|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
Padonia, now a station on the Missouri Pacific Railway, five miles north of Hiawatha, was probably named in honor of Jessie Padon, who lived prior to 1862, in a log hut on the bank of the Walnut. Its first settler was E. R. Cornelison, who took a claim on April 3, 1854. Although a town in name, Padonia is now merely a thick settlement of farm houses. A school was built in this township in 1858, by the Padonia Town Company, a private corporation; this school is now included in Distrcit 13, of the public schools. The post office at Padonia was established October 20, 1857, and Orville Root was the first postmaster.
EDDIE A. CHASE, general manager of the extensive merchandise business of E. Chase & Son, was born June 24, 1864, in Brown County, Kan. He is the son of Elbridge and Almira Chase, his mother's family name Grover. They came to Kansas in the spring of 1859, locating in Hiawatha Township, Brown County, but shortly afterward removed to Padonia, where his father engaged in farming and stock raising until the summer of 1882 when he embarked in his present business. They have a store room, 50x20, two floors of which are all filled with a complete stock of general merchandise. They are also extensively engaged in shipping grain and live stock.
EDWARD R. CORNELISON, farmer and stock raiser, Section 18, Township 1, Range 17, P. O. Reserve, was born in Madison County, Ky., January 8, 1826, living in his native State until the spring of 1847, when he removed to Andrew County, Mo., where he resided until March 13, 1855, when he became a resident of Kansas, locating on his farm in Padonia Township, Brown County, where he has resided since. He is a member of the Christian Church. He has been treasurer of Padonia Township one year, and Justice of the Peace of the same township six years. He was married in Madison County, Ky., November 26, 1846, to Elizabeth A. Gillespie, a native of Kentucky. They have four children living, whose names are: John F., Robert W., married to Miss Lizzie Nutting, a native of Kentucky; Henry G. And William J. Esquire Cornelison owns a fine farm of 480 acres, lying on Walnut Creek. It is mostly upland; is all enclosed; is in a high state of cultivation and is well supplied with water. The orchard covers five acres and contains 250 apple, 300 peach and 100 cherry trees. There is 100 acres of native timber on the farm, comprising oak, elm, hickory and walnut trees. The improvements consist in part of a frame and log house, frame barn, 24x40, corn crib, smoke house, etc., etc. Mr. Cornelison raises form 1,200 to 1,500 bushels of small grain, 3,000 to 5,000 bushels of corn, cuts fifty acres of hay, keeps forty to fifty head of stock cattle, 100 hogs, and ten head of horses and mules. Padonia Christian Church is built on the northeast corner of Mr. Cornelison's farm. It was completed and dedicated in September, 1881, and cost with furniture, etc., about $2,200. Rev. M. F. Redlien was the first, and Rev. William Branch is the present pastor. The membership is seventy-five and consists of some of the most prominent and influential citizens and their families, of Padonia and Hamlin townships.
SAMUEL I. DANES, proprietor of Padonia Flouring Mills, Section 30, P. O. Hiawatha, was born in Lancaster County, Pa., January 16, 1830. Was reared on a farm and previous to coming to Kansas, was engaged in merchandising and stock dealing in Miami County, Ohio. He enlisted with the One Hundred and Forty-seventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Ohio National Guards, and was mustered into the United States service in 1862, and served until the close of the war. In 1865 he came West, to Brownville, Neb., where he improved a farm of 160 acres, which he sold afterward for $7,000. He subsequently improved several farms in Johnson and Nemaha counties, and in 1866 was married at Nemaha City to Miss Lydia E. Blair. In 1876 Mr. Danes came to Kansas, purchased the mill property, put in new machinery, and has since operated the same. It is situated on the west bank of Walnut Creek, and is the only water-power mill in the county, having a fall of thirteen and one-half feet. He has two twenty-inch wheels, three run of buhrs, a capacity for making thirty barrels of flour daily, which he sends to Hiawatha, Falls City, Neb., Hamlin, White Cloud, and various other distributing points. He and his wife are members of the Christian Church.
JOHN E. DAVIS, farmer, Section 5, P. O. Hiawatha, is a native of Ohio, born December 8, 1834, in Morgan County. In 1855 he removed to Wisconsin, and was extensively engaged in farming in Vernon County for a number of years. In 1862 he became a participant in the Rebellion, volunteering with the Twenty-fifth Wisconsin Infantry, Company A, and serving in the same till the close of the war. During the fall of 1869 he came to Kansas, and located one mile west of his present farm, to which he removed in the fall following. This he has improved from wild, unbroken prairie, and brought it to its present perfection for agricultural interest, being proprietor of 120 acres. Mr. Davis is serving his third term as Treasurer of Padonia Township, and is a member of Hiawatha Lodge, No. 35, of the Masonic order. He and his wife are original members of the Christian Church of Hiawatha, while he is an elder of that society. They were married in Wisconsin, January 1, 1860; her maiden name, Mary A. Williams. She was formerly from Ohio.
DAVID EVANS, farmer and stock raiser, Section 32, P. O. Hiawatha, is a native of South Wales, born May 30, 1819, in County of Carmarthen. Here Mr. Evans received a common school education, and was afterward engaged in agricultural pursuits there. In 1848 he was married to Miss Annie Bowen, a native of the same county as himself. In June, 1869, he came to the United States, and became a resident of Brown County, Kan., and purchased over one thousand acres of land in Padonia Township. This he improved, but has since disposed of nearly one-half of it, leaving him a fine improved farm of 500 acres. Mr. Evans was the founder of what is known as the Welsh Settlement of Padonia Township, consisting of ten families, all of whom came to this country through his influence, and constitute the best citizens and substantial farmers of this township. He has been connected with the Baptist church for more than thirty years, and was one of the first members of the First Baptist Church at Hiawatha, and has served in the capacity of deacon ever since he came to this State. Mr. Evans is one of the enterprising men of Brown county, and always takes a prominent part in the advancement of its best interests.
THOMAS HART, farmer and stock raiser, Section 17, Township 1, Range 17, P. O. Reserve, was born February 24, 1826, in Richland County, Ohio, where, however, he resided but a short time his parents removing to Morgan County, Mo., where they resided two years and then removed to Andrew County, in the same State where Mr. Hart resided until August 20, 1856, when he became a resident of Kansas, locating in Padonia Township, Brown County, where he has resided since. He is a prominent and consistent member of the Christian Church. He is also a member of Hiawatha Lodge No. 35, A., F & A. M. He took part in the war of the Rebellion during the Price raid, as a member of Captain Laycock's company, Kansas Volunteer Militia, enlisting in the fall of 1864 in Padonia Township, serving a short time and being discharged at Atchison. He has been Treasurer of School District No. 33, Brown County, fifteen years. He was married in Andrew County, Mo., September 2, 1847, to Miss Nancy J. Gillispie, a native of Kentucky. They have seven children living, William Henry, (married to Miss Lucinda Hanseberry, a native of Iowa,) Thomas J., (married to Miss Hannah C. Drake, a native of Ohio,) Mary Jane, (married to R. M. Stewart, a native of Missouri,) Jackson, married to Miss Florence Brown, (a native of Maryland,) Sarah E., (married to John M. Davis, a native of Kentucky,) Harvey W. and Perry, (sic) Mr. Hart owns a fine upland farm of 520 acres. It is all enclosed, is in a high state of cultivation, and is well supplied with water by means of springs, wells, Hart's Branch and Walnut Creek, which flows in a northerly direction through the farm. The orchard covers five acres and contains 500 peach, 500 apple and a number of cherry, plum and pear trees. The improvements are first-class, and embrace among others an elegant nine-roomed frame dwelling, surrounded by handsome shade trees, shrubbery and evergreens, a large frame barn 40x40, granaries, corn cribs and other out-buildings. Mr. H. grows 1,500 bushels of small grain, 10,000 bushels of corn, and cuts eighty acres of hay yearly, feeds four car loads of cattle, keeps fifty to seventy-five fine grade cattle, 150 head of hogs, and twenty-five head of horses and mules. He is an old pioneer of Brown, a prominent and prosperous farmer, a useful and honored citizen, and an honest, upright man.
DAVID HILLYER, Justice of the Peace, farmer and stock raiser, Section 24, Township 1, Range 17, P. O. Jonesville, was born in Mahoning County, Ohio, January 24, 1840, and lived in his native State until his thirteenth year, when his parents removed to Whiteside County, Ill., where Esquire H. lived until the spring of 1868, when he removed to Richardson County, Neb., where he lived two years and was engaged in farming. From Nebraska he removed to Padonia Township, Brown County, in this State, where he has resided since. He is a member of the Church of the United Brethren and of Hiawatha Post, No. 130, G. A. R. He is Justice of the Peace of Padonia Township. He took part in the war of the Rebellion and enlisted as a private in August, 1862, at Sterling, Ill., in Company B, Seventy-fifth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, being promoted to First Sergeant ere his discharge, which occurred in July, 1865, at Chicago. He was present at thirty-two engagements, among which were Nolansville, Knobb Gap, Perryville, Lancaster, Stone River, Liberty Gap, Lookout Mountain, Rossville, Missionary Ridge, Ringgold, the battles at and around Atlanta, Franklin and Nashville. He was married in 1861 in Whiteside County, Ill., to Miss Lydia Ann Campbell, a native of New York. They have three children, Florence, (married to John R. Patterson, a native of Geary City,) Alfred A. and Maud. Esquire H. has a fine upland farm of 160 acres. It is all enclosed with substantial fences and has 110 acres in cultivation, the remainder being pasture land. The water supply is excellent and consists of a number of fine springs and a branch of Lost Creek. The orchard covers three acres and contains 125 apple and 400 peach trees. The improvements are good and comprise a comfortable house, frame barn 26x28 feet, granary, corn crib, etc. He raises from 600 to 800 bushels of wheat, 75 to 100 bushels of rye, 300 of oats, 2,500 bushels of corn, keeps 10 to 15 head of stock cattle and 40 to 50 head of stock hogs. Mr. Hillyer is a brave veteran of the last war, a successful farmer, and an honored magistrate of his township, and has a high standing in his community for sterling character and worth.
AUSTIN W. HOYT, farmer, Section 5, P. O. Hiawatha, was born in Washington County, Me., where he was engaged both in the lumbering business and at farming. In 1869 he came to Kansas, purchased 160 acres of land adjacent to the place where he now lives, and built the first house on the prairie. His present farm he has improved from wild prairie and has now one of the finest farms in the county, together with a good, comfortable residence. Mr. Hoyt has been to Texas and also made on trip to California, from which he was obliged to return, however, to take charge of his brother's farm, who was killed by the falling in of the hay-shed on him. He has lost two sisters, and another brother, who was a Congregational minister for a number of years. His mother is still living and a member of the same denomination in which her son was a minister. Mr. Hoyt was married in 1880, to Miss Lizzie Hoyt, a native of the same State as himself. He is a member of the Masonic order, both in Hiawatha Lodge, No. 35, and Mount Horeb, Chapter No. 43.
TIMOTHY JONES, farmer and stock raiser, Section 2, P. O. Hiawatha, was born December 13, 1831, in County of Cardigan, District Cellan, near Lampeter, in South Wales. Here he received a common school education and pursued farming until 1871, when he immigrated to the United States. During the same year came to Kansas with very limited means, but a strong determination to better his circumstances, and how successful he has been in this undertaking will be seen further on in this sketch. He first settled on Lost Creek, Padonia Township, Brown County, and lived in a dug-out. In 1875 Mr. Jones purchased the farm upon which he now lives and is proprietor of 480 acres of land in this farm and 400 in Nemaha County. He is extensively engaged in stock raising and has 400 head of cattle and 500 sheep. Some of the latter are of the very fine grades of Southdown and Cotswold and were brought from Canada and Kentucky. During the spring of 1876 Mr. Jones erected a cheese factory for the purpose of manufacturing this article from the milk of his own dairy. This was the first one erected in Padonia Township, in which is consumed the milk from 100 of his cows, the production being about 200 pounds of cheese per annum per head. By several years trial of this scheme he has proved it to be as profitable an industry in this country as in South Wales, where it is one of the chief enterprises. Mr. Jones is a gentleman of strong will and great force of character, and by always giving strict attention to the business of to-day, has proved what one may do with little or no capital if he only has the required tact and perseverance and is not too easily discouraged. He was married in his native country, in 1860, to Miss Mary Jones, whose birthplace was in the same county and parish as his own. His father's family were all members of the Unitarian Church. Although he was born in and for many years a resident of Wales, Mr. Jones would not leave this country to return there to live under any consideration, but would be very much pleased to have some of his old friends and neighbors come here to live. His family consists of nine children, Ann, now Mrs. Arron Hall, of Hiawatha; Mary, married to T. P. Evans, of Nemaha County, Sarah, Jane, Maggie, Rachel A., Morris, Elizabeth and Ellen.
CURTIS A. McCOY, farmer and stock raiser, Section 33, P. O. Hiawatha, came originally from Harrison County, Ohio, January 7, 1852. He, however subsequently moved to Tama County, Iowa, with his parents, where his father, Thomas McCoy, was a contactor for the construction of the Central R. R. During the winters of 1865, 66 and 67, Curtis was a student at Cornell College, Iowa, and in the spring of 1868, came to Kansas, and settled with his parents on Section 4, Padonia Township. Here he lived until June, 1879, when he was married to Miss Eliza J. Tully, of St. Joe, Mo. He then removed to the place upon which he now lives, which he had previously purchased in 1873, at which time it was wild prairie. To-day it presents a very different appearance, being all under cultivation, with fine improvements, and surrounded with a beautiful hedge fence, and having a large orchard in a fine condition. He has one son - Thomas T. His father was born in Harrison County, Ohio, March 19, 1828. He was reared on a farm, and received his education in the public schools of that early day. He was married in 1851, to Miss Marinda Anderson of Ohio, and subsequently came West, as above stated. He has a fine farm of 160 acres on Section 4, Padonia Township, and is one of the thorough practical farmers of Brown County. He is a member of the Masonic Order, Hiawatha Lodge, No. 35. Mr. McCoy and wife are the parents of four children - Curtis A. (whose name appears at the head of this sketch), Hannah, Susan I. and Thomas A.
JOHN P. McKNIGHT, farmer and stock raiser, Section 5, P. O. Hiawatha, was born in Brown County, Ohio, March 21, 1839. He received a common school education, and when thirteen years of age, was offered a position as clerk, which he accepted, and subsequently held until he arrived at the age of manhood. At the breaking out of the Rebellion he became a participant, and for nine months was aid on staff duty with Gens. Ward and Harrison, after which he was nine months on the Signal Corps with Capt. Bachtel. Altogether he served in the Rebellion three years, then returned to McLean County, Ill., where he followed farming and merchandising up to the time of his emigrating to Kansas. This occurred in the fall of 1870, and he settled here on an unimproved farm of 160 acres. This has been transformed, however, to a thrifty, well-conducted farm, entirely surrounded by fence, mostly hedge, and good improvements in the shape of residence, barns, etc. Mr. McKnight belongs to the Masonic order, both in Hiawatha Lodge, No.35, and Mount Horeb Capter, No. 43, being past master of the former society. Was married in Illinois, in 1860, to Miss Mary E. Vanderbilt, of Pennsylvania. They have a family of eight children - George C., Walter S., John P., William E., Thomas E., Ida, Grace and Charles F. Mr. McKnight and his wife are connected with the Methodist Episcopal Church of Hiawatha.
LEWIS MORGAN, farmer, Section 4, P. O. Hiawatha, was born January 19, 1819, in County of Carmarthen, South Wales. Here he followed the occupation of farming, and in July, 1844, was married to Miss Sarah Bowen. During the spring of 1873, they came to the United States; their destination was Brown County, Kan., where three of their children had preceded them. The subject of this sketch first purchased eighty acres of land, and has added to it until he and his children are proprietors of 720 acres in Padonia Township. It is fine rolling prairie land, and 160 acres are in pasture for grazing of stock, as he is engaged quite largely in stock raising, and has on hand about sixty head of graded cattle. Mr. Morgan is a member of the Church of England, while his wife is of the Baptist persuasion, and an original member of the Welsh Baptist Church in Padonia Township. They are the parents of nine children - William, Hannah, John, David, Rees, Daniel, Annie, Isaac and Sarah. After Mr. Morgan had got nicely settled and his lands paid for, he, in company with his son Daniel and some of his neighbors, paid a visit to his native country, starting in January and returning in June of 1882. Although born in, and for many years a resident of South Wales, he is an evident admirer of Kansas, and was glad to return to the country of his adoption.
JESSE A. WORLEY, farmer, Section 3, P. O. Hiawatha, was born in Harrison County, Ohio, September 21, 1852. Here he was engaged in agricultural pursuits, and in February, 1872, he immigrated to Kansas, and became a resident of Brown County very soon after his arrival here, and during the summer following, settled on the place where he now resides. This consists of eighty acres of very fine land, well adapted for farming purposes, and is all in an advanced state of cultivation. Mr. Worley was married, in 1872, to Elia, daughter of Jacob Scouten, one of the pioneers of Kansas, who settled in Brown County as early as 1857.