|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
Monrovia is a station on the line of the Central Branch of the Missouri Pacific, a few miles west of Farmington. Although it now consists of but two stores and about fifty people, possessing a district school attended by sixty pupils, and a Methodist Episcopal Church, in charge of Rev. W. C. Day, Atchison, it is one of the oldest points in the county, the town having been platted as early as 1856. Caleb May was President of the Town company. Elijah Jones, N. Conley, L. H. Bishop, Col. Coulton, and other early settlers were interested in the town site. Among other early settlers who located in Monrovia and vicinity were S. J. H. Synder (now dead), who settled west of town; John Helwig, now living in Topeka; N. Connely and brother; Dr. J. C. Batsle, three miles northwest of town; John Graves, four miles southwest; Samuel Hipple and his son John; Daniel Campbell (dead); Jos. H. Talbott, now of Atchison; Len Hargrave, one mile north, and now an extensive stock dealer; Lawrence Lamberson, Moses H. Lamberson, Joseph Rodabough and James Meadows.
On the 27th of September, 1866, the Monrovia Lodge, No. 48, was organized at Monrovia, Atchison county, under dispensation, the officers being Simon P. Harrington, W. M.; Caleb May, S. W.; Benjamin Whelney, J. W.; Amos E. Landon, S. D.; John B. Ross, J. D.; M. P. Ketch, Treas.; Edward T. Durant, Secy. In 1880 the lodge was removed to Effingham and lodge held December 18. The name was changed to that of Mackey in honor of a leading Mason by that name. The lodge is in good working order. Officers in 1882: Joseph Logan, W. M.; J. Picket, S. W.; F. Wallick, J. W.; A. Conley, S. D.; W. Walker, J. D.; M. R. Benton, Treas.; A. T. Achenbach, Secy.
The Methodist Episcopal Church is in charge of Rev. W. C. Day, of Atchison. It is part of the old Monrovia circuit, organized in 1859, and including all the territory between that town and Sumner. The first pastor of the church was Rev. A. C. McNeal. It has now a membership of about twenty.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - BENTON TWP. (ACHENBACH - HIPPLE).
A. F. ACHENBACH, liveryman; Effingham. This popular citizen and gentleman is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Clifton County, January 12, 1847; was there reared, educated and resided until he came to Kansas, in 1869. He first located and was identified with the business interests of the towns of Washington and Hanover, being in the employ of some of the leading merchants of both places, who were engaged in merchandising, and in the grain and lumber trade. In 1876, came to Effingham and engaged in the livery business in connection with operating a farm he owned in Jackson County. Mr. A. is a public spirited and progressive citizen, and eminently popular with all who know him. He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, and secretary of McKay Lodge, No. 48 of Effingham. He was married in 1875, to Miss Hattie Gish, of Kansas, a native of Ohio. By this union they have two children - George and Glen.
GEORGE P. ALLEN, dealer in merchandise, hardware and grain; Effingham. One of the representative merchants of Atchison County, is the subject of this sketch. He is a native of New York, and was born in Brockport, Monroe County, February 12, 1836. He was educated and spent his earlier days in his native town. His father, Philemon Allen, was a prosperous merchant and real estate owner in Clarion County, and was widely known throughout that portion of Pennsylvania. When George P. was fourteen years of age, he became a clerk in one of his father's stores, and it may be said that in merchandising he was literally bred in the business. When nineteen years of age he assisted in managing a branch of his father's business. He eventually embarked in business in Brockport, in the manufacture of furniture, conducting a store in this connection, the firm being Smith & Allen; the style was afterwards known as Allen & Paine. Mr. A., in 1871, concluded to come West, where he could find a larger scope for his energies, and in that year engaged in the nursery business on the Salt Creek Valley, a short distance from Leavenworth, Kansas, continuing in that industry until 1878, when he engaged in merchandising at Nortonville, Kansas, and in the spring of 1879 established himself in Effingham. The firm, until the spring of 1882, was known as Allen & Way. Mr. Allen is a progressive, energetic business man, and has been eminently successful in his undertakings. He is a member of the Baptist Church, and among its liberal patrons and supporters. Mr. A. has been twice married, first in 1858, to Miss Juliet A. Spring, now deceased. By this union, he has three children - Edgar A., Herbert M. and George A. In 1866, Miss F. Smith became his wife.
HALL & HERRON, dealers in saddlery and harness; Effingham. These enterprising and popular young business men are favorably known throughout Atchison County, and among Effingham's most substantial citizens. The business was established by Mr. Hall in 1880. Charles Hall is a native of West Virginia, and was born in Wirt county, March 6, 1856. When young removed to Champaign County, Ill., where he was reared, educated and learned the saddlery and harness trade, after which for a time was engaged in business in Mulberry Grove, Bond County, Ill. He traveled considerably in the western country, working at his profession, and is a thoroughly experienced workman. William C. B. Herron is a native of Fayette County, Pa., and was born Nov. 9, 1858; was reared, educated and resided in his native State until 1871, when he came to Kansas with his parents, the family locating on a farm a short distance from Effingham, and W. C. B. learned his trade in Effingham.
G. M. BARTLOW, carpenter; Effingham. This well known builder is a native of Carmel County, Ky., and was born October 10, 1846. He came to Kansas with his parents in 1857, locating in Doniphan County, where his father, R. D. Bartlow, Esq., was familiarly known as one of the pioneers, residing two years; the family then removed to Brown County, where the senior Bartlow is still a resident, his home being near the town of Marak. G. M. was reared in Brown County, his early life being spent in agricultural pursuits. In 1875 he removed to Muscotah, where he followed the carpenter's trade, in which he is proficient, for four years, coming to Effingham from that point. He is finished workman, and has erected a number of the substantial structures in Atchison County. In 1880, he was called to Excelsior Springs, Clay County, Mo., where he built the attractive pagoda and a number of edifices. He is well known throughout Atchison and Brown counties. In 1871, he married a daughter of one of the oldest settlers of Atchison county. By this union they have four children - William, Hattie, Clinton and Daisy.
DR. JOHN C. BATSELL, P. O., Monrovia. Among the best known and popular gentlemen of Atchison may be mentioned Dr. Batsell, who for upwards of a quarter of a century has been one of its representative physicians. He is a native of Kentucky and was born in Marlon County, March 16, 1818. His father, Thomas Batsell, and his mother, Kesia Knoll, were natives of Culpepper County, Va. He was raised and educated in his native county. He there took up the study and became proficient in the science of medicine. He commenced to practice his profession in Valeene, Orange Co., Ind., where he continued successfully for over seven years. The autumn of 1855 found him in Kansas, and after reconnoitering in Atchison County, went to DeKalb, Mo., remaining until the spring of 1856, when he pre-empted the claim which is now his present home, and engaged, in connection with farming, to practice medicine, being the first practitioner west of Atchison in the county. He made long rides, being frequently called into Doniphan and Brown counties. Malarial diseases prevailed to a great extent in those early days; the people were in stringent circumstances. He furnished medicine and attended to their wants, losing largely financially, as the greater portion of the first settlers moved away. In 1863 the Doctor organized one-half of Company D, Thirteenth Kansas; was tendered the captaincy of the same, but declined and accepted the position of First Lieutenant. After a forced march through the Indian Territories and Arkansas, was taken dangerously sick and was obliged to resign and return to his home, serving three months in the army. He was also Major in the Twelfth Kansas during the Price raid. After the close of the Rebellion, he was elected to the Legislature by the Republican party. While a member of that body acquitted himself creditably and satisfactorily to his constituents. He was originally an old line Whig. Upon the organization of of (sic) the Republican party accepted of its principles, always being in favor of the abolition of slavery. The Doctor of late years has been discontinuing his practice, and devotes his time to the cultivation of the farm. His home is pleasantly situated, and is one of the most desirable in the neighborhood. He was married in Carmelsville, Ky., to Miss Rhoda A. Hazlewood. They have had eight children: Missouri J., Josephine A., Lee H. and Cora R. Four deceased: Thomas A., Samina E., Kate N. and John B.
HON. MILTON R. BENTON was born in Madison County, Ky., May 3, 1815. His father, Jesse, was a farmer and an extensive trader in Kentucky, having been engaged for twenty years in driving stock across the mountains through the Cumberland Gap, and at one time was a member of the Kentucky Legislature. His mother, Phoebe Quick was born in North Carolina and brought by her parents to Boon's Fork, Ky., in her infancy, She was a pioneer in the latter State. Milton was taught in the select schools of Kentucky, but his principal education was obtained by his own exertion under embarrassing difficulties. He began trading in stock at an early age and was particularly fond of good animals. He followed that vocation for about eight years, buying in Kentucky and driving to South Carolina and Virginia. He has been a farmer the greater part of his life pursuing that business in Kentucky and Kansas. He emigrated to the latter State in 1857, locating in Atchison, where he resided until 1867. In the latter year he removed to his farm in Atchison County. He was the first Marshal of the city of Atchison, being elected in 1858. In 1863, he was elected Mayor of the city, and in 1864, member of the Council. In 1859, was elected member of the Senate in the Territorial Council, and to the State Legislature in 1864. For three years was Trustee of Center Township. He was instrumental in organizing the present Township of Benton, which consists of a portion of Center and other townships. He is an Odd Fellow and passed through several chairs of the fraternity. Is also a Master Mason. His early religious education was received under the discipline of the Baptist Church, to which he was attached when fourteen years of age. He afterward joined the Christian Church, of which he is still a member. His political education was the Democratic, but before he cast his first vote, he approved and accepted the doctrine of Cassius M. Clay in opposition to slavery, and identified himself with that movement. He was a Free-state man in Kansas. Was an ardent supporter of A. Lincoln and the Republican party until the close of the war. He was then favorably impressed by the policy of re-construction advocated by President Johnson and supported his administration. In 1872, supported Horace Greeley, and has since been identified with the Democratic party. He endorsed the course of President Hayes. He was married February 4, 1838, to Miss Angelina Wilson, of Kentucky. She died in 1851, leaving five children. In 1853, he was married to Elizabeth Walters, of Kentucky, daughter of Samuel Walters, Esq. Mr. Benton had two sons in the late war - Coleman D., who was Captain in the Eighth Kentucky Infantry, and Curtis M., Captain of Company K. First Kansas Volunteers, and a son-in-law, who was a Lieutenant in a Kansas Regiment. He is an active business man and devotes himself to the real estate business besides carrying on a farm. He is a very genial gentleman and advocates right, let it cost what it will.
PROF. T. F. COOK, nurseryman, Section 13, P. O. Monrovia, is a native of North Carolina, and was born in Ashe County, December 31, 1833. When nine years of age he emigrated with his parents to Missouri, locating in Buchanan County. His father, Henry, was one of the pioneers of that county. T. F. Received the benefit of a good education in the Pleasant Ridge County. In 1860, he came to Atchison County, locating at Huron. In 1862, he enlisted in Company D, Thirteenth Kansas Volunteer Infantry. He was at the battles of Prairie Grove, Cane Hill and other engagements. After serving one year in the Thirteenth, he was transferred to the Indiana Corps. He acted as Lieutenant. His base of operations being in the Cherokee and Creek nations. He served until the close of the Rebellion, when he was mustered out in the Thirteenth Kansas. He returned to Atchison County, and turned his attentions to agricultural pursuits. During the winter seasons, for a number of years, he pursued the vocation of school teaching. In 1869, Prof. Cook was the choice of the Republican party for County Superintendent of Public Instruction, and in 1871, was re-elected. During his four years in that important office he identified himself creditably with the educational interests of Atchison County. In 1871, he located where he now resides, engaging extensively in the nursery business. In 1880, he married Mrs. Margaret Bohanan. They have six children - Annie, Kate, Ella, Clara Belle, Sarah and Thomas L. Mr. Cook is a Master Mason.
REV. T. C. DOWNS, presiding elder of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, Atchison Circuit, is a native of Delaware, and was born in Kent County, November 25, 1841, and was reared in his native State, receiving the advantages of a good academic education in the academy at Smyrna. His early aspiration was to become an expounder of the gospel, and after thoroughly familiarizing himself with the important facts of the profession he adopted, was ordained. In 1868, he came to Missouri and joined the Missouri Conference, and for three years had charge of the Wyandotte Circuit. He next went on the Oskaloosa Circuit, where he continued one year; was next on the Leavenworth Circuit for two years, one year on the Palona Circuit and four years on the Council Grove Circuit, from which appointment in 1878 was placed in charge of the Atchison Circuit. Elder Downs has been one of the most successful ministers in the cause of Christianity in Kansas, and has contributed an ample share towards the upbuilding of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, which is one of the most flourishing denominations in the State. He is a diligent worker, a firm and impressive speaker, and handles the subject of his discourse in a masterly manner. The Elder is eminently popular, not only in the pale of his own church, but with all denominations. In 1873, Miss R. E. Bowls, of Kansas, became his wife.
JAMES FARRELL, farmer, Section 25, P. O. Monrovia, is one of the most substantial citizens of the county. He is a native of Ireland, and was born in the County Louth. Was reared and educated in his native country, following the pursuit of agriculture until twenty-seven years of age, when he came to America, locating at Wheatland, N. Y., residing there a considerable length of time. He was married to Miss Ann Skelly, in Scotsville, Wheatland County, N. Y., October 15, 1855, and left for Michigan October 18. He settled in Salem, Mich., and worked on a farm there three years. April 18, 1859, he came to Kansas, settling at Atchison. He was one of the first settlers, and was closely associated with the early development of the Great West. He engaged in freighting across the plains, his destination for seven years being Denver. In 1867 he turned his attention to agriculture. His success in this line has been pre-eminent, as he now possesses, one of the finest farms in the county, in a high state of cultivation. He has five children - Willie, James, Mary, Agnes and Jane.
JAMES GALLAGHER, merchant, Monrovia. This well known gentleman is a son of the veteran Kansan, Mr. J. M. Gallagher, and was born in Brandenburg, Ky., Jan. 31, 1845. Came to Kansas with his parents in 1856, locating at Easton, Leavenworth County. He was reared and educated in Kansas. During his earlier days assisted his father in merchandising and other pursuits. In 1865 he engaged in freighting across the plains. He afterwards was installed as clerk in a large merchandise house in Leavenworth, where he remained several years. For one and one half years he sold goods for them on the line of the Kansas & Texas R. R. When that line was being constructed followed up the construction until it reached Dennison, Texas. For two years he was connected with his father in trade at Valley Falls, in 1875 embarked in trade at Monrovia. Mr. Gallagher is a man possessed of sterling business ability, is very unassuming and notably popular with all. He was married in 1877 to Miss Mary Devinney. Himself and wife are members of the Catholic Church.
J. M. GALLAGHER, merchant. Among the citizens who figured at an early day in Kansas may be mentioned the subject of this sketch. He is a native of Ireland and was born in the County of Galaway, May 9, 1815. When he was about eighteen years of age came to the United States. For a considerable length of time he was in the Province of New Brunswick, but eventually located in Louisville, Ky., where he engaged largely in the wholesale tobacco business, until the Know Nothing riots in 1855, which proved disastrous to him financially. In 1856 he came to Kansas, locating in Easton, Leavenworth County. Embarked in mercantile business in connection with operating a large farm. He was the pioneer merchant of Easton and closely identified with that county until 1864, when he removed to the city of Leavenworth, where he engaged for a considerable length of time in the livery business and stock trade, and also dealt largely in city real estate. In 1873 came to Atchison County, and turned his entire attention to the cultivation of the farm; but the pursuit of agriculture was too monotonous for a man like Mr. Gallagher who had been an active business man so long, and in 1874 he engaged in the grocery and drug business in Effingham, and has been before the public the greater portion of the time since. Mr. G. is a man of excellent judgment and has been very successful in all of his undertakings. While a resident of Leavenworth County was Justice of the Peace several years, County Commissioner four years, and while a resident of the city of Leavenworth was the choice of the people as a member of the Town Board, which office he filled four years. He was married in 1842 to Miss Louisa Caine, of Louisville, Ky. By this union they have three children - James, Richard and Nellie.
JACOB GRAVES, farmer, Section 35, P. O. Monrovia. This pioneer and well known gentleman is a native of Tennessee and was born in Claiborne County April 13, 1837. He came to Missouri with his parents in 1840, his father, Anthony, locating in Buchanan County, where he resided a considerable length of time, when he became a resident of Nodaway County, Mo., where the father died. The subject of this sketch is a brother of Mr. John Graves, who is also a pioneer of Atchison County. In 1858 he came to Kansas and took a claim of 160 acres to which he has been adding from time to time until at present he has one of the finest estates in the county. Mr. G. had many drawbacks to contend with at an early day, which are usually incidental to the pioneer, and he is deserving of special mention for the progress and success he has had in developing the country. He is an affable and courteous gentleman and much respected by his fellow citizens. He was married in Nodaway County, Mo., in 1860 to Miss Emmeline Groves. They have had eight children - Isabelle, George M., Nancy A., John A., James A., Charles E., Martha G. and Willis J. The Family is identified with the Christian Church.
JOHN GRAVES, farmer, P. O. Monrovia. The name of Graves has become a household word in Atchison County, and it certainly should, as there is no name that has been more closely associated with the county's progress for over a quarter of a century than that of Mr. John Graves. He is a native of Tennessee and was born in Granger County, November 27, 1829. When in his eleventh year his father, Anthony Graves, with his family, including John, emigrate to Buchanan County, Mo., locating near DeKalb. He was one of the pioneers in Northwestern Missouri, and closely identified, up to the time of his death which occurred in Nodaway County, a few years ago. He left a family of thirteen children. Eight daughters and two sons reside in Nodaway County, Mo. The subject of this sketch came to Atchison County and took a claim on the ninth day of October, 1854; that claim is now his present homestead. On March 28, 1855, he took up his permanent abode. He was the first settler in that locality on Stranger Creek, his nearest neighbor being four miles. He at once set to work assiduously to make a home, and although his financial status was very eager, by industry and economy he succeeded to accomplishing his purpose, and at an early day displayed to the new comers a model Kansas farm. He has seen Northeastern Kansas develop from a barren and trackless plain to a garden spot that any country might well be proud of. During his long sojourn in the county Mr. Graves has not been a political aspirant, preferring the quiet of his regular pursuits. He was one of the proprietors and original owners of the town of Monrovia. He was married on the tenth of February, 1850, to Miss E. A. Lundrum, a native of Indiana. Has three children - J. M., H. L. & A. M.
L. B. HARGROVE, stock dealer and farmer, P. O. Monrovia. One of the most extensive stockmen in the West, and one of the first settlers of Kansas is L. B. Hargrove, Esq. He is a native of Missouri and was born in LaFayette County, May 28, 1835. At an early age removed to Buchanan County, Mo., with his parents, his father, John Hargrove, being a pioneer in that portion of the State. The subject of this sketch was reared and educated on Sugar Creek, there residing until 1854, when he became a resident of Atchison County. For a time he was engaged in herding cattle, and pre-empted a claim in close proximity to his present home, his brother having pre-empted the farm he now owns. Being one of the first farm openers he early identified himself with the agricultural interests of the State. He has always made a specialty of the stock trade and in this line has been eminently successful, being recognized in Chicago and St. Louis as one of the largest shippers in the Northwest. He is a self-made man, commencing in meager circumstances he has obtained a competency by industry and good management. He has been twice married. In 1839 to Miss Sarah Duncan, of Kentucky, now deceased. Had nine children - Elizabeth M., George, Willis, Robert, Reuben C., and Bonifred; three deceased - Ada, Sarah and Missie. His present wife was formerly Mary Miller. By this marriage they have two daughters - Gracie Pearl and Allie. Mr. Hargrove during the Rebellion was a soldier in the State Militia, and while in the engagement at Westport, Mo., was severely wounded. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, McKey Lodge, of Effingham.
G. W. HARRIS, Postmaster, Effingham, is a native of Michigan, and was born in LaPeer County, July 11, 1845. He was raised and educated in the town of Dryden, where he learned the carriage-making trade. He carried on that business for a time. In 1873, he came to Effingham, embarking in the manufacture of wagons, and carried on undertaking and merchandise. In December, 1874, was appointed Postmaster under President Grant's administration. Mr. Harris is a live business man and makes an excellent Postmaster. In connection with merchandise trade he still continues wagon-making. He was married in 1864, to Miss Sarah E. Brown, whose death occurred in 1872. They have three children - Samuel Herbert, Libbie G. and George B. His present wife was Miss Fannie Cohoon, of Atchison County, Kansas, and married August 9, 1874.
D. W. HAWK, farmer, Section 4, P. O. Effingham; is a native of Ohio, and was born in Coshocton County, June 15, 1831; was reared and educated in his native State, where he resided, engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1869, when he moved to Iowa, taking up his abode a short distance from Grinnel, in Powesniek County, continuing there four and a half years. In 1877, became a resident of Kansas, locating where he now resides. Mr. Hawks is one of the largest and most successful farmers in the county, and has made a success by combining practical and theoretical. He is a genial and entertaining gentleman. In 1856, he was married to Miss Sarah DeCamp, of Ohio. They have had nine children - Sadie E., Francis M., Noble E., Laura A., Loyal Grant, Harvey M. and Mary M. Lost, two - Eda Viola and Brazela L.
JOESPH HENDERSON, Sr., farmer, Section 26, P. O. Monrovia; is a native of Tennessee, and was born in Cocke County, May 22, 1803; was reared and educated in Green County, Tenn. In 1831, came to Missouri, being one of the pioneers of Jackson County, where he resided for a time, and removed to Platte County, being one of the first settlers of the Platte Purchase. In 1855, came to Kansas, taking up his abode in Leavenworth County, where he resided until 1868, when he became a resident of Atchison County, settling on his present farm. Mr. Henderson has always pursued farming, and has had many obstacles and hardships, which he endured as a pioneer in developing the different localities where he resided, and is deserving of much credit for what he has done in the West. Although past the meridian of life he is still quite active, and as industrious as in his younger days. He was married in Tennessee, to Miss Hannah McCoy. They have had nine children - James, Mary A., Sarah, John, Joseph Jr., George, Nannie. Lost two - William and Gilbert.
JOSEPH HENDERSON, Jr., farmer, Section 26, P. O. Monrovia. This gentleman is a son of the veteran citizen Joseph Henderson, and was born in Platte County, Mo., May 19, 1842. Came to Kansas with his parents in 1855; was principally reared and educated in Leavenworth County, his boyhood days spent in tilling the soil. Came to Atchison County in 1868, where he has since been a resident. He married in Kansas, Miss Fannie Benton, a native of Kentucky. They have three children - Charles, Annie and Joseph M.
F. C. HERRON, farmer, Section 10, Township 6, Range 18, P. O. Effingham; is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Alleghany County, August 23, 1823; removed in early life to Fayette County. He was raised and educated in his native State, and followed agricultural pursuits in the Monongahela Valley for several years. In 1871, he came to Kansas, locating in Atchison County. He is extensively engaged in stock raising, and is one of Atchison County's thrifty farmers. During his sojourn in the county, Mr. Herron has been prominently identified. In 1874-75, was one of the County Commissioners, and for four years was Justice of the Peace. He organized all the Granges in Atchison County, and in that departure was a leading figure. He is a man of keen judgement and possessed of considerable executive ability. He was married in Pennsylvania, to Miss Sarah Carter. They have four living children, two sons and two daughters - Mary, William, Nannie and James. Mr. H. is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
O. P. HIPPLE, Postmaster and merchant, Monrovia. Among those who figured prominently in Kansas at an early day was Mr. Samuel Hipple. He was a native of Perry County, Pa., born in 1815. He figured early in railroading in his native State, constructing a number of miles of the Pennsylvania Central. In 1867, he came to Kansas and engaged in freighting, his business extending into New Mexico, Wyoming, Utah, and other localities in the far West and Southwest. Mr. H. located his family on a farm in 1857, adjacent to the present town of Monrovia. He built the first saw-mill - to which was attached a corn-grinder - that there was in that portion of the State. It being located on Stranger Creek. The entire saw-mill he brought from St. Louis. During the late war he had charge of the quartermaster department at Cape Girardeau, Mo., for the distributing of supplies in the West, his father, Mr. John, assisting him in the management of that branch of his business. He was largely interested in Kansas real estate, owning at one time 2,300 acres of land. He served one term in the Legislature from Atchison County, discharging the duties of his trust creditably to himself and the satisfaction of his constituents. His death occurred in 1875. In latter years he had devoted his attention to the buying and shipping of stock. His wife, Emeline Hipple is still living on the old homestead. They reared a family of five children - John S., O. P., Samuel L., C. J. and W. M. O. P. Hipple, whose name is at the head of this sketch is a native of Pennsylvania; was born in Schuylkill County, January 19, 1850; came to Kansas with his parents in 1857; was reared to manhood in Atchison County, receiving his early education in the district school in Center Township. He attended the State Agricultural College in Manhattan, Kansas, and graduated in military tactics under General John W. Davis, in 1870. He was employed with his father in the stock trade, and followed various pursuits until in the spring of 1882, he engaged in trade. He was married in 1873, to Miss Melvina Shiflett, of Atchison County. By this union they have four children - Harry Lea, George E., Grace E. and Mabel.