 1879, and remained in the State prospecting about six months. He taught penmanship during the winter of 1879, and subsequently remained in the office of T. T. Perry, as clerk, for two years, at the end of that time engaging in his present business. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and was married to Julia A. Ashcraft, of Indiana, September 1, 1881. They have one child, May, born May 28, 1882.