|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
The first claim on the Winfield town site was taken on June 11, 1869, by E. C. Manning. Shortly afterward, W. W. Andrews, C. M. Wood and A. A. Jackson took claims adjoining. The corner-stone of all these claims being at a point near the present L. L. & G. depot, and yet marked by a post. Andrews had the northeast claim; Wood the northwest; Manning the southwest, and Jackson the southeast.
On January 13, 1870, the Winfield Town Company was organized with E. C. Manning, President; W. W. Andrews, Vice-President; C. M. Wood, Treasurer; W. G. Graham, Secretary; E. C. Manning, J. H. Land, A. A. Jackson, W. G. Graham and J. C. Monforte, Directors. The forty acres of the land belonging to Manning was laid out as the center of the new town, and Main street, 120 feet wide, laid out north and south of this land. A log house was put up on the main street by the settlers, and given Manning in exchange for his land taken by them. Settlement on the town site was slow, and when on August 15, A. D. Millington, now proprietor of the Courier, and J. C. Fuller, of the Winfield Bank, arrived and purchased Jackson's claim, the only buildings were the log store of E. C. Manning, which stood where the opera house now does; the log blacksmith shop of Max Shoeb, where Read's bank is now located; the drug store of W. Q. Mansfield and the hardware store of Frank Hunt. Millington and Fuller at once took active steps for the advancement of the town. For the various steps which led to their final success, we are indebted to the following account kindly furnished by Mr. Millington, who, as a leading character in the events of that day, deserves special credence:
In January, 1871, the survey of this county was made by the United States Deputy Surveyors, O. F. Short and Angell. This survey furnished a new excitement for the settlers, for the lines of the survey, necessarily, in the nature of things, could not conform with the claim lines. There was a crowd of settlers following each surveying party, with teams and lumber, and whenever a good bottom claim was shown by the survey to have no shanty or other improvements on it, the first one who got to it with lumber or logs took the claim. Some persons found their improvements surveyed on to the claims of older settlers, and thereby lost their claims. All this resulted in many contests at the land office, but it was remarkable that very little violence was resorted to.
The survey showed E. C. Manning's claim to be the northwest quarter, and J. C. Fuller's claim the northeast quarter of Section 28, in Township 32, south of Range 4 east. The town company's forty acres was the northeast quarter of Manning's claim. Immediately after the government survey, in January, 1871, E. C. Manning, J. C. Fuller and D. A. Millington formed themselves into another company, called the Winfield Town Association, and joined the southeast quarter of Manning's claim with the west half of Fuller's claim, as the property of the association. This added to the town company's forty acres made a town site of 160 acres, in square form, and D. A. Millington, who was then the only surveyor and engineer settled in the county, surveyed this town site off into blocks and lots, streets and alleys. Though the three above named persons had then control of most of the stock of the town company, yet there were several other stockholders in the company, so that the addition to the townsite being wholly controlled by the three men, made it a different ownership, and created the need of the new corporation, the Town Association.
The plan that had been adopted to secure the erection of buildings in Winfield, was to contract to give a deed of the lot built upon free, and the adjoining lot at value, when the said Manning and Fuller should be able to enter their claims at the United States land office. It was intended and expected, that when the land office should be opened, Manning and Fuller should each enter his entire claim, then deed the forty acres of town site to the town company, and the 120 acres to the town association, and these corporations should then deed the improved lots to the owners of the improvements, and sell them the adjoining lots at value. Such entries and dispositions had been made in the cases of the town sites of Augusta and Wichita, and it was considered the true way in such cases.
During the spring, new buildings continued to be built on the town site, stores and shops were filled, and dwellings occupied. It took a long time, or until July 10, for the notes, plats and records of the survey to be made out and recorded in the offices at Washington and Lawrence, and get ready to open the land office at Augusta. During this time, the occupants of the town site began to get restless, and demand that the companies should give them more lots free. Some urged that the companies had no more right to the town site than any one else, and that all unimproved lots legally belonged to the owners of the improved lots, to be divided pro rata. These disaffected parties became so numerous as to embrace a great proportion of the seventy-two owners of buildings on the town site. They procured the services of a great land lawyer of Columbus, named Sanford, made an assessment, and collected money to carry out their measures, held meetings, in which excited speeches were made against the two corporations, and were prepared, at a moment's notice, when the land office was open, to rush in and enter the town site, through the Probate Judge, who should distribute lots to the inhabitants, according to their theory. Thus commenced the famous Winfield town site controversy.
On Sunday evening, July 9, the town association got private information that the plats would arrive at Augusta that evening. They, with T. B. Ross, Probate Judge, were in Augusta at sunrise on the next morning, the 10th, and the Winfield town site was the first land entry in this county. Having made their other entries, they returned. During the next night, the citizens, having heard of the arrival of the plats, went up, in considerable force, to enter the town site, but they did not do it. After the entry, Judge Ross appointed W. W. Andrews, H. C. Loomis and L. M. Kennedy Commissioners, under the law, to set off to the occupants of the Winfield town site, the lots to which they were entitled, according to their respective interests. The time of meeting was advertised, and all parties met September 20. The town companies presented to the Commissioners a list of the lots, showing what lots were improved, and who were entitled to them, and showing that the vacant lots were the property of the two companies respectively. The citizens spoke only through their lawyer, and demanded that the vacant lots should be divided up among the occupants, in proportion to the value of their buildings. After a full hearing, the Commissioners decided according to the schedule of the companies, and Judge Ross immediately executed deeds accordingly. This decision was accepted by a large part of the citizens, who, to prevent further trouble, executed quit-claim deeds of all the vacant lots to the two companies. But Sanford was irrepressible, and a suit was commenced in the District Court, by Enoch Maris, A. A. Jackson et al. to set aside the deeds from the Probate Judge to the companies as void. The case was thrown out of court on demurrer by Judge Webb, commenced again, tried on demurrer before Judge Campbell, who over-ruled the demurrer, and promptly rendered judgment for the plaintiffs. The case was carried to the Supreme Court on error and reversed in the spring of 1873. Another case was commenced by ten of those who had quit-claimed, ran the course of the courts, and failed in the end.
It seems to have been an understood matter that the point where Winfield stands would some day be occupied by a town. In June, 1869, when C. M. Wood had his stockade on the west bank of the river opposite the town site, he thought of the location of a town, and later, promised Mrs. Wood that it should be named by her. After some deliberation the name of Legonda was selected and the settlement was thus known for some time. W. W. Andrews, who took a claim in 1869, and went back to Leavenworth for his family, used as a strong argument in inducing Mrs. Andrews to come to the frontier the privilege of naming the town in honor of Winfield Scott, a Baptist minister of Leavenworth. Mrs. Andrews' code at that time was that the town should be so named, $500 raised for the support of a church, and Rev. Mr. Scott should come and be its pastor. On her arrival at the settlement and learning that it already bore the name of Legonda, Mrs. Andrews expressed bitter disappointment and a desire to return, and was with difficulty made to see that no name could be finally adopted until voted upon by the settlers. An election was called and a formal ballot taken, and a dance followed. Formal ballot boxes were not in vogue, and a chest, to which was affixed the lock of Mrs. Andrews' washstand drawer, was used. There is no evidence that there were two keys to that lock, but Mrs. Andrews remarks with a twinkle in her eye, that while they were dancing Legonda lost the day. A count of the ballots resulted in favor of Winfield, which has ever since been the accepted appellation.
A post office was established at Winfield in May, 1870, with E. C. Manning as Postmaster. The office was in an old log store which stood where the opera house is now located. This building was removed in 1878 to the rear of the Telegram building, and served a year later as the starting point of the fire which swept the corner of the block. The post office moved from the log store to T. K. Johnson's, then back to the first position, whence it was moved again, occupying several places on Ninth avenue and finally reaching its present quarters. Manning held his position but a short time, being followed the same year by A. W. Tousey. T. K. Johnson took the office in 1871, James Kelley in 1875, and D. A. Millington in 1879.
CITY GOVERNMENT, SCHOOLS AND CHURCHES.
On February 22, 1873, Winfield was incorporated as a city of the third class. On March 7, the first city election took place, and resulted as follows: W. H. H. Maris, Mayor; J. W. Curns, Clerk; A. A. Jackson, Police Judge; M. L. Robinson, Treasurer; C. W. Richmond, Marshal; J. M. Alexander, Attorney. The Council consisted of O. F. Boyle, C. A. Bliss, J. D. Cochran, H. S. Silver and S. C. Smith. Mayors since that time have been: S. C. Smith, 1874; D. A. Millington, 1875-76; R. L. Walker, 1877; J. B. Lynn, 1878; John B. Lynn, 1879; M. G. Troup, 1881. City Clerks of this period have been: B. F. Baldwin, 1874-75-76-77. Police Judges: N. H. Wood, 1874; M. G. Troup, 1875; J. W. Curns, 1876-77; W. M. Boyer, 1878-79.
On February 27, 1879, the city having been found to have a population of over 2,000, it was declared by the Governor a city of the third class. It was then divided into two wards, the First taking in all east of Main street, and the Second all West of that line.
Of the early educational history of the city, but little can be said. Winfield had no long stretch of years scantily supplied with educational facilities. Hardly was it a town before a fine stone school house was erected, and thorough instruction accorded to all. The first settlement in the county was in 1870, and 1871-72 saw the erection in Winfield of a stone school building, costing $10,000. Here E. P. Hickok taught until 1875, when he was succeeded by A. B. Lemon. W. C. Robinson taught in 1876 and 1877; G. W. Robinson in 1878-79, an E. T. Trimble has been Principal from 1880 to the present time. In 1878, the long wooden building in the northwest corner of the First Ward school block, was built to accommodate the primary department and ease the overflowing main building. Prior to this for two years, the basement of the Presbyterian Church and such buildings as could be rented, had been in use. After the division of the city into wards, the old school building was entirely remodeled, and now forms the north wing of the First Ward school. This building cost $6,000 and is one or the most commodious to be found in the State. It is of the limestone found near the city, and has four rooms. The teachers in this ward are: E. T. Trimble, Principal, Mrs. E. T. Trimble, Miss S. J. Clute, Miss Mattle Gibson, Miss Alice E. Dickie, Miss T. E. Goldsmith, Miss Rose Rounds. In the long wooden building is the primary department taught by Mrs. W. B. Caton and Miss Mary Bryant.
The school building in the Second Ward was also built in 1880, at a cost of $6,000. It is the exact counterpart of the First Ward School and has four rooms. It is taught by Miss M. E. Hamill, Miss E. McCrippen, Miss Ella S. Kelly and Miss A. Klingman. Its enrollment is 250, that of both schools 893.
The Methodist Church was organized in the spring of 1870, by B. C. Swartz, who became its pastor, remaining until some time in 1871. He was followed by J. O. Smith, 1871-72; Williams, 1872-73; J. W. Lowry, 1873-74; J. McQuiston, 1874-75; C. J. Adams, September, 1875; E. W. Kanaval, March, 1876; J. L. Rusbridge, June, 1876; J. A. Hyden, March, 1879; H. A. Tucker, March, 1881; Paul F. Jones, March, 1882. When organized, the society had a membership of eleven. Meetings were for a long time held in a little frame church, on Ninth avenue, now used as a residence. The present church edifice was erected in 1875, at a cost of $12,000. It is of stone, and when first erected had a spire 100 feet high of the same material. This, however, soon yielded to the force of a Kansas zephyr. The present church membership is fully 300. A neat parsonage stands on the church lot. A Sabbath school, organized at. time as the church, has an average attendance of 200, and is in charge of Mr. S. H. Jennings.
The Baptist Church was organized on November 27, 1870, by Rev. Winfield Scott, in honor of whom the city is named. Rev. E. P. Hickok supplied the society for about a year, and was followed by Rev. N. L. Rigby, who remained until 1875. The church was then supplied by Rev. A. F. Randall, and October 1, 1878, Rev. J. Cairns, the present pastor, took charge. The church membership has risen from eleven in 1871 to 180 in 1882. One of the first acts of the society was to erect the old stone church, which was used from its completion in 1872, to 1878. Soon after Mr. Cairns' arrival, services were held in the opera house, where they continued until the completion of the new church, In 1882. This building is said to be the finest in southern Kansas. It is of the fine limestone found about two miles from the city, cost $14,000, and seats 700. It is fitted throughout with St. Louis opera chairs, enabling attendants to combine bodily ease with mental exercise. A Sabbath school was organized in April, 1878, with J. McDermott Superintendent, and an average attendance of seventy. It now has over 200, and is in charge of E. T. Trimble.
The Christian Church was organized on the fourth Sunday of September, 1872, with a membership of thirty-one. P. F. Whittaker and Henry Hawkins were elected Elders. On the fourth Sunday of October, Rev. Erastus Lathrop began revival meetings, which lasted ten days, and added fifteen members to the society. The first pastor was Rev. Mr. Womack, who came in 1872. He was followed by J. H. Irvin, H. D. Gans, John Blevins, H. D. Gans, T. L. Cartwright, H. D. Gans, F. M. Rains, and the present pastor, H. D. Gans, who is now serving for the fourth time. The early services were held in the Baptist Church, but in 1873 the society built small church of their own, at a cost of $1,000. A new church, 36 x 54, and costing $2,500, was begun in December, 1882, and will be completed in 1883. The church enrollment is now 125. A flourishing Sunday school, organized in 1872, is attached to the church, has a membership of seventy-fire, and is in charge of T. R. Bryan.
The Presbyterian Church was organized on January 19, 1873, by Rev. A. R. Naylor, of the Home Missionary Society. It had no regular pastor, but was assigned to Mr. Naylor, who had come to the State in the hope of regaining his health. May 23, the work was found too arduous, and Mr. Naylor retiring, the church was without a pastor until July, when Rev. J. E. Platter, the present incumbent, arrived. At that time, the society consisted of the seven charter members, but twenty-two others who had been members of the church in other places, but had never formally lost membership, were placed upon the rolls. John P. McMullen and William Greenlee were elected Ruling Elders, and the church put in working order. The work of organization had been conducted and the first separate services were held in the Hudson building, used as a carriage paint shop. This was fitted up with chairs and rejected school benches. From this place, the society moved to the court house, where services were held until the church building was ready for occupancy. This was on September 23, 1877. The church had been some time in building, the basement being first finished, and used not only for devotional purposes, but by a part of the city school. As completed, the structure is well worthy of any city. It is of brick, with a stone basement, has a seating capacity of 400, and cost $8,000. A Sabbath school was established in September, 1877, under the superintendence of the pastor, and with an attendance of 100. It is now a charge of Mr. T. B. Myers, and has an average attendance of fully 200.
The African American Episcopal Church was organized in 1879, by Rev. A. H. Daily. who, although located at Wichita, became its pastor. He was followed by W. F. Hegeman, 1880; Rufus Parks, 1881; Mr. Wooten, 1882. A church edifice was erected in 1880, at a cost of about $600. The church membership is now twenty-fire. A Sabbath school was held at private houses some time before the organization of the church. It is now in charge of L. C. Scott, and has an average attendance of thirty.
Grace Episcopal Church was organized in April, 1880, with a membership of twenty. Rev. S. M. Fry was selected as rector, but remained only a few months, giving place to Rev. Charles H. Canfield, who resigned in 1882, leaving the church without a pastor. The services of the church have always been held in the District Court room. A Sabbath school was organized in October, 1880, under the superintendence of L. H. Owen. It in now in charge or W. H. Smith, and has an average attendance of fifty.
THE PRESS AND SOCIETIES.
The Cowley County Censor was the first paper issued in the county. Its first issue saw the light on August 13, 1870. A. J. Patrick, the sponsor of this new enterprise, had at the start no means of printing his paper, and the first two issues came from the Augusta office. The third, however, was printed in Winfield, from its own material, and on the historic Meeker press, the first printing press ever operated in Kansas. The Censor was a six-column folio, of strong Republican views. June 3, 1371, Patrick sold out to Leland J. Webb, who, on August 15, formed a partnership with W. F. Doud, now of the Eureka Republican. Three weeks later, Doud sold out to E. G. Nichols, and January 6, 1872, the paper was sold to W. H. Kerns, who discontinued it.
The Winfield Messenger was started on January 13, 1872, as the direct successor of the Censor, and was printed from the same material. On July 4, 1872, Yale Brothers purchased the office of W . Kerns, and ran the paper until December 5, when it died a natural death.
The Cowley County Telegram was first issued at Tisdale on September 12, 1872, under the management of W. M. Allison. Five numbers were issued at Tisdale, and the office removed to Winfield. January 1, 1873, Arthur H. Hane bought an interest in the paper, but, becoming dissatisfied with the business, sold out March 20, to A. B. Stineberger. He in turn wearied of the uphill work of frontier newspaper life, and retired on July 3. Allison then ran the paper alone until 1873, when Bert Crapster bought an interest, and a daily edition was established. Two ears later, Crapster sold out, and Charles C. Black, after a few weeks' partnership with Allison, purchased the entire business. Extensive improvements were at once it made, a fine stone building erected, and one of the best offices in the State procured. Winfield was, however, as yet too small for the support of a good daily paper, and November 1, 1881, the Telegram vanished from the scene, the material was sold to A B. Stineberger, who used it on the daily and weekly Courant. On July 10, 1882, the Telegram was revived on the ruins of the defunct Courant by Sam E. Davis and George Rembaugh. It is now a nicely printed Democratic weekly, of forty-eight columns.
The Winfield Courier appeared on January 1, 1873, hearing the names or R. S. Waddell & Co., as publishers. Waddell was manager, and J. C. Little, local editor. On March 27, of the same year, the office changed hands, James Kelly, now of the Sumner County Wellingtonian becoming editor, and Vinnie B. Beckett, local. This arrangement lasted until July 1, 1875, when Wirt W, Walton took the local page. On November 11, of the same year, Kelly sold out to E. C. Manning. On August 16, 1877, the office was sold to D. A. Millington and A. B. Lemon, who took the editorial and local page respectively. January 1879, saw the last change, which placed the paper in the hands or the Courier company, and while retaining Mr. Millington, gave the local page to Edward P. Greer, who still holds it. The Courier office is now one of the most complete in the southern part of the State, having a large variety of type, and besides the usual supply of job presses, a large power press for newspaper and poster work. The paper is a nine-column folio, of excellent make up, and is a worthy exponent of the county and city.
The Plow and Anvil.-- This paper was started on November 19, 1874, by Col. John M. Alexander. On April 22, 1875, it was sold to Amos Walton and C. M. McIntire, who in March, 1876, changed its name to the Cowley County Democrat. On August 16, of the same year, the material was sold to W. M. Allison, who took it out of the county.
The Cowley County Courant was, as has been said, printed on the Telegram material. Both daily and weekly editions were printed, and the hopes if its publisher, A. B. Stineberger, ran high, but after preaching Republicanism from November 1, 1881, to July, 1882, it yielded to the inevitable, and "passed over to the great majority " of frontier dailies.
Adelphi Lodge, No. 110, A., F & A. M., was organized on October 17, 1872, with twenty-four charter members, and the following officers: J. S. Hunt, W. M; A. H. Green, S. W.; E. Maris, J. W.; A. Jackson, Secretary. It now has a membership of ninety. Its officers are: J. S. Hunt, W. M.; M. G Troup, S. W.; L. D. Zenor, J. W.; J. C. McMullen, Treasurer; E. T. Trimble, Secretary. Meetings are held in Masonic Hall, on the first and third Tuesdays of each month.
Winfield Chapter, No. 31 R. A. M., was instituted on October 21,1875, with twenty-four members, and the following officers: M. L. Read, H. P.; M. C. Baker, K.; A. Howland, Scribe; W. C. Robinson, C. H.; John D. Pryor, Secretary; W. G. Graham, R. A. C. The chapter now chapter now numbers thirty-five. Meetings are held in Masonic Hall, on the second Monday of each month. Property valuation about $150. The present officers are: S. C. Smith, H. P.; S. H. Martin, K.; J. S. Mann, Scribe; M. L. Read, Treasurer; W. G. Graham, S.; H. Brotherton, R. A. C.
Winfield Commandery, No. 15, K. T., was organized August 6, 1879, with a membership of fifteen, and the following official roll: W. G. Graham, E. C.; J. L. Huey, G.; R. R. Jilson, C. G.; J. Cairns, Prelate; J. E. Conklin, S. W.; John D. Pryor, J. W.; C. C. Black, Treasurer. The organization now has twenty-seven members, and is officered as follows: W. G. Graham E. C.; J. C. McMullen, G.; A. D. Hendricks, C. G.; J. Cairns, Prelate; C. C. Black, S. W.; S. A. Cook, J. W.; S. H. Myton, T.; J. D. Payor, Recorder. Meetings are held in Masonic Hall, on the third Friday of each month.
Winfield Lodge, No. 479, K. of H., was organized on February 20, 1877, with seventeen charter members, and the following officers: W. G. Graham, P. D.; A. Howland, D.; W. C. Robinson, V. D.; B. F. Baldwin, Treasurer; George Robinson, F. R. This in the first lodge of this order organized in the State, and was instituted by W. G. Graham, Supreme Deputy. It now has sixty-five members, and has thus far had no deaths. Its present officers are: W. C. Root, P. D.; R. E. Wallis, D.; C. B, Austin, V. D.; T. R. Bryan, Treasurer; A. P. Johnson, F. R.; W. G. Graham, R. Meetings are held on the first and third Mondays of each month in Masonic Hall. The society has now funds to the amount of $200.
Winfield Lodge, No. 18, A. O. U. W., was organized August 30, 1879, with a membership of twenty-three, and the following officers: C. A. Bliss, P. M. W.; B. M. Legg, M. W.; G. S. Hyde, Foreman; A. Stewart, Overseer; J. Hoenscheidt, R,; G. S. Mansor, Recorder; L H. Ope, F.; W. M. Allison, Guide. The lodge now has a membership of sixty-three, and the following officers: C. C. Green, M. W.; W. J. Hedges, Foreman; A. B. Snow, O.; E. F. Blair, Recorder; J. F. McMullen, F.; G. S. Mansur, R.
Cowley Legion, A. 0. U. W., was organized in June, 1882, with a membership of eighteen. Its charter officers, who still hold place were: W. Whiting, S. C.; W. B. Caton, V. C.; F. W. Berkey, Secretary; C. A. Bliss, Treasurer; E. T. Trimble, Chaplain. The legion now has twenty-six members. Meetings are held in Odd Fellows Hall on the second and fourth Mondays of each month.
Winfield Lodge, No. 20, I. O. G. T., was organized October 6, 1879, with twenty members and the following officers: J. Cairns, C. T.; Maggie Dever, V. T.; E. T. Trimble, Chaplain; W. J. Wilson, Secretary. The society now has a membership of ninety and the following officers: S. B. Davis, C. T.; Mrs. N. J. Lundy, V. T.; Miss Ella Kelly, Secretary; D. C. Beach, F. S.; J. C. Rowland, Chaplain; Mrs. Anna S. Hamilton, Treasurer. Meetings are held in Odd Fellows Hall on Friday of each week.
Kansas Council, No. 540, Royal Arcanum, was organized November 17, 1880, with twenty-four charter members and the following officers: A. Howland, R., W. G. Graham, P. R.; W. C. Root, Secretary; C. H. W. G. Graham, F. S.; S. H. Myton, Treasurer. The council has not as yet suffered loss by the death of members, and numbers thirty-four. Meetings are held on the second and fourth Tuesdays of each month in R. A. Hall. The property of the lodge is $175. Its present officers are A. P. Johnson, R.; W. J. Hodge, V. R.; W. C. Root, Secretary; W. G. Graham, F. S.; S. H. Myton, Treasurer.
Winfield Council, National Union, was organized on October 27, 1981, with seventeen charter members and the following officers: A. Howland, P.; F. Barclay, ex-P.; Charles F. Bahntge, V. P.; J. Nixon, F. S.; J. E. Howie, Treasurer. The union now numbers forty-seven, and is officered as follows: R. E. Wallis, P.; A. Howland, ex-P.; Josephine C. Austin, V. P.; Fannie P. Graham, Speaker; Mary V. Newton, S.; W. G. Graham, F. S.; J. E. Howie, T.; Fannie C. Jones, Chaplain. Meetings are held in Royal Arcanum Hall on the first and third Tuesdays of each month. Thus far the union has bad no death losses, and has in the treasury something over $100.
Knights of Pythias.-- The lodge of this order in this city was first named Walnut Valley, No. 70, but was shortly after re-christened as "Chevalier," retaining its number. Its charter was granted November 14, 1882, and the officers then elected are still in place. They are: Quincy A . Glass, C. C.; C. C. Green, V. C.; P. Jones, Prelate; George H. Buckman, K. R. S.; William Whiting, M. F.; L. B. Stone, M. E.; P. H. Albright, M. A. Meetings are held in Odd Fellows Hall on Tuesday of each week. The property of the lodge consists of regalia and fixtures to the value of about $200. The society had thirty charter members.
The Building and Loan Association was organized on January 1, 1882, with H. G. Fuller, President; A H. Hendricks, Vice President; J. E. Platter, Treasurer; J. F. McMullen, Secretary. During its first year of business, just closing, it has prospered finely, and now has $1,500 loaned on first mortgages.
The Winfield Bank.-- The first banking house established in the county was the Winfield Bank of J. C. Fuller. This institution opened its doors in the fall of 1870. In January, 1878, J. C. McMullen, who had been engaged in similar business in Arkansas City since 1871, came to Winfield and started the Citizens' Bank. On April 1, 1879, the two banks consolidated and formed the Winfield Bank, chartered under the State law. This institution has now a cash capital of $50,000, and a surplus of $25,000. Besides this accumulation, it has paid every year since its organization a semi-annual dividend of ten per cent - a record probably without parallel in the records of banking. This great success is due to two causes - careful management and immense tributary territory. The building occupied and owned by the bank was erected in the summer of 1879, at a cost of $8,000. It has two stories and a basement, the latter occupied by the Courier office, and the second floor by various offices.
Read's Bank was started in 1872, by M. L. Read, who still owns It. As a private bank, it has no statement of resources, but is known to have invested a capital of $75,000, and a surplus of $25,000. The bank building, on Main street, near Ninth Avenue, was erected in 1871-72, at a cost of $7,500. It is worth mention, that this was the first brick building in the county, and that the brick used in it were the first manufactured, the brick-makers being imported for that purpose. Various improvements in vaults and fixtures have increased the valuation of the building to fully $8,000.
Winfield City Mill was built in 1872 by C. A. Bliss & Co. The building was 40 x 30, feet, and had two and one-half stories. It was started with three run of buhr-stones, but later two buhrs and three rolls were added. In 1880, B. F. Wood became a partner in the concern, and in January, 1881, an engine of 100 horse-power was put in to aid the four turbine water-wheels before in use. In August, 1882, the property was valued at $30,000. On August 13, of that year, the mill was burned to the ground, only the water-wheels and part of the engine escaping.
The Roller Mill.-- With undaunted courage the sufferers by this fire went at the task of rebuilding, with the aim of making not only a finer mill than the old City Mills, but the finest in the State. In this they succeeded, the mill being completed in January, 1883. It is sawed magnesian limestone, five stories in height, and covers a ground space of 40 x 60 feet. The motive power is the same as that of the old mill. The other machinery consists of 34 pairs of rolls, 10 purifiers, 26 bolting and 4 centrifugal reels, 4 flour packers, 1 bran packer and 1 bran duster. The mill is rated at 350 barrels or flour per day. Its cost to the present time is $50,000. Attached to the mill is an elevator, with a capacity of 30,000 bushels, valued with its machinery at $4,000. A side-track of the A., T. & S. F. Railway runs to the mill, and shipments may be made over either road.
The Horning Elevator was built at a cost of $4,500 in the fall of 1880, on the track of the A., T. & S. F. R. R., by Fowler & Simpson. It was purchased in the fall of 1882, by J. H. Horning, who now operates it. It has a wheat cleaner and corn sheller, and can clean and handle four cars of wheat and one of corn daily. Power is furnished by an engine of twenty horse-power.
The Johnson Elevator was begun in July, 1882, and finished the same year by Allen Johnson, who still remains its owner. It stands upon the track of the K. C. L. & S. R. R.; has a storage capacity of 12,000 bushels, and can load ten cars daily. Power is furnished by an engine of ten horse-power.
The Winfield Carriage Works were started in December, 1880, by W. F. Doorley, who operated them until July, 1881, when the firm was changed to Albro & Doorley. No heavy wagons are sold; a large number of carriages, buggies and spring wagons are turned out. The manufacture of the first two years footed up 1,007, 700 of which were built in l882. This is said to be the largest carriage factory in the State; has a capital of $13,000, and employs twenty-five men.
The Brettun.-- Winfield boasts of the finest hotel in Southern Kansas. The Brettun was built in 1880-8l, by S. L. Brettun, and was opened August 11, 1881, by Harter & Black. The building is of sawed magnesian limestone, with trimmings of the same material; is three stories in height, with an English basement equivalent to another story, and covers a ground space of 55 x 100 feet. The house is heated throughout by steam and lighted by gas of its own manufacture. It is valued at $35,000. On December 1, 1882, Black retired from the hotel, which is now run by the senior partner.
Machine Shop.-- The only machine shop In the city is that of Clark & Abbott. This shop was started in 1878, by S. Clark. It is fitted with a lathe, planer and drill, and all tools necessary for ordinary manufacturing or repair work. All the shafting far the roller will was made here. The shop is valued at $3,000.
The Winfield Creamery was started in January, 1883, the buildings having been put up the preceding fall. As yet, it is not running to its full capacity, but will soon run fifteen wagon routes for the collection of cream, and turn out a ton of butter daily. The creamery proper is 40 x 36 feet, and the ice house adjoining a trifle larger. Power is furnished by an eight horse-power engine.
Telephone Exchange.-- On March 27, 1882, twenty-four of the principal points of Winfield were connected by telephone. This work was done by P. W. Bossart of Kansas City, Superintendent of the Bell Telephone Company. The subscribers now number twenty-six. No night service is required an yet, but the day service is very extensive.