|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (KINNE - YOUNG).
EDWARD A. KINNE, Clerk of the District Court, Chase County, was born in Chenango County N. Y., November 14, 1841. He received a common school education in his native county, where he remained until August, 1861, when he enlisted as a private in Company K, Forty-fourth Regiment New York Volunteers. He was assigned to the Fifth Corps (Gen. Porter). Army of the Potomac. He was afterwards promoted the Position of Sergeant. While with this regiment Mr. Kinne participated In the siege of Yorktown, the battle of Hanover Court House, the seven days fight on the Peninsula, the second battle of Bull Run, the battles of Antietam and Fredericksburg. He was Promoted to Second Lieutenant in March, 1863 and transferred to Company C. Ninety-ninth Regiment New York Volunteers who were at that time stationed at Suffolk, Va., and afterwards on garrison duty at different points in the Department of Virginia and North Carolina. Mr. Kinne was subsequently promoted to First Lieutenant and Quartermaster of the regiment, and was mustered out of service in June, 1865, at Raleigh, N. C. He then returned to his native county, where he remained, engaged for most of the time in the drug business, until he came to Kansas in the spring of 1871. He Located in Chase County, and took a claim (under the Homestead Act) of 160 acres, situated on Rock Creek, in Bazaar Township. This farm he improved and cultivated for eight years. He then sold it, and in March, 1879, removed to Cottonwood Falls. He was soon after appointed Justice of the peace to fill a vacancy and in the following spring was elected to the same office. He was again elected in February, 1881, and held the office until May of the same year, when he resigned and engaged in mercantile business at Cottonwood Falls. In the fall of 1882 he was elected Clerk of the District Court of Chase County, which office he now fills. He married Miss Julia E. Ransford, of Chenango County, N. Y., in February, 1865, by which marriage he has had three children, of whom Mae H. and Rena M. are living.
JOHN P. KUHL, harness and saddle manufacturer and dealer was born In Rhenish Province, Germany, April, 20, 1845. He came to the United States with his parents in 1854, locating at Manitowoc, Wis., where the subject of this sketch remained until 1859, when he went to Bloomington, Ill., and there learned the saddlery trade. In April, 1864, he enlisted as a private in Company B, One Hundred and Forty-fifth Regiment Illinois Volunteers. During the whole of his service he was stationed in Missouri. Was in no active service; but was one of the three soldiers who captured a spy from Gen. Price's army, who was hung at Rolla, Mo., September 30, 1864. After a residence of about a year and a half in Illinois he came to Kansas and located at Topeka in April, 1866, where he engaged in the pursuit of his trade until June 15, 1868, when he came to Cottonwood Falls and engaged in the harness and saddlery business, which he continued until 1872. He then sold out and tried farming and stock -raising for two years. Not meeting with success as a farmer and stock-dealer, he again purchased his former business, which he has followed ever since in the same place. He has the only establishment of this kind in the city, and does a large and prosperous business. Mr. Kuhl is a Democrat in politics, and has held the office of Mayor two years. He was under Sheriff of the county from 1869 to 1871, besides holding several minor offices in the city and the county. Mr. Kuhl is a member of Zeredatha Lodge, No. 80, A., F. & A. M., being Master in 1869 and holding the same office for 1883, and is also a member of Falls Lodge. No. 747, K. of H.
JOHN W. McWILLIAMS, real estate, loans and insurance agent. Was born in Cannonsburg, Washington Co., Pa., September 8, 1841. His early life was spent in his native county where he was educated; graduated from Jefferson College at Cannonsburg in 1861, in the United States Signal Corps of the regular arms. He was mustered out of service as Sergeant in September, 1865. He soon afterward entered the law office of Col. Enoch Totten, at Washington, District of Columbia, and in June, 1867, graduated from Columbia Law School, at Washington, District of Columbia. He has never engaged in regular practice in his profession, but in the fall of 1867 engaged in literary pursuits, as one of the editors and publishers of Washington, Pa., Reporter. He followed the business until the summer of 1869, when he came to Kansas. He located at Cottonwood Falls, and engaged in his present business. In 1874 he was appointed by the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad Company, agent for the sale of their land in Chase and adjoining counties. He also does a general real estate and loan business, and represents seven insurance companies, including fire and tornado insurance. He has sold over 100,000 acres of land in Kansas. Mr. McWilliams is a member of Zeredatha Lodge, No. 80, A., F. & A. M. ; member of J. W. Geary Post, No. 15, G. A. R. He held the office of Justice of the Peace five years during his early residence here. He was Mayor of the city three years and was elected to the Legislature in the fall of 1872, serving one term. He married Miss Emma Clark of Washington, Pa., July 4, 1869: she died January 21, 1870, without issue. He married Miss Louise D. Walker of Chenango County, N. Y., June 24, 1876, by whom he has had male twins, both of whom died in infancy.
WILLIAM A. MORGAN, editor and proprietor of Chase County Leader, was born in County of Cork, Ireland, March 7, 1840. Came to the United States in 1847 with his father, who located at Cincinnati, Ohio, where the subject of this sketch spent his early life. He received a common school education and learned the trade of a printer. In 1860 he removed to Newport, Ky., and in 1861 he enlisted as private in Company D, Twenty-third Regiment, Kentucky Volunteer Infantry. Was afterward promoted to Corporal, Sergeant, Sergeant-Major, Second Lieutenant and First Lieutenant. Was assigned to the army of the Ohio and participated in the battle of Perryville. The regiment was then transferred to the army of the Cumberland, and he afterwards participated in the battles of Stone River, Chickamauga, the campaign and siege of Atlanta, then took part in the pursuit of Hood, and participated in the battles of Franklin and Nashville. He resigned while at Nashville in December, 1864. Then returned to Cincinnati and engaged in the trade which he followed until he came to Kansas, in February, 1871. He located at Cottonwood Falls, and on March 4, 1871, issued the first copy of the Chase County Leader. This was one of the first papers published in Southwestern Kansas, and has ever since appeared regularly to its patrons. It is Republican in politics, and one of the leading papers in this part of the State. Mr. Morgan was elected to the Legislature in the fall of 1878 and served tow years. He is a member of Zeredatha Lodge, No. 80, A., F. & A. M., a member of Falls Lodge, No. 747, K. of H., and a member of Geary Post, No. 15, G. A. R. He married Miss Wilhelmina D. Youst of Cincinnati, Ohio, March 21, 1864, by whom he has two children - William Y. and Annie K., both living.
STEPHEN A. PERRIGO, postmaster, was born in Clinton County, N. Y., July 26, 1824. When he was about seven years old his parents removed to Buffalo, N. Y., and resided there about five years. In 1863 they removed to Toledo, Ohio, but after a short residence there located in Ashtabula County, Ohio, where the subject of this sketch remained until after attaining his majority. In the fall of 1848 he went to California by the overland route, wintering in Independence, Mo., and reaching the headwaters of Bear River in September, 1849. He remained there about four years, engaged principally in mercantile business. He then returned to Ohio and engaged in milling and farming, in which he continued until 1863. He then removed to Lake City, Wabasha Co., Minn., and engaged in hardware and agricultural implement business, continuing there until the spring of 1871, when he came to Kansas. He located at Cottonwood Falls and engaged in general merchandising; he continued in this business until 1876, when his son succeeded him in the business. He was appointed postmaster in February, 1876, and has since held the office; he has held the office of clerk of Falls Township for three years. Mr. Perrigo was a charter member of the Falls Lodge, No. 747, K. of H. He married Miss Louisa E. Miller of Madison, Ohio, in 1854, by which marriage he has had three children, of whom Samuel F. and Stephen M. are living.
W. W. SANDERS, Cashier of Chase County National Bank, Cottonwood Falls, was born December 24, 1840, at Mifflin, Pa.; during the next summer his parents removed to Belmont County, Ohio, locating near St. Clairsville. His mother died when he was only a little over nine years of age and he was from that time thrown among strangers, but fate cast his lines in pleasant places and he lived with a fine family named Bickham, residing five miles north of St. Clairsville. He applied himself especially to mathematics and other branches fitting himself for a teacher in which he engaged in his nineteenth year. He attend Franklin College at New Athena in 1860, and in May, 1862, he graduated from Duff's Commercial College, Pittsburg. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company G, Ninety-eighth Regiment, Ohio Volunteers. His regiment was in the Second Brigade, Second Division, Jeff. C. Davis, of the Fourteenth Corps. On the 7th of October he was wounded below the left knee at the battle of Perry Hill. This wound confined him to the hospital until January, 1863, when he rejoined his regiment at Franklin, Tenn. He participated in the battle of Chickamauga in which his company lost several men and the regiment lost nearly all its commanding officers, yet held its ground long after the loss of all its ammunition and retreated to Rossville, thence to Chattanooga. He was in the charge upon Missionary Ridge, and went towards Knoxville to relieve Burnside, camped for the winter at Chattanooga. Was with Sherman's army in all its Atlanta campaign, and in the fight at Jonesboro, was wounded by a minnie ball in the right thigh joint. Was sent to Atlanta and was discharged March 16, 1865. Had the ball extracted August 22, 1866. In 1867 he removed to Washington, Ohio, and took charge of a grocery store. During the years 1868 and 1869 he was principal of the Union School, but was compelled by ill health to resign this position and then came to Kansas. Located at Cottonwood Falls in March, 1871, and in the fall of that year he was elected County Surveyor, and re-elected in 1872, and again elected to the position in 1881. At the time of his election by the directors of the bank to his present position he was County Surveyor and also clerking in the store of Doolittle & Son. The election was a complete surprise to him as he had never applied for the office. It was purely a just recognition of his honesty and business qualities. Mr. Sanders is a member and elder of the United Presbyterian Church. He married Miss Ella M. McDowel, of St. Clairsville, Ohio, April 3, 1867, by whom he has four children - John B., Charles M., Bella M. and Nellie A.
JOSEPH A. SMITH, attorney-at-law, the third child of F. E. and Julia A. Smith, was born September 23, 1853, at Highland, Madison Co., Ill. His parents soon after moved to Carthage, Ill., and there resided until 1873, when they came to Kansas, locating at Emporia. Mr. Smith began the study of law at an early age, in the office of his father, and received a college education at the Lutheran College at Carthage, Ill. He afterward read law in the office of Scott & Lynn, eminent attorneys at Emporia, and was admitted to the bar by the District Court of Lyon County, March term, 1883, Judge Graves presiding. He then entered into partnership with Judge J. V. Sanders, and April 3, 1883, opened an office at Cottonwood Falls. Mr. Smith is the only resident partner and is assisted by Judge Sanders, who resides in Emporia, in all their court practice, thus making a strong and able firm who have built up in a short time a large business, ranking with the leading practitioners before the Chase County bar. Though young in years he has brilliant prospects before him and may confidently hope to attain eminence in his profession at an early age.
NELSON J. SWAYZE, private banker, was born in Niagara District, Canada, near Canada Falls, September 28, 1836. He came to the United States in 1853. He located at Detroit, Mich., and for several years his life was migratory. In 1863 he settled in Champaign, Ill. he there engaged in business as an architect and builder until 1870, when he came to Kansas. In the spring of 1871 he located at Cottonwood Falls, and engaged in the lumber business, in which he continued about a year, under the firm name of Swayze & Edwards. He then sold his interest in the business to his partner and occupied himself as a street broker or money loaner. In July, 1873, he opened the Chase County Bank of N. J. Swayze, and has since been engaged in the general banking business. Average deposits from $20,000 to $50,000. He also owns a farm of 1,100 acres, situated upon the Cottonwood River west of Strong City; this he rents. He also owns about 160 acres of land in Bazaar Township, and about 200 acres in Rice County. He is likewise engaged in sheep grazing and wool growing, having about 1,500 head in his flock. Mr. Swayze has risen from comparative poverty to his present position and may justly be proud of it as his wealth has truly been earned by the sweat of his brow. Mr. Swayze is a member of Zeredatha Lodge No. 80, A., F. & A. M., and of Emporia Chapter No. 12, R. A. M. He married Miss Anna Thomas of Cannonsburg, Mich., November 15, 1866, by whom he has two children - William H. and Fred H., both living.
JOHN M. TUTTLE general merchant, was born in McHenry County, Ill., December 17, 1839. He was brought up on a farm and received a common school education in his native county, where he remained until September, 1861, when he enlisted as a private in Company H, Eighth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Cavalry. The regiment was assigned to the 'Army of the Potomac' and served in the Third Corps, (Gen. Sumner) until the formation of the cavalry corps. He was then placed under command of Gen. Sheridan. Mr. Tuttle participated in the battle of Williamsburg, (in which he received a flesh wound in the foot which confined him to the hospital for about a month) the Pennsylvania campaign of Gen. McClellan and the Antietam and Cold Harbor battles, with many others, besides numerous skirmishes. He was discharged on surgeon's certificate of disability, in September, 1864; and decided to try the charms of peace. He returned to Illinois and engaged in farming, continuing until the fall of 1869, when he came to Kansas. In 1870 he located in Chase County, and purchased a partly improved farm of 160 acres, situated on Fox Creek, in Falls Township. He afterward purchased eighty acres adjoining. This farm he improved and operated two years. He then rented it and in the fall of 1872 removed to Cottonwood Falls and engaged in general merchandising. In 1874 he built the store building he now occupies; it is situated upon Broadway. He has since that time been engaged in business here. He carries a large stock of dry-goods, boots and shoes, glass and queensware, groceries, etc., and does an extensive and prosperous business. Mr. Tuttle is a member of Zeredatha Lodge, No. 80, A., F. & A. M.; a member of Falls Lodge, No. 747, K. of H.; and a member of J. W. Geary Post No. 15, G. A. R. He has been twice married. His first wife was Miss Adelaide Chamberlain of Emporia, to whom he was married October 20, 1870. She died October 6, 1871, leaving a child, who died a month later. He married Miss Annette Winter, of Cottonwood Falls, September 22, 1873, by whom he has two children - Miriam E. and Evelyn, both living.
CLARENCE C. WATSON, merchant and farmer, was born June 14, 1849, at Lynchburg, Va., where he resided until the fall of 1865, when he removed to Nebraska, and was for a year Military Store- keeper at Fort Kearney, under Gen. William Meyers. He then went to Omaha, and clerked in a real estate office for a year; then, after three months' experience in a wholesale dry goods and notion establishment, started on the road with a four-horse wagon, selling notions at wholesale through Nebraska, Dakota Territory and Northern Kansas. He continued in this business about a year and a half; met with poor success, when, becoming discouraged, he discontinued this business, and went to Bullionville, Nevada, and started a restaurant and hotel. He continued this business about eighteen months, to his great pecuniary advantage; then sold out, and came to Kansas in the fall of 1872. Located on Rock Creek, in Bazaar Township, and bought 480 acres of unimproved land. He has since purchased additional land to the extent of 8,160 acres, which he now owns. He has made many valuable improvements upon this farm, having about 200 acres under cultivation, and uses the remainder for a cattle range. In November, 1873, he started in the mercantile business at Cottonwood Falls, opening a general store, in which he is still interested; he has, also since that time, had several business interests at Cottonwood Falls; starting several stores, and selling to other parties when under good headway. These enterprises include a drug store; hardware, furniture and undertaking establishment; a livery stable; a lumber-yard, and a blacksmith shop. In this manner Mr. Watson has done much for the advancement of the commercial and industrial interests of Cottonwood Falls and Chase County. Though yet a young man, he as had a varied experience. At the age of fifteen, a mounted courier in the Southern army; at twenty, driving a peddler's wagon; then running a hotel in a mining town in the mountains; and finally, controlling extensive business interests in peaceful Kansas. He married Miss Ida E. Hinckley, of Cottonwood Falls, January 11, 1874, by whom he has three children - Perry T., Rollie W. and Frank J., all living.
HON. C. C. WHITSON, Probate Judge of Chase County, was born in Lancaster County, Pa., March 23, 1822. He was educated in the common schools of Lancaster, the Kirkwood Academy in Chester County, and the Friends' Academy in Philadelphia. In 1844 he removed to Cincinnati, Ohio, where he remained engaged in mercantile business until April, 1861, when he entered the volunteer army, under the first call of President Lincoln, as Quartermaster of the Fifth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He was shortly afterward commissioned Captain and Assistant Quartermaster, which rank he held during the three years of his service, a large part of the time serving upon the staff of Gen. J. W. Geary, of Pennsylvania. He was mustered out in 1864. He then returned to Cincinnati, and remained until the spring of 1869, when he came to Kansas, locating first at Lawrence, where he remained a year engaged in the mercantile business. In the spring of 1870 he came to Chase County, locating at Cottonwood Falls. In the fall of 1872 he was elected Probate Judge of the county, and has been re-elected at every subsequent election. Is now serving his sixth term in this office, probably a longer time than any other incumbent has held the office in this State. He is a member of Angola Lodge, No. 58, I. O. O. F. Is also a member of John W. Geary Post, No. 15, G. A. R., in which he is now serving his second term as Commander.
HON. SAMUEL P. YOUNG, County Attorney of Chase County, was born in Rush County, Ind., December 11, 1833. He received a common school education in his native county, where he resided until 1841, when he removed to Washington County, Iowa. He first engaged in farming, then in the drug business, in which he continued about three years. The last eight years of his residence in Iowa he held the office of County Judge of Washington County. He came to Kansas in the spring of 1871, locating at Plymouth, Lyon County, where he remained engaged in live-stock business until 1874. He then came to Cottonwood Falls, where he has since resided. He was admitted to the bar in 1874 by the District Court of Lyon County, and admitted to practice before the Supreme Court in July, 1882. He commenced practice upon his location in Chase County. In November, 1882, he was elected to the office of County Attorney, and assumed the office in January, 1883. He married Miss Martha E. Parker, of Rush County, Ind., October 9, 1845, by which marriage he has had five children, of whom Martha E. and Theresa L. are now living.