|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - BAXTER SPRINGS. (GARDNER - WRIGHT)
M. H. GARDNER, editor and publisher of the Baxter Springs News, was born in Northern Illinois, March 15, 1856. He came to Kansas at the age of twelve, and at fifteen began the printing business, being at Eureka seven months, and afterward on the Emporia News fifteen months. He was then at Wichita in the Eagle office eight months; then he returned to Emporia and worked on the Ledger. In May, 1877, he engaged with McDowell & Lea at Galena on The Miner, remaining three years, and in 1880 went to Emporia and took a position as foreman on the Emporia News, subsequently buying an interest in the Daily Republican at Galena. In February, 1882, he came to Baxter Springs and took a position as foreman on the Baxter Springs News. He was married to Flora LaPorte, of Columbus, Kan., in 1879. They have two children-Edna P. and Lizzie Mabel.
L C. GOODNER, stock-dealer, Kansas, was born in Illinois, on October 20, 1850. He began herding stock in Illinois at the age of fifteen, in partnership with his father. He remained in Illinois six years, and then came to Carthage, Mo. in l871-72. He came to Baxter Springs in the fall of 1879 and began dealing in cattle and hogs, and has since continued in that business. Mr. Goodner owns a fine residence in Baxter Springs. He is a member of A. 0. of U. W. He was married to Miss Jennie Douglas, of Illinois, September 12, 187O. They have three children-Claud M., Cass and Ethel May.
A. J. GRAVES, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 6, P. 0. Baxter Springs, was born in Morgan County, Ind., in 1832, and was identified with farming there till 1866, when he located here, and has been very successfully connected with his present industry since. In 1858, he married Miss Mary Johnson, who was born and reared in Scott County, Ind. They have three sons and three daughters-George Washington, Anna Maria, Samuel Jefferson, Merdilla, Charles Edward and Eleanora. Mr. Graves has been an active worker in developing the industrial interests of his locality. He is an active supporter of the Presbyterian Church. His farm contains 200 acres of improved land, well fenced, watered and stocked, an orchard of 1,000 fruit trees of a nicely assorted variety, good dwelling, barns and stables.
GEORGE G. GREGG, druggist, was born in Pennsylvania April 5, 1833. He received a practical education, and at the age of eighteen, went steamboating as clerk on the Arkansas River two years. He was next engaged in trade in West Virginia four years, at which time he went to Illinois, and was in the drug business from 1859 to l866, and was also speculating in cotton, in the meantime, three years. He came to Baxter Springs in 1867, and opened a drug store, and now owns in that city residences, business property and vacant lots and also mining lands on Shoal Creek. Is a member of the order of Freemasons and A. 0. U. W. He was married to Miss Emma Tutton, of Illinois, in 1868, and has two children-Blanch and Paul; Ralph, (deceased).
E. A. HAINES, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 5, P. 0. Baxter Springs, was born in Clinton County, Ohio, in 1839, and followed farming there until 1867, when he located and has actively carried it on here since. He married in Brown County, Ohio, in 1860, Miss Sophronia A. Snyder. They have a family of one son and two daughters-Elmer E. E., Carrie E. and Flora M. Mr. Haines is living on the homestead of 160 acres, which he has brought from a state of nature to a beautiful improved farm, well fenced and with nice buildings and an orchard of 1,000 fruit trees of various kinds. He has always worked for the development of the social and public life of big locality, and has served with honorable distinction as a public servant of his municipality and school district.
S. A. HAINES, real estate, insurance and loan agent, was born in Ohio September 18, 1831. He received a high school education, and at the age of nineteen, begin business as Deputy County Auditor in Indiana, holding the position four years. He then engaged in the mercantile business in Indiana, which he continued for twenty-five years, coming to Baxter Springs, Kan., in November, 1879, where he began his present business. He is a member of the A. 0. U. W. and the K. of H. He was married to Miss Annie E. Johnson, of Ohio, in 1859, by whom he has six children-Lafayette, Mabel, Harry, George, Winnie and Eldred. Mrs. Haines died in 1874. His present wife was Miss Ella Monce, of Ohio. They have one child-Stacy.
LEANDER W. HARRIS, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 26, P. 0. Baxter Springs, was born in Lewis County, N. Y., August 14, 1828, and was reared in Switzerland County, Ind., to farming. He spent from 1854 to 1859 in farming in Van Buren County, Iowa, returning again to Indiana. At the breaking-out of the war, he enlisted in Company C, Third Indiana Cavalry, and after an active service of two years he was honorably discharged on account of wounds received at the battle of Antietam. He was with the regiment in its fearful charge through the bridge in that battle. After the war, he followed teaching till 1867, when he settled in Andrew County, Mo., and carried on farming actively till 1873, when he located here and has actively carried on his present industry since. In 1862, he married Miss Hattie E. Henderson, of Vevay, Switzerland Co, Ind. They have one son and daughter-Clarence W. and Carrie A., and he has one son by a former marriage-Robert S., stock-dealer in Burlington, Kan.
HON. CYRUS W. HARVEY, horticulturalist, P. 0. Quakervale, was born in Grant County, Ind., in 1843, and received his rudimentary and literary education in the public schools of his native place: also a regular two years course in Earlham College, Richmond, Ind. At the age of eighteen, he engaged his services in defense of the Union, and enlisted in Company C, Eighty-ninth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and did active service until the end of the war, when he was honorably discharged. In l867, he located here and established the Quaker Valley Nursery, which industry he has been connected with since with the exception of a year or so, lately retiring from active nursery work and paying his attention chiefly to his immense fruit farm of eighty acres of various kinds of fruits. He has always zealously in the interest the church of the Friends, and has been very active as a minister of that society since 1876. In 1879, he established the Western Friend, and has very ably edited and managed it since. In 1872, he represented his district in the Legislative Assembly of the State. He has always worked devotedly for the advancement of the best interests of his locality. He married, in 1869, Miss Lavina J. Carter, a native of Plainfield, Ind. They have three sons and three daughters-Anson, Adolphus, Gertrude, Arzalia, Luella and C. Walton, Jr. Mrs. Harvey is the incumbent of the Postmastership of the Quakervale post office.
E. D. HODGKINS, was born in the State of New York in 1836, where he received an academical education. In 1864, he went to Montana and Idaho, and remained six years. Came to Baxter Springs, Kan., in 1870, and engaged in the mining business four years; rested two years, and then was in the stock business until 1878, and subsequently in the mercantile business until 1882, when he sold out on account of ill health. He owns a residence and business property in Baxter Springs, and a farm in Cherokee County. He was married to Miss Annie Dale, of Illinois, in 1873. They have three children-Zela Estella, Leonard Dale, Hattie Myrtle.
REV. JAMES M. ILIFF, Pastor of the M. E. Church, was born February 1, 1833. He received a high school education, and at the age of eighteen, began business as a mechanic, working at his trade five years. During the next two years he was in the mercantile business in Iowa. He came to Kansas in 1857, and located in Linn County, here he took up 160 acres of land, improving and cultivating it, which he still owns. He has a fine fruit grain and stock farm. He enlisted in the army in 1862 as a private, and was discharged in 1865, as First Lieutenant and Acting Quartermaster. On returning, he engaged in different pursuits until 1868, at which time he entered the ministry, and, in 1874, the itineracy. He was for three years stationed at Uniontown, Kan., and for three years more at Mound City, and is now on the third year as Pastor at Baxter Springs. He is home superintendent of missionary work in the Indian Nation. He has built two churches, one in Linn County and one in Bourbon County, and has gathered about 700 members into the church during his nine years pastorate. The Rev. Mr. Iliff was married to Miss Cassandria Dennis, of Perrysville, Ind., December 1, 1853. They have four children living-Daniel A., Ezra M., James N and Benjamin G.
ANDREW JOHNSON, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 17, P. O. Baxter Springs was born in Knox County, Ill., in 1840, and followed farming in Illinois till 1879, when he settled here, and has carried on farming and stock-raising since. June 2, 1862, he married Miss Martha Austin in DeKalb County, Ill., where he had carried on farming for five years. They have a family of three sons and two daughters-Horace, Hattie, Nora, Ford and Roscoe.
G. L. KENNEDY, Police Judge and boot and shoe maker, was born in Pennsylvania, February 24, 1829. He began shoe making in Pennsylvania at the age of sixteen, and continued in that occupation six years. He then went to Virginia and remained until 1861, when he entered the army and served three years. He was then employed as mail agent twelve years, in Virginia, coming to Kansas in 1880, and locating at Baxter Springs, where he was engaged in stock business one year, and then opened his present business, being elected Police Judge of Baxter Springs, in 1881. He was married to Miss Mary A. Hasleton, of Virginia, in 1856, and has four children-Clara B., Margaret Ophelia, Sarah Catherine and Georgiana. He is a member of the A., F. A. & M.
D. R. LEE, dentist, was born in Canada on the 18th of April, 1842. He received a collegiate dental education, graduating at Philadelphia in 1864. He practiced in Philadelphia ten or twelve years, at Pittsburg two years and came to Chicago in 1878, where he remained two years. He came to Baxter Springs, Kan., in 1880. He was married to Miss Belle R. Dyer, of Illinois, in 1879.
JAMES W. LINDSEY, farmer and stock-raiser, Sections 7 and 18, P. O. Baxter Springs, was born and reared in Butler County, Penn. At the breaking out of the late civil war he enlisted in Company H, Seventy-eighth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and did active service until November, 1864, when he was honorably discharged. In 1867; he came here and located, and has been sucessfully connected with his present business since. His farm contains l72 acres of improved land well fenced and watered and stocked. It has a nice orchard of 200 fruit trees, good buildings, etc. Mr. Lindsey has, for the last seven years, operated rather actively in connection with threshing business, and has the most improved machinery in that line controlled by steam power, with a capacity of turning out 700 bushels of grain a day. As a matter fact, Mr. Lindsey began his life here with $140, and has by dint of steady and persistent industry accumulated a handsome competence. He is one of the most active workers in connection with the development of the social life of his locality, and although having no children, he is one of the most active workers in his district for the support of good schools.
DR. A. J. McCLELLAN was born in Fayette County, Penn., in July, 1834. He attended Madison College, Penn., in 1856-57; Michigan Medical Univerity at Ann Arbor, in 1861, and the Medical College of Kansas City, Mo., in 1881. He was engaged in the drug business and the practice of Medicine in Warrensburg, Mo., for nine years. In 1870, he came to Baxter Springs and began the practice of medicine, which he is still continuing. He had a mining interest in the "Stanly Lead Diggings," on Shoal Creek in 1872. He is a member of the School Board of Baxter Springs and of the A., F. & A. M., I. O. O. F., and A. O. U. W. He was married to Miss Sallie Rountree, of Missouri, in 1863. They have one son-George B.
M. T. McMICKLE, of the firm of McMickle & Naylor, general merchants, was born in Indiana January 18, 1827. He received a business education, and at the age of twenty-one went boating on the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers, continuing in that occupation until 1850, when he went to California and remained two years: mining, and then returned to Indiana and farmed two years. He was then in mercantile business in Illinois four years, next in stock and ranch business in Texas until l865, when he went into mercantile business in the same State, and carried it on until 1872, at which time he came to Baxter Springs, Kan., and opened business in dry goods, which he ran alone six years, and in 1868, associated himself with Mr. Coruth. In 1881, he formed a partnership with Mr. Naylor in the same business. Mr. McMlickle owns large city real estate, being residences, business properties and business lots. He was appointed County Clerk, District Clerk, Justice of the Peace, County Treasurer and Postmaster in Texas, representing half a dozen counties. He was elected alderman two terms in Baxter Springs. He is a member of the order of Freemasons. Was married to Miss Jane Blunk, of Indiana in 1855, who died in 1856. Was married to Miss L. E. McCreery, of Illinois, in 1858, who died in 1878, by whom he had two children-Mary Jane (deceased) and Libbie. He was married to Miss L. H. Cummings, of Baxter Springs, in 1881.
WILLIAM J. MAHAN, contractor and builder, was born in Pleasant Hill, McLean Co., Illinois, in 1812. At the breaking-out of the war he enlisted his services in Company K, Eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and soon after was instituted in the commissary of the Quartermaster's department with which he was connected till 1864, his term of enlistment; he then re-enlisted and veteraned in the Thirteenth Indiana, Company G, and remained in it till the end of the war, in the comissariat, when he was honorably discharged. After the war, he engaged at his present business in Bloomington, Ill., and followed it there till 1869, when, after spending several years in connection with his present business in Missouri and Texas, he located in Kansas and has been connected with it in the State almost continuously since. In 1877, he was married in Joplin, Mo., to Miss Martha A. Miller, of De Witt, Illinois. They have one little girl living, Eula May. Mr. Mahon is an active member of the K. of P. society. Since coming to the State, he has left important relics of his handicraft principally in Abilene, Kan., and in the mining and smelting institutions of Galena and Empire City.
COL. WILLIAM MARCH, Postmaster, real estate and loan broker, was born in Highland Co., Ohio, September 22, 1834. He received a classical education and graduated from Hillsborough at the head of his class in 1853. His chosen occupation was that of farming, which he prosecuted with energy and zeal until the breaking-out of the rebellion when, believing the country needed his services as a soldier, and, like a loyal citizen in his country's peril, he laid aside his chosen occupation and took up arms in the defence of the principles he loved. He served as a faithful soldier until the close of the war and received an honorable discharge. He then engaged in mercantile business until 1870, when he sold out and moved West. He was appointed agent by the Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad to dispose of lands along their line. Col. March was one of the originators of the Baxter Springs Medical Association, and is now corresponding secretary of the same. He is, and has been, an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church for a number of years. H is also a member of the A., F. & A. M. and A. O. U. W. orders. The Colonel is a staunch Republican, and has done much valuable service for his party wherever he has operated. He has been a delegate to every County and State Convention for several years, and was at one time a prominent candidate for Lieutenant Governor. He was married to Miss Frank C. Wescott of Lansing, Mich., in 1874. They have one child, Harry Blair, living, and one, Bessie Helene, deceased.
WILLIAM S. MICHENER, farmer and stock raiser, Section 24, P. O., Baxter Springs, was born in Bucks Co., Penn., in 1811 and was reared to farming which he followed there till at the age of fifty-one, he settled in Delaware County, Ind.; followed farming there till 1880 when he settled here. In 1833, he married Matilda B. Morris who was born in Bucks County in 1810. They have two sons, George W., veterinary surgeon, of Baxter Springs, and E. M. E. M. Michener was born in Bucks Co., Penn., in June, 1841, and has been identified with his father in his business since. In 1865, He married Miss Amanda J. Williams, who was born in Delaware Co., Ind., in 1844. They have three sons and two daughters, Oliver M., Hallie B., Ola M., Homer A. and Walter A. Mr. E. M. Michener, did active service in the One Hundred and Eighteenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Company B, during the last civil war. The Micheners are descendants of the old Quaker stock of Pennsylvania. The farm consists of l6Oacres of improved land, well fenced and stocked and watered. It contains a nice orchard of 250 fruit trees of various kinds, and has good dwellings and barns and stables.
JULIEN C. NAYLOR, stock dealer, was born in North Carolina, December 16, 1842. He lost his father at the age of fourteen, and after that time the care of the family fell on him. He continued on the farm until the age of eighteen, at which time he enlisted in the army and served until 1865, and he was then a farmer until 1867, when he came to Baxter Springs and began farming and dealing in stock in that place. He owns a residence and lots in Baxter Springs, and a 700 acre stock and grain farm mostly under cultivation. He is a member of A., F. & A. M. and A. 0. U. W., and was elected Mayor of Baxter Springs in 1881. He was married to Miss Elizabeth Robbins, of Illinois September 6, 1866. They have four children-Walter, Blanche, Myrtie and Pearl.
CHRISTIAN NULL, proprietor of Indiana House, was born in Ohio, October 5, 1818. He farmed in Indiana forty years, raising stock and grain. In 1880, he came to Kansas and located on a farm two miles west of Baxter Springs where he remained eighteen months, and at end of this time he came to Baxter Springs and took charge of Indiana Hotel.
J. B. OPPERMAN, manufacturer and dealer in saddles, harness, bridles, etc., was born in Strasbourg, France, in 1846, and came to America with his people in 1852, who settled in Ohio, where he was reared to his present profession. In 1868, he located in Leavenworth and carried on his trade till 1870, when he located here and has very suceessfully conducted his present business since. In 1873, he married Miss Jenny Hunter, a native of Urbana, Ohio, who departed this life 1879, and is buried in the Baxter Springs cemetery, leaving one son Charles L. Mr. Opperman did active service during the late Civil War in the Seventeenth Ohio Independent Battery. Since locating here, he has, by dint steady, persistent industry, increased his business over 3OO per cent, and has accumulated a handsome competence.
P. J. PFENNING, Superintendent of the Bonanza Mining and Smelting Company, was born at Bingen, on the Rhine, Germany, in 1844, and came to America in 1846 with his people who settled in New York city, where he was reared to the profession of tobacconist. In 1864 h joined a party for the purpose of operating in mining and crossed the plains and located at first in Virginia City, Nev., where he engaged at mining for some time. After operating in Mining in Montana Territory and also in California, he came here in 1870, and has been identified with the mining industry here since. In 1873, he married Miss Alice M. Cooley, of Bushnell, Ill. They have a family of three daughters, Frankie, Blanche and Nina. Mr. Pfenning has worked actively in the development of the public, social and industrial life of his locality since coming here. Served as Mayor of Baxter Springs for two terms. He has been an active member of the A.. F. & A. M society since 1866.
WILLIAM D. PINNICK, farmer, Section 35, P. 0. Baxter Springs, was born in Indiana February 2, 1841. He was raised on a farm, received a liberal education, entered the army September 18, 1861, and was mustered out September 17, 1864. He returned to Indiana and lived on a farm four years, and then went to Newton County, Mo., and farmed ten years, and then came to Cherokee County, Kan., where he has since lived, engaged in farming and dealing in cattle and horses. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he is Superintendent and Steward, and is also Steward of the Board of Stewards who have charge of Wyandotte Aid Society. He was one of the organizers of Elm Tree School and of the Sunday school and church at the same place, and has organized two other Sunday schools. He was married to Miss Virginia Brown of North Carolina February 25, 1864. They have five children-Nora, Minnie F., C. Claud, Myrtle and James A. Garfield.
JAMES W. PINKSTON, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 6, P. 0. Baxter Springs, was born in Jefferson County, Tenn., in 1822, and was reared in Washington County, Va., where he followed the pump carpentering trade. After spending about six months in travel through Texas and the Indian Territory, he located here in 1868, and has been very sucessfully connected with the farming and stock-rearing industry here since. He has a family of three sons and two daughters living-Martha Jane, Now Mrs. Zimri B. Carr, of Humboldt; Mrs. Mary Jones, of this township, James W., John B. and Lincoln. Mr. Pinkston began his life here upon a comparitively small capital, and by dint of steady and persistent industry, accumulated a handsome property for himself, and has settled upon his family a goodly amount to each.
JOHN POLSTER, deceased, was born in Hungary, Germany, in 1837. He came to America in 1860 and located in Missouri, where he was engaged in the dry-goods business until 1868, when he came to Baxter Springs, Kan., and started the same business, which he continued until the time of his death, 1880. Mr. Polster was married December 28, 1862, to Miss Christain Boehmer, of Missouri, and two days after being married, went to Rolla, Mo., and remained until May, 1863. He then spent two weeks at home, and then went to Springfield, Mo., and remained until December, when he came home again and stayed one month. He then went to Fort Smith and returned home in November, and commenced housekeeping; opened the dry goods business in Missouri at the same time. He kept store three years, and then sold out and came to Baxter Springs in l868. In May, 1871, he brought his family to Baxter Springs.
ALLEN RAKESTRAW, contractor and builder, was born in Kankakee County, Ill., in 1836, and was reared to the farming industry, with which be was actively connected there till 1870, when he came here, and has been very sucessfully connected with this present industry here since. He married in Iroquois County, Ill., in 1860, Miss Amelia E. Van Fosson, a native of Licking County, Ohio. They have one daughter-Ella P. Among the many relics of Mr. Rakestraw's handicraft here, is the public school of this city (his first contract), and many public buildings and private residences. He has been active as an official in his county since locating here.
ROBERT H. SANDS, bookkeeper for McMickle & Naylor, was born in Indiana June 20, 1842. He received a high school education, and at the age of eighteen, began clerking in Indiana, and continued in that occupation for several years, in the meantime being engaged during 1864 and 1865, in steamboating on the Ohio River. He was then engaged in merchandise for himself until 1870, and was then trading on the 0hio and Mississippi Rivers until 1873. He was then for three and a half years in the Government Civil Service, and was employed on the river a short time before coming to Kansas. In the spring of 1879, he located in Baxter Springs, and took his present position in March, 1879. He is a Freemason and Master Mason. He was married to Miss Tillie M. Tucker, of Indiana, in March, 1866. They have two children-Robert W. and Leila.
JAMES SMITH, general blacksmithing and wagon and carriage making, was born in Munfordville, Hart County, Ky. in 1843, and learned his trade in Liberty, Clay County, Mo. He was identified with his profession principally in Liberty and Chillicothe till 1870, when he located here, where he has sucessfully carried on his present industry since. In 1870, he married Miss Clara E. Darlington, of Chillicothe, Mo. They have a family of two sons and three daughters-Maud, Agnes, Lillie, Oscar and Roscoe. Mr. Smith did service in the late war in the Eighth Missouri State Militia, and afterward in the Sixteenth Kansas Volunteers, Company I, from which he was honorably discharged.
W. B. SPENCER, dealer in lumber, lime, cement, etc., and proprietor of the Excelsior Livery Stables. Mr. Spencer was born in Huron County, Ohio, on October 9, 1843. At the age of eighteen, he enlisted his services in defense of the Union in 1861, in Company I, Third Ohio Volunteer Cavalry, and remained in active service till the end of the war, when he was honorably discharged as veteran of Company I, Third Ohio. He did service in the first battle at Corinth, battles of Stone River, Franklin, Tenn., in Wilson's Cavalry raid, from Resaca to Jonesboro, battles of Selma and Perrysville, and innumerable skirmishes. He located in Columbia, Tenn., after the war, in connection with the milling industry, which he retired from in 1866, and returned to his native place. In April, of the following year, he sailed for Europe, visiting in England at the home of his ancestors, also visiting the World's Fair, returning to America in 1868, and locating here, and engaging at the livery business, and subequently established a stage route between this point and Joplin and Oronogo in Missouri. In 1873, he was appointed by the Government to carry the mails between these points, retiring from it when the railroad became completed. In 1878, he established the lumber business, and has successfully carried it on since. Mr. Spencer has always taken an active part in all measures tending toward the development of the social, public and industrial life of this city since locating here. He is at present a member of the School Board, and has been active as an official in many civic positions. Is an active member of the I. O. O. F. and A. O. U. W. societies here.
JAMES W. TAYLOR, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 16, P. 0. Baxter Springs, was born in Caroline County, Va., in 1844, and was reared in Guernsey County, Ohio. In 1860, he settled in Bureau County, Ill., and July 26, 1861, enlisted in Company B, Forty-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and remained in active service until the end of the war, when be was honorably discharged, as a veteran of Company B, Forty-second Illinois Infantry. In 1876, he left Bureau County, and carried on farming in Texas until 1879, when be located here, and has carried on farming actively since. In 1866, he married in Geneseo, Henry County, Ill., Miss Martha Wilkins, who was born in Henry County, Ill., in l848, she dying April 26, 1866. In October 10, 1869, he married Froella Haiselder, of Buda, Bureau County, Ill. She was born near Fort Rowan, Canada West, March 10, 1844. They have had three children-Henry E., Adaline E. and Bertha M. Mr. Taylor is an active member of I. 0. 0. F. and A. 0. U. W. societies. His farm contains eighty acres, well fenced and stocked and has 600 fruit trees.
WALTER S. TUTTLE, dealer in books and stationery, was born in Maine in 1858. He is a graduate of Earlham College, Richmond, Ind. In 1878, he bought out the stationery business of L. Coles, in Post Office building, Baxter Springs, and has since continued in the same business. Mr. Tuttle owns considerable real estate in the town of Baxter. He was, during the latter part of 1882, acting Postmaster, and is now Assistant Postmaster of that place.
M. J. VANCE, of the firm of Horp Bros. & Vance, butchers, was born in Fayette County, Penn., March 10, 1816, He was raised on a farm, and at the age of twenty-two years, he went to Ohio, where he farmed twenty-five years, then moved to Illinois in 1863, where he remained five years on a farm. He came to Kansas in 1868 and continued farming until 1882, when he sold out and began the butchering business. He is a member of the Baptist Church. He was married to Miss Matilda Tenna, of Ohio, in 1838. They have five children living-Rachel, Francis, Eliza, Margaret and Thomas. His wife died in 1875. He was married to Mrs. Mary Tanner, of Kansas, October, 1876.
ALBERT WILLARD, dealer in agricultural implements, was born in the State of New York, November 19, 1834. He received a practical education and learned the carpenter's trade, at which he worked four years. He then farmed two years, then freighted in Kansas until 1866, and then handled cattle two years. He built a mill on Spring River in 1870, which he is now running, and to which business he has added flour, feed, grain and farming implements, and is also carrying on a grain and stock farm in connection with the above business. He owns 1,800 acres, with 600 acres in cultivation, a hotel in Galena, mining lands in Galena, one-half of 160 acres of mining land south of Baker Digging, in Galena, one 100 lots in Galena, and residences and business property in Baxter Springs. He was married to Miss L. A. Harlan, of Cherokee County, Kan., 1872. They have one child-Leon L.
J. WISWELL, of the firm of Spencer & Wiswell, stock-dealers, and of the firm of Wiswell & Co., meat market, was born in Ashtabula County, Ohio, in 1856, and received his rudimentary education in the district schools of his native county. He then spent three years in a literary course at the Grand River Institute, of Ohio, and afterward two years in the Wooster University of Ohio; meantime be engaged in the profession of teaching, and was connected with it in Ohio till 1880, two years of which he spent as teacher in Wooster University. In 1880, he came here and accepted the principalship of the city schools, and has reputably held it to the present year, meantime engaging in the above named industries successfully. On Christmas, 1879, he married Miss Jennie E. Bishop, of Harpersfield, Ohio. They have one little girl-Alice J. Mr. Wiswell has worked actively in all measures tending toward the development of the industries of the city since locating here.
HALEY B. WRIGHT, of the firm of Cooper & Wright, general merchants was born in Texas, February 24, 1853. He received a practical education and at the age of twenty-two began farming in Cherokee County, Kan., and continued in that occupation for three years afterward, carrying on the grocery and queensware business for four years. In 1880, he became associated with Mr. John M. Cooper in general mercantile business and has now one of the largest establishments in this section of the country. Mr. Wright owns a farm in Cherokee County, residence and business property in Baxter Springs and real estate in Webbville, Mo. He was married to Miss Annie McClane, of Illinois, October 14, 1875. They have two children-Isaac H. and Charley H.