KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS


Andreas' History of the State of Nebraska

Saunders County
Produced by
Jennifer Beatty.


PART 1:

Topography and Geology | First Settlers and Early History
A Reminiscence | Creeks of Saunders County | Political History

PART 2:
County Organization | County Progress | Education
PART 3:

Wahoo:   Early History | Political History | Religious | Schools | Societies | Manufacturing
PART 4:
Biographical Sketches
PART 5:
Ashland:   Business Interests | Schools | Societies | Religious
PART 6:
Ashland:   Biographical Sketches
PART 7:
Valparaiso:   Biographical Sketches
PART 8:










Chapman Precinct:   Biographical Sketches
Douglas Precinct: | Biographical Sketch
Rock Creek Precinct
Clear Creek:   Biographical Sketches
Chester Precinct | Marietta Precinct
Alvin (Mead P. O.):   Biographical Sketches
Elk Precinct:   Biographical Sketch
Richland Precinct | Center Precinct | Newman Precinct
Miscellaneous Biographies

List of Illustrations in Saunders County Chapter

Part 4


BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

   JOHN B. ALLEN, meat market, of the firm Allen & Son, Wahoo, came to Nebraska in the spring of 1871, and settled at Fremont on a farm, where he resided two years. He then moved to Wahoo, and started to run the Wahoo Grist Mill in fall of 1873, and remained there until the spring of 1874, when he started a small grocery store at Wahoo, where he continued until December, 1877, when he sold out and moved over on Otto Creek and run a grist mill for a while. Came back to Wahoo and started a meat market. Was born in Warren County, N. J., February 22, 1832. Is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Wahoo Lodge No. 59. Was married, in 1853 to Miss Mary M. Davison, of Warren County, N. J. They have two sons--William A. and Franklin S.

   

Portrait
[Portrait of Henry Anderson.]

   HENRY ANDERSON, banker, of the firm of Anderson & Griffith, came to Nebraska in 1863 and located at Omaha, where he engaged as Assistant Postmaster from 1865 to 1869, and in the spring of 1870 engaged in the Omaha National Bank as teller, and remained there one year; then went into the First National Bank as general bookkeeper, and in August, 1872, removed to Fremont, Neb., and started a lumber yard, which he followed till the fall of 1875, then moved to Wahoo and started his present bank, which was the first bank in the town and now the oldest in the county. In the fall of 1877 he was elected County Treasurer of Saunders County, and served four years. He established the Bank of Cass County, at Weeping Water. He is a native of Norway, and was born December, 18, 1845. Emigrated to the United States in 1853 with his parents. Was married in Iowa, in 1867, to Miss Carrie Hough, who is also a native of Norway, by whom he has two children. Is a member of the F. & A. M., and served five months in the war of the rebellion, enlisting in June, 1863, in the Seventh Iowa Cavalry.

   N. H. BARNES, hardware dealer, Wahoo, of the firm of Barnes & Stratton, came to Nebraska in March, 1868. Lived in Omaha three years; then lived in Moline, Ill., two and a half years; came back to Omaha in the fall of 1873, and came to Wahoo, in March, 1874, and started a small tin shop, it being the first tin shop in the village of Wahoo, and gradually adding a stock of hardware, etc. He was born in Iowa, June 20, 1852. Was married June 30, in the year 1878, to Miss Eva Manners, of Wahoo. They have one daughter, Georgie. The above firm do about $18,000 worth of business per annum. Mr. B. sold out January 1, 1882, to Mr. Stratton, his partner, and is going to start a variety and department store.

   ERAND H. BAXTER, proprietor of the R. R. Eating House, Wahoo, at the U. P. R. R. depot, and freight agent. Came to Nebraska in March, 1867. Located near Fremont, in Saunders County, where he took up a farm, and resided there until March, 1877, when he moved to Wahoo and engaged with the U. P. R. R. Co. Was born in Sandusky County, Ohio, January 5, 1842. Enlisted in the war of the rebellion in an independent company of sharpshooters, under Captain W. C. Squires, and served fourteen months. Was married to his first wife, Amelia Taylor, in 1867, of Ohio, who died in 1875, by whom he had one son--Clarence E. Was married to his second wife, Della Taylor, sister to his first wife, in 1876, by whom he has one daughter--Maud M.

   CHARLES P. BEEBE, junior member of the firm of J. M. Lee & Co., came to the State of Nebraska with his parents in 1856, who located near where the city of Fremont now is. He lived there till 1872, when he moved to Wahoo and started to dealing in farm machinery, etc. In May, 1874, he formed a partnership with J. M. Lee, which is now the pioneer firm of Wahoo. Mr. Beebe was one of the organizing members of the Town Board of Wahoo. Is also a member of the Reformed Presbyterian Church. Was born at Green Bay, Wis., May 4, 1845. Was married at Fremont, Neb., to Miss Mary A. Lee, in 1867. They have two children.

   JOHN BEERMAKER, hardware and furniture dealer, Wahoo, came to Nebraska in 1869, and took up a homestead in Douglas County, where he resided until 1874, when he moved to Wahoo and opened a furniture store, which was the first furniture store in the town, and in 1875 added the hardware stock. He was born in France, February 1, 1835. Emigrated to the United States with his parents, who located in the State of Ohio, Lorain County, in 1858. Was married to Miss Rebecca A. Wilson, who was born in Ohio. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Wahoo Lodge, No. 59.

   NELSON H. BELL, lawyer, Wahoo; came to Nebraska in October, 1873, and first settled at Ashland, and when the county seat was moved to Wahoo, in December, 1873, he moved there, and was the second lawyer that located in the town. Was born in Oakland County, Mich., December 8, 1838. Was admitted to the bar in Fremont, Iowa, before Judge Day, of that place. He is a member of the F. & A. M., and was a charter member of Wahoo Lodge, No. 59, and served as Secretary to said lodge, five years. Was the third Justice of the Peace of Stocking Precinct, after the organization of the town. Was married in the year 1862, October 23, to Miss Louisa Rose, of Oakland County, Mich.; they have two children--George S. and Emma R.

   OLOF BERGGREN, sale stable, Wahoo; came to Nebraska in 1869, and bought a farm four miles east of the present city of Wahoo, where he resided until 1877; when he moved to the city and started a sale stable; was born in Sweden, 1853. Emigrated to United States with his parents in 1863. Was married in spring of 1881 to Emma Street, she being a native of Sweden. He keeps on hand for sale a stock of thirty-five horses, and owns 160 acres of good farm, all of which is nicely improved.

   OLE R. BRODBOLL, proprietor of Wahoo Grist Mill; came to Nebraska in spring of 1869, and located in Saunders County, where he resided till January, 1878; when he moved to Wahoo, and purchased the Wahoo Grist Mill, in company with Mr. J. Young, from J. C. Flor; the mill has a capacity of about fifty barrels per day; has three run of stone, two of which is used for grinding wheat, and one for corn; this was the first mill in Stocking Precinct, and second mill in the county. Was born in Norway, April 17, 1826, and emigrated to the United States in the year 1868. Was married in Norway in 1855 to Johanna Hanson; they have four children, three of whom were born in Norway, and one in Nebraska. He is a member of the Lutheran Church.

   ANDREW F. CARLSON, of the firm of Ekeley, Carlson & Co., Wahoo; came to Nebraska in 1872, located at Omaha, where he started to work on railroad and constructing bridges, and afterwards went in the sand and ice trade with his present partner, at Omaha, and afterward kept hotel a while; and moved to Wahoo in 1879. Was born in Sweden, May 13, 1845. Emigrated to United States in 1869. Was married at Omaha to Elizabeth Soderlund, in the year 1875; she also being born in Sweden; they have two children.

   SAMUEL G. CHANEY, Clerk of District Court; came to Nebraska in May, 1871, and settled in Saunders County, on Rock Creek, on homestead where he lived, working and improving his farm, till November, 1879, when he was elected to the office of Clerk of District Court for the term of four years, and moved to Wahoo, December 2, 1879. He is a native of the State of Maine; was born September 9, 1837. Enlisted in the war of the Rebellion, in Mercer County, Ill., August 11, 1862, in One Hundred and Second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Company C, and served to the close of the war. Is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Wahoo Lodge, No. 59. Was married December 13, 1860, to Miss Emily Merryman, who was born in the State of Illinois; by whom he has four children.

   CLAY C. CLIFTON, manager of the Wahoo Stock and Grain Company; was born in Columbia County, Wis., May 16, 1848; came to Nebraska in 1875, and located at Ashland, where he went in the live stock business, which he followed there until 1877; then moved to Wahoo, where he went in the stock and grain business, which he ran for himself until January, 1881, when he took charge of the Stock and Grain Company business. Was married December 10, 1870, in Illinois, to Miss Lida A. Doyle; they have two children living.

   JOEL D. COOK, farmer, Section 22, Stocking Precinct, P. O. Wahoo, was born in Bradford County, Penn., August 21, 1843. He enlisted in the Government Medical Department at Philadelphia in 1862, and served ten months, and in 1865 went with the construction corps, and served till the end of the war, then went to Iowa, and returned to Pennsylvania in the spring of 1866. In the spring of 1868 he went to St. Louis, and in May of the same year he came to Nebraska and located at Omaha, and went at once to building a station house and hotel along the line of the U. P. R. R., and in 1869 located on the farm where he now lives, Saunders County, and owns 420 acres of land. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and is a Charter member of Wahoo Lodge, No. 59, and was the first Junior Deacon of the Lodge. He was married in the fall of 1872 to Miss Amanda Upson of Pennsylvania, who died in September, 1874, and by whom he has one daughter, Cora V. He was married to his present wife, Rhoda Upson, in 1875, who is a sister to his first wife. They have three children--Charles A., Clate, and Carrie M.

   CURTIS M. COPP, lawyer and real estate agent, came to Nebraska in 1871, and located about three miles north of the present village of Wahoo, where he started a nursery, and in 1875 came to Wahoo and started to read law with his brother, C. S. Copp, and was admitted to the bar, before Judge Post, in 1878 and commenced to practice at Wahoo. He enlisted in the war of the Rebellion July 14, 1861, in the First Iowa Cavalry, Company C, and was discharged on the 15th of February, 1866, and was in seventy-two engagements. He was born in Tioga County, Penn., June 27, 1838, and was married in 1868 to Miss Hattie E. Blackinton, who was born in Iowa. They have five children.

   DAVID P. CUMMINGS, farmer, Section 18, Stocking Precinct, P. O. Wahoo, was born in Massachusetts, January 20, 1827. He started on his first travelling in the year 1849, at which time he went to California in company with seventy-eight other persons, who fitted out a ship and sailed from New York City. He followed mining in California until 1863, when he returned to Massachusetts. He resided there one year, moved to Illinois, and then to Iowa, where he worked constructing railroads three years, and in 1868 came to Nebraska, and located in Saunders County on the farm where he now lives. He was married in California in 1856 to Miss Lucinda C. Bartlett. They have two children--Alice F. and Lord W. In 1869 Mr. C. drew lumber to build the house on his farm from Iowa and Plattsmouth, Neb., it being the nearest point where it could be obtained at that time. It took him three months to haul the lumber.

   DAVIS & HANCOCK, editors of The Independent, at Wahoo.

   REV. WILLIAM E. DAVIS, Pastor of the Wahoo Methodist Episcopal Church, was born in Spencer County, Ind., September 4, 1835. He is the son of Owen and Elizabeth Davis. He received a common school education in his native State, and entered the ministry in the year 1857, was ordained deacon at Bloomington in the fall of 1859. He enlisted in the war of the Rebellion in the Twenty-seventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Company B, and was commissioned First Lieutenant by Gov. Morton, and afterward Captain of the same company. He was a prisoner of war six months and thirteen days at Salisbury, N. C., Bell Isle and Libby; was exchanged and returned to his regiment, and served until January, 1863, when he resigned on account of disability of health, and returned to Indiana. He re-entered the ministry, and was ordained Elder by Bishop Simpson at Princeton, Ind., in 1865. He remained in that conference until 1881, when he was transferred to Nebraska. He is also author of several works, among which is "Ziba Foot," "The Young Surveyor," and other stories, and was for a number of years regular correspondent for the Evansville Tribune and the Washington Gazette. He was married September 24, 1864, to Miss Elmina E. Davis, who was born in Gibson County, Ind. They came to Wahoo, Neb., in September, 1881.

   

Portrait
[Portrait of H. H. Dorsey.]

   H. H. DORSEY, banker, of the firm of Dorsey Bros., proprietors of the Saunders County Bank, came to Nebraska in 1868, and first located at Fremont, where he started to clerking in a dry-goods store, and afterward in a grocery store, and in 1874 took the position of bookkeeper in the First National Bank at Fremont. Here he remained until 1879, when he moved to Wahoo, Neb., and opened his present bank in company with his brother. He was born in the state of Maryland, March 19, 1857, and was married in October, 1879, to Miss Lou M. Benton.

   

Portrait
[Portrait of W. H. Dickinson.]

   

View
[DICKINSON BLOCK, BANK AND HOTEL.]

WILLIAM H. DICKINSON, County Surveyor and real estate agent, Wahoo, settled in Nebraska, March, 1869, and took up a homestead in Saunders County, and lived on his farm until 1875, when he moved to Wahoo and opened a real estate and loan office. He was elected County Surveyor the same year, and has held that office since, and is now one of the town board and a prominent banker. He was born in Yorkshire, England, February 23, 1848. He emigrated to the United States in 1865, and returned to England three times. He was married at Fremont February 28, 1871, to Miss Charlotte M. Adams.

   JOHN EKELEY, Wahoo, of the firm of Ekeley, Carlson & Co, general merchandise. Came to Omaha in 1869, where he engaged at constructing railroad, and also at bridge carpentering. In fall of 1871, while at work on the bridge at Omaha across the Missouri River, he fell with a large timber, by which he came near losing his life. After his recovery from the fall, he went to work on the same bridge until completed. He engaged in land and ice trade with A. T. Carlson of Omaha, sold that out to his partner in 1878 and moved to Wahoo, where he started a store of general merchandise and has since remained. He is a native of Sweden, being born December 9, 1841. Was married to his first wife in Sweden, Inga C. Olson, who died at Omaha in 1875, by whom he had four children--one boy who is now living. Was married to his second wife, Hedvig M. Wenngren, in 1877. She being born also in Sweden, by whom he has two children. Mr. Ekeley emigrated to the United States in 1869.

   W. I. ELLIS, editor of Saunders County Tribune, at Wahoo.

   EMIL FISHER, furniture, and undertaker, Wahoo. Came to Nebraska in July, 1878. Was born in Bohemia, August 14, 1843, and emigrated to the United States in 1869. Located at Chicago, where he worked in a large furniture factory, and in 1875 moved to Indiana and started a furniture store at Crown Point. Was married at Chicago, in 1871, to Miss Aby Lishka. They have four children.

   JOHN GASKIN, restaurant and confectionery, Wahoo. Came to Nebraska in 1871, and located on farm in Stocking Precinct, Saunders Co. Here he resided until he moved to Wahoo in 1875, and started a livery stable, which business he followed four years and in March, 1881, started in present business. Was born in England, December 11, 1839. Emigrated to United States in 1871. Was married to his first wife in England, 1867, Miss Susan Perry, who died May 18, 1875. Was married to his present wife in 1879.

   J. R. GILKESON, lawyer, of the firm of Reese & Gilkeson, Wahoo. Came to Nebraska in April, 1870, and settled at Omaha, and lived there till March, 1874, when he moved to Wahoo, and commenced to practice law. Was admitted to the bar at Omaha in 1873, before Judge George B. Lake. Was born in Pennsylvania, October 27, 1847. Was married in Wahoo, December 19, 1878, to Miss Ida M. Andrus, who is a native of Michigan. They have two children, Roy F. and Kate C.

   DARWIN C. HALL, County Judge of Saunders County, settled in Nebraska in spring of 1872, on farm from State of Vermont. He lived on his farm until fall of 1879, when he was elected County Judge. Was born in Franklin County, N. Y., December 6, 1846. Was one of the first settlers in Chester Precinct. Was married in Vermont, November, 1870, to Miss Nellie Wetherbee, who is also a native of Vermont, by whom he has one son, Darwin C. He is a member of the Congregational Church, and is now deacon.

   ANTON JAUSA, proprietor of the Wahoo Brewery, came to Nebraska in 1868, and located at Omaha, where he engaged at carpenter work, which he followed until 1874, when he started to keep hotel at Fremont, Neb., which he run three years, and then moved to Wahoo and started lumber yard, which he sold out soon afterward and started to erect his brewery in 1880, which was the first brewery in Saunders County. He was born in Bohemia, July 26, 1845. Emigrated to United States 1868. Was married at Omaha in 1869, to Miss Anna Nemacak, she also being born in Bohemia, by whom he has five children.

   CHARLES S. JOHNSON, lawyer, came to Nebraska in August, 1877, and opened a law office at Wahoo. Is graduate of law school at Iowa City, Iowa, June, 1877, was admitted to practice before Judge Post. Was born in James County, Iowa, August 31, 1854. Was elected City Clerk of Wahoo in spring of 1879, and has held that office since. Was married in September, 1879, to Miss Mary E. Davis, of Wahoo. She was born in Massachusetts. They have one son, Francis D.

   HENRY JOHNSON, Sheriff of Saunders County, came to Nebraska in January, 1870, and located at Ashland, where he started the first livery stable in town of Ashland, which he ran till January, 1878, when he was elected to office of County Sheriff, moved to Wahoo. He served as member of the Town Board of Ashland six years. Was born in Wayne County, Ind., October 15, 1828. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Ashland Lodge No. 18. Was married in Indiana to his first wife, Miss Lydia Mullin, who died in 1863, by whom he has two children, William A. and Emeline M. Was married to his second wife in Minnesota, Alcesta S. Hill, in year 1864, by whom he had one child, Minnie H.

   JOSEPH & GRAFE, wholesale and retail grocers, Wahoo. John Joseph, of the above firm, came to Nebraska in 1878, and started to run a grist mill at Clear Creek, Saunders County, and left that the same year and moved to Wahoo, and started a grocery store December 15, 1878. Was born in Wood County, Ohio, February 12, 1852, and has served one year a member of the Town Board of Wahoo. Was married in 1879 to Miss Louise Challett, of Wahoo, by whom he has one daughter. William Grafe, of the above firm, is a native of Germany, and was born in 1854.

   RANDALL H. KNAPP, farmer, Cedar Precinct, P. O. Cedar Bluff, was born in Parma, N. Y., November 13, 1831. Came to Nebraska, in 1856, and stopped at Omaha, during that winter, then in March, 1857, went to DeSoto, Washington Co., where he farmed till 1861, then he moved to Fort Kearney, Neb., where he run a hotel or ranch, till 1865, then moved back to Washington County, and lived there till 1868, when he moved to Saunders County, and located on the farm, where he now resides, and is one of the first settlers in that vicinity. Was elected to the office of County Treasurer, in 1873, and re-elected in 1875, and was the first Mayor elected of the City of Wahoo. Was married in the State of Michigan, Hillsdale County, in 1854, to Miss Ann Vanvleet. They have one son, Ned.

   JOSEPH LEDVINA, senior member of the firm of F. J. Lepsa & Co., merchants, Wahoo. Mr Ledvina of the above firm, came to Wahoo, in 1877, and started the store where he now is. Was born in Bohemia, April 23, 1845, emigrated to the United States in month of June, 1862 and located in Kewaunee County, Wis., where he farmed till he came to Nebraska. Was married in Wisconsin, in 1864, to Miss Anthonie Wesley, who was also a native of Bohemia. They have five children. He is a member of Bohemia Society C. S. P. S. Frank J. Lepsa, junior, is a member of the above firm was born in Bohemia, in 1852. Emigrated to the United States with his parents in 1865, who first located at La Crosse, Wis. Came to Wahoo, in 1880. Was married in 1878, at St. Paul, Minn., to Authonia Kristofek, who was born in city of Chicago, Ill.

   JAMES M. LEE, merchant, Wahoo, came to Nebraska, and located at Fremont, in 1857, where he commenced to farm, and in 1868, moved to Wahoo, and started the first store in that village, the spring of 1869, has been engaged at that ever since. He was one of the founders of the Reformed Presbyterian Church, it being the first church in said town, and has also been actively engaged in all public enterprise in building up the town. He is a native of Ireland, was born June 24, 1829, emigrated to the United States, in 1851, first settling in Pennsylvania, and moved to Wisconsin. Was married in Iowa, to Miss Sarah M. Johnson, in 1867, she was born in Ohio. They have seven children.

   JOHN R. LEE, farmer, Wahoo, was born in Ireland, February 13, 1840. Emigrated to the United States in 1850, with his parents, who settled in Wyoming County, Pa., where they resided till 1854, when they removed to Grant County, Wis., and he resided there till the spring of 1857, when he came to Nebraska, and located in Dodge County, near where the present city of Fremont now is, where he started farming, he followed that there with his parents, till 1859, when he went out among the Indians, on the Pawnee Reservation, where he staid three years, trading, trafficking, etc., and many times went with them on buffalo hunts, and learned to speak their language quite fluently. After which he returned to Fremont and remained there till 1869, when he selected the site and started the town of Wahoo, and mainly by his efforts was the county seat removed from Ashland to Wahoo, and opened a store in company with his brother, where he remained till 1874; he was also the first man to run a ferry for settlers in Saunders County, at Fremont, across the Platte River, and has always worked for the interest of Nebraska, and his county. When Mr. L. first came here there was not a house between Fremont and Wahoo. He owns over 1,000 acres of land in Saunders County, 620 acres in Dodge and Douglas counties, 100 lots in Wahoo and several buildings in town. He was married in 1873, to Mary Olson. They have two children living. He is a member of the Reformed Presbyterian Church of Wahoo.

   CHRISTOPHER E. LILLIBRIDGE, Sheriff of Saunders County, Wahoo, came to Nebraska, in the spring of 1868, and located in Lancaster County, where he run a portable sawmill, which business he followed about six years, and in January, 1872, took up claim near where the present station of Clear Creek is now, in the spring of 1875, moved to Colorado, where he worked at mining and carpentering until 1877, then returned to Saunders County, and resumed his farming and was elected to the office of County Sheriff, in the fall of 1881. Was born in Erie County, Pa., May 18, 1846. He is a member of A., F. & A. M., Wahoo Lodge, No. 59. Was married in February, 1872, to Miss Clysta J. Harrison. They have one son, Harry W.

   JOHN O. LINDH, of the firm of Ekeley, Carlson & Co., general merchants, Wahoo. Was born in Sweden, July 21, 1841, emigrated to the United States, November, 1866, and first located at Chicago, Ill., where he followed the painter's trade, which business he followed until 1878, then he moved to Wahoo, Neb., where he united with the above firm. Was married in Chicago, in 1867, to Miss Anna Carlberg. Was born in Sweden and came to America in June, 1867. They have four children. They are both members of the Swedish Lutheran Church, in which the subject of this sketch has always taken a very active part.

   JOSEPH MANNERS, retired merchant, Wahoo. Came to Wahoo in spring of 1873, and opened trade in small shoe shop, and worked at his trade and added to his workshop a stock of boots and shoes, and increased his trade until he sold out in August, 1881, which invoiced $18,000. Was born in State of Pennsylvania, Indiana County, May 11, 1827. He left his native State in October, 1854; moved to Iowa, where he worked at his trade until he enlisted in the war of the Rebellion at Columbus City, Iowa, in Eleventh Iowa Volunteer Infantry, Company C, serving three years. Was captured by the Rebels near Alexandra, on the Red River. He is a member of the Reformed Presbyterian Church. Was married in 1851, to Miss Mary J. Hazlett, of Pennsylvania. They have seven children, six girls and one son.

   DANIEL McCLENNAN, grain dealer, Wahoo, came to Nebraska in spring of 1873, and located at Fremont, where he erected a steam grist mill, which he run till 1878, when he moved to Wahoo and started to buy grain, which business he has followed since. Was born in Nova Scotia, December 18, 1837, emigrated to the United States with his parents in 1850. He recruited Company D, of Thirty-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, in 1861, and served as their Captain till the close of the war; was wounded at the battle of Shiloh, in the right side, from which wound he still suffers. Was married on September 2, 1861, to Miss Angie Lee. They have two children living. He served as member of the Fremont Council two years, and is a member of the A., F. & A. M.

   ISAAC R. MENGEL, Justice of the Peace and ex-County Judge of Saunders County, was born in Lancaster County, Penn., July 12, 1814. His father died when he was eight years of age, and his mother when he was fifteen. He remained at home till he was twenty-one years old, then moved to State of Illinois and located in Sangamon County, and there engaged at getting out railroad ties for the Great Western and Wabash R. R. Co., and also at wagon making, which he followed up till 1868, when he moved to State of Nebraska and took up a homestead in Oak Creek Precinct, Saunders Co. Here he resided, improving his farm till 1873, when he was elected County Judge of Saunders County, and served till 1879. He was elected the same year Justice of the Peace, of Wahoo, which office he now holds; was married in Illinois, 1839, to Miss Eunice M. Meacham, who was born in Sangamon County, Ill., by whom he had twelve children, five of whom are living, viz.: Esther M., Ellis V., Arminda J., now Mrs. H. F. Griffin, Julia D., now widow of George W. Worley, Hattie B., who was the third girl in city of Wahoo, and is now teacher in the primary department of Wahoo Graded School, and is a young lady possessed of a fine education and marked ability.

   R. B. MORTON, M. D., and druggist, Wahoo. Came to Nebraska in 1870, and took up a homestead four miles west of Wahoo, Saunders Co., where he resided till 1873, then moved to Wahoo and started the first drug store in the town, and also practiced his profession. Was born in Crawford County, Pa., received his medical diploma at the Eclectic Medical Institute at Cincinnati, Ohio, and commenced his first practice at Centreville, Pa. Is a member of the State Eclectic Medical Society of Nebraska, and is Vice-President. Is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and Knights of Honor at Wahoo. Was married in 1866, in Pennsylvania, to Miss Lizzie C. Moore, who is a native of Pennsylvania.

   JOHN NEWLEAN, of the firm of Newlean & Stratton, dealers in farm machinery, Wahoo, came to Nebraska in 1877, and settled in Wahoo, and started in business for himself, and continued till 1879, when he went in partnership with Mr. Stratton. Was born in Sweden, February 26, 1842. Emigrated to the United States in 1865, and located at Chicago, Ill, where he turned out as coachman, and was afterward appointed foreman on improving the lands on the Lake Shore, and then moved to Iowa in 1874, and started to farming. Was married in Chicago, in 1870, to Charlotte Sellergren, who was also born in Sweden.

   OTTO OSTENBERG, grain buyer, of the firm of Ostenberg & Co., Wahoo, came to Nebraska in 1870, and located on a farm, about half a mile east of where the present city of Wahoo now is. Here he remained until 1872, then moved to Fremont, where he started in the grain business. Here he continued until 1876, when he returned to Wahoo, and started to buy grain there, and was the first regular grain buyer located in the town, and erected the first elevator at Wahoo. Was born in Germany, May 25, 1843. Emigrated to the United States, with parents, in 1853. Was married in 1868, to Miss Rosa A. Jones. They have two children--Willie H. and Harvey H. He enlisted in the war of Rebellion, at Madison, Wis., in the Eleventh Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, Company A, in 1863, and served until the close of the war.

   JACOB ORT, Deputy Sheriff, Wahoo. Mr. Ort came to Nebraska and located at Valparaiso, Saunders County, in 1878, where he engaged at carpentering, and in August, 1881, came to Ashland, where he resided until January, 1882, when he was appointed Deputy Sheriff under C. E. Lillibridge. Then moved to Wahoo. Was born in Chicago, Ill., July 7, 1846. Enlisted in the war of the Rebellion in Waterhouse Battery, in 1863 and served until April 7, 1865. Was married December 25, 1878, in Illinois, to Christie Mittendorf, who is a native of Germany. They have four children. Mr. Ort is a member of A., F. & A. M., Western Star Lodge No. 240 of Champaign, Ill., and also member of G. A. R. of Nebraska.

   CHARLES PERKY, County Treasurer of Saunders County, came to Nebraska in 1866, and first located at DeSoto, Washington County. Came to Saunders County in 1868, and started to farm at Cedar Bluff, where he resided until the fall of 1877, then moved to Wahoo, where he was engaged as Deputy County Treasurer of Saunders County, and served in that position until the fall of 1881, at which time he was elected to the office of County Treasurer. He enlisted in the war of the Rebellion at Warren, Ohio, in 1861, in the Seventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Company H, and served fifteen months. Re-enlisted in the fall of 1862, at Massillon, Ohio, in Company A, One Hundred and Fourth Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war, and was promoted to First Lieutenant. Was married January 7, 1878, to Mrs. Josephine M. Dunn, of Blair, Neb. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Wahoo Lodge, No. 59.

   DOUGLAS R. PHELPS, of the firm of Stratton & Phelps, Wahoo, came to Nebraska in 1868, and first located in Omaha, where he worked at the carpenter trade till 1869, when he moved to Saunders County, and took up a farm and run that four years, when he removed to Fremont, where he engaged as salesman in E. G. St. John's lumber yard, where he staid till September, 1879, then moved to Wahoo, and went in partnership with Mr. Stratton. Was born in Wyoming County, N. Y., April 25, 1844. He enlisted in the war of the Rebellion in August, 1862, in the First New York Dragoons, and served till the close of the war. Was wounded at the battle of Newtown, W. Va. Was married in New York, in February, 1869, to Miss Clara Harrington, of New York.

   ISAAC E. PHELPS, carpenter and builder, Wahoo, came to Nebraska in March, 1869, and first located in the northern part of Saunders County, where he pre-empted and homesteaded. Here he resided till the spring of 1874, when he moved to Wahoo, and engaged in the carpenter and building business, and was among the first carpenters in the town. He has built most of the principal buildings of Wahoo, and the County Court House. Was born in New York State, May 14, 1841. Is a member of the Congregational Church. Was married at Ashland, to Miss Nancy A. Tower, who is also a native of New York, who was a teacher in the graded school at Ashland, for a number of years. They have one daughter--Mary E.

   JACOB C. POLSLEY, farmer, Section 4, P. O. Wahoo. The subject of this sketch came to Nebraska and located on a farm one mile west of Wahoo, where he still resides. Was born in West Virginia, February 1, 1817. Moved to Indiana in 1829 with his parents who located in Henry County, where Mr. Polsley, the subject of this sketch, took up the milling business, in Delaware County, in the year 1842, and here continued at that for twenty-five years. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and was the founder of the Wahoo Lodge, No. 59, and was the first Master of the Lodge and he also founded two other lodges in Indiana. Was married in the year 1840, in Indiana, to Miss Sarah Powers who was also a native of Virginia and died in 1869, in Indiana, by whom he had nine children, four of which are now living, viz., Mary A., now Mrs. John Cemer, Nancy C., now Mrs. John L. Coleman, John W., and Ann Ida.

   THOMAS RANCE, wagon and carriage factory, Wahoo. Came to Nebraska, October, 1879, and started the shop where he now is, it being the first regular carriage factory in Wahoo. Was born in Illinois, May 9, 1854. Was married in Marshall County, Ill., to Miss Mary Williams.

   THOMAS W. RIDDLE, proprietor of the De Roe House, Wahoo. Was born in West Virginia, September 10, 1847. Came to Nebraska in 1866 and settled at Ashland, Saunders County, where he started to work by the month on a farm, which he continued until 1868 when he took up a homestead on Rock Creek, Saunders County, which he worked on, improving, until 1872 when he started to keep a general merchandise store at Ceresco and was the founder of the post office at that place and was the first postmaster, where he served from 1872 to 1879, when his entire stock of merchandise was destroyed, after which he then moved to Wahoo and was employed as commercial traveler until March, 1881, when he started to keep hotel at Wahoo. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., Lincoln Lodge, No. 11. Was married in 1872 to Miss Jennie Collins, of Meigs County, Ohio. They have three children, Fred, Koash, and Oren.

   JAMES A. SMITH, senior member of the firm of Smith Bros. family grocery store, Wahoo, came to Nebraska in 1875 and purchased a farm in Chapman Precinct, where he resided until the spring of 1877 when he moved to Wahoo and was engaged as a clerk in a dry goods store. Was elected to the office of County School Superintendent in 1877 which office he held till January, 1882. In December, 1881, he started his grocery store, in company with his brother. He also owns one of the finest farms in Saunders County. Was born in Ohio, August 9, 1848. Was married in 1869 to Miss Tennie E. Thorp, of Davis County, Iowa. He held the office of City Clerk, of Wahoo for the year 1878. Is a member of the First Baptist Church and was one of the organizing members of that society at Wahoo. Is also a member of the Knights of Honor, of which society he is Treasurer and has also held the office of Financial Reporter for two and a half years.

   MELVILLE W. STONE, M. D., was born at Delaware, Ohio, December 11, 1837. Received his literary education at the Ohio University and is a graduate of the Bellevue Medical College, New York City, 1861, and took an honorary degree at the Iowa University, at Keokuk, the same year in July, 1861. Enlisted in the war of the Rebellion in the Seventh Iowa Volunteer Infantry, Company H., and in September of the same year was transferred to the medical staff of the Cumberland Army by Gen. Grant and remained in the Government service until 1869, being transferred to the State of Nebraska, taking charge of the Fourth Regular Infantry, where he remained until 1867, then took charge of the Thirtieth Regular Infantry, stationed at Red Cloud during the Indian war and in 1869 was stationed at North Platte and at the same time was appointed surgeon for the U. P. R. R. Co. In 1870 moved to Polk County, Neb., near Osceola, where he practiced until 1872, then moved to Wahoo. He is now Surgeon General of Nebraska and is President of the State Medical Society and is now selected as delegate to the American Convention to meet at St. Paul, Minn., in 1882. He is a member of the F. & A. M., Wahoo Lodge No. 59, also Knights of Honor. Was married at Keokuk, Iowa, in 1863, to Miss Maggie Conn. They have five children.

   STEEN BROTHERS, dealers in hardware, tinware, stoves and all kinds of farm machinery. John Steen, the senior member of the above firm, and Postmaster at Wahoo, was born in Christiania, Norway, October 20, 1841. He came to this country with his parents in 1853, and settled on a farm in Winneshick County, Iowa. In 1861, he enlisted in Company G, Twelfth Iowa Infantry Volunteers. He served in the Western Department during the entire war; was wounded at Pittsburg Landing, April 6, 1862, and taken prisoner; was mustered out at Davenport, Iowa, January, 1866. He served as Deputy Sheriff of Winneshiek County one term. He came to Nebraska in March, 1869; located in the city of Omaha, where he was appointed money-order clerk in the postoffice department. This important position he held a short time, when he was appointed postal clerk on the U. P. R. R., and served in that capacity two years. In 1871, he was elected City Treasurer of Omaha; in 1873, he was appointed clerk for the Chief Paymaster of the Military Department of the Platte--headquarters at Omaha. In 1874, he resigned that position, and moved to Fremont, Neb., where he engaged in the lumber business till in 1877, when he moved to Wahoo, Neb., where he started in the hardware and farm machinery business. He was appointed Postmaster in June, 1878. He married Miss Marie Louise Hough, at Decorah, Iowa, in September, 1870.

   JAMES B. STURDEVANT, photographer at Wahoo, came to Nebraska in 1869, and settled on farm in Saunders County and resided there until he moved to Wahoo and started the first photograph rooms there. He served as Justice of the Peace in Marietta Precinct, and was the second Justice in that town; was born in the State of Pennsylvania, May 24, 1824; was married in Pennsylvania, 1848, to Miss Josephine L. Mowry, she being also born in Pennsylvania. They have eight children, six of which are now living, viz., Joseph B., Brantley E., George M. who died at Wahoo, in August, 1880; James O., died November 12, 1879; Charles L., Frank M., Edward P. and Bertha J.

   GEORGE H. STOCKING, farmer at Wahoo, son of Hon. Moses Stocking, deceased, who was born in the State of New York, April 27, 1813; came to State of Nebraska in 1865, and located just five miles north of Plattsmouth, where he pre-empted some land and started farming, and was one of the first settlers in that part of the State, and, in July, 1865, took up another claim at Wahoo, Saunders Co., which is still occupied by his son, Charles L. When the Stocking Precinct was organized, it was named after the honorable gentleman above, who died October 1, 1881. His wife, Annie, still survives him at the ripe old age of sixty-three years, and is still living on the old homestead. The subject of this sketch was born in St. Joseph County, Mich., February 17, 1846; came to Nebraska with his parents; was married in Pennsylvania to Miss Emma A. Cook.

   F. M. STRATTON, lumber and agricultural implements, Wahoo, of the firm of Stratton & Phelps, came to Nebraska in 1868, and took up a homestead in Saunders County. In the fall of 1870, was elected County Clerk; moved to Ashland, then the county seat--he being the third County Clerk of Saunders County--and in June 1874, moved to Wahoo when the county seat was moved, and held that office six years. In 1877, was appointed by Judge Post Clerk of the District Court, which position he held until 1879; has also served three terms as member of Town Board of Wahoo; was born in Jefferson County, N. Y., January 8, 1845; was married in fall of 1870, to Miss Frank A. Dye, of Fond du Lac, Wis.

AUGUSTUS W. VANDEMAN came to Nebraska in 1873, and located at Ashland, where he took charge of the graded school, and was principal of that school two years, after which he started a grocery store at Ashland, which he run until Spring of 1878, and in fall of same year was elected to the Legislature from District No. 50, representing Saunders and Cass counties; in 1879, came to Wahoo, where he took charge of the graded school. Was principal of that school two years and four months. Was elected to office of County School Superintendent of Saunders County, in fall of 1881; was born in Ohio, February 20, 1846. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and was married in June, 1874, to Sarah J. Thrasher, of Indiana. He is a graduate of National Normal school, at Lebanon, Ohio, in the year 1872. They have one son, Hubert A.




Top of Page   First Page   Back   Next

County Index