KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS

William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


CRAWFORD COUNTY, Part 23

[TOC] [part 22] [Cutler's History]

SHERIDAN TOWNSHIP.

DR. WILLIAM H. ANDERSON, Beulah, was born in Holmes County, Ohio, in 1840, and received his education in the public schools of his native place. At the breaking-out of the war, he enlisted his services in defense of the Union, April 18, 1861, in Company G, Sixteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, in the three months' service, and participated in all the battles of that service. He received an honorable discharge, and shortly afterward re-enlisted in Company H, Eightieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war, when he was honorably discharged as First Lieutenant of Company H, Eightieth Ohio Veterans of Infantry. After the war he returned to his native place, and subsequently located with his people in Birmingham, Iowa, where he engaged in the study of his profession, under the preceptorship of Dr. J. N. Norris, of Iowa, and after a thorough course of study of four years, he engaged in the practice at Hillsboro, Iowa, and reputably carried it on for two years. He then located at York, Neb., and prosecuted in the practice there for three year; after which he came to Kansas, and after spending eighteen months in Cowley County, he came here, and has been actively connected with the practice of his profession here since. In February, 1870, he married Miss Sudie B. Brown, a descendant of one of the early Quaker families of Virginia. They have a family of three sons and two daughters--William Pitt, Ethel, Edith, Charles Sumner and Edwin Darwin. Since locating here, the Doctor has worked actively in the development of the social lie of his locality. In religion he is a Liberal, and a strong advocate of universal mental liberty.

WILLIAM S. BABCOCK, wagon and carriage making and general blacksmithing, Beulah, was born in Canandaigua, Ontario Co., N. Y., in 1826, and was reared there to his present business, with which he was actively identified in his native State for sixteen years. In 1858, he located in St. Clair County, Ill., where he was connected with the nursery business extensively for twelve years, latterly taking up his original business, which he carried on actively for ten years. In 1881, he located here, and has prosecuted his present industry since. He married in 1852, Miss Martha Wood, of his native State. They have a family of one son and two daughters--Allie (now Mrs. Orla S. Casad, attorney at law), George C. (of the firm of Babcock & Son) and Martha. He has been a member of the A., F. & A. M. society since 1858. He is a member of the Chapter of Royal Arch Masons. The family hold to the religion of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

A. W. BILES, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Beulah, was born in Stanley County, N. C., January 2, 1828, and was identified with farming there till 1867, when he located in Champaign County, Ill., and carried on farming actively there till 1876, when he located here. He married in 1855, Miss Mary J. Burrage, of Montgomery County, N. C. Her father was one of the most prominent cotton and woolen manufacturers of that part of the country. Mr. and Mrs. Biles have eight sons and four daughters--James Monroe, William H., Thomas F., Rufus A., Paul H., George A., John P., Robert, Sarah Maud (now Mrs. George Vermillion), Hannah, Effie and Frances Viola. Himself and wife were formerly active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His farm contains 220 acres of choice land, well fenced, watered and stocked; handsome dwellings and stables, and three acres in an orchard of a nicely assorted variety of fruits.

JAMES M. BILES, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Beulah, was born in Stanley County, N. C., in 1855. At the age of twelve years he removed with his people, who settled in Champaign County, Ill., where he spent nine years of his life in connection with farming. In 1876, he came here and has carried on farming actively since. In 1882, he married Miss Emma H. Bontee, who was born and reared in Macomb County, Ill. They have one little girl, Mary. He is an active member of the Vigilance Committee of this township.

ZENAS M. BOGLE, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Beulah, was born in Perry County, Ohio, March 11, 1833, and was identified there with the farming industry for twenty-eight years. He latterly engaged at merchandising in Mount Perry, which he retired from in 1882, and came here where he has been actively engaged at farming and stock-raising since. He married in 1858, Miss Margaret J. Barr, of Fairfield County, Ohio. They have a family of three sons and two daughters living--Artemas M., Emma S., Elmer P., Essie L. and Frank W., and have buried their fifth child, Holmes, in the United Presbyterian Cemetery here. The family are members of the United Presbyterian Church. His farm residence contains 160 acres of choice land, well improved, containing handsome dwellings, barns and stables, and an orchard of a nicely assorted variety of fruits. He has in all his landed estates 421 acres. Emma S. is married to Mr. Hugh F. Houston, farmer, of Baker Township. Artemas M is a teacher by profession, a graduate of Muskingum College, of New Concord, Ohio. The rest of the family are at home.

ARCHIBALD BURNS, Postmaster, dealer in general merchandise, Beulah, was born in Sparta, Ill., in 1836. His father, Stewart Burns, being one of the pioneers of Randolph County, Ill., and during his later life was an active and influential citizen of that county. He was a soldier in the war of 1812, for whose honorable service his widow is still drawing a pension. Archibald Burns was reared to the farming industry and educated in Union Academy, Sparta, Ill. At the age of twenty-four, he engaged in merchandising, and was actively identified with it in his native place until 1882, when he came to Kansas and engaged in business here. He had come here in 1890 and invested in land. November 16, 1865, he married Miss Mary Belle Hyndman, a native of Ohio. They have a family of two sons and two daughters--Clarence H., Alice Belle, Eva Mary and Albert C. Mr. Burns has always worked actively in the development of the social life of his locality. He was for twelve years an active member of the Board of Education for Sparta schools. The family are active members of the United Presbyterian Church. He has, besides his mercantile interests, four farms, aggregating 519 acres of land, all under general improvement.

ORLA S. CASAD, attorney at law and notary public, Beulah, was born in Clinton County, Ill., in 1846. He received his literary education in McKendree College, Lebanon, Ill., graduating from it in a thorough literary course in 1875. He then took up the study of law in Lebanon, and graduated in that profession in 1877, and was admitted to the practice of law in the Supreme Court of the State of Illinois, at Mount Vernon, in June of the same year. After graduating in law he located at Mesilla, New Mexico, and edited and managed the Mesilla Valley Independent with which he was reputably connected for one year; after which he came here and has been identified with the practice of his profession here since. In the meantime he has filled the principal chair of the Beulah school, as also of the Opolis school. He married in 1876, Miss Allie Babcock, a native of New York State. They have two daughters--Ethel and Nona. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. society. During the war he did active service in Company B, Sixty-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, from 1862 until the end of the war, when he was honorably discharged.

J. L. DOCKSTADER, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Cherokee, was born in Tioga County, Penn., November, 1838, and learned the trade of harness making, with which he was connected for seventeen years. In 1857, he left his native State and was identified with his present business in Iowa and Nebraska alternately till 1878, when he came here and located and has been actively connected with his present business here since. He married in 1861, Miss Caroline Baldwin, who was born and reared in New York State. They have two sons and two daughters--Sherman, Cora, Otis and Alta. His wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His farm contains 160 acres of valuable land, and is well fenced, watered and stocked, has good buildings and an orchard of 200 well assorted fruit trees.

ABRAHAM FULTON, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Beulah, was born in Westmoreland County, Penn., March 5, 1811. At the age of twenty-three, he went to Ohio and carried on farming there for a few years, after which he located near Fort Wayne, Ind., and carried on farming and stock-raising for twenty-two years. After spending six years in Illinois in farming, he came here and located and has been very actively engaged at his present industry here since. He married in 1836, Miss Elizabeth Taylor, of his native county, a relative of President Taylor. She departed this life in 1868, and is buried in Washburne Cemetery, Illinois, leaving a family of four sons and three daughters--James Taylor (died during a course of study at college, buried in Murray Cemetery, Indiana), Isaac Barnett (farmer), Hamilton Smith (soldier, died eighteen days after a three-years' war experience, buried in Washburne Cemetery, Illinois), Martha Jane (now Mrs. Pulse), Sarah Elizabeth (now Mrs. William Ramsey), Margaret Ann (now Mrs. John W. Jones) and Henry D. (of Iowa) The family are active members of the United Presbyterian Church. His farm contains eighty acres of choice land, well improved, good buildings and a nice young orchard.

WILLIAM DeHAVEN HAVELY, farmer and stock-raiser and horticulturist, P. O. Beulah, was born in Washington County, Penn. in 1818, and was reared and educated there. At the age of sixteen he engaged at steamboat building and was actively engaged in that industry for fifteen years. He then engaged at his present industry in Monroe County, Ohio, where he had previously located, and carried it on for many years. In 1866, he came to Kansas and located in Atchison County, but after a year he went to Platte County, Mo., and carried on his present industry for nine years, returning to Kansas in 1875 and locating here, where he has carried on his present business since. He married in Monrovia, Atchison Co., Kansas., in 1866, Miss Helen Augusta Little, who was born and reared in Herkimer County, N. Y. They have a family of three sons and four daughters--Carrie, Hattie, Alanson Tuttle, Wesley Kenney, Lora K., Stephen and Helen. The family are members of the United Presbyterian Church, formerly connected with the Methodist Episcopal Church. He has been a member of the A., F. & A. M. society since 1848, and is a member of the Chapter. His farm contains sixty acres of improved and, with nice buildings, and twenty acres of fruits of all varieties, large and small.

T. C. LYTLE, storekeeper for Keith & Perry, Scammonville, was born in Pennsylvania, February 25, 1843. He received a business education and came West to Missouri in 1865, where he taught school one year and then came to Kansas and taught school six years. He then engaged in the lumber business two years, and then in a store in Winchester three years. In September, 1881, he came to Scammonville and took charge of a store for Keith & Perry. Mr. Lytle is a member of the United Presbyterian Church, and was married to Miss Margaret I. Logan, of Indiana, in 1872. They have four children--Mary E., John I., William M. and Blanch.

THOMAS MERCER, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Cherokee, was born in Putnam County, Ind., in 1839, and was reared in Iowa. In 1859, he came to Kansas and settled in Nemaha County. He was there four years, when he returned to Iowa, but after a year's stay there he came back to Kansas, and after spending two years in Douglas County he came here and located. He has improved his present place to what it now is, containing eighty acres of choice land, is well fenced, watered and well stocked, good buildings and a handsome orchard of about 800 trees of a nicely assorted variety of fruits. He married in 1860, Miss Nancy McKee, who departed this life in 1862, and is buried in Lucas County, Iowa, leaving two daughters--Elizabeth and Catherine. On October 9, 1862, he married Miss Martha C. Wise, by whom he has two sons and four daughters--Mary Nannie, David, Rhoda, Eva and Willie. The family are members of the United Brethren Church.

HENRY T. POTTER, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Beulah, was born in Yorkshire, England, December 10, 1844, and came to America with his people in 1850, who settled in Morgan County, Ill., where he was reared and educated. He began the farming business upon a scanty competence (earned by hard work), and continued at it there till 1874, when he came here and located. Previous to his coming here, there had been a growing idea among the brethren of the Methodist Church (of which he was an active member), to settle a colony in Kansas, but one day seeing a finely represented caricature of the rich man who had settled in Kansas and of the poor man who had stayed East, he resolved to trust his fortunes at all hazards in Kansas, and he came with a determination that proved in a manner the most successful. During his short residence here he has by dint of steady and persevering industry secured for himself a handsome residence farm of 640 acres in Section 18, 160 acres in Section 10, 160 acres in Section 15, and forty acres in Cherokee County. He does an annual business in stock-raising and dealing of about 3,000 head, in cattle and hogs. His specialties in breeding are Short-horns and Poland China stock. He married March 14, 1871, Miss Anna Elizabeth Donald, who was born and reared in Morgan County, Ill. They have a family of three sons and three duaghters--Effie May, George Edgar, James Newton, Della and Stella (twins), and Arthur Garfield. He and his wife are active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is an active member of the A. O. U. W. society. Since locating here Mr. Potter has worked actively in the development of the social and industrial life of his locality, and has filled many positions of honor and trust.

JAMES M. TAYLOR, farmer and dealer in cattle and hogs, Section 31, P. O. Monmouth, was born in Kentucky in 1847. He came to Illinois in march, 1867, and settled in Christian County on a farm and remained until 1878, at which time he came to Kansas and located in Crawford County, on a farm of 160 acres, which he improved and is now one of the most highly improved farms in the county. It is a fine grain and stock farm, is fenced with wire and hedge, has a stream of running water, full line of all kinds of fruits and berries. Mr. Taylor is now stocking his farm with Kentucky Short-horn cattle. He shipped from Kentucky in 1882, a car-load of Short-horns, for which he found good and ready sale. He ships cattle from Monmouth, Cherokee and Beulah. He belongs to the order of Freemasons and A. O. U. W. Owns two farms--one finely improved, the other in and principally for pasture. He ships about 200 car-loads of stock yearly. He was married to Miss C. L. Adams, in 1873. They have one child, Lettie L. Mrs. Taylor is a member of the Christian Church.

MARVIN TROTT, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Beulah, was born in Pennsylvania in 1835, and was reared in Ashtabula County, Ohio. In 1857, he located in Shelby County, Mo., and carried on the profession of teaching till the breaking-out of the war, when he enlisted in Company A, Twenty-seventh Missouri Volunteer Infantry, August, 1862, and did active service in that regiment during the war, and was honorably discharged as Commissary Sergeant, which position he had filled principally in the service. After the war he returned to Shelby County and carried on teaching there till 1870, when he came here and located upon his land, and has carried on teaching and farming since. He married in 1857, Miss Mary Parker, who was born and reared in Trumbull County, Ohio. They have a family of two sons and three daughters--Charles, Lula, Seldon, Mattie and Matie. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is an active member of the A. O. U. W. society, Girard Lodge, No. 10. His farm contains 120 acres of improved land, well fenced, watered and stocked, good buildings and an orchard of 250 trees.

SHELDON T. TROTT, dealer in general merchandise, grain, and coal, Beulah, was born in Ashtabula County, Ohio, in 1849. He removed with his people, in 1858, who settled in Shelby County, Mo., where he was reared and educated, and was identified with farming actively there till 1877, when he came here and located, and subsequently engaged at his present industry, with which he has been actively identified since. He married in 1874, Mrs. Kate Townsend Lee Sinclair, a native of Ohio. They have a family of two daughters--Carrie May and Zua Townsend. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is an active member of the A. O. U. W. society, Girard Lodge, No. 10.

GRANT TOWNSHIP.

N. P. BROWN, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 4, P. O. Mount Carmel, was born in Sweden, in 1835, and was educated to the trade of shoemaking. In 1866, he came to America and followed his trade in Newark City, N. J., Chicago, Ill., and in Omaha, Neb. In 1867, he engaged at railway work and followed it for two years; he then went to Illinois and followed farming till 1871, when he came here and located, and has been actively connected with it here since. He was married in Illinois to Mrs. Hannah A. Allison nee Newtson. She was born in Norway, in 1836. They have a family of three sons and two daughters--Christopher Columbus Allison, John W. Allison, Susan Elizabeth Allison, Lena Julian Allison and John Powadon Brown. Mr. Brown has worked actively in the development of the social and industrial life of this locality since coming here.

The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His farm contains 160 acres of improved land, a nice orchard of well assorted fruits, and good buildings.

A. E. CHRISTINE, farmer, Section 35, P. O. Greenbush, was born in Illinois, in 1854, and raised in agricultural pursuits. He received a business education and continued in the agricultural business in Illinois until 1877, at which time he came to Kansas and located on his present home of eighty acres, which he improved. He has sixty-five acres in cultivation devoted to the interest of grain and stock. He has a good assortment of family fruits. He was married to Miss Mattie Horner, of Illinois, in 1878. They have two children--Jennie and Willis.

M. L. KIRBY, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 36, P. O. Green Elm, was born in Clarke County, Ohio, in 1853, and settled in Kansas, with his people, upon the present homestead, in 1870, where he has been actively identified with the farming and stock industry since. In 1877, he married Miss Elizabeth Cheatham, of Wisconsin. They have a family of one son and two daughters--Andrew James, Loretta Ellen and Mary Jane. Mr. Kirby has served this township as Trustee for one year, as Justice of the Peace for six years, and has filled other municipal and school offices. The family are members of the Roman Catholic Church. His farm contains eighty acres of improved land, a nice orchard of a good assortment of fruits, good dwelling, barn and stables.

GEORGE MILLS, farmer, P. O. Girard, was born in Orange County, N. Y., July 27, 1817. Was raised on a farm and received a common school education. Worked at wagon-making fourteen years in Onondaga County, N. Y. Went to Illinois, where he farmed fifteen years. Then to Kansas, in 1871, and located on his present home of 160 acres, which he improved, and has since been raising grain, stock and hay. He has a good assortment of fruits in bearing, on his farm. His farm is under hedge fence, has two good wells and two ponds of water. Was Town Clerk, Justice of the Peace and Commissioner of Highways, in Illinois, and Justice of the Peace in Kansas one year, and one of the School Board ten years. He was married to Miss Minerva O. Knapp, of New York State, in 1842. They have had eight children--William R. (deceased); Giles A., Harriet M. (deceased); Edwin A. (deceased); Elwin, George H., Geneva O. (deceased); and William R.

W. H. POST, farmer, Section 3, P. O. Girard, was born in Wayne County, N. Y., in 1829. Received a business education, and was raised on a farm. Went to LaSalle County, Ill., in 1853, where he remained on a farm fifteen years, then to Marion County, Ill., where he remained on a farm three years. Came to Kansas, in 1871, and located on his present home of 300 acres, and has since devoted his time to raising grain and stock. Has 100 acres in pasture; fine ponds and wells. His farm is under hedge and wire fence. Has a good assortment of fruits of all kinds. Was elected County Commissioner in 1882. Came into office January 1, 1883. Was married to Miss Cordelia M. Diven, of New York State, in 1854. Have three children--Emma J., Annie and William D.

DAVID A. VINCENT, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 30, P. O. Idell, was born and reared in McDonough County, Ill., and was identified with his present industry until 1871, when he came here and located, and has successfully been connected with his present industry since. In February, 1868, he married Miss Jennie A. Jackson, who was born and reared in Todd County, Ky. They have a family of three sons and two daughters--Mikey and Jerry, twins; Cassie, Allie and Jonie. During the war, he did active service in Company I, Seventy-eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, from 1862 until the close of the war, during which time he was in rebel prisons for nineteen months and seven days, having been taken prisoner at the battle of Chickamauga. Since locating here he has worked actively in the development of the social and industrial life of his locality. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His farm contains 320 acres of improved land, well fenced, watered and stocked, with good buildings, and has over 300 trees of assorted fruits. He handles about 300 head of stock annually.

BRAZILTON.

WILLIAM H. RYAN, Postmaster, Brazilton, dealer in grain and coal, was born in Omaha, Neb., August, 1857, and came to Neosho County, Kan., at an early age, with his people, who settled there, where he was reared and educated, and was identified with farming industry there till 1878. In that year he came to this county and settled on Section 36, Walnut Township, where he has been successfully connected with farming and stock business since. In 1880, he engaged in nursery business, as dealer, and carried it on till 1882, when he retired from it and established the grain and coal business, and was appointed to the Postmastership of his place the same year. He married in Neosho County, Miss Ella Songer, who was born and reared in Iowa. They have a family of three sons--Charles Henry, William Harrison and Clarence. The family are members of the Roman Catholic Church. His farm contains 160 acres of improved land, an orchard of 150 trees of nicely assorted fruits, and good buildings. William Ryan, father of the above, was born in London, Eng., and was reared in Canada; came to Omaha in 1854; lived there till 1870, when he settled in Neosho County, Kan. He married Bridget Daughney, a native of Canada. They have a family of six sons and five daughters--Ellen, now Mrs. John Starkey, D. L., John, William H., Margaret, now Mrs. W. L. Watson, Thomas, Mary Ann, now Mrs. John Linihan, Anastasia, Andrew and James.

[TOC] [part 22] [Cutler's History]