|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
Morrill is located in the west portion of Brown County, on the St. Joseph & Western Railway, ten miles from Hiawatha. Although settled soon after the railway was completed the town was not laid out until February 27, 1878. The land occupied by the town was the property of T. J. Elliott, who on May 6, 1867, came to this part of the county and erected a sod house where his residence now stands and the same fall purchased the land of the town site. At this time there was no settlement within a radius of many miles. A Sac and Fox trail ran a short distance west of the town and the mounds of two of Jim Lane's old forts were still visible a few miles away. Antelope and elk were often seen and a coyote den was thriving in the east part of the present town.
The Town site as originally plated contained forty lots, each 50x100 feet. Two years later Mr. Elliott presented the town with a first and second addition, the latter containing ground for a public square. For a number of years after the completion of the St. Joseph & Western Railway a spur was all that was granted the town, but in 1877 the company erected a depot and caused all trains to stop at this point. T. J. Elliott acted as station agent and Miss Nettie Howe as telegraph operator.
The first house in town was a 12x14 occupied by E. Hani, who is still a resident of the place. The first store was that of the Farmers' Co-operative Association, located on the present hotel site. Upon the abandonment of this store a building was erected by Reid & Mickey upon the site of the former store and used as a general store until incorporated into Smith's hotel.
The first birth in Morrill was that of a son of B. H. Anmiller; the first marriage that of Reuben Ridley and Elizabeth Ryan; the first death that of Miss Sarah Dyke.
The first physician who located here was A. H. Clarke. He was soon succeeded by S. Miner, and later by the present resident physicians W. C. Cecil and L. M. Foster.
The first Postmaster was S. R. Myers, who had his office in the co-operative store. He was followed by J. T. Mickey, the location of the office remaining unchanged until 1878, when D. A. Vanderpool was appointed and removed it to his place of business, where it still remains.
The first hotel in the town was the Smith House, opened in 1879 by Leonard Smith. The house was sold about a year later to John McCleary, who in turn retired after a year's business and followed by W. P. Winton, the present landlord.
The first shipment of stock from this place was made in 1877, a load of hogs being placed upon a tier of hay bales.
The first school near Morrill was located on Poney Creek and taught in 1858-59 by William Hunter, and later by J. Boyce. The first public school was taught in 1864, in a log schoolhouse on the farm now owned by Mr. George Clark. When the school district was first organized, two families supplied all the scholars - fourteen in number. There were but three heads of families in the district, and perforce they constituted the board. In giving notice of election, posters were stuck up at convenient places on the farm, and the form necessary was completed.
A school was taught for some time prior to the organization of the town, at a point, just outside the present town limits. The school building was 24x30 feet. The present schoolhouse was built in 1878; is 28x48 feet, two stories in height, and cost $1,900. It has two departments. The first teacher in the new school was Miss Kate Herbert, who had entire charge for one year. The second school year, Miss M. Belts was made Miss Herbert's assistant. J. M. Reid and Miss M. Obenour were appointed in 1880, and retained until 1882.
The Morrill High School was built in 1882, by J. M. Reid, who opened it as a private academy, in September, of that year. The building is 40x50 feet and has two stories and a belfry, surmounted by an observatory. It stands on a commanding elevation at the northwest of the town.
Franklin Schoolhouse, District No. 52, Brown County, was erected in 1872. It is a neat and handsome structure and has a seating capacity of fifty. The first officers were: H Fulton, director; John Beamer, treasurer; and F. M. Starns, clerk. The present officers are: John Beamer, director; E. L. Miner, treasurer; and Aaron McGill, clerk. The building is well supplied with modern school furniture and appliances, and cost, as it stands with furniture, about $,1600. The average daily attendance is twenty-five. The house was erected by issuing bonds, which were sold at ninety-five per cent.; the first bonds ever sold in Brown County for that price.
Probably the first religious services held near Morrill were those of the Brethren at Work, or Dunkards, who met as early as 1870. At the present time they have no church in the town, but a neat, building, erected in 1881, a few miles away. It is 40x60 feet, with a basement, and cost $2,500. Their first preacher was Rev. J. J. Lichty, who was followed by Revs. Daniel Fry, Jonatha Warner and the present pastor, W. J. H. Bauman. A Sabbath school was organized in April, 1882, under the superintendence of John Burnworth, and has an attendance of over sixty.
Morrill Methodist Episcopal Church. - The society connected with this church was organized in 1878, and the building was completed and dedicated in August, 1880. It is a neat and handsome frame structure, and cost, with the furniture, fine chapel organ, etc., about $2,000. Its seating capacity is 200 and its membership is composed of thirty-five of the prominent and leading citizens of Morrill and vicinity. Services are held regularly every Sabbath.
The first pastor of the congregation was the Rev. Z. S. Rhon. The first trustees of the church were: George Wharton, Hiram Fulton, David Crewes, W. L. Doughty and Capt. Thornton J. Elliott. The first Sabbath-school superintendent was W. L. Dought; the first organist of the church was Mrs. Laura Hammond, nee Offnett. The trustees of the church at present are: Albert Cottrell, Samuel Bell, A. K. Twidwell and Gillam Cox. A. W. Stewart is class leader, and Albert Cottrell, A. W. Stewart, William Offnett and Miss Henrietta Middleswart are the stewards. The pastor at present in charge of the congregation is the Rev. J. W. Graham, a native of Patrick County, Va., who was born and reared a Methodist, and who had the courage to maintain his creed in his native State during the dark and bloody days of the Rebellion.
Christian Church. - the society belonging to, or forming, this church was organized March 13, 1882, by Elder J. W. Kelsey as Evangelist. Immediately after the organization of the Church society steps were taken to erect a house of worship. The building was commenced and completed in the year 1882, being dedicated in November of that year. The first pastor was Elder C. H. Pierce. He continued in charge until February, 1883, when he resigned to take charge of work in District, No. 1. J. W. Elliott and L. M. Foster were the first and are the present elders, and D. A. Vanderpool and John M. Reid were the first and are the present deacons. The trustees are: D. A. Vanderpool, treasurer, John M. Reid, and George L. Parker, clerk. The church building is a handsome frame structure, neatly furnished and in modern style, and when fully completed will cost $3,000. The society numbers about fifty members, composed of some of the most influential citizens of Morrill and vicinity. Elder J. W. Kelsey is the present pastor, and services are held regularly every Lord's day.
Morrill Lodge, No. 187, I. O. Of O. F. was instituted and dispensation granted by the Grand Lodge of the State, June 15, 1881, and charter granted October 12, of the same year. The charter members were composed of the following names gentlemen: D. A. Vanderpool, Joseph Kirk, T. T. Myers, W. L. Hammond, W. Brockhoff and Nathan Jones. The first officers were D. A. Vanderpool, N. G.; Joseph Kirk, V. G.; W. L. Hammond, sec'y; T. T. Meyers, Treas.; Henry Stafford, warden; B. Haldeman, conductor; George Roberts, R. S. to N. G.; A. W. Stewart, L. S. to N. G.; W. S. Anmiller, R. S. to V. G.; U. J. Tucker, L. S. to V. G.; W. Brockhoff, inside guard; R. Huxtable, outside guard; G. Cox, R. S. S.; W. C. Cecil, L. S. S.; G. L. Parker, chaplain. The lodge holds regular meetings every Wednesday night in their handsomely furnished hall, corner of Main and Roxanna streets. It has thirty-three members, composed of some of the foremost citizens of Morrill and vicinity. The lodge is in a good condition, financially; owns their furniture, paraphernalia, etc., and has money loaned out at interest. The present officers are: W. L. Hammond, N. G.; W. S. Anmiller, V. G.; H. C. Hamilton, R. S.; Z. T. Stewart, P. S.; D. A. Vanderpool, Treas.; T. P. Gordon, R. S. to N. G.; G. Cox, L. S. to N. G.; R. Huxtable, R. S. to V. G.; E. K. Wharton, L. S. to V. G.; James O'Ddonnell, warden; Nathan Jones, conductor; W. C. Cecil, I. G.; B. Haldeman, O. G.; A. W. Stewart, chaplain. The past grands of this lodge are: D. A. Vanderpool, Joseph Kirk, Henry Stafford and Nathan Jones.
The Morrill Cornet Band was organized in December, 1879, with twelve pieces, under the leadership of F. Hani. The band now numbers nine pieces and is under the same leader. It has on many occasions furnished music for other places, but is held together more by the love of music than desire for pecuniary profit. Rehearsals take place every Saturday night. The instruments owned by the band are valued at over $300.
Morrill Elevator, No. 1, was erected in the year 1879, by Messrs. I. N. Speer and Thornton J. Elliott. It was first operated for the space of two years by I. N. Speer. The firm of Speer & Co., then operated it until 1882, when the present proprietors, Speer & Hulburt, assumed the management. The elevator complete, as it stands to-day, cost $2,000. Its capacity is 17,000 bushels, and its working capacity is about five cars per day. Mr. R. B. Gibbs is the present superintendent of this elevator, and has been in charge seven months, and during that time has handled 75,000 bushels of grain of all kinds.
The town now has four general stores, two drug, one hardware and one furniture store, an hotel, livery stable and elevator. Its population is two hundred and twenty-five.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - MORRILL TOWNSHIP (BEAMER - FURNISH).
JOHN BEAMER, farmer and stock raiser, Section 6, Township 2, Range 15, P. O. Sabetha, Nemaha County, was born in Carroll County, Ohio, March the 16th, 1834, and his parents removed from there to Van Wert County in 1839, where he resided until 1859, when he became a resident of Kansas, locating in Nemaha County, where he lived for three years. He then returned to his former home in Ohio, where he resided until 1867, when he returned to Kansas, locating in Miami County, where he resided for two years; removed from there to Nemaha County, where he remained for one year, and finally he purchased a farm and settled, in 1870, in Morrill Township, Brown County, where he has since resided. He has been a member of the Board of School District No. 52, Brown county, for ten years. Mr. Beamer was married in Van Wert County, Ohio, April the 25th, 1858, to Miss Margaret Hudspeth, a native of Philadelphia, Pa. They have one child, a daughter, whose name is Mary E. Mr. Beamer owns a fine upland farm on the Morrell and Sabetha road, two miles from the latter city. The farm is enclosed by a handsome osage orange hedge; is in a high state of cultivation, and is well supplied with water by means of wells and spring. There is a young and thrifty orchard, and a fine grove of young willows on the place. The improvements are new and first-class. Among which are the comfortable and cosy nine-roomed frame dwelling, with its large stately shade trees overshadowing it. A new and convenient frame barn, 20x36, with fourteen-foot posts. A new and combined granary, corn-crib and wagon shed, smoke house, etc. Mr. Beamer devotes his time chiefly to raising corn, wheat, rye and oats, hogs and cattle. He raises form 3,000 to 5,000 bushels of grain of various kinds; keeps from 35 to 40 fine stock cattle; 30 to 40 stock hogs, and 8 head of horses. Mr. Beamer is an honest and industrious farmer; a prominent and useful citizen, and is popular in his neighborhood.
JOHN BLANCHETT, veterinary surgeon, proprietor of Morrill livery, and dealer in fine horse,. was born in what is now Arostook County, Me., April 19, 1837, and lived in his native State until his fifteenth year, when he joined his parents, who had preceded him, in Kankakee County, Ill., where Mr. B. resided until August 11, 1862, when he entered the Union army as a member of Company B, One Hundred and Thirteenth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He was enlisted in Kankakee City, Ill., and was discharged at Chicago, Ill., July 3, 1865. He participated in the battles of Tallahatchie, Ala., Arkansas Post, Black River, Chickasaw Bayou, Siege of Vicksburg, Colliersville, Tenn., Chewalla, Tenn., Guntown, and other minor engagements. At the last named battle Mr. B. was captured by the rebel forces under Maj. Gen. Forrest, and was taken to Andersonville, where he was confined however only for a short time, having managed to make his escape from the stockade, and finally reaching the Union lines at Memphis, Tenn. At the time of his capture Mr. B. was one of the color guards of his regiment, and was engaged in attending to the wants of Lieutenant Conway, Adjutant of his regiment, who was mortally wounded in this engagement. After his discharge from the United States service Mr. B. returned to his home in Kankakee County, Ill., where he staid a little over a year, and then on the 28th day of March, 1867, became a resident of Kansas, locating in what is now Morrill Township, Brown County, where he resided twelve years, and where he was engaged in farming. At the expiration of this time he removed to the town of Morrill, where he has resided since. He was Constable of Morrill Township for twelve years, Road Supervisor of the same township eight years, and Clerk of School District No. 10, Brown County, six years. He was married in Hiawatha, August, 1870, to Mrs. Mahala E. McDowell, a native of Kentucky. They have had four children, three of whom are living - Elmer A., Clement E., (died September 9, 1880), Martha E. and Tabitha Jane. By a former marriage Mr. B. had one child, a daughter, named Kittie, who is married to Theophilus Lanning, a native of Somerset County, Pa., and a resident of Morrill Township. Mr. Blanchett owns a choice valley farm on Pony Creek, four and one-half miles northwest of Morrill. The farm contains 180 acres, has 160 acres enclosed with hedge and wire fence, has 117 acres in cultivation, and sixty-three acres in pasture and timber land, and is well watered by wells, springs, and by Pony Creek, and one of its tributaries. There is a thrifty orchard on the place, which covers about three acres, and contains seventy-five bearing apple and 300 peach trees. The buildings on the property are good, and consist of a comfortable frame dwelling, stock stable, good granary, 14x14 feet, corn crib, 14x48 feet, etc. The wheat raised on his farm for a number of years past has averaged twenty-two and one-half bushels to the acre, oats sixty bushels, and corn fifty bushels. In front and on each side of the dwelling is a magnificent maple grove, which covers about three acres, and contains 300 trees. Owing to the fact of his being engaged in other business, which demands all his time and care, Mr. B. will sell his farm, which is undoubtedly one of the finest in the township, to a cash purchaser, cheap. Mr. Blanchett is a live and driving business man, and keeps a well stocked livery, feed and sale stable. In addition to managing this business, his services are frequently called into requisition by his neighbors as veterinary surgeon, in which art he is reputed to be very successful.
W. C. CECIL, M. D., physician and surgeon, was born in Hancock County, Ill., November 5, 1850, and resided in his native State until 1879, when he became a resident of Kansas, locating in the town of Morrill, Brown County, where he has resided since. In 1867, Dr. Cecil commenced reading medicine with Dr. W. D. Wade, an eminent practitioner of Plymouth, Hancock Co., Ill. After reading medicine in the office of his preceptor three years, he attended the Eclectic Medical College in Cincinnati, Ohio, one session. He then commenced the practice of medicine at Basco, Hancock Co., Ill.; followed his profession in this place until 1874, then attended another session at the Cincinnati Eclectic College, from which he graduated the same year. He then retuned to Basco, practiced his profession until 1877, when he attended another course at his Alma Mater in Cincinnati, returned to Basco, pursued his professional labors until 1879, and then came to Kansas. He is a member of Morrill Lodge, No. 187, I. O. O. F., and is Clerk of School District No. 34, Brown County. At the early age of fifteen, Dr. C. entered the Union army as a private in Company H, One Hundred and Forty-eighth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He was enlisted at Quincy, Ill., February 3, 1865, and was discharged at Tullahoma, Tenn., June 25, 1865. He was married in 1868, near Plymouth, Ill, to Miss Sarah E. Robinson, a native of Hancock County, Ill. They have two children, whose names are - Lena V. and Ralph. Dr. Cecil is an able practitioner, of excellent professional standing, and a genial, enterprising and public spirited citizen.
HIRAM CURTIS, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 35, Township 1, Range 15, P. O. Morrill, was born in Me?gs County, Ohio, May 1, 1844, and lived in his native State until July 22, 1861, when he enlisted in the United States Army as a member of Company E, Fourth Regiment, West Virginia Infantry, being enrolled in Mason City, W. Va., and was discharged at Wheeling, in the same State, July 22, 1865. He participated among others in the battle of Charleston, W. Va., Siege of Vicksburg, Big Black River, Jackson, Miss., Tuscumbia, Ala., Missionary Ridge, with Sheridan in the valley, and numerous minor engagements. Altogether, he was in over sixty engagements. After his discharge from the army, he returned to his Ohio home, where he resided until the spring of 1867, when he became a resident of Kansas, locating in Morrill Township, Brown County, where he has resided since. He is a member of Hamlin Lodge, No. 185, A., F & A. M., and of Hiawatha Post, No. 130, G. A. R. He was a member of the Board of School District No. 34, Brown County, three years. He was married November 2, 1872, to Miss Mary C., Bunn, a native of McLeand County, Ill. They have three children living - Lemuel, Rosa and Clara Eliza. Mr. Curtis owns a fine upland farm of 160 acres; it is all enclosed, in a high state of cultivation, and well supplied with water by means of wells, springs and Terrapin Creek, which flows in an easterly direction through the farm. There is a young and thrifty orchard on the farm. The improvements are new and first-class, and comprise among others, an elegant frame dwelling, containing seven rooms, stock stables and lots, granary, corn cribs, smoke house, etc. Mr. C. grows 300 to 400 bushels of wheat, 400 bushels of oats, 3,500 bushels of corn yearly, keeps half a dozen head of milch (sic) cows, thirty-five head of hogs, and four horses. Mr. Churtis worked at his trade as a carpenter for many years, but now he is an industrious earnest and thorough-going farmer. He is a veteran of the late war, a prominent and prosperous citizen, and is popular in his neighborhood.
THORNTON J. ELLIOT, farmer, and stock raiser, Section 36, Township 1, Range 15, P. O. Morrill, was born in Racine, Ohio October 13, 1842, lived in his native State until the breaking out of the Rebellion. On the first day of July, 1861, became a member of Company M, Eleventh Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry. Rose through all the grades from private to Captain of Company F, same regiment. Was discharged at Yorktown, Va., in the fall of 1863, re-enlisted the same day in the same company and regiment, was finally discharged form the United States service, November 6, 1865, at Philadelphia. Like all veterans upon re-enlisting, he was offered his veteran furlough, but declined it. In fact during his whole period of service he never had, or availed himself of a leave of absence. In an endorsement made on an official document, by Franklin A. Stratton, Lieutenant Colonel, commanding the Eleventh Pennsylvania Cavalry, the following appears, dated Headquarters Eleventh Pennsylvania Cavalry, before Richmond, Va., March 27, 1865, "Captain Elliot has served as an officer or enlisted man for nearly four years, and has not been absent with or without leave a single day during all this time, neither has he been off duty for sickness or other cause during the time named. Has always performed his duties with unusual promptness, fidelity and ability." Captain E., with the company to which he was attached, participated in McClellan's Peninsula Campaign, and was present at Newport News during the fight between the Merrimac and the Monitor. He also took part in actions at the Siege of Suffolk, Va., April 11th to May 4th, 1863; South Anna Bridge, June 26, 1863; Jackson, N. C., July 28, 1863; Bottom's Ridge, Va., February 7, 1864; Nottaway Bridge and Jarrett's Station, May 8, 1864; Flat Creek Bridge, May 14, 1864; Petersburg, June 9 and 16, 1864; Staunton River Bridge, June 25, 1864; Ream's Station, June 29, 1864; Deep Bottom, July 29, 1864; Yellow Tavern, August 21, 1864; Ream's Station August 21 and 25, 1864; Richmond, September 29, 1864; Darbyton Road, October 7, 1864; Charles City Road, October 13, 1864; Seven Pines, October 27, 1864; New Market Heights, December 10, 1864; Five Forks, April 1, 1865; Deep Creek, April 4, 1865; Amelia Court House, April 5, 1865; and Appomattox Court House, April 9, 1865. After his discharge from the army he returned to his Ohio home. In May, 1867, became a resident of Kansas, locating on his farm at Morrill, Brown Co., where he has resided since. Was married at Racine, Ohio, October 16, 1866, to Roxa V. Middleswart, of Portland, Ohio. She died August 17, 1868; one child, a daughter, Fluta, was the fruit of this marriage. She was the first child born in what is now the town of Morrill. She died March 9, 1879, in her eleventh year, of scarlet fever. Was again married February 17, 1875, at Hiawatha, to Miss A. A. Middleswart, of Portland, Ohio. Three children, one of whom is living, Frederick T., were the result of this marriage; Maria H., died March 13, 1879, Helen V., July 31, 1877. Oak Point, the charming home of Capt. Elliot, adjoins the town of Morrill, of which the Captain was the founder. This farm and the town site constitute Capt. Elliot's old homestead, the farm itself is as near a model in location, topography and farm improvements as any in Brown County. The pretty home, half a dozen outbuildings, superior board and hedge fences, fine sheltering groves, superb fruit orchards and gardens; and luxuriant blue grass, clover and timothy of the lawns and meadows, not less than the soil and location, make this one of the finest homesteads in the county. Capt. Elliot feeds 100 choice pigs, keeps eight cows, raises a few high grade calves, cultivates thoroughly, and is a systematic and successful farmer. Has acquired a handsome fortune here, lives a life to be coveted and for good judgment, clear insight, ready tact and executive talent, liberal intelligence and manly character, is the peer of any man in this region.
HARRY FLEGHART, boot and shoemaker, was born in New York City, March 19, 1853, and lived in his native city until his sixth year, when his parents removed to Fayette County, Pa., where Mr. F. lived until 1870, when he removed to Philadelphia, where he remained until the fall of 1873, and after traveling extensively in various parts of the United States, in the spring of 1874 located in the Pennsylvania oil regions, where he resided one year. He then after visiting Philadelphia and Baltimore, removed to Wooster, Ohio, where he resided one year. He then removed to Danville, Ill., where he resided until October, 1881, when he became a resident of Kansas, locating in Morrill, Brown County, where he has ever since resided and carried on business. He is a young, intelligent, active and honorable business man, an excellent workman and a thorough master of his trade, and is well spoken of in the community in which he resides.
WILLIAM FLICKINGER, farmer and stock raiser, Section 10, Township 1, Range 15, P. O. Morrill, was born in Somerset County, Pa., March 6, 1835, and lived in his native State until his thirtieth year, then removing to Ashland County, Ohio, where he resided three years. He then removed to Carroll County, Ill., where he lived until March 28, 1881, when he became a resident of Kansas, locating on his large farm in Morrill Township, Brown County, where he has resided since. He is a member of the German Baptist Church. He has been married twice. The first marriage was contracted in Somerset County, Pa., March 6, 1859, to Miss Catharine Peck, a native of the same county and State. By this marriage they had five children, four of whom are living - Lavina (died at the age of two and a half years, January 9, 1863), Calvin, Annie, Samuel C. And Hattie. The second marriage took place in Carroll County, Ill., June, 1872, to Miss Susan Peck, a native of Somerset County, Pa. Two children were the fruits of this marriage, whose names are - Joseph J. and Ada E. Mr. Flickinger owns a fine second bottom farm of 400 acres, all farming land, lying in one body, three and a half miles northwest of Morrill, and 320 acres of pasture land lying two miles south of the home farm. The pasture land is all enclosed, has plenty of living water and a good well, with windmill for raising the water. Pony Creek stock farm, as the home farm is known, is surrounded by substantial fences, is in a high state of cultivation, is one of the most beautiful and productive estates in this region, and is excellently supplied with water by means of wells, cisterns, Flickinger's Branch and Pony Creek, which flows in a southeastern direction through the farm. On the southwest portion of this property are the remains of Fort Plymouth, built during the 1856 troubles by John Brown, and afterwards garrisoned by the Free-state forces, under the command of Gen. James H. Lane. There are three fine orchards on the farm which together contain 300 fruit trees of various varieties. West of the elegant farm residence is a handsome maple grove covering one acre. Along Flickinger's branch of the Pony is a fine grove of willows and cottonwoods. On the south line of the farm is another fine grove of native timber which covers thirty acres. The improvements on the property are first-class, and comprise, among others, a splendid, large and convenient frame family mansion, 30x32, surrounded by handsome grounds adorned by handsome shrubbery, shade trees and evergreens, two tenant houses, new frame basement barn, 38x60, wash house, wood and coal house, granary, wagon sheds, corn cribs, cattle sheds and lots. Mr. Flickinger raises from 500 to 800 bushels of wheat yearly, 800 bushels of rye, 700 bushels of oats, 300 to 400 bushels of barley, 5,000 to 6,000 bushels of corn, feeds 2 car loads of cattle, keeps a herd of 100 head of fine grade and thoroughbred cattle, 150 Poland-China hogs, and 10 head of horses and mules. At the head of the Pony Creek herd stands Gen. Logan, bred by H. B. Putterbaugh, Esq., of Lanark, Ill., sired by Magenta Chief, by Arbiter, No. 16,170, dam Lady Franklin, dropped February 20, 1880. He is an animal of fine lineage and superior personal traits. Fifteen thoroughbred cows are also members of this fine herd, among which is Molly Dunn, bred by S. F. Estabrooks, Esq., sired by Lieut. Gage, No. 12,294. Mr. Flickinger is one of the prominent and prosperous farmers of Brown, speaks in high terms of the county of his adoption, is a useful citizen and stands high in the community in which he lives.
LAFAYETTE M. FOSTER, M. D., physician and surgeon, was born near Oil City, Venango Co., Pa., in 1842, but left his native State at an early age, the family removing to Wood County, Ohio, where Dr. Foster resided until the fall of 1876, when he removed to Savannah, Andrew Co., Mo., where he resided one year and then moved to Nemaha City, Neb., where he practiced his profession and resided until June, 1881, when he became a resident of Kansas, locating in Morrill, Brown County, where he has been engaged in the practice of medicine and surgery and where he has resided since. Dr. Foster received his early education at Republic, Ohio, attending the academy of this place four terms, there he graduated at the age of nineteen years, in the spring of 1862. White attending this institution of learning he also read medicine with Dr. John Wilson Price, an eminent and successful practitioner of this place. In the fall and winter of 1863 he attended lectures at the Ohio Medical College at Columbus, Ohio, and received his degree of M. D. from this institution February 28, 1864. Immediately after his graduation he received a commission from Gov. Brough of Ohio, appointing him an Assistant Surgeon in the Ohio Volunteer Service, in which he continued until the close of the war, being mustered out of the service June 15, 1865. After his discharge he returned to Ohio and resumed his profession at Mill Grove, Wood County. From there he removed to Missouri, as already stated. He is a prominent and consistent member of the Christian Church, a member of Morrill Lodge No. 187, I. O. O. F., and of Hamlin Lodge No. 185, A., F. & A. M., and of the I. O. G. T. He was married at West Mill Grove, Ohio, in the fall of 1865, to Miss Jane A. Henry, a native of Ohio. They have had five children, four of whom are living, Cyrus C. died August 28, 1882; Irvine E., Rosa J., Maud Mary and Mabel. In the fall and winter of 1878-9 Dr. Foster attended the American Eclectic Medical College of Cincinnati, Ohio, where he graduated May 28, 1879. In the fall of 1880 he took a special course of twelve weeks in the and treats a great many chronic cases at his roomy and elegant resident in Morrill and is a capable and honorable member of the medical profession.
JOHN A. FULTON, farmer, stock-raiser and feeder, Section 32, township 1, Range 15, P. O. Sabetha, Nemaha County, was born in Allegheny County, Pa., July 27, 1845, and lived in his native State until April, 1871, when his parents removed to Kansas, locating in Morrill Township, Brown County, where Mr. Fulton has resided since. He is a member of the Central City Lodge, No. 125, I. O. O. F. He has been noble grand of his lodge three terms, conductor six years; representative to the Grand Lodge of the State in 1882, and D. D. G. M. of his lodge in 1883. He has been Trustee of Morrill Township, Brown County, two years, a member of the Board of School District No. 52, eight years, and Assistant Sergeant-at Arms in the Kansas State Senate for four years. Mr. Fulton is a rising politician, has always acted with the Republican party, of which he is a prominent member, and was a delegate to the State Congressional convention held in Topeka in June, 1882, that had the honor of nominating the "Big 4." He participated in the War of the Rebellion as a member of Company E, Fourth Regiment, Pennsylvania Veteran Cavalry, and enlisted in Pittsburgh, Pa., August 16, 1861. Served with distinction and honor all through the war, and was discharged at Pittsburgh, Pa., in July, 1865. He was severely wounded at Gaine's Hill, again at St. Mary's Church, and the third time at Antietam. He took part in the battles of Gaine's Hill, St. Mary's Church, Antietam, second Bull Run, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Mine Run, Gettysburg, through the Wilderness Campaign, and up to the surrender of Lee at Appomattox, beside a great number of minor engagements. Mr. Fulton was married in Green Oak, Allegheny Co., Pa., in May, 1862, to Miss Hester E. Arthur, a native of Pennsylvania. They have five children living - Arthur Sheridan, Catherine M., Elizabeth L., Maggie B., and Hester Mabel. Mr. Fulton's parents, Hiram and Catherine Fulton, are still living, are hale and hearty, and are residents of Sabetha, Nemaha County. His father, since the age of sixteen, lived in Allegheny County, Pa., previous to coming to Kansas, and was for twenty years a river pilot on the Ohio, and is well and favorably known to many of the old steamboat captains on this river. "Willow Grove," as the fine farm of Mr. Fulton is known, lies in Morrill Township, equidistant from the thriving towns of Morrill and Sabetha, being two and a half miles from each place. The farm contains 325 acres, is all enclosed with substantial fences, is in a high state of cultivation, and is well watered by means of wells, springs, spring branches, and Mulberry Creek, which flows through the south part of the farm. There is a young and thrifty orchard on the property, which covers three acres, and contains 100 bearing apple, 150 peach, 50 budded cherry, and a number of pear trees. There is also an abundance of small fruits on the place. North of the dwelling is a handsome willow grove, from which the farm derives its name. The improvements are first-class, and consist in part of a new and elegant frame resident, 18x32 feet, with an addition 20x25, two stories high, containing ten rooms, surrounded by handsome shrubbery, evergreens and shade trees; a large frame barn, 40x60; granaries, corn cribs, stock sheds and lots, etc., etc. Mr. F. raises form 1,200 to 1,500 bushels of wheat, 1,000 bushels of oats, 11,000 to 12,000 bushels of corn, and cuts eighty acres of hay, yearly; has twenty acres seeded down to timothy and clover, feeds two car loads of cattle; keeps 100 to 150 fine grade cattle, 200 to 300 Berkshire hogs, and eight head of fine horses. The farm is admirably adapted either for grain or stock-raising, and is one of the model farms in Brown County. Mr. Fulton is one of the prominent and prosperous farmers of Brown, a veteran of the last war, a rising and influential politician, and an honorable man and useful citizen.
ROBERT S. FURNISH, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 13, Township 1, Range 15, P. O. Morrill was born in Jackson County, Ia., March 9, 1844, and lived in his native State until his fourteenth year, when his parents removed to Kansas, locating on their farm (still owned by Mr. F.), which they pre-empted, in what is now Morrill Township, Brown County, in the spring of 1857. In the spring of 1862, the family returned to Jackson County, Iowa, where Mr. F., resided until 1865, except the time spent in the army, when he returned to Kansas, locating on the same farm occupied by the family in 1857, where with the exception of eight years spent in traveling for the benefit of his health, Mr. F. has resided since. He participated in the war of the Rebellion as a member of Company B, Twenty-Sixth Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and enlisted in Clinton, Iowa, in August, 1862, and was discharged at Indianapolis, Ind., in October, 1864. He took part in the battles of Chickasaw Bayou, Arkansas Post, Grand Gulf, Jackson, and siege of Vicksburg. Owing to the exposure during the siege of this place, Mr. F. was taken sick and was sent to St. Louis, and thence to the hospital at Indianapolis, where he was discharged for disability, from the effects of which he suffers to-day (sic). Mr. Furnish owns a choice farm of seventy acres on Pony Creek. It is all enclosed with substantial fences; is in a good state of cultivation, and well watered. The improvements consist in part, of a new frame dwelling, good frame barn, corn cribs, granary, etc. Mr. F. devotes his attention exclusively to raising corn and stock. He raises 800 to 1,000 bushels of corn, keeps ten to fifteen head of fine grade cattle, forty to fifty head of stock hogs and ten to a dozen head of horses. Mr. Furnish is an honest, upright and prosperous farmer, a good citizen and stands high in the community in which he lives.