|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (SMITH - URY).
J. R. SMITH, Deputy County Clerk, is a native of St. Joe County, Ind., near South Bend, Ind. Was born in 1840. In early manhood he concluded to follow medicine, and in consequence he attended the Upper Iowa University, but the war breaking out and most of the students enlisting, he joined the Twelfth Iowa Infantry in 1861, but on account of disability he was discharged, and after spending most of a year in the Keokuk Hospital, he returned to Fayette County, Iowa, and soon afterward went to handling horses in Independence, Iowa. He then returned to his old home in Indiana. From there they came West in 1867, in a wagon train, himself, two brothers, sister and his mother. His father died in Iowa. He had five brothers in the army. Albert was in the Sixth Iowa, killed at Pittsburg Landing; Oliver in the fifth, who was confined in Andersonville and Libby Prisons twelve months and five days; Aaron was Captain of a colored regiment, and John was in the Ninth Iowa Infantry. One of his brothers is in Indiana, one in Clay County, Kan., one in La Cygne, Linn Co., Kan., and one in Colorado. Mr. Smith has also (in a useful career) been in the school room as an instructor, having taught in Missouri, Iowa and Kansas at least in eleven schools, and having also learned a trade, that of carpenter.
SMITH & NELSON, proprietors of livery stable. They established their business in 1881, and are doing a strictly livery business, keeping first-class horses and the finest of all kinds of carriages and buggies. Mr. Nelson, junior member of the firm, is a native of Virginia, born in 1860. He has been to his old home visiting only once since leaving there in 1870, with his parents. While in Arcadia he was Postmaster; this was in 1877; and in 1881 he went in with H. D. Smith in the livery business. Mr. Smith is an old and highly respected citizen of Fort Scott, who has traveled a great deal, and who then settled down on his farm south of the city. He was in the dairy business before going into the livery. They have about $6,000 invested now.
REV. R. H. SPARKS, Pastor of the First Methodist Episcopal Church, is a native of Franklin County, Ind., born July 6, 1833. He was educated at Brookville College, and joined the Southeast Indiana Conference in October, 1854. In 1861, he became a member of the North Indiana Conference. The principal charges to which he has been appointed in Indiana were Cambridge City, Union City, Mishawaka, Anderson, Logansport, Richmond and Muncie. In 1863, Bishop Andrews appointed him to Iowa City, Iowa, where he served the church one pastoral term. By his own request, he was transferred back to Indiana in 1865. In 1879, Bishop Wiley transferred him to the South Kansas Conference, and stationed him at Paola. In March, 1880, he went to Wichita, and in 1881, to Fort Scott. Under his ministry the church has prospered, having a membership of 170 and a congregation of from 300 to 400. In 1865, he was married to Miss R. C. Compton, daughter of Rev. H. Compton. They have two sons--Harry B. and Frank L., and one daughter--Mattie May; their eldest, Anna B., died in 1865. Mr. Sparks was Chaplain in the One Hundred and Twenty-fourth Indiana Regiment, and at the close of the war returned to his pastorate in Union City, Ind.
WILLIAM H. SPENCER, SR., farmer, Section 3, is a native of Kentucky, and was born in 1807, April 1. He continued to reside there till he had married and raised a family, when his sons wishing to come West, he came with them, and in 1871, arrived in Fort Scott, where he went into the grain and cattle business, and as soon as he got possession of the land on which he now resides which was in 1874, he built and improved; but in 1879 he was burned out and lost everything; they then moved to town, where they remained till his present dwelling was finished, when they moved back to his land, on which the house is built, containing twenty-six acres; he has also, on Section 14, 160 acres used as a cattle ranch, not a present stocked. His son, Robert E., oversees the farm and his son William H., Jr., is practicing law in California. Mr. Spencer has a sister, Mrs. Norton, living in Kentucky, and a brother James, aged eighty-three. In 1848, he married Miss Brookin, of Kentucky. They have four girls and two boys. He belongs to the Christian Church.
COL. ISAAC STADDEN was born in Newark, Licking County, Ohio, March 28, 1834. His father, Richard Stadden, was one of the pioneers of Licking County, and served in both the House of Representatives and Senate of the General Assembly of Ohio. He was a Captain in the Mexican war, for which he raised two companies, being in the Second Ohio both before and after its re-organization into two regiments. He was in all the battles from Camargo to Monterey. In the battle of Camargo, where he especially distinguished himself, he was wounded. For his gallantry in this battle he was rewarded with a pension.
Col. Stadden's mother's maiden name was Rachel Martin. Miss Martin was born in Redford County, Penn., and removed at an early day with her parents to Ohio. She was a lady of intelligence and education. Richard and Rachel Martin Stadden were the parents of ten children, of whom Isaac was the fifth. William, a brother of Isaac, was an Adjutant in an Illinois regiment during the war of the rebellion. When Isaac was twelve years old, his father moved his family to Mexico, where they resided two years. Upon arriving in Mexico, young Isaac enlisted in the Mexican war as drummer boy, and was with Gen. Scott from Vera Cruz to Mexico, and was appointed by Gen. Erwin, Drum-Major of the Second Ohio regiment. At the close of the war, his father removed to Ottawa, Ill., where Isaac received a good business education and worked on his father's farm. In 1858, the family removed to Kansas, settling at Rockford, Bourbon County. Here they resided until 1864. Upon the outbreak of the civil war, Isaac enlisted as a private soldier in the home-guards. His company was afterward included in the Sixth Kansas Volunteers, of Company B., of which he was elected First Lieutenant. This regiment afterward became a cavalry regiment, under Col. William R. Judson, Lieut. Stadden being appointed Adjutant, in which capacity he served one year, when he was mustered out. At the time of the Price raid, he raised the Twenty-fourth Kansas Militia, of which he was commissioned Colonel by Gov. Carney. As Colonel of this regiment, he did efficient service against rebel bushwhackers and guerrillas.
After the war he located in Fort Scott, and established himself in the grocery business. For six or seven years he carried on a retail trade, at the close of which period he commenced the wholesale business. This has steadily increased, until now it has acquired immense proportions, having few if any equals in the State. He employs several commercial travelers, and is doing an annual business of nearly half a million dollars.
In 1864, Col. Stadden was elected Mayor of Fort Scott, and has been twice elected to the City Council. He and his family are regular attendants at the services of the Episcopal Church, and he is a liberal supporter of religious enterprises. Politically he has always been a Democrat, but gives mot of his attention to business.
He was married November 16, 1866, at Paola, Kan., to Miss Nellie D. Newcomb, a daughter of Bayse and Mrs. May A. Newcomb, who was born in Philadelphia, and who graduated at one of the principal female seminaries in that city. They have three children--two daughters and one son--Lillian M., Leo I. and Nellie Mc.
ROBERT STALKER, retail grocer, commenced business in Fort Scott in 1876, doing an exclusively retail business. He came to Kansas in October, 1859, and resided in Marion Township; engaged in farming until 1865, when he removed to Crawford County. During the war he served in the Twenty-second Kansas Regiment, being on frontier duty most of the time, and participating in the Price raid. Mr. Stalker was born in Clackmannanshire, Scotland, March 30, 1838, and came to America, July 16, 1852. His first location was at Rochester, N. Y., and he remained there and at Brockport, N. Y., until about 1856, when he went to Rockford, Ill., making that his home until he came to Kansas. He was married in Marion Township, in October, 1860, to Elizabeth Stadden, a native of Newark, Ohio. They have six children--Emma, Janet, John, Mary, Richard and Isaac. Mr. Stalker is a member of the A. O. U. W., and of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
JAMES M. STANLEY, Register of Deeds for Bourbon County, came to Kansas, and located in Marmaton Township, where he lived until elected Register of Deeds in the fall of 1879. He was engaged in farming prior to his election, and was Township Trustee three years. Mr. Stanley is a native of Delaware County, South Wooster Township, N. Y.; born October 14, 1839. He removed to Illinois with his parents in 1845, to Knox County, Ill., which was his home until he came to Kansas. He enlisted in Company K, Ninth Illinois Cavalry, September 19, 1861, and served until October 20, 1865, participating in all the engagements of his command, and returning to Illinois at the close of his service. He is a member of the G. A. R. Mr. Stanley was married in Linn Township, Knox County, Ill., February 22, 1866, to Tacie S. Morgan, a native of Indiana. They have three children--John S., Blanche A. and Anna M.
MRS. S. H. STEVENS, teacher in Room No. 3, is a native of Scranton, Penn. She received her education at the Wyoming Seminary, in Luzerne County, and commenced teaching in Pennsylvania. In 1870, she came to Kansas and commenced teaching in the East Fort Scott school in 1875, and when the building burned, she came to the Central School, but returned as soon as the school in East Fort Scott was built again. She has been a widow since 1870. Her mother, Mrs. Hodgson, and two of her brothers, live in the southern part of Scott Township on the farm. Her children are with her--a son and two daughters.
JOHN G. STUART, came to Kansas July 1, 1857, was at Lawrence a short time and then located at Fort Scott, and took up a claim where he now lives on Section 36, Town of Scott, a portion being in the city of Fort Scott. He built the first wagon shop in Fort Scott in 1858, and continued in the trade until 1862, his shop being built of walnut which he cut on his farm. During the war he was engaged in contracting for the Government in the Quartermaster's Department, his last contract being to furnish 25,000 bushels of corn to the troops at Fort Scott at $2.35 per bushel. He held the office of Deputy United States Marshal for one year, from 1858, having been appointed to fill the position of John Little, and was contractor for the construction of the national cemetery wall, and also street improvements made in 1870 in Fort Scott. He has also dealt extensively in lands, having entered up 2,000 acres in Bourbon County at one time, and built and owned the brick block where Stadden's wholesale grocery is now located. He represented the Second Ward in the Common Council for six years, and was Mayor from 1873 to 1874. Mr. Stuart was born in Halifax, Nova Scotia, February 10, 1834, and went to Boston in 1851, remained there until 1856. He was married at Fort Scott in July, 1860, to Melissa Dillon, a native of Ohio. They have five children--Charles, John Elbert, Frank, Mary C. and Mabel C. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., having entered the first lodge at Fort Scott soon after its establishment.
JOHN J. STEWART, Deputy County Treasurer, came to Bourbon County January 13, 1856, and settled in what is now Mill Creek Township, engaging in farming and stock-raising, a business which he has continued up to the present time. He has represented his district in the Kansas Legislature three successive terms, from 1875-79. He served as Township Trustee for one year and has held the office of Deputy County Treasurer since October, 1880. He was born in Miller County, Mo., March 31, 1840, and lived in that State until he came to Kansas. July 27, 1861, he enlisted in Company A, Sixth Kansas Cavalry, and served until March, 1863. He then served for a time on the border as Captain of Company C, Bourbon County Battalion, a company which he himself raised. He was married in Mill Creek Township, in February, 1860, to Elizabeth J. Harbin, a native of Indiana, who came to Kansas with her parents in 1857. She is a daughter of Calvin Harbin, Miami County, Ind. They have three children--Melissa J., Sophronia Grant, and Emma. Mr. Stewart is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and of the A., F. & A. M.
WILLIAM STURM, sewing machines and organs, native of Peoria, Ill., born May 6, 1835. From here he went, in 1853, to Clayton County, Iowa, and went into Lewis Sturm's sawmill, where he remained till 1860, then going West to Denver, Colo., and on to Russell's Gulch, then to Lake Gulch,, where he kept store; returning to Clayton County, Iowa, in 1861, and built a grist mill in which he owned one-quarter, father, one-quarter, and W. D. G. Eastman one-half. Before it was finished his grandfather bought Eastman's interest, so the firm was Lewis, Nicholas & William Sturm; the mill and farm was called Sturm's mill and farm. They run this till 1866, and sold to John Carty. He then went to Colorado City and opened a store; sold this, making about $1,000; he returned to Clayton County; here he bought a water-power, built a sawmill and sold to his partner, H. C. Beman. This was in 1868; he then bought an interest in a grist mill and farm with W. B. Grant, and sold again, coming to Fort Scott in 1873, when he established his present business, acting as sub-agent for the Singer Sewing Machine Company, under S. E. Hatfield, but in 1874 he took a general agency till 1875; he then worked in connection with Mr. Anthony till 1879, when he enlarged his business, carrying the Whitney & Holmes, Estey and Camp and Haynes organs and list of pianos. Mr. Sturm is a man of strong convictions, being an earnest advocate of the temperance principles, and he was one of the Council when the compromise of indebtedness was effected. He married Miss Wolf, daughter of Thomas Wolf. They have three children--two sons and one daughter. Mr. Sturm is a member of the I. O. O. F., and of the Royal Templars of Temperance.
H. SWANK, proprietor of the Fort Scott Carriage Works, established by him in 1870. In 1874, the factory was bought by A. L. Gangwer, D. B. Burger and J. J. Henry. In March, 1882, C. W. Flickinger sic and J. A. Miller entered the firm. Mr. D. B. Burger is a native of Allentown, Lehigh Co., Penn., born in 1848; learned the trade of carriage painting, in the Neff Factory in 1857; went to work for Foltz & Ganze in Peoria, Ill., and in 1870 came to Fort Scott and worked for H. Swank, an uncle, and in 1874 took an interest in the business, when his uncle died. He is not married, belongs to the Knights of Honor and the Red Men. Mr. A. L. Gangwer is a native of the same county and State; was born in 1839; his parents going to Ohio in 1854, where he learned the trade of wood-worker with Wenner & Moore, of Tiffin, Ohio. In 1860, he went to Michigan, and has been in other States. At Napoleon, Ohio, he built a large factory. He came here to Fort Scott in 1874, and entered the firm in 1874. Mr. J. J. Henry is a native of New York; was born in 1846; learned his trade of ironworker of Shepard & Titus in 1865; then going to Toledo, Ohio, and then to Leavenworth in 1871. He then went South to Vicksburg and New Orleans, and then back to Kansas City, and here in 1872, and worked for Swank. He married Miss Brown. They have a family of two children. He belongs to the I. O. O. F. and Red Men. C. W. Flickenger sic is a native of Mahoning County, Ohio; was born in 1855; he learned his trade in Canfield, Ohio, with N. Swank, in 1873, going to Fostoria, Ohio, then to Indiana and here in 1874. He visited Colorado, and returned in 1880, entering the firm in March, 1882. Belongs to the Red Men. J. A. Miller is a native of Lehigh County, Penn., born in 1847; he learned the trade of woodworker with Snyder & Hendricks, and came to Fort Scott in 1876; worked for the company until March, 1882, when he became one of the firm. In 1874, he married Miss German. They have a family of three children. He is a member of the Red Men.
VAN RENSSELAER W. SUNDERLIN, M. D., came to Fort Scott January 28, 1868, and has been engaged in practice here ever since his arrival, with the exception of part of the years 1873-74 spent in Lawrence, and one and a half years spent in Eureka Springs, Ark., in 1880-81. He was born in Dundee, Yates County, N. Y., September 28, 1826, and received a common school education in his native country. He received his medical education at the Union Homeopathic Medical College in New York, and commenced practice in 1850, in his native county. In 1855, he removed to Pewamo, Mich., and that was his home until 1867, with the exception of two years spent in Cincinnati, Ohio. In 1861, he organized Company F, Thirteenth Michigan Volunteer Infantry, and was commissioned Captain of the company. He served one year in Gen. Garfield's Brigade of Wood's Division, in the Army of the Cumberland, and was commissioned Major of the regiment, but his health failed him, so that he was obliged to resign before he was mustered in as Major. He then returned to Michigan, and remained there until 1867, going to Chicago in that year and engaging in practice for one year before going to Kansas. He was married to his present wife, Julia Banister, a native of Allegany County, N. Y., at St. John's, Michigan, January 31, 1867. He has two children by a former marriage--Eugene A., now cashier of the Lowell National Bank, Michigan, and Lorenzo D., a physician at Pewamo, Mich. Dr. Sunderlin is a member of the Homeopathic Medical Society of Kansas and was President of that organization in 1879.
T. W. TALLMAN, farmer, Section 29, was born in New Jersey in 1827. He was raised on a farm, and remained there until sixteen or seventeen years of age, then starting in life, he tried a variety of trades, but gave most of his attention to horses, handling them in Cincinnati, Peoria and then in Iowa. He came to Kansas in April, 1857, leaving Ohio when the frost was in the ground some inches. He was delighted, on arriving in Kansas, to find the grass growing, making good feed for stock, and though not intending to farm, he went on a claim of 160 acres, which he increased to 300, but has sold all but 115. Mr. Tallman has taken quite a prominent place in official life of the county, being one of the first Commissioners of the county. He was appointed in 1858, by the Governor, having held it since for a number of years, and was Chairman most of the time from 1870 to 1874. He was Sheriff of the county, and in 1878 he was elected to the State Legislature. Returning to his farm, he at once assumed agricultural pursuits which he has carried on since coming to the State, his family living on the farm since they first settled there. He has improved the farm and has many fine buildings on it, and a large and commodious residence, which he has just been improving. He has been a member of the I. O. O. F. for thirty-four years, and in politics a Democrat. They have five children, two daughters at home and one daughter married; two boys, one in Colorado and one in Kansas City.
MRS. J. M. TERRY, proprietress of the Terry Bus Company, is a native of Massachusetts. Married Mr. J. M. Terry in Putnam, Ohio, in 1855. He was born in Leroy, N. Y., October 9, 1828, and died in 1877. They have a family of six children. Mrs. Terry now carries on the bus line in Fort Scott, which is part of the enterprise established by Mr. Terry, who was one of the early stage men of Kansas with his brothers, William D. and Col. L. G. Terry, and was connected with them in the Kansas Stage Company and also in what was known as Southwestern Stage Company. His experiences on those frontier routes would fill a volume. The personal risks at times were perilous; his labors in Kansas as a pioneer of traffic, is of marked value. Mr. J. M. Terry was the first Mayor of Fort Scott who was elected on the temperance ticket. The bus line now consists of two buses and one hack under Mrs. Terry's management.
MISS VIRGIE THOMPSON, teacher in Room 3 Central School, is a native of Iola, Allen Co., Kansas; born and bred in the State; she also received her education here. When quite young she went to Missouri; while here her father died. In 1876 she returned to the State, and attended school under Mrs. Rhodes' instruction, and afterward with Mr. Mathews, finishing with the Normal course in the Fort Scott High School, graduating under Mr. Hudson in the class of 1880, the members being Belle Moulton, Ella Sargeant, Josie Walters, Kittie Wilson, Jennie Phenisie, Addie Gardiner, Anna B. Nellie and Fry and herself. In 1879, she received a certificate, and has taught since in the city, giving her attention to primary work. Miss Thompson, mother and brother Charlie are living in the city while she teaches; her brother is employed on the railroad, as is another brother, William.
A. THRONDSON, proprietor of the New York House, a native of Norway, born in 1848. While there, he learned the tanner's trade, and worked at it till coming to America in 1870. Having a brother in Chicago, he stopped there three months, then came to Fort Scott, Kan., in 1872, where he went into the saloon business in connection with a grocery, but closed out and opened the New York House, in 1877, having a hotel of twenty rooms, and doing a good business. In 1876, he married Miss C. Wilks, of Fort Scott. They had one child, now deceased. Mr. Throndson is by faith a Lutheran.
H. TRECHTER, manufacturer of soda water, sarsaparilla and ginger ale, Market street; native of Germany, was born in 1852. He came to America in 1864, at once coming to Kansas, where he arrived in 1865, and went into the beer brewery, working there till it closed up, then going into his present business in 1882. In 1873, he married Miss Ahrens, of Fort Scott. They have three children, and he belongs to the Knights of Pythias.
S. P. TRESSLAR, photographer, Nos. 108 and 110 Market street. Born in Johnson County, Ind., in 1843. Commenced the photographic business at Franklin, Ind., in 1864, located in Fort Scott in 1872. His gallery covers 3,000 square feet, and is the best arranged gallery in Kansas, and the only one west of St. Louis where life-sized portraits are made direct from the sitter.
JOHN C. UMSTED, farmer, Section 2, is the eldest son of L. H. Umsted, who is a native of Ohio, and who came with his family to Kansas in 1866. He is known to be one of the best farmers of this section, not having lost a crop since coming here, and during the bad seasons succeeded in reaping good harvests; in the dry year of 1874, he raised wheat that ran forty-three bushels and one peck to an acre, and this year will have a wonderful crop of corn that will average sixty bushels to the acre; his sons promise to be as good farmers. His family consists of eight children--John C., Etta, Mary, Albert, Louis, Owen, Lillie and Clifton. John C. is also a teacher, having taught school for the past five years, and having taken the scientific course in the Kansas Normal School at Fort Scott.
JOSIAH C. URY, railroad contractor, came to Kansas with his father, Lewis L. Ury, in July, 1858, and settled on "Buck Run," Dry Wood Township, on what was known as the "Neutral Strip." This was his home until he entered the army as a Government scout and spy. He served in that capacity in Missouri, Arkansas, Kansas and Texas during almost the entire period of the war, under different generals, most of the time under Gens. Blunt, Curtis and Henning. During the Price raid he was for thirty days Major of the Fourteenth Kansas Militia. He had been through to Springfield, Mo., for prisoners in May, 1864, and on his return stopped overnight with his parents. While there he was attacked and captured by a band of bushwhackers, eighty-two strong, commanded by Taylor, but escaped through strategy the same night. He was born near Fairfield, Fairfield Co., Ohio, October 15, 1842, but when one year old removed with his parents to Morgan County, Ind., where he lived until he went to Warren Co., Ill., about twelve years prior to coming to Kansas. After the war, engaged in the lumbering business, running a saw mill until 1867, since which he has been engaged in railroad contracting, making a specialty of grading contracts. He was first married at Fort Scott in the fall of 1865, to Jennie Vincent, who died in the winter of 1872, leaving one child, Maudy. He was married to his present wife, Nettie Brough, a native of Kentucky, at Bowensburg, Hancock Co., Ill., in November, 1879.