KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS


Andreas' History of the State of Nebraska

Saunders County
Produced by
Jennifer Beatty.


PART 1:

Topography and Geology | First Settlers and Early History
A Reminiscence | Creeks of Saunders County | Political History

PART 2:
County Organization | County Progress | Education
PART 3:

Wahoo:   Early History | Political History | Religious | Schools | Societies | Manufacturing
PART 4:
Biographical Sketches
PART 5:
Ashland:   Business Interests | Schools | Societies | Religious
PART 6:
Ashland:   Biographical Sketches
PART 7:
Valparaiso:   Biographical Sketches
PART 8:










Chapman Precinct:   Biographical Sketches
Douglas Precinct: | Biographical Sketch
Rock Creek Precinct
Clear Creek:   Biographical Sketches
Chester Precinct | Marietta Precinct
Alvin (Mead P. O.):   Biographical Sketches
Elk Precinct:   Biographical Sketch
Richland Precinct | Center Precinct | Newman Precinct
Miscellaneous Biographies

List of Illustrations in Saunders County Chapter

Part 6.


BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

   SAMUEL S. ABBOTT, confectionery and restaurant, Ashland. Came to Nebraska in 1873, and located near Ashland and commenced farming, which he followed but a short time, then moved to Ashland and engaged in the business he is now in. He is a member of the First Baptist Church of Ashland. Was married in 1862 to Miss Marinda A. Pickett, of Illinois. Mr. Abbott was born October 12, 1840, in Franklin County, Ind.

   JOSEPH ARNOLD, lawyer and justice of the peace, at Ashland. Mr. Arnold came to Nebraska in 1864, and took up a homestead four miles south of the present town of Ashland. Here he remained only one year, when he moved to Ashland and engaged at burning lime, which he followed during the years 1865-'66. This being the first lime burned in Saunders County. In the spring of 1867 he went back on his farm, where he remained, improving his farm till August, 1872, then returned to Ashland. He was then appointed Justice of the Peace, by Board of County Commissioners, in which office he has served since, except three years. Upon taking this office he began reading law, and was admitted to practice before Hon. George B. Lake, in September, 1874. Was elected to State Legislature, from Cass County, in 1865, and was one of the framers of the First Constitution in Nebraska, under which it was admitted as a State. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., Saunders Lodge, No. 17, at Ashland; and also one of the original members of First Baptist Church at Ashland, and is a faithful and active member of that society. Was born in St. Lawrence County, N. Y., September 11, 1833. Was married October 14, 1860, in Jackson County, Mich., to Miss Geraldine Reynolds of that State. They have ten children, nine of whom are now living.

   JOHN P. AUGHE, farmer, Section 29, Clear Creek Precinct, P. O. Ashland, was born in Clinton County, Ind., January 8, 1834, came to Nebraska in September, 1856, and located on Four Mile Creek, in Cass County, Plattsmouth Precinct, and in February, 1857 came to Saunders County and made a claim on Wahoo Creek, where he resided till April, 1864, except during the time when he made several trips across the plains, freighting, etc. Was married in 1859, to Miss Cecelia D. Throckmorton, of Cass County, Neb., who was born in Ohio. They have two children living--John R. and Florence E. Mrs. A. was one of the first school teachers in Saunders County, and was one of the original members of Methodist Episcopal Church in Saunders County. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., Saunders Lodge, No. 17.

   WILLIAM G. BENTLEY, lumber merchant at Ashland, came to Nebraska in 1879, and located at Ashland, and opened the lumber yard where he is now. Although Mr. Bentley is comparatively a new settler at Ashland, yet he is a gentleman highly respected, is a man of integrity, and is a liberal contributor to all public enterprises, for the good and welfare of Ashland and Saunders County. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.

   SAMUEL G. BRYAN, was born in Lawrence County, Ind., November 7, 1843. Occupation, farmer and stock raiser. Living now on Section 27, Township 13, Range 9, Clear Creek Precinct, P. O. Ashland. He came with his parents from Lawrence Co., Ind., in the fall of 1845. They settled in St. Clair County, Ill., near Lebanon. Lived there with his parents until the breaking out of the rebellion, then enlisted August 13, 1862, in the One Hundred and Seventeenth Regiment, Illinois Volunteers, served until the close of the war, received an honorable discharge August 11, 1865, returning home, engaged in farm pursuits, spending two years at Eureka College, Ill.; leaving college in January, 1875, came to Ashland, Saunders Co., Neb., January 20, 1875, and located near where he now lives, and moved in his present place July, 1877. It being the farm that had the first furrow plowed on in Saunders County. Was married September 27, 1876, in Lincoln, Neb., to Miss Mary M. Sharrar. His family consists of three daughters. Was elected to the office of County Commissioner for the term of three years in the fall of 1879. Mr. B. is a member of the Christian Church in Green Precinct, and was one of the original members of that society, which was organized in 1879, with a membership of twenty-five. At present the membership is nearly double. Mrs. B. is a member of the Congregational Church, at Ashland.

   WILLIAM J. BUTT, meat market and dealer in live stock, came to Nebraska, Dec. 23, 1869, and started to work by the month for Col. Johnson in his meat market, where he remained until August, 1870; then started a shop for himself, which was the second shop started at Ashland, which he has continued to run since. Was born in Fountain County, Ind., September 6, 1842. Was married in Indiana, December 17, 1862, to Miss Sarah O. Jones, of Warren County, Ind. They have five children. Mr. and Mrs. Butt are both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Ashland.

   LYMAN R. BRUSH, was born in Waterloo, Wis., May 8, 1854, of the firm of Brush Bros., druggists at Ashland; came to Nebraska in the year 1864, with his parents, who located on a farm six miles north of where the present village of Ashland now is. He came to Ashland in 1869 and started to clerk for Dr. Wm. M. McClurg. Here he remained about two years, then engaging with this firm, till spring of 1877, when he bought out Mr. Marble and then ran the store himself up to 1879, when his brother, Hobart, went in partnership with him. He was married December, 1879, to Miss Drue Taylor, who is a native of Illinois. They have one daughter. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., Saunders' Lodge, No. 17. Hobart Brush, of the above firm, was born in Buffalo, N. Y., June 25, 1839, came to Nebraska in 1863, one year previous to his parents, locating at Omaha and came to Saunders County in 1867, and took up a homestead in Section 2, in Clear Creek Precinct, where he remained till 1873, when he came to Ashland and opened a drug store. He was the first County Clerk of Saunders County. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Ashland Lodge, No. 18. Was married November 6, to Miss Mary E. Johnson, who is an old settler of Cass County, Neb. Their family consists of five children, two sons and three daughters.

   ALBERT B. CHAMBERLAIN, Postmaster of Ashland, came to Nebraska in spring of 1869, first locating at Omaha and Plattsmouth for the winter of 1869, and remaining at the latter place, clerking in general merchandise store, till August, 1870, when he moved to Ashland and took charge of a store, for the firm of Doom Bros. This position he held until 1873, when he was appointed Postmaster at Ashland, and has held that position to the great satisfaction of the public since. He served as a soldier in the late war, in One Hundred and Thirty-third Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Company D. He is a member of the First Baptist Church at Ashland and A., F. & A. M., was born in Massachusetts, December 4, 1841. Was married in Illinois in 1866, to Miss Martha D. Flagg. They have two children.

   BENJAMIN S. CLARK, hardware store, etc., Ashland; came to Nebraska in the spring of 1873, and located at Ashland, and started to clerk in a hardware store, for the firm of Morris & Marble. Here he was engaged nearly two years, when the firm changed to Cole & Morris, and for them he continued over two years, or till March, 1877, when he opened a store for himself, with only a stock of $500, and now he carries a stock of more than $5,000, and all paid for. He was born at Bellevue, Huron Co., Ohio, October 16, 1845. Enlisted in the late war in the year 1862, at Atlanta, Logan Co., Ill., in Seventh Volunteer Infantry, Company D., and served till the close of the war. He was Mayor of Ashland the two years it held a city charter. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and also G. A. R. Was married May 10, 1871, in State of Illinois, to Miss Mary R. Morris.

   CAPT. JOHN K. CLARKE, auctioneer at Ashland, came to Nebraska, August, 1879, and located at Ashland, where he engaged with his brother who is in the hardware business. He enlisted in the war of the rebellion at Atlanta, Ill., in Seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Company D, and re-enlisted in same regiment July 25, 1861, and served till July 25, 1864, and was in all the engagements of his regiment. He received his first promotion at the battle of Fort Donelson, for meritorious services, January 12, 1862, as Second Lieutenant, and First, June 1, at Pittsburgh Landing, for the same cause, and to that of Captain, October 5, 1862, and served as such till mustered out. Was born in Huron County, Ohio, December 22, 1841. Was married July 1, 1869, to Miss Lena E. Sherman, of New Jersey. He is a member of the G. A. R. and is Commander of the Bob McCook Post, No. 31. He is also member of the A., F. & A. M. His company took the prize at the soldiers' reunion at Lincoln, Neb., in 1881.

   DANIEL D. COOLEY, assistant cashier, Bank of Ashland, came to Nebraska September, 1870, and located at Ashland and engaged as clerk with Lunninger & Reynolds, general merchandise store, and in the spring of 1871 opened a general store, in company with a Mr. Coburn, near where the present town of Wahoo now is, which he ran until January, 1875, when he sold out and moved back to Ashland, and formed a co-partnership with O. E. Reynolds, which he continued one year, then engaging with the Continental Insurance Company, which he followed up to 1879, then forming a partnership with A. B. Fuller, which now is run under the firm name of Fuller & Cooley; they are also land agents for the B. & M. and U. P. R. R. Cos. Was born in Susquehanna County, Penn., April 15, 1850. Was married in Steuben County, N. Y., in 1873, to Miss Frances R. Ames. They are both members of the Episcopal Church and Mr. Cooley is at present Sunday school superintendent.

   HENRY W. CURTIS, senior member of the firm of H. W. Curtis & Co., dealers in agricultural implements, came to Nebraska in 1869 and located on a farm three miles south of Ashland. Here he resided till 1872, when he moved to Ashland and started a general merchandise store, which he run one year and then moved to Seward, Neb., where he bought grain, and he also bought grain at Sutton, in Clay County, a short time, and in fall of 1874 moved back to Ashland and went into his present business. Then in 1875 W. A. Harnsberger became a member of the above firm and they are now one of the largest and most reliable firms in that line of Saunders County. Mr. Curtis was born in Wyoming County, N. Y., September 23, 1839. He has served as a member of the Town Board of Ashland, six term, as treasurer. William A. Harnsberger, junior member of the above firm, came to Nebraska with his father in 1866, who settled in Cass County, where he remained till 1874, when he came to Ashland. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., Ashland Lodge, No. 17.

   JAMES DANLEY, dealer in live stock, Ashland, came to Nebraska, July, 1865, and located at Plattsmouth, where he was engaged at freighting across the plains, out as far as Fort Hills, or the foot of Medicine Bow Mountain, in Wyoming Territory, usually taking about three months to make the trip. In 1868 moved on a farm, Section 32, Salt Creek Precinct, Cass Co. Here he resided until 1872, when he went in the live stock business, which he has followed since and in the year 1881 shipped over 100 car loads of stock from Ashland. Was born in Scott County, Ill., May 1, 1829. Was married in Iowa, to Miss Anna Henderson, of Darke County, Ohio. They have six children.

   DAVID DEAN, son of Dennis Dean, and of the firm of Dean & Son, lumber and coal merchants at Ashland, came to Ashland in spring of 1864, with his parents. David remained with his father in the milling business, up to 1871, when he opened a lumber yard at Ashland, it being one of the first lumber yards in Saunders County. They are also proprietors of a large lumber yard at South Bend and at Springfield, Sarpy County, Neb., which was started in 1879. They are also proprietors of the Sarpy County Bank at Springfield, which was established in fall of 1881, being operated by S. O. Salzburg as cashier. David is a member of the First Baptist Church, at Ashland, and also member of I. O. O. F. and is a charter member of the Saunders Lodge No. 17. Was born June 7, 1852, in Steuben County, Ind. Was married in the year 1872, to Miss Agnes E. Davis, of Columbus, Ohio. They have four children, two sons and two daughters.

   JOSIAH J. DECK, farmer, Section 8, Clear Creek Precinct, P. O. Ashland. Came to Nebraska in October, 1868, and took up the homestead where he now lives. Was born April 14, 1839, in State of Pennsylvania. Was married in 1866 to Miss Margaret A. Eyer, of Pennsylvania. Mr. D. enlisted in the late war, in Thirty-fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Company D, and served three years and eleven months, or to the close of the war. Was in twenty-seven different engagements. Their family consists of six children, five girls and one boy.

   COL. RODNEY DEXTER, carpenter and builder, Ashland, came to Nebraska in January, 1868, and located at Ashland, and took up a claim, but soon afterward began working at the carpenter business, which he followed till fall of 1880; then he started to travel as commercial agent. Was born in Ontario County, N. Y., December 25, 1833. Enlisted in the late war at Buffalo, N. Y., in One Hundredth New York Volunteer Infantry, Company B, in 1861, as private, and served until the close, when he was mustered out at New York City, in November, 1865, as Lieutenant Colonel; was in sixty-four different engagements. He was one of the original members of Methodist Episcopal Church at Ashland, and has always been one of its most active members. Is a member of I. O. O. F., Saunders Lodge, No. 17. Was married in the State of Michigan, to Miss Cordelia E. Cram, who was born in New York State in 1834. They have one daughter, Cora V., now Mrs. Charles H. Merrill, of Ashland.

   HON. ABEL B. FULLER, farmer and sheep and stock raiser, came to Nebraska in 1862 and located at Ashland in 1863 and opened a general merchandise store and also engaged at freighting overland from Plattsmouth to the mountains in connection with his store. This he followed until 1867, when he took up the real estate business and was appointed land agent for B. & M. and U. P. R. R. Co.'s, which position he still holds in company with D. D. Cooley. Was member of Legislature from Nebraska Territory in years 1865-66, and from State in 1867. Was Deputy County Clerk of Saunders County 1868-69. Is member of Episcopal Church and was one of the original members of that society at Ashland. He is also a member of A., F. & A. M., and was one of Charter members of Ashland Lodge No. 18. Was the first master of that lodge and served as such eight years. Was married in 1870 to Miss Violetta Laverty, of Michigan. Mr. Fuller being also a native of that State, being born November 26, 1837. He is now Chairman of Town Board of Ashland, and was one of the first Board of Regents of Nebraska State University at Lincoln.

   HENRY M. FLANDERS, of the firm of Seely & Flanders, blacksmiths, Ashland, came to Nebraska in 1869 and started a blacksmith shop, which was the second shop started at Ashland, this he followed up to 1872. Then he took up a homestead in Section 22, in Green Precinct, Saunders County. Here he resided until 1876, when he moved back to town, and formed a co-partnership with W. A. Seely. Was born in State of Maine, December 3, 1845. Is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and also of the I. O. O. F., Saunders Lodge No. 17. Was married in 1866 to Miss Mary Miller, of Illinois. They have one daughter, Emma L.

   RICHARD GRAY, M. D. He came to Nebraska in May, 1871, and located at Ashland, where he commenced to practice his profession, and is now the oldest resident physician in Ashland. he was a graduate of the Medical College of Ohio, at Cincinnati, in the year 1853. He commenced his practice in Cincinnati, where he remained till 1862, when he was appointed Assistant Surgeon Twenty-first Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served in that position till the close of the war, after which he returned to Ohio and practiced in Coshocton County, till he moved to Nebraska. Was married to his first wife, Miss Amanda C. Arthur, in State of Kentucky in 1861, who died in 1866. Was married to his second wife in 1868, Sarah J. Wilson, of Ohio. He is a leading member of the Protestant Episcopal Church at Ashland. Was born in London, England.

   CHARLES B. HACKNEY, proprietor of Exchange Hotel, at Ashland, came to Nebraska in 1878, located at Greenwood, Cass County, where he started a general merchandise store. Here he continued this business till he came to Ashland, and took charge of the Exchange Hotel, which is one of the finest hotels in Saunders County. Mr. H. while a resident at Greenwood, was correspondent for the Omaha Bee, a daily paper, and also the Plattsmouth Herald. He enlisted in the war of the Rebellion, at Durand, Wis., in Twenty-fifth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, Company G, in fall of 1863, and served till the close of the war. Was born in Ohio, Perry County, 1839, May 13. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., also I. O. O. F., Saunders Lodge No. 17. Was married in Jackson County, Wis., to Miss Lottie A. Dillabo. They have two children, Nellie B. and Harry C.

   SAMUEL B. HALL, meat market, Ashland, came to Nebraska in 1868, and located at Ashland, and at the same time took up a homestead eight miles south of the village in Cass County, on Section 18, in Elmwood Precinct, where he resided till 1877. Then he came to town and started a meat market. At present he is one of the Town Trustees of Ashland, and is also a member of I. O. O. F., Saunders Lodge No. 17. Mr. Hall enlisted in the war of the Rebellion in 1861, at Clinton, Ill., in Forty-first Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Company F., and served until 1864, and is now a member of the G. A. R., Bob McCook's Post No. 31. Was born in New Hampshire, September 20, 1841; was married in Illinois in the year 1866 to Miss M. Alice Morris, of Indiana. They have five children. They are both members of the Congregational Church at Ashland.

   JAMES R. HAYWARD, farmer, Section 18, Clear Creek Precinct, P. O. Ashland. Mr. H. first came to Nebraska in 1860, on passing through to Colorado, and being favorably impressed with the country, he concluded to come to the State and settle, which he did in 1866, and located on the place where he now lives. He was one of the first settlers in that locality, and at that time could almost any day step to his door and see deer bounding over the prairie. He has served as County Commissioner since he came to Saunders County, and also was Assessor of Clear Creek Precinct two terms. Was born in Ashtabula County, Ohio, August 20, 1838. Was married in that county to Miss Phebe M. Dean in 1861.

   EDWARD W. HUTCHISON, farmer and stock raiser, Section 20, Clear Creek Precinct, P. O. Ashland, was born in Christian County, Ky., Feb. 23, 1830. He came to Nebraska in 1857 and pre-empted a piece of land ten miles west of Omaha, and in 1858 started freighting across the plains, from Fort Leavenworth to Salt Lake City, Utah. It took about eighty days to make the trip, with a team of six yoke, drawing usually about sixty hundred pounds, with a team for which they received $25 per hundred. This business he followed from 1858 to 1866. Mr. H. was also engaged as a guide for the surveyors of the B. & M. R. R. Co., in surveying that road through. Mr. H. made his home at Plattsmouth from 1858 to 1875, when he moved to Saunders County and located on the farm where he now lives. He served as one of the volunteer soldiers in the Indian War after the massacre at New Ulm, Minn. Was married in Bloomington, Ill., in 1853, to Miss Ellen M. Parmele, of Ogdensburg, N. Y. She was born in Pottsdam, N. Y. They have five children, viz.: Joseph E., born May 8, 1854, in Illinois; Woodson K., born at Falls City, Neb., July 22, 1859; Ned W. was born in Plattsmouth, Neb., 1865; Allie V., born in Nebraska, July 1, 1869; Mattie, born in Nebraska, Feb. 19, 1872.

   ALEX. E. JENKS, nursery and gardener, Ashland, Section 1, Ashland Precinct, P. O. Ashland, came to Nebraska in 1867 and located in Cass County, at South Bend, on farm where he resided till 1872; then moved where he now lives, and started the nursery business, which was the first nursery in Saunders County. Was elected Justice of the Peace at Ashland in 1879; was born at Albany, N. Y., March 15, 1815. Was married at Albany, N. Y., in 1835, to Miss Elizabeth A. Halenbeck, who died in 1850, by whom he had two children. Was married to his present wife in 1851, Miss Frances J. Niles, of Rensselaer County, N. Y.

   JACOB JOHNSON, harness maker, came to Nebraska in 1875 and located at Ashland, and started to work at his trade for T. J. Chastain, and continued in his employ four years and then bought the shop of his former employer one year ago, consolidating both shops into one, which he has continued since. Was born in Franklin County, Pa., May 4, 1841. Enlisted in the late war from Pennsylvania in 1864 in Twenty-second Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry, Company H, and served till November, 1865. Is a member of the I. O. O. F. and is the present N. G. of Saunders Lodge, No. 17. Was married in Pennsylvania, in 1863, to Miss Catherine Donnelly, of Pennsylvania. They have six children, viz.: Maggie R., Annie M., Benjamin W., Frank A., Addie M. and Ora E.

   JACOB A. JURY, bookkeeper and salesman of the firm of Dean & Sons, Ashland, came to Nebraska in 1870 and located at Plattsmouth, where he remained till 1871, then moving to Ashland, and in the year 1874 he engaged with the above firm, where he has remained in faithful duty since. Mr. Jury was born in Licking County, Ohio, February 23, 1840. He enlisted in the war of the rebellion in 1861, in Seventy-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Company G, and served three years and eleven months. He enlisted as private soldier and was mustered out Brevet Major Assistant Adjutant General of First Brigade, First Division, of Fifteenth Army Corps. He also served one year as Town Treasurer of Ashland, and was Representative from Saunders County in the legislature two years. Was married in the year 1866 at Newark, Licking County, Ohio, to Miss Lizzie M. Bussey.

   JOHN KRIEGELSTEIN, livery and sale stable, Ashland, came to Nebraska in 1864 and located first at Omaha and engaged at freighting across the plains, with the firm known as the Gardner & Truman, from Omaha to the Rocky Mountains, which he followed three years, and then for the next five years he went in the live stock business in Sarpy County, Neb., and also two years in Saunders County, and in December, 1878, started a livery and sale stable at Ashland. Was born in Wyoming County, N. Y., February 17, 1843. Was married in Genesee County, N. Y., in 1872 to Miss Phoebe Terry, of New York. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., Saunders Lodge, No. 17.

   

Portrait
[Portrait of A. S. Mansfelde, M. D.]

   ALEX. S. MANSFELDE, M. D., Ashland. Came to Nebraska March 9, 1875, and located at Lincoln from whence he removed to Ashland, May 1, 1878. Was born in Prussia, December 21, 1845, received his literary education and classical course of studies in his native country. He emigrated to the United States in 1861 and took up a preparatory course of medical studies in a drug store at Fort Wayne, Ind., and afterward from 1866 to 1868 was a student at the Rush Medical College of Chicago, where he graduated in the class of 1872. He is at present the secretary of the Nebraska State Medical Society. Is a member of the Rush Medical College Alumni Association and Professor of General Pathology in the Omaha Medical College. A member of the I. O. O. F., Saunders Lodge No. 17. He was secretary of the first Liberal League, which was established at Lincoln, Neb. Was married in Chicago in 1868 to Miss Julia Labhart, who was born in that city. They have four children.

   FRANK W. McINTYRE, general merchandise, Ashland. Came to Nebraska in 1868 and located seven miles northwest of Ashland on a farm which he homesteaded on Section 18, Clear Creek Precinct. Here he resided until September, 1881, when he moved to Ashland and took charge of the store where he now is. Was born in Ashtabula County, Ohio, July 31, 1836. Was married in Ohio to Miss Sylia Woodbury of Jefferson, Ashtabula Co., Ohio, August 31, 1858. They have two children living, Lewis B. and Delia M., now Mrs. A. G. Nelson of Saunders County.

   GEORGE N. MULERTZ, dealer in agricultural implements, came to Nebraska in 1871 and located at South Bend, Cass Co., where he first engaged at farming and afterward in the well boring business. He has continued since in the farm machinery business. Came to Ashland in January, 1880, where he now lives. Was born in Lake County, Ill., June 2, 1851. Was married at Ashland in the year 1881 to Miss Mary Pilford, who is a native of New York State.

   SILAS H. NICHOLS, furniture and undertaker, Ashland, came to Nebraska in 1869, and located at Ashland, where he opened the first furniture store in Saunders County. He has served as Justice of the Peace several terms, and was the first mover in organizing the lodge of I. O. O. F. at Ashland, and was a charter member of Saunders Lodge, and served as the first Noble Grand of the Lodge. He is also a member of the A., F. & A. M. Mr. Nichols owns at present the finest residence in Saunders County, which was erected in the year 1881. He has always been one of the foremost men in all public welfares in Ashland, and was one of the school directors in 1870 and 1871 when the large graded school building was erected and took a very active part in its erection, and has worked with untiring energy for the interest of Ashland and Saunders County. Was born in Onondaga County, N. Y., November 7, 1822. Was married to his first wife, Miss Nancy B. Haynes, in New York in 1844, who died in 1864, by whom he had six children. Was married to his second wife, Ursula Dennis, in 1867, by whom he has one daughter.

   HIRAM J. PADDOCK, retired merchant at Ashland. Came to Nebraska in April, 1868, and located at Omaha, where he engaged with the U. P. R. R. Co., and contracted their wood sawing all along the line. This he continued until 1870 when he moved to Ashland and built and opened the first store where the business part of the city is now, and the lumber of which it was built was brought by teams from Omaha. Was born in Utica, N. Y., July 30, 1815.

   WILLIAM C. PATTON, deceased, was born in Newburgh, Orange Co., N. Y., August 14, 1827. Came to Nebraska in the fall of 1872 and first located at Lincoln, and in the fall of 1873 came to Ashland and in the fall of 1874 started the store which is still run by his sons, W. H. and George M. Patton, under the old firm name. He was married October 28, 1852, to Miss Alexandra V. Munn, of New York. He died January 23, 1877, and was a man of whom it will be recorded in the history of Ashland, was a true and faithful citizen and one of its leading business men at the time of his death.

   ELWIN M. PARK, M. D., druggist at Ashland. He came to Nebraska in 1872 and started to practice his profession. Was a graduate of Chicago Medical College in the year 1868 and started his first practice in Marion County, Iowa. He received his literary education at Lawrence University, at Appleton, Wis. Enlisted in the Fortieth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, Company K., in 1864 and served four months in the late war. Was born in Vermont, Windsor County, March 22, 1847. He served as a member of the City Council of Ashland two years. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and was married in the state of Iowa in 1869 to Miss Lavina M. McNeill.

   JAMES I. PAUL, farmer, came to Nebraska in 1863 and located at Omaha where he started a wagon shop which he run six years and then in 1871 moved to Sarpy County on a farm and made a specialty of stock raising, where he resided till 1876. Then moved his family to Ashland, Saunders County. Was born in Otsego County, N. Y., June 1, 1839. Was married at Omaha in 1866 to Miss Ann L. Robison, who was born in Illinois. They have four children living, viz.: Annie May, Ida G., Flora M., Louisa L., and also one son, James R., who died in September, 1881.

   F. J. PICKETT, JR., editor of Ashland Gazette.

   ORION A. PIERCE, livery and sale stable, Ashland. He came to Nebraska in 1868 from Vermont in company with six other men from Washington County, who all settled near Ashland and took up land and went to farming. Mr. Pierce himself settled on Section 26, Green Precinct, where he resided seven years, when he moved to Ashland and was appointed Deputy Sheriff under John Moore and in 1877 he went to the Black Hills at the time of the mining excitement, but returned the same year and in January, 1878, started in his present business. Was born in the town of Calais, Washington Co., Vt., August 28, 1841. Enlisted in the late war in the Third Vermont Volunteer Infantry, Company K, in 1861, and served three years. Was married in 1864, Dec. 29, to Miss Sophia Orcutt, of Vermont. They have one daughter, Laura A. Mr. Pierce is a member of A., F. & A. M., also I. O. O. F., Saunders Lodge, No. 17, and G. A. R., McCook's Post No. 31.

   RUSSEL D. PINE, house and sign painter, senior member of the firm of Pine & McKinney. Mr. Pine came to Ashland and started a shop in August, 1873, with John P. Brook, his wife's brother, which they ran till 1881, when the firm of Pine & McKinney was organized. Mr. Pine was born in Lee County, Ill., August 16, 1842; is son of Horace and Harriet Pine, of Illinois, who were among the early settlers of DeKalb and Lee counties. Was married March 28, 1872, in Illinois, to Miss Katie Brook. He enlisted in the late war, June, 1861, in Fifty-third Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Company D, and served until the close of the war, and was in twenty-eight different engagements. He is a member of the G. A. R., of Nebraska, Bob McCook Post, No. 31.

   LOREAN M. PUTNEY, farmer and Justice of the Peace, Section 13, Green Precinct, P. O. Ashland, was born in Ashtabula County, Ohio, in 1831, April 3; came to Nebraska in 1866, and located in Green Precinct, on the same section of land that his farm is now in. Has served as Justice of the Peace ten years. Was married in 1855, to Miss Caroline C. Payne, of Ashtabula County, Ohio. They have three children.

   JACOB SAUNDERS, farmer, Section 26, Clear Creek Precinct, P. O. Ashland, came to Nebraska in fall of 1863, and located on the farm where he now lives. His brother William came with him at the same time, and located a short distance north of him. They were among the first settlers in that vicinity. Mr. S. was born in the State of Pennsylvania, October 6, 1834; enlisted in the war of the Rebellion in Thirty-fourth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, Company G, in spring of 1862; was discharged in 1863, on account of disability. Was married in Iowa, to Miss Siche M. Robinson. Their family consists of two children, Cora F. and Merritt H. He was the first Probate Judge elected in Saunders County, serving in years 1868 and '69.

   WILLIAM P. SNELL, dealer in general merchandise, Ashland, came to Nebraska in March, 1865. Located on a farm, four miles east of Ashland, in Cass County. Lived there until the following August, a year, then moved to Saline Ford, now Ashland; then entered in copartnership with his brother, J. H., in general merchandise, second store in the place. Was born in the State of Mississippi, July 8, 1835. Is a member of the First Baptist Church of Ashland. Was married in 1856, to Miss Melise E. Coberly, who was born in Randolph County, W. Va. They have two sons--Luther E. and Asa D.

   JOSEPH STAMBAUGH, farmer and stock raiser, Section 35, Clear Creek Precinct, P. O. Ashland, was born in York County, Pa., March 12, 1823. Is a son of John and Catherine Stambaugh, who were old settlers of Pennsylvania. His mother died in 1858, at an advanced age, and his father died at the age of eighty-seven years. In the year 1842, he left his dear old home, at the age of nineteen years, and came to Ohio, where he started to work at the carpenter trade, in Darke, until the fall of 1845, then went to Michigan, Berrien County, where he continued his carpenter work, and also the wagon making business, which he followed until the fall of 1855, then moved to Fulton County, Ill., where he remained until August, 1856, then moved with his family to Nebraska, and landed at Salt Creek Ford, September 6, 1856, which is now a part of Saunders County, where he lived but one month, and then moved his family back to Cedar Island, and staid all winter, and returned in the spring of 1857, in April, and made some improvement on the claim he had made in the fall of 1856, then returned for his family the first of May, and has made his home there since. He made the first claim in Saunders County. Was married April 14, 1850, in Berrien County, Mich., to Miss Catherine Zemmerman, who was born in Schuylkill County, Pa., September 30, 1832. They have ten children living, viz.: Deliah A., Mary J., George W., John A., Ella R., Emma L., Lorenzo G., Melissa Josephine, Rosa M. and Randolph H.

   ALEXANDER TAYLOR, M. D., came to Nebraska in 1873, and located at Weeping Water, Cass county, where he practiced his profession till June, 1877, when he came to Ashland, and went in partnership with Dr. T. A. Bunnell. Was born in Ohio, Fayette County, August 1823. Was married in Ohio, in 1846, to Miss Harriett A. Shivers, she being also born in Ohio. They are both members of the Congregational Church, and their family consists of seven children.

   JAMES THOMAS, wagon maker, P. O. Ashland, came to Nebraska, and located at Ashland in 1869, and opened a wagon shop, but only run that six months, and then went in the carpenter and builder business, in company with Col. R. Dexter, which he followed till 1875, when he opened the wagon shop, where he is now. Is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and was one of the first trustees of that church, and one of that society's most faithful and active members. Was born in England, January 11, 1834. Emigrated to the United States in 1846. Was married in January, 1859, in New York, to Mrs. Mary A. Holbrook, of New York. They have two children--Ella and Jennie. He is also a member of the I. O. O. F. Saunders Lodge, No. 17.

   JAMES S. TYLER, wagon manufactory, P. O. Ashland, came to Nebraska in the fall of 1878, and located at Ashland, and established the wagon works where he is now, and it is the largest enterprise of the kind in Saunders County. Mr. P. was born in Trumbull County, Ohio, March 1, 1838. Was married at Conneaut, Ashtabula Co., Ohio, in 1867, to Miss Ida Crane, of Ohio. He enlisted in the late war August 4, 1862, in One Hundredth and Fourteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Company K, and served until February, 1865, and was in twenty-two different engagements. Is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and also G. A. R., Bob McCook Post, No. 31.

   REUBEN L. WARBRITTON, farmer, Section 28, Clear Creek Precinct, P. O. Ashland. The subject of this sketch came to the State of Nebraska in August, 1856, and located at Cedar Island, Cass County. Here he resided till the spring of 1857, when he moved to Saunders County, and settled on Section 27, Clear Creek Precinct, about the first of March, 1857, and was the first white settler that moved his family to Saunders County, and made a permanent settlement, moving them from Cedar Island, Cass County, to his claim on Section 27, about the first of April, 1857, and there has continued to live since. Mr. Warbritton was born October 6, 1828, in the State of Indiana. He served as County Clerk of Saunders County the second term after the county was organized. Was married at Frankfort, December 5, 1853, to Miss Hannah J. Aughe, who was born in Ohio, in the year 1832, who is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and has always been a faithful Christian, which she has shown in her action in gathering the children together in their small shanties, sod houses, etc. Taught them their Sunday school lessons before they had any school house or churches. She being one of the original members of the Methodist Episcopal Church class at Ashland. Their family consists of three children, viz.: Sarah J., William J. and James L.

   THEODORE B. WILSON, lawyer, Ashland, came to Nebraska in 1869 and opened a law office at Ashland the same year, and is now the oldest resident lawyer in Saunders County. He received his literary education at Oskaloosa College, Iowa, and graduated at the DesMoines Law School in 1867. He was born in Ohio, October 17, 1842. He was admitted to practice in Nebraska at the first term of court in Saunders County before Judge Lake. He has served as County Attorney of Saunders County a number of years, and was a member of the first Board of Trustees of Ashland. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and was a Charter Member of Saunders Lodge, No. 17. He was married at Terre Haute, Ind., in 1874, to Miss Amanda M. Ellis, who was born in Ohio. They have three children.

   LEWIS D. WOLVEN, proprietor of the Snell House at Ashland, came to Nebraska in March, 1872, and located at Ashland. He first started a restaurant, which business he followed till October, 1875, then took charge of the Snell house, and has been there since. He is now the oldest hotel man in Ashland. He was born in Ontario County, N. Y., July 4, 1830; was married in the same county, N. Y., March 1857, to Jane M. Wetmore. They have one daughter, Addie L., now Mrs. H. M. Boydston, of Nebraska City, Neb.




Top of Page   First Page   Back   Next

County Index