|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (RADELL - SHINN).
G. J. RADELL, agent for the Adams Express Company, a native of Lewis County, N.Y., was born in 1846. He received his early education at home, and entered the commercial line as traveling agent, visiting different sections till 1880, when he came to Fort Scott to take charge of the office here. The Adams occupy all the roads running into Fort Scott.
MRS. J. M. REYNOLDS, widow of Mr. James M. Reynolds, was born in Maryland and met her husband in Mississippi, where he owned a plantation; they were married in 1859. He lost most of his property in the war. Coming to Fort Scott in 1870 on a visit, he finally moved here in 1872, buying property and building. In 1879, he died leaving his wife with a family of three children, and considerable property. Mrs. Reynolds is a member of the Episcopal Church.
JOHN HOLT RICE, editor of the Fort Scott Monitor, was born November 14, 1824, in Greene County, East Tennessee. His father, David Rice, was a Virginian, and the youngest brother of Dr. John H. Rice, founder of Andover Theological College, Virginia. David Rice was a respectable Tennessee farmer, and was elected at twenty-six successive biennial elections, surveyor of Green County, on the Federal and Whig tickets, notwithstanding Greene County on the general ticket was overwhelmingly Democratic. John Holt Rice was named after his uncle, Dr. John H. Rice. His mother's maiden name was Jane Doak. She was a daughter of Rev. Samuel Doak, founder of Washington College, Washington County, Tenn. Rev. Samuel Doak was a noted educator and Presbyterian divine. John H. Rice received his education at Tusculum College in his native county, which college at the time was under the Presidency of his uncle, Dr. Samuel W. Doak. He was a law student with Samuel M. Milligan, and was admitted to the bar in February, 1845. In May following he moved to Georgia, and located in Cassville, Cass County, practicing law until 1858. On the 1st of January, 1856, he was elected Major General of the Twelfth Division, Georgia State Militia, as the Union candidate by a majority of 1,772 over Col. E. M. Gault, ultra Southern rights candidate. In 1855, he became editor of the Cassville Standard, and conducted it as a staunch Union paper. In 1857, he removed to Rome, Ga., and soon afterward to Atlanta, where he established Franklin Printing House, which under his direction became an extensive book publishing establishment, but which was broken up at the outbreak of the Civil War. In 1861, he was attacked by paralysis, and was confined to his bed four years. In May, 1865, he was appointed purchasing agent for the Union cavalry forces, under command of Maj. Gen. Wilson, and afterward under Brig. Gen. Croxton, to whom the command of the cavalry forces was turned over by Gen. Wilson. Gen. Rice was thus engaged until about August 1, 1865, during which time he purchased hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of forage and provisions, which he shipped to Macon, Ga., together with large quantities of corn and bacon that had belonged to the Confederate Government before it became defunct. In the fall of 1865, Gen. Rice, on account of his large family of boys, left the piney woods of Georgia, for the boundless, open prairies of the West. After remaining a few weeks in Westport, Mo., he moved to Cass County in November, and was here engaged in one of the warmest political contests ever waged, growing out of the enforcement of the "Drake Code." In 1867, he moved into Miami County, Kan., settling on a farm on Pony Creek. On the 22nd of June, 1872, he was again prostrated by paralysis, and was this time confined to his bed for two years. In the fall of 1874, finding himself permanently disabled, he moved to Paola, and on the 20th of March, 1875, purchased one-half interest in the Miami Republican, and in June, 1877, the other half. The paper was conducted by himself and his sons until July 26, 1880, when he sold it to Leslie J. Perry, its present proprietor. Gen. Rice purchased the Republican when it was at a very low ebb of prosperity, and built it up from almost nothing to a prosperous Republican paper with a circulation of over two thousand, and sold it at a very large advance over the purchase price. Upon selling the Miami Republican in 1880, he purchased the Fort Scott Monitor, which he has since conducted. In the management of this paper he has associated with him his three sons: William M. Rice who is managing editor; R. P. Rice, business manager of job printing and book-binding, and H. V. Rice, general traveling agent. Gen. Rice became a Mason in 1849. Politically, he was always a Democrat, until the breaking out of the rebellion, casting his last Democratic vote in 1860, for Stephen A. Douglas, for President. He was always opposed to secession, believing and teaching that that was the South's sure road to ruin. Gen. Rice has a strong and positive character, believing firmly what he believes, and defending his faith with all his strength; and is a tower of strength to the cause which he espouses. For several years during his residence in Kansas he has taken a leading part in politics, on the Republican side, and the contest just closed, terminating in the election of Hon. George W. Glick as Governor of the State, it is generally conceded that his efforts saved the Bourbon County ticket from defeat. Gen. Rice was married, December 1, 1847, to Miss Nancy Russell, a native of South Carolina. They have had ten children, six boys and four girls. Five of the boys and two of the girls are still living. His oldest child, William M. Rice, was born in December, 1848.
REV. J. A. RICHARDS, Evangelist Wesleyan Methodist minister, a native of Canada, was born in Compton in 1826. He commenced studying for the ministry in 1844, and took his first charge in 1849 as a member of the Wisconsin conference, where he labored six years, and then in 1861 returned to Canada, remaining until 1862, when he went to Washington and entered the Mount Pleasant hospital as assistant surgeon. In 1864, he entered into business, and in 187 he moved to Girard, Kansas, and became connected with the Kansas conference, his first charge being four miles from Fort Scott, and in March 7, 1877, he commenced holding service in J. Moreley's hall, and on the 12th day of July, 1879, they moved into the church they now occupy, costing $2,100, and paid for it in 1880. Mr. Richards was succeeded by Rev. L. S. Cooper, and in October, 1881, by Rev. G. L. Shepardson. The present pastor, Rev. K. M. Fisk, took the charge in October, 1882. While Mr. Richards was there there were 100 members in the church, and in 1877 they organized a Sabbath school, having to begin with 60 scholars, and increased to 165. it has been a complete success. He married Miss S. A. Olds, July 3, 1869, of Little Prairie, Walworth Co., Wis. They were married by Rev. T. G. Colton, pastor of the Congregational Church; they have one son. Mr. Richards wants to say that the Wesleyan Church was always opposed to slavery, as it was always in favor of the equal rights of all men before the law. Also, the church is opposed to all organized "secret societies;" is in favor of the Bible in our public schools; is in favor of temperance and "prohibition." That ours is a Christian Government, and that we should recognize God, as the author of all just law, and "Jesus Christ" as King of kings, and that all men should fear God, and live holy lives.
HENRY RICHARDSON, of the firm of Odgers & Richardson, carpenters, architects and builders, was born in Wigdon, Cumberland, England, April 16, 1848; he learned his trade at New Castle on the Tyne; he then came to America in 1872, and located in New York City, where he remained till 1879, when he went to St. Louis, and then came to Fort Scott, Kan., in 1880, and entered into partnership with S. Odgers, making a specialty of stair building.
M. RILEY, retired, was born in County Mayo, Ireland, in 1832. In 1850, he emigrated to America, landing in New Orleans; here he remained working on the steamers of the Lower Mississippi and Mississippi Rivers until the war broke out, when he was captured, but succeeded in getting away from his captors at Cairo, and went the St. Louis, from there going to the mountains of Montana and Wyoming, where he succeeded in making a little money, arriving in Fort Scott in 1869, and opened a private boarding house at the corner of Jones and Locust streets, the only place he could get. In 1870, he bought land of Col. H. T. Wilson, and built his residence, 22x45, wing 22x20, where he also built in 180-71 a tenement house 20x30, wing 20x20, then bought lots of Shears and built a 30x20 and raised sic the old one in 1873, built one 18x22, wing 18x20, and this season one on the corner of Oak and Barbie streets 22x30, wing 14x16, the improvements will amount to $8,000. Mr. Riley married Miss Welch of Iowa; they have one daughter and a boy, the son of his brother whom Mr. Riley brought from Ireland after his last visit to the old country.
WILLIAM ROBBINS, of the firm of W. H. Henry & Co., grain and agricultural implements, is a native of Illinois, born in 1859 in Waukegan. He attended school in Bloomington, but intending to be a druggist he commenced studying with A. O. Ingalls, in his pharmacy; he was with him in 1876-77, then going into the Merchants National Bank, Fort Scott, as assistant book-keeper, and finally entered the firm of W. H. Henry & Co., now doing a business of $100,000 per annum. William's father has collected some wealth in California, and married Miss Fraser, coming to Fort Scott in 1869; he has not engaged in any business since. He is well thought of. He is a member of the K. of T. organization.
J. P. ROBENS, proprietor of the West End Grocery and China Emporium, Fort Scott, Kan., he was a native of Northumberland, Saratoga Co., N.Y., born in February, 1840. In 1862 he enlisted in the Seventy-seventh "Bemis Heights" regiment New York Volunteers as a private, was transferred and promoted to the rank of First Lieutenant Company E, One Hundred and Seventy-sixth New York Volunteers, better known as the "Ironsides" regiment; was with Banks in the "Gulf Department," was captured at Brashear City in June, 1863, taken to Tyler, Texas, was exchanged July, 1864. Was married in 1866 Miss Labor of Lockport, N.Y., moved to Missouri in 1868, and to Fort Scott in 1870, embarking in the grocery business. By diligence and enterprise his business has grown into large proportions. He carries a stock of $10,000 to $12,000, and has a yearly trade of over $30,000. Mr. Robens has been in the city council for a number of years, and is at the present time Treasurer of the Board of Education for the city. It was largely through his efforts that the compromising of the city indebtedness was secured on a basis at once honorable to the city and to her creditors. In all matters relating to public enterprise he is liberal and enthusiastic.
G. B. ROBINSON, livery and sale stable, is a native of New York, and has always dealt in horses. During his stay in Montreal, Canada, he learned the profession of veterinary surgeon, getting his diploma in 1854; he then moved to Chicago, and afterwards to St. Louis; he then went up into Iowa and located at Council Bluffs, where he remained for twelve years handling the best of horses. In 1871 he sold the "King of the turf" to Judge Ford for $6,200. He came to Kansas in 1878 and brought with him twenty-eight head of horses, stopping at Fort Scott, where he first boarded his horses at Morely's stable. In 1880, put up the stable he now occupies, having fine brood mares in stock, and fast steppers of Bashaw, Hambletonian and Tom Hyar blood. Mr. Robinson has a family of ten children.
T. F. ROBLEY, Postmaster, came to Kansas in April, 1859; his first location was in Linn County, and he remained there until the outbreak of the war. In November, 1861, he enlisted as a private in Company H, Fifth Kansas Cavalry, and served until December, 1864, being mustered out as Sergeant Major of the regiment. After leaving the army he spent a few months in Iowa, and in April, 1865, located at Fort Scott. He was engaged in the real estate business three years and then in the milling business for a somewhat longer period of time, and in March, 1875, was appointed to his present position of Postmaster. He was a member of the Legislature from 1873-74. Mr. Robley is a native of Greene County, Ill., born near Whitehall November 9, 1839. When nine years of age he moved to Appanoose, Iowa, and made that his home until he came to Kansas. He was married in Fort Scott, December 24, 1877, to Fannie W. Wilson, a native of that place.
J. RODECKER, of the firm of Rodecker & Cohn, clothing and gents' furnishing goods, north Main street, is a native of New York City, and was born in 1841. He commenced working for Levy Brothers & Company, New York, and came to Leavenworth, Kan., 1863, where he continued in their employ until coming to Fort Scott in 1866. He established a clothing house here in October of that year; the firm was Rodecker & Cohn; they occupied the Roach building from 1866 to 1873, then moving into the Blackett building, where they had not been long, he was burned out and he moved into the store called the Salamander, because the only two stores left after the fire of 1873, were burned, leaving his alone. He then bought the building he now occupies, of William Hack, and moved in in 1877. He has now 66 feet frontage and 80 feet deep. In 1872, he married Miss Loewen. They have three boys. Mr. Rodecker is a member of the School Board.
J. C. RODGERS, of the firm of Rodgers & Larrimer, proprietors of Knox Hotel, is a native of Adair County, Ky., born in 1822. He came to Kansas in 1871, and located on a farm three miles west of Marmaton,, where he was engaged in farming up to the time he came to Fort Scott and took the Knox House. In 1861, he enlisted in the Fiftieth Illinois Infantry, as private; was promoted to Orderly Sergeant, and then to Second Lieutenant; he then resigned. He enlisted in the Twelfth Illinois Cavalry, and in 1864 was promoted to Second Lieutenant. In 1865, promoted to First Lieutenant; May 15 he was mustered out at Houston, Tex., and went home to Illinois, where he engaged in farming in Hancock County. He is married, but has no children living. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, also belongs to the G. A. R.
A. F. ROTHFUSS, cigar manufacturer, came to Kansas in 1871, and has been engaged in his present business since that time. In business for himself the last nine years. When he commenced he and his brother were in partnership and did all the work themselves, but four years later his brother retired from the partnership, and Mr. Rothfuss has since been alone in the business. He now employs twenty hands, and is proprietor of the largest cigar factory in Kansas. He manufactures the famous La Creme brand of Havana cigars, as well as the Diamond R, Coral and Who's Been Here brands. In 1881, he manufactured 850,000 cigars. Mr. R. was born in Germany April 2, 1849, and came to this country with his parents in 1853, and settled in Cincinnati, Ohio, making that his home for sixteen years. He has been employed in the manufacture of cigars since he was eleven years of age. He was married in Fort Scott, September 2, 1875, to Hulda Blasch, a native of Chicago. They have two children--Matilda and Albert. Mr. R. is a member of the I. O. O. F. and the K. of H.
H. E. RUSSELL, Section 6, is a native of Ellington, Conn., born in October, 1833. At the age of seventeen, he went into the employ of an Eastern railroad, and has continued in the business now for some thirty years, working in the machine department for fifteen years, and as conductor on the Chicago & Alton Railroad for fifteen years. In 1876, he purchased of K. W. Shedd the seventy-acre piece on which he now lives, which he has improved putting up a fine residence in 1879, and large stone barn, 44x28, with an addition. His farming consists of grain and fruits. In 1874 he married and now has two children.
JAMES H. SALLEE, attorney at law, came to Fort Scott, June 14, 1873. He was admitted to the bar at Dixon, Ill., prior to coming to Fort Scott, but commenced practice here. From February, 1876, to April, 1881, he was in partnership with J. D. Hill, but has been alone in his practice the rest of the time. Mr. Sallee was a member of the Kansas House of Representatives during the session of 1879, and has held the office of City Attorney for the last three years. He was born in Georgetown, Ohio, August 2, 1848, and lived there until October, 1861, when he came to Fulton, Ill. He prosecuted the study of law with Eustace Barge and Dixon, at Dixon, Ill., from 1870 to 1873. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge and Chapter. He was married at Pensaukee, Wis., June 10, 1874, to Harriet M. Neff, a native of Ligonier, Noble Co., Ind. They have three children--Helen D., Josephine N. and Harriet.
L. S. SANGER, M. D., is a native of Hampden, Penobscot Co., Maine, was born in 1828, December 2. His career may be said to have commenced when he attended the Hampden Academy and studied medicine with his father, Dr. I. S. Sanger. In 1848, he graduated from Bowdoin Medical College, then taking a trip to Indiana, he visited his cousin, Dr. William A. Sanger, of Lima, Lagrange Co. The death of his father recalled him home. He started from New England for a trip on the ocean, and while at the Sandwich Islands was in charge of the United States Hospital, and on his voyage to foreign lands he experienced many wonderful things. In 1858 he was traveling, being away seven years, he saw all the sights of the old world, and combined business with pleasure by taking every opportunity to enlarge his already large stock of medical lore. On returning, he visited his New England home, and then turned West, locating in Earlville, La Salle Co., Ill., where he remained till 1868, when he came to Fort Scott, and entered the profession here, where he has a fine practice. In 1862, July 22, he married Mrs. Jane Larkin, of La Salle County, Ill. They have no children. Mrs. Sanger by a former marriage had three, Edgar, Warren and Emma L. The last having married Mr. Lean, taught music and practiced photography; her mother learning the latter art of her, is at present engaged in the business. Dr. Sanger is a direct descendant from the old Puritan stock of New England; his grandfather, David Sanger, was one of the early settlers of New Hampshire, and his father, Increase Sumner, Sanger, was a celebrated physician. The doctor has a host of relatives in the East, and a number in Illinois, all of more or less note. The doctor has never taken any public office, but has always taken a stand in the Democratic ranks. He is liberal in his religious belief, saying that to do right because it is right, without fear of hell or hope of heaven, is his creed.
D. E. SAUNDERS, Principal of the Kansas Normal College, is a graduate of the National Normal University, of Lebanon, Ohio, graduating in the summer of 1876, and coming to Kansas in 1877. He has been employed in the Nebraska Normal Institute, and since 1879 in the college here, which, by his individual efforts, he has built up and made one of the most popular institutions of learning in the State.
CHARLES T. SAXE was born in Portage County, Ohio, November 21, 1849, and lived in Ohio until he graduated from Buchtel College, Akron, Ohio, in 1873, being in the first graduating class of the college. He served in Company E, One Hundred and Thirty-fifth Indiana Volunteer Infantry for four months in 1864, and is a member of Crane Post, No. 77, G. A. R. In 1873, he went West, and was engaged in mining for three years in Nevada and three years in the pottery business in California. He then returned to Missouri, and located at Deerfield, where he was engaged in the stone ware manufacture with his brother, F. M. Saxe, for two years. They then came to Fort Scott, and opened the pottery and tile works, commencing in June, 1882. He was married at Nevada, Mo., April 27, 1881, to Pierre Elizabeth Harrison, a native of Carroll County, Mo. They have one child, an infant daughter. Mr. Saxe is a member of his college society, of the Miners' Union, and the Order of the American Union.
J. B. SAXE, minister, a native of Saratoga, N. Y., born in 1819. He is of German descent. His grandfather was a Hessian soldier, who left the English and fought for the Republic under Gen. Washington during the Revolution. In 1838, Mr. Saxe began studying for the ministry, and attended the Clinton Liberal Institute, of Oneida County, N. Y. He was ordained in 1843, in Jefferson County, N. Y. He moved to Vinton County, Iowa, where he labored in the ministry, and on coming to Kansas in 1869, came to fill the pulpit of the Universalist organization. At the same time he bought twenty acres of land in Section 7, and gave his attention to horticulture. He yet holds a pulpit in the county. He married, but lost his wife, and now has a family of three daughters, Mary C., Eva L., a teacher, and Nettie G. Mr. Saxe is having quite a success in fruit raising, preferring White Sap and Ben Davis for apples, Duchess and Bartlett for pears, and Concord for grapes.
CHRISTOPHER SCHULTZ, confectionery and bakery, born in Berlin, Germany, in 1831. He there learned the confectionery business, and came to America in 1865, landing in New York. He then went to Cincinnati and opened a bakery; he made money and went to visit his fatherland. He returned and located in Chicago, but was burned out and lost about $10,000. He then went to St. Louis and from there to Fort Scott in 1871. Here he worked for Miller for awhile, then started for himself. In 1874, he married Miss Coats, of Fort Scott. They have a family of three children. His son, Herman, a child by his first wife, after a thorough education, went into the Turkish army, and is now a General, being only twenty-five years of age. Mr. Schultz belongs to the Turnverein.
FREDERICK SCHULTZ, brewer. He is a native of Germany, was born in 1833, emigrating to America in 1851. He landed in New York and came at once to Milwaukee, where he remained until 1856, when he moved to Iowa, staying until 1869, when he came to Fort Scott and erected the brewery here, the firm being Schultz & Blasch. In 1875 or 1876, the present firm was established, Schultz & Hazelmeyer. They have not brewed any since the prohibition enactment. Besides the brewery, he has a fine residence. His family consists of himself, wife and two children--girls.
L. K. SCOFIELD, proprietor of the Fort Scott Gas Works, was born near Albany, N. Y. In 1849, he established the New Canaan Nurseries, at New Canaan, Conn. In 1854, he came to Elgin, Ill., entering extensively into the nursery business at that place. In 1867, he purchased the gas works at Freeport, Ill., and the following year, established the Commercial Nurseries there, supervising the business up to 1879. He was for several years President of the Northern Illinois Horticultural Society and Acting President of the State Horticultural Society, and for a number of years a member of the State Board of Horticulture, and one of the organizers of the National Association of Nurserymen. In September, 1880, he went into the stock raising business, opening a stock ranch in St. Clair County, Mo., where he owns and operates large farming and grazing interests. On the 1st of January, 1882, he purchased the lease of the Fort Scott gas works of J. W. Pinkston, and contracted for the purchase of the same from James M. Nelson, their owner.
MISS ADDIE SCOTHORN, teacher in Room 2, Central School, is a native of Findlay, Hancock County, Ohio. In 1870, moved to Fort Scott when only five years of age. She has acquired her education in the schools of Fort Scott, when they were not in session attending select schools. She has been especially associated with Miss Hoxie, attending her select school as pupil, and later as assistant teacher, also attending the select school of Prof. Hudson. She has from the first intended to be a teacher, and is now fairly embarked in her chosen profession, teaching at present in Room 2.
DAVID SEEVER, SR., farmer, is a native of Chambersburg, Franklin Co., Penn., born in 1810. His eldest brother, Abraham, was in the war of 1812. There were ten more in his father's family, of which he was the youngest. During his early manhood he learned milling and also the thorough system of farming used in Pennsylvania. In 1831, he married Miss Helen, of Chambersburg, and on account of his failing health they moved to Indiana onto a farm, where he remained till 1857, when he emigrated to Kansas, locating on Section 28, and took 320 acres, some of it laying in Section 27. Erecting a log house, they lived in it till it was destroyed by lightning. They then built the stone one now used. Of war reminiscences, Mr. Seever has seen a great deal, being here at the time John Little was killed by Montgomery's men, and in 1861, he was at home on his farm, when Gen. Price came along and captured him, taking him to Lexington, Mo., together with his son William and Mr. Chapman. He was set at liberty in some twenty-two days afterward, and made his way home again, having passed through these perilous times. He is now enjoying a time of peace and the promise of a most bountiful harvest for the year 1882. In 1878, he was elected Township Treasurer and has held it since, having been Township Clerk and school officer from time to time. His family numbered twelve, two of whom are deceased. His son John, who is now at home, was a member of the brave Sixth Kansas Regiment. They farm about 200 acres now.
MISS M. J. SERGENT, teacher in Room 1, Central School, is a native of Southern Michigan. She moved to Lake Station, Ind., where she lived till she was fourteen years of age. Up to this time, she was getting her education from private tutors. On returning to her old home in Dover, she taught her first school, but her experience was of such a discouraging nature that she quit, we find her a postal clerk in St. Johns, Mich., soon after. In 1871, she came to Fort Scott, Kan., and went into the Central School as teacher of the Second Primary, now being Principal, and assisted by her sister Ella, who is also an artist. Miss Sergent has perfected her system of teaching by studying the best school systems in the country.
MRS. LORINDA M. SHIELDS, proprietress of the Commercial House, is a native of Pennsylvania. She went to Illinois in 1836, and lived there till 1851. She was married to Mr. McLeod in Chicago. When he died she went to St. Louis, where she lived till 1875. She met Mr. Shields in Fort Scott, and was married in 1877, Christmas eve. Mr. M. Shields, son of Dr. Shields, a native of New York, was born 1830, and learned the machinist's trade when a young man. He then went West, and erected and run sic quartz mills. Making money, he returned and visited his old home. From Fort Madison, Iowa, where his parents were, he went to Kansas, in company with Henry and George Winters. Soon after arriving in Fort Scott, he built the hotel at a cost of $7,000, and became the leader of several organizations, belonging to the I. O. O. F. and Masons. He died in 1881. She now conducts the house as the Commercial House.
GROSVENOR A. SHINN was born Lacon, Marshall Co., Ill., June 28, 1848. He came to Kansas in 1867 and started a nursery about one mile north of Fort Scott, in company with his father and younger brother. From a very small beginning, their business has grown to quite considerable proportions, and now gives employment to from thirty to fifty hands. He was married in Springfield, Mo., in September, 1873, to Ida M. Underwood, a native of Pike County, Ill. They have three children--John B., Grove Leslie and Nellie. Mr. Shinn is a member of the A., F. & A. M.