|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
Clyde situated on the Republican, in the eastern part of the county, is the oldest town in the county, and considering it has been without the influence and aid of the county-seat and United States Land Office it has made the most rapid and substantial growth of any town in Cloud. This is due to the energy and intelligence of her citizens. It is the second town in size in Cloud, and is surrouded(sic) by a rich agricultural district.
It was here on Elk Creek that the first settlements of the county was(sic) made, and it was for a long time the designated point of assembly for settlers west, when there were Indian raids. Many of the early settlers west of this point would here leave their families, and go into Republic County as far up as White Rock to locate and work their claims. It was also at first the county-seat, but being at one side of the county had no hope of retaining it after the western part of the county had become settled. It has an excellent location, and is destined to be a large and flourishing inland town.
The original town site consisted of forty acres, purchased from W. H. Page for $300 by a town site company, consisting of Andrew Smith, Ed Neeley, J. B. and F. B. Rupe, Lew and John Fowler, Dave Heller, C. J. Cowel, Charles Davis and B. V. Honey. It was laid out in 1866, but before this, Chauncy Cowel and Charles Davis had opened a country store in the house of Moses Heller, which may be considered the commencement of business in Clyde. In this store the first meeting was held, to talk over the feasibility or propriety of starting a town. At the forming of the regular town association, the following were members: F. B. Rupe, C. J. Cowel, C. Davis, Q. Honey, B. V. Honey, R. L Fowler, J. S. Fowler, W. H. Page, Moses Heller, D. Heller, D. Turner, J. McClure, R. P. West, S. S. Way and Ed Neeley. They held their first meeting December 11, 1866, and elected Q. Honey, president; B. V. Honey, Vice-President; J. B. Rupe, Secretary; Charles Davis, treasurer. The shares were first held at $20 a piece. At the meeting held in January, 1867, three names were presented by which to christen the new town--Elkhorn, Shirley and Colfax. Shirley carried away the honors, but the members thought best to reconsider their action, and so during the next month. they voted again and chose the name of Clyde; In January, 1866, Cowel & Davis opened the first store in town, before it had a name. Soon afterwards, Simons & Peters opened a second store, but sold out to the first-named firm. The next store was not established by Ed. Neeley and S. Way until in the spring of 1867, when the latter erected the first frame building, where Judge L. W. Borton's residence now stands. The first school was taught in the fall of 1866, by Dr. Rodgers. Rev. R. P. West, of the Methodist Episcopal denomination, preached the first sermon at the house of Moses Heller in the fall of 1863, which, however, was not in Clyde, as it was not then in existence, but it was delivered where Clyde now stands. The first marriage in the county occurred here in 1866, the contracting parties being W. M. Wilcox and Miss Rosella Honey, who taught the first school.
The growth of the town was very slow for a few years, but it has been steady and substantial, with perhaps, the exception of the year succeeding the grasshopper visitation, when it rather decreased in population. To-day there are a large number of substantial and ornamental business houses, and the shells that are the commencement of every town are fast disappearing. The resident portion of the town contains a number of elegant houses, and the appearance in general is wonderfully useful, neat and homelike. Considering the disadvantages she has had to contend with, Clyde has made remarkable progress. But it has secured a start and a position that will always make it at least the second town in the county. It now has the advantage of two railroads--the Central Branch of the Union Pacific, and the Junction City Branch of the Kansas Pacific, which now has control of the former road. With these roads, the vast water-power of the Republican, its favorable location in a rich agricultural district and its intelligent and energetic class of citizens, Clyde will always remain a prominent inland town.
Clyde was incorporated as a city of the third class in the spring of 1873; her first municipal election being held on the 7th of April of that year. First officers George W. Bartlett, mayor; Peter McCord, police judge; Frank McNulty, A. W. Campbell, Moses Heller, S. M. Ransopher and Henry Dobbs, councilmen. Officers for 1882: Mayor--W. S. Cannon; Councilmen--C. F. Armstrong, S. M. Ransopher, A. G. Derse, Wm. Brown and W. J. Nye; Clerk--E. R. DeBray; Treasurer--Martin Patrie(sic); Police Judge--Geo. W. Barnes; City Attorney--J. J. McFarlan; Captain of the Fire Department--E. T. Peck. The department consists of a brisk volunteer force and a hook-and-ladder truck.
The Elk Creek settlement was about four years behind the Elm Creek in the matter of schools. Doubtless this was due to the fact that the former was not so prolific of children as the latter. One of the old settlers has stated that next to the Indians, "old baches," were considered nuisances, and were not welcomed as settlers, since it was well argued that they were the means of postponing the establishment of a school, which event depended, of course, upon the number of children in the district. Early in the spring of 1866, there was a meeting at Moses Heller's, for the purpose of discussing the interests of education in the community, and devising means, if possible, for the building of a schoolhouse. They determined to build a good one, as they believed that the settlement would soon require it. The site agreed upon was the lot on which now stands Dr. Campbell's house; the size of the building, 16x22 feet, to be built of hewn logs, dirt roof and cottonwood flooring. Each settler agreed to contribute four dollars in work. The design was to have it ready for occupancy early in the summer, but it was the 14th of July before it was ready to be raised. The raising was connected with a pic-nic, which made it an enjoyable affair. It was not completed, however, until the following winter. Dr. Rodgers was the first teacher. This schoolhouse served as a church, public hall and court house, and the commissioners first met here to transact county business. Its day of usefulness has long since passed and in its place a fine $10,000 brick structure, containing six large rooms, and all the modern improvements for convenience, comfort and health. Instead of ten or fifteen pupils, there are now 300, and five teachers instead of one. The school is a credit and ornament to the town, besides an institution of profit.
This settlement, and the county in fact, were exceptionally slow in establishing religious worship, as the first sermon was not preached until the fall of 1863. This sermon was delivered by Rev. R. P. West, of Republic County, at the house of Moses Heller, about four years after the first settlement. It was not till three years later that a church was established, and a Sabbath-school was not commenced until 1864 or '65.
The Presbyterians organized in 1870, or at least steps were then taken in that direction by Rev. Mr. Chapin, who resided at Irving. The church has a goodly membership, and a good church building. These churches are all in a nourishing condition. Their pastors are able, faithful and untiring in their effort in instilling into the minds of their flocks, words of truth and precepts of morality.
The Clyde Herald was established at Clyde in 1878, by Batty & Bachelder. The office was burned in February, 1861, and was suspended until July. In March, 1882, it was purchased by J. S. Paradis. It is a seven column folio, Republican in politics, a newsy and well-edited paper. The Clyde Democrat was established the 24th of July, 1880, by Haukohl. In June, 1881, Thomas Owen, Jr., purchased an interest in the paper. It was at first a six column folio, but changed to seven in November, 1880. It has a fair circulation, is Democratic in politics, and for prohibition. The Jamestown Herald was established in 1880.
Travelers find the hotel accommodations of Clyde superior to those of most towns of its size. The leading hostelries are the Pomeroy House and the Commercial Hotel. The Pomeroy House was erected in 1780, and came into possession of its present proprietors, Messrs. F. E. & J. H. Barona, in November, 1879. The hotel has thirty rooms, neatly furnished, and its accommodations are first-class. These gentlemen also own a fine elevator, and 100 acres of valuable land adjoining. The Commercial House, conducted by George H. Wilkes, was opened in April, 1879.
The bank of Clyde, owned by Van De Mark brothers, is the only banking house in the place at present. It enjoys the confidence of the people, and does an excellent business. It represents a capital of $40,000.
The only manufactures of note are those of flour and pottery. The Clyde Mill Co. have just completed a steam flouring-mill, costing about $15,000. Sohlinger & Mosier are the proprietors of the pottery that produces an excellent and durable ware. This is destined soon to be one of the most extensive industries of the town.
Clyde Agricultural and Driving Park Association was organized in 1879. The first fair was held in the fall of 1880. The association has forty acres enclosed, supplied with necessary buildings and an excellent half mile race course. Officers: C. W. Van De Mark, president; M. Petrie, secretary; E. T. Peck, treasurer.
Prairie Queen Lodge, No. 176, A. F. & A. M.--This society was organized in 1876, and has secured a membership of about fifty-five. It is in a flourishing condition. Officers: M. Petrie, W. M.; J. W. Eaton, S. W.; C. Armstrong. J. W.; W. N. Woodward, Treasurer; T. W. Roach, Secretary.
Clyde Lodge No.--I. O. O. F. was instituted March 25, 1878. There are about forty members. Officers: M. W. Carney, N. G.; L. B. Haynes, V. G.; G. W. Hay, Secretary; P. McDonald, Treasurer; T. K. Teter, Deputy Grand Master.
Clyde Lodge No. 1373, K. of H., was organized February 4, 1879. Officers: L. W. Bortion, D.; E. T. Peck, V. D.; A. J. Montgomery, Ass't D.; M. W. Carney, Representative; P. Mcdonald, F. R.; J. J. McFarland, Guide. There are about thirty members.
Samson Lodge, No. 33, K. of P.--This lodge was instituted in November, 1880, and has at present about forty members. M. Petrie, P. C.; E. T. Peck, C. C.; D. Turner, Jr., V. C.; J. Turner, P. Wm. Brown, M. at A.; J. W. Brown, K. of R. & S.
GEORGE W. BARNES, Justice of the Peace, was born in Huron County, Ohio, December 20, l846. Removed with his parents to Indiana in 1848; came to Clay County in 1865, and from thence to Clyde, Cloud County, in 1869. Was elected Justice of the Peace in 1876, and Police Judge in 1878, holding both offices at the present time. He enlisted in the Twenty-fifth Indiana Battery, Light Artillery, and served through the war. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias, Knights of Honor, I. O. O. F., and the G. A. R. He was married October 5, 1870, to Miss Rebecca T. Edelblute, of Riley County, Kan.
W. S. CRUMP, hardware, was born in Bartholemew(sic) County, Ind., July 1, 1887. Came to Manhattan, Kan., in the spring of 1869, and engaged the grocery trade; in 1872 removed to Clyde and opened his present business. In 1870 was a member of the City Council of Manhattan. He was a member of the school board at Clyde from 1872-'77; county commissioner in 1876 and '77. In 1881 he was elected a representative to the State Legislature; was a Mayor of Clyde in 1875. He is a Royal Arch Mason; member of Knights of Pythias. Married January 1, 1861, to Miss Sophronia Fish, now deceased. He was married again April 4, 1869, to Miss M. L. Russell, and has two children--C. O., born November 5, 1861, and W. R., born October 31, 1871.
HARRY FUGLET, boots, shoes and clothing, etc., was born in Germany in 1850. Came with his parents to America in 1852, locating at Seneca, Ohio. Removed first to Illinois, thence to Iowa. In March, 1879, located at Clyde, Kan., and opened present business with a stock of boots, shoes and clothing. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., Knights of Pythias, and A. O. U. W. Has been member of the City Council. Was married November 18, 1872, at Webster City, Iowa, to Miss Hattie Noyes. Has one child--Blanche, born November 16, 1873.
THOMAS OWEN, JR., was born in Flint, North Wales, September 1, 1853. In 1873 he graduated at Holyhead College; in 1875 he came to the United States. Liking the country and its institutions, be adopted it as his new home and new country, by vowing allegiance to the stars and stripes. From 1877 to 1880 he edited Farm, Field and Fireside (Chicago). In July, 1880, he established the Clyde Democrat. He is a promising editor, being well educated and energetic.
J. S. PARADIS, editor. The subject of this article was born in Canada the 26th of December, 1845. He was educated at private college. For three years was connected with the American Bridge Company, 1868, '69, '70. In 1871 located at Momence, Ill., where he became interested in the Momence Reporter. In 1872 he sold his interest in the paper and removed to Kansas. Locating at Clyde in 1873, he established the Clyde Local Reporter. In 1875 he removed to Concordia, changing the name of the paper to the Concordia Expositor. In 1881 he sold the paper to Mr. Hull, who changed the name to the Republican. Mr. Paradis returned to Clyde, and in the spring of 1882 established the Clyde Herald. Mr. Paradis is an able editor, and his paper is becoming very popular.
E. T. PECK was born in Rochester, N. Y., March 6, 1852. Removed with his parents to Ohio the same year, and in 1866 went to Wisconsin, and attended college at Ripon in the years 1867, '68, '69, '70, '73 and '74; moved to Missouri, where he lived until he came to Clyde, Cloud County, Kan., in 1880, and engaged in the lumber business. He was appointed postmaster, June 1, 1881. It was agreed with the congressmen that there should be a vote of the people as to who should hold the said office, and the man who should be elected by the majority, should hold the office. Mr. Peck was the one selected. He is a member of the A. O. U. W., Knights of Pythias, and Knights of Honor.
C. W. VAN DE MARK was born July 13 in Seneca County, N. Y. In the fall of 1863 went to Williams College, Massachusetts, and graduated July, 1867; thence to Pittsfield, Mass., and studied law, and was admitted to the Supreme Court of Berkshire County Mass., October, 1869. First practiced in North Adams, same State, and was clerk of the District Court, and remained until 1872, when be returned to Pittsfield and was appointed justice of the District Court, and was elected city attorney of Pittsfield; also practiced his profession. Took a visit to the Pacific Coast, starting January, 1877, where he arrived and remained for a few months; when he returned, this time settling at Chicago, Ill., where he remained in the practice of his profession until 1877, when he went to Orange, Texas, on business, and in 1878 came to Clyde, Cloud County, Kan. In 1880, he and his brother engaged in the banking business under the firm name of Van De Mark & Bro., afterwards the Bank of Cloud. The two brothers are worth $50,000. Mr. Van De Mark is a Mason, and belongs to the Royal Arch and Commandery. He was married in Texas, April 21, 1880, to Miss Addie Stevens, and has one child--W. V. B., born January 17, 1882.
Glasco, situated on the Solomon River and the Solomon Valley Railroad, in the southwestern part of the county, is a thriving, prosperous and admirably situated town. It is destined to be the metropolis of the southern and western part of the county. It is in the best part of the county for winter wheat. The Solomon River affords excellent water-power throughout the year. It is along this river that the best sandstone in the county abounds. The town is not old, but has made a rapid and substantial growth.
Jamestown, situated on the Central Branch Railroad, twelve miles west of Concordia, is the southern terminus of the Jewell County Branch of the Central Branch R. R. It is a young but prosperous town lying in the valley of Buffalo Creek.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - SOLOMON TOWNSHIP
ISAAC BIGGS, merchant, P. O. Glasco, was born in Indiana, September 26, 1846, and removed to Cedar Rapids, Iowa in 1849; thence to Cloud County, Kan., in 1870, and preempted 160 acres of land, on which the town of Glasco is situated. Mr. Biggs had the town of Glasco laid out in the spring of 1870, and erected the first frame building in the said town, and held the office of postmaster at this place for nine years. He is now engaged in general merchandising and doing a good business in a stone store building 24x70 feet. He was married in Cloud county, January 1, 1872, to Miss Sarah C. Starke and has two children--Adah born November 28, 1873, and Oral E., born in January, 1876.
DR. J. H. BRIERLEY, P. O. Glasco, was born in Lockport, N. Y., and removed to Springfield, Clark Co., Ohio, in 1858; thence to Dayton Ohio, in 1864, and attended Dennison University, and graduated in classical course in June, 1875. He attended the Sterling Medical College at Columbus, Ohio, and graduated in the spring of 1878: first practiced at Dayton, Ohio; came to Cloud County, Kan., in the fall of 1878, and engaged in the practice of his profession, where he has remained ever since. He is a member of the Beta Theta Pi. He was married in Dayton, Ohio, July 17, 1879, to Miss Mary L. Bennett.
ROBERT MISELL(sic), farmer, P. O. Glasco, was born in Virginia, in 1858; removed with his parents to Louisville, Ky., thence to Ohio, from there to St. Louis, Mo., and then to Wyandotte, Kan. In the fall of 1866, he removed to Solomon City, Kan., then to Cloud County, and settled one and one-half miles west of Glasco. Mr. Misele(sic) is a member of the I. O. O. F. Mr. Misele(sic) relates many thrilling incidents of his early life in Kansas, one of which is as follows: One day in August, 1868, he and his brother were overtaken by three Indians. The leader was dressed in female attire, and the boys were not aware of their purpose until too late to escape from them. One seized hold of the younger brother, and pulling him upon a pony rode off toward the river. The others tried to lift Robert upon a pony, but he resisted so strongly, that they gave up the attempt, and contented themselves with dragging him along. Loosing their hold for a moment the boy broke away, and ran toward the river. The Indian then drew a revolver; at first it snapped, the second time he was more successful, and shot, wounding Robert slightly. The boy fell upon his face, and as he lay there, he heard two shots fired, and heard his brother groan. Then he sprang to his feet and made for the river. The Indians shot several arrows after him, and one of them passed through his sleeve, but he escaped without further injury, and brought help from his home to his wounded brother.
AUGUSTUS OTT, postmaster, Glasco, was born in Stephenson County, Ill., July 31, 1856; Removed to Worth County, Iowa, in 1865, and thence to Buchanan County, Mo., in 1870. He came to Cloud County, Kan., in 1878, and located at Glasco, and engaged in the confectionery and stationery business. Was appointed postmaster in September, 1879, and now holds the said office. He is a Good Templar. He was married in Glasco, September 18, 1881 to Miss Lucy H. Dalrymple.
H. H. SPAULDING, dealer in furniture, P. O. Glasco; born in Belmont County, Ohio, January 26, 1841. He removed to Indiana in 1858; enlisted in the United States army in 186l, in Company F, Thirty-ninth Indiana Infantry, afterwards organized as a cavalry regiment; and Mr. Spaulding was in Company F, Eighth Indiana Cavalry. He was discharged in August, 1865, when he returned to Indiana, then came to Cloud County, Kan., in December, 1865, and settled in Solomon Township, in the southwest corner of the county, his nearest neighbor being thirteen miles from him. He was one of the original owners of the town site of Glasco, in Cloud County; he is the owner of 200 acres of land adjoining the town on the west. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. He was married in Ottawa County, Kan., December 26, 1866, to Miss Mary Copeland, formerly of Johnson County, Ill. Mrs. Spaulding was born in Johnson County, Ill., in 1847, and came to Kansas in 1865. They have four children--Addie M., Lillie B., Arlet C., and William H.
J. C. THOMPSON, farmer, P. O. Glasco, Kansas; was born in Alleghany County, Pa., January 31, 1834; removed to Ogle County, Ill., in the fall of 1855, and removed from Ogle County to Kendall County, Ill., in the spring of 1857. He enlisted in the United States army at Lisbon, Ill., July 15, 1861, in Company D, Thirty-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. Was promoted to first lieutenant in the same company, and was wounded by an ounce ball through the right lung at the battle of Perrysville, Ky., October 8, 1862; was discharged in 1863 and received an appointment as second lieutenant of the Volunteer Rifle Corps, in the fall of 1863; was promoted to first lieutenant of Company H, Twelfth Regiment Volunteer Rifle Corps. Resigned on account of poor health in the fall of 1864, and returned home to Kendall County, Ill. Came to Cloud County, Kan., in the spring of 1871, and took a homestead four miles northwest of Glasco. When in Illinois, he held the office of township collector; has held the office of trustee and assessor since coming to Kansas. He is a married man, and the father of two living children--Georgia B., aged fifteen, and Joann B., aged six years.
J. M. VERNON, farmer, P.O. Simpsonville, was born in Western Virginia, January 17, 1844. Removed to Fayette County, Pa., where he lived until 1872, when he came to Cloud County, Kan.. and took a homestead, and is now the owner of 586 acres of land, ten miles southeast of Beloit. Keeps 800 to 1,000 sheep of the Merino stock; also keeps from 40 to 50 head of cattle, and 12 head of horses. Held the office of school-director. Married in Michell County, Kan., on the 19th day of March, 1874, to Miss Sarah Darrow. Has four children--Eddie E., Anna L., George and Jesse.
F. T. S. ANSDELL, merchant, Jamestown, was born in England, August 16 1820, and came to America in 1843 and located in New York for one year; removed to Wisconsin; thence to Cloud County, Kan., and located in Jamestown in the same county in 1878, and engaged in general merchandise, in a room 22x80 feet, and has his store well stocked. He was appointed postmaster in 1881. Mr. Ansdell has held the office of District Treasurer for the past ten years, and has held the office of Justice of the Peace for two years. He was married in New York in the year of 1844, to Miss Mary Patterson of the City of New York. He is the father of five children, three boys and two girls.
JOHN A. DANIELSON, merchant, Jamestown, was born in Sweden; came to America in 1868 and located at La Porte Ind.; thence to Chicago; thence to Okolona, Miss.; thence to Memphis, Tenn.; thence to St. Louis, Mo.; thence to Hannibal, Mo.; thence to Keokuk, Iowa; thence to Alexandria, Mo.; thence to Memphis, Mo.; thence to Cincinnati, Iowa; thence to Memphis, Mo.; thence to Scandia, Kan., in 1874; thence to Marysville, Kan.; thence to Scandia, 1876; thence to Concordia, Cloud Co., in 1880, and to Jamestown, same county, in 1882, and engaged in general merchandising. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias. He was married on the 16th of May, 1880, at Scandia, Kan., to Miss Ida A. Taylor, and is the father of one child--Maud, born June 7, 1881.
CHARLES IRVING GOULD, farmer, P. O. Jamestown, was born in Batavia, N. Y., November 17, 1850; removed to Cloud County, Kan., in 1870. Homesteaded 160 acres of land where the town of Jamestown is now situated. The said town was laid out in 1878, and now has a population of 300. A branch railroad runs from this point northwest to Burr Oak, in Jewell County. He was married May 4, 1875, at Blue Rapids, Marshall Co., to Miss Lucy Webster, and has four children--Olive, Webster, Arthur Garfield, and Francis Irving.
JOHN O. HANSON, dealer in furniture, stationery, blank books, notions, school supplies, sewing machines etc., Jamestown, was born in Copenhagen, Denmark, August 19, 1842, and came to Chicago, Ill., in 1862; thence to Cloud County, Kan., in 1872, and to Jamestown same county, in October, 1878, and engaged in the furniture business. He has also a circulating library in connection with his establishment. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias, and was married in Chicago, Ill., in the year of 1869, to Mrs. C. Hanson, and has three children--Anna, William, and Clara.
M. M. STRAIN, merchant, Jamestown, was born in La Salle County, Ill., February 20, 1854; removed to Monnouth, Warren Co., Ill., in 1861; thence to Concordia, Cloud Co, Kan., in 1870; moved to Jamestown same county in 1878, and engaged in general merchandising in the same fall. He held the post-office at the last named place for two years, and was married in Jamestown, December 22, 1880, to Miss E. F. Robinson, and is the father of one child, born October 6, 1881.
J. F. HANNUM, farmer, P. O. Concordia, was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, July 23, 1844; removed to Allegheny City, Pa. with his parents in 1847; thence to Des Moines County, Iowa, in 185l. He enlisted in the United States army August 5, 1862, in Company C, Thirtieth Iowa Volunteer Infantry; mustered out in June, 1865, and returned to Des Moines County, Iowa, where he remained until the fall of 1869, when he came to Cloud County, Kan. Has held the office of township trustee and township clerk, and was elected County Commissioner in 1880; has held the said office ever since. Was married in Cloud County, Kan., May 19, 1872, to Miss Adeline Shelhamer, and is the father of three children--Lottie, Alice, and Lulu. Mr. Hannum is the owner of 400 acres of first-class land, situated three miles west of Concordia.
CAPT. B. C. SANDERS, farmer, P. O. Concordia, was born in Kentucky, March 23, 1831; moved to Indiana in 1832; thence to Brown County, Kan., in 1857. Enlisted as private in the United States army August 30, 1861, in Company H, Seventh Kansas Cavalry; when discharged September 29, 1865, he was captain, having risen from the ranks. The captain came to Kansas in 1865, and to Cloud County in 1867, and located near where the town of Concordia is now situated. The captain is a graduate of the Rush Medical College of Chicago, Ill., and has practiced medicine for several years, but is now engaged in farming. He as a married man, and is the father of two children.