|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
Willis is a new station on the Missouri Pacific Railroad, about six miles south of Hiawatha. It is already a thriving young town with a number of enterprising citizens, who do a good deal of business. It has two handsome churches, several stores and a number of fine residences, and bids fair to soon become one of the important towns of Brown County.
First Presbyterian Church of Willis. - This handsome edifice was erected in the summer of 1883. It is a frame structure, 30x50 feet, with a stately corner tower. The seating capacity of the church is 200, and its total cost, including the furniture, was $3,000. The society connected with this church was organized in the fall of 1870. Rev. D. R. Todd was the first, and Rev. S. M. Farmer is the present pastor. The following named gentlemen are the lay officers of the church society: H. W. Honnell, L. R. Spangler and James D. Stanley, elders; T. W. Stanley and George McNeil, deacons. The membership of the church is composed of some of the foremost and most influential families of Willis and vicinity. There is a prosperous Sabbath school connected with the church.
Willis Wesleyan Methodist Church. - The society connected with this church, formerly known as the Mission Centre Wesleyan Methodist Church, was organized September 19, 1885. Rev. F. D. Hanlette was the first pastor. The church building was commenced at Mission Centre in the spring of 1881, and completed and dedicated in the fall of 1882, at a cost of over $2,000. Rev. S. D. Kinney preached the dedication sermon. In March, 1883, the church building was removed to the new and thriving town of Willis where it now stands. Since the removal of the church building it has been entirely renovated and remodeled. It is neatly and comfortably furnished, and has a seating capacity of 300. The dimensions of the building, including a stately corner tower, are 28x50 feet. The membership comprises thirty-six representatives of some of the foremost families of Willis and vicinity. The first lay officers of the church society were: Ira W. Douthart, class leader; Henry F. Douthart, steward, and Catherine M. Wright, church clerk. The present officers are: John H. Robertson, class leader; Amos Campbell and Elijah Foster, stewards, and Charles L. Ferry, church clerk. Rev. Stephen L. Blanchard, is the pastor at present in charge. There is a flourishing Sabbath school connected with this church. It was organized in the spring of 1875. Henry F. Douthart was the first superintendent and Mrs. Lucy A. Comstock was the first secretary. The school has a good sized library and has a total membership of eighty scholars and ten teachers. M. G. Ham is the present superintendent of the school.
Elevator No. 1, Willis. - This elevator was erected November 1, 1882, at a cost of $6,000. It has a storage capacity of 20,000, with additional storage capacity of 25,000 bushels more, and has a working capacity of six to seven cars per day. The building is owned by the Farmers' Elevator and Mill Company. This company commenced shipping grain from Willis soon after the completion of the Missouri Pacific Railroad, August 15, 1882, and shipped since that time to various points 50,000 bushels of wheat, 30,000 bushels of corn, and 2,500 bushels of small grain of all kinds.
Maple Grove Schoolhouse, District No. 59, is built on the northeast corner of what was once a portion of Mr. Lewis K. Chase's farm (see Biography), the land having been donated by Mr. Ellwood I. Small, a former owner of the farm. It is a neat frame structure 22x30, and was erected in 1872 at a cost, including furniture, etc., of $900. It has a seating capacity of fifty. The first officers of the school district were - E. B. Greene, director; David Moore, clerk, and S. A. McNeil, treasurer. The present officers are - Geo. McNeil, director; Lewis K. Chase, clerk, and Jas. Henry Baxter, treasurer. Miss Mary E. Dickinson (now Mrs. Sam'l Ewell) was the first, and Miss Lizzie Ewing (now Mrs. N. S. Hazen) is the present teacher.
Delevan Schoolhouse, District 56. - This building is a handsome frame structure and was erected in the summer of 1872 at a cost, including furniture, of $1,500. Its seating capacity is fifty, and it is supplied with modern school furniture. Mrs. L. A. Comstock was the first, and M. G. Ham is the present teacher. The first officers of the school district were - John Elliot, director; H. F. Douthart, clerk, and J. M. Bell, treasurer. The present officers are - J. L. Yaw, director; J. W. Douthart, clerk, and John H. Robinson, treasurer.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - MISSION TOWNSHIP (BAKER - DOUTHART).
C. D. BAKER, dealer in general merchandise, is the son of Simeon and Caroline C. Baker, old residents of Brown County, and was born at Battle Creek, Mich., in 1860. In 1868 his father bought the tract of land which now comprises the thriving town of Baker, the family removing to Kansas in 1870, locating at Effingham, in Atchison County, where they resided until 1871, when they removed to the city of Hiawatha, where the family still reside. Mr. Simeon Baker was an old California 49er, and previous to going to the Golden State was in business in Green Bay, Wis., and on his California trip went through the section of country where Baker is now located. In 1868 he purchased 1,120 acres in Mission Township, Brown County, and 480 acres in the vicinity of Effingham, Atchison County. The town of Baker is now situated on his land in Mission Township. Mr. Simeon Baker is now deceased.
JAMES HENRY BAXTER, farmer and stock raiser, Section 14, Township 4, Range 17, P. O. Willis, was born in Carroll County, Ohio, in 1843, but left his native State at an early age, his parents removiug (sic) to Schuyler County, Ill., where Mr. B. resided until the fall of 1869, when he became a resident of Kansas, locating in Mission township, Brown County, where he has resided since. He took part in the war of the Rebellion as a member of Company A, Twelfth Regiment Kansas Infantry, enlisting at Wyandotte, Kansas, in the spring of 1862, and being discharged at Lawrence, Kansas, in July, 1865. He took part in the battle of Independence, Mo., and a number of minor engagements. He was married in Schuller County, Ill., in 1866, to Miss Sarah Clothier, a native of Virginia. They have five children, whose names are John, Charles, Effie, Leonard and Gertie. The new and thriving town of Willis, on the Missouri Pacific Railway, is located upon a tract of land belonging to Mr. Baxter, who was one of the founders of the town, and who named it in honor of his friend, Hon. M. C. Willis. Mr. B. will be pleased to give information concerning the property, values, wants, prospects, etc., of this new town. Mr. Baxter is one of the representative farmers of Mission Township, his home farm of 320 acres, near Willis, being one of the most valuable in the county. It is improved with good buildings, fences, orchards, wells, springs, domestic groves and meadows, and is devoted to mixed farming. Mr. Baxter grows about ninety acres of corn and fifty acres of wheat, and feeds fifty steers and one hundred hogs, has resided here a dozen years, and is greatly pleased with the country.
J. M. BELL, farmer and stock raiser, Section 8, Township 4, Range 17, P. O. Willis, was born in Madison County, Ky., in 1819, and lived in his native State until his twenty-first year, when he removed to Brown County, Ohio, where he resided continuously until May, 1869, when he became a resident of Kansas, locating on his farm in Mission Township, Brown County, where he has resided since. He is a member of Hiawatha Lodge No. 35, A., F. & A. M., and Mt. Horeb Chapter R. A. M. He was Justice of the Peace of Mission Township two years, and Treasurer of the same township one term. He was married in Adams County, Ohio, February 26, 1845, to Miss Eliza Snediker, a native of Virginia. They have five children, whose names are - Charles, married to Miss Sarah Griffith, a native of Virginia; Amanda, married to B. F. Derstine, a native and resident of Ohio; Kate married to H. F. Yaw, a native of Michigan, a resident of Brown County; Luella, married to Andrew Ammon, a native of Pennsylvania and resident of Brown County, and George, married to Miss Belle Macarthy, a native of Kansas. Esquire Bell owns one among the many fine upland farms in Mission Township. It lies two and a half miles southwest of Willis, and is enclosed by a fine hedge. It is well supplied with water, is in a high state of cultivation, and has fine improvements, embracing, among others, an elegant nine-roomed cottage, good frame barn, stock stables and lots, fine groves and orchards, and is, in short, as good an improved farm as there is in the county. Esquire Bell devotes his attention chiefly to raising corn, hogs and horses. He grows annually 4,000 to 5,000 bushels of corn, some of his corn last year averaging eighty bushels to the acre; keeps 100 to 150 stock hogs, and eight to ten head of fine horses. Esquire Bell is well and favorably known to the community in which he resides, has been an honored magistrate of his county, and is an honorable, upright man and citizen.
PETER BERNEY, farmer and stock raiser, Section 36, township 4, Range 17, P. O. Everest, was born in the County Carlow, Ireland, December 25, 1817, and lived in his native country until the spring of 1845, when he immigrated to America, locating in New York City, where he resided four years. He then removed to New Orleans, where he resided one winter. He thence removed to St. Louis, where he resided three years, and was engaged in the extensive saddlery establishment of T. Grimsley & Co. From St. Louis, Mr. Berney returned to New York City, where he was foreman for his brother, Thomas Berney, an extensive contractor, engaged at that time on public improvements in that city. From there he removed to Des Moines, Iowa, where he remained one winter, and in May, 1857, became a resident of Kansas, locating in Doniphan County, five miles west of Syracuse, where he pre-empted a quarter section of land. In 1866, he sold his quarter for 3,600, and then purchased a portion of the farm in Mission Township, Brown County, on which he has since resided and to which he immediately removed. He is a member of All Saints' Church and St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church. Mr. Berney was married in the cathedral in St. Louis, Mo., November 26, 1851, to Miss Ann Purscill, a native of the County Wicklow, Ireland. They have four children, whose names are - Nicholas (born in Doniphan County, May 30, 1859, married to Miss Eliza Gerety, a native of Atchison County, Kan.), Joseph (born in Doniphan County, August 5, 1861), Bridget Anne (born in Doniphan County) and Peter (born in Doniphan County, March 30, 1867).Mr. Berney has a splendid 1,200-acres farm, Myshall Hill Farm, names after the parish in Ireland in which he was born; lies three miles west of Everest. It is improved, with a valuab'e (sic) home, expensive and convenient barns and sheds, and good orchards and fences. It is well watered, and has an abundance of timber, well stocked, domestic meadow, and is an estate fit for a baron. Mr. Berney grows 8,000 bushels of corn; sows rye for winter pasturage; is a successful wheat grower, and is one of the heaviest cattle and swine feeders in the county. He sold $9,000 worth of fat steers and hogs last year, and has now 150 stock cattle and a yard full of prime pigs. Mr. Berney came to this county in 1857 with a land warrant of 120 acres and $40 cash. Has now real and personal estate worth close to $55,000, and pronounces this the best country in the world. Mr. Berney is a public-spirited man, whose work is respected all over this country.
HENRY L. BRADLEY, farmer, Section 22, P. O. Hiawatha, came to Kansas in March, 1871, and located in Brown County, on the farm where he still resides; contains 113 acres, all under a high state of cultivation, and was formerly known as Claytonville. For many years a postoffice was kept there and was only disorganized in June, 1882. Claytonville was the original county seat of Brown County, but Hiawatha contested for this privilege, and finally won after a long and severe struggle. Mr. Bradley was born April 4, 1832, in Chittenden County, Vt., where he attended school and worked at home with his parents until he attained the age of seventeen years. He then started out to make his own way in the world, and has been engaged at railroading and various other occupations. In most of his undertakings he has been successful, although some have failed, but being a gentleman of strong and determined character he was not easily discouraged with one loss, and abandoned such as were not profitable, to secure something that was. The desire for a new country in which to make his way, finally led him to Kansas, and he is now the owner of a fine farm with everything necessary for convenience and comfort at his stage of life. He was married to his first wife, Catherine Graham, in June, 1853. She died in March, 1855. His present wife was Miss Phebe Bell, whom he married in Vermont in September, 1825. Mr. Bradley is a charter member of Hiawatha Lodge, No. 83, I. O. O. F., and the son of John and _______ Bradley; his mother's family name was Chittenden. His father was a projector and contractor of railways, and at the time of his death had no superior in this line in the New England States, or perhaps in the Union. He was early connected with the Rutland & Burlington Railroad, and for a number of years was president of the same. At one time, when the treasury was so low that a majority of the directors, among them such capitalists as Timothy Follett and Samuel Henshaw, gave up the project, John Bradley, despite the general gloom, went to New York and raised the means requisite to complete the road. In the construction of the Texas & New Orleans Railroad, he was the controlling spirit, and its treasurer once said to a New York capitalist, that Mr. Bradley's service alone were worth to the company half a million of dollars. At the same time, he was also largely interested in the line of seven steamers, running from New Iberia to New Orleans. In connection with George W. Strong, of Vermont, he built a railroad leading out from Philadelphia into the rich country of West Chester and with Timothy F. Strong and Amos Page he built the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad from Chicago to Oshkosh, Wis. One year later he was one of the contractors on the Ohio & Mississippi Railroad and forty-five miles of the Rutland & Washington Railroad were likewise his handiwork, of which road he was one of the directors for some time. He was the projector and first contractor of the road from Schenectady, N. Y. to Athens. Early in 1858, he contracted for a railroad from Caracas, the capital of Venezuela, South America, into the heart of the coffee regions of that republic. He had completed seven miles of the road when a civil war ensued, which forced him to abandon the enterprise. The construction of the railway was under the supervision of his second son, Martin c. Bradley, who died of yellow fever at La Guayra, in the fall of 1858. Other railroads, too numerous to mention here, owe their existence and construction to the energy and perseverance with which Mr. Bradley was endowed, but, as has already been observed by what has already been mentioned, he was one of Vermont's most stable and enterprising men, coming from a family well connected. The mother of Henry L. Bradley was the granddaughter of Hon. Thomas Chittenden, the first governor of Vermont. He was prominently connected with the first settlement and early history of Vermont, especially in politics and the legislature, and took an active part in the suppression of the English force during the Revolution of 1776. But his name is too well chronicled in the history of this State and the United States, to be further extolled here; suffice it to say that to him and a few other gentlemen of his stamp, Vermont owes her birth and her standard, as one of the oldest and best States in the Union. Governor Chittenden died in August, 1797.
N. E. CHAPMAN, senior member of the firm of Chapman & Kipp, dealers in general merchandise, Willis, was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., in 1851, and resided in his native State until his fourteenth year, when his parents removed to Houston County, Minn., where Mr. Chapman resided until the spring of 1871, when he became a resident of Kansas, locating in the city of Hiawatha, where he resided until August, 1882, when he removed to Willis, Brown County, where he entered into business. He is a member of the Hiawatha Lodge, No. 35, A., F. & A. M., Mount Horeb Chapter, R. A. M., and Hiawatha Commandery No. 13, K. T. He was Postmaster of the city of Hiawatha four years. He was married in 1878, in Oregon, Mo., to Miss Mary A. Sporley, a native of Missouri. Mr. Chapman is an upright and prosperous business man, his firm doing the leading business in Willis. A good and exemplary citizen, and his commercial and social standing are of the best.
LEWIS K. CHASE, farmer and stock raiser, Section 22, Township 4, Range 17, P. O. Willis, was born in Lyme, Grafton Co., N. H., in 1832, and lived in his native State until 1866, when he removed to Fillmore, Andrew Co., Mo., where he resided ten years and was engaged in hotel keeping. In October, 1875, he became a resident of Kansas, locating in the city of Hiawatha, where he was proprietor of the Hiawatha House, and where he resided about two years. He then removed to his fine farm in Mission Township, Brown County, where he has resided since. He is a member of Lincoln Lodge, No. 138, A., F. & M., of Fillmore, Mo. He has also been a member of the Board of School District No. 59, Brown County, for the past five years. He was married in Piermont, Grafton Co.., N. H., July 4, 1854, to Miss Ruby Woodward, a native of Vermont. They have two children, names - Elmer E. and Willie A. Mr. Chase is the happy owner of a choice upland farm containing 160 acres. It lies three miles southeast of Willis, is enclosed by substantial fences, is in a high state of cultivation, is well supplied with water and has good improvements, embracing among others a neat and cosy frame dwelling, stock stables, sheds and lots, splendid orchards, groves, etc., etc. Mr. Chase devotes his attention to growing corn, oats, rye, domestic grass, fruit, grazing and stock feeding with gratifying success. Himself and lady are New Englanders of the best types, and are greatly pleased with the country.
GEORGE E. CLAYTON, attorney-at-law, farmer, stock and fruit raiser, Section 14, Township 3, Range 17, P. O. Hiawatha, was born in Clark County, Mo., August 28, 1834, and lived in his native State until his fourth year, when his parents removed to Madison County, Ill., where Mr. C. lived until the summer of 1858, when he removed to Kansas and located at Wathena, Doniphan County, where he commenced business as real estate agent and surveyor, in partnership with J. R. Plowman, and also that fall taught the first school ever taught in Wathena. In December, he, in company with Capt. Albert Heed and J. R. Plowman, made a prospecting tour to Brown County, then unorganized, but attached to Doniphan County for municipal purposes. He was enraptured with the unmistakable fertility of soil, beauty, freshness and wild grandeur of the then new county, and unhesitatingly resolved to make it his future home, and accordingly a town company was organized, a site for the new county seat selected, and by the company names Claytonville, in honor of the founder, and Mr. Clayton pre-empted a quarter section of Government land adjoining the prospective village as his homestead, and on which he still resides. On his return to Wathena, he was chosen to, in part, represent Burr Oak Township in the first Territorial Democratic Convention, at Lecompton, then the capital of the Territory, which he attended, and the Legislature convening at the same time, he prepared and had a bill offered in that body, for the organization of Brown County, which was offered in the House of Representatives by Hon. B. O'Driscol, member from Doniphan, and conducted to its final passage in the Council, by Judge Thomas Watterson, of same county, now living in Marshall County. In accordance with the ten existing Territorial statues made and provided, it became the duty of the Legislature, in joint session of House and Council, to elect the officers essential to effect a county organization, which was done in compliance with a petition from the voters of Brown County, and resulted in the election of George E. Clayton, Probate Judge, and ex officio Chairman of the Board of County Commissioners which offices he filled with credit to himself and satisfaction to the people of the county, as evinced by his fairness, impartiality, and freedom from partisan, prejudice, especially in the completion of the organization of the county when it became his prerogative and duty to appoint a sheriff, county surveyor and coroner, and justices of the peace and constables in each of the four townships into which he had municipally subdivided the county; distributing these offices fairly between political friends and foes. He established a store of general merchandise in Claytonville, in August, 1857, the first in the county, and also obtained the establishment of a postoffice at the same place, and served as Postmaster of the same three years. He is a member of the Baptist Church. Has been Notary Public for the past eight years, and holds this position at present. He took part in the last war, as a member of Company D, Eleventh Ohio Volunteer Cavalry, and enlisted at St. Joe, Mo., April 16, 1862, and was discharged at Omaha, Neb., April 1, 1865. His regiment served all through the war on the plains, against the hostile Indians. He participated in a number of Indian fights and skirmishes. He was married June 11, 1857, at St. Louis, Mo., to Miss Mary Caswell, a native of Illinois. They have four children living, whose names are - Herbert D., Cora, married to Henry J. Rhodes, a native of Pennsylvania, and a resident of Mission Township; Nellie and Elsie. Judge Clayton has a choice upland farm of 105 acres, all enclosed with substantial fences, and all in cultivation except twenty-five acres, which are timber land. The farm is finely watered by springs and brooks; there is also a fine fish pond 75x100 feet on the property. The orchard covers about five acres, and contains 1,500 fruit trees of various kinds. There is also an abundance of small fruits on the place. The improvements consist of a six-roomed cottage, placed on an elevated site, which commands a fine view of the prosperous towns of Robinson, Willis and Baker, and the city of Hiawatha. The lawn surrounding the dwelling is covered with evergreens and magnificent elm and maple trees. The other improvements consist of a stock stable, granary and other outbuildings. Judge Clayton had twenty-three acres in spring wheat this season, which only yielded fifteen bushels to the acre; thirty acres in corn, which averages sixty bushels to the acre; fifteen acres in potatoes, which turned out finely, yielding 3,400 bushels; he cut the grass from ten acres of timothy meadow land, which yielded two tons to the acre; he threshed this year, half of an acre of common millet, which yielded thirty and a half bushels of seed. Judge Clayton at present devotes most all of his time to the cultivation of his farm, but he intends shortly to pay more attention to the practice of law.
P. D. COMSTOCK, farmer, fruit andstock-raiser (sic), Section 8, Township 4, Range 17, P. O. Willis, was born November 12, 1835, in Dayton, Cattaraugus Co., N. Y., and lived in his native State until his twentieth year. He then removed to Waupun, Fond du Lac Co., Wis., where he resided until the year 1859, when he accepted an engagement as a salesman for Messrs. Wood & McGregor, and removed to Delavan, in the same State, where he resided until the 20th day of October, 1862, when he became a member of Company A, Thirty-second Regiment Wisconsin Infantry. He was a member of this company and regiment until June 4, 1865, when he was transferred to Company D, Sixteenth Regiment Wisconsin Veteran Infantry. He entered this company as a Corporal, and was discharged as a Sergeant July 12, 1865, at Louisville, Ky. He participated in Sherman's March to the Sea and numerous minor engagements and skirmishes. While in the service he was severely injured while crossing a bridge between Moscow and Grand Junction, Tenn., from which he suffers to-day (sic). After his discharge from the United States Service he returned to his home in Wisconsin, where he remained until the fall of 1868, when he removed to Kansas, locating on his farm in Mission Township, Brown County, where he has resided since. He is a member of Hiawatha Post No. 130, G. A. R. He was married in Troy, Wis., December 17, 1860, to Miss L. A. Edwards, a native of Walworth County, Wis., being one of the first white children born in Sugar Creek Township in that State. They have four children, whose names are Merton M., Mabel, Alice E. and Pearl Leland. "Delavan Fruit Farm," as Mr. Comstock's fine place is called, lies one mile southwest of the young and thriving town of Willis. It contains eighty acres, is all enclosed, is well supplied with timber and water, and is in a high state of cultivation. The farm is finely improved by a new eight-roomed frame dwelling, stock stables and lots, granary, corn crib, etc. On the northeast corner of the property is a handsome grove of native timber covering one acre and containing over 200 walnut, maple, elm and cottonwood trees. The orchard covers ten acres and contains 132 bearing apple, 1,000 peach and a large number of plum, pear and cherry trees. The farm is also abundantly supplied with a large variety of small fruits. Mr. C. raises from 1,500 to 2,000 bushels of corn, 3,000 to 4,000 bushels of small grain yearly. Keeps twenty-five head of stock cattle, fifty to seventy-five stock hogs, and six head of fine horses. Mr. Comstock is a veteran of the War of the Rebellion, a thorough and practical farmer, a prosperous and useful citizen, and has a high standing in his community.
GEORGE CUSHNIE, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 19, P. O. Hiawatha, was born May 19, 1834, in Aberdeenshire (sic), Scotland. He worked on a farm with his parents until 1855, then he emigrated to Canada, where he improved a farm of 100 acres in the county of Groy. This he successfully managed until the fall of 1868, when he came to Brown County, Kan., and purchased 160 acres of unimproved land from the Kickapoo reservation. He has now one of the finest farms in that section of the county, surrounded by hedge, well equipped as a residence, and other buildings, and supplied with all the necessaries pertaining to stock-raising, into which Mr. Cushnie has entered quite extensively. He has always been identified in advancing the public interest and welfare of his town and county but has never filled any official appointments, as this did not comcide (sic) with his wishes. He has, however, served a number of terms as Director of the School Board, as educational advancement is one of his chief delights. Mrs. Cushnie, nee Miss Frances Conat, was born in Kent, Eng., but was a resident of Canada at the time of their marriage. She is a member of the Christian Church, while Mr. Cushnie is connected with the Baptist. The names of their children are as follows - Jane, Ellen, Maggie, Barbara, Fannie and John.
HENRY F. DOUTHART, farmer and stock raiser, Section 8, Township 4, range 17, P. O. Willis, was born in Dearborn County, Ind., in 1841, and lived in his native State but a short time, his parents removing to Van Buren County, Iowa, where he resided until August, 1863, when he entered the United States Army as a member of Company f, Fourteenth Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry, enlisting at Columbus, Ky., and was discharged at Davenport, Iowa, in August, 1865. He participate din the battles of Pleasant Hill, Tupelo, and a number of minor engagements. After his discharge he returned to his home in Iowa, where he attended the Iowa Wesleyan University at Mount Pleasant, Iowa, where he graduated three years later, receiving the degree of B. S. After his graduation he was appointed Professor of Mathematics at the Simpson Centenary College at Indianola, Warren Co., Iowa. He held this position until the spring of 1870, when he became a resident of Kansas, locating on his farm in Mission township, Brown County, where he has resided since. He is a prominent and zealous member of the Wesleyan Methodist Church in Willis. He was married in Scotland County, Mo., March 23, 1871, to Miss Susan W. Miller, a native of Virginia. They have four children whose names are: Henrietta, Emetine, Robert and Bertha. Mr. Dithered and his brother Albert own together a fine upland farm of 320 acres. It is all enclosed by substantial fences, is in a high state of cultivation, is well supplied with water and has good improvements, embracing an elegant, new frame family mansion and good out-buildings. The farm is further improved by handsome groves, orchards, stock lots, etc., etc. Mr. D. devotes his attention exclusively to raising corn, hogs and cattle. He grows from 3,000 to 4,000 bushels of corn yearly, keeps 100 stock hogs, forty to fifty fine grade cattle and eight head of work horses. Mr. Dithered is an intelligent, prominent and prosperous farmer, a good citizen and an honorable, upright, Christian gentleman.