Physical Character | Early Settlement | Indian Troubles|
County Organization | Official Roster | County Statistics|
Railroads | District Schools | Taxation
County Poor Department | County Societies
Lincoln: Early History | Incorporation | Official Roster|
City Institutions | Post Office
Lincoln (cont.): University of Nebraska|
Lincoln (cont.): University of Nebraska (cont.)|
Lincoln (cont.): Insane Hospital|
Nebraska State Penitentiary | The Second Revolt
Lincoln (cont.): Public Schools | Fire Department|
The Press | Churches
Lincoln (cont.): Societies, Associations, Etc.|
Temperance Societies | Musical Societies
Business Interests | Banks | Hotels
Lincoln (cont.): |
Wholesale and Manufacturing Establishments
Biographical Sketches- ABBOTT~ALLEN
10 - 24:
** Lincoln Biographical Sketches ** (cont.)|
| ALFORD~BONNELL | BOHANON~CARR |
| CARTER~CUMMINGS | DAILEY~FEDEWA |
| FULLER~GRIMM | GULICK~HOGE |
| HOLMES~KEELER | KELLY~McCONNIFF |
| McCORD~NANCE | NEWMAN~PHILLIPS |
| PHILPOTT~RANDLE | RAYMOND~SCOTT |
| SEATON~STRICKLAND | SWAN~WALSH |
| WEBER~WUNDERLICH |
Bennet: Churches | Societies ||
| Biographical Sketches - ALLSTOT~GRIBLING
Bennett: Biographical Sketches - HANSON~PIPER|
Bennett: Biographical Sketches - RHEA~WILSON|
Waverly: Biographical Sketches|
Firth: Biographical Sketches|
Roca | Other Points
Grant Precinct | Saltillo Precinct | Stockton Precinct
List of Illustrations in Lancaster County Chapter
Firth is situated at the extreme southern portion of Lancaster County, near the headwaters of the Nemaha River and in the famous "Nemaha Valley," which Horace Greeley characterized as the "Garden of America." Its location is near the center of a scope of unexcelled farming land about twenty-five miles in diameter with only one rival town of any importance, Wilber, Crete and Beatrice being about twenty-three miles distant. It is the third largest grain market on the Atchison & Nebraska Railroad, between Atchison and Lincoln, shipping about 700 cars of grain and stock in 1881. This proves that it is surrounded by a productive agricultural district, especially when it is considered that not more than one-third of the land included in the circle described is under cultivation. Corn is the staple crop, although oats, flax, spring wheat and barley yield well. The population of the village is about 300.
The name was given in honor of Superintendent Firth of the A. & N. R. R. Firth was organized as a village in February, 1879. The first Chairman of the Board of Trustees was G. G. Beams, W. H. More being elected Clerk. These offices both have been retained. The other trustees are C. Bailey, F. S. Fielding, Dr. G. A. Pogue and Robert Hay. C. F. Fleckinger is Village Treasurer.
Firth has the best graded school outside of Lincoln, C. H. Barnard, principal. The building was erected in 1874 at a cost of $2,200, and is a two-story frame structure. The attendance is 120. For the past eight years the cost of maintenance has been $8,512.24.
Firth has also the only newspaper outside of Lincoln. It is a neat six-column folio, edited and published by its founder, H. Snyder. The first number of the Weekly Times appeared December 3, 1880. The journal is independent in politics, and meets the local wants to a nicety.
The Presbyterian Church has a strong society of thirty members, organized by its present pastor, Rev. E. M. Lewis, of Lincoln, in 1881. A neat edifice, costing $2,000, was dedicated January 1, 1882.
The I. O. O. F. lodge is in fine condition, owning its own building and having money in the treasury. It has a membership of thirty, and was organized in 1875. The Masonic lodge--Livingstone No. 66--was organized in 1879, and has a membership of fourteen.
Now, as to business aspect, Firth has a number of paying general stores, two elevators, a steam grist-mill, and two hotels. One elevator is operated by Worl & Beams and Schmidt Bros., the grist mill by Kilbourne & Cooper, The Firth mills were completed in September, 1881, by the Kilbourne Bros. The present firm, consisting of O. H. Kilbourne and Willard Cooper, was formed in March, 1882. The mills have three run of stone, with a capacity for five. The main building is 26x40 feet, two and one-fourth stories in height. The brand of flour manufactured is "Golden Crown."
The Kent House, the first hotel in Firth, was erected by H. W. Gable, in 1873-'74, who has managed it since. The other hotel was built in 1879, and is owned by Mrs. Kate Morrison.
CHARLES FLICKINGER, harness-maker and Postmaster, one of the pioneer settlers, was born in October, 1842, in Pennsylvania, where he was raised and availed himself of a common school education near Freeport, after which he went on a farm and remained there until 1863 with his father. Then enlisted in the Forty-fifth Illinois Infantry, Company E., under Col. Jno. E. Smith, and participated in all the battles with his regiment and was mustered out in July, 1865, at Louisville, Ky., and was finally discharged at Chicago. After the war he went to Oregon and engaged in the harness business and from thence came to Nebraska, in 1869, and settled in Panama Precinct and purchased a farm of 160 acres, sold the same and came to Firth and opened a business here, which is one of the oldest houses here in that line of business. He was married in 1869 to Miss Elizabeth Fisher, of Illinois. They have two children, Ida and Daisy. He belongs to the I. O. O. F. of Friendship Lodge, No. 47, was Assessor for three years, and is now Town Treasurer and Trustee, and was Moderator of District School, No. 83 for three years, and now holds the position of Postmaster here.
RUFUS J. HOWARD, farmer, was born March 22, 1826, at New York City, and at an early age left with his parents and went to Genesee, Livingston Co., on a farm, where he was raised and educated, after which he went to Allegany County, remained there one year farming, purchasing some 106 acres of land in all, which he sold, and moved to Belmont in the same county. Then went to Toledo, Ohio, and there engaged in the dry goods and notion business, sold the same, returned to New York State, and from thence to Lancaster County, Wis., where he purchased a farm of eighty acres, and farmed the same for about eight years, and from thence in the year 1867 came to Nebraska, and homesteaded eighty acres, in Panama Precinct, Lancaster Co., situated in the southwest quarter of Section 8, and shortly afterwards bought another eighty acres adjoining. His farm is under a high state of cultivation and improvements good, with twenty acres of grove, and a good orchard. Was married at the age of twenty-one to Miss Harriet S. Clement, of Pennsylvania, and has six children--George A., Mary R., Jeannie, Charley F., Elbert A., and Frank. His mother was the first Yankee girl born in Troy, at the time General Wool was a boy, of whom he was an intimate friend. Belongs to the A. F. & A. M. Belmont Lodge, and was Assessor for two terms in this county.
ROBERT HOY, hardware merchant, was born in March, 1834, in Lower Canada, where he was raised and educated and came first to America in 1847 and went to Vermont, where he learned the trade of blacksmithing, and remained there some three years, returned to Canada and from thence came to Dodge County, Wis., and engaged in blacksmithing for about one year, then went to Grand Rapids, in the pineries, in the same business, and from thence to Beaver Dam, and worked in a plow factory for about two years, then went to Houston County, Minn., and there took charge of a saw-mill, remained there some time, returned to Vermont, thence to York State on business, returned to Minnesota and engaged in the same business. In 1860 he went to Colorado, mining, remained there one season and from thence came to Council Bluffs, Iowa, and from thence to Troy, Tenn., and engaged in the saw-mill business there in partnership with a Mr. McCaw, and in October, 1861, enlisted in the First Vermont Cavalry, as horseshoer, and farrier to his regiment and was discharged the same year near Fairfax Court-house, Virginia, having received a severe injury from a kick of one of the company's mules in his stomach. Then went to Fort Henry, York State, until the spring of 1862, recruiting his health, after which he went to Blue Earth County, Minn., and there engaged in blacksmithing on his own account, remaining there for about two years, and in 1864 was made interpreter of French in the Provost Marshal's office until the close of the war, and from thence went to Rockford, Iowa, remained there one year in business; then went to Missouri Valley, and started business there and after about two years, sold out, and in 1869 came to Nebraska and located at Decatur, in Burt County, and established a hardware business, remaining there for about five years. Then sold out and returned to Iowa and established himself at Atlantic, in the machine and foundry business, which he kept for six years, and being offered a good price for his business, etc., sold out, and in the spring of 1880 came to Firth, and established a hardware business, situated on Nemaha avenue. Carrying an immense stock of shelf and heavy hardware of every description, and by his integrity and enterprise built up a large trade in this section. Was married in 1863, to his first wife, who died in 1864. Married again in 1871, and she also died in 1873, at Decatur, and in 1875 was married to Helen Hanson, of Burt County, Neb. Has two children Mary E. and Gracy B. His father was in the rebellion of Canada in 1837, and on last December was 110 years of age, and the old gentleman still retains all his faculties. His mother is eighty-seven years of age, and the parents of twenty-six children--twenty-one boys, and five girls. Belongs to A. F. and A. M., as W. M. Livingston Lodge No 66, also to the A. O. U. W. at Atlantic, Iowa.
R. E. LOSEE, City Marshal, was born January 7, 1843, in Canada, where he was raised and educated; came to the United States in March, 1859, and engaged in farming in DeKalb County, Ill., and in 1861 enlisted in the Eighth Illinois Cavalry, Company B, under Col. Farnsworth. He participated in the Virginia battles with his regiment, until he was captured by the Rebels and was held prisoner for about eight days when he managed to liberate himself. In October, 1863, re-enlisted again in the Seventeenth Illinois Cavalry, Company C, and was mustered out October 29, 1865, at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., and discharged at Springfield, Ill. Then he went to St. Joe, Mo., and engaged in the hotel business, and from thence went to Northwestern Iowa and engaged in farming with his brother, and on June 11, 1868, came to Nebraska and homesteaded eighty acres in Panama Precinct, of this County, situated in the west one-half of northeast one-fourth of Section 20; remained on the same for about five years; then came to the town of Firth and engaged in the grain business and the city draying, and unloading lumber. Was married October 20, 1865, to Miss Fanny E. Patrick, of St. Joe, Mo. They have seven children, Katie, Hettie, Jennie (Minnie and William), both dead and buried here, George and Lelia, two youngest. Mr. L. belongs to the I. O. O. F., Friendship Lodge No. 47. In the year 1871, was Register of Voters for South Pass and Panama Precincts, and was the first man to plow a furrow on the Antelope Flat in this county. At the time of the early gold excitement, his father-in-law, Mr. Luke Patrick, went to California and there engaged in mining, and accumulated great wealth, but of late years nothing has been heard of him.
JOHN LESLEY STOUFFER, M. D., physician and surgeon, was born July 19, 1854, at Mount Carroll, Ill., and at an early age moved to Lanark with his parents, where he was raised, and attended the high school for eight years. Then went to Des Moines, Iowa, and engaged in the grocery business, and from thence to Dallas Centre and engaged in the drug business in connection with his father, and in the winter time taught school. Then went to Storey and attended the agricultural college there for one term, and in 1872 returned to Lanark and engaged in the drug business and studied medicine and surgery. In 1874, he went to Chicago and there attended the medical college, taking a regular course; and in March, 1876, graduated and received his diploma as physician and surgeon. Then went to Jo Daviess County, Ill., and commenced to practice medicine in the town of Nora, where he remained about fourteen months, and in 1877, came to Nebraska and located in Firth, and established himself as physician and surgeon. Was married in 1878, to Miss Nellie Waddington, of Yorkshire, England. Has one child, Estella Irene. Belongs to the Johnson Medical Society, and to the Cook County M. S. Is Moderator of the school here.
CARL M. WITTSTRUCK, boot and shoe maker, was born in the Province of Brandenburgh, Prussia, November 10, 1843, and came to the United States with his mother and family when thirteen years, and located in Racine County, Wis., where he served his apprenticeship to his trade, and in 1860 came to Woodford County, Ill., and engaged in the shoe making business until December, 1861, when he enlisted in the Eleventh Illinois Cavalry as private, Company M, under Col. Ingersoll. He participated in all the battles with his regiment up to the 23d of June, 1863, when he was taken prisoner by Capt. Saul Street, at Saulsbury, W. Tenn., and held captive until 1864, during which time he contracted the severe illness, rheumatism, and after he was liberated he was sent to St. Louis, where he got a furlough. On the 13th of May, was exchanged and went to Vicksburgh and joined his company, and in December, 1865, was mustered out and discharged at Memphis, and from thence returned home and remained with his brother. In September, 1868, came to Nebraska and homesteaded 160 acres in Centerville Precinct, improved the same and in 1872 came to South Pass Precinct and purchased an eighty acre farm, improved that and in 1874 came to Firth and established a boot and shoe business here, and through close attention to business, commands a large trade both from the city, and the surrounding country. He was married December 24, 1867, to Miss Viola Clayton, of Nebraska. Had six children, of which two are now living, Violetta and Moses. Mr. W. belongs to the I. O. O. F., Friendship Lodge, No. 47; also a member of the State Grand Lodge, having worked through all the degrees and is now recording secretary of the lodge here. In 1867 and 1869 he was elected Constable, in 1873 to 1875 was elected Justice of the Peace, and re-elected in 1879, during which time he was appointed Notary Public, which position he still holds. Was also one of the first Board of Trustees elected for the Town of Firth. In 1879, was appointed agent for the B. & M. R. R. Co. here, which he held for one year. Also is insurance agent for the Western Horse and Cattle Insurance Company, and collecting agent. His father, Mr. Johann Joachim Wittstruck, was born in 1793, and served in the war under Blucher against Napoleon First, in 1813, '14 and '15, and participated in the battles of Leipzig, Gross Beren, Belle Alliance, Waterloo, and was one of those who entered with the victorious Prussian army into Paris, in 1815, and after the close of the war was discharged. He was married in 1818, to Miss Dorethea S. Zenze, who was born in 1800, they were the parents of fourteen children, of which at present there are only eight living; the subject of this sketch being the youngest.
This is a small village on the Atchison and Nebraska Railroad, a few miles from Lincoln, and as its name implies is "founded upon a rock." It population is only about 225, but on account of the fine building stone which is being quarried, it is becoming a place of importance. Keys & Bullock, of Lincoln, are developing an immense business, the most extensive limestone quarries in the south-eastern part of the State being located in Roca. Last year they shipped over 1,600 car loads, having in time past supplied the State Penitentiary, Insane Asylum, State University, York Seminary, etc. Stone is now being quarried for the Dakota Penitentiary. About half a mile of side track has been laid to the quarries from the main line, so that their facilities for shipping the product to their extensive stone-cutting yards in Lincoln are of the very best. Two miles east of Roca is a quarry worked by John Mussetter, and one operated by Joseph Bruce. No wonder that the place has been give the name of Roca--Spanish for rock.
But this feature is not the sum total of Roca's advantages. Surrounding it is a fine stock raising and corn producing country. In 1881 there were about 300 cars of grain and seventy cars of live stock shipped from this market. F. W. Lowry, of Lincoln, has an elevator, built about five years ago. Salt Creek which passes through the town site furnishes water power for a small grist mill, owned by W. F. Schroeder.
In addition to the above there are two general stores, one drug store, one blacksmith shop, one wagon shop, and one tin shop. Of physicians there are two; of lawyers none.
The site of Roca was chosen in 1872, and the town was laid out on the farms of W. E. Keys and J. H. Meyer. It was organized as a village in 1876, but has no officers. Its district school is attended by about forty pupils, the building being erected in 1878. Nathan English is the principal. There is, moreover, a Methodist Episcopal society of thirty-five members, which was organized in 1876, Rev. Mr. Mather, of South Lincoln, being the pastor.
Wm. Rauwerdink is Postmaster. A hotel has just been opened by S. S. Frankfather, which indicates growth of the village and confidence in its continued prosperity.
With its delightful location, rich agricultural territory tributary to it, and valuable stone quarries, there is no reason why Roca should not steadily prosper.
About eight miles northeast of Lincoln, on the Union Pacific railroad, is Raymond, a small town of fifty or sixty people. Oak Creek furnishes it excellent water power. Saltillo and Hickman, on the Atchison & Nebraska Railroad, below Lincoln, are only stations, but the latter is assuming proportions. Crounse, Olive Branch, Panama, Prairie Home, Centerville, Holland, Malcolm, Woodlawn, Emerald, Denton, Highland and Cheney are post-offices, the last six being located on railroads.
J. R. ATKINSON, farmer and stock raiser, Section 12, P. O. Panama. One of the foremost agriculturists and popular citizens of Lancaster County, is Mr. Atkinson. He is a native of England, and was born in Cumberland, November 27, 1841. Was reared, educated, and learned the carpenter trade in his native country, and principally followed that vocation. In 1870, came to the United States, locating in Nebraska, four miles west of Palmyra, in Otoe County, engaging in farming. In 1871, he was burned out, with a disastrous loss. In 1872, removed to his present home. His homestead consists of 160 acres, and has 160 acres on Section 1. Mr. A. has contributed amply towards the development of Panama Precinct, and is recognized as one of its most stalwart farmers. He has been closely associated with its educational interests, and is looked upon as a man whose judgment is prima facie correct, not only in local, but National affairs. He is very firm, and once his resolution is formed, it is as solid as the rock of Gibraltar. He married in 1861, Miss Margaret Studholme. By this union, they have four children--Thomas J., Ann, Mary, and Lillie M.
THOMAS J. DICKSON, farmer and stock raiser, Section 11, P. O. Panama, is a native of Scotland, and was born March 14, 1847. When three years of age, came to the United States, with parents. His father, Thomas, locating with family, in Delaware County, Iowa, being one of the pioneers in that part. Previous to locating in Iowa, however, was a resident for a time in other parts of the country. Thomas J. was reared to manhood, and educated in Delaware County, his earlier days being spent in tilling the soil. In 1871, came to Nebraska, locating at Panama Precinct. Mr. Dickson is well known as one of the representative stockmen and farmers of his precinct, and has a fine farm and comfortable home. He is a frank, companionable gentleman, and popular wherever know. Is a member of the I. O. O. F., and charter member of Nemaha Lodge, No. 32, and its first Secretary. In 1875, he married Miss Agnes Robertson. By this union, they have one daughter--Lizzie M.
WILLIAM FLICKINGER, farmer and stock raiser, Section 22, Township 4, Range 8, P. O. Firth. One of Lancaster County's substantial pioneer citizens, is the subject of this sketch. He is a native of Center County, Pa., and was born October 25, 1844. In April, 1855, moved to Illinois, with his parents, locating in Stephenson County, where he was reared, and resided until 1865, when he enlisted in Company E, One Hundred and Forty-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving one year, when he was honorably discharged. Returned to Stephenson County, Ill., resided until March 1868, when he located his present farm in Nebraska. The first few years he had many drawbacks to contend with, but those obstacles were overcome by an undauntable will and untiring industry. Nebraska City being his trading point, and to make the round trip, would take three days. Wheat he sold for fifty cents per bushel, and paid twenty-five cents per pound for bacon. His progress and success is a fair illustration of what can be accomplished in a new country, where there is determination. In 1869, he married Miss Mary Reed, of Indiana. They have two children--Ada Lula and Josephine Ann. Mr. F. is a charter member of Friendship Lodge, No. 47, I. O. O. F., of Firth, Neb. His father, Mr. Henry Flickinger, died in 1875, in Stephenson County, Ill.
JOHN FORREST, farmer and stock raiser, Section 11, P. O. Bennet. It is difficult to find a more thoroughgoing and prosperous farmer than the subject of the sketch. He is a native of Scotland, and was born in Lanarkshire. on the Clyde, the 31st of January, 1834. His boyhood days were spent in his native shire, where he was educated, and followed agricultural pursuits, in which capacity he has always been identified. In 1871 he came to America, locating in Delaware county, Iowa, and in 1872 came to Nebraska, locating where he now resides. His landed estate consists of 240 acres. He has a fine barn, and his residence is attractively ensconced in a thrifty grove. He is a model farmer, and attends strictly to his adopted branch of industry. He married, in 1860 (in Scotland), Miss Elizabeth Dickson. They have two children, Isabella and Agnes. The family are members of the United Presbyterian Church.
WILLIAM GORAM, farmer and stock raiser. This enterprising young gentleman is a native of Winona, Minn., and was born October 23, 1856. The spring of 1866 his father, George W., with his family, including William, located two and one-half miles south of where Bennet now stands, in Nemaha Precinct. Being one of the first settlers, he was closely associated with the development of the county for a number of years. On the 1st of April, 1882, he removed to Kansas, where he now resides. The subject of the sketch is a sterling, go-ahead agriculturist, and promises in the near future to be numbered among the stalwart ones of the county.
O. S. HAZELTON, farmer and stock raiser; Postmaster at Panama P. O. Is a native of New Hampshire, and was born in Sullivan County, March 31, 1828. His father, Ebenezer Hazelton, was a farmer, and O. S. spent his earlier days in tilling the soil When the war broke out he tendered his services to the Union cause, and enlisted in Company F, Eleventh New Hampshire. He participated in a number of the most noted engagements of the war; among these was Fredericksburg, December 13, 1862; served until the close of the war, when he was honorably discharged. The last year and a half in the service was on special duty. In 1866 came west, locating in Clayton County, Iowa, engaging in farming, and was identified with the agricultural interests of that county until the spring of 1872, when Nebraska became his abiding place. Mr. Hazelton possesses a kindly disposition, is a man of excellent judgment and is one of Nebraska's most progressive and sterling citizens. He has been twice married. His first wife (now deceased) was Miss Melissa Graves, of New Hampshire. By this union has three children, Frank P., Fred S. and Sidney. Mrs. Hazelton's death occurred in 1873. His present wife was formerly Jane Robertson, of Iowa. Mr. H. is a Master Mason and a member of the G. A. R.
IRA HEDGES, farmer and stock raiser, Section 15, P. O. Bennet. Is a native of Pickaway County, Ohio, and was born July 29, 1818; was reared and resided in his native State until 1855, when he emigrated to Iowa, locating in Des Moines County, near Burlington, being one of the pioneers in that county; was closely identified with its agricultural interests until 1862; moved to Henderson County, Ill., pursuing the vocation of farming until 1874, when he came to Nebraska, locating where he now resides. Mr. Hedges is a thoroughly schooled agriculturist, having had the experience of many years. He is a close observer, well read, and a very clever gentleman. In 1845 Miss Elizabeth Duryee became his wife. By this union they have two children, Soloma and Henrietta.
AARON HEDGES, farmer and stock raiser, Section 15, P. O. Bennet. This gentleman is a native of Pickaway County, Ohio, and was born, October 26, 1826. Was a resident of the Buckeye State until 1855, when he accompanied his brother Ira to Iowa, locating in Des Moines County. In 1862 removed to Henderson County, Ill., and in 1874 came to Nebraska, locating in Panama Precinct. Mr. Hedges is unmarried and resides with his brother Ira.
EDWARD JACKSON, farmer, carpenter and builder, was born in Lehigh County, Penn., March 28, 1833. When young removed to Venango County, and in that and Clarion County resided until 1852. Came west, locating in Mason County, Ill. Engaged in contracting and plastering and pursued that vocation in Illinois until he came to Nebraska. For a time was identified in Tazewell and Iroquois counties. During the American Rebellion, for three months was in the Government employ. In February, 1870, became a resident of Nebraska, locating where he now resides, being one of the pioneers of Panama Precinct, and underwent many of the privations subsequent to the early settlers. He traveled considerably throughout the West with a view of finding a place more desirable than Nebraska. Although possessed of a fine farm, Mr. Jackson devotes the greater portion of his time to contracting and building and some of the finest structures in different parts of Nebraska are specimens of his skill. Among these is the court house and jail at Clay Center, Clay County. Few citizens in Lancaster County are more popularly known to the first settlers than Mr. Jackson. He married in 1851 Miss Hannah Heater. By this union they have seven children, Mary E., Philip W., E. Z., Catharine S., Clara S., Ida May and George O. Mr. J. is a member of the I. O. O. F., Nemaha Lodge No. 32. His father, Abraham Jackson, and his mother, Mary M., nee Sigley, were natives of Pennsylvania.
GEORGE KING, farmer and stock raiser, Section 1, P. O. Bennet. This representative pioneer of Nebraska is a native of Ohio and was born in Crawford County, December 29, 1829. His father, John King, was a soldier in the war of 1812 under Gen. Wayne and located in Ohio in 1813, being among the early settlers. The subject of this sketch was reared and educated in the Buckeye State. His early days were spent in tilling the soil, and that vocation he has rigidly adhered to. Resided in his native State until 1865, when he came to Nebraska, locating in Otoe County, in Hendricks Precinct, being one of the first in that locality. He built a log house and commenced the arduous undertaking of opening a farm, which at that time, owing to the disadvantages he had to contend with, was no simple task. Mr. King was in limited circumstances financially and for a long time was obliged to go without many of the necessaries and comforts of life for himself and family. By untiring industry and labor that was fraught with all the drawbacks imaginable, he succeeded in placing himself among the substantial agriculturists of Otoe County. After improving and residing on this farm for ten years, he found that all his labors had been in vain, as he was deprived of what he supposed was his home and land by a technicality in the deed. With renewed energy he started anew locating on his present farm in 1875. His estate will compare favorably with any in the precinct, and his home displays taste and comfort. To such sterling and sturdy pioneers the now flourishing State of Nebraska owes a debt of gratitude. They who braved the inclemency of the weather in the western wilds and at times found it almost an impossibility to keep the wolf from the door. Mr. King is an unostentatious gentleman, and is always to be found pursuing the even tenor of his way. He married in 1852, Miss Elizabeth Wine. By this union has eight children, John, Martha, Andrew, George, Charles, Joseph, Cora and Gustena.
JOHN ROBERTSON, farmer and stock raiser, Section 11, P. O. Bennet. This substantial agriculturist is a native of Delaware County, Iowa, and was born February 13, 1845. His father, Mr. G. D. Robertson, and his mother, Elizabeth, were early settlers in Delaware County, and prominently identified for many years. They reared a family of six children, viz.; John (the subject of the sketch), Elizabeth, Jane, Margarette, Agnes and Isabelle. Lost one, Barbara. The family resided in Delaware County, Iowa, until the spring of 1870, when they came to Nebraska, locating in Panama Precinct. The subject of the sketch has been closely associated with the growth and development of the county, and is recognized as one of its progressive farmers. In 1880, Miss Isabelle Dickson became his wife.
D. A. STOCKING, farmer and stock raiser, Section 4, P. O. Bennet. This well known pioneer, and substantial citizen is a native of Ohio, and was born in Cuyahoga County, March 31, 1847. Was reared and resided in his native State until seventeen years of age, then came to Ogle County, Ill., residing until 1869, when he took up his residence in Lancaster County, Neb. Being one of the first settlers, he had all the difficulties of the pioneer to contend with. He has contributed an ample share toward the growth and development of the county. He has a fine farm, the surroundings indicating comfort and prosperity. He was married in 1874, to Miss Polly Giddings, of Illinois. They have three children--Wallace, Burd and Abner.
E. N. HOVEY, farmer and stock raiser, Section 36, P. O. Bennet. One of the largest real estate owners, and most substantial citizens of Grant Precinct, is Mr. E. N. Hovey. He is a native of New York, and was born in Genesee County, April 13, 1820. Was reared to manhood and educated in the Empire State, following agricultural pursuits. In 1856, came west, locating in close proximity to Janesville, Wis., where he was prominently identified as an agriculturist for a number of years. The autumn of 1868, he removed to Nebraska, locating temporarily at Plattsmouth, and in the spring of 1869, located in Lancaster County. For a time, was a resident in the western part of Grant Precinct, eventually locating on his present estate, which consists of 480 acres of choice land. His residence is attractively situated, and the general surroundings indicate prosperity, and the supervision of a careful, judicious manager. Mr. Hovey is a gentleman of clear judgment, profound, thoughtful, and thoroughly conversant with current events of the times. Although past the meridian of life, he is one of the best preserved men in the State, and promises for many years to keep pace with the progress of the State. In 1847, Miss Ann Amelia Merrill became his wife. By this union, they have had five children--Fred A., Charles M., LeRoy G. Edward P. Lost one, Laura A. Mr. H. and family are closely identified with the Methodist Episcopal Church.
GEORGE W. ALLSTOT, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 24, P. O., Bennet. This gentleman is a native of Parke County, Ind., and was born February 12, 1844. When nine years of age he removed with his parents to Dubuque County, Iowa, where he was reared and educated. The family eventually located in Marion County, Iowa, residing there four years. In 1870 came to Nebraska, locating in Lancaster County. Mr. Allstot is numbered among the substantial and progressive agriculturists of Saltillo Precinct. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and is the Fifth Sergeant of Company I, Nebraska National Guards.
ELDER JOHN DIEHL, Section 32, P. O. Bennet. Few citizens of Nebraska are more favorably known in their respective counties, or have contributed more toward the educational or moral status of the community, than Elder John Diehl, who was one of the pioneers of Lancaster County. He is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Northampton County, January 4, 1823. When thirteen years of age he removed with his parents to Ohio, locating for a time in Trumbull and Ashtabula counties, and eventually in Hiram, Portage Co. His father Andrew Diehl, was a contractor and carpenter. The subject of this sketch received the benefits of a good education, and pursued the vocation of school teaching for a number of years, also taught singing and writing school. Being strongly imbued in early life with a spirit of religion, he devoted a great share of his time and talents to the advancement of the Christian religion; and it may be said of him that he has been continually in the harness. In 1860 he was ordained as minister in the Church of Christ, and was prominently identified as an expounder of that doctrine in Portage County, adjacent to Hiram, for a considerable length of time. He also established, and published for a couple of years in Hiram, the Christian Visitor a paper devoted to primitive Christianity. He was intimately acquainted with the late James A. Garfield, living in the same neighborhood for a number of years. The spring of 1868 found him in Nebraska, locating where he now resides. The country at that time was in a wild state and but sparsely settled. Mr. Diehl had the obstacles to contend with which are incidental to the pioneer. His success as a developer of a new country is indicated by his comfortable home and fine farm, which give evidence of his industry and prosperity. Like all truly righteous men, coming to a new country, he brought his religion with him, and did all in his power for the advancement of a religious sentiment in his district--in which he was eminently successful. When a church of Christ was organized, October 23, 1878, he was appointed pastor, and is still in that capacity. During his sojourn in Stockton Precinct, he has at different times been Director and Treasurer of the School Board, and at present (1882) is Moderator. For two years he was Justice of the Peace, and for ten years he has been Clerk of the elections. He is a well-informed gentleman, awake to the interests of his fellow-men, and always found on the right side. He was married, April 5, 1849, to Miss Elizabeth Barb, of Ohio; an estimable lady, who was a cousin to J. H. Kagi, Secretary of War under "Old John Brown," and killed at Harper's Ferry. By this union they have four children; William S., Henry G., Isaac E. and Charles P.