|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
GREELEY, PART 2.
CAMMERBEKE & BOUDEWYNS, manufacturers of brick. This business was estabished early in the spring of 1882 by the above firm. They manufactured about 200,000 brick in the season of 1882, besides a considerable quantity of drain tile. Their business is the only one of this nature in the county and gives employment to about ten men. Peter Cammerbeke of this firm was born in Anderson County, Kan., December 1, 1857, and was reared on a farm. He was for three years in the mercantile business at Greeley. He has had a practical experience in the manufacture of brick of about three years. His partner, Albert Boudewyns, is a native of Holland. He came to America when he was thirteen years old and learned his trade in St. Louis. He came to Kansas about two years ago and has had a practical experience in this business of about twenty-five years.
CLARK DECKER, proprietor of the Greeley Flouring Mills, was born in Crawford County, Ohio, in 1835, and moved to Delaware County, Ohio, with his parents in 1842, where for some years he followed agricultural pursuits, and also carried on a saw-mill for eleven years. While residing there he held the office of Justice of the Peace for three years. In August, 1864, he enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Seventy-seventy Ohio Infantry and served eleven months. Mr. Decker came to Kansas in 1876 and located in Anderson County and has since been interested in agricultural pursuits. He has 366 acres of land and raises considerable live-stock. In the spring of 1876 he bought a saw-mill which he conducted for about five years. In December, 1877, he purchased the Greeley Mills and has added large improvements. They are now valued at $13,000, and he has a large and extensive trade. The mills have a capacity of forty barrels per day, besides which 10,000 pounds of feed, meal, etc., are ground out each day. Mr. Decker also deals extensively in all kinds of grain. He was elected Justice of the Peace in 1876 and still retains the office. Elected Mayor of Greeley in 1881, and re-elected in 1882.
HARRISON & KINCAID, dealers in lumber and general merchandise. L. U. Harrison, the senior member of the firm, was born in Jones County, N. C., and when young moved with his parents to Muscatine County, Iowa, where he followed mercantile pursuits with his father and also farmed to some extent. He came to Kansas in October, 1869, located in Linn County, and followed agricultural pursuits and also raised considerable live-stock. He had a farm of some 300 acres and still owns a farm there of 168 acres. He came to Greeley in March, 1880, and engaged in the lumber business. In January, 1880, he became associated with A. Kincaid, and in January, 1881, they purchased the merchandise business of Peter Cammerbeke, his stock being estimated at $3,400. The firm have a large trade in both businesses. In lumber, they carry a stock of $6,000; and in general merchandise, $8,000 to $10,000, and are the leading business house in Greeley. The junior member of the firm, A. Kincaid, was born in Trumbull County, Ohio, and was reared in Mahoning County. When twenty years old he went to Illinois and remained one year. He came to Kansas in 1858 and located in Linn County, where he pre-empted 160 acres and followed agricultural pursuits. He went to Colorado in 1860 and engaged in mining. Returned to Kansas in 1864. During the war he enlisted and served 100 days in the Seventeenth Kansas Infantry. At the close of the war he farmed for seven years, then went into business at Mound City, Linn Co., Kan., and came to Greeley in March, 1880, at which time he purchased a hardware stock and carried on that line of business for some months, and in January, 1881, became associated with his present partner. This firm is extending its business rapidly. In November, 1882, they opened a branch store at Goodrich, Linn County, with a stock of $3,000 to $4,000, that portion of the business being under the management of J. W. Harrison.
GERALD HOLLEY, meat market and dealer in live-stock, hides, etc., was born in Western New York, November 13, 1849, and reared on a farm. Some years later he moved to the city of Rochester, where he was for two years employed as a bookkeeper. He came to Anderson County, Kan., in October, 1878, located at Central City and for two years followed gardening; afterward moved to Greeley and engaged in agricultural pursuits. In August, 1881, he purchased the meat market of M. Staley, which business he continues and in connection with the same business buys and ships cattle, hides, tallow, etc.
SMITH LATHAN, dealer in stoves and tinware, was born in Franklin County, Kansas, in April, 1860, and four years later accompanied his parents to Greeley. He learned the trade of harness-maker with his father, M. W. Lathen, and followed that occupation for several years. He purchased his present business from T. Z. Stephenson in February, 1882. Mr. Lathen carries a nice stock of about $600 to $1,000. He manufactures tinware and is building up quite a nice trade. He is the only one here engaged in this special line of business.
ROTH & LYON, general merchants. This firm is composed of W. G. Roth and C. H. Lyon. The business was established in 1874 by Henry Calvert and in 1877 Mr. Lyon was admitted as a partner. Two years later Mr. Calvert sold out his interest to W. G. Roth and the firm changed as above. The firm do a large and increasing business, to supply the demands of which they carry a stock of about $9,000. W. G. Roth, of this firm, is a native of Allegheney County, Pa., where he followed agricultural pursuits. He came to Greeley, Kan., in 1878, and previous to entering into the business was employed in the Greeley Mills. C. H. Lyon, his partner, was born in Mercer County, Pa., in 1856. Came with his parents to Franklin County, Kan., in 1858. Ten years later they removed to Mount Gilead, Anderson County. He followed mercantile pursuits (as a clerk) at Greeley for several years and in 1877 embarked in this business. Both members of the firm are young and enterprising business men, and they have the oldest continuous business in Greeley.
HON. WILLIAM H. McCLURE, farmer, Section 29, P. O. Greeley, was born in Montgomery County, Ohio, in 1829. He learned the trade of tinner in Germantown in that county, and followed that occupation in various parts of that State until June, 1857, when he came to Anderson County, Kansas. He pre-empted 160 acres in Monroe Township, and improved the same, residing there about five years. In 1862 he went to Paola, where he engaged in hardware business, continuing there until 1869, when he returned to Anderson County and located on his present farm. He has about 300 acres, 200 acres of which are under cultivation. Mr. McClure is making a speciality of wheat growing, in which he is quite successful, and is also raising considerable live-stock of the Durham and Short-horn breed. In 1867 he purchased the east half of Section 30, which included the original town site of Greeley consisting or [sic] 90 acres, a large portion of which he has since disposed of. Mr. McClure was a member of the last Territorial legislature of Kansas. He is one of the enterprising and successful farmers in this section of the country.
EDWARD A. MOREY, dealer and manufacturer of harness, saddlery, etc., was born at Cairo, Ill., January 17, 1860. His parents emigrated to Miami County, Kan., in July, 1869, and located at Paola. Here the subject of this sketch attended school for some years. His father removed to Baldwin City some years later and opened in mercantile business, his son assisting him in conducting the store. In April, 1880, Edward Morey went to Garnett, where he learned the trade of harness-maker. In September, 1882, he came to Greeley and purchased the business from W. T. Weldon. He carries a stock of about $800 to $1,000, has a nice trade and employs two men in the manufacturing department.
DANIEL W. SMITH, real estate, etc., was born in Butler County, Ohio, December 6, 1829, and twelve years later accompanied his parents to Preble County, where after reaching the age of maturity he followed agricultural pursuits. He came to Kansas in October, 1859, and located in Walker Township, Anderson County, and for fifteen years followed farming. In 1863 he was appointed postmaster at Greeley, which position he retained until 1869, and in the fall of 1870 was re-appointed and still retains the office. In connection with this he conducts a real estate and insurance business and carries a stock of stationery, etc. He has also a good farm of 140 acres adjoining the town. Mr. Smith was first elected Justice of the Peace in 1860 and held the office off and on up to 1880. He has been notary public for the past fifteen years.
DELOS WALKER, M. D., was born on a farm two miles south of Conneautville, Crawford Co., Pa., October 19, 1837. He received his preliminary education at Conneautville Academy. He having manifested an inclination for medical pursuits, his education was conducted with this object in view, but when the war of the Rebellion broke out he deferred his studies. On April 27, 1861, he enlisted in Company D, Colonel McLean's regiment, and was made Orderly Sergeant. He served three months, and on returning home, entered the Medical Department of the Michigan University. At the end of one term the call for Volunteers became more urgent, and he enlisted for nine months in the One Hundred and Thirty-seventh Pennsylvania Infantry, and was given the rank of Captain. In the following year he was elected Major, in which he continued for his full term of service. Participated in the battles of South Mountain, Antietam, Fredericksburg, and Chancellorsville. At the expiration of the term for which he had enlisted, Major Walker again returned to Michigan University, graduating with the class of 1864. He first began the practice of his profession at Medina, Michigan, afterward going to his former place of residence, Conneautville, Pa., and was soon appointed Examining Surgeon of the Twentieth Provost District, which he retained until February, 1865, when he again entereed military service, and taking charge of eight companies of Infantry, went to Roanoke Island, and completed the re-organization of the old One Hundred and Third Pennsylvania Regiment. He was Lieutenant-Colonel of the Regiment at the close of the war. He settled at Union City, Pa., and again entered upon the duties of his profession, and was appointed United States Examining Surgeon, and also Surgeon of the Philadelphia & Erie Railroad. In February, 1867, he came to Kansas and settled at Greeley, Anderson County, where he has a large practice, and enjoys an enviable reputation. The Doctor was married in 1860, to Miss Emerette Greenfield, of Crawford County, Pa.
HON. JOHN D. WAIT, merchant, was born in Delaware County, N. Y., January 3, 1836, and was reared on a farm. In 1856, he removed to Pike County, Ill., where he followed agricultural pursuits, and also worked as a carpenter. In August, 1863, he enlisted in Company E, Ninety-first Illinois Infantry. Was promoted to Second Lieutenant in the following December, and resigned in March, 1864, after which he followed agricultural and mechanical pursuits in Pike County. Mr. Wait came to Kansas in the spring of 1869, and located in Liberty Township, Linn County, where he improved a farm, and followed agricultural pursuits for about twelve years. In the fall of 1879, he was elected to the State Legislature, to represent Linn County. Mr. Wait came to Greeley in November, 1881, and purchased his present business from H. Decanniere; he has increased his trade largely since that time, and carries a nice stock of about $7,000 to supply the demand of the same. Mr. Wait is an enterprising merchant, displays a considerable energy, and is building up a fine business in this locality.
During the earlier years, the schoolhouse was located at some distance from the town, but in the fall of 1879, a schoolhouse was built in the northeastern part of the village, and a term of school taught therein the same fall, by G. W. Patterson.
The town made no progress until within the past three years. There are now two stores, a schoolhouse, railroad depot, blacksmith and wagon shop, two hotels, a post-office, and a few dwellings. The population is now about one hundred and fifty. The principal industry is the baling and shipping of hay, which amounts to several thousand tons annually. There are two large steam-presses in operation, one started in 1879, and the other in 1881.
There are no church buildings, though religious services are held regularly. The United Presbyterian Church was organized in September, 1879, Rev. C. H. Strong officiating. Soon afterward the Methodist Episcopal Church organized a society and built a parsonage. The Presbyterians are now making arrangements to organize a society.
B. F. HENRY, stock-raiser, Section 30, P. O. Garnett, is a native of Clarke County, Ohio where he was reared on a farm. In 1872 he moved to De Witt County, Ill., where he followed agricultural pursuits for two years. He came to Anderson County, Kan., August 21, 1874, and located at Central City, and was for three years engaged in buying and shipping live-stock. He then went to Garnett, clerked for M. L. White, in the grocery business, and in 1878 entered into partnership with him; a year later he sold out his interest and moved on to his present farm, which consists of 1,200 acres, 350 of which are in cultivation, the balance he uses for stock purposes. His principal business is fattening cattle for the Eastern markets. He carries on an average about 250 head. His land is located near the head of Cedar Creek, has abundance of water, and his stock-raising facilities are second to none in the county.
COLONY, PART 1.
This thriving village is situated on the high upland prairie, in the southern part of Anderson County, on the line of Kansas City, Lawrence & Kansas Southern Railroad, about sixteen miles from Garnett. The location is a pleasant one, but situated as it is on a spur from the Ozark Mountains, it is impossible to obtain well-water, and rain water has to take its place altogether.
The population of Colony is about 400, and is made up of an exceptionally enterprising class of people. The business houses represent nearly all branches of trade, and are all doing well. The adjoining country is fast being settled, and the land brought under cultivation, in consequence of which the town is growing very rapidly.
The history of the village begins with the year 1870, at which time the railroad was completed through the county. A town was laid out, and a depot built on Section 6, Township 22, Range 19. This was done by the railroad company, who named the new place Divide. The plat was recorded August 2, 1870.
Owing to the difficulty in obtaining water, no improvement in the town was made until 1872. A colony had been formed in Ohio and Indiana by Col. Henry Wilson, Col. N. Bostwick, J. J. Fairbanks, J. G. Norton and others, and after examining Colorado and Kansas, Divide station was chosen as the most favorable point at which to locate. The colonists began to arrive early in the year, and by the middle of May, fully one hundred had selected land and most of them began making some improvements. On their arrival they elected Col. Wilson President; J. J. Fairbanks, Vice-President; J. P. Ewing, Secretary; and D. W. Ream, Treasurer. Though at first so large, the colony soon disbanded and the greater number of the settlers returned to the East, some abandoning land on which they had made a payment. A few families remained, however, and have all done well and accumulated property. Of this colony now living on the town site, are only the families of A. G. Perkins and Thomas Bell.
As only a few of the colony remained the town did not improve any until about the year 1879. Up to that time it contained only a store, post-office, blacksmith shop, hotel, and a few other buildings. About the above date the lands adjoining the village were fast being settled and improved, therefore the town began to build up, and has continued to progress until the present time. The greatest growth was in the years 1881 and 1882.
About the middle of August, 1881, a number of the best buildings in the town were swept away by a conflagration. The fire broke out at about half-past six o'clock in the evening in a meat market, between the hotel and a large store. The building was soon in flames, which was rapidly communicated to others, and in a short time the Empire House, Roberts' meat market, Buford's store, Dr. Malone's office, Yokum & Matthews' furniture store, and Matthew's grocery were in ashes. But little was saved from any of these houses. Though a hard blow to the losers, it was not long until most of the buildings were replaced.
In the early history of the town, the schoolhouse was about three miles distant, but in 1876, the present school building was built on the town site, and in the fall of the same year a term of school was taught therein by Frank P. Ewing. The school has always been well conducted and now has two departments.
The only newspaper published in the village is the Colony Free Press, J. J. Burke, editor and proprietor. It was established January 5, 1882, and is a bright and newsy paper. In size it is a seven column folio.
The Methodist Episcopal Church.--This church society was organized in 1877, from what was then known as the Deer Creek circuit. The church was built in 1880. The society has about sixty members. Rev. N. T. Ryne is pastor. J. McD. Martin is superintendent of the Sabbath-school.
The Baptist Church.--This church society was organized in 1881, and the church was erected in 1882. The society is in a prosperous condition. Rev. C. J. Coulter is pastor, and C. B. Randall superintendent of the Sabbath-school.
One of the chief industries of the town is the baling and shipping of hay. There are in operation three portable presses, besides two large ones operated by steam-power. The steam presses are owned and operated by Hall & Rogers, who ship fully 15,000 tons of hay annually.
Olive Branch Lodge, A., F. & A. M.--This lodge was instituted in April, 1882, under dispensation. The first officers were: S. C. Varner, W. M.; E. F. Ewing, J. W.; M. Axtell, Treas.; Samuel Mooberry, Sec., Thomas Church, S. W.; J. K. Corbin, S. D. The other members were J. M. Savage, Obid Newcomb and Sylvester Durall. The lodge now numbers sixteen members and is in a prosperous condition.
Knights of Pythias, Prairie Lodge, No. 49.--This lodge was instituted in March, 1882, with J. J. Burke, C. C.; T. P. Turner, K. of R. & S.; James McCartney, P.; E. D. Thomas, V. C.; R. A. Grant, M. at A. The other original members were C. P. Walker, James Walker, W. S. Roberts, W. N. Marshall, J. McD. Martin, J. Biben, C. P. Richardson, E. E. Varner, and J. O. Smith. The lodge now numbers twenty-three members and is in a flourishing condition. The present officers are: Dr. E. D. Thomas, C. C.; T. J. Turner, V. C.; McD. Martin, P. J.; J. O. Smith, K. of R. & S.; J. L. Bibens, M. of E., R. M. Gaut, M. of F.; J. F. Walker, M. at A.