|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. (KEENY - WEBB)
D. B. KEENY, sewing machines and musical instruments, was born in York County, Penn., in 1837, but was raised in Cumberland County. In 1862, he enlisted in the One Hundred and Thirteenth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. After serving six months, he received a severe wound in his hand at the battle of Antietam, for which he was discharged. In 1869, he emigrated to Kansas and for a short time was with friends in Douglas and Labette counties. In 1870, he located at Peru, Howard County, there being but three buildings in the place. He opened furniture and undertaking rooms and followed this business until the fall of 1880. The first nine coffins he made while there, seven were from men who came from their death from gunshot or knife wounds, thus showing what the state of society was at that time. While in Peru, he engaged in the nursery and fruit business to some extent and raised the first pears in this part of the county, some of them measuring sixteen and five-eighths in circumference and weighing twenty-three ounces. In 1880, he located in Sedan and engaged in handling musical instruments and sewing machines, and has worked up a good trade in the short time he has been here. He has eleven children -- Sallie, John, Harry, David, Daniel, Dora, Edward, Alice, Lillie, Garfield and Arthur. He was a charter member of Stone River Post, No. 74, G. A. R., and is also an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and sunday school.
T. N. KING, Under Sheriff, was born in Hart County, KY., 1844. In 1861, he enlisted in Company B, Second Kentucky Cavalry, serving three years; was in the Army of the Cumberland; was captured in August, 1863, but succeeding in making his escape soon after. After coming out of the army, he engaged in blacksmithing in Hart County, remaining there until 1870, when his health give out and he started West, and located at Peru, Howard Co., Kan., and located a claim near that place. In 1874, he was elected Clerk of the District Court, and while in this position the county was divided and he located at Sedan, the county seat of Chautauqua County, and in 1876 was elected District Clerk of that county, and re-elected in 1878. In 1882, he was elected Under Sheriff and has held the position continuously since, and has given entire satisfaction to his constituents since he has been in office. Was married May 10, 1876, to Miss Ruth A. Gay, of this county. Mr. King is an active member of Stone River Post, No. 74, which he organized and was the First Commander: also a member of Vesper Lodge, No. 136, A., F. & A. M.; Peru Lodge No. 106, I.O.O.F.
A. KILMER, Register of Deeds, was born in Saratoga County, N.Y., 1833. When twelve years of age, he went into Buchanan, Killman and Co., paper mills, to learn the trade; at the age of seventeen, became foreman of the mill, holding that position for four years. In 1858, he started West and located for a short time in St. Joseph County, Mich., and for one year was employed as a salesman in Sturgis, going from there to Three Rivers, and resumed his old trade in the paper mills at that place. At the end of two years, he returned to Sturgis and was elected Marshal of that place. In May, 1861, he enlisted in the Fourth Michigan Infantry, three years and two months, and was in nearly every battle, the first Bulls Run until the siege of Petersburg. After coming out of the army he settled in Burr Oak, Mich., and was elected Marshal and appointed Deputy Sheriff, remaining there until 1870. Emigrating from there to Kansas, locating in Howard County, and located a claim in Little Cana Township, now Chautauqua County. When he settled here Thayer was the nearest railroad point, some eighty miles distant. After locating his place he began to improve it by building fencing and planting fruit trees, and has one of the best improved farms in the township, having taken lots of pain to put out ornamental trees and shrubbery, in a large variety of fruit; he has about one-half the place in cultivation and has erected some good buildings. For a number of years he was engaged in breeding fine stock. In 1881, he was elected Register of Deeds on the Republican ticket by six hundred majority; he also does some business in real estate, and has a fine set of abstract books, and the records and books are said to be in the best order since the county was organized. He is ably assisted in his labors by his wife, a woman of rare literary attainments, a good writer and quite a poetess; has served on the County Board of Examiners for about four years, and at one time received the nomination for County Superintendent. They were married in 1857 at White Pigeon, Mich., Mrs K's maiden name being Margaret McLaughlin. They have two children -- Gussie and Julia C. Mr. Kilmer was a member of Stone River Post, No. 74, G. A. R., Sedan Lodge, No. 141, I.O.O.F. Mr. and Mrs K. are members of Rebecca Lodge, Mrs K. serving as Noble Grand of the same.
J. V. LEABO, M. D., was born in Greene County, Ind., 1836, but was brought Woodford County, Ill., where he remained until 1850; then back to Clay County, Ind., and 1856 began reading medicine, and in 1863 finished his course, and graduated Rush Medical College, Chicago. In 1864, located in Missouri, and for one year was practicing there; thence to Illinois and remained two year, and in 1869 came West, locating in Miami County, Kan., where he remained about two years; thence to Howard County and located a claim in Washington Township; (now Chautauqua County). Was among the early settlers in his township, and engaged in farming and the practice of medicine for four years; since then has been practicing medicine the most of the time in the county. In the spring of 1883, located at Sedan, where he will enter in practice. Was married in 1863, at Brazil, Ind., to Miss Mary E. Allen. They have five children, viz.: Edith, Minnie, May, John, Edwin.
W. F. LEMMON, County Attorney, was born in Knox County, Ohio, in 1848, but was raised in Northeast Missouri. In 1864, he enlisted in the One Hundred and Forty-third Illinois Infantry, under Col. D. C. Smith, serving six months. In 1871, he commenced reading law in Kirksville, Mo., and in the fall of 1872, emigrated to Kansas, locating in Peru, Howard County, and was employed in the County Clerk's office. At the end of six months the county seat was moved to Elk Falls, and Mr. Lemmon located at that point. In 1875, he was appointed Register of Deeds in Chautauqua County, locating at Sedan, and soon after was elected Register of Deeds and re-elected in 1877, serving three terms. He then resumed the practice of law and opened a real estate and loan office. In the fall of 1882, he was elected County Attorney. Mr. Gibson is associated with him in the real estate business and Mr. Shartell has been in company with him since January, 1883, in the law business. Mr. Lemmon is one of the most popular men in the county and has been identified with the county since its organization. He is a through business man and a pleasant gentleman. In 1877, he was married to Miss Martha E. Crockett, of this county. They have three children -- Roy F., Ermie L., and Rose L. Mr. L. is a member of Stone River Post, No. 74, G. A. R., of Sedan Lodge, No. 141, I.O.O.F., and of the Knights of Honor.
M. B. LIGHT, attorney at law, was born in Tioga County, N. Y., 1827. In 1843, he emigrated to Ogle County, Ill., and soon after began reading law, and was admitted to the bar in 1853, and began the practice of his profession, which he followed until 1862. He then enlisted in the Ninety-Second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, as a private. After serving eight months was commissioned as Second Lieutenant of Company C; was in the service over two years. After coming out of the army he returned to Ogle County and resumed the practice of law. In 1867, he located in Adair County, and was engaged in the practice of law at Kirksfield, remaining there until 1871. Thence to Kansas, locating at Peru, the county seat of Howard County and at once began his law practice. In 1872 was appointed Deputy County Clerk. In 1873, was elected County Clerk of Howard County, serving until the division of the county, when he served a short time as Clerk of Chautauqua County, locating at Sedan in 1875; in 1881-82 served as County Attorney of Chautauqua County, since which time he has been devoted to the practice of law, in which he has succeeded in working up a good practice. Mr. Light is one of the best practitioners in the county, and one of the oldest lawyers. He enjoys an extensive acquaintance and has a host of friends. In 1856, was united in marriage to Miss Sarah Light of Tioga County, N. Y. They have four children -- Mary B., Miles B., Jr., Ellen F., and John H. Mr. Light is a member of Stone River Post, No. 74, G. A. R.
HON. J. C. LONG is a native of Lost Creek Township, Miami County, Ohio, where he resided until he came to Oswego, Kan., June 12, 1869; remained there only three months, and then he took a claim near Independence, Kan., but was soon driven from there by the Osage Indians, who burned his cabin; but he remained in that vicinity, and in 1870 he assisted in surveying the town site of Independence, having the previous fall been connected with the surveying party which run the first line between Labette and Montgomery Counties. After Independence was established, he continued to speculate in real estate until 1872, when he engaged in mercantile business, which he carried on until 1874. In 1876, he removed to Sedan, Chautauqua County, where he now resides, and gives his entire attention to the stock business, operating principally in Texas cattle. He is interested also in mercantile business at Sedan. In 1880, he was elected State Senator from his district.
J. D. McBRIAN, attorney, was born near Mt. Vernon, Jefferson Co., Ill., September , 1840, remaining there until twenty years of age, thence to Salem, where he remained about five years. In 1865, he located in Hamilton County. In 1867, he began reading law. At the expiration of ten years, he returned to Salem, where he remained until the fall of 1872. Emigrating from there to Kansas, he located near Peru, the county seat of Howard County. The following spring , he located at Cedar Vale, where he opened a blacksmith shop and also took a claim in that locality; he also did some law practice during his first year in Kansas, and in the fall of 1874, took an active part in the election of Mr. E. Jaquins, as Representative, who favored the division of the county. When the county was divided in 1875, Mr. McBrian was appointed County Attorney, and the first Monday in June, of that year, met with the County Commissioners and organized the new county of Chautauqua. In the fall of 1875, he was elected County Attorney, and re-elected again in 1878. In 1882, he was nominated on the Greenback ticket for Attorney General, and has always taken an active part in the politics State and County. Conducted the first State case in the county, the State of Kansas vs. John Bybee, a noted desperado. In 1860, he was married to Mary E. Huff, of Salem, Ill. They have five children -- Bertha E., Lulu, Charles A., John E., and Leo A. He is a member of Vesper Lodge, No. 136, A. F. & A. M., Girock Chapter 42; Sedan Lodge, No. 141, I.O.O.F. and is an active member of the Christian Church, and for a number of years has conducted serves in that church.
J. L. MATTINGLEY, liveryman, was born in Union County, Ky., 1839, but was reared in Knox and Fulton counties, Ill., until twenty years of age. In 1859, went across the plains and was engaged in mining in Colorado and Montana until 1866, when he returned to Illinois and after remaining there, emigrated to Kansas, locating in Neosho County, where he remained until 1871; he then located at Boston, Howard County, and open the first store in the place, also located a claim near there, and at once took an active part in trying to make Boston the county seat of Howard County; during the county seat wars, was a leader of the Boston party, and at the first election Boston was decided the county seat, but the commissioners and officers not being favorable to Boston, the books and records were held at Elk Falls, and the next election there was so much ballot-stuffing throughout the county, that Boston was left out, and Mr. Mattingley and his company made a raid on the county officers and succeeded in capturing the records, which they kept in a wagon traveling around the county for sometime, but at last gave up the books and began the work for the division of the county. In the fall of 1874, was elected County Commissioner, serving until the division of the county, when he was appointed Deputy County Treasurer. In the fall of 1875, was elected Sheriff of the county, the first sheriff-elect of Chautauqua County. Since his term expired, has been engaged in the livery business; has a good barn fifty feet square, and being a genial gentleman, and having an extensive acquaintance in the county has enabled him to work up a fine run of custom. In 1879, was married in Sedan, Kan., to Miss Maria Chapman, of that place. They have one daughter -- Mary E. R.
A. L. ROSS, photographer, engraver and map-maker, was born in Zanesville, Ohio, in 1845, where he was raised until thirteen years of age, going from there to New York and shipping on merchant vessel bound for Melbourne, Australia, thence to China and the East Indies, and was about three years in returning here. In 1865, he entered the Government employ, and for about three years was in the United States coast survey in the East and South. In 1868, emigrated to Kansas, locating on Wea Creek, Johnson County, where he erected a saw mill, the first i the county. After remaining there a few months, he sold out and removed to Ohio, where he purchased another mill, which he located at Fort Lincoln, on the Osage River. In November, 1869, moved the mill to Montgomery County on the present town site of Independence, and ground the first four and sawed the first lumber in the county. In November, 1872, he moved his mill to Howard County, on the Caney River, and started the town of Ross City; also put up a factory for the manufacture of spokes and felloes. In 1874, he moved his mill in the Indian Territory, remaining there until 1875, when he returned to Howard County, engaged in farming. In 1878 and 1879, served as surveyor of Chautauqua County,. In 1880, he went to Cleveland, Ohio, and was employed by the Brush Electric Light Company, remaining there one year; at the expiration of that time returned to Kansas, locating at Sedan, where he form a copartnership with Mr. Ifland and opened a photograph gallery and book and stationary store and added to this engineering, lithographing and map making. All of their lithograph works is done on stone found near Sedan. They are entitled to a great deal of praise as they will known as the first lithographers in the State. Mr. Ross is a fine artist and has a great many labor saving machines which he has invented. He is a thorough engineer and surveyor, and is a wide-awake, public spirited man, and in his undertakings has been successful. He was married in 1872, to Miss Louisa Brost, of Independence, Kan. They have two children living -- Levert L. and Harry. He is a member of Sedan Lodge, 1,987, K. of H.
W. F. SHEEK, physician and surgeon, was born in North Carolina in 1842, remaining there until nine years of age, when he emigrated with his parents to Poweshiek County, Iowa. At the end of three years, his parents removed to Linn County, Kan., and remained there until 1860, thence to Henry County, Mo. The subject of this sketch spent the most of his early life on a farm, and in the fall of 1862, enlisted in the Sixtieth Missouri Enrolled Militia, and went out as chief bugler of the Regiment under Col. Marvin. In the fall of 1863, the regiment was partly disbanded and his company was consolidated with companies from other regiments, and formed the Fifth Provincial Regiment under Col. Henry Neil, and has been chief bugler of this regiment, serving until the fall of 1865; his company was known among the bushwhackers as Weavers Wild Cats. At the close of the war, he commenced reading medicine with Dr. Stewart, at Clinton, Henry Co., Mo., remaining one year. He then went to St. Louis and took a course at the St. Louis Medical College, and graduated in the spring of 1868: he then located in Bates County, remaining there one year, and the following year returned to Linn County, Kan., and was engaged in the practice of medicine until the spring of 1876. He then located at Sedan, Chautauqua Co., and engaged in the practice of his profession, and succeeded in building up a large practice, as he is a thorough physician and a man highly respected. During his residence in Sedan, his health became impaired and he went to Colorado and for a time was engaged in practicing medicine in Leadville. In 1871, he was married to Miss Mary P. Cheek, of Linn County. The doctor is a member of Stone River Post, No. 74, G. A. R., Sedan Lodge, No. 141, I.O.O.F., as is a member of the Medical Association of Linn County.
LIEUT. BENTON SMITH, contractor and builder, was born in Somrset County, Me., in 1840. In 1849, his parents emigrated to Illinois, remaining there until 1855: thence to Kansas, locating near Lawrence. His father improved a place near the city, and the subject of this sketch lived there all through the early troubles and border ruffian wars, taking an active part in most of the troubles of Lawrence and Lecompton: joining the Fifty-six Militia under Capt. Sam Walker. During this time, Sheriff Jones, with his followers, had burned the home and property of Mr. Smith's father three different times, with a view of driving him away and securing his place, which was desirable land, and the subject of this sketch, was with his father, doing all they could to release Kansas Cavalry from the ruffians and make a free State of it. In 1861, he enlisted in the Ninth Kansas Cavalry, serving nearly three years as Second Lieutenant of Company A. The most of the time, was on the border fighting the bushwhackers. After coming out of the army, he was engaged in farming near Lawrence and in 1866 located at Topeka and remained there until 1869, when he engaged in manufacturing brick; thence to the Osage lands in Montgomery County, and took a claim which he partially improved, remaining there two years, when he sold out and located at Independence and engaged in manufacturing brick, and contracting and building. In 1874, he located at Sedan, Chautauqua County, and manufactured the first brick and build the first brick house in the county. In 1877, he engaged in contracting and building in connection with brick-making, which business he has been engaged in since. From 1877 until 1881, he served as Justice of the Peace, and as Police Judge during 1881. Mr. Smith is a pleasant, genial gentleman, and one of the progressive men of the town. He was married, in 1860, to Miss Sarah Jane Edgerton, of Lawrence. They have ten children -- Thomas E., Lucy B., Georgiana, Charles H., Mary T., Grace, Clara, Julia, Samuel and Benton Jr. Mr. Smith is a member of Stone River Post, No. 74, G. A. R., and Sedan Lodge No., 1987, K. of H. Mr. Smith served one year in the Tribune office with John Speer and Sam. Wood, at Lawrence, a part of 1855 and 1856.
DANIEL STOUGH, of the firm of F. C. Rasler & Co., hardware, lumber, and contractors, was born in Westmoreland County, Penn., in 1842. In 1844, his parents emigrated to Illinois, locating in Rock Island County. In 1861, he enlisted in the Twelfth Illinois Infantry, serving one year. He then enlisted in One Hundred and Twenty-sixth Illinois Infantry, and served until August, 1865; was in the Western Department all through the war, taking part in the battles of Belmont, Fort Henry, Donelson, Shiloh, Corinth and Vicksburg. Returning to his home, he engaged in farming and dealing in stock. In 1870, he emigrated to Kansas, locating in Howard County. He took a claim on the Elk River near Elk Falls; was among the first settlers there, and began improving his claim. In 1874, he was employed in the general store of Getchell & Son, remaining with them one year. He then accepted a position in the bank of L. L. Turner, and the following year Mr. Turner located his bank at Sedan, and Mr. Stough came to this place with him, and was in his employ until 1878, when he went into the hardware and implement business with Comer & Jones. In June, 1882, he formed a co-partnership with F. C. Roesler and J. C. Swink, and put in a large stock of hardware material, lumber, and engaged in contracting and building, the firm doing the largest business of any one firm in the city. Mr. Stough was married in 1876, to Miss Mary Dye, of Sedan. They have two children, John and Maud. He is a member Stone River Post, No. 74, G. A. R., Vesper Lodge, No. 136, A., F. & A. M., Syrock Chapter, No. 42, and A. O. U. W., No. 131. Mr. Stough is an active businessman and is one who helps to build up a town.
RICHARD S. TURNER, editor of the Chautauqua Journal, was born in Carrollton, Carroll Co., Ky., February 23, 1847. When eight years of age his parents settled in Plattsburg, Mo., where he was raised. When eighteen years of age, he commenced learning the printer's trade, and worked at that business in Plattsburg until 1871, when he came to Kansas, stopped at Howard and made arrangements for starting a paper. He then went to Missouri, and purchased an outfit, and returned to Howard, and in January, 1872, had his office in running order, and on February 9, 1872, published the first issue. The paper was called the Howard City Messenger, and was conducted in the interests of a division of the county, and to make Howard the county seat of the north half of the county. This was the first paper published in Howard City. Mr. Kelly became a partner and the paper was published until 1874, when they sold out and purchased the Elk Falls Journal, which they conducted until the division of the county in 1875, when they moved the office to Sedan, and established the Chautauqua Journal. In 1877, he sold out to his brother, R. H. Turner, the present proprietor; since then, he has remained as editor of the paper. Mr. Turner is a pleasant, courteous gentleman, and a good writer, and his paper is a staunch leader of the Republican party. Mr. Turner was elected Councilman on the organization of the city; served as Mayor in 1878 - 79; Councilman again in 1882, and in 1883 was appointed City Treasurer. December 25, 1879, he was united in marriage to Miss Carrie Webb, of Sedan. They have one daughter -- Olive R. He is a member of Vesper Lodge, No. 136, A., F. & A. M., and of Syrock Chapter, No. 42, and has served as Senior Deacon in the Blue Lodge and two terms as Excellent Scribe, one term as Excellent King, and one as Most Excellent High Priest, also two terms as Noble Grand of Sedan Lodge, No. 141, I.O.O.F. He was a charter member of the two last mentioned organizations.
ROBERT H. TURNER, proprietor of the Chautauqua Journal, was born in Carrollton, Carroll Co., Ky., in 1854. When six months of age, his parents settled in Clinton County, Mo., where he was raised. When fifteen years of age, he commenced learning the printer's trade. In 1872, he emigrated to Kansas and went to work for his brother at Howard. In 1874, the paper was sold and taken to the neighboring town of Boston, Mr. Turner going there with A. B. Hicks, the proprietor of the paper, and was at work on the paper for one year, and then went to Elk Falls and was employed by Turner & Kelly, on the Elk Falls Journal, remaining there until 1875, when the paper was moved to Sedan; Mr. Turner located at this point with them and was in their employ until 1877, when he bought a half interest in the business. In 1879, he bought out his partner and has been sole proprietor since; his brother, R. S. Turner, remaining on the paper as editor. The paper is run in the interests of the Republican party, and is live and progressive, meeting with the best support. The office is the best equipped in the county and has one of the Campbell power cylinder presses, besides a fine job department which is a credit to the office. Mr. Turner is a wide-awake newspaper man and is a champion of law and order. In August, 1881, he was united in marriage to Miss Lucy Brown, of Sedan. They have one child -- Myrtle. Mr. Turner is a member of Vesper Lodge, No. 136, A., F. & A. M., Syroc Chapter, No. 42, and of Sedan Lodge, No. 1987, K. of H.
M. C. WEBB, merchant, was born in Akron, Ohio, 1844. When eleven years of age he migrated to Michigan, locating at Paw Paw. In 1861, he enlisted in the Eleventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving three years; two years of the time was Orderly under Gen. L. B. Ranson. After coming out of the army, went on a Western tour to Colorado and Salt Lake City, remaining there about one year. In August, 1868, he located in Marshall County, Kan., where he engaged in the stock business, remaining there until 1875, when sold out and came to Sedan, Chautauqua County, and put in the second stock of goods in the place. In a building fourteen by thirty feet; at the end of the three years, enlarged the store, building a store room twenty by forty feet, and at the end of two years, enlarged this building one-half. Mr. Webb is now the oldest merchant in the place; he has worked up a good trade and handles a fine stock of goods, his sales running from $25,000 to $30,000 per annum. Mr. Webb was one of the first to put in a stock of goods in Moline, when the railroad was built there, and interested there for sometime, but his business in the home store compelled him to close out his other interests. Mr. Webb is one of the best business men in the county and has been very successful since he opened in business here. He was married in Sedan in 1878, to Miss E. E. Bussey, of Sedan. They have one daughter - Gracy. He also has three children by a former marriage -- Ida, Minnie and Laura M. He is a member of Stone River Post, No. 74, G. A. R.