|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
SEDAN, PART 2.
SCHOOLS AND CHURCHES.
The matter of education and the establishment of a school had received attention long before the idea of founding a town came into existence. As early as 1872, a district school was provided and a school building erected, which stood upon what was afterward selected as the town site. This same building served the town for school purposes as late as 1877, when the increase of the school population enlarged accomodations. With this a two-story addition was appended to the old house, affording in all the advantages of three apartments. This has now become insufficient for the necessities of the schools, and calls are made for still further enlargement, in consequence of which efforts are being made to secure the erection of a building sufficiently commodius to satisfy all the demands for this purpose. The schools, having an enrollment of 354 pupils, were graded during the fall of 1880 by Prof. J. B. Sands, and comprised two primary, two intermediate the grammer school departments. The instruction afforded is generally regarded as most excellent and efficient under Prof. J. B. Sands as Principal, Miss Ada Wellington teacher of the first primary, and Miss Anna Taylor, teacher of the second primary, Miss Belle Taylor, teacher of the first intermediate, and T. W. Tout, teacher of the second intermediate departments. The good people living in the vicinity of where the city of Sedan now stands received occasional visitations from itenerant missionaries, who declared to them, not always in very eloquent sentences, the doctrines of religion and the prospects of salvation. With what effect this was done can not, of course, be determined, but from the attending circumstances it would be exceedly unwise to imagine that any miraculous change was performed. At this time and place churches were not numberous nor disciples superabundant.
The Methodists were earliest in the enterprise of establishing a church in the town. This was effected in the fall of 1876 by "O Father Record" a local preacher. The denomination started off weak and halting, having only six members, but the few were faithful and kept together, securing a sessions as fast as the possibilities would admit. The first services were held in the school building in which they remained until their church edifice was erected.
The church was incorporated April 22, 1878, at which time immediate steps were put forth looking to the erection of a church. The effort proved successful, and during the summer of 1878 the building was completed ready for occupancy, costing $1,600, and during the fall was dedicated to spiritual uses by Rev. D. P. Mitchell. The congregation, now numbering fifty members, is in a flourishing condition under the pastorate of Rev. J. N. Bealls.
The United Brethren Church became established in Sedan in the summer of 1878 by the Rev. J. B. McCue. The services were conducted in the schoolhouse until the erection of the church, which took place in 1880, the house costing $2,000; is a neat one-story brick building forty-five feet in length by twenty-eight in width, and finished with a towering spire. The church is in charge of Rev. John Blake, and has a membership of twenty-four.
The Presbyterian Church was organized with ten members in the early spring of 1880, under the direction of Rev. A. H. Lackey, of Peabody. Several of the ladies of the town, however, were the prime movers in the work, chief among whom were Mrs. E. A. Merrill and Mrs. M. E. Mathews. The place of organization was in the court room, in which services have since been held, and which are now conducted by Rev. Reubin Hahn, the congregation numbering seventeen members.
The Baptist Churchwas organized in April, 1882. This also was chiefly the work of several ladies zealous in the cause, the chief of whom were Mrs. Albright and Mrs. L. Kilmer. The congregation numbering twenty members hold services regularly in the court room on the second Sabbath of each month, conducted by Rev. F. L. Walker.
THE PRESS AND SOCIETIES.
The first news journal established in the town was the Wide Awake, which began its issue in June, 1874, by Joseph Mount, a mute. The paper, however, was short lived, having run only over a year, when it expired in September, 1875.
The Chautauqua Journal was brought here from Elk Falls, where it had been established in 1873 by Ward and Pyle, who sold out in December of that year, to Kelly and Turner. After nearly three years, the removal to Sedan was made, where the firm continued the publication of the paper until January, 1879, at which time it was sold being purchased by R. H. Turner, the present editor and proprietor. It is a seven-column folio in size, all home print, Republican in politics and has a circulation of 900 copies.
The Sedan Times first began its existance until the title Chautauqua Times, in May, 1878, and was owned by P. H. Albright. Of the 1st of July, 1880, it was sold to A. D. Dunn, who changed the name of the paper to its present title, March 1, 1881. At first it was a six-column folio, but on May 1, 1881, was changed to a seven-column folio, and in May, 1882, was enlarged to a six-column quato, its present size. The paper at first was Democratic in politics, but at a subsequent date was changed in sentiment, becoming an advocate of Republicanism, and has a circulation of 675 copies.
Vesper Lodge, N. O. 136, A., F. & A. M., was instituted under a dispensation from the Grand Lodge, on July 23, 1872, by J. M. Nevins, of Independence who was named as special Deputy Grand Master for this purpose. On October 16, 1873, the lodge was duly chartered and started upon its mission with seven members. The first officers of the lodge were:
The present officers are C. M. Turner, Worshipful Master; A. H. King, Senior Deacon; J. W. Johnston, Junior Deacon; J. E. Lewis, Treasurer; D. J. Moore, Secretary; J. D. McBrian, Senior Deacon; C. Roe, Junior Deacon; R. R. Turner, Tiler.
The Syroc Chapter, N. O. 42, R. A. M. became established in the summer of 1880 and was chartered February 15, 1881. The institution took place under W. H. Waters, of Independence, Special Deputy Grand Master.
The lodge began weak, but has continued to increase its membership slowly, and at present numbers thirteen members under the offical control of B. E. Bius, High Priest; R. S. Turner, King; J. E. Lewis, Scribe.
Sedan Lodge, N. O. 141, I.O.O.F., was instituted April 18, 1877, with five charter members, viz.: W. W. Jones, J. W. Sitton, Ezra Hayden, L. C. Wait and R. S. Turner. The membership of the lodge has steadily increased, and now numbers about forty-three. At present the lodge is officered as follows: J. S. Wade, Noble Grand; John R. Butler, Vice Grand; Ol. G. Hayes, Recording Secretary; W. F. Lemmon, Permanent Secretary; B. E. Bius, Treasurer; A. C. Mathews, Warden; M. T. Evans, Conductor.
The Rebecca Lodge was instituted August 25, 1882, by Grand Master, A. H. Dow, at which time degrees were conferred upon four brothers and seven sisters. The total membership of the lodge being twenty-eight.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. (ARNOLD - HOGAN)
G.W. ARNOLD, Clerk of District Court, was born in Bloomfield, Davis Co.,Iowa, September 6, 1855. He was raised in town, and when 12 years of age, his parents located on a farm in Scotland Co., Mo. Here the subject of this sketch remained until 1875, and engaged in farming and teaching. In 1881, he was principal of the schools Peru, and the following spring was employed as a salesman of one of the dry goods store until the fall of 1882, when he was elected clerk of the District Court, on the peoples ticket, and soon after located in Sedan. Mr. Arnold is a young man of ability and determination, and has discharged the duties of his office with credit to himself and the satisfaction with those having business with him, and in the short time he has been at Sedan, has made a host of friends. In 1875, he was married to Miss Lena E. Baker, of Scotland Co., Mo. They have two children -- Harry C. and Leo P. Mr. A. is a member of Peru Lodge, No., 126, I.O.O.F., and a member of the Sedan Cornet Band.
CAPT. BENJAMIN BINNS, merchant, was born in Yorkshire, England, in 1829. Emigrated to America in 1844, locating in Madison Co., N.Y. In 1846, he removed to Michigan, locating at Niles, and engaged in cabinet making. The following year located at Buchanan and continued in the same business for a number of years. October 14, 1861, Twelfth Michigan Infantry and received a commission as Second Lieutenant of Co. In 1862, October 10, was promoted, receiving a Captain 's commission, serving in all three years and six months. He was wounded during the battle of Pittsburg Landing. After returning from the army, he engaged in the mercantile business in Buchanan, Mich., and in 1877 sold out and emigrated to Kansas, locating at Sedan, Chautauqua Co. Soon after he came here, he located a claim on Section 27, Township 33, Range 11, of 160 acres, one mile from the city of Sedan, and for one year was engaged in improving his place. Erecting a large house, he broke thirty acres and planted an orchard, and made many other improvements. The place is well situated and is watered by a fine spring. The 1st year he began the stock business with one cow and a calf, and at present has seventy-five head of cattle, and six horses. Also owns a farm of 160 acres, on Section 36, same township. In 1878, he engaged in the mercantile business and has doubled his business the last two years. Mr. Binns is one of the best business men in the city, and has made some extensive improvements in the county since he came here. Binns' Brothers has put up the largest building in Sedan, a stone store 24x80, two stories. He is also in company with Mr. Bennett, of Chautauqua Springs, engaged in the mercantile business. They also own forty acres on the town site, which they have laid out into lots, and are doing considerable business in city lots at that place. In 1851, he was married to Miss Julia E. Day, of Buchanan, Mich. They have two children -- Nancy C. and Andrew F. Mr. B. is a member of Stone River Post, No. 74, G. A. R.; Buchanan Lodge, No. 68, A., F. & A.M.; and I.O.O.F., No. 141, Sedan and Verdigris Encampment, 22, I.O.O.F.
JAMES T. BRADLEY, County Superintendent of Schools, was born in London, Ontario, in 1856. When fourteen years of age he emigrated with his parents to Missouri, located in Bates County. At the end of one year, they removed to St. Clair County, locating in Appleton City. The subject of this sketch took a course in the high school in that place, in 1875, emigrated to Kansas, locating at Sedan, where he was employed as a teacher in Sedan schools for two terms, after which he taught two terms in the county, and was then employed as a salesman in Mr. Webb's store for nearly a year. In the spring of 1878, he attended the Normal School, and in the fall was elected County Superintendent. At the expiration of his term, he returned to the State Normal and graduated in the class of 1881. He was then employed as principal of the Neosho Falls schools for two years, and in the fall of 1882 was again elected Superintendent of public instruction in Chautauqua County. Mr. Bradley is a young man of rare literary attainments, and has given entire satisfaction in the position he has filled. He is a through educator and a great student and may virtually be styled a self-made man. During six months in 1880, in company with Prof. Conway, he published The Home Enterprise, a monthly paper devoted to education and matters pertaining to teaching, the first and only paper of the kind ever published in the county. Mr. Bradley is a pleasant, courteous gentleman, and takes a lively interest tending toward elevating the people. In 1879, he was united in marriage to Miss Dora Gray, of Sedan. They have one daughter -- Lena. He is a member of Vesper Lodge, No. 136, A., F. & A. M.
W. H. BRYAN, merchant was born in Tippecanoe County, Ind., 1845, where he was raised until the rebellion. In 1862, enlisted in the Fourth Indiana Volunteer Cavalry, serving until 1865. After coming out of the army returned to Tippecanoe County and engaged in the merchantile business, continuing in this until 1871, when he sold out and emigrated to Kansas, locating in Howard County, and took a claim on Section 24, Township 33, Range 9, eighty miles from a railroad. He remained on this farm three years and sold out and returned to East, but not feeling contented there, again returned to Kansas and engaged in stock-raising until July 1882. He sold out and bought an interest in Jones & Dennis. In February 1883, bought out his partners and is now carrying on the business in connection with farm machinery and agricultural implements, in which he is working up a large trade, his sales increasing all the time, he carries a large stock and is making many friends by his liberal dealing. In 1868, was married at LaFayette, Ind., to Miss Geneva Lane. They have three children, viz., George W., Lizzie B., and Susan D. Is a member of Stone River Post, No. 74, G. A. R. Sedan Lodge, No. 141, I.O.O.F.
FRANK BUCK, foreman of the Chautauqua Journal office, was born in Lawrence, Kan., in 1865. He is the oldest Judge A. Buck, one of the pioneers of Lawrence, who was an active worker in trying to make a free State of Kansas. During Quantrill's raid into Lawrence, his property was burned and he afterward located in Fort Scott. The subject of this sketch attended school at this point, and in 1872, his parents located in Osage Mission, where he attended the schools of that place four years. In 1878, his parents located in Sedan, where he again attended school. In 1879, began learning the printers trade in the Sedan Times office, remaining one year; he then attended school for a few months, and the following spring commenced working at his trade in the Times office, remaining there six or eight months, and again attended school for a short time. In 1881, he went to work in the Journal office where he at once began the study of job printing, and at present is foreman in both job and news departments. Mr. Buck has devoted his time strictly to business, and by close attention to business, has succeeded in amassing a large property, although he has had a large family to support for sometime on account of reverses his father met with. Mr. Buck is a young man but has a host of friends, and a printer, probably has no superior of his age in the State. He is a pleasant, genial gentleman, and all who meet him are pleased with his courteous treatment.
H. H. BUCKELS, stock-dealer, P. O. Sedan, was born in Logan County, Ill., in 1840, and was raised there until nineteen years of age, going from there to Sangamon County, and engaged in farming and stock-raising, remaining there until 1874, when emigrated to Kansas, locating in Howard County, and bought a farm of 640 acres on Sections 7 and 12, Township 36, Range 34, which he at once converted into a stock farm, and he has the entire place enclosed with good fences, 150 acres under cultivation, eighty acres of fine timber. The Caney River flows through the farm, furnishing plenty of water, and has several fine salt springs, furnishing salt necessary for the stock. He has a good frame house 16x42, and ell 16x14, two acres of orchard, and on the whole it is one of the most desirable farms in the county, three miles from Sedan, and it is stocked with twelve head of horses, 125 head of hogs, 350 head of cattle. Mr. Buckels is grading his stock with the celebrated short-horns, and is considered one of the most successful stockmen in this part of the county, and is one of the leading men of his township. Mr. B. took an active part of the county, and in getting the county seat located at Sedan. July 18, 1858, he was united in marriage to Miss Emily Sames, of Mt.Pulaski, Ill. Their children are -- Louis W., A. Y., J. W., Julia D., E. D., Mary E., Henry E., Ennis L., and Flora A. He is a member of the Sedan Lodge No. 141, I.O.O.F. and a member of the Christian Church.
JOHN C. CANNON, attorney at law, was born in St. Louis, Mo., 1850, August 3. When but six month of age, his parents located at St. Charles, Mo., where they remained until March, 1854, when they migrated to Kansas, locating in Linn County. His father, HON. D. W. Cannon, was among in the pioneers, where he engaged in farming, and young Cannon was raised on a farm until fifteen years of age, receiving the benefits of a common school and a partial course at the University at Lawrence. In 1869, commenced reading law at Mound City, finishing his course, and was admitted to the bar in 1872, and in September of the same year, began the practice of his profession, and remained there one year. In 1873 became associated with J. D. Snoddy, at LaCygne, in the law business and remained there two years. From 1875 until 1877, was practicing law in Mound City, going from there to Sedan, Chautauqua Co., and at once resumed the practice of law, although there were several older attorneys in the place, by close attention to his business, has been enabled to build up a practice far exceeding anything else in the county, and although he was a young man among strangers, he did not despare, but was determined to win or give up the profession. He is a pleasant, courteous gentleman, and soon won the respect and good-will of the public, and it is doubtful if there is a man in the county at present with as many warm friends as he has. In 1878, was elected Probate Judge on the Republican ticket, although he is a strong Democrat. During 1881, served as Mayor of Sedan and in 1882, was the Democratic nominee for Congress in the Third District. Mr. Cannon is acknowledged as the leading light of the Chautauqua Co., bar, and at the present writing is the senior partner in the firm of Cannon & Piles, attorneys at law. February 21, 1877, was united in marriage to Miss Irene M. Rhodes, of Mound City, but in April, 1881, his wife and companion was claimed by death.
Z. CHILL, farmer, P.O. Sedan, was born in Marion County, Ind., in 1835, remaining there until fourteen years of age, when he moved to Morgan County, and remained there until 1854, going from there to Wapello County, Iowa. At the end of three years he emigrated to Kansas, locating in Doniphan County in 1858. Here he engaged in working on a farm until the following year, when he engaged in freighting across the plains. In the spring of 1860, he took a claim on the Blue River, in Washington County, but was obliged on account of the drought of 1860. He then returned to the Missouri River, and the following spring enlisted in the Fourth Kansas Infantry, under Col. Weer, in Gen. Jim Lane's brigade. The next spring the Third and Fourth Regiments were consolidated and was called the Tenth, and he served over four years in the regiment. The greater portion of the time he was in Missouri. After coming out of the army, Mr. Chill engaged in farming and running a saw mill in Doniphan County, until the spring of 1871, when he sold out and located in Howard County, thirty miles from a railroad and took a claim. His place is on Section 5, Township 34, Range 11; this place he has lived on since and made the following improvements; put 100 acres in cultivation, enclosed the entire place with fence, put up good buildings, planted a fine orchard of all kinds of fruits, and has a desirable place only two and one-half from Sedan. He is engaged in stock-raising, and has done well since he has settled here. In 1866, he was married in Doniphan County, and had four children, two of whom are living -- Arthur and Edgar. He was married again in 1873, to Miss Halloway, of Howard County. They have two children -- Carrie and Mamie. Mr. Chill is a member of Stone River Post, No. 74, G. A. R.
J. I. CROUSE, merchant, was born in Center County, Penn., in 1836. In 1842, his parents located in Seneca County, Ohio, where he remained until twenty years of age. In 1856, he emigrated to Iowa, locating in Iowa City, remaining there two years. Thence to Mercer County, Ill., where he engaged in the grocery business from 1857 to 1870. Migrating to Kansas in the spring of 1870, he located at Independence and engaged in the grocery business, remaining there three years. In 1873, he sold out, and engaged in farming at the end of two years. Located at Sedan and put up a building, 20x50, and put in one of the first stocks of goods in the place. In 1878, his business had increased so he was obliged to rebuild, putting up a building 20x80, with a wareroom 20x24, which he filled with a choice stock of goods, increasing his trade from $20,000 to $60,000 per annum. He has a large trade, and employees about four salesmen. He is one of the best business men in the town. He also owns one-half interest in the steam grist-mills at Longton. Was married in 1861, at New Boston, Ill., to Miss K. E. Cunningham. Mr. Crouse is a member of Vesper Lodge, No. 136, A., F. & A. M.
E. W. DAVIS, County Treasurer, was born in Vigo County, Ind., in 1842. He was raised in Illinois and Indiana, and his father, Josiah Davis, is a Universalist minister, and until the subject of this sketch was sixteen years of age, his parents were moving back and forth in the States of Illinois and Indiana. In 1858, located in Urbana, Champaign Co., Ill. At the end of two years, went to Muncie, Delaware Co., Ind., where he remained until 1862. Emigrating from there to Iowa, he located in Oskaloosa, where he was employed as a book-keeper in the National State Bank. In 1865, went to West and located in Canon City, Colo., and taught first public school in the place. At the end of one year, he emigrated to Illinois and engaged in the merchantile trade at Avon, Fulton County. In the spring of 1870, he emigrated to Kansas, locating at Oswago, Labette County, where he engaged in the merchantile business, remaining one year. The following spring, he formed a copartnership with Mr. E. Slocum, and then came to Howard County and opened a store at Cedar Vale. Mr. Davis entered 160 acres of land, part of the town site of Cedar Vale, and became a stockholder in the town company in 1875. The partnership was dissolved by the death of Mr. Slocum, and Mr. Davis continued the business alone until 1879, when he was elected County Treasurer, and he then disposed of an interest in the business to Mr. Dale, who took charge of it, and Mr. Davis located at Sedan, to attend to his duties as a county officer. In 1881, he was again elected County Treasurer. Mr. Davis is very popular in the county, and is a pleasant, good business man, and one of the leading men of the county. He was married in 1870, at Avon, Ill., to Miss Pussmings, of Warren Co., Ill.
A. D. DUNN, editor and proprietor of the Sedan Times, was born in Scotsville, N.Y., August 24, 1852. At the age of thirteen, he began to learn the trade of printer on the Fort Scott Monitor and subsequently on the Augusta Crescent, printed at Augusta, Butler Co., Kan., and then on the Humboldt Union at Humboldt, Kan. In September, 1877, he started a paper at Humboldt, called the Humboldt Inter-State, and which he sold in March, 1880, and bought the paper in the publication of which he is now engaged.
BEN S. HENDERSON, attorney, was born in Grant County, KY., in 1843, living there until eighteen years of age. He then enlisted in Company A, Twenty-third Kentucky Volunteer Infantry, serving four years and four months, his regiment serving in the Army of the Cumberland, and was veteranized in January, 1864. After coming out of the army, he returned to his native county, where he remained until 1867; thence to Davis County, Ind. where he engaged in teaching and reading law. In 1870, was admitted to the bar, and soon after began the practice of law in Greene County, remaining there nearly one year; thence to Brazil, Clay County, where he resumed his law practice. Remaining until August, 1878. He then emigrated to Kansas, locating at Independence, and was engaged in the practice of his practice for three years at that place. In 1881, was elected a member of the Greenback State Central Committee for a term of two years. In 1882, he located at Sedan, and has succeeded in working up a fine practice. Mr. Henderson is one of the strongest advocates of capital prohibition, and has devoted considerable of his time in furthering the interest of temperance. He is an earnest worker, a good lawyer and genial gentlemen. In 1866, he was united in marriage with Miss Annie E. Berkshire, of Boone County, KY. They have four children, viz.: Ida V., Katie, Harry D. and John P. Mr. Henderson is a member of Stone River Post, No. 74, G. A. R., Sedan Lodge, No. 141, I.O.O.F., and of Chautauqua County Bar Association.
R. HEIMBAUGH, merchant, was born in Ashland, Ashland Co., Ohio, in 1849. In 1852, his parents emigrated to Iowa, locating in Marion County. When eighteen years of age, he commenced learning the tinner's trade at Knoxville, remaining there three years. In 1870, came West, locating at Lincoln, Neb., where he remained about six months; thence back to Iowa, where he remained a few months, and then took a trip South, and for about six months was below Memphis, Tenn. He then emigrated to Kansas, locating at Oswego, Labette County, where he remained two years working at his trade; from there he came to Peru, Chautauqua County, with his employer, Mr. Englefield, and remained with him until 1876, when he came to Sedan and opened a tin shop in a small building, 20x30, with a capital of $75 and his tools. As there was no other shop in the place, he soon worked up a good trade, and the second year put in a small stock of stoves. At the end of this time, he purchased a building, 14x30, and built a shop 20x22, joining, and moved his stock into this room and remained there two years. In the meantime, he had purchased two vacant lots, and in 1881, sold one to Mr. Moore, and they put up a double store of brick and stone, each store room 25x60 feet, two stories high, making one of the finest buildings in the city. He then built an extension of forty feet for a shop, and put in a heavy stock of stoves and tin ware, carrying at the present time the largest and best assorted stock in the county, and his trade is growing all the time. Mr. Heimbaugh is noted as one of the best business men in the place, and, being a genial gentleman is very popular, not only with his customers, but with all who come in contact with him, and may be strictly termed a self-made man. He is a member of Sedan Lodge, No. 141, I.O.O.F.
J. K. HINES, proprietor Occidental Hotel, was born in Warren County, KY., in 1830, where he was raised, living there until 1853; thence to North Carolina. At the end of eighteen months he emigrated to Kansas and located at Leavenworth, and after a short time became a Government teamster on the overland route to New Mexico and the Rocky Mountains the following spring. In 1857, he became assistant wagon-master, and in the fall became wagon- master for Majors and Waddell in charge of Government trains. He was then employed in taking trains through the mountains and Salt Lake City, Fort Carney and other Western points; also served part of the time as road-master, and was considered the most competent man whoever took a train across the plains. In 1861, he took charge of the freighting business of E. Majors, going through to Medicine Bow, Montana, and Fort Huslick. In 1862, he made a trip of 4,700 miles with a train of 312 head of cattle and cleared for his employers $37,000, the largest years work ever done on the plains. In 1864, he engaged in freighting for himself, taking contracts and doing a large business. In 1865, while filling a Government contract, with a train of twenty-four wagons, of six yoke of cattle to each wagon, the Government took possession of his train, and he was forced to take supplies, from which he lost heavily, receiving nothing in return for his services. Mr. Hines was engaged in freighting from 1856 to 1867. He then engage in the cattle trade, driving about 1500 head of cattle from Texas to Kansas, for a number of years, and was in this business until 1873, when he bought a cattle ranch in Howard County, and was farming and stock-raising until 1880, when he sold out and has since been proprietor of the Occidental Hotel at Sedan. Mr. Hines is a pleasant gentleman, and as a landlord is a success, as he had a fund of antidotes, and having had many adventures with indians and desperadoes, can make it very pleasant for his guests. He is ably assisted in his business by his wife, and all who stop with them once are loud in their praises of the treatment received while there. In 1865, he was united in marriage to Miss Helen J. Duwese, of Nebraska City, Neb. They have two children, viz.: Virginia L. and Harry H. Is a member of Vesper Lodge, No. 136, A., F. & A. M.
HON. W. A. HOGAN, contractor and builder, was born in Putnam County, Ind., 1841. When six years of age, his parents immigrated to Wapello County, Iowa, and lived there and in Franklin County until 1860, when he emigrated to Kansas, locating in Miami County; after remaining there a short time, located in Johnson County and engaged in farming with his father. In October, 1861, he enlisted in the Second Missouri Home Guards and served until the following February. Soon after, he enlisted in the Twelfth Kansas Volunteers and served three years, and served the most of the time as Sergeant of his company. After coming out of the army, he returned to Johnson County and remained there until 1872; thence to Sumner County, and for five years was engaged in farming and stock-raising. In 1877, he located a claim in Salt Creek Township, Chautauqua County, and improved a three hundred-acre farm; served as Trustee of his township two terms, and in 1881 was elected to the State Legislature on the Republican ticket; in 1883, sold out and located at Sedan and engaged in contracting and building; also bought a farm on Section 12, Township 32, Range 12, 160 acres, which he is arranging to convert into a stock farm; was married in 1866 in Johnson County to Miss Abigail Pitt. They have three children - Lord, Lane and Crete. He is a member of Stone River Post, No. 74, G. A. R.