KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS

William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


CRAWFORD COUNTY, Part 19

[TOC] [part 20] [part 18] [Cutler's History]

WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP (HERRIN - STOOPS).

ROBERT J. HERRIN, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. New Pittsburg, was born in Marion County, Ind., in 1854, was identified with farming industry until 1873; he then came here and located upon present place, and has improved it to what it now is. It contains 150 acres, well watered and stocked, good buildings and an orchard of 700 trees of well assorted variety of fruits. He married in Labette County, Kan., in 1878, Miss Rebecca E. Denman, who was born in Michigan, and reared in Iowa, and they have one daughter living. Himself and wife are members of the Christian Church. He has served upon the School Board of his district since 1876. He is the present incumbent of the clerkship.

F. HERTZELL, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 5, P. O. Girard, was born in Summit County, Ohio, in 1852, and was reared and educated in Columbus, Ohio. At the age of nineteen he engaged at the study of dentistry and after a thorough course of study of four years, he engaged in the practice of his profession in Columbus, and carried it on there till 1876, when he came here and established the practice of it in Girard, and was successfully identified with it there till 1882, when, on account of ill-health, he engaged at his present industry. He was married, in 1878, to Miss Laura Reed who was born in Tennessee, and was reared and educated in Livingston County, Mo. They have no children. They belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a member of the Improved Order of Red Men, and of the Anti-Horse-thief Association of Washington County. His farm contains eighty acres of improved land, good buildings, and a young orchard of a nicely-assorted variety of fruit trees.

JOHN S. HODGES, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. New Pittsburg, was born in Franklin County, Ky., February 17, 1836. In 1856 he went to Iowa, and was identified with farming in that State till 1870, when he came here and located upon his present place, which he has improved to what it now is. It contains eighty acres of choice land, is well fenced and watered and stocked, good buildings and an orchard of 350 trees of a nicely-assorted variety of fruits. He married in 1863, Miss Frances Luella Grimaley, who was born in Ohio and reared in Iowa. They have four sons - Charles Walter, William Ansil, James Albert and John Arthur. During the war he did active service in Company G, Tenth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, from August, 1861, till the following August, when he was wounded and honorably discharged and pensioned. Since locating here he has served upon the School Board of his district. He is the present Secretary of the Anti-Horse-thief Association of his township, of which he has been an active member for several years.

GEORGE H. HOISINGTON, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 8, P. O. Girard, was born in Warren County, Ill., February 28, 1840, and was reared and educated there, and was identified there with the farming industry till 1868, when he located in Cass County, Mo., and carried on farming till 1870. He then came here and located upon the present place, where he has been successfully connected with his present industry since. He married in Illinois, in 1868, Miss Eva Johnson, of Warren County. They have a family of two sons - Robert Lee and Walter Johnson. During the war, he did active service in Company H, Second Illinois Volunteer Cavalry from August, 1861, till September, 1864, when he was honorably discharged. Since locating here has taken an active interest in the growth and development of the social and industrial life of his locality. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He has been an active member of the A., F. & A. M. Society, since 1861. He is also a member of the Anti-Horse-thief Association, of Washington Township. His farm contains 160 acres of improved land, well fenced and watered and stocked, good buildings, and a nice young orchard.

JOHN KECK, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. New Pittsburg, was born in Fulton County, N. Y., June 27, 1825, and was identified with farming there till 1861, when he located in Central Illinois, where he carried on farming actively until 1876, when he came here and located upon his present place, which he has improved from a raw prairie to its present condition. It contains 240 acres of valuable land, is well fenced and watered and stocked, has good buildings, and seven acres of orchard, containing a nicely-assorted variety of fruits. In April, 1849, he married Miss Betsy Ann Staley, of New York. They have two sons and one daughter - Leander, LaFayette and Luella, now Mrs. George Grimsley. He is a member of the Anti-Horse-thief Association of this township. He has served upon the School Board of his district several years, and is the present incumbent of the Clerkship. He worked very actively in the Grange movement, during its existence here, and took a prominent part both in the local and State work.

C. KILIAN, farmer, Section 29, P. O. Girard, was born in Europe, in 1828. Came to the United States, located in St. Louis eighteen months, then went back to Europe four months; then came back to the United States, landed in New York, where he remained one year. Then to Alleghany City, where he remained eight years. Then to Ohio, where he remained five years. Then to Indiana, where he remained two years. Then came back to Cincinnati for two years. Then again to Indiana five years. Came to Kansas in 1873, located near Mulberry Grove, where he remained eighteen months. Then to his present home of 320 acres, which he has since run as a grain and stock farm; good line of fruits of all kinds; 160 acres under cultivation; farm under hedge, wire and board fence. Was married to Miss Cathrina Chamanour, of Baden, Germany. They have seven children - Henry, Christian, William, Margaret, George, Cathrina and Christina.

JOHN LESHER, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 11, P. O. Girard, was born in Washington County, Md., in 1835, and was reared and educated there. At the age of thirty-two he located in McDonough County, Ill., and carried on his present industry there until the spring of 1878, when he went to Terrell, Kaufman Co., Tex., and carried on farming and stock-raising until 1881. He then came here and located, and has been actively connected with his present industry since. He married, in 1863, Miss Amelia Flory, of his native State. They have three sons and two daughters - Nannie C., John Sherman, Isaac, Daniel Flory and Amanda Louise. The family are members of the Presbyterian Church. He is an active member of the A. O. U. W. Society. His farm contains 160 acres of improved land, stocked, fenced and watered; good buildings.

THOMAS McCULLOCH, of the firm of Walker & McCulloch, dealers in general merchandise and grain, Mulberry Grove, was born in Wisconsin, in 1852. Was raised on a farm and received a common school education. In 1871, he located on a farm in Mulberry Grove, and was on a farm three years. Then clerked two years, and went into the mercantile business in 1876, in connection with Mr. A. M. Brown, and continued two years, at the end of which time Mr. Brown died. He was then in the same business with Mr. J. C. Brown for one year. Then formed the partnership with Mr. Walker, as above. Mr. McCulloch owns a residence and a half interest in forty acres of coal land. He was appointed Postmaster, in 1876, which position he still holds. He was married to Miss Clara E. Walker, of Minnesota, in 1878. They have one child - John D.

SAMUEL McKAHAN, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. New Pittsburg, was born in Washington County, Penn., April 11, 1834, and was identified with farming there until the close of the war, when he came to Illinois and settled in Warren County, and carried on farming till 1875. He then came here and located upon his present place, and has been actively connected with his present industry here since. In 1855, he married Miss Adeline Ellot, who departed this life in 1868, and is buried in Spring Grove Cemetery, Warren County, leaving two sons and two daughters - Henry C., Samuel Ross, Venessa J. and Nancy Isabel. On October 13, 1870 he married Miss Helen Lair, who was born and reared in Warren County, Ill. They have one son and three daughters - Charles W., Mary E., Hattie S. and Alta E. His wife is a member of the Christian Church. His farm contains 240 acres of improved land, well fenced and watered and stocked; good buildings, and has two orchards, each containing a nicely-assorted variety of fruits.

JOHN W. MAGIE, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. New Pittsburg, was born in Madison, Morris County, N. J., December 22, 1844. In 1857, he removed with his people, who settled in Henderson County, Ill., where he was identified with the farming business for six years. He then engaged in the manufacture of brooms in Chicago, and continued at it for six years, at the end of which time he returned to farming and carried it on three years, when he again engaged at broom-making in Chicago, and continued it there till 1876, when he came here and located upon his present place, which he has improved to its present condition. It contains 160 acres of valuable land, is well fenced and watered and stocked, and has nice buildings and an orchard of a well assorted variety of fruits, both large and small. He married, in 1871, Miss Elizabeth Peel, a lady of fine attainments. She was born in Toronto, Can., and reared and educated in Drummondville, Welland County, Can. During the war, Mr. Magie did active service in Company C, One Hundred and Thirty-fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. In 1864, was honorably discharged. Since locating here he has worked actively in the development of the social and industrial life of his locality. He has served upon the School Board of his district, and is the present incumbent of the Treasurership. Upon the organization of La Coy Post Office, he was appointed its Postmaster, and continued reputably in that incumbency till its removal.

HON. WILLIAM HARVEY MAGIE (deceased), was born in Madison, Morris County, N. J., February 14, 1822, and was identified with the farming industry there for many years. In 1858, he left New Jersey and located in Henderson County, Ill., where he was actively identified with farming for six years, after which he located in Chicago in the broom manufacturing business, which he carried on for six years, returning to farming again at the end of that time. In 1874, he came to Kansas and located upon the present homestead, where he was actively identified with farming and stock-rearing till his death, which occurred March 9, 1883. He is buried on the homestead. During his life here he worked actively for the grown and development of the public, social and industrial life of his locality. He served his district reputably in the Legislative Assembly of the State, and was active in minor official positions. He was married, January 22, 1843, to Miss Eunice Shawger, of New Jersey, who, with a family of five sons and three daughters, survives him. The family are John W., William Henry, Alfred A., Parthenia A. (now Mrs. Alfred W. Thomas, of Burlington, Iowa), Mary P. (now Mrs. Stephen H. Bruen, of Terre Haute, Ill.), Aura (now Mrs. Charles F. Rodrick), Horace and Frank L. The farm contains 280 acres of valuable land; has nice buildings and an orchard of a well assorted variety of fruits.

JOHN MASKROD, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 13, P. O. Girard, was born in Italy in 1836, where he learned the trade of mason, which he followed there, and afterward in Switzerland for several years. After coming to this country he took up his present industry, with which he has been connected since. In 1876, he came to Kansas and located here. He married, in Switzerland, Miss Madeline Cowrie. They have one son and two daughters - Louis, Mary and Addie. The family are members of the Roman Catholic Church. His farm contains 160 acres of land, with dwellings and stables, and an orchard of over 200 fruit trees of a well assorted variety.

ANDREW J. MAY, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 7, P. O. Girard, was born in Allen County, Ohio, February 29, 1839, and was reared to the farming industry, with which he was identified there till 1865, when he located in Jackson County, Mo., and carried it on till 1876; he then came here and located, and has been successfully connected with his present industry here since, meantime carrying on the threshing business. In 1861, he married Miss Virginia Rumbaugh, of his native county. They have a family of five sons and four daughters - Diana, Lester, Della, Alice, Charlie, Eddie, Lillie, Claudie and Clarence. He is an active member of the Anti-Horse-thief Association. The family are members of the Christian Church. His farm contains 160 acres of improved land, well fenced and watered and stocked, with good buildings and a nice orchard of assorted fruits.

W. L. MILLER, farmer and stock-dealer, P. O. Mulberry Grove, was born in Pennsylvania in 1839. Was raised a miller. Continued in the milling business until the age of twenty-six. Came to Kansas in 1872, and located on his present home, which he improved and ran as a grain and stock farm. Was in the mercantile business in Mulberry Grove from 1872 to 1876. Owns 800 acres of farm and coal land. Belongs to the order of Freemasons. Was married to wife, Mary D. Saddler, of Pennsylvania, in 1863. Have six children.

HARVEY MOORE, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 2, P. O. Girard, was born in Nova Scotia in 1827, and was reared in Massachusetts, where he learned the trade of boot and shoe making, and carried it on for several years, latterly engaging in merchandising in boots and shoes. In 1880, he came to Kansas and located here and engaged at his present industry, with which he has been successfully connected since. He married, in 1856, Miss Sarah Littlefield, a native of Maine, who departed this life in 1879, and is buried in Beverly Cemetery, Massachusetts, leaving a family of one son and a daughter - Charles W. and Gracie G. Mr. Moore has worked actively in the development of the social and industrial life of his locality since coming here. He has been connected with the A., F. & A. M. Society for several years. His farm contains 240 acres of improved land, and a nice orchard and a good dwelling, barns and stables.

A. MULHOLLAND, of the firm of Mulholland & Dickey, general merchant and farmer, Section 36, P. O. Mulberry Grove, was born in Belfast, Ireland, in 1846. Was brought to the Untied States by his parents, in 1848. Was raised in Illinois on a farm. Came to Kansas in 1869. Located in Crawford County on a farm of eighty acres which he opened and improved, on which he raises grain and stock and fruit of all kinds. Was married to wife, Margaret Dickey, of Illinois, in 1871. Have two children - Lemuel and Josie.

T. R. POWELL, farmer, Section 15, P. O. Girard, was born in Pennsylvania in 1835. Was raised on a farm and went to Illinois in infancy and remained seven years. Then went to Iowa, where he remained until 1859, after which time he came to Kansas and located in Leavenworth, where he remained eight months. Then to Missouri, where he remained until 1874, at the end of which time he came to Kansas and located in Crawford County on his present home, which he improved, and has since run as a grain and stock farm; carries from twenty-five to fifty-five head of cattle. He is interested in the coal business. He is School Treasurer, and is Treasurer of the Anti-Horse-thief Association, and a member of the Church of God. He was married to Miss Elma E. Paget, of Illinois, in 1860. They have six children - John W., James L., Walter P., Laura M., Charles R. and Frank B. Mrs. Powelll is also a member fo the Church of God.

CHARLES F. RODRICK, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. New Pittsburg, was born in Henderson County, Ill., May 4, 1837, and followed farming there till 1877. In September of that year he came here and located upon his present place, which he has principally improved. It contains 100 acres of valuable land, is well fenced and watered and stocked; handsome dwellings and stables and granaries, and an orchard of over 200 trees of a well-assorted variety of fruits. Besides, has twelve acres of walnut trees, numbering over 700. In 1876, he married Miss Aura Magie, of his nativity, daughter of Hon. William Harvey Magie (deceased). They have a family of three daughters - Lula, Una and Mamie.

HARVEY J. RODREICK, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. New Pittsburg, was born near Petersburg, Md., September 30, 1824. At the age of eleven years, he removed with his people to Virginia, where he was reared and educated. He was identified with farming in Taylor County, Va., till 1854, when he went to Lucas County, Iowa. After carrying on farming there for five years, he went to California, and was for six years actively engaged in mining operations; returning to Iowa afterwards, he soon after moved into Montgomery County, Mo., where, after farming there for four years, and afterward two years in Cass County, he came to Kansas and located here, where he has been actively identified with his present industry since. On June 4, 1846, he married in Taylor County, Va., Miss Belinda Robe, who departed this life May 15, 1865, and is buried in Lucas County, Iowa. Here children living are Milton, in the lumber business in Colorado; David (whose sketch appears), Luvinah, Mrs. Simeon Armstrong; Jane, Hannah, Mrs. James Stewart Hamilton. He married January 18, 1871, Mrs. Martha D. Lakey, nee Miller. April 10, 1881, he married Mrs. Rosana Dexter, nee Beebe, who was born and raised in Athens County, Ohio. She has one son and one daughter - George William, farmer, and Lizzie Frances, now Mrs. Wiley H. Redd, farmer. The family holds to the religion of the Baptist Church. His farm contains 160 acres of valuable land, well improved, fenced and watered, good buildings and an orchard of a nicely assorted variety of fruit.

R. J. SANDERSON, farmer and stock-raiser, Sections 23 and 24, P. O. Girard, was born in Monroe County, Ind., in 1828, and was reared in Parke County, where he was identified with his present industry until 1869, when he located in Vigo County and carried on his industry for several years. In 1877, he came here and located, and has been actively engaged in farming since, in the meantime working as excursion agent of the Gulf Railway, in which industry he has located over 250 families in the State. He married in 1851 Miss Elizabeth Sale, of Parke County, Ind. They have a family of three sons living - Ira E., physician, James F. and George N. at home. He has worked actively in public life here; he has filled the Supervisor's chair of his township and has been an expounder of the Gospel in connection with the Baptist Church over thirty-one years.

COLUMBUS SHAFER, farmer, Section 26, P. O. Girard, was born in Ohio, 1841. Received a business education and farmed in Ohio until twenty-two years of age; was then in the saw mill five years; was then in Illinois on a farm eighteen months, then back to Ohio a short. Came to Kansas in 1869 and located on his present home, 380 acres, which he improved and run as a grain and stock farm. He has a good line of fruits of all kinds on his farm. Has splendid pond and well water, good residence and barns; carries from fifty to sixty head of cattle and from fifty to one hundred head of hogs. Has 130 acres under cultivation and forty acres of tame grasses. He is a member of the order of Freemasons and has been School Treasurer five years. He was married to Miss A. Flack, of Ohio, in 1874. They have three children - Estella, Delta and Hattie.

THOMAS SHAFER, farmer, Section 27, P. O. Girard, was born in Ohio in 1833. He was raised on a farm and received a business education. Went to Illinois in 1855, where he remained on a farm until 1862, at which time he joined the army, and came out in 1865; returned to Illinois, where he was on a farm one year; then to Missouri, contracting in the railroad tie department one winter; then to Iowa on a farm two years. He came to Kansas in 1870 and located in Washington Township, Crawford County, with his brother, where he remained and farmed and handled cattle for seven years, then bought his present home of 360 acres, which he improved and has since run as a grain and stock farm. He has 120 acres in cultivation and seven miles of hedge fence. He has a good assortment of fruits of all kins. Is Treasurer of his School District. Was married to Miss Mary E. Neet, of Indiana, in 1877. They have two children - Harry and Minnie.

PHILIP SHAWGER, farmer, P. O. New Pittsburg, was born in Morris County, N. J., March 10, 1814. Was identified there with farming until 1855; he then came to Illinois and settled in Bureau County. Carried on farming there until November 8, 1870, then came here and located on his present place, which he has improved from raw prairie to its present condition, containing 70 acres of choice land, well watered and stocked, good buildings and an orchard of well assorted variety of fruit trees and a goodly number of forest trees. He married, in 1845, Miss Julia Hart, of his native city. They have a family of three sons and four daughters - Stephen (farmer) Carrie (now Mrs. Frederick A. Gaskell, farmer), Benjamin (of Wyanet, Ill.), Eliza (now Mrs. Volney S. Wilkinson, merchant, of Duluth, Minn.), William, Josephine, now Mrs. William Magee, of Pittsburg), and Fannie (now Mrs. Alfred A. Magee, farmer). The family holds to the religion of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Since locating here, Mr. Shawger has worked actively in the development of the social and industrial life of his locality. Besides his residence, he has 120 acres in this township - improved land, under a good general state of cultivation.

JACOB SHOUP, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 36, P. O. Litchfield, was born in Knox County, Ohio, in 1840, and was reared and educated there. In 1863 he located in Champaign County, Ill., and carried on farming and stock-raising there till 1882, when he came here and located, and has been actively connected with his present industry since. In 1859 he married Miss Susanna Wagner, who was born and reared in Morrow County, Ohio. They have one son - George. Mr. Shoup pays special attention to the introduction and working of farm machinery in the line of threshers, reapers, cornshellers, etc., which business he made a specialty of in Ohio and afterward in Illinois. His family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His farm contains 120 acres of improved land, good buildings and orchard.

ENOS SIMON, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 5, P. O. Mulberry Grove, was born in Huntington County, Ind., in 1845, and was reared on a farm. In 1868, he located in Cass County, Mo., and engaged in farming until 1870, when he came here and located upon his present place, where he has very successfully carried on his present industry since. In 1870, he married Miss Charlotta A. Frederick, who was born in Bedford County, Penn., and reared in Bureau County, Ill. They have one son and two daughters living - Mary A., William Edward and Minnie May - and have buried their third child - Samuel Curtis - in the Simpson Cemetery, Lincoln Township. During the war he did active service in Company D, One Hundred and Thirty-seventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and was honorably discharged. The family are members of the Church of God. His farm contains 160 acres of improved land, well fenced, watered and stocked, good buildings and an orchard of 175 fruit trees.

CHARLES H. SLAWSON, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Litchfield, was born in Whitesides County, Ill., September 11, 1839, and was raised there. At the age of eighteen, he went to Nebraska and located at Nebraska City. He subsequently went to Colorado, and was engaged in mining operations till the war broke out, when he returned home and enlisted in Company I, Eighth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry, in which he did active service till January 8, 1866, when he was honorably discharged as First Lieutenant of Company I, Eighth Kansas Veterans of Cavalry, which commission he had held upon his veteranizing, October 8, 1864. After this discharge, he located in Henry County, Ill., and carried on farming there till 1870, when he came here and has been actively identified with his present industry here since, improving three farms in the meantime. In December 1866, he married Miss Lydia Briggs, who was born in Knox and reared in Whitesides County, Ill. They have one son and daughter - Alameda L. and Marion G. He has served upon the School Board of his district and has held the incumbency of Justice of the Peace since locating here, and has been active in the development of the social life of his locality. His farm residence contains 160 acres of improved land, good dwelling, barns and stables, and an orchard of a nicely assorted variety of fruits. Besides this, he has eighty acres of land in this township, in a well improved condition.

PLEASANT M. SMITH, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 2, P. O. Girard, was born in Overton County, Tenn., April 12, 1823, and was reared in Washington County, Ark., where he learned the trade of blacksmithing and followed it in that State until October, 1853, when he came here and settled where the present site of Arcadia now is. He worked at his trade there for several years, locating in this township in 1867, where he has carried on his trade and farming and stock-raising since. February 16, 1843 he married Miss Priscilla Taylor, who was born and reared in Missouri. They have a family of four sons and three daughters living - John D., James Albert, Elizabeth (now Mrs. Andrew Elston), Daniel M., Pleasant M., Jr., Ziller Ellen (now Mrs. Dellas Gould), and Frances Adeline, and have buried three daughters - Rebecca Ann, who was married to Mr. Alexander Hoskins, died, leaving a family of one son and four daughters, and Mary Lucretia and Delilah Jane. During the war Mr. Smith did active service in Company K, Sixth Kansas Cavalry, for over three years, from which he was honorably discharged. He has worked actively in the social and industrial development of his locality since coming here. His farm contains eighty acres of improved land, with good buildings and an orchard of 300 fruit trees of a nicely assorted variety.

FINLEY STOOPS, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. New Pittsburg, was born in Armstrong County, Penn., in 1834, and was reared in Marion County, Ind. He was there identified with farming until 1873, when he came to Kansas and located upon his presnt[sic] place, which he has improved to its present condition. It contains 240 acres of choice land, well fenced, watered and stocked, good buildings and an orchard of 300 trees of well assorted varieties of fruits. He married, in 1869, Miss Mary Moon, who was born near Greenfield, Ohio. They have a family of four sons - William, John, Frank and Reuben. He has served upon his School Board for the past six years. He has also 160 acres in Section 6 in a well improved condition.

[TOC] [part 20] [part 18] [Cutler's History]