|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (ALEXANDER - JONES).
ISAAC ALEXANDER, quarry man and contractor, was born September 12, 1833, at Salem, N. H. His early life was spent as a sailor, when tiring of this life he came to Kansas in May, 1856. He located first at Lawrence, where he remained about six months, engaged in following the trade of a carpenter. He then went to Prairie City, where he remained about the same length of time. In July, 1857, he came to Wise (now Chase) County, locating at Cottonwood Falls. He then pre-empted a claim of 160 acres, being the northwest quarter of Section 29, Township 19, Range 8, which he held about fifteen months; becoming dissatisfied he then abandoned it and took the northeast quarter of the same Section. This being part of the present site of the city of Cottonwood Falls. In February, 1861, the survey of the city was made, including part of the claim of Mr. Alexander. The other owners of the original site were: J. M. Pherson, J. B. Smith, and L. D. Hinkley. In November, 1861, Mr. Alexander entered the army as a private, in Company B, of the Ninth Regiment, Kansas Volunteers. He participated in all the battles in which his company took an active part, and was mustered out at Fort Leavenworth, in January 1865. He then returned to Chase County and engaged in farming, starting an orchard of 1,125 apple, 1,000 peach, 100 pear and 100 cherry trees, besides other small fruits, and one and one-half acres converted into a vineyard. He has been a resident of Chase County ever since his return from the war, and started in the business of quarrying in 1873. The first quarry he opened was in the town site of Cottonwood Falls. Since then he has opened quarries east of the city, and has at present four quarries, furnishing a large quantity of stone for shipment, including the foundation for the main structure of the State Capitol at Topeka. He at present owns 302 acres in Chase County, a great portion of it being quarry land. Mr. Alexander is a Republican in politics, and although having never sought or accepted office, wields a great influence in the political affairs of the county. One of the oldest settlers of the county, he has remained upon his original ground.
GEORGE BALCH, Sheriff of Chase County, was born in Niagara County, N. Y., September 6, 1833. When he was nine years old his parents removed to Ogle County, Ill., where he remained until 1856. He was brought up on a farm, and received a common school education. He came to Kansas in 1856, with a colony of 250 men from Illinois, and remained about a year at Lawrence. He was afterwards in different parts of the State and in 1859 located in Chase county, pre-empting 160 acres situated on Middle Creek, in Diamond Creek Township. This farm he at once commenced to improve, and cultivated it until March, 1862, when he enlisted as a private in Company A, Fifth Regiment, Kansas Cavalry. He participated in all the battles and skirmishes in which his company was engaged. He was mustered out at Little Rock, Ark., in March, 1865. He then returned to his farm and continued to operate it until his election to the office of Sheriff; since then he has resided in Cottonwood Falls and rented his farm. He has since purchased forty acres adjoining, and has made valuable improvements upon his farm, including a substantial stone dwelling, barn, corn cribs, etc. Mr. Balch is a member of the order of I. O. O. F. and a member of J. W. Geary Post, No. 15, G. A. R. He was elected Sheriff of Chase County in the fall of 1881. He has held several local offices in his township. He married Miss Jennie M. Houston, of Chase County, January 1, 1866, by which marriage he has had six children, of whom Albert C., Charles G., William O., Edwin E. and Jessie G. are now living.
SIDNEY A. BREESE, County Clerk of Chase County, was born in Mount Gilead, Morrow Co., Ohio, October 4, 1836,. He received a common school education and resided in his native country until 1855, when he removed to Muscatine County, Iowa, where he remained until he came to Kansas in the fall of 1857. He remained at Lawrence about a year, a part of this time engaged in the law office of S. N. Wood Esq. In November, 1858, he came to Chase County, and in the following spring he received a commission from Gov. Medary, as one of the members of the first Board of County Supervisors, the other members being Frank Leonard and J. M. Pherson. This board held its first meeting March 15, 1859, and proceeded to organize the county of Chase. In April of that year, Mr. Breese was elected Register of Deeds of Chase County, and afterwards re-elected, and held the office until he entered the army, October 10, 1861. He enlisted as a Corporal in Capt. Wood's Independent Company, known as Kansas Rangers. This company was afterwards attached to the Sixth Regiment, Missouri Cavalry, and served in Missouri, Arkansas, Mississippi and Louisiana. Mr. Breese was subsequently promoted to the position of Captain of his Company. He participated in many skirmishes and engagements with the enemy in Missouri and Arkansas, and in the siege of Vicksburg, the battle of Jackson, Miss., and the Red River campaign, under Gen. Banks. He was wounded, April 8, 1864, in the battle at Sabine Cross Roads, La. This wound disabled him from further service, and he resigned in New Orleans, in September, 1864. He returned to his home in Ohio, on a visit, and remained until the following fall, being married during this time. He then returned to Cottonwood Falls and engaged in mercantile business, in which he continued two years. In 1867 he was again elected Register of Deeds, holding the office two years. In 1868 he bought an unimproved farm of 360 acres, situated two miles west of Elmsdale (sic), in Diamond Creek Township, and removed to this farm during the last year of his official term. He afterwards continued the cultivation of his farm until in the fall of 1871, he was elected to the dual office of County Clerk and Clerk of the District Court. He held the office of Clerk of the District Court until January, 1877, and has held the office of County Clerk continuously since his election in 1871. He was elected County Assessor in 1859, and in 1860 made the first assessment in Chase County. He also made the official United States census in Chase County, and the then unorganized county of Marion during the same year. The first post office in the county, was on a farm near the present site of Strong City. This office was removed to Cottonwood Falls in 1859, and Mr. Breese was appointed the first postmaster, holding the office until he entered the army. He is a member of Zeredatha Lodge, No. 747, K. of H. He married Miss Maggie Irwin, of Mount Gilead, Ohio, May 19, 1864. She died August 10, 1873, leaving two children, - Carrie H., and Maggie B., both now living. He married Miss Theresa L. Young, of Cottonwood Falls, October 5, 1876, by whom he has two children - Harris Young and Victor Irwin, both living.
MALCOLM A. CAMPBELL, hardware and agricultural implement dealer, was born in Argyleshire, Scotland, August 20, 1835. He came to the United States with his parents in 1853, locating in DeKalb County, Ill., where he remained until March, 1857, when he came to Kansas. He located in Lyon County, on the Cottonwood River, near the present site of the village of Plymouth, and pre-empted 160 acres of land, which he improved and still owns. During the war he was captain of a company of the State Militia, and was called into service at the time of the Price raid, and upon several occasions to resist threatened Indian outbreaks and invasions. For sixteen years Mr. Campbell was extensively engaged in raising, handling and shipping cattle and hogs. In June, 1880, he removed to Cottonwood Falls and established his present business. He carries a large stock of hardware and agricultural implements and operates a tin shop in connection with his tin store. He is one of the old settlers of the Cottonwood Valley and has been for many years identified with the history and business prosperity of Lyon and Chase counties, living over twenty years near the county line. He has an extended acquaintance in both counties, and has the respect and esteem of hundreds of sturdy tillers of the soil in Lyon and Chase. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
CHARLES H. CARSWELL, attorney-at-law, was born November 7, 1854, at Salem N. Y. He received an academic education, graduating from Washington Academy, N. Y. in 1869. He came to Kansas in 1870, locating at Emporia, where he attended the academic department of the State Normal School about three years. He commenced the study of law in 1876, in the office of Randolph & Sedgwick, prominent attorneys of Emporia, and was admitted to the bar in September, 1877, by the District Court of Lyon County, Judge E. B. Peyton, presiding. In 1878 he began the practice of law at Emporia; and in May, 1879, came to Chase County, locating at Cottonwood Falls, where he has since resided and been actively engaged in the practice of his profession. Though yet comparatively a young man, he has won for himself, by close application to his profession, by his ability and faithful performance of the business entrusted to him, a leading position at the bar in Chase County. Mr. Carswell is unmarried. He is a member of Zeredatha Lodge, No. 80, A., F. & A. M.
W. H. CARTTER, M. D., farmer and stock-raiser, is a native of Cleveland, Ohio. Educated as a physician, and served twelve years in the United States Navy. Prior to the war he was connected with the Paruguay Expedition and laying the Atlantic cable. During the war of the rebellion he was attached to the North Atlantic and Gulf squadrons. At the close of the war he returned to Cleveland, and continued in practice there until 1874, when he came to Cottonwood Falls to engage in his parents business. He is largely interested in farming and raising graded and thoroughbred cattle, only in cases of emergency practicing surgery. The doctor was elected a member of the Kansas House of Representatives in November, 1882. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. and K. of P.
FENNIMORE P. COCHRAN, attorney-at-law, was born in Belmont County, Ohio, September 19, 1844. His early life was spent in his native county. His preparatory studies were made at Oberlin College, and he graduated from Athens College in the class of 1860. His law studies were commenced soon after, in the office of his brother, Judge R. H. Cochran, of Wheeling, Va. In April, 1861, he enlisted as a private in Company E, Fifteenth Regiment, Ohio Volunteers. The regiment re-enlisted in August for three years. Mr. Cochran was promoted to Sergeant of his company, and afterwards promoted to Sergeant-Major of his regiment, and in November, 1862, received a commission as First Lieutenant. His regiment was in the western army, and upon the re-organization of the armies, he was assigned to the Fourth Corps, Army of the Cumberland. Mr. Cochran participated in the battles of Pittsburg Landing, Shiloh, Perrysville, Stone River, Fort Donelson, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, Resaca, Kennesaw Mountain, Peach Tree Creek, the siege of Atlanta, and the battles of Franklin and Nashville. He was wounded in the Stone River engagement, and taken prisoner. He was held only one night, then re-captured while in the hospital of the enemy. He was again wounded in the battle of Chickamauga. Lieutenant Cochran served about eight months as A. C. C. upon the staff of Gen. Negley, and about two years upon the staff of Gen. Wood. He was mustered out of service at San Antonio, Tex., in November, 1865; he then resumed his law studies, and December, 10, 1866, was admitted to the bar by the Belmont Court of Common Pleas; and in the same month was admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of Ohio. He located at Wheeling, W. Va., in 1866 and commenced the practice of law. He remained there until the summer of 1871, when he came to Kansas; he located at Cottonwood Falls, and established himself in the practice of his profession. He has resided here continuously since that time. Has held the office of City Attorney four years and the office of County Attorney of Chase County two years. He is a member of Zeredatha Lodge, No. 80; also a member of J. W. Geary Post, No. 15, G. A. R. and a member of the order of A., F. & A. M. He married Miss Mabel M. Lindsay, of Cottonwood Falls, January 11, 1873, by which marriage he has two children - Dora E. and Robert L.
ELISHA COOLEY, dealer in sewing machine, pianos, organs and musical merchandise, Cottonwood Falls, was born in Hunterdon County, N. J., April 15, 1838. He received an academic education, but before entering upon a contemplated college course entered the volunteer service fore the war of the Rebellion. He enlisted in October, 1861, as a private in Company H, Ninth Regiment New Jersey Volunteer Infantry; was assigned to the army under Gen. Burnside, and participated in the expedition into North Carolina, which resulted in the capture of Roanoke Island, Newberne and Fort Macon, N. C. in all of which battles Mr. Cooley took an active part. He was also in the battles of Kinston, Whitehall and Goldsboro. He then remained on garrison duty, with occasional expeditions into the enemy's country, until the spring of 1864. He then joined the army of the James, and took part in the battles of Bermuda Hundred, Drury's Bluff, Arrowfield Church, Cold Harbor and the siege of Petersburg. His regiment then returned to Newberne, N. C., to recruit, and was not engaged in any heavy fighting until the army of Gen. Schofield entered North Carolina, March, 1865; the regiment was then ordered to Raleigh, and had some hot engagements on the old battlegrounds at Kingston and Goldsboro. The regiment traveled by land and water, over 7,600 miles, during its term of service. Mr. Cooley was mustered out of service July 12, 1865. He then returned home, and in the following winter attended a course of four months at Bryant and Stratton's Commercial College, Poughkeepsie, N. Y. In the spring of 1866 he removed to Bushnell, Ill. and started in business, but was soon after elected Constable and City Marshal. After holding these offices a few months he was appointed Deputy Sheriff of McDonough County. The duties of these three offices occupied his time until he came to Kansas in July, 1871. He located in Cottonwood Falls, where he has since resided with the exception of two years of this time, when he was engaged in farming. He has the only store in his line in the city, carries a stock of sewing machines and machine supplies, pianos, organs and musical merchandise. He has also in the same store a millinery department containing a good stock, which is operated by Mrs. Cooley. Mr. Cooley is a member of J. W. Geary Post, No. 15, G. A. R. He married Miss Cynthia A. Drake, of Bushnell, Ill., December 24, 1868.
JOHN S. DOOLITTLE, general merchant, was born in Williams County, Ohio, June 27, 1836. He received a common school education in his native country, where he resided until he attained his majority. In 1857 he removed to Lee County, Ill., where he engaged in farming, and remained until the spring of 1860, when he came to Kansas. After remaining a few months in Morris County, Kan., he settled in Chase County, and bought 160 acres of unimproved land situated on the Cottonwood River, in Cottonwood Township, which he began at once to improve, and cultivated it for about two years. He then sold it and removed to Cottonwood Falls and engaged in general merchandising, continuing until 1874, when he disposed of his business and bought a farm of 670 acres, situated on Diamond Creek, in Diamond Creek Township. This farm he has ever since operated. He has about 500 acres under cultivation. The principal crops are corn and wheat; also raises cattle and hogs, feeding all his crops to his own stock. In 1881 he again engaged in general merchandising, at Cottonwood Falls, in addition to the operation of his farm, under the firm name of Doolittle & Son. They carry a large stock of general merchandise, and do an extensive business. He has been elected to the office of County Commissioner twice holding the office four years. He has been Clerk of the District Court four years, twice elected Treasurer of Chase County, for a term of two years each; and has represented this district in the State Legislature two years. He has also held other local offices. He married Miss Sylvia A. Gifford, of Williams County, Ohio, December 18, 1854, by which marriage he has nine children, of whom Harmon J. and Hattie M. only are now living.
REV. WILLIAM B. FISHER, pastor of the first Congregational Church, Cottonwood Falls, was born in Northumberland County, Pa., October 12, 1851. When he was four years old his parents removed to Huron County, Ohio, where he was brought up on a farm. He was converted in 1872, and united with the First Congregational Church of Norwalk, O. His theological studies were begun in the Chicago Theological Seminary and were completed at Oberlin, Ohio, where he graduated June 5, 1880. He came to Kansas the following month locating in Johnson County. The first Sabbath in August he began his ministerial duties as pastor of the Congregational Church at Spring Hill, where he was ordained the 19th of the same month. This pastorate he held for one year. In August, 1881, he came to Cottonwood Falls. The first Sabbath in September he assumed his present pastorate. This church was organized February 3, 1868, with a membership of twenty-seven. It was for some time without a pastor. Interest was revived in 1881. The present membership of the church is twenty-five of whom eight have been added during the ministry of Mr. Fisher. In addition to the church at Cottonwood Falls, he has charge of the First Congregational Church of Elmdale, Chase County, which was organized with a membership of eleven, under his ministry in March, 1882. Fourteen have since united with this church and they are now in progress of erection a house of worship. He also has charge of the Congregational Church of Elmdale, Chase County, which was organized under his ministry in February, 1883, with a membership of twelve. He married Miss Linda L. Pierce, of Collins, Ohio, June 23, 1890. Mrs. Fisher is a Christian lady, possessing talents well qualified to aid him in his duties. She taught for nine years in the schools of Ohio, and is at present engaged in teaching in the graded schools at Cottonwood Falls.
ASBURY P. GANDY, Register of Deeds, Chase County, was born in Preston County, W. Va., July 13, 1825. He received a common school education in his native county, where he remained until after attaining his majority. In 1848 he removed to Lee County, Iowa and there followed his trade - that of a carpenter - until the spring of 1859, when he came to Kansas, located in Cottonwood Falls, and engaged in chair-making. He followed this business about three years. In 1861 he was elected Register of Deeds of Chase County. In 1863 he was elected County Clerk, holding this office two years. In 1865 he was appointed County Treasurer to fill an unexpired term, and elected at the next election. He then held the office about three years. In 1869 he was again elected Register of Deeds, and has been re-elected at each subsequent election. He is now serving his sixteenth year in this office, which fact is an indication of the esteem in which he is held by all political parties and the inhabitants of Chase County. His election on several occasions has been unanimous, and yet has never been strongly opposed by other candidates. He is an outspoken Republican, and has been identified with that party since it sprang into life, with the great struggle for liberty and union, where Columbia's banner waves. Mr. Gandy is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a member of Zeredatha Lodge, No. 80, A., F. & A. M., and a member of Angola Lodge, No. 58, I. O. O. F. He married Miss Nancy E. Williams, of Lee County, Iowa, December 11, 1853 by which marriage he has had ten children, of whom Flora M., married to William Holsinger, Esq., of Cottonwood Falls; Chester F. S., Florence J., Mary E. and Willie E. are now living.
THOMAS H. GRISHAM, attorney-at-law, was born in McMinn County, Tenn., January 16. 1849. When he was seven years old his parents removed to Cooper County, Mo., where be remained until August, 1864, when he ran away from home and enlisted as a private in Company C, Forty-fifth Regiment Missouri Volunteer Infantry. Participated in the battle of Castle Rock, crossing of the Osage River In Missouri during the Price raid. Then went to Nashville, Tenn., and was assigned to the Twenty-third Army Corps, Army of the Cumberland. Participated in the battle of Franklin and In the two battles before Nashville. He remained in Tennessee until February, 1865, having several skirmishes with the enemy. Then returned to Missouri, and was mustered out of the service at St. Louis. July 4, 1865. He remained In Missouri from that time until he came to Kansas. In 1876 he began the study of law in the office of Judge Benjamin Tompkins, at Booneville, Mo.. and was admitted to the bar in October, 1878, by the Circuit Court of the Ninth Judicial District of Missouri, Judge G. W. Miller, presiding. While in Missouri, he served three terms as a member of the Board of Registration. In the spring of 1879 he came to Kansas. locating at Cottonwood Falls, where be beg an the practice of law. In the fall of 1890 he was elected to the office of Prosecuting Attorney for Chase County, which office he held for two years. Retiring in January, 1883, be resumed the general practice of his profession in partnership with Mr. S. N. Evans, under the firm name of Grisham & Evans. Mr. Grisham is a member of Zeredatha Lodge, No. 80, A., F. & A. M., also a member of J. W. Geary Post, No. 15, G. A. R. He married Miss Sadie Park, of Chase County, December 29, 1882.
HON. AUGUSTIN S. HOWARD, President of Chase County National Bank, was born in Windsor County, Vt., December 4, 1830. He was fitted for college at Kimball Union Academy, from Dartmouth in 1818. In the fall of that year he went to Mississippi and engaged in teaching remaining about two years. In July, 1860, he came to Kansas and, and entered the law office of Ewing & McCook, at Leavenworth, Kansas, with whom he studied through that season. He was admitted to the bar in 1860 by the United States District Court at Leavenworth. He then returned home and spent the winter, and in the following spring entered the law office of Hon. Alfred Russell, at Detroit, Mich., with whom he studied about ten months. He then entered the law school at Ann Arbor, Mich., attending the law course during that winter. In the spring of 1862 he returned to Kansas, locating at Cottonwood Falls, where he has since resided. He was engaged in active practice about ten years. He has since been more or less in official positions, and engaged in the management of his individual business. He was elected County Superintendent of Schools in 1864, holding the office three years. He was elected District Attorney in 1864, holding the office two years; he was elected County Clerk in 1868, holding the office two years; was elected Probate Judge in 1870, holding the office two years; was appointed County Treasurer in 1872 to fill an unexpired term, and twice elected to the same office, thus holding the position about five years. He married Miss Carrie R. Shaft, of Chase County, November 28, 1863, by which marriage he has had eight children, of whom B. Franklin, Mabel G., Nellie, Bessie, Herbert, Augustine B., and an un-named infant are now living.
THOMAS S. JONES, attorney-at-law, was born in Pittsylvania County. Va., August 17, 1845. He was educated at the University of Virginia, and in law at Brockenborough School at Lexington, Va. He commenced practice in the eastern circuits of his native State, continuing until he came to Kansas in the fall of 1873. He located at Cottonwood Falls and engaged in the practice of his profession. He resided here until 1879. He was elected to the State Legislature in the fall of 1874, and represented this district one term. He was Mayor of the city in 1874, and held various local offices prior to his removal to Dodge City in January, 1879. He there engaged in law practice. In the spring of 1882 he was appointed County Attorney of Ford County to fill an unexpired term. He remained at Dodge City until April 1883, when he returned to Cottonwood Falls, and resumed his former practice. Mr. Jones is one of the leading men of his profession in this part of the State. He possesses an extended knowledge of general law, is able in argument, and attentive to the interests of his clients. He married Miss Mary G . West, of Halifax, Va., by whom he has two children-Mary 0. and Edgar W., both living.