|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
This place was founded by Martin Knuckols in 1869. The prospect upon which the town was started was that it was thought it would fall upon the line of the Leavenworth, Lawrence & Gulf Railroad when that road should be built, and from that cause would make a good town.
Knuckols threw his whole soul into the project, in the hope of making a fine speculation. He erected a large hotel at a cost of about $3,000, and was pushing other improvements as rapidly as possible. But the railroad failed to connect as Knuckols had anticipated, and in going in another direction Knuckols and his town were left high and dry. The hotel has since burned down, and the town to all intents and purposes has become defunct, nothing remaining except a few houses, blacksmith shop, post office, etc.
This point was started in 1871. A petition was sent to the Post Office Department, asking that a post office be established at the place, to be called Matanzas. The petition was so poorly written that the authorities were unable to make out the name that was desired, and wrote to D. Clark, Postmaster at Peru, asking him what it was. Clark, cognizant of a good joke, wrote back the name Jay Hawk, and accordingly the office under that name was duly established. The people of the village and vicinity were very much perplexed over the joke that had been played upon them, and afterward had the name of the office changed to the name desired.
This place began its existence in 1876, under the proprietorship of H. V. Jones, who erected a hotel called the Jones House. S. White began a merchandising business, which he afterward sold to Mr. McGuire. In the summer of 1880, J. T. Yates opened a general store, and in 1882 Minner & Mayfield started a drug store, and a man named Kidd a general store.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - SUMMIT TOWNSHIP.
T. A. CALVERT, merchant, Wauneta, was born in Campbell County, Ky., in 1846. When eight years of age, his parents emigrated to Kansas, locating at Wathena, Doniphan County. The county was wild, and four houses comprised the town. The subject of this sketch was brought up on a farm near the town. In 1862, he enlisted in the Sixteenth Kansas Cavalry, serving until the close of the war. The first of the service was in Kansas and Missouri, and the latter part of the time served on the plains in the Powder River, Country. After coming out of the army, he located at Ozark, Ark., and served as Sheriff one year in Franklin County. He was then appointed Clerk of the committee which investivated (sic) the murders of Pope County, after which he was appointed United States Deputy Marshal at Fort Smith, remaining there until 1874. Thence to Southwestern Missouri, where he engaged in blacksmithing. At the end of one year, he engaged in farming. Thence to Chautauqua County, Kan., and built a blacksmith shop at Fulda, now known as Wauneta. He soon after put up a store and put in a stock of general merchandise; soon after sold out and put in a stock of drugs. In the spring of 1883, he laid out the town site of Wauneta and formed a copartnership with Dr. Hahn and put up a large store and put in a large stock of goods. Also handles farm machinery and carries on a blacksmith and wagon shop. He also served one year as Postmaster of the place. He was married in 1870, to Miss A. M. Scrimsher, of Arkansas. They have two children -- Leo and Mina. He is a member of Cedar Vale Post, No. 99, G. A. R., and Sedan Lodge No. 141, I. O. O. F.
M. B. CHRISMAN, farmer and merchant, Wauneta, was born in Scott County, Va., in 1835, but was raised in Carter County, Ky., until twenty-two years of age, going from there to Arkansas, locating near Helena, and engaged in farming and carpentering. Remaining there until the war broke out, and being among the strong Pro-slavery people, he found he could not express his sentiments without getting in trouble, as he was a strong anti-slavery advocate, and when the conscript law was passed they tried to force him into the Confederate army, but he got away and went to Helena and enlisted in the Federal army. As soon as it was known he had gone, a party went to his place and abused his wife and family, and took the most of his goods and furniture and whatever they wanted, and told his wife she must not try to go to the d----d Yankees. She then took a team that night, and put a few things and her children, and started for Helena, fifteen miles distant, but was stopped by some of the Confederates, and taken out of the wagon and the balance of her property taken, and told that she must not go to the Yankees. But she pleaded with the officers to go to the nearest house, and finally received their consent, and that night, with a little help, succeeded in getting an old boat, and after getting her children into it, went down the river to Helena, where her husband was stationed, and he received a furlough and took his family to Illinois. He then returned and served three years in the Second Arkansas Cavalry. After coming out of the army, he returned to his family in Illinois, and in 1867 emigrated to Kansas, locating in Shawnee County, where he engaged in farming, and remained there six years. In 1873, he located in Howard County, and bought a farm of 160 acres on Section 36, Town 33, Range 9, which he improved; has the place improved, with 90 acres in cultivation, 7 acres of orchard, good buildings; the whole place fenced, and stocked with 60 head of cattle, 8 to 15 head of horses, and a good many hogs. In the spring of 1883, he bought one-third interest in the town of Wauneta, and in company with T. Falvert, put in a stock of farm machinery and clothing, and are putting up a store building, 20x40, two stories high. In 1855, he was married to Miss Sarah M. Fugett, of Carter County, Ky. They have nine children, viz.: John, Marion, Isaac, Frederick, Sod, Morton, George, Iva, Lillian. Is a member of Cedar Vale Post, No 99, G. A. R., and a member of the M. E. Church.
W. J. GROVES, merchant, Wauneta, was born in Carroll County, Mo., in 1849. When sixteen years of age, he emigrated to Indiana, locating in Perry County. After remaining there for a time, he removed to Ohio, locating in Fairfield County, remaining there until March, 1866. He then moved to Vermillion County, Ill., and remained until the spring of 1870. Emigrated from there to Kansas, and remained in Labette County until the spring of 1871. Then removed to Howard County, and was one of the pioneers of Summit Township, now Chautauqua County. Here he located on a claim on Section 36, Township 33, Range 9. Was eighty miles from a railroad. He began improving his place, and remained there until August, 1882, except one year, when he had a Government contract in the Osage Nation. He has fifty acres of his place under cultivation, a good orchard planted, good buildings, fences and stables, well watered by Shanghai Creek, and has been engaged in farming and stock-raising. In August, 1882, he located at Wauneta and engaged in general merchandise. He has a large trade, which is increasing very rapidly; he is also Postmaster at that point, and is an active, practical business man, and is bound to make a success in his new departure. He came to Kansas without anything, and has accumulated all he has since he settled in Chautauqua County. In January, 1876, he was married to Miss N. L. Huff, of Summit Township.
D. G. HAHN, M. D., Wauneta, was born in Licking County, Ohio, in 1845, and was raised in Ohio. In 1866, he commenced reading medicine, and in 1868-69, he attended Sterling Medical College at Columbus, graduating in the spring of 1869. He then located in Marshall County, Ind., and practiced medicine there nearly one year; thence to Iowa, where he remained until 1876, and from there he came to Kansas, locating in Sumner County and resumed the practice of medicine. While there, he was identified with several town companies, and laid out the town of Caldwell in 1870, Sumner City in 1871, Wellington in 1871 and Chikaskia. The Doctor was one of the pioneers of this county as there were but a few settlers here and the surveys had not been made when he settled here. He also took a claim, and he and his partner started a trading post there when the nearest settlers were twelve miles distant. He also practiced medicine all the time while there. In the spring of 1882, he went to Cowley County and remained there until the following September, when he settled in Chautauqua County, and remained in Sedan until March, 1883, when he secured one-third interest in the town site of Wauneta, and located there and put in a stock of drugs, and engaged in the practice of medicine. He is doing a nice business, and has made a host of friends during his short residence at that point. In 1874, he was married to Miss Sarah A. Springer, of Sumner County, Kan. They have two children, viz.: Charley and Murtie.
E. B. HIBBARD, M. D., Wauneta, was born in Athens County, Ohio, in 1831. In 1838, his parents migrated to Clark County, Ill., remaining there until sixteen years of age; thence to Peoria, Ill.; began reading medicine, and in 1867, migrated to Kansas, locating in Crawford County. He then took a medical course at the Physiological College of Cincinnati, and graduated in the spring of 1869. He then located at the Osage Mission and engaged in the practice of his profession until 1871; thence to Howard County and located a claim on Grant Creek before the survey was made; lived on this claim until the fall of 1876, when he was elected Clerk of Chautauqua County, on its organization, and held the office two terms. While in Sedan, he formed a co-partnership with Mr. Ackerman, and bought the steam flouring mill at that point. When his last term of office expired, he closed out his interest in the mill, and bought a farm on Section 1, Town 34, Range 9, of 360 acres, on Shanghai Creek; has the place all fenced, 150 acres in cultivation, two acres of orchard, good buildings and good timber. The place is under the supervision of his son, while the Doctor devotes his time to his practice, which keeps him busy. In 1854, he was married, but his wife died the following year, and in 1860, he was married to Miss Hattie A. Harvey, of Tazewell County, Ill. They have five living children, viz.: James B., Charles E., Ross R., Robert L. and Nettie Maud. He is a member of the Masonic order and of Sedan Lodge No. 1, 987, K. of H.
W. W. JONES, farmer, P. O. Wauneta, was born in Wales in 1832. When four years of age, he emigrated to America with his parents, who settled in Cambria County, Penn., and here the subject of this sketch was brought up until nineteen years of age. His opportunities for acquiring an education being very limited and having a desire to learn, he went to Huntingdon County and attended school and then took a scientific course at Lewisburg University. In 1855, he emigrated to Johnson County, Iowa, and engaged in farming and teaching school. In 1859, he took the gold fever and struck out for Pike's Peak, but soon returned as he claimed, "busted." In 1861, he enlisted in the Fourteenth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and served nearly five years, the greater portion of the time fighting the Indians on the frontier. After the first year he was on detailed service as clerk in the Quartermaster's Department except the last year, when he was transferred to the Adjutant General's office. After receiving his discharge in June 1866, he located at Ottawa, Kan., and engaged in lumbering. After a few months, he located in Crawford County, and engaged in farming. In 1872, he settled in Howard County, and located a claim near the old town of Boston, on the present line of Chautauqua and Elk Counties, which was then talked of as the county seat, and the next fall was elected County Treasurer of Howard County, and was re- elected in 1875, and when the county was divided he came to Sedan and served out his term as he first Treasurer of Chautauqua County. From 1879 until 1882, he was engaged in the hardware and agricultural implement business in Sedan, carrying the first stock of agricultural implements in the county. Mr. Jones has always taken an active part in all public enterprises, and was the nominee on the Republican ticket in 1878, for Representative, but was defeated with the whole ticket by the fusion of Democrats and Greenbackers. He has been tendered the nomination to several important offices since, but has refused, not caring for a public life. However, he is the present Coroner of the county, the office requiring but little of his time or attention. His appointment was the last official act of Gov. St. John. He is well fitted and thoroughly competent to fill any office, and is one of the best posted and most systematical men in the county. He has been and is a frequent contributor to his county and other papers, and is frequently engaged in addresses and lectures on different topics and subjects. In 1874, he was united in marriage to Miss Mary V. Johnson of Parsons, Kan. They have four children -- Walter W. (first male child born in Sedan), Don Paul, Owen N. and Mary Norma. He is a member of Vesper Lodge, No. 136, A., F. & A. M. Is Secretary of Ciroc Chapter , No. 42, R. A. M.; member of Sedan Lodge, No. 1,987, K. of H., and a member of Sedan Lodge, No. 141, I. O. O. F. Mr. Jones speaks the Welsh language.
D. E. SHARTEL, farmer, P. O. Wauneta, was born in Crawford County, Penn., in 1834, and lived there until the breaking-out of the rebellion. In 1862, he enlisted in the Ninety-ninth Pennsylvania Infantry; was then transferred to the One Hundred and Ninety-ninth Infantry, and served over three years. Received a slight wound at the battle of the Wilderness. After coming out of the army he migrated to Knox County, Mo., where he engaged in teaching; also served three years as Superintendent of Schools, and in 1872, came to Kansas, locating in Howard County; took a claim on Section 31, Town 33, Range 9; was fifty miles from a railroad and there were but a few families in the township. He has 320 acres enclosed with fence, 150 acres in cultivation, an orchard of 2,000 peach, 150 apple trees and a variety of other fruits, and is engaged in stock-raising, has 125 head of cattle and other stock of various kinds. In 1880, was elected Superintendent of Schools in Chautauqua County. In November, 1882, he engaged in the mercantile business at Wauneta, and in March, 1883, was appointed Postmaster. Mr. Shartel is a pleasant gentleman, and has been a leader in all public matters in his township since he has been there. In 1859, he was married to Miss Mary J. Wiley, of Medina, Mo. They have seven children, viz.; C. M., J. W., Nora, L. S., Dora, Mark and Vernon. Mr. S. is a member of Stone River Post No. 74, G. A. R., and Cedar Vale Lodge, I. O. O. F.
DANIEL BACON, farmer, P. O. Cedar Vale, was born in Madison County, Ill., in 1820, but lived the most of the time until 1853 in Indiana, going from there to Iowa, locating in Marion County, where he remained until 1872. From there he moved to Kansas, locating in Howard County, and took a claim on Section 15, Town 34, Range 8. At that time, he was 120 miles from a railroad. Mr. Bacon has his place well improved, all inclosed with a good fence, fifty acres under cultivation, has planted a fine orchard, and has the finest grove of soft maples in the county. He has good buildings, his house is 16x30, is well made, and the lumber was drawn in wagons fifty-five miles; barn 14x24 feet, besides stables, granary corn cribs, etc. Mr. Bacon is one of the best citizens in the township, and is a thrifty and successful farmer. He served seventeen months in the Thirty-third Iowa Volunteer Infantry, receiving a wound at Jenkin's Ferry, in Arkansas. He was married, in 1843, in White County, Ind., to Miss E. Noel. They have eleven children -- Marshall, LaFayette, Orie, Wayne, Sanford, Solan, Edith and Ida, twins; Royal, Anderson and Carrie. He is a member of Cedar Vale Lodge, No. 99, Grand Army of the Republic.
R. T. BLACK, farmer, P. O. Wauneta, was born in Wayne County, Ind., in 1837, and lived there until twenty-one years of age; thence to Illinois, and was married to Miss Angeline Zentmire, August, 1860; then returned to Indiana, where he remained until March, 1863; from there he went to Mercer County, Ill., and staid [sic] there until the fall of 1866; thence to Chariton County, Mo., where he bought forty acres of railroad land, built a house and fences and broke up about fifteen acres and planted it to corn and raised a fair crop. He thought that luck was his then. Things went on until the next spring. He thought, as he had raised so much on the sod, he would raise a good big crop now that the ground was more pulverized. But dry weather set in in time to prevent very much corn from being raised. In the fall of 1868, he emigrated to Kansas with an ox-team, and located in Allen County, two miles east of Iola. In the spring of 1869, he moved to Labette County and made a claim. After it was deeded, he sold one eighty for $400. In the fall of 1872, he sold the other eighty for $1,000, and moved to Howard County and made a claim on Grant Creek, on southwest quarter of Section 23, Town 34, Range 9 east. He has a good stock farm now of 320 acres, watered by the creek, with an abundance of timber, and about 100 acres under fence, sixty-five acres under cultivation. He has planted a good orchard, and on the whole has a fine stock farm, with about fifty head of cattle. Mr. Black did well in this county, and is an experienced farmer. He has three children -- Alice, Nettie and Wesley. Mr. Black and family, except the son, are members of the Christian Church.
J. H. CARNEY, farmer, P. O. Cedar Vale, was born in Allegany County, N. Y., 1841, and was a resident of that county until 1862, when he enlisted in the One Hundred and Eighth New York Infantry, Company B, serving three years; was in the Army of the Potomac and was in the battle of Antietam after which he was appointed Quartermaster, and stationed at Washington, where he remained until his discharge in 1865. Returning to New York, he took a commercial course at Rochester, and in 1866 came West, locating at Baxter Springs, Cherokee Co., Kan., where he engaged in buying and shipping stock, and also carried on a large farm. In 1871, sold out and located in Howard County, locating a claim near the present site of Cedar Vale, and engaging in stock-raising; brought with him 140 head of cattle, among which were some full- blood, thoroughbred Short-horns, the first fine cattle brought into the county. He has devoted his attention to raising fine stock of all kinds, and for a number of years has been engaged in raising Clydesdale horses and jacks. He has a fine farm of 400 acres, watered by the Caney River, and an abundance of timber, which furnishes fine shelter for his stock; has 260 acres inclosed with fences, 240 acres in cultivation, a fine orchard of 400 apple trees, besides a large variety of other fruits; has erected a fine stone house and other buildings. The subject of this sketch is one of the most successful stock men in the county, and has gained a reputation for fine stock. In 1867, was married to Miss Amelia Spence, of Lawrence, Kan. They have two children, viz.: Walter F. and Cora L. Mr. Carney is a member of Cedar Vale Post, No. 99, G. A. R., of Vesper Lodge, No. 136, A., F. & A. M., of Sedan.
SAMUEL FLORER, farmer, P. O. Harts Mill, was born in Monroe County, Ind., in 1842, where he lived until fifteen years of age, thence to Champaign County, Ill. After remaining there two years, went to Jefferson County and from there to Cowles County, and in 1862, enlisted in the One Hundred and Twenty-third Illinois Volunteer Infantry. His regiment afterward became a mounted regiment attached to Wilder's Brigade, Mounted Infantry, Army of the Cumberland, and he served until May, 1865. In the spring of 1868, he emigrated to Kansas and located in Neosho County, and took a claim on the Neosho River before the land was in market. This claim he improved and resided on until 1872, when he sold out and located in Howard County, now Chautauqua , and made a claim on Section 22, Town 34, Range 9, and built a blacksmith shop, which he has carried on all the time since, except one year; besides fencing his place, putting sixty acres under cultivation, planted an orchard and made various other improvements. In September, 1867, he was married at Charleston, Ill., to Miss Alzina Mitchell, of that place. They have five children -- John E., Samuel O., Thomas A., Rosetta May and Lillie C. Mr. F. is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
S. HOLROYD, farmer and stock dealer, P. O. Cedar Vale, was born in Yorkshire, England, Halifax Parish, in 1818, and was raised there until the age of seventeen years, when he emigrated to America in 1825, locating in Chenango County, N. Y. In 1847, he emigrated to Iowa, locating near Burlington, and engaged in teaching, thence to Bureau County, Ill., remaining there until 1867, where he was engaged in farming, emigrating from there to Kansas. He engaged in the mercantile business in Cherokee County. In 1870, sold out and settled in Howard County and located a claim on Section 32, Town 34, Range 9, and also opened a store and sold the first goods in Harrison Township, and at the end of two years sold out his stock of goods and turned his attention to stock-raising, and is at present about the largest dealer in stock in the county; his farm consists of 1,800 acres all inclosed with fence but half a section; 350 acres are cultivated, eight acres of orchard and good buildings, and has the placed [sic] stocked with 400 head of cattle and 200 hogs, also buys, feeds and ships a great many cattle each year. Mr. Holroyd has been one of the most successful stockmen in the county and with all his business to attend to has found time to preach the Gospel the most of the time since he has been here. He is a member of the Baptist Church. In 1881, he was elected County Commissioner for the First District. He was married in September, 1849, in Bureau County, Ill., to Miss Mary M. Coe. Their children are Oscar, E. J., Mary, Mark, William, Loceba L. and George W. Mr. H. is one of Chautauqua's best citizens and is highly respected by all.
ANDREW JOHNSON, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Cedar Vale, was born in Norway, 1816. In 1848, emigrated to America and settled in Racine, Wis., where he remained until 1858, thence to Beloit, remaining there until 1869; migrating from there to Kansas, he became one of the first settlers in Howard County (now Chautauqua). The county was unorganized and the survey was not yet made; it was 175 miles to a railroad and eighty miles to the nearest point where supplies and mail could be had. He took a claim in Section 29, Town 34, Range 9, but was obliged to lose eighty acres of it on account of some trouble when the survey was made. He has since secured 160 acres in Section 28, and has been engaged in the stock business. His place is watered by a creek which runs through the place; he has his land all fenced, a small orchard, large frame house 14x24 with an L 16x26; has about seventy head of cattle on the place, and has been very prosperous and is one of the solid men of his township. He was married in 1840 to Miss Catherine Olson. They have seven children. John, William, Theodore, Ada, Tilda, Hattie and Minnie.
ISAAC STUDY, stock-raiser, P. O. Cedar Vale, was born in Wayne County, Ind., 1848, living there until 1870, when he migrated to Kansas, reaching Howard County in August, and made a claim on Sections 20 and 21, Town 34, Range 9. He was about 100 miles from a railroad, and had to go fifty -five miles for all supplies. The land had not been surveyed and the Indians still owned the land. In 1873, began to handle stock on a small scale; has a place well adapted to stock-raising, consisting of 400 acres, all enclosed with fence, 100 acres in cultivation; has a fine feed lot of thirty acres in which there are ten acres of timber, furnishing fine shelter for his stock; also has a small feed yard of three acres , which is arranged nicely for watering stock by pipes running into a tank from a spring close by; has 200 head of cattle on his place, and buys and ships considerable outside of what he raises; he also has some thoroughbred short-horn Durham, and is making a point of raising fine stock. Mr. Study is one of the active, enterprising men who have built up this county. He was married in 1869 to Miss Millie Roberts, of Wayne County, Ind., and they have three children, viz.: Blenni L., Nellie L. and Edgar. Is a member of Cedar Vale Lodge, No. 151, I. O. O. F.
T. C. TWEEDY, farmer, P. O. Harts Mill, was born in Shelby County, Ind., 1828, but was raised near Terre Haute. In 1852, learned engineering and followed this business until 1862, when he engaged in the mercantile business, continuing in this until 1874; he sold out and migrated to Kansas, locating in Benton County. At the end of two and one-half years located a claim in Chautauqua County on Section 35, Town 23, Range 11, on the Big Caney River, and at once commenced to improve. The place consists of 160 acres with 100 acres fenced, forty-five acres in cultivation , a good orchard, good buildings and has been engaged in stock-raising the most of the time since he settled there. He was among the early settlers of that part of the county and was fifty-five miles from a railroad when he secured his claim, and for the first two years it cost all the produce was worth to get it to market. Served as Justice of the Peace of Harrison Township, during 1878-79 and 1880. In 1850, was married to Miss Elizabeth Propst, of Indiana. They have four children, viz.: F. M., B. A., S. J. and S. C. Mr. T. is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
J. W. WALLACE, farmer, P. O. Cedar Vale, was born in Clay County, Mo., in 1849; when three years of age, his parents settled in Iowa, where they remained until he was seven, thence to Platte County, Mo., and were there two years, going from there to Audrain County, Mo., and remained till 1864, thence to Illinois where he remained until the fall of 1869, when he emigrated to Kansas, locating in Butler County; after remaining there until 1872, he settled in Howard County, and engaged in working on a farm. In 1877, he engaged in farming for himself, and also bought a few cattle and commenced stock-raising. In 1882, he bought a farm on Section 35, Town 33, Range 8, consisting of 160 acres on the Caney River, seventy acres of which are under cultivation, and the entire place is enclosed with fence. He has a good orchard, plenty of timber and water, and has a fine stock farm. He handles about fifty head of cattle per annum, and although he had no money to start with has succeeded much better than many who had plenty of money when they came. Mr. Wallace is a good manager and thoroughly reliable, and has many warm friends. In 1878, he was married to Miss Mary J. Waters, of Harrison Township. They have three children -- Mark, Emma and Sadie.