KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS

William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


CRAWFORD COUNTY, Part 20

[TOC] [part 21] [part 19] [Cutler's History]

WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP (TAYLOR - WILSON).

HIRAM TAYLOR, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. New Pittsburg, was born in Vermillion County, Ind., April 10, 1843, and was reared to farming. In 1863, he enlisted his services in Company F, Eleventh Indiana Volunteer Cavalry, and did active service till the end of the war, and was honorably discharged. After the war, he returned to Indiana and carried on farming for two years, after which he spent two years in Illinois and one year in Missouri. Coming to Kansas in 1873 and locating in this county, where he has been successfully connected with his present industry since. In 1869, he married Miss Eliza A. Carlton, who was born and reared in Kentucky, and who departed this life March, 1880, and is buried in the Shirly Cemetery, this township, leaving one son and two daughters living--Orion, Laura Etta, and Lucy Wilda. On September 26, 1882, he married Miss Tilda J. Haynes, who was born and reared in Iowa. The family are members of the Christian Church. His farm contains eighty acres of choice land; has good buildings, and a nice orchard of a well assorted variety of fruits.

R. D. TRASK, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 23, P. O. Girard, was born and reared in Ontario, Canada. In 1870, at the age of twenty-four, he came to Kansas, and settled in Washington Township, this county. Has since been connected with his present industry. In 1873, he married Miss Minerva M. Bennett, who was born and raised in Hancock County, Ind. They have a family of two sons and two daughters--Eddie Ross, Effie Angeline, Clara Myrtle and Simeon Alexander. Mr. Trask has been active in assisting in all matters tending toward the growth of the social and industrial life of his locality since coming here. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His farm contains 140 acres of improved land, well fenced and watered and stocked, good buildings and an orchard of nicely assorted fruits.

R. G. TUTHILL, butcher, Mulberry Grove, was born in Ohio in 1844, and was raised on a farm. He received an academical education, and was engaged in agricultural pursuits in Ohio until 1869, at which time went to Missouri, and continued in the agricultural line thirteen years at end of which time he came to Kansas, and located in Crawford County, town of Mulberry Grove, where he has since been engaged in the butcher business. He owns four lots, residence, and business property in Mulberry Grove. He was Justice of the Peace and School Director in Missouri. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and is a Trustee and Steward of the same. He was married to Miss E. Elliott, of Ohio, in 1867, by whom he has had three children--Nettie O., Albertie and James R. Mrs. Tuthill is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and belongs to the order of Good Templars.

JOHN E. WALKER, of the firm of McCullouch & Co., general merchants, Mulberry Grove, was born in Pennsylvania in 1836, and began farming in Illinois at the age of sixteen; continued five years, then went to Minnesota on a farm for sixteen years. He came to Kansas in 1872, and located at Mulberry Grove. He was in a store for one year, then opened and improved a farm of 206 acres, which he put in a high state of cultivation. He owns two farms in Missouri, just across the line. He owns a half-interest in forty acres of coal land in Kansas. He also owns an acre and a half in the town of Mulberry Grove, owns three houses in Mulberry Grove. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and belong[sic] to the Freemasons. He married Miss Elizabeth Haslip, of Pennsylvania, in 1856. They have four children--Clara E., Charles E., Frank W. and Jennie C. Mrs. Walker is also a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

ALFRED WILLIAMS, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. New Pittsburg, was born in Fleming County, Ky., November 30, 1820, and was prominently identified with farming business there, till at the age of forty-five, when he came here and located upon his present place of 160 acres, which he improved to its present condition. It contains choice land, is well fenced and watered and stocked, has handsome dwelling, and barns and stables, and an orchard of a nicely assorted variety of fruits, both large and small. In November, 1845, he married Miss Sarah Mauzey, who departed this life in June, 1819, and is buried in the family cemetery of the Mauzey's, in Fleming County, Ky., leaving two daughters--Martrha, now Mrs. Samuel Watson, of Indiana, and Sarah, now Mrs. A. J. Sanders, of Indiana. In 1851, September 18, he married Miss Elizabeth Mauzey, sister to his first wife. They have four sons and three daughters--John Robert, William, Jr., Charles, Mary, now Mrs. John Block, of the "Pittsburg Smelter;" Margaret, now Mrs. Orin Kyser, merchant, and Charlotta. The family are members of the Christian Church. He has been a member of the Masonic Order for the last twenty-five years; is a member of the Chapter. During his residence in Kentucky he served as militia Captain for many years. He was Postmaster here when it was known as "Strong Town" Post Office, and has been active in school official positions. He has never been dragged into a disgraceful court suit, and has only twice in his long life sued others.

WILLIAM WILLIAMS, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. New Pittsburg, was born in Fleming County, Ky., March 7, 1825. At the age of twenty-three, he took up carpentering business, and was identified with that industry and farming actively there till 1863, when he came to Kansas and carried on his trade in Leavenworth for a short time, after which he located in Jefferson County, in the farming business, which he carried on there for two years, coming here afterward, where he has been actively identified with farming since. He has, during this time, improved and brought into good shape for cultivation five different farms here. He married, in 1849, August 7, Miss Rebecca Wrenchey, of Fleming County, Ky. They have a family of three sons and one daughter living--Henry Richard, farmer; Amanda Virginia, now Mrs. John Eyestone, farmer; James William, farmer, and Tecumseh Sherman, at home. Himself and wife are both active members of the Church of Christ, and have been since and before their marriage. His farm contains 80 acres of valuable land, well fenced and watered and stocked; handsome dwellings and barns and stables, and an orchard of about 600 trees of a nicely assorted variety of fruits.

ALLEN WILSON, M. D. and surgeon, Mulberry Grove, was born in St. Louis, Mo., 1850. Raised in the agricultural pursuit. Received a classical education, graduating from the Missouri Medical College in 1879. Came to Kansas in 1876; located in Crawford County in the town of Mulberry Grove, at which place he has since practiced his profession. Dr. Wilson's father joined him in practice in 1880. Is a member of the Presbyterian Church. Is Clerk of the school district. Owns residence and business house in the town of Mulberry Grove.

BAKER TOWNSHIP (ABEL - GARDNER).

B. L. ABEL, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. New Pittsburg, was born in Steuben County, N. Y., April 9, 1831; was reared and educated there. At the age of nineteen, he came West, having learned the profession of mill-wright, and having done work at his trade in mills upon the Wolf and Fox Rivers for five years. After this he was identified in the same business, for seven years, upon the Mississippi. He then located in Northern Iowa, at McGregor, in the milling business, which he retired from after a few years, and located at Manona, where he was active in pubic life, having filled the office of Justice of Peace for some time, and dealt in real estate business. In 1860, he followed the popular excitement, and went to Leadville, Colorado, where he carried on merchandising for one year. He came East, and located in Whiteside County, Ill., and carried on farming industry there for fifteen years. He here married Miss E. A. V. Coe, born and reared in Erie County, Ohio, her father, being a prominent citizen of Whiteside County, Ill. They have a family of one son and two daughters--Mattie, Ben and Bird. He is an active member of the I. O. O. F. society and Encampment, and has served as Deputy Grand Master of this district, and of the A., F. & A. M. society. His farm residence contains 240 acres of improved land, well fenced and watered and stocked; good buildings, and an orchard of 400 nicely assorted variety of trees. Besides, he has three forty-acre lots in Section 29, adjoining town, and eighty acres two miles south of town, and has four lots in Block 17, in a generally improved condition.

STEPHEN ALBERTY, farmer and stock-raiser, and owner of "Amity Hill" farm, P. O. New Pittsburg, was born in Greene County, N. Y., in 1822. At the age of fifteen, he moved with his people to Niagara County, was identified with farming there until 1849; he then located in McHenry County, Ill., and carried on farming until 1870; he then came here, and has been actively identified with farming and stock business since, meantime carrying on mill building actively; is present proprietor of Cherokee Mills, Cherokee. He married, in 1845, Miss Margaret A. Buchanan, who was born in Seneca County, N. Y., in 1820, and was reared and educated in Niagara County. They have a family of two sons and one daughter--Helen Jane, now Mrs. O. E. Wagner, of Sheldon, Iowa; Miron H., farmer, and Elbert W. at home. Since locating here, Mr. Alberty has worked actively in the development of the public, social and industrial life of this locality. His farm contains 630 acres of improved land, well fenced, watered and stocked; handsome dwelling, barns and stables, and an orchard of over two thousand apple trees, and three hundred of other varieties, all well assorted.

ABRAM BAXTER, farmer and stock-raiser, and dealer and operator in coal mining, P. O. New Pittsburg, was born in Cold Springs, Putnam County, N. Y., March 17, 1836, and was educated to the profession of machinist at West Point Foundry. At the age of twenty-one, he made a trip through Illinois, Missouri and Kansas, and in February of the following year he located at Geneseo, Ill., where he was fourteen years actively identified with farming and stock-raising, paying occasional visits to this State in the meantime. In 1872, he came here, and located upon his present place, where he has been actively and successfully connected with his present industry since. He married, in Newburg, Orange Co., N. Y., October 8, 1856, Miss Hannah E. Westlake, of that county, a lady of fine literary attainments. They have a family of four sons and one daughter living--Sylvester Westlake, in lumber business; Leonard Cumming, painter; Norman, Eliza and Millard. He has been an active member of the Masonic order since 1863. During the war, he did active service in Company G, One Hundred and Fifty-sixth Volunteer Infantry; was honorably discharged. Since locating here he has worked actively in the development of the social and industrial life of his locality; has served his township as Treasurer, and has filled other municipal and school official positions. He was active in the establishment of the Girard & Joplin Railway, and served as one of its board of directors for several years.

W. L. BIGGS, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. New Pittsburg, was born in Madison County, Ohio, in 1835; he was identified with farming in that State till 1865, when he located in Chariton County, Mo., and carried on farming there successfully for twelve years. He then spent two years in farming in Johnson County, Mo., and came here and located upon his present place. He married, in 1858, Miss Sarah E. Hughes, of his native place. They have two sons and one daughter--Charles, Margaret M. and William E. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His farm contains eighty acres of valuable land; has good buildings, and an orchard of a well-assorted variety of fruits.

HENRY T. BOAZ, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. New Pittsburg, was born in Bourbon County, Ky., in 1830, and was identified with farming there till 1865, when he located in Vermillion County, Ill., and carried on his present industry there for eight years. In 1872, he came here, and has been actively identified with his present industry here since. He married, in 1854, Miss Mary J. Carleton, of Owen County, Ky. They have two sons and one daughter living--Henry Clay, Thomas Albert and Sarah Elizabeth, now Mrs. Aman Barton. His family are members of the Christian Church. His farm contains seventy-nine acres of valuable land, well fenced and watered; good buildings, and an orchard of 200 trees, of a well-assorted variety of fruits.

SIDNEY B. BROWN, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Cherokee, was born in Franklin County, N. Y., October 5, 1840, and was reared in Cass County, Ill. At the breaking-out of the war, he enlisted in Company F, Nineteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and did active service for fifteen months, when he was honorably discharged, on account of disability. He afterward enlisted in Company K, Fiftieth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, remained in active service till the end of the war, when he was again honorably discharged. He returned to farming in Morgan County, Ill., and carried it on there till 1870, when he came here and located upon his present place of 160 acres, which he has improved from a raw prairie to its present condition, containing good land, well fenced and watered and stocked; good buildings, and an orchard of a nicely-assorted variety of fruits. He married, December 25, 1867, Miss Sarah Shopmear, who was born in Greene and reared in Morgan County, Ill. They have four sons and one daughter--William F., Homer S., Ettie S., Lester S. and Gilbert Ovid, and have buried their second daughter, Florence. Himself and wife are members of the Seventh-Day Advent Church.

JAMES A. BURK, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. New Pittsburg, was born in Erie County, N. Y., January 26, 1833, and removed with his people to Whiteside County, Ill., in 1835, where he was identified with farming business till 1870, when he came here and located upon his present place of 260 acres, which he has entirely improved. It is choice land, and is well fenced and watered and stocked. It contains two orchards, aggregating over 600 trees, of a nicely-assorted variety of fruits, and good buildings. He married, in 1858, Miss Mary E. Briggs, who was born in Warren, and reared in Whitesides County, Ill. They have a family of one son and three daughters--Alida May, now Mrs. Albert Taylor, farmer; Nettie Belle, Alice and Ernest James. Mr. Burk has always taken an active interest in the development of his locality since locating here.

LOUIS BUTZER, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. New Pittsburg, was born in Detroit, Mich., November 21, 1837, and was reared near Geneseo, Ill. He was there principally identified with farming and teaching. At the age of twenty-four he went West and spent over five years through Nebraska, Wyoming, Nevada, California, Utah and Oregon, partly in connection with the overland stage company, and partly an individual enterprise. Returning to Henry County, Ill., he became actively engaged in farming and milling business, which after a few years he abandoned, and went to Arkansas, but soon after returned and subsequently came here, 1870, and located on present place, and has been actively identified with his present industry since. He married in Henry County, Ill., 1866, Miss Clara Light, who was born in Prussia and reared in Pennsylvania and Illinois. They have a family of three sons and two daughters--Charlie, Elizabeth, Daniel, Josie and Valentine. During the war he did service in Home Guards of Carson City, Nev. Since locating here he served upon the school board of his district for several years, also as Township Treasurer and Justice of the Peace. He is an active member of the A. O. U. W. His farm contains 250 acres of improved land, well fenced, watered and stocked, good buildings and an orchard of over 500 trees, well assorted variety of fruits. The St. Louis & Santa Fe Railroad runs through this place.

JAMES W. CHAMPION, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. New Pittsburg, was born in Cortland County, N. Y., May 30, 1830, and was identified there with cooperage business for many years. In 1856, he went to Champaign County, Ill., and carried on farming there for three years, after which he located in LaPorte County, Ind., and carried on farming successfully there for eighteen years. In 1878, he came here and has been actively identified with his present industry here since. He married in 1858, in Three Oaks, Mich., Miss Emily M. Whitney, who was born and reared in Schroeppel, Oswego Co., N. Y. They have a family of one son and two daughters--Ida L., teacher and assistant examiner of public instruction of this county; Viola M. and Freddie J., and have buried Perry E., Schuyler C. and Bertie E. in New Carlyle Cemetery, St. Joseph County, Ind. His farm contains 200 acres of valuable land, good buildings, and an orchard of over 200 trees of a well-assorted variety of fruits.

JOSEPH CHENEY, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. New Pittsburg, was born in Ontaria, Canada, November 12, 1827, and learned the carpentering and joining trade there. In 1849, he located in Michigan, and carried on his trade there three years, after which he went to Illinois, and was identified with his trade and farming there till 1866, when he came here and settled upon his present place of 120 acres, which he has improved to its present condition. It has good buildings, and an orchard of 200 trees of a well assorted variety of fruits. In 1848, he married Miss Sarah Ann Merriam, who was born in Ohio and reared in Canada. They have four sons--Thomas, George, Warren and Doc. During the war he did active service in Company K, Ninety-second Illinois Volunteers Mounted Infantry from August, 1862, till the end of the war, and was honorably discharged. He has served upon the School Board of his district since locating here, and has been active in other official positions.

ENOS R. CLARK, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. New Pittsburg, was born in Jefferson County, Ind., in 1842; in 1855, he moved with his people, who settled in Lee County, Iowa. In June, 1861, he enlisted his services in Company K, Sixth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and did active service until at the battle of Shiloh, where he was wounded, and was honorably discharged in July, 1862, and pensioned. After this he made two unsuccessful attempts to join volunteer corps, but did honorable service for two years n the State Militia of Iowa as Second Lieutenant of Company D. After the war he came here and located in November, 1865, upon an adjacent farm, but the following year he located upon his present farm of 152 acres, which he has improved from a raw prairie to its present condition. it contains choice land, good buildings, and an orchard of 400 trees of well assorted variety of fruits. He married, in 1863, Miss Elizabeth Hobson, who was born in Orange County, N. C., in 1845, and was reared in Henry County, Iowa. They have a family of four sons and two daughters--John G., Mary E., George J., Isaac E., Wilbur Dell and Minnie M. Since locating here he worked actively in the development of the social and industrial life of this locality.

NOBLE A. CORDRAY, farmer and stock-raiser and operator in coal mining, P. O. Litchfield, was born in Ohio, January 9, 1831. He was reared in Noble County, where he engaged in stock-dealing and rearing. At the age of twenty-two, he located in Madison County, where he carried on merchandising and his stock-rearing and dealing for several years. In 1867, he located in Cass County, Mo., and carried on farming and stock-rearing till 1871, when he came here and located, and has been actively identified with his present industry here since. He married, in 1872, Miss Clarissa Renicke, who was born and reared in Cedar County, Mo. they have three sons--Milton, Noble, Jr., and Isaac. During the war he did active service in Company K. Twenty-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, from July 22, 1861, till the following June, when he was honorably discharged on account of disabilities. He is an active member of the A., F. & A. M. Society. His farm contains 160 acres of improved land, good buildings and a young orchard. Underlying his land he has an almost unlimited supply of coal, which he operates, giving employment to about forty men and teams and other mechanical power.

JAMES CROWELL, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Cherokee, was born in Stanley County, N. C., April 18, 1827, and was identified with farming in that State till 1869, when he settled in McLean County, Ill., and carried on farming there till 1879. In the spring of that year he came here and located upon his present place, where he has been connected with his present industry since, latterly adding horticulture to his industries. He married in 1848, Miss Catherine R. Russell, of Union County, N. C. They have five sons and six daughters--James R., D. H. B., D. F., G. W., T. J., M. E. (now Mrs. Alfred Honeycut, of North Carolina), M. D. (now Mrs. Arthur Latham, of Livingston County, Ill.), Estella (now Mrs. Charles Gorailis, of the same county), J. M., Sarah and Mollie Ann. The family are members of the M. E. Church. His farm contains 160 acres of improved land, good buildings and a handsome orchard of a well assorted variety of fruits, both large and small.

JAMES R. CROWELL, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Cherokee, was born in Stanley County, N. C., July 26, 1851, and was reared there to his present industry. In 1869, he located with his people in McLean County, Ill., and was identified there with farming till 1880, when he came here and located. In August, 1876, he married Miss Nancy Hayes, who was born in Hardy County, West Va., July 24, 1857, and was reared and educated in that State and in Illinois. She is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His farm contains eighty acres of improved land, and has a good dwelling and stable and an orchard of a nicely assorted variety of fruits.

W. H. DUNLAP, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Beulah, was born in Muskingum County, Ohio, November 12, 1833, and was identified there with the farming industry till 1866, when he located in Johnson County, Mo., and carried on the farming industry actively there till the spring of 1881, when he came here and has been actively identified with his present industry here since. He married in 1861, in Fairfield County, Ohio, Miss Mary M. Brown, of that county, a lady of excellent literary attainments. They have a family of two sons and two daughters--Ella (now Mrs. Matthew Cuthbertson, farmer), Etta (teacher), Cameron and Owen. The family are active members of the United Presbyterian Church. He is one of the Board of Trustees of that church. He has also been active as school official since locating here. During the war he did active service in Company H, One Hundred and Fifty-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, for one year, and was honorably discharged. His farm contains 150 acres of good land, well improved and fenced, watered and stocked, handsome dwellings, barns and stables, and an orchard of a nicely assorted variety of fruits.

CAPT. SAMUEL FELLOWS, contractor and builder and Superintendent of the construction of the Granby Smelting Works, New Pittsburg, was born in Genesee County, N. Y., in 1829, and was educated in his native place to architectural mechanism and building, and carried it on in his native State for several years. In 1856, he located in Howard County, Iowa, and carried on his business actively till the breaking-out of the war, when he organized Company I, Ninth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and took command as first Lieutenant, from which he was subsequently promoted to the Captaincy, in which capacity he served actively till 1863, when he resigned his command. He continued the practice of his profession in Iowa till 1869, when he located in Neosho County and engaged in merchandising for a short time, retiring from it and engaging in contracting and building in connection with railway enterprises, with which he was actively identified for several years. In 1879, he accepted the Superintendency of the Rodgers Coal Company's mining interests at Litchfield, from which he retired in 1882, and resumed his profession. He married in 1851, Miss Lecierce Lewis, a native of Genesee County, N. Y. They have a family of one son and three daughters--Samuel M., Flora (now Mrs. E. P. McBride, Police Judge of Pueblo, Col.), Francis and Malinda. Capt. Fellows has been an active member and worker in the Masonic society, and since 1862 he has held the incumbency of Master in the Blue and High Priest in the Chapter, and is an active member in the Temple. He was, for several years, State Lecturer in connection with the Masonic society in the State.

J. C. FERGUSON, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. New Pittsburg, was born in Boone County, Ind., December 10, 1837, and was indentified[sic] there with the farming industry till 1865, when he located in Winona County, Minn., and carried on farming there till 1870. He then came here and located upon his present place, which he has improved to its present condition. It contains 160 acres of valuable land, is well fenced, watered and stocked, and has good buildings, an eight-acre orchard containing a nicely assorted variety of fruits. On December 24, 1858, he married Miss Emarine Kersey, of his native place. They have three sons and two daughters--William F., Elmer B., Charlie W., Ida Spencer and Hortense. The family are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. He has served upon the School Board of his district here and has been active in other local official positions.

FRANK R. GRAY, farmer and operator in coal mining, P. O. Litchfield, was born in Butler County, Ky., November 8, 1845. At the age of sixteen he enlisted in the Twelfth Kentucky Cavalry and did active service till the end of the war, when he was honorably discharged. After the war he returned home, but was unable to do active work for a year, on account of his disabilities, received during his war service, through wounds and exposure. He, however, engaged in coal mining there, but in 1867 he came here and has been actively engaged at his present industry since. On April 10, 1873, he married Miss Parmelia Jane Harmon, who was born in Iowa and reared in Missouri. They have two sons and two daughters--William Peter, George Washington, Sarah Alice and Mary. The family holds to the religion of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. society. He has ten acres of valuable coal land, and carries on his farming operations upon his old farm, which he lately traded for this coal land.

ANSIL H. GARDNER, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. New Pittsburg, was born in Oswego County, N. Y., August 6, 1836, and was identified there with the cooperage business, latterly spending seven years of his life in connection with the Erie Canal. In 1870, he came to Kansas and located upon his present place of 200 acres, which he has improved from a raw prairie to what it now is. It is well fenced, watered and stocked, has nice buildings and an orchard of a well assorted variety of fruits. He married, January 1, 1864, Miss Sarah E. Wright, of his native place. They have one son, Herme Vree. Harvey Wright, father-in-law of the above, is a native of Oswego County, N. Y., where he was for many years extensively engaged in farming. He latterly engaged in grain dealing in Buffalo and operated in that industry actively for three years, locating here with his only child, Mrs. Gardner, in 1870. In 1878, July 1st, Mrs. Wright passed away from this life, and is buried in the Black Jack Cemetery, Missouri.

[TOC] [part 21] [part 19] [Cutler's History]