|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
The city of Galena is situated in the southeastern part of Cherokee County on the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad. It is distant from the Missouri line about one and a half miles, and about four miles from the Indian Territory.
The discovery and development of the lead mines in this section was the cause for the starting of the town. The land upon which it was located was owned by E. Moll, a German farmer, who managed by hard labor and strict economy to obtain from his land a scanty living. The tract consisting of 120 acres was purchased in the spring of 1877, by the Galena Mining & Smelting Company, for which they paid $10,000. The town was immediately laid out, an the excitement caused by the lead discovery was so great, that no sooner was a lot staked off than a purchaser was ready with the money in hand to buy it. The influx of people was extremely rapid, so that in the space of about two months the place numbered a population of between two and three thousand. Business houses were hastily established, and miners' shanties were built by the score, regardless of taste or appearance, and the town site was everywhere being dug up with mining excavations.
A tract of eighty acres of railroad land adjoining the site was purchased by a joint stock company called the South Side Town & Mining Company, afterward changed to the South Side Mining & Manufacturing Company. This tract also became a part of the town site.
The early history of the place is fraught with many incidents of ruffianism, gambling, drunkenness, etc., as is characteristic of most mining towns in new countries. These, however, have largely been driven out, and the city is now made up of a comparatively civil and law-abiding populace.
The city has the rough and cheap appearance of a regular mining camp, being made up mostly of cheap and rough board shanties. The ground upon which it stands, naturally uneven, is rendered more unsightly by the heaps of excavated material that has been thrown from mining and the prospecting shafts in every part of it. The mercantile business of the city is mainly that of supplying the camp. In the immediate vicinity of the place, extending outward a distance of from three to four miles, the country is poorly adapted to agriculture, the soil being rocky and sterile.
Galena was incorporated as a city of the third class in May, 1877, in less than two months from the time it was laid out. The first Mayor was G. W. Webb, who was re-elected, and was succeeded by A. N. McPherson.
The first school was taught in the winter of 1877-78, in a building that had been built for a store room. The school comprised three departments, and was under the charge of E. J. Prichett, Mrs. Miller and the present Mrs. Hutchins.
A school building was erected in 1879. It is a large two-story frame structure containing four rooms. The district purchased four lots for a schoolhouse site; the land was leased for mining purposes. It was found to contain rich lead mineral, from which the district realized handsomely. A second school building was erected in 1880; it is a two-story frame containing two rooms.
There are three church organizations in the city -- the Presbyterian, Episcopalian and Methodist. The Union Tabernacle was built in the fall of 1877. The building was under the auspices of the temperance people, in which the different churches united. The building consisted of a rough board house, 40 x 60 feet, and without a floor. The structure was erected in short order. An evening meeting was held, at which the plan of the building was decided upon and some funds raised. Work began upon the erection on the following day, with a large force of workmen, who continued their labors upon it for two days and the intervening night; the building was completed at the end of the second day and a meeting was conducted in it on the evening of the second day. This served as a Union Church house until denominational houses were built.
The fraternal feeling of the people of the city finds cultivation in four well regulated secret organizations. These are the Galena Lodge, No. 194, of the Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons; Galena Lodge, of the Ancient Order of United Workmen; Mineral Lodge, No. 3, of the Order of Knights of Pythias; Galena Lodge, No. 120, of the Independent Order of Good Templars.
The Galena Miner was started May 16, 1877, by McDowell & Lea. In the spring of 1878 it was taken by H. P. Stebbins, who, after running it but two weeks, sold out to J. F. & A. W. McDowell. In the fall, J. F. McDowell sold his interest to J. P. Nichols, and in about a year's time Nichols became sole proprietor. The paper was continued until 1881, at which time it was suspended.
In the fall of 1878, H. Webb established a paper called the Short Creek Banner. In the following winter, a daily issue was added, and in a short time the paper was sold to Bent Melholland. The name was changed to that of the Messenger. After running a few weeks, it was removed to Columbus.
The Short Creek Republican was established on September 16, 1880, by Weldy & McDowell. In about four weeks it was suspended as a weekly paper and converted into a daily, by Weldy & Chatham, the latter having taken McDowell's interest. Chatham retired from the firm in April, 1881, and Weldy became sole proprietor. One December 5, 1881, the weekly edition was revived, and the publication of both the daily and weekly was continued until February, 1882, at which time the weekly was again suspended.
The principal manufacturing that is carried on in the city is that in connection with the production of lead. This consists of eight steam crushers owned and operated by different parties, and one smelter. The first pig lead was made in September, 1877; at that time an air furnace was used. The Galena Lead & Zinc Company, formerly known as the Galena Mining & Smelting Company, which had constructed the air furnace and manufactured the first pig lead in the place, soon enlarged their works by putting in a blast, and in five or six months added two more. The South Side Town & Mining Company, afterward known as the South Side Mining & Manufacturing Company, became associated in this smelter, with the Galena Mining & Smelting Company. The establishment was greatly enlarged. It now contains six blasts, having a united capacity for the manufacture of 72,000 pounds of ore per day. The blasts are run by a twenty-horse power engine, and the works employ an average force of fifty men. The building is a large frame, eighty feet long by thirty feet wide.
The Cherokee Machine Works were started in 1880, by Lackie & Collins. It is operated as a general repair shop, and contains a lathe, screw-cutter, drill and plane. The building is a one-story frame, 40x40, and the power is a six-horse power engine.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - GALENA. (ANDREWS - JAMES)
H. ANDREWS, of the firm of Aldrich, Fuller & Andrews, proprietors of the Excelsior Crushing and Separating Works, is a native of Herkimer County, N. Y., and was reared to the profession of a mechanic. In 1861, at the age of sixteen, he enlisted in Company A, First New York Light Artillery, and did active service till the end of the war, when he was honorably discharged as veteran of the Seventh New York Independent Battery, in which he served as Color Bearer for the last three years. After the war he returned home and completed his profession, but did not make it his business in life. He operated extensively in contracting, part of which was in the Territories, retaining, however, his identity with his native State. In 1877, he came here and operated in mining till he joined the present partnership. September 15, 1881, he married Naomi A. Kilborn, in Herkimer County, N. Y., who was born in Jefferson County, N. Y., where she lived until twelve years of age. The firm was established in November, 1880. Besides their regular work, they do a general brokerage business in lead and zinc ore. At the crushing and separating works in Galena, they do a business of $50,000 per annum, and at Collinsville, Ill., where their smelter is, they handle ten tons of zinc ore per day and do a business there of $100,000 per annum.
CAPT. A. ARNOLD, superintendent of the Maggie Taylor Mining and Smelting Company, is a native of Warrick County, Ind. In 1852, he moved with his people to Cape Girardeau, Mo. At the age of ten years he received his rudimentary education in the public schools there, and after taking a preparatory course of instruction at college at Cape Girardeau, he entered the St. Louis University at St. Louis, Mo., and graduated in a thorough commercial course in 1860. He then returned home and entered into business with his father in the wholesale grocery, forwarding and commission business, and was actively identified with it until the breaking-out of the war, when he enlisted in Battery F, Second Illinois Light Artillery Volunteers, and after three months' service as a non-commissioned officer, he was appointed First Lieutenant of Company C, Twelfth Missouri Cavalry, and subsequently received his appointment to the Captaincy of that company, which he reputably held until 1863, when he was appointed Deputy Provost Marshal of the Third Congressional District of Missouri, under the Conscription Act, and was actively connected in that capacity until the end of the war. After the war he was elected Circuit Clerk and ex-Officio Recorder, and also Clerk of the Probate Court for one year. He then engaged in teaching, and was connected with it at his home locality until 1869, when he located in Kansas and followed teaching here and in the Indian Territory. In 1871, he took up mining operations, and has been successfully connected with it since. He was married in Seneca, Mo., to Miss Mary J. Trotter, a native of Scott County, Mo. They have two sons and two daughters - Annie, David, George and Pearl. He has been an active worker in the social development of his locality since locating there.
A. J. BAKER, assistant railroad agent, was born in Illinois, March 10, 1860. He was raised on a farm, and came West in 1875, to Joplin, Mo., where he remained until 1880 engaged in mining. He came to Galena in 1880, and entered the firm of Lowdermilk & Co., in the grocery line, taking his present position as assistant railroad agent in 1882.
LUDWIG BAUM, dealer in dry goods, clothing, hats and caps, boots and shoes, was born in Germany in 1833, and came to the United States in 1854, locating in Indiana, where he was a clerk for three years in a general store, and then went to Missouri and engaged in business for himself. After remaining in Missouri for seven years he went to Illinois and was in business there for five years, when he returned to Missouri and remained seven years. He then came to Galena, Kan., in 1877, and opened his present business. Mr. Baum owns mining grounds and leases the same out for a royalty. He also owns a good business and residence property in Galena, where he has been elected Councilman and School Director. He belongs to the order of Freemasons. He was married to Miss G. Baum, of Germany, in 1863. They have six children living - Sarah, Joseph, Levi, Estella, Bulena and Rosetta. Moses (deceased).
F. S. BOICE, of the firm of Boice & Fallis, miners and crushers, was born in Summit County, Ohio, in 1837, and was reared to the cabinet making business, with which he was identified in Ohio till 1869, when he located in Fort Scott, Kan., where he carried on his business and a general furniture store till the spring of 1879, when he came here and began mining operations, which he has actively carried on since. He married in 1860, Miss Mahala Ross, in Portsmouth, Ohio. She was a native of Jackson County, Ohio. They have a family of one son and a daughter - James and Rosa. He has been an active member of the I. O. O. F. society since 1861, and is a member of the encampment.
J. H. BROWN, of the firm of Brown & MacMillan, mining operators, was born in Schuylkill County, Penn., in 1852, and was reared in LaFayette County, Wis. In 1870, he began mining operations in the coal interests of Polk and Greene Counties, Iowa, which he followed actively for several years. In 1876, he located in Kansas in Chautauqua County, and carried on farming till 1878, when he came here and engaged at his present industry, which he has successfully followed since. In 1880, he married Miss Nellie Wilkinson, a native of LaFayette County, Wis. They have one son, Albert. This firm have now four shafts in active operation in the Corlin Tract and Rosenthal & Teeter's ground. They give employment to twenty-five workmen, and raise 10,000 pounds of lead and fifteen to twenty tons of zinc ore a day.
DR. W. H. D. BROWN, of the firm of Brown & Rush, mining operators, was born in New York City, in 1830, and received his rudimentary education in the public schools of his native city. He then engaged in a literary course of study in St. Louis College, St. Louis, and graduated in a professional course of study in 1855, from the St. Louis Medical College. He then took up the practice of the profession in St. Louis and continued it till 1862, when he enlisted his professional services in defense of the Union and remained actively engaged till the end of the war, when he was honorably discharged as Medical Purveyor of the Army of the Frontier. After the war, he practiced for a few years, when he engaged in mining operations in Oronogo, MO., with which he was engaged there till 1878. He then came here, and has been actively connected with that industry here since. He married in St. Louis, Miss Margaret Russell, a native of Clackmananshire, Scotland. They have a family of two sons and two daughters - Willie, Maggie, George and Orie. He is an active member of Frank Blair Post, No. 54, G. A. R. He and his family are active members of the Methodist Church.
AARON BURLISON, grocer, was born in Indiana, January 16, 1843. He remained on the home farm and in the same business until 1861, joining the army July 25, of that year, and remaining in the service until he was mustered out July 24, 1865. He then lived on a farm in Illinois until 1869, when he went into the grocery business in the same State, remaining two years, when he came to Barton County, Kan., and took up a homestead, which he improved and lived upon three years. He then was mining in Joplin, Mo., three years, and in Short Creek from 1877 to 1880, when he entered into the grocery business, in which he is still engaged. He was married to Miss Melvina Dillon, of Illinois, in 1863.
WILLIAM H. CHEW, superintendent of the Short Creek Lead and Zinc Company, was born and reared in Springfield, Ill. In 1867, at the age of twenty-two, he located in Lebanon, Mo. and carried on the mercantile business for a few years, after which he came to Kansas and engaged at merchandising in Baxter Springs, which he subsequently retired from and took up mining operations, with which he has been actively identified since. His first operations were in the Joplin mines, afterward he operated in the Parr Hill mines, latterly locating here and accepting his present position, which he has reputably held since. In 1879, he married Miss May Stennett, a native of Joplin, Mo.. They have one little girl, Edith. Mr. Chew did active service in the late war, in Company F, Eighty-first Illinois Volunteer Infantry, from which he was honorably discharged. He is an active member of the I. O. O. F. society here.
JOHN F. CODY, superintendent of the Cody Crushing Company, was born in Geneva, Wis., in 1846, and was identified with the carpentering business principally till 1872, when he located in Joplin, Mo., and engaged in manufacturing mining machinery, which he actively carried on till 1882, when he joined the present enterprise which he ably represents. The firm consists of Mr. Cody, M. Robeson, and J. K. Williams. It was established in 1882 for the purpose of operating in mining and crushing. Their crushing and separating business turn out about thirty-five tons of ore a day. It is run by steam, with a capacity of thirty-horse power. It is confined principally to zinc ore.
SPENCER COOPER, proprietor of Cooper's Crusher and Mining Operator, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1841. At the age of twenty, he enlisted in Company D, Thirty-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Remained in active service until 1864, having re-enlisted as a veteran, in his company and regiment. He was then transferred to the navy, with which he remained until the end of the war, when he was honorably discharged in July, 1865. In December, 1865, he located near Kansas City where he carried on the lumber business until 1867, when he engaged in the manufacture of it near Lawrence, Kan. After a few years, he retired from this business and took up farming and stock-raising in Sedgwick County, Kan., which he carried on successfully until 1876, when he engaged in mining operations, and has been very successfully connected with it since. In 1866, he married Miss Margery A. Thatcher, in Parkville, Mo. She was born in Butler County, Ohio. They have a family of four sons and one daughter - Edwin, William, John, Jessie and Carrie. Mr. Cooper developed the mineral wealth of what is known as Cooper Hollow, and has been active in the general development of the industrial life of this locality. He is an active member of the Knights of Pythias society, and a member of Frank Blair Post, Grand Army of the Republic.
WILLIAM CRAIG was born on the 18th of October, A. D. 1810, at Pekin, Stark Co., Ohio. In May, 1830, with his father's consent, he emigrated to Orange County, Ind., with a brother of his father then living in Indiana, with whom he learned the carpenter's trade. He worked at his trade in Indiana for about twenty-eight years. He was married in Orange, and raised his family there and in New Albany, where he moved in 1852, working at his trade in Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Missouri, and Kansas, where he is now running some mines, not being able to work at his trade any more. He and his wife have lived together for over fifty years, having been married October 25, 1832. They have raised a family of six children, two of whom only now living, and they are in New Albany, Ind. Their names are Isaac and F. B. F. Craig.
GEORGE W. DAUSENBURG, grocer, was born in the State of New York, September 2, 1837. He was raised in Michigan, where he received a liberal education and began teaching school at the age of seventeen years, teaching twelve or thirteen years in Michigan and Missouri. He then sold groceries in Dawn, Mo., two years, and then went to Cameron, Mo., and engaged in the grocery and dry goods business four years, coming to Galena, Kan., in 1877. Here he started a grocery business in Galena, and owns farm lands in Missouri, and a residence and lots in Galena. He was Postmaster in Dawn, Mo., for four years, and was elected Mayor of Galena, in 1880-81. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. He was married to Miss Mary E. Parker, of Missouri, in 1861, and has two children - Eddie and Annie L.
A. F. DAVIDSON, superintendent of the Cornwall Mining and Smelting Company, is a native of Macoupin County, Ill., and was identified extensively in the mercantile business, carrying on two general drug stores, one in DeWitt and the other in McLean County. In 1880, and at the age of thirty-seven, he located at Columbus, and engaged in the mercantile business, which he subsequently retired from and accepted his present position, which he has very reputably held since. He married, in 1869, Miss Adel Ryan, in DeWitt County, Ill. She was a native of Ohio, and departed this life in August, 1873, and is buried in the Farmer City Cemetery, Ill., aged twenty-seven. In 1876, he married Miss Flora Brown, a native of McLean County, Ill. Mr. Davidson did active service in defense of his country in the late rebellion, in Company A, Thirty-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, from August, 1861, until October, 1865, when he was honorably discharged as a veteran, of Company A, Thirty-second Illinois Veteran Infantry, and pensioned. Was in active service in the siege of Fort Donelson, battles of Shiloh and Hatchie, in the sieges of Vicksburg, Atlanta and Savannah, and the battles of Pocataligo and Bentonville, and numerous smaller engagements and skirmishes. He is a member of the G. A. R., A. W. Fellows Post, Illinois. Mr. Davidson and family have been in active connection with the Presbyterian Church for many years.
H. S. DAVIS, grocer, was born in Illinois, in 1844. He began the butcher business at the age of twenty-one in Baxter Springs, Kan., where he carried it on three years, and then clerked in a hardware store five years at Baxter Springs and Joplin, Mo. Was next mining three years, and came to Galena in 1882, and opened his present business. He owns real estate in Baxter Springs. Belongs to the order of Freemasons. He was married to Miss Nellie Hohn, of Joplin, Mo., in 1876. They have three children - Lottie, Lena and Hermon F.
W. H. FALLIS, of the firm of Boice & Fallis, was born in Trimble County, Ky., in 1836, and was reared in Buchanan County, Mo. At the age of thirteen he engaged in the mercantile business as clerk, and after attaining the age of majority, carried it on as principal till 1870. He then retired from it and engaged in the hotel business, but after a few years he accepted a position in the wholesale mercantile business as traveling salesman, with which he was reputably connected till 1882, when he joined the present partnership which he ably represents. He married, in 1859, Miss Jennie R. Hodge, a native of Missouri. They have a family of two daughters - Cora and Blanche. He is an active member of the Knights of Pythias Society. The enterprise of Boice & Fallis gives employment to fifteen skilled workmen, and turn out about thirty-five tons of ore a day. In connection with their own work they do considerable custom work. Their crusher, separator and pump are run by steam, with a capacity of twenty-four-horse power.
S. W. FRANTZ, of the firm of Frantz & Jarrett, butchers, was born in Pennsylvania, in 1835. He commenced the butcher's business and carried it on for two years in Pennsylvania, and has since been in the same business in Joplin, Mo., seven years, and in Galena in the same business since 1879. Mr. Frantz is interested in mines, in Jackson Diggings and Skeeterville. He is a member of the A. O. U. W., and K. of P. He was married to Miss Mary Longwell in 1863, and has two sons - Clarence Eugene and Dean Charles.
SAMUEL GATES, of the firm of Gates & Lewis, mining operators, was born in Huntingdon County, Penn., in 1844, and came to Kansas in 1857, with his people, who settled in Linn County, where he was reared to the farming industry. In 1876, he engaged at his present industry, and has been successfully connected with it since. In 1872, he married Miss Nannie Irwin, a native of Brown County, Ill. They have two sons and one daughter - Lena, John S. and Samuel Earl. Mr. Gates did active service in Company G, Seventh Kansas Volunteer Cavalry from 1863 until the end of the war, and was honorably discharged. He is an active member of the I. O. O. F. society, and Frank Blair Post, G. A. R.
E. F. GUTHRIE, mining operator, Stanley Diggings, two and a half miles south of Galena, was born in Clay County, Ind., December 16, 1846, and located in Kansas, with his people, in 1856, where he was reared to the farming industry. In 1875, he went to California for his health, returning to Kansas the following year, and in 1878, he came here and engaged at mining, with which he has been actively connected since. In April, 1879, he was married in Galena, to Miss Donie Merrill, a native of Missouri. They have one little girl, Mabel. Mr. Guthrie's enterprise turns out about seven tons of zinc ore a day and gives employment to seven workmen. Mr. Guthrie has served his city as Marshal for two years, and his county as Deputy Sheriff for one year. He is an active member of the I. O. O. F. society.
DANIEL W. HAINER, druggist, was born in the State of New York, August 8, 1843. He enlisted in a three month's regiment at the age of seventeen and re-enlisted for three years' service. In 1866, he went to Denver, where he was engaged in freighting between that city and Salt Lake, and was afterward in the mining business in Montana two years. He was then in the cattle business three years at Salt Lake City and in Texas three years in general speculation. He then went to Colorado and was in the mining and lime business for one year, coming to Columbus, Kan., in 1875, and then to a drug store in Cherokee, where he remained as a clerk for a short time. He was then in Carterville, Mo., in the drug business one season, and came to Galena in 1877, and engaged in his present business. He owns three residences in Galena. He is a member of the Kansas Benevolent Society and the K. of P. He was elected Council man of Galena in 1881. He was married to Mrs. Nola V. Clifford, of Illinois, in 1878. They have three children - Maud, Pearl G. and Mabel.
G. W. HARPER, superintendent of the Sawyer lease and of Cooper's Crushing and Separating business, was born in Lewis County, Mo., 1856, and was reared to the teaching profession. He received his rudimentary education in the public schools of his native county, and his literary education in Monticello Seminary, Lewis County, from which he graduated in 1874. He afterward took up a professional course in the Kirksville State Normal Institution. After having taught for two years, he accepted the Principalship of the Empire City Schools, which he ably conducted for two years. After this, he filled the position of Assistant Principal in the Galena Public Schools for two years, in the mean time taking part in mining operations here, with which he has been actively connected since. He is now paying his attentions to the study of law, which he proposes to make his future business in life. The mining enterprise with which he is connected raise about 400 tons of ore per month and give employment to fifty workmen. The quality of the ore raised is extra good.
E. T. INGHAM, Principal of the Graded School, was born at Geneva Lake, Wis., March 18, 1856. He received a collegiate education and began teaching in Iowa in 1878. After teaching one season in Iowa, he came to Kansas and taught two terms in Republic County, and then attended the Kansas Normal School at Fort Scott one year; after which he taught in the same institution, commencing in 1881 and teaching four terms, ending in June, 1882. He then took charge of the schools at Galena, Kan., as Principal, in September, 1882. He was married to Miss Ellie Colegrove, who also received a collegiate education, at the University of Chicago.
WILLIAM M. JAMES, general blacksmithing, was born in Pickens County, Ga., in 1849, and was reared in Walker County, Ala., and learned his trade there from his father and was connected with it there till 1869, when he came to Missouri and followed it till 1877. In 1877, he came here and has been connected with it the most of the time since. He married in 1863, Miss Mary J. Farmer, of his native State, who departed this life in 1877, and is buried in Barry County, Mo. She was thirty-two years old, and left one son and a daughter living - Sarah F. and Ezekiel. In 1878, he married Miss Amanda Haddoc, a native of Missouri. They have one son, Daniel F. Mr. James is an active member of the Agricultural and Mechanical Association of Burlington, Kan.