|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
COLONY, PART 2.
GEORGE EDWARDS, agent for S. A. Brown & Co., lumber dealers, was born in Miami County, Ind., October 4, 1846, where he learned the trade of carpenter and cabinet-maker. In 1869 he came to Kansas and remained for a year in Marshall County. Returning East, he located at Mexico, Ind., and followed his trade. In 1878 he went to Glencoe, Minn., where he was employed in a lumber-yard and also worked at his trade, returning to Marshall County, Kan., in April 1880. He was for a few months employed on a farm. Then he went to Atchison, where he worked at his trade in a furniture establishment. In June 1882 he came to Colony and entered upon his present duties.
T. L. ELLIOT, merchant, was born in Steuben County, N. Y., December 29, 1836, and was reared on a farm in Wayne and Clinton counties, Mich., where his parents were engaged in agricultural pursuits. In May, 1857, he came to Kansas, locating in Allen County and remaining there in camp until December with the Union Settlement Company. He assisted in laying out the town of Geneva, and was a member of the Town Company. Removing to Woodson County, he took up a farm and followed agricultural pursuits. July 24, 1861, he enlisted in Company C, Tenth Kansas Infantry, and was discharged in August 1864 and returned to his farm, but remained there only a short time, removing to Allen County, where he purchased a farm. This he traded two years later for a stock of goods at Geneva, and continued to carry on business there until January 1882, when he came to Colony and opened a general merchandise store. He carries a good stock of about $8,000 and is building up a nice trade.
ED. F. EWING, salesman, with T. L. Elliot, was born in Licking County, Ohio, June 22, 1839. There he was educated and for a time attended the Denison University at Granville, Ohio. In September 1851 he enlisted in Company H, Thirty-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was appointed Second Lieutenant, serving eighteen months. He then re-enlisted in the Tenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, was appointed Regimental Sergeant, and served until September, 1865. He afterward followed mercantile and agricultural pursuits in Licking County. He came to Anderson County, Kan., in May 1872, and located in Ozark Township. There he improved a farm of eight acres, which he still owns. In 1879 he came to Colony and has since followed mercantile pursuits as a salesman. He was Clerk of the township three years and Trustee one. In 1880 he took the United States Census of Ozark Township, and in 1881 he was Secretary of the Republican Central Committee of Anderson County. He has been a member of the Masonic fraternity for twenty-one years and at present is J. W. of the lodge.
JOHN L. HALL, of Hall & Rogers, balers and shippers of hay, was born in Bartlett, N. H., in March 1831, and removed when young with his parents to Portland, Me., where he learned the trade of carpenter. He was then employed in that occupation, and as engineer in various parts of the State of Maine. In March, 1856, he came to Kansas, located at Wyandotte, and was for several years employed as a carpenter. In 1857 he engaged in the furniture and undertakers' business, and while so engaged, he located a fine cemetery in Wyandotte. During the early part of the war he began to run steamers on the Missouri River, between Leavenworth and Lexington, Mo., and carried on that business for about fifteen years. He built five new steamers, and lost while engaged in the river business seven boats. He was then engaged in milling for several years, in Wyandotte and Leavenworth, also followed that business at Spring Hill, Kan., for two years. He came to Colony May 25, 1882, and engaged in the present business with R. H. Rogers. They run two steam presses of ten horse-power each, employ twelve men and bale from 15,000 to 20,000 tons of hay per annum.
JOHN HOLZAPFEL, postmaster, was born in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, April 11, 1856, and in May, 1858, his parents emigrated to Douglas County, Kan. His father, Nicholas Holzapfel was one of the pioneers of Baldwin City and resided there seventeen years, during which period the subject of this sketch was for a few years employed in agricultural pursuits. In March, 1875, he came to Colony, several years he followed farming and was also for a time employed in the real estate office of C. P. Walker. In March, 1882, he, in company with the Bush Bros., purchased the general merchandising stock of J. B. Rhodes. The business is conducted under the style of Bush Bros. & Co. They have a large trade and carry a stock of about $6,000. Mr. Holzapfel was appointed postmaster at this place June 7, 1882.
JOHN McD. MARTIN, of Martin & Shockey, merchants, was born in Jackson County, Ga., November 24, 1836. He came to Kansas in the spring of 1857 and located in Bourbon County. During the troubles prevailing at that period he was a supporter of the Free-State party. In the spring of 1859 he removed to Pike's Peak, Col. Returning the following fall, he pre-empted 120 acres in Allen County, and at once engaged in agricultural pursuits. He enlisted, August 29, 1862, in Company B, Tenth Kansas Infantry, and was discharged at the close of the war, having served in all thirty-five months. In 1866 he sold his farm in Allen County, removed to Anderson County, purchased land in Deer Creek and once more embarked in farming and stock-raising. In 1877 he moved to Colony and engaged in the general merchandise business, and has followed it, off and on, since. On December 15, 1881, he became associated with his present partner, M. Shockey. The firm do a large business and carry a stock of $6,000 to supply the demands of their trade. Mr. Martin owns 487 acres of land in Anderson County and is also engaged in the grain business with S. C. Varner. He has held the offices of Clerk and Treasurer of Ozark Township several times.
GEORGE W. MATTHEWS, merchant, was born in Illinois in 1844 and when young his parents moved to Macon County, Mo., and in 1860 he accompanied them to Kansas. His father, P. T. Matthews, located on Deer Creek, Anderson County, and practiced medicine, while the boys conducted the farm. He has continued to practice his profession ever since until the present time, but his physical strength having failed, he has at length been obliged to give it up. The subject of this sketch enlisted, in November, 1861, in Company F, Eighth Kansas Infantry, served three years, and was wounded at the battle of Chickamauga, September 19, 1863. He then resided with his father at Greeley and attended the school there and at Garnett. In 1866 he engaged in agricultural pursuits on his own account, carrying on a farm on Deer Creek until the spring of 1881, when he came to Colony and was engaged in the grocery business. He was burned out in the summer of 1882, and in October started again with a general stock, of which he carries about $2,500.
JOHN B. RHODES, farmer, was born at West Stockbridge, Berkshire Co., Mass., April 8, 1839. A year later, his parents emigrated to Wyoming County, Pa., and he assisted his father in milling and farming until he arrived at twenty-one years of age, when he attended the Luzerne Institute, Pa., for some time. Afterward he read law at Wilkesbarre with S. P. Longstreet, and was admitted there to the bar in 1864. He then practiced in Wyoming County, at the town of Tunkhannock. He was appointed Superintendent of Public Instruction for Wyoming County in 1867, and again in 1869. This position he resigned and came to Anderson County, Kan., in the spring of 1870. He located in Ozark Township and engaged in agricultural pursuits. He had charge of the post-office at Elizabethtown from 1874 to 1879. In March of the latter year he removed to Colony and embarked in the general merchandise business. He built up a large and lucrative trade and disposed of the same to Bush Bros. & Co., in March, 1882, since which time he has given his attention to his farm, etc. Mr. Rhodes has 254 acres of land, 140 acres of which he cultivates, and also raises considerable live-stock. He has held the offices of Treasurer and Trustee of Ozark Township and was in 1880 elected a member of the County Board of Commissioners of Anderson County for a term of three years.
SAMUEL C. VARNER, dealer in grain and implements, was born in Monongahela City, Penn., December 10, 1845, ten years later his parents removed to Fulton County, Ill., and he was employed as a clerk in mercantile business at Canton, for several years. In May, 1862, he enlisted in Company F, Sixty-seventh Illinois Infantry, served one year, re-enlisted in the One Hundred and Forty-eighth, and was elected Second Lieutenant of Company B, was promoted to First Lieutenant in April, 1865, and mustered out in September following. In 1867 he moved to Des Moines, Iowa, clerked a year, and then engaged in grocery business, a year later he sold out and went to Adair County, where he followed agricultural pursuits. In 1876 he moved to McLean County, Ill., where he carried on a farm of 800 acres. Mr. Varner came to Colony in April, 1879, and established a lumber-yard, this he sold out in June, 1882. In 1881 he embarked in hardware business, built up a nice trade and disposed of that business in October, 1882. In 1880 he engaged in agricultural implement business, he is the only one engaged in that line of business at this place, and has a nice trade. He is also engaged in grain business in company with John McD. Martin.
JOSEPH WALKER, carpenter and builder, was born in Crawford County, Penn., June 17, 1829, there he learned the trade of carpenter, and followed that occupation and boat building until he came to Kansas in September, 1866. He located in Garnett and followed contracting and building. In July, 1868, he purchased a farm on Deer Creek, Anderson County, and farmed in connection with his trade until March, 1881, when he moved to Colony, since which time he has given his sole attention to building, etc.
CHARLES PORTER WALKER, real estate, was born near Conneautville, Crawford County, Penn., May 11, 1849, and came to Anderson County, Kan., in April 1866. He located on Deer Creek and four years later homesteaded eighty acres, there he followed agricultural pursuits. In July, 1876, he moved to Colony and engaged in the real estate business, he was at that time appointed local land agent for what is now the K. C. L. & S. K. R. R. Co., and the M. K. & T. R. R. Co. Both positions he still retains and in connection he conducts a general real estate and loan business.
Westphalia is a thriving village in the midst of a German settlement, situated in the western part of the county. Its location is on the gently sloping upland prairie, not far from timber, and on the line of the Arizona Division of the Missouri Pacific Railroad, about seventeen miles west and south from Garnett.
The present population of Westphalia is about one hundred and fifty. There are altogether, including shops, etc., seventeen business houses, with an aggregate annual trade of $120,000. The hay trade is a profitable industry, and several thousand tons of baled and pressed hay are shipped annually.
In November, 1879, a post-office had been established at the residence of Mr. Cornell, who was appointed postmaster and the office named in his honor. On July 1, 1880, the post-office was moved to the town site, and the name changed to Westphalia, this name having been selected by the railroad company as the name of the station. Anthony Flusche, who had located at the new town a short time before was appointed postmaster as well as depot agent. Some time afterward the name of the town was changed to Westphalia that it might correspond with the name of the post-office and railroad station.
The first sermon was preached at the residence of A. Flusche, by Rev. P.A. Peters, on April 12, 1880. In the spring of 1881, the first church--the Roman Catholic--was built. It is a well furnished building, 22x40 feet in size. Services are held regularly therein.
The first school taught in Westphalia began May 1, 1881. It was kept in the Catholic Church. Rev. P. Brocarde was the teacher. The schoolhouse was afterward moved in from the country, since when the school has been kept in it.
The town is peopled by an energetic and intelligent class of people, principally Germans. The school is a good one, having about fifty pupils. The Roman Catholic is the only church organization. There is a Literary Society which is in a prosperous condition.
JACOB AFFOLTER, M.D., was born in Switzerland in 1831. He studied medicine at Berne College, and graduated there. In 1852 he came to America, traveled for some months then settled at Davenport, Iowa, where he was employed in drug business. He attended Humboldt Medical College, St. Louis, graduating August 13, 1862, and was immediately appointed First Assistant Surgeon, Fourth Missouri Cavalry, serving in that capacity over two years. Then practiced in Milwaukee for a few months, afterwards located at the town of Breese, Clinton County, Ill., where he continued to practice his profession until January 1882, when he immigrated to Westphalia, Kan., since which time he has practiced in Anderson County.
C. C. ELKINS, of C.C. Elkins & Co., dealers in lumber, building material, etc., was born in Greene County, Ind., in 1850, and for some years was employed in teaching school in that State, Missouri and Colorado. In 1876 he came to Kansas and located in Rich Township, Anderson County, where he was engaged in farming and raising stock. He still owns his farm, which consists of 200 acres. In February, 1882, he came to Westphalia and embarked in this business under present style. He carries a nice stock of about $5,000, and is building up a good business. During his residence in Rich Township, he was Justice of the Peace for five years, and Trustee of the Township for one year.
ANTON FLUSCHE, of Flusche Bros., merchants, was born in Westphalia, Germany, in 1847. There he was for a time employed in the drug business. In 1871 he emigrated to St. Louis, Mo., there he followed the drug business, and in 1874 moved to Westphalia, Iowa, where he was engaged in agricultural pursuits. In April 1880, he came to Kansas, located at Westphalia, and embarked in mercantile business in company with his brothers Emil and August, on the following May. They carry a stock of about $5,000. Mr. Flusche was appointed postmaster at this place, April 28, 1880, and has retained the office since.
EMIL FLUSCHE, of Flusche Bros., merchants, was born in Germany in 1849, and he was employed for some years in the capacity of book-keeper. In 1872 he emigrated to Shelby County, Iowa, there he established the town and German Colony of Westphalia, and while residing there carried on a real estate and insurance business, and also followed farming pursuits. He came to Kansas in March, 1880, located in Anderson County, and established the town of Westphalia. Mr. Flusche is engaged in the land and insurance business and is also engaged in general merchandise business in company with his brothers August and Anton, besides which he has a farm of 300 acres adjoining the town site. The subject of this sketch was married in Westphalia, Kan., November 23, 1881, to Annie Heese.
RUDOLPH F. GRAUPNER was born in Radibor, Prussia, Germany, August 12, 1845. His parents emigrated to America, when he was about three years of age. Located at Manyouk, Mass. He has lived in different portions of Pennsylvania, Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana. Enlisted in the Federal army at Davenport, Iowa, October 1, 1861, in Company B, Sixteenth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and served during the Rebellion to the end of the war under Gen. Sherman. Re-enlisted as a veteran in the same company and regiment at Vicksburg, Miss., in 1864. Served as apprenticeship as druggist at Augusta, Ill., in 1867, from which time he adapted himself to different occupations, whichever proved the most lucrative and afforded him the best means of support. Was married at Muscatine, Iowa, in March, 1872. In 1874 served an apprenticeship as barber at Waterloo, Iowa, after which followed the tonsorial art at Greene, Iowa, until 1876; purchased a quarter section in Floyd County, Iowa, and farmed two years, after which moved to Missouri, where he sojourned about two years. In February, 1880, took a flying trip to Kansas and purchased some lots in the then town of Cornell, since changed to Westphalia, in Anderson County, Kan., and the following August, moved his family from Winston, Mo., here, but not finding the prospects very encouraging, decided on locating at Le Roy, Coffey Co., Kan. May 1, 1882, he moved his stock of drugs and druggists' sundries to Westphalia, since which he has added general merchandise. Carries stock of about $5,000 to be increased and enlarged.
J. D. HAWES, dealer in hay, grain, farm and mill products and live-stock, Westphalia, Kan., was born in Sherman, Fairfield Co., Conn., July 17, 1835. When quite young took charge of his father's large dairy, shipping and selling the product in New York City. In 1853 he moved to Bradford, Chickasaw Co., Iowa, and was commissioned by Governor Grimes as a notary public, and engaged in the banking and real estate business. In 1858 he married Miss F. M., the youngest daughter of Colonel Alvard Fuller, and soon after moved to East Temple, where milling and real estate speculation occupied his attention until the breaking out of the Rebellion, when he was conscripted into the Rebel service, but escaped to the Union lines in Kentucky; received a recruiting commission and was also sutler for the First East Tennessee Cavalry, Col. Robert Johnson. He also opened a wholesale store at 46 Public Square, Nashville, Tenn., from which he supplied a large number of sutlers, keeping up his stock, shipping from Cincinnati, Ohio, by the steamboat load. His attention was also turned to photographing and Harper's and Leslie's monthlies are indebted to him for many of their views of battle scenes and historical localities. He employed twenty-seven artists, and there is scarce a Union soldier that does not remember the gallery of the Cumberland and the many photograph tents of Hawes Brothers. In 1864 he turned his attention to railroading and was for twelve years in the employ of the A. & M. Railroad, Missouri Pacific and other lines as conductor. It was during this period that he conducted a large commission house in Cincinnati, keeping his brother, G. W. Hawes, in charge of same. In 1876 he moved to Kansas. Purchased a large tract of land and tried his hand at farming. This proved to be too slow to suit his high pressure ideas, and he engaged in baling and shipping hay and general merchandise at Leloup. Soon after selling out to Purdy & Scott, he entered the service of the Hannibal & St. Joe Railroad as conductor, but after a year resigned and put in steam hay presses at Colony, Iola, Humboldt, Mount Ida, and Westphalia. Was elected President of the Valley Hay Company, a corporation that for a season greatly influenced the hay and grain trade in Southern Kansas, and giving the towns where his presses were located new life and energy. After the season of 1881 he disposed of all interest except in the presses and mills at Westphalia, where he is still doing a large business as indicated above, furnishing employment to from 30 to 300 men and paying the farmers of this and adjoining counties over $100,000 per annum.
J. R. McCORMICK, proprietor Westphalia House, was born in Bourbon County, Ky., July 27, 1824, and reared on a farm. In 1847-48 he served in the Mexican war in the Third Kentucky troops, after which he was engaged in general trading. On July 16, 1862, he enlisted in Company E, John Morgan's Squadron, Confederate troops. Early in 1863 he was promoted to Captain of Company B, Ninth Kentucky Infantry. In July of that year he was captured by the Union troops and not released until May, 1865. He returned to Kentucky and conducted a hotel at Carlisle for ten months; at Blue Licks Springs for four years, and carried on the Southern Hotel at Lexington for two years; afterward engaged in general trading, speculating, etc., until November, 1877, when he came to Kansas. Mr. McCormick farmed for over two years in Anderson County. In March, 1880, he went to Coffey County, where he continued to farm up to March, 1882, when he came to Westphalia and at once opened his present hotel. He keeps a good house and has accommodation for sixteen guests.
Mont Ida is a very small town situated about nine miles southwest from Garnett, on the line of the Arizona Division of the Missouri Pacific Railroad. The location is a fine one on the nearly level high upland prairie.
Surrounded as it is by an old and well developed agricultural country, a great deal of business is done. Besides the trade in general merchandise, the baling and shipping of hay is a profitable industry. There is also a railroad depot, schoolhouse, post-office, and blacksmith shop.
The land on which the town is located was settled in 1857, by E. J. Broomhall, who still resides there. The town was surveyed and platted in 1880, by the railroad company. It was named by them, and it is said the name was selected in honor of a daughter of Mr. Broomhall.
WM. R. BORROW, farmer, Section 7, P. O. Garnett, was born in West Virginia, April 14, 1818, where he followed agricultural pursuits. He emmigrated [sic] to Kansas, Nov. 7, 1859, and located on his present farm. He has 532 acres of land, of which he cultivates 130, and is an extensive breeder of cattle and hogs. On August 14, 1862, he enlisted in Company F, Eleventh Kansas Infantry, and was discharged May 24, 1864.
JOHN B. CAMPBELL, farmer, Section 20, P. O. Garnett, was born in Scotland in 1833. At the age of sixteen years he emigrated to Syracuse, N. Y.; was for a time employed at farm work, then moved to Herkimer County, where he worked eighteen months at the trade of tinner. He emigrated to Kansas, April 1856, resided a few months at Osawatomie, and participated with the Free-State party in the troubles prevailing at that period. In the fall of that year he enlisted in the militia attached to the Sixth United States Infantry, and served two months. Early in 1857 he came to Anderson County, resided at the village of Hiatt, and in the summer moved to Washington Township, since which time he has followed agricultural pursuits. On September 8, 1862, he enlisted in Company F, Eleventh Kansas Infantry and served three years. Mr. Campbell has 410 acres of land, 100 of which he cultivates. Has a nice orchard of four acres, and raises considerable live-stock. On his place is a fine stone residence. He was Justice of the Peace at this place for three years. The subject of this sketch was married at Garnett, Kansas, in the fall of 1860, to Melissa Smith, who died in July, 1870, leaving two children. He was married again October, 12, 1871, to Rebecca Hopkins. They have four children.
ROBERT H. MOORE, farmer, Section 6, P. O. Garnett, was born Muskingum County, Ohio, December 11, 1827. There he learned the carpenters trade, and followed that occupation for thirteen years in that and adjoining counties. He emigrated to Anderson County in 1857, and pre-empted 160 acres on which he still resides. He has now 331 acres, all improved, and is quite an extensive raiser of live-stock. In August, 1862, He [sic] enlisted in Company F, Eleventh Kansas Infantry and served three years. Has been Trustee of this township two terms, and is the present incumbent. He was elected Vice-President of the Anderson County Savings Bank in 1880, and still retains that position. Mr. Moore was married in Muskingum County, Ohio, in 1852 to Martha Hutton. They have six children.
A. A. ADAMS, fruit grower, Section 13, Township 20, Range 19, P. O., Garnett was born at Holiday's Cove, Hancock County, West Virginia, September 21, 1839. Was reared on a farm and also for some years was employed on boats running from Pittsburgh to Cincinnati on the Ohio River. In the spring of 1857, he came to Kansas with his father J. W. Adams, who located in Franklin County. In August, 1861, he enlisted in the Kansas Home Guards, was mustered into the Ninth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry and served seven months. In the spring of 1863, he went to Lawrence, where he began the study of photography, and also traveled a few months in the Eastern States perfecting himself in the profession. Afterwards conducting an extensive gallery at Lawrence. In 1867, he came to Anderson County, purchased a farm in this township, to which he has since given his main attention. He has 170 acres of land, all highly improved, thirty-five acres he has set out in fruit trees, grape vines, berries, etc., and has one of the best fruit-producing farms in the county. In November, 1880, he established a photograph gallery at Garnett which he proposes to conduct but a short time as his farm requires his whole attention. He is also a breeder of Ayrshire dairy cattle, of which he has made a success. Has traveled in the United States from New York to San Francisco, and from Dakota to the Gulf of Mexico, now lives, and expects to die in the faith that Kansas is the best State in the United States.