|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
Everest is a new station on the recently completed Missouri Pacific Railway. It is fast building, and will probably become a good shipping point for the farmers of the vicinity. It is named in honor of Col. Everest, of Atchison, the attorney of the road. It is in the south central part of the county.
All Saints Roman Catholic Church. - This large and commodious structure was the first church built in Brown County. It was erected in 1868, and dedicated the same year. It cost $1,200. In the year 1882, an addition of twenty-five feet was made to the original building, making its dimensions now 24x75 feet. It is surmounted by a handsome belfry, and is furnished with modern furniture. The seating capacity of the church is 300, and its membership is 500, composed of some of the most influential and prominent families of Mission and Washington townships, in Brown, and Grasshopper township, in Atchison County.
The first pastor of the church society was Father Edmund, O. S. B., who commenced preaching in the Bohemian settlement, in the vicinity of Marak, in 1858. Father John, of the same order, is the present pastor.
Farmers' Elevator and Mill Co. - The steam elevator belonging to this company, located at Everest, Brown County, was erected in July, 1882. It is two stories high, and cost about $6,000. Its storage capacity is 18,000 bushels, and the cribs attached to the elevator have a capacity of 20,000 bushels more, and at the date of writing this short and imperfect sketch (April, 1883), are filled to their utmost capacity. The working capacity of the elevator is four cars per day. It has shipped, principally to the St. Louis markets, since it has been erected, 30,000 bushels of grain of all kinds.
The headquarters of the Farmer's Elevator and Mill Company is at Severance, Doniphan County, with branch houses at Everest and Willis, Brown County. The following gentlemen comprise the officers and directory of the company: Hon. B. F. Harpster, Prest.; J. D. Harpster, Vice-Prest.; Fred. Harpster, Supt.; W. H. H. Curtis, Secy.; H. Charters, Asst. Secy. and Mangr.; J. F. Harpster, Treas.; and B. F. Harpster, H. Charters, Fred. Harpster, W. H. H. Curtis, S. L. Ryan, J. D. Harpster, and E. N. Pugh, directors.
This company is undoubtedly one of the largest grain dealing firms in the State, and at present have on hand, stored in their elevators at Severance, Everest and Willis, over 300,000 bushels of grain of all kinds.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP.
DANIEL ANDERSON, farmer, Section 3, Township 4, Range 18, P. O. Robinson, was born in Johnson County, Mo., March 30, 1846, and lived in his native State until his ninth year, when his parents removed, in the spring of 1855, to Kansas, locating in Washington Township, Brown County, where Mr. Anderson has resided since. During the last war he was a member of Company A, Fifteenth Regiment Kansas Cavalry. He enlisted at Fort Leavenworth in December, 1864, and was discharged at the same place, in the summer of 1865. He was married in Brown County, December 29, 1871, to Miss Mary Cowley, a native of Ohio. She died in June, 1882. They had six children, three of whom are living, and who are named - Rosetta Bell, Thomas A. and Hugh. Mr. Anderson's father, the Hon. A. B. Anderson, is the owner of the well known trotting mare, Maggie F., who has a record of 2:30. This fine animal has won in the neighborhood of fifteen races. She was sired by Newry by Lexington, her dam being ------ ------, (sic) bred in Kentucky. He has been offered, and has refused $5,000 for this valuable trotter. In addition to Maggie F. Mr. Anderson has a fine string of trotting and running colts. He is extensively engaged in breeding fine stock of this description.
SEEVER & ANDREW, proprietors of the Star livery stable, Everest. Mr. Seever, the senior member of this enterprising firm, was born in Buchanan County, Mo., December 19, 1853, and lived in his native State until his eighth year, when his parents removed to Atchison County, in this State. Here Mr. Seever resided until his seventeenth year. He then removed to Leavenworth County, where he resided a short time, and after various removals, in the fall of 1881 located in Hamlin, Brown County, where he was engaged in the livery business, and where he lived until February, 1883, when he removed to the new and thriving town of Everest in the same county, where, in conjunction with his partner, Mr. Andrew, he built the large livery stables of which they are now the proprietors. Mr. Seever was married in 1878, in the city of Hiawatha, to Miss Mary A. Erp, a native of Missouri. They have three children - Gertie, Mertie A. and Clyde A. Mr. Andrew was born December 12, 1857, in Upper Canada, and lived in his native country until his twelfth year, when his parents removed to the United States, locating in Atchison County, this State, where Mr. Andrew lived until February, 1883, when he removed to Everest, Brown County. Messrs. Seever & Andrew represent the livery, feed and sale business in the lively new town in which they are located, with a dozen head of fine horses and corresponding equipages. They own a new and convenient barn, 43x72 feet, erected in the beginning of the present year. They are clever and accommodating men, have a large patronage, and hold good positions in the business community.
HERBERT CHARTERS, manager and assistant secretary of the Farmers' Elevator and Mill Company, Everest, was born in the town of Napanee, Ontario, Canada, in 1854, and lived in his native country but a short time, his parents removing to Oswego, N. Y.. Mr. Charters receiving his early education in the graded schools of this city. In 1871, Mr. C. removed to Port Huron, Mich., where he resided three years and was engaged as a bookkeeper in the Pine Grove Brewery, a large establishment. Thence he removed to Toledo, Ohio, where he remained one year and was employed as chief clerk in the Oliver House of that city. From Toledo he went to Fairfield, Neb., where he was engaged as chief bookkeeper for the firm of C. F. Shedd & Co., the largest and most extensive grain dealer in that State. He resided in Fairfield three years and then went in the interest of the same firm to Leadville, Colo., continuing in the employ of this firm about a year as superintendent in charge of large saw mills in Lake County, near Leadville. Mr. Charters then entered Burlingame's Assay Office, where he learnt (sic) assaying in all its branches, and then opened an assay office at Breckenridge, Colo., he was thus engaged about one year. While engaged in assaying, Mr. C. incorporated in company with others, the Frisco Discovery and Mining Company, of which company he was a director and secretary. From Breckenridge he went to Canyon City, Colo., where he was cashier for the D. & R. G. R. R. He held this position for a year, and then became a resident of Kansas, locating at Everest, Brown County, where he bought an interest in the Farmers' Elevator and Mill Company, and where he has continued to reside. He is a member of the Episcopal Church. Mr. Charter is a young and enterprising business man, a prosperous and prominent citizen and has a high standing in the community in which he resides.
FRANCIS MARAK, JR., senior member of the firm of Marak Brothers, dealers in general merchandise, groceries, boots and shoes, flour, feed, etc., Everest, was born in Moravia, Austria, September 6, 1841, and lived in his native country until 1857, when his parents immigrated to America, locating in Washington Township, Brown County, where the family has since resided. Mr. Marak is a member of the Roman Catholic Church. He was Deputy Postmaster of Marak Postoffice eight years, and a member of the Board of School, District No. 19, Brown County, three years. He participated in the War of the Rebellion as a member of Company H, Thirteenth Regiment Kansas Infantry, enlisting in September, 1862, at Robinson, Kan., and being discharged at Springfield, Mo., in March, 1863, for disability contracted while in the United States service. He was married in 1866, in Atchison County, to Miss Johanna Donahue, country born Irish-American. Marak & Sons started the first general mercantile establishment in Washington Township, Brown County, January, 1874, at Marak postoffice. They continued in business in this place until July, 1882, when their father sold out. Then Marak Brothers removed to Everest in the same county, where they have carried on business since. They are among the strong popular growing firms of the town, enjoy excellent credit and are men of acknowledge strength in the community.
E. W. METZGER, senior member of the firm of Metzger & Co., dealers in groceries, provisions, flour, feed, books and stationery, wall paper, etc., etc., Everest, was born near Lancaster, Pa., in 1834, and lived in his native Sate until his twentieth year, when he removed to Summit County, Ohio, where he stayed a short time and then went to Sterling, Whiteside Co., Ill., where he resided until 1859, when he removed to Shell Rock, Butler Co., Iowa, where he lived until 1872. He then removed to Fall City, Neb., in which State he resided until September 1882, when he became a citizen of Kansas, locating at Everest, Brown County, where he has lived since. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of Falls City Lodge No. 9, A., F. & A. M., and Falls City Lodge No. 13, I. O. O. F. While residing in the State of Nebraska, he was for three years Postmaster of the Preston, Neb., postoffice. He was married in Sterling, Ill., in 1855, to Miss Nancy Johnson, a native of Bedford County, Pa. They have three children living, whose names are - Andrew Robert, Lucius Helbert (married to Miss Lide Tracy, a native of Kansas), and Alta Mabel. Mr. Metzger is a practical and thorough miller, and has been engaged at working at his trade ever since his fourteenth year. He now has sole charge of the extensive flouring mills at Everest, and the excellence of the flour manufactured there is in a great measure owing to his skill. His son Lucius, has charge of the store, which has and is deserving of a large trade. Mr. Metzger is a plain, common sense, practical man, and is highly spoken of by his neighbors.
GEORGE PIERCE, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 27, Township 4, Range 18, P. O. Everest, was born in Sangamon County, Ill, in 1829, and resided in his native State until the spring of 1847, when he became a member of Captain Adam Dunlap's Independent Cavalry Company, of Schuyler County, Ill., being enlisted at Rushville, Ill., in the spring of 1847, and discharged at the close of the Mexican War, at Alton, Ill., in 1848. After the close of the war he returned to his Illinois home, where he resided until August, 1857, when he became a resident of Kansas, locating on his farm in Washington Township, Brown County, where he has resided since. He is a member of the Christian Church. During the War of the Rebellion, Mr. Pierce was an employe (sic) of the United States Quartermaster's Department under Capt. Samuel Hipple, United States Volunteers, and was stationed for a long time at Cape Girardeau, Mo. Subsequently, at the time of the Price raid, he was a member of Captain White's Company Fifteenth Regiment Kansas Militia, enlisting at Atchison in the fall of 1864, serving fourteen days and being discharged in the same city. Mr. Pierce is Deputy Postmaster of Everest. He was married in Petersburg, Ill., in 1850, to Miss Virginia Hall, a native of Illinois. They have five children, whose names are - Elbridge, married to Miss Julis Adkinson, a native of Indiana; Mary F., married to Thomas Roach, a native and resident of Illinois; Della, married to Robert Iles, a native of Kansas and resident of Everest; Ophie and Willie. Mr. Pierce owns a fine upland farm of 320 acres, situated two miles southwest of Everest. It is all enclosed, is in a good state of cultivation, is well supplied with water and timber, has an elegant residence, and good outbuildings and other improvements. He grows 4,000 bushels of corn, 800 bushels of wheat, and 400 bushels of oats yearly, feeds a car load of cattle, keeps 65 head of fine stock cattle, 65 hogs, and 13 head of horses. Mr. Pierce is a veteran of two wars, an old pioneer of Kansas, a thorough and practical farmer, a useful and prosperous citizen, and has a high standing in the community in which he lives.
JUL. THORSON, farmer and stock raiser, Section 27, Township 3, Range 18, P. O. Robinson, was born in Norway, June 20, 1836, and lived in his native country until his nineteenth year, and then immigrated to American, locating in Manitowoc, Wis., where he lived two years, and was engaged in farming and logging. From Wisconsin he came, in the fall of 1858, to Kansas and located in Sumner, Atchison County, where he lived sixteen months, and then went to Colorado, where he remained three years, and was engaged in mining and prospecting. From Colorado he returned to Kansas, locating in Washington Township, Brown County, where he has resided ever since. He is a member of the Lutheran Church. He took part in the war of the Rebellion as a member of Company C, Maj. Pope's Independent Battalion, Kansas Militia, and enlisted at Robinson in the fall of 1864; served fourteen days, and was discharged in the city of Atchison. He was married Washington Township, Brown County, April 14, 1871, to Miss Carrie Nelsen, a native of Norway. They have five children, whose names are - John T., Sarah Isabel, Annie Matilda, Oscar Nicolai and Henry Edwin. Mr. Thorson has a fine upland farm of 210 acres, all enclosed with substantial fences, and having 100 acres in cultivation, the remainder being timber and pasture land. The farm is well watered, has a small orchard, and has good improvements. Mr. Thorson also owns another farm, five miles form the home farm, which contains 161 acres. This is also upland, and is an excellent grain farm. It has seventy acres of tillable ground, the remainder being pasture land. He raises on both farms from 1,200 to 1,600 bushels of wheat, 400 to 500 bushels of oats, 150 to 200 bushels of rye, 3,000 bushels of corn, and cuts and cures from 25 to 30 tons of timothy and prairie hay each season. He feeds from 20 to 25 steers and 50 to 60 head of hogs yearly for the markets. He keeps 47 head of stock cattle, 50 head of stock hogs and 7 head of horses. Mr. Thorson was a poor man when he first came to Brown County, but now, owing to hard work, economy and the rich and prolific soil of his adopted State, he possesses two as good and as well stocked farms as there are in his vicinity. He is honest, intelligent and persevering, and is highly esteemed by his friends and neighbors.
WILLSON B. WAY, senior member of the firm of W. B. Way & Co., dealers in general merchandise, dry goods, clothing, boots, shoes, hardware, groceries and queensware. Everest, was born November 25, 1844, in Lansingburg, Rensselaer Co., N. Y., and lived in his native State until 1863, when he removed to Memphis, Tenn., where he resided five years. Then he removed to Philadelphia, Pa., where he lived ten years and was engaged as a book-keeper (sic) in the large wholesale establishment of A. A. Shomway & Co. In June, 1878, he became a resident of Kansas, locating in Leavenworth City, where he was a member of the firm of H. M. Hoffman & Co., dealers in musical instruments. In the spring of 1880 he removed to Effingham, Atchison County, where he engaged in the general mercantile trade. June 16, 1882, he removed to Everest, Brown County, where he erected his fine store building and warehouse, and where he has been in business since. He is a member of the Baptist Church. During the War of the Rebellion he was a member of Company K, Fourth Regiment Enrolled Militia, District of West Tennessee, and was Quartermaster Sergeant of his regiment. Mr. Way was married in the city of Philadelphia, in November, 1873, to Miss Ellen Lord Dewey, a native of Philadelphia, and a direct descendant of Phineas Stearns of the Boston tea party. They have one child, a son named Sylvester B. Mrs. Way's grandfather was Col. Bond of the Continental army. He was at Bunker Hill, and lost his life at Ticonderoga. Mr. Way is a descendant on his father's side of an English Quaker family and French Huguenots; on his mother's side from John Rogers, the martyr. The firm of which Mr. Way is a member carry a stock of about $15,000. They do the leading trade in their line in the thriving town in which they are located. Expect to sell $50,000 worth of goods during the coming year, and are one of the ablest business firms in the county.
WILLIAM N. CASSITY, farmer, Section 30, P. O. Wetmore, was born Jnne (sic) 5, 1831, in Fleming County, Ky. Reared in that county and at twenty-five years of age left for the West accompanied by his brother, M. P. M. Cassity, now of Wetmore. He recounts their adventures for a day or two after their crossing into Kansas at Little Santa Fe, and their wadding into a small lake one night to get a drink, the lake bearing the name of Cassity's Lake to this day. They finally made but lost claims in Miami County, and returned to Missouri. William N. then attended the land sale at Osaukee and secured the farm adjoining, where he has ever since resided, as through litigation, exchanges, etc., he secured his present 150 acre farm, paying $800 therefor. It was raw prairie and to-day (sic) with is improvements, fencing, buildings, orchard, etc., is worth $6,000. Mr. Cassity married January 16, 1862, Miss Annie E., daughter of Peter Shoemaker, of Wetmore. They have four living children, William J., Mary A., Mrs. E. Jenks; Peter A., and Isaac Newton, all born on the Brown County farm. Mr. Cassity and family belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church.
L. P. HAZEN, farmer, P. O. Capioma, was born in 1823, in Lewis County, N. Y.; came West to Fond du Lac County, Wis., in 1846; returned two years later to New York, and in 1855 located in Butler County, Iowa. The year of 1857 found him on a farm in Rock Creek, Nemaha Co., Kan. During his nine years residence there, he served one term as County Surveyor and one as Chairman of the County Board of Commissioners, which office he resigned upon his removal to his present home in 1866. Mr. Hazen has a good and well improved farm. Since his location here he has been twice Surveyor of Brown County; is a Republican of Whig antecedents. He married Sarah J. Quinn, of Warren County, Ill., and they have five children, all born in Kansas.
E. JENNINGS, farmer, P. O. Wetmore. Mr. Jennings came to Kansas in 1857; bought a claim in Granada Township, and lived on it three years and in 1861 settled where he now lives. Has developed from the raw prairie of twenty-two years ago a fine farm and enjoyable home. Has 166 acres and a sixty acre timber lot; 300 apple trees, small fruits, etc. He was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, October 28, 1818; was removed by his parents in 1825, to Union County, Ind., and reared there and in Vermillion County, where he married Sarah J. Trellinger. She was born in Chillicothe, Ohio, and four children have blessed the union, viz.: Orrin, Alonzo, Laura and Alma, all born in Warren County, Iowa, where Mr. Jennings lived form 1844 to 1857.
ARMSTRONG MARTIN, farmer, P. O. Capioma, was born in 1832 in Columbiana County, Ohio, from when he came to Kansas in 1857. His first claim was on Grasshopper Creek, where it crosses the Brown and Nemaha County line. He was unmarried and began almost penniless, the early strugles (sic) to get ahead in the world "when all were poor, but seemingly none so poor as I," are vividly recalled and pleasantly related by Mr. Martin. In the fall of 1858 he married and began in a humble way to prosper. Selling the Grasshopper Creek farm, he located where he now resides. Here he has 480 acres of land, 320 in Brown and 160 in Nemaha counties; it is well improved and provided with good buildings. Mr. Martin was a Douglas Democrat in ante-bellum days and a war Democrat later. He relates that in 1864 his was one of the only three Democratic votes cast for McClellan electors in Brown County. The others were Robert Ray and -------(sic) Armstrong. Mr. Martin has been twice married and has a large family of children.
AMASA OWEN, farmer and stock raiser, Section 15, Township 3, Range 15, P. O. Comet. He was born in Whitewater County, Ind., September 12, 1819, but lived in his native State only a short time, his parents removing to Cincinnati, Ohio, where they resided until Mr. Owen had reached the age of ten years, when they removed to LaSalle County, Ill., where Mr. Owen resided until October, 1856, when he became a resident of Kansas, locating near Hiawatha, Brown County, where he was engaged in farming and where he resided for seven years. He then removed to Powhattan Township, in the same county, where he has resided since. He was married in LaSalle County, Ill, July 16, 1848, to Miss Maria Louisa Wiley, a native of Switzerland County, Ind. They have four children living - Daniel W., George W., Isaac Bentley and Alfred Wiley. When the war of the Union broke out, Mr. Owen gave his eldest son to the Union cause. This son, Daniel W., was born in Lasalle County, Ill., and enlisted in Company I, Thirteenth Regiment, Kansas Volunteer Infantry, August 19, 1862, at the city of Atchison. He served all through the war and was discharged at Little Rock, Ark., June 26, 1865. He was a brave and faithful soldier, shared in all the dangers of his command and suffers to this day from the hardships endured while in the service. Mr. Owen owns a choice upland farm, lying in Powhattan Township. The tract is one mile long and sixty-four rods wide, and contains 128 acres. It is all enclosed by substantial fences, is in a good state of cultivation, and well supplied with water by means of wells and springs. There is a young and thrifty orchard, a handsome maple grove on the farm. There is also plenty of building stone on the property. The improvements are good, among the rest is a comfortable log-house, stock stable, sheds, and lots, granary, corn-crib, etc., etc. Mr. Owen raises from 75 to 100 bushels of wheat, the same quantity of oats, forty to fifty bushels of rye, 1,500 to 2,000 bushels of corn, yearly; keeps half a dozen head of cattle, thirty to forty stock hogs, half a dozen horses, and from fifteen to twenty head of fine sheep. Mr. Owen is an old pioneer of the State, and relates many graphic incidents of the early days of the State. During the troubles of 1862 he took part in a recounter between the Free-state and Pro-slavery party at Padonia, Brown County, and helped to defeat the former. He is an honest, hardworking farmer, a prominent citizen of Brown County, and is well known for his sterling integrity and good qualities.
GUSTAVE STEIBLER, farmer, P. O. Sabetha, came to Kansas in 1859, from Paris, Edgar Co., Ill., where he had followed his trade, that of wagonmaker. He began with eighty acres of his present farm, built a frame shanty and almost without a dollar began pioneer work. The "hard year" (1860) nearly starved them out, but the good sense and womanly pluck of Mrs. Steibler was such that she insisted in using money sent from Illinois, to bring them East again, to tide the family over the winter and it was done. To-day (sic) Mr. Steibler has 570 acres of well improved and valuable land and as good farm buildings as can be found in his vicinity. His cottonwood grove of three acres furnishes more wood than is needed for home use and the appointments of the farm are in all respects first-class. Mr. and Mrs. Steibler have three children and can look with content and pride on their Kansas record.
JAMES P. WIMBERLY, stockman and farmer, P. O. Netawaka, Jackson Co., Kan. Mr. Wimberly was born March 11, 1828, in Bath County, Ky., and educated in Danville, Ind. About 1846 he located in Rochester, near Springfield, Ill., and with that town as his home he ran on the Mississippi steamers. In 1860 he came to Kansas from Iowa, where he had lived about one year. In early life he had united with the Christian Church and for many years preached that faith through Kansas, living at Atchison, Nemaha and Jackson counties, and seeing many frontier experiences, and through exposure contracted a lung trouble that caused his retirement from active labor in the pulpit. For the past few years he has resided in Powhattan Township, Brown County, as a stockman and farmer. His wife was Amanda Bishop, of New York, and of their two living children - John H. Wimberly is a Jackson County farmer and Mary J. is Mrs. W. W. Garvin, of Powhattan.