|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
The first settlement in Center Township was made by Caleb May, in October, 1854. He was President both of the Monrovia and Pardee town companies, being now a prominent citizen of Southern Kansas. Freeman Graham, who came with him, is dead. The town of Pardee was platted in the spring of 1857 by James Brewer, being named in honor of Pardee Butler. S. G. Moore, the first settler, located July 1, 1858. In the winter of 1857 Mr. Butler preached the first sermon in Pardee, the services being held in the school house, which had been completed during the previous fall and opened by James Brewer in December. In the fall of 1858 Mr. Butler located near the town. In August, 1855, the first postoffice in the township was established at Ocena, with William Crosby as postmaster. In 1858 it was removed to Pardee, and S. G. Moore appointed postmaster. The first town officers were: Pardee Butler, president; Milo Carlton, secretary; William J. May, treasurer; S. G. Moore, A. Elliott and W. Wakefield, trustees. Mr. Moore opened the first store in the town in 1858, and in 1874 Milo Carlton put a wind mill in operation.
Pardee is now a town of about 100 people, off the line of the railroad and therefore not growing, containing two stores and two churches. The Methodist Episcopal Church was established in the spring of 1868. It has now a membership of forty-six, being in charge of Rev. A. S. Embree. The Christian Church was organized by Rev. Pardee Butler before the town was platted. He is still its pastor, the membership of the society numbering about thirty. Pardee contains a good district school, and a private seminary or normal school, whose principal is Miss Mary J. Willis.
Near Pardee the Seventh Day Baptists have a strong church of over ninety members. It was first organized in August, 1863, its first pastor being Elder A. F. Randolph. After his death came Rev. S. R. Wheeler, who served the church for nearly fourteen years. He resigned in November, 1881, and since that time the church has been without a pastor. Services have been held in the school house, but a church edifice is now being erected.
Cummingsville, on the line of the A., T. & S. F. R. R., southwest of Atchison, in Center Township, was laid out in the fall of 1872, being named in honor of Wm. Cummings, a resident of the town. Robert Kennish, the first settler, upon the town site, located in November 1872, he being appointed postmaster when the office was established the next fall. He also opened the first store in December, 1872. In April, 1873, D. C. Harris and family located in Cummingsville, their child, Lorenzo, born August 24, 1874, being its first native. His was also the first death, March 25, 1875. The marriage of E. G. Hilton and Sarah W. Harris, July 8, 1878, was the first. In the winter of 1880-1881 R. C. Ripple taught the first school, the Methodist Church South building a church in 1880. The first sermon had been preached in the Odd Fellows' Hall by Rev. Mr. Cook in 1875. Cummingsville is now a town of about seventy people, is situated on a prairie in a valley, has several business houses and bids fair to grow into a still more thriving settlement.
Farmington is a small station, consisting of a few families, situated on the Central Branch. It has a district school, in which the services of the Christian Church are held. This church was organized by Pardee Butler in October, 1867. It is now in charge of Rev. Z. S. Hastings, who has been a resident of Farmington since 1875. The society numbers about thirty-five members. Among the earliest settlers in the vicinity of Farmington are the McBride brothers.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - CENTER TWP. (ACHENBACH - DONAHUE)
H. R. ACHENBACH, R. R. Agent and Postmaster, Farmington; one of the most genial and popular gentlemen on the line of the Central Branch. He is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Clinton County, December 5, 1844. He was reared and educated in his native State, graduating from the People's Commercial College at Reading. After leaving this college, he clerked in the Prothonotary and Register and Recorder's office at Lock Haven, Clinton Co., Pa. Then he went to Williamsport, where he was engaged in the confectionery and bakery business with his brother. His father, Hon. George A. Achenbach, is one of the leading citizens of Clinton County, and for a number of years has been prominently identified officially. We clip from the sketch-book of legislatures of Pennsylvania, in 1876, the following: "George A. Achenbach, Representative from Clinton County, is a gentleman of reputation on the Democratic side of the House. He was born in Columbia County, October 22, 1815, before the birth of the common schools, consequently was educated in the subscription schools, which were in vogue at that day. At twelve years of age he became a clerk in a store. In 1836, he moved to Sugar Valley, then in Center, but now in Clinton County, where he engaged in managing the mercantile interests of a furnace company. In 1860, he was elected to the Legislature from Clinton and Lycoming Counties, serving his constituents so satisfactorily that he was returned by a large majority. He was a Delegate to the Constitutional Convention, serving on some important committees. Mr. A. is very unassuming at his post of duty, and is emphatically a business legislator. He is a man stout built, but not corpulent, with gray hair, large head, and closely shaven face, his countenance indicating good nature. " H. R. resided in Pennsylvania until 1877, when he came West, arriving in Atchison County, July 6. He at once engaged in merchandising. In that capacity he was identified until the summer of 1881. During that time he took up the study of telegraphy, and was appointed railroad agent October 27, 1880. He had received his appointment as Postmaster, October 24, 1877. In both capacities he is eminently qualified, and without the radiant countenance of "Auchy," at the station, Farmington would have but few attractions. He was married June 24, 1869, to Miss Annie E. Ayers, a native of Chester County, Pa., an estimable lady. They have had four children - Mary E., Preston A., Harry S., and James P. Mr. A. is an Odd-Fellow, and in 1876 was District Deputy of Clinton County, Pa., organizing Salona Lodge, No. 937, June 24, 1876. He is also Master Mason.
SAMUEL ARTHUR, farmer, Section 23, P. O. Pardee, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Blair county, August 22, 1826. His father, Joseph Arthur, was a native of Bedford County, a farmer, and came to Illinois with his family in 1846, locating in McDonough County. Samuel followed canal-boating during his early days in Illinois, though his principal vocation was farming, which he adhered to until he came to Kansas, in 1871, locating where he now resides. His estate consists of 320 acres of choice land. Mr. A. is one of the most successful of agriculturalists, combining the practical with the theoretical. He was married in 1851, to Miss Sarah Hagerman, of Wayne County, Ohio. They have fourteen children - Elizabeth, Amanda, William, Flora, Ella, Charles, Adaline, Daniel, Isabelle, Cynthia, Josie, Walter, Joseph, Hattie, Herbert. Mr. and Mrs. A. and family are identified with the Methodist Episcopal Church.
GREGORY G. ASHE, farmer, Section 27, P. O. Pardee. A pioneer in Kansas, and one who has contributed more than an ample share toward the early development of Atchison County, is Mr. Gregory Ashe. He is a native of Ireland, and was born in the County Kerry, December 26, 1826. When twenty-two years of age, came to the United States. For several years he traveled, and resided temporarily in different parts of the country. The summer of 1855, came to Kansas, and pre-empted the 160 acres that is now his homestead. In 1858, went to St. Jo., Mo., residing until 1860, when he took up his permanent abode where he now resides. Being among the first inhabitants, he endured many privations and draw-backs. During the war he belonged to the State Militia, and was on duty at Kansas City during the trouble there. Mr. Ashe is an industrious, go-ahead citizen, and just the kind of a man to build up the reputation of a new country. He has been twice married, first in Ohio, to Miss Rachel A. Stanton; they have two children, Fred M. and Eugene; lost one - Frank. Mrs. Ashe, as far as can be ascertained, taught the first school in Center Township (in 1856). Her death occurred in Kansas. His present wife was formerly Annie C. Bechtel. By this marriage they have three children - Frank G., James W., and Edith M.
O. W. BABCOCK, stock raiser and dealer, P. O. Nortonville, well known as one of the prominent stockmen of eastern Kansas. He is a native of New York, and was born in Jefferson County, December 30, 1839; was there educated, reared, and resided until 1866, when he emigrated to Wisconsin, locating at Albion, Dane County, where, in company with Mr. O. Davis, they carried on general merchandising for several years. The spring of 1873, came to Kansas, locating where he now resides, himself and Mr. O. Davis purchasing a large tributary to Nortonville. Mr. Babcock is, in every sense of the word, a man who commands respect of his fellow-men. He was married in Allegany County, N. Y., to Miss Harriet A. Lamphear, of that county. Himself and wife are closely identified with the Seventh Day Baptist Church.
A. S. BEST, farmer and stockraiser, P. O. Monrovia, is one of the most substantial agriculturists of the county. He is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Clinton County, June 27, 1839, was reared and educated in his native State; his boyhood days being spent tilling the soil. The spring of 1860 his father, Mr. J. W. Best, with his family, including A. S., came to Kansas, locating in Center Township, Atchison County, the subject of this sketch taking and locating on his present homestead, where he erected a house and assiduously set to work to make a comfortable home and develop a farm. How well he has succeeded is known to those acquainted with him, as his farm, residence, orchard, etc., are in conformity with the name of the owner, "the Best. " Mr. B. has been closely identified with the growth and development of the county. During the war he was Captain of a Militia Company in Center Township. At present he discharges the duties of Township Clerk for Center Township. In 1860 Miss Mellinda Bricker, of Pennsylvania, became his wife. By this union they have four children - Ella R., Mary C., Emma, and John H.
LUCIUS H. BISHOP, farmer and stockraiser, Section 18, P. O. Monrovia. There are but few people within the boundary line of Atchison County more widely known as pioneers than L. H. Bishop. He is a native of Vermont; was born in Orange County, June 6, 1824. When young removed with his parents to Allegany County, N. Y. His father was a blacksmith by trade, and L. H., in his earlier days, assisted some at the forge. The spring of 1857 found him at Atchison, Kan., which at that time consisted of a few very diminutive buildings. He pre-empted some land, which is now embodied in his present estate, and built a log cabin which is intact, still standing adjacent to his residence. He was among the first farmers of this portion of the country, and as an agriculturist has been very successful. He has a fine farm in a high state of cultivation, and the surroundings indicate comfort. Mr. B. passed through all the difficulties subsequent to the first seekers of the new country, and the obstacles he had to encounter at that day and age were different from those generally incidental to a pioneer life. During the Rebellion he was in the Twelfth Kansas Militia Regiment, and participated in the engagement at Westport, Mo., where his horse was shot from under him. Mr. B. was a strong advocate for the abolition of slavery. At an early day was a member of the Board of Township Supervisors, and identified with the educational interests of District No. 6, of which he made the first report to the County Superintendent. He was married in New York in 1851 to Miss Betsy M. Wilson, an estimable lady. They have by this union four children - Frank W., Willie E., Sadie and Amelia, twins.
S. AUG. BUCH, farmer and carpenter, Section 26, P. O. Farmington. Is a native of Saxony, Germany, and was born May 2, 1832. Was reared, educated, and learned cabinet making trade in his native country. Came to the United States in July, 1869, arriving on the fourth, located in Pennsylvania, residing until 1871. Came to St. Joe, thence to Atchison County the same year. He devotes a great portion of his time to contracting and building; being a first-class mechanic has all the work he can attend to. Mr. B. has been twice married, first in Germany in 1861, to Miss Ernestine Otto. Her death occurred in 1871. Had three children - Margaretta, Dorotha, and Katherina. His present wife was formerly Miss Margretta Mack, of Wurtemberg, Germany. She was a widow at the time, her name being Smith. By her former husband she has two sons, Henry and Willie.
JOHN BURNS, farmer, P. O. Nortonville. This pioneer is a native of County Donegal, Ireland, and was born July 8, 1831. Was reared, educated, and resided in his native country until 1851; came to the United States, and for two years worked on a farm in Kentucky, after which for a few years he resided in different parts of the country engaged in various pursuits. In 1857 Kansas attracted his attention and in March of that year he pre-empted the 160 acres of land which is now his own, being one of the first settlers in that part of the country. He had many obstacles to meet at that early date which were only overcome by untiring industry. In 1862 he enlisted in Company K, Thirteenth Kansas Volunteer Infantry. He participated at the battle of Prairie Grove and other notable engagements of the war, serving three years when he was honorably discharged. Returned to Atchison County where he has since been a resident. His wife's maiden name was Miss Ann Quinn. By this marriage they have five children - Mary Grace, Annie, John F., Daniel, and an infant.
C. T. BUTIN, farmer, Section 7, P. O. Nortonville. This popular agriculturist is a native of New York, and was born in Rensselaer County, June 1, 1830. His father, Horace Butin, and mother, Annie Saunders, were natives of the Empire State. When quite young he moved to Allegany County, New York; then at eight years of age returned to Rensselaer County, where he was raised and educated. He was deprived of his father by death soon after their return. In 1857 he came to Kansas and bought a claim in Atchison County, being one of the pioneers of Center Township. He was closely identified with the early development of northeastern Kansas. He has a pleasant and attractive home, indicating comfort and prosperity. He is a close observer, a deep thinker, and has made a success as an agriculturist, by combining the practical with the theoretical. He was married March 22, 1862, to Miss Marie Cushman, an estimable lady. They have one daughter, Annie L., an accomplished young lady. Mr. Butin's mother came to Kansas, where she died in 1860. He has two sisters living within half a mile from him, Catherine E. Perry and Alma L. Maris, both well situated in life, and each the mother of three children - two boys and one girl. The family is identified with the Baptist Society of the Seventh Day denomination.
REV. PARDEE BUTLER, P. O. Farmington. Was born in 1816 in Onondago County, N. Y. His parents were from Connecticut. In 1819 they emigrated to the Connecticut Western reservation in northern Ohio. This was the only exclusively Puritan colony that was ever planted by the New England States, though they have furnished a predominating portion of the population of many of the western and northwestern States. The Western Reserve was an unbroken wilderness, and the settlers were proverbially poor, provided men can be called poor under any circumstances who have Yankee thrift, pluck, and intelligence. Mr. Butler remembers how his father, Phineas Butler, used to say that the only money he had for one year after coming to Ohio, was a quarter of a dollar, which he refused to spend, because he would not be wholly without money. Wheat would not bring twenty-five cents per bushel in Cleveland, but furs and pelts brought fair prices, and became a sort of legal tender; and so Phineas Butler became a noted hunter. There is yet preserved a local tradition how he and a brother hunter had a savage fight with a she bear, which they found in an alder swamp with her cubs one night when they were hunting raccoons. Frederick Brown, uncle to Ossawatomie, John Brown, lived in the same settlement, and under his impulse a Congregational Church and Sunday-school were organized in the log schoolhouse, which has followed soon after by a Debating Society, in which the subject of our sketch took his first lessons as a public speaker. Lyman Beecher's sermons on temperance, delivered in Litchfield, Conn., made on the Western Reserve a deep impression, and our young reformer took his first lessons at the hands of mobs by being pelted with eggs for delivering temperance lectures. At an early day he became identified with the anti-slavery movement. In the elections of 1844 he voted with the Liberty party for James J. Birney. A friend and a man of some position said to him: "Now Mr. Butler, you are just starting in life, and will you throw yourself away by voting with such an insignificant minority?" He replied, "My father was an old Henry Clay Whig, and I admire Mr. Clay very much, but I think a new party necessary and I shall vote for James G. Birney. " The Liberty party was the nest egg, out of which was hatched the Republican party. Alexander Campbell, and his father, Thomas Campbell, were Scotch Presbyterian ministers. Changing their views with regard to the action of baptism like Adoniram Judson, they became identified with the Baptists. They refused, however to adopt any sectarian name or any creed but the Bible, seeking thus the union of all Christians, and were therefore compelled, finally, to set up for themselves. Having many things in common with the New England Puritans, their views spread rapidly on the Western Reserve, and the subject of our sketch, together with his father and mother, became identified with this movement, and he spent thirty years of his life promulgating these views in the West, never, however, having forgotten his devotion to temperance and anti-slavery. He came to Kansas and settled in Atchison County, in the year 1855. His boldness in expressing his disapprobation of the measure of the pro-slavery party soon marked him out to the leaders of this party as a man too dangerous to be tolerated in the country, and on the 15th of August of the same year a mob seized him in the town of Atchison, and put him on a raft of two logs, and set him adrift on the Missouri River. They threatened that if he should return they would certainly hang him; and he replied, "Gentlemen, do your duty as you understand it, and I will do my duty as I understand it: I ask no favors of you. " In due time he returned. The next spring he was taken by a company of South Carolinians, and tarred and feathered, his life only having been saved by the interposition of Judge Tuft, of St. Joseph, Mo. He was married in 1843 to Miss Sibyl S. Carleton, also of the Western Reserve, who is now living. They have had seven children born to them, of whom three are now living. He has been a farmer for a life time, and his work as a preacher, anti-slavery and temperance lecturer, has been largely without charge. He has never had but one law suit. He prosecuted a man for petty larceny, and proved his charge; but the Justice dismissed the case and awarded the prosecutor with the costs. Among the many valuable lessons he has learned in this wicked world he regards this as one of the most valuable. And now, before he has attained the age allotted to men, he finds slavery forever abolished, and the dram-shops prohibited by constitutional provisions in the State. Meantime, there is a strong moral certainty that they will in like manner be ere long prohibited throughout the United States. A great advance has also been made toward the union of all Christians in one fold and under one Shepherd. Public integrity, private virtue, and good government have made encouraging progress; and the subject of this sketch feels, now as he is drawing near the end of a somewhat stormy and eventful life, that he has not wholly lived in vain.
MILO CARLTON, farmer, P. O. Pardee, is a native of Massachusetts, and was born in Franklin County, August 8, 1814. At an early age, came with parents to Ohio, his father, Joseph, being one of the early settlers of the Western Reserve, where Milo was reared and educated. He was a resident of the counties of Medina, Loraina and Ashland, and lived in one place, caused by changes of the lines. The Carltons are of English ancestry. His mother, Dolly Parmley, was a native of Vermont. In 1853, Mr. Carlton came to Kansas, locating in Center Township, being about the first in that vicinity. He was one of the company who was interested in starting and laying out the town of Pardee, and has figured prominently from that date to the present, doing all in his power for the best interests of the village. A few years ago, he built a flour mill which was to be operated by wind power. It proved rather a disastrous enterprise, owing to its being demolished by a storm. He has been closely associated with the educational interests of the community, and a few settlers are more favorably known. He was married in Massachusetts, to Miss Harriet Gate. Mr. and Mrs. Carlton, although advanced in years, are hale and hearty.
W. G. CARTER, farmer, Section 8, P. O. Lancaster. This genial and popular citizen is a native of Greenbrier County, Va., and was born May 20, 1847. In 1860, his father, W. P. Carter, Esq., emigrated with his family to Kansas, locating in Lancaster Township, the senior Carter being prominently identified with the growth and development of that township. W. G. was here educated and reared to manhood, his earlier days being spent in tilling the soil, and he has always adhered to that calling. He has a fine farm of 160 acres, ninety of which are under cultivation. He was married in 1871, to Miss Nannie Henderson of Atchison County. They have three children, Susie, Ida and Lillie.
R. N. CIRTIVILL, farmer, Section 8, P. O. Farmington, is a native of New York, and was born in Jefferson County, February 20, 1828. He was reared and educated in his native county, three miles from Sackett's Harbor. In 1850, he married Miss Susan Burns, a native of England. In 1864, enlisted in the One Hundred and Eighty-sixth New York Volunteer Infantry, Company I, serving ten months; was at the battle of Petersburg and the surrender of Gen. Lee. His son Burt was also in the same regiment, and was severely wounded at the battle of Petersburg. After the war, located in New York and resided until 1871; came to Kansas, locating where he now resides. Mr. C. has a fine farm, and is one of Atchison County's most progressive citizens. His son, Burt Cirtivell, is engaged in the livery business, in Effingham, Kan. He has an adopted daughter, Melvina Slack.
A. CUSHMAN. This venerable and popular gentleman is a native of Massachusetts, and was born in Plympton, seven miles from Plymouth Rock, November 28, 1796. His father, Ignatius, was also a native of Massachusetts, and his mother, Ruth Washburn, was a native of that State. The Cushmans are of English ancestry. Thomas Cushman came to America in the "Mayflower," and was married to Mary Allerton. From this union the Cushmans of the United States sprang. He was a minister of the Puritan denomination, and delivered the first sermon in the New England States. Deborah Standish, great grand-daughter of Miles Standish, was the great grandmother of the subject of this sketch. When he was quite young, he removed to the State of Maine with his parents, and for a number of years resided in the vicinity of Belfast, where, at a later day, he was prominently identified in business. In 1857, came west, taking up his abode in Atchison County, Kan.; engaged in farming a short distance from Pardee, being among the first in that part. He built a store in Pardee, and for several years was engaged in trade. He has been a constant resident of the county since 1857, with the exception of about a year spent in the far West and in Maine, on pleasure. In 1861, Mr. Cushman was a passenger on the ill-fated train that went through the Platte River bridge, near St. Joseph, Mo. A large number of people, including the conductor, were killed. Mr. C. was so seriously injured that he has never fully recovered. Although far past the meridian of life, he is well preserved. His memory is excellent, and he takes a live interest in the political issues of the day. he has been a Jackson Democrat, and his sympathies always have been with that party. In 1825, Miss Celia Pearce became his wife. She is a native of Maine. They have had nine children, Marcia (wife of C. T. Butin, Esq. of Atchison County), Augustus, Almacia, Adolphus, Alfred, Washburn, Harriet and Addison.
G. A. CUSHMAN, farmer, P. O. Pardee, is a native of Maine, and was born in Penobscott County, June 18, 1831. Was reared and educated in his native county, following lumbering for a number of years and resided there until 1864. He came to Kansas, locating in Pardee; the spring of that year he went to Montana and engaged in mining for a considerable length of time. The autumn of that year he was so unfortunate as to have his leg broken, a short distance from Fort Bridger. He made his way to Salt Lake City, and remained until the spring of 1865, when he went to Virginia City. The seasons of 1865-66, he was on the police force at Helena, Montana, after which he went to Idaho, where he remained for about one year, when he departed for Kansas. He took passage down the Missouri River on the steamer Mackinaw, which was abandoned, and after being out several days, Mr. Cushman, in company with others, purchased a mackinaw, and had progressed quite a distance, when they took passage on the steamer Deer Lodge. In 1867, he engaged in pork packing in Pardee, and aside from the season spent in that pursuit, he had been engaged in agricultural pursuits. He has a pleasant and comfortable home in Pardee, and is one of Center Township's most progressive citizens. He was married August 26, 1856, to Miss M. J. Smith, of Penobscott County, Me. Her father, E. Smith, Esq., was one of the oldest citizens of that county. They have had three children, who are deceased - Herbert E., Annie and Gustavus. The summer of 1881, Mr. and Mrs. Cushman made a tour to Maine, visiting their own home and passing several months.
O. DAVIS, of the firm of Davis & Babcock, stockmen, P. O. Nortonville, is a native of Rhode Island, and was born in Washington County, September 1, 1832; was there educated and reared. In 1862, came West, locating in Albion, Dane Co., Wis. where he was identified in the commercial circles for a number of years, doing a general merchandising trade, in the autumn of 1873, he came to Kansas engaging in the stock trade and farming, in company with his brother- in-law, Mr. O. W. Babcock. Mr. D. is a well-read man, a deep thinker. Has always been a strong Republican, and is an ardent advocate of temperance. He has been twice married, first in New York, to Miss Sophrena Babcock, of Jefferson County. By this union has one daughter - Lillian. Mrs. Davis's death occurred in Wisconsin. His present wife was formerly Elizabeth Williams, of Wisconsin. Mr. D. is of English extraction, his maternal ancestors were Reynolds. Himself and wife are members of the Seventh Day Baptist Church.
A. DEVIN, farmer, P. O. Farmington. This gentleman is a native of Kentucky, and was born in Helena, ten miles from May's Lick, May 22, 1818. His father William, was one of the substantial citizens of that county. He resided in his native county, and learned the blacksmithing trade. In 1844, he came to Weston, Mo., and engaged in blacksmithing, and for a time conducted a large livery stable. In 1860, came to Kansas, locating in Atchison, where he built a shop and was identified among the early Vulcans of that point. In 1863, he engaged in freighting in the California trade for Hardesty & Alexander, in the capacity of wagon master, in which he was eminently successful. He eventually made a trip with the Butterfield outfit, and was surrounded by Indians in the vicinity of Fort Ellsworth, the train was captured and Mr. D. was surrounded for four weeks before government troops came to the rescue. He was in such imminent danger that his hair turned gray in a very short period. He continued in the blacksmithing business in Atchison until 1877, when he turned his attention to agricultural pursuits. He is one of Kansas' most substantial citizens. He was married January 1, 1844, to Miss Elizabeth Wood. They have three children - James F., Adrian Jr., and Elizabeth.
THOMAS DONAHUE, farmer, Section 15, P. O. Farmington. One of Atchison County's most sterling farmers is the subject of the sketch. He is a native of Ireland, and was born in the Parish Kill Glass, County Roscommons, November 10, 1804; was reared, educated and learned the stone mason's trade in his native country. In 1847, he came to America, locating in Buffalo, N. Y., where he worked at his trade and resided a number of years. In 1861, came to Kansas, locating in Atchison County, where he now resides, his first purchase being 100 acres, he set to work assiduously, and when not engaged on the farm he worked at his trade. His landed estate now consists of 360 acres of fine land, the greater portion of which is under cultivation. Has a grand old orchard, and a residence that is a model of taste, indicating comfort. He was married in February, 1844, to Miss Bridget McGuire, of the County Roscommon, Ireland. They have six children - Joseph, John, Ellen, Katie, Jane and Louisa. Joseph was elected two terms to the Legislature.