Physical Character | Early Settlement | Indian Troubles|
County Organization | Official Roster | County Statistics|
Railroads | District Schools | Taxation
County Poor Department | County Societies
Lincoln: Early History | Incorporation | Official Roster|
City Institutions | Post Office
Lincoln (cont.): University of Nebraska|
Lincoln (cont.): University of Nebraska (cont.)|
Lincoln (cont.): Insane Hospital|
Nebraska State Penitentiary | The Second Revolt
Lincoln (cont.): Public Schools | Fire Department|
The Press | Churches
Lincoln (cont.): Societies, Associations, Etc.|
Temperance Societies | Musical Societies
Business Interests | Banks | Hotels
Lincoln (cont.): |
Wholesale and Manufacturing Establishments
Biographical Sketches- ABBOTT~ALLEN
10 - 24:
** Lincoln Biographical Sketches ** (cont.)|
| ALFORD~BONNELL | BOHANON~CARR |
| CARTER~CUMMINGS | DAILEY~FEDEWA |
| FULLER~GRIMM | GULICK~HOGE |
| HOLMES~KEELER | KELLY~McCONNIFF |
| McCORD~NANCE | NEWMAN~PHILLIPS |
| PHILPOTT~RANDLE | RAYMOND~SCOTT |
| SEATON~STRICKLAND | SWAN~WALSH |
| WEBER~WUNDERLICH |
Bennet: Churches | Societies ||
| Biographical Sketches - ALLSTOT~GRIBLING
Bennett: Biographical Sketches - HANSON~PIPER|
Bennett: Biographical Sketches - RHEA~WILSON|
Waverly: Biographical Sketches|
Firth: Biographical Sketches|
Roca | Other Points
Grant Precinct | Saltillo Precinct | Stockton Precinct
List of Illustrations in Lancaster County Chapter
(McCORD thru NANCE)
SAMUEL T. McCORD, contractor and builder, was born August 5, 1830, in Mercer County, Penn., where he was raised and educated, and in 1853 went to Jackson County, Iowa, and commenced working at the carpenter and joiner business until 1864, when he went to Idaho Territory, mining, and in the fall of 1867 returned to Iowa; in the spring of 1868 came to Lincoln and commenced contracting and building; in 1873 entered into partnership with a Mr. Peckham for about two years and in 1876 established a business of his own, and contracted for and built T. P. Quick's building, Mr. Alexander's, Henry Veith's and several others. Was married in 1851 to Miss Elizabeth Downing, of Mercer County, Penn. Has four children, Milo G., who is a carpenter and joiner, Mary A., now Mrs. Bohanon, Lenora E., now Mrs. Sheehan, and Dora E., now Mrs. H. Beaty, in the telephone business. Mr. McCord's father graduated and practiced medicine in Pennsylvania, making throat diseases a specialty, and was captain of the Pennsylvania Volunteers, in 1812-13-14, and his grandfathers were both captains of a regiment in the revolutionary war, having risen from the ranks as private. His wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
FRANK E. McCRARY, Deputy Clerk, United States Circuit, District of Nebraska, was born in Bentonsport, Iowa, March 18, 1858. He received his education in academies, and the Maryland Agricultural College. He then engaged in the Chief Quartermaster's Office, U. S. A., St. Paul, Minn. In 1879 he accepted the position of clerk, to the Chief Paymaster Division of the Pacific, San Francisco, Cal. The following year he went to St. Louis as Deputy Clerk, U. S. Circuit Court, from there to Kansas City, in the same position, and in November, 1881, he located in Omaha, in his present position.
L. W. McFADDEN, feed and sale stable, business established in 1879. Mr. McF. was born in Williams County, Ohio, November 11, 1845. About 1854 he moved with his parents to Jackson County, Iowa. He enlisted in January 4, 1864, in Company G., Thirty-first Regiment, Iowa Volunteers, and served until mustered out August 6, 1865. Served during this time with Sherman's Army. He returned to Iowa, and in 1879 he moved to Lincoln, Neb. He was married in Cedar County, Iowa, October 13, 1868, to Miss Amy Morton, of Cedar County. They have three children, Joseph, Grace and Walter. Mr. McF. is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and of Farragut Post G. A. R., of Lincoln.
R. T. McGREW, State agent of Fairbanks & Co., St. Louis Mo., manufacturers' agents for Fairbank Scales, Eclipse Windmills, Railroad Trucks, etc., makes his headquarters at Lincoln. Their sales aggregate $35,000 per annum in this State, exclusive of railroad business. Robert McGrew came to Nebraska in March, 1878, and located at Hastings until January, 1882, engaging in the pump and windmill business. He has been in his present business since April, 1881. He was born in Sullivan, Sullivan Co., Ind., October 25, 1848. That was his home until 1861. In that year he removed to Flat Branch, Shelby Co., Ill., where he remained until 1871. After that he spent a short time in Kansas, and then went back to Illinois, staying there until he came to this State. While at Hastings he did the largest windmill business in the State of Nebraska. His brothers succeeded to his business at that point.
J. G. McINTIRE, proprietor of the Arlington Hotel, was born in Mount Sterling, Ky., January 18, 1846. Lived in Kentucky until 1868, when he came to Kansas. In 1863 he enlisted in the Ninth Indiana Cavalry, and served over two years. He was mustered out in December, 1865. He was in the mercantile line at Farmersville, Ky., until he moved to Frankfort, Marshall Co., Kan., where he also engaged in business for two years. He was then elected Register of Deeds, and served in that capacity for two years. Then became County Clerk for two years. Then engaged in mercantile business at Marysville, Kan., and continued at that until he came to Lincoln, in April, 1881. He was married at Marysville, Kan., December 18, 1874, to Sarah L., daughter of Rev. F. E. Sheldon, a native of Rising Sun, Ohio. They have two children, Minnie and Janes W. They lost one, Robert, aged two years, at Centralia, Kan.
GEORGE Mc MILLAN, professor of Greek language and literature, Nebraska State University. He was born in Belfast, Ireland, May 23, 1832. His parents moved to the United States in 1837, and settled in Ashtabula County, Ohio. He took his preparatory studies in Grand River Institute, Ohio. Then entered Oberlin College, from which he graduated in 1855. The three years following he was engaged in teaching the ancient languages. In 1859 he accepted the chair of Greek language and literature at Hillsdale College, Mich., in which position he remained sixteen years. In 1875 he took the chair of Latin language and literature, at Berea College, Kentucky. From there he removed to Lincoln, Neb., January, 1876, to take his present position. He was married in Wayne County, N. Y., July 22, 1858, to Miss Josephine Young, of that county, her parents being old residents. They have two children, Conway Young, and Bertha Laura. He is a member of the Congregational Church, and of the American Philological Association.
JAMES H. Mc MURTRY, real estate dealer, came to Lincoln in November, 1871, and has been engaged in his present business since. He has been heavily interested in building operations, having invested about $30,000 in business and residence buildings. He was born at Rockville, Park Co., Ind., August 8, 1843. When he was seventeen years of age, he went to Lafayette and carried on a drug business there until 1865, when he sold out and went to Chicago. Remained there until 1868, and then traveled until he came here. He was married at Lafayette, Ind., September 6, 1865, to Amanda E. Wells, a native of Lafayette, Ind. They have one child, Sophie. Mr. McMurtry was educated at the Waveland Presbyterian Institute, in Indiana.
McWILLIAMS & MORTON sewing machines. Represent the New Home, Crown, Eldridge, and others. Firm organized, October, 1881. Mr. E. M. McWilliams, of above firm, was born in Lewis County, N. Y., February 20, 1832. His parents removed to Fond du Lac County, Wis., about 1837, where he received his education. He enlisted in 1861 in the Fourth Regiment Wisconsin Volunteers for three months, re-enlisted in the same year in the Fourteenth Regiment Wisconsin Volunteers, and detailed in special duty. In 1863 he joined the First Michigan Sharpshooters; commissioned Second Lieutenant, and served with them until mustered out in 1865. He then settled in Michigan and engaged in the sewing machine business. In 1872 he located in Brownville, Neb., moved to Nebraska City about 1880, and from there, in 1881, to Syracuse, Otoe County, where he now resides. He was married in Allegan, Mich., July 26, 1863, to Miss Jones, of Allegan. They have three children, Mattie, Minnie and Mary. Mr. McM. is a member of K. of P. and of the I. O. O. F.
J. D. MACFARLAND, land commissioner B. & M. R. R. in Nebraska, was born in Franklin County, Pa., October 22, 1846; was educated there. In 1863 he enlisted in Twenty-second Pennsylvania Cavalry, Company D, and served until the close of the war. He returned to Franklin County, and from there removed to Nebraska in 1867. He first located at Brownville, where he was engaged in the U. S. Land Office. From there he went to Beatrice, and in 1871 finally settled in Lincoln, engaging in the B. & M. R. R. land department. Was appointed to the present position in 1879. Mr. McF. was first married at Lincoln, January 1, 1872, to Miss Carrie L. Kerr, of Ohio. She died, leaving one child, Francis P. He was married to his present wife at Lincoln, October 22, 1878. She was Miss Nannie Cobb, only daughter of Judge Cobb, of the Supreme Court. They have two children, Jennie and Jessie.
W. H. MALICK, carriage manufacturer and painter, was born 12th of November, 1853, at Augustaville, Pa., where he was raised and educated. In 1873 commenced working at carriage trimming and painting at Sunbury, Pa., and remained there until the year 1877. About the 10th of March, 1877, came to Nebraska, located at Lincoln, and worked for P. W. O'Connor in the same line of business for about four years. In August, 1881, engaged in business for himself, and is the only prominent carriage painter and trimmer in the city; he commands a large trade; he also manufactures carriages and buggies to order and for sale. Is a charter member of the Patriotic Sons of America, also member of the United American Mechanics, of Sunbury, Pa.
EDWIN MANCHESTER, baggage agent B. & M. R. R. Company, was born, April 8, 1832, in Dutchess County, N. Y., where he was raised and educated. In 1852 engaged in farming pursuits in the same county and State for some twenty years, and in October, 1872, came to Lincoln and engaged in different occupations. November, 1873, engaged with the B. & M. R. R. Company, as night clerk, for about three years, then as check clerk and baggage master, and in December, 1881, was made baggage agent. Was married in New York in 1854 to Miss Catherine Marlin, of same State. Has eleven children, Edwin, now engineer; Bertie, now operator; Ora, Chester, Willy, Freddie, Frankie, Hattie, Lucia, Nellie and Kittie. Family are members of the Baptist Church.
J. A. MARSHALL, attorney at law, came to Lincoln in 1877, and engaged in practice in partnership with E. E. Brown until February 15, 1881, when he formed a partnership with his present partner, L. C. Burr. He was born in Vernon, Oneida Co., N. Y., February 21, 1846. That was his home until 1869, when he went to Gloversville, N. Y. He graduated at Hamilton College, Clinton, N. Y., in the class of 1868, and from the Albany Law School in 1871. He practiced in New York City and at Gloversville until he came here. Coming to Lincoln on business, he was so well pleased with the country that he concluded to settle. He was married at Schoharie, Schoharie Co., N. Y., January 26, 1876, to Irene W. Lasher, a native of Duanesburgh, Schoharie Co., N. Y. Mr. M. is a member of the A., F. & A. M., 156, Clinton, N. Y., Lodge, and of the Union Club.
MAJ. JOSEPH K. MARLAY came to Nebraska, in June, 1871, and engaged in the drug business at Lincoln, continuing until June, 1876. In 1877, he became Deputy Commissioner of Public Lands and Buildings; is in that position now. He was born in Dayton, Ohio, June 9, 1823; he lived in Ohio until he came to Nebraska. He assisted in raising Company A, Sixtieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, in February, 1862, and entered the service as Major of that regiment. Served until the spring of 1863, and was then appointed by President Lincoln, Provost Marshal of the Sixth Ohio Congressional District, headquarters at Hillsboro; continued in that office until it was abolished in September, 1865. He was married in Hillsboro, September, 1858, to Mary E. McReynolds, a native of Kentucky. They have seven children, Ella T., George W., Fannie McR., Paul H., Walter M., Carlton C. and Florence. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Lodge, Chapter and Commandery, and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
[Portrait of T. M. Marquette.]
HON. TURNER M. MARQUETTE, attorney, came to Plattsmouth, Neb., in December, 1856, and was employed there that winter as a clerk. In April following he commenced practice, and continued at it until he removed to Lincoln in May, 1874. He was a Territorial Representative in 1857, 1858 and 1859, and in 1860 was elected to the Council. He held that position four years, and was re-nominated, but declined. In 1866 he was a candidate for Congress under the new Constitution, and was elected delegate that fall. He has been attorney for the B. &. M. R. R. ever since they have had a road in Nebraska, and carries on a general practice along with it. He was born near Springfield, Clarke Co., Ohio, in 1831, and lived in Ohio until the spring of 1856, when he went to Kansas. After spending a few months there and in Iowa, he came to Nebraska. He was admitted to the bar in Iowa in 1856, and in Nebraska in 1857.
C. W. & W. W. MARSH, western office of the Sycamore Marsh Binder Manufacturing Company, and manufacturers of Marsh Harvester, wire and twine binders, Corn Sulky Plow, Marsh Sulky Plow, Marsh Cultivators, Marsh Wind Mill, etc. Wallace Wheeler, General Agent for the United States. Lincoln is the supply depot for the West. D. L. Griggs, Transfer Agent, Sycamore Ill.
LEWIS A MARVIN, was born in Sussex County, N. J., June 3, 1844. He enlisted on May 27, 1861, in Company D, Third New Jersey Volunteer Infantry, to serve three years, and was discharged at Washington, July 8, 1862. He re-enlisted in Company B, Thirteenth New Jersey Volunteer Infantry, March 17, 1865, and was mustered out July 17, 1865. He was wounded thirteen times. He lived in New York City six months, and in Jersey City three months, and in New Jersey two years, after the war. He then moved to Monroe County, Pa., where he lived several years, and moved from there to Iowa, where he lived until he came here. During his stay in Iowa, he worked as a carpenter and joiner, and as a laborer.
HON. O. P. MASON, attorney, came to Nebraska on July 10, 1855, and located at Nebraska City. That was his home until the fall of 1874. He has been engaged in law business and farming ever since his arrival. He was first elected to the Legislature in 1858, and served in the council in 1860, continuing for about six years. He was one of the most active members of the committee which framed the first constitution. He was for two terms President of the Territorial Council. He was appointed June 15, 1867, Judge of the Supreme Court, and was elected in the fall of 1868. This office he held until the month of January, 1872. He was elected Chief Justice in 1868. He has practiced law since he retired from the bench. He is a native of Brookfield Township, Madison Co., N. Y., and was born in May, 1829. That was his home until 1852. He traveled in the South two years, and resided in Ohio one year prior to coming to Nebraska. He was admitted to the bar in the spring of 1854, at Norwalk, Ohio, having had more or less experience in law matters while traveling and collecting in the South. He came to Lincoln to reside in the spring of 1874, still retaining his home in Otoe County. He was married in New York State, to Mary J. Turner, of Munnsville, Madison Co., N. Y. His wife died in May, 1874, leaving four children--Jessie E., Grace, Alice K., and Bessie B.
ALBERT F. MASTERMAN, Constable and detective, was born April 29, 1848, at Halifax City, Nova Scotia, and went with his parents at an early age to the West Indies, remaining there about four years. Then came to Rochester, York State, and in 1856, went to Johnson County, Iowa, and worked on a farm until the war broke out. In 1862, enlisted as private in Company B, of the Twenty-eighth Iowa Infantry, under Col. John L. Connell. Participated in the battles with his regiment, and was mustered out in May, 1865, at Davenport, Iowa, and during active service was taken prisoner, on April 8, 1864, at Sabine Cross Roads, La., and confined in Tyler prison, at Camp Fort, Tex., for fourteen months. Attempted to escape three different times, but was each time recaptured. After the war, returned to Iowa County, Iowa, and engaged in farming, and in 1871, came to York County, Neb., and homesteaded 160 acres, then went to work for the B. & M. R. R. Co., also for the M. P. R. R. Co. Afterwards came to Lincoln, and engaged in the mason business here for about six years. Then was janitor of the Journal office for two years, and afterward was appointed special Policeman and Constable and in 1880, was elected Constable. Was married on March 8, 1866, to Miss Mercy Ann Smart, of Marengo, Iowa. Has three children--Charles H., Alice A., and Ernest V. Belongs to the G. A. R. Farragut Post No. 25, and was one of the first to organize the Post, and was made First Officer of the Guard. Is a member of the Andersonville Survivors Association.
[Portrait of H. P. Mathewson.]
DR. H. P. MATHEWSON, Superintendent State Hospital for the insane, is a native of Caledonia County, Vt., where he was born December 14, 1829. He entered Dartmouth College in 1849, and graduated in 1852. He then engaged in the practice of his profession in Vermont. In 1862, he was commissioned by President Lincoln, Surgeon in the United States Volunteer Service, and continued in this department until the close of the war. He then returned to Vermont, and from there removed to Nebraska, in 1867. He settled in Omaha, and engaged in practice until 1877, when he removed to Lincoln, and took charge of the hospital for the insane. He was married in Boston, Mass., December 7, 1857, to Miss Mary M. Sanborn, a native of Vermont. They have three children--Harley P. jr., Edward S., and Carlton. Dr. M. is a member of the Nebraska State Medical Association, Omaha Pathological Society, and the Omaha Medical College.
A. A. MEAD, secretary B. & M. R. R. Land Department, was born in Williston, Washington Co., Vt., June 9, 1840. Removed with his parents to Washington County, N. Y., when young. He was educated at Fort Edward Institute, and while yet a boy, entered the Glens Falls Bank, remaining until 1864. Held different positions in the bank, at the time he resigned being paying teller. Then removed to Hannibal, Mo., and entered the service of the H. & St. J. R. R., in which he continued until about 1874. During a portion of this time he was paymaster, and assistant treasurer of the road. In 1874, he settled in Lincoln, Neb., in the B. & M. R. R. Land Department. Was appointed to present position in July, 1881. He was married in Keokuk, Iowa, December 8, 1875, to Miss Haskell, of Tennessee. Mr. M. is a member of the A., F. & A. M. Lodge, and Chapter of Glens Falls, N. Y.
L. MEYER, dry goods and groceries, business established in 1874, dry goods added in 1880. Employs five clerks and carries a stock of about $8,000 to $10,000 in the season. Mr. M. was born in Schuttuber, Bohemia, August 12, 1853, attended school nine years, and in 1870, removed to the United States. After remaining a few months in Des Moines, Iowa, he finally settled in Lincoln, Neb., in the same year he engaged in clerking, until 1874. He was married in Lincoln, October 2, 1879, to Miss Annie Gunnasan of Lincoln. They have one son, Max. Mr. M. was appointed Notary Public, in January, 1881, and United States Gauger, in October, 1879. He is a member of the K. of P., also of the Board of Trade.
A. R. MITCHELL, M. D., physician and surgeon, was born near Cambridge, Henry Co., Ill. He commenced reading medicine with Dr. Hiram Nance, and continued the study with Dr. W. H. Cole, graduating from Rush Medical College, February 25, 1879. In March 1879, he came to Lincoln and engaged in practice. He was appointed Assistant Surgeon of the B. M. R. R. He gives particular attention to surgery and surgical diseases of women. He is a member of the State and County Medical Societies, and one of the Executive Committee of the Lincoln Society, being one of the original promoters of the organization.
JOHN W. MITCHELL, City Weigher, was born January 5, 1827, at Bentleyville, Washington Co., Pa., where he was raised and educated, and in 1846, engaged as clerk in the mercantile business for about five years, then opened business for himself, until 1856, when he sold out and went to Illinois. Engaging there with the R. I. & P. R. R. Company, as foreman of construction for one year, then went to Iowa City, Iowa, and was appointed as janitor to the State University there for about four years. In 1863, was made City Marshal of same town. In 1865, acted as agent for the Iowa Central Insurance Company. In 1866, went into the milling business, and in the spring of 1869, came to Lincoln, Neb., and engaged in the hotel business, for about one year, and in 1874, went to Roca, Lancaster County, and engaged in the quarry business, and in 1876, returned to Lincoln, and was elected Constable, and October, 1879, was appointed City Weight Master. Was married March 5, 1850, to Miss Nancy Barra, who was born in Washington County, Pa., and has seven children living; Elizabeth, now Mrs. Jackson, Ula, also married, George H., conductor, Thomas and Joseph (twins), McClellan and Eliza and two deceased. Family members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Also is one of the Sons of Temperance, joined the same in 1847, acted as Treasurer, and Deputy Grand Worthy Patriarch, and in 1853 was made Postmaster under the administration of Franklin Pierce, at Bellesville, Pa.
GEN. M. MONTGOMERY, came to Lincoln, in October, 1873, and engaged in the practice of his profession. He is a native of Olivesburg, Ohio, and resided at Ashland, Ohio, prior to removing to Beaver Dam, Wis., in 1850. In 1855, he took up his residence at Sparta. In August, 1862, he raised Company D, Twenty-fifth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and when the regiment was organized he was commissioned Colonel of it. He continued in command until June 7, 1865, when the regiment was mustered out. He also commanded Montgomery's Brigade of Kimball's Provisional Division, at and near Vicksburg, and also of a brigade attached to the Sixteenth Army Corps. He was wounded at Atlanta, July 22, 1864, and lost an arm. He was taken prisoner there and taken to Macon, and then to Charleston, being exchanged after the fall of Atlanta. He was then ordered to go to Wisconsin, on recruiting service, but returned to his regiment at Beaufort. He had command of the Second Brigade, First Division, Seventeenth Corps, on the campaign through the Carolinas. In the spring of 1865, he was promoted to the rank of Brigadier General, for gallant and meritorious services in the campaigns through Georgia, and the Carolinas. After his discharge he returned to Wisconsin. He was married in Perrysville, Ashland Co., Ohio, April, 1850, to Ellen M., daughter of Dr. T. Turner of that place, a native of New York State. They have six children; Carrol S., attorney at Omaha, a graduate of the Wisconsin University and law school, George M., associated with his father in practice, Sarah E., now Mrs. John A. Buckstaff, Clara, Eugene T. and Gage. The General is a member of the State and County Bar Association and of the A., F. & A. M. He was High Priest of Sparta Chapter, No. 19, R. A. M., and his sword was captured when he was taken prisoner and recovered by the General fifteen years later.
THOMAS O. MOON, State Agent Mutual Aid Society of Iowa, was born June 9, 1843, in Hancock County, Ind., and at the age of seven went to Iowa, with his parents, availing himself of a common school education, and then went to Oskaloosa and attended the Quaker College for about one year, and from thence to Des Moines, Iowa, where he attended the Iowa College of law, and graduated in 1879, then went to Warren County, and practiced law for about two years. In April, 1881, came to Lincoln, and was appointed General State Agent for the Mutual Aid Society of Des Moines, Iowa, as well as practicing law in different courts. He was married in 1864, to Miss Elizabeth Neal of North Berwick, Me., in Iowa. They have six children, Clark E., Lura A., May, William Guy, Bessie and John. He joined the Masons in 1865, in Iowa, and is a member of Lincoln Lodge, No. 19, as Master Mason, and he also belongs to the Quaker Church.
JOHN H. MORAN, foreman in the foundry, was born 1850, in Cincinnati, Ohio, and served his apprenticeship at Alton, Ill., under Dunford and Davis, for about five years, and in 1873 went to Atchison, Kan., and engaged as head workman in Seaton & Lea's foundry, there for about twelve years, and in July, 1881, came to Lincoln and was made foreman of their foundry here. He is a member of the Catholic Church. His parents were both born in Ireland, and came to America, in 1840. His father is employed in the same foundry.
WILLIAM L. MORRIS, florist, was born in October, 1856, in Pennsylvania where he was raised and educated. He then went with his parents to Iowa and worked on a farm, and in the nursery business. In 1878 he came to Lincoln and engaged in the floral business, and has a large variety of bedding plants as well as tropical, and in 1881 was appointed superintendent of gardening at the State Asylum. He was married in October, 1880, to Miss Mary Jane Davidson, of Brooklyn, Iowa. They are both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
M. M. MULFORD, contractor and plasterer, was born in Bridgeton, Cumberland Co., N. J., March 13, 1850, where he lived until 1860, and from thence he went to Crumpton, Md., where he lived until 1859, was partly educated there and finished his education at Bridgeton. After leaving school he went to sea, following the waters until 1867, when he was shipwrecked at the mouth of the Chester River on the 13th day of December, together with his father, uncle and two colored men. The vessel, which was a total wreck, belonged to his father. After waiting three days they managed to land on the ice and then rescued themselves after walking thirty-five miles through a terrible snow-storm in wet clothes before they could get aid. He then went back to Crumpton, Md., where he remained until 1870, his health being very poor ever after the wreck. From there he went to Bridgeton, N. J., where he learned his trade in 1873. He then went to Streator, Ill., where he went into partnership with his brother, a plasterer, and went to building very extensively doing all of the main buildings and a great many dwellings throughout the city. In 1875 he returned East, and in June, 1876, he went to Columbus, Ohio, where he worked on the ornamental work in the asylum. In August he went back to Streator and once more went to contracting, and in the spring of 1878 he came to Lincoln, Neb., and worked on the ornamental work in the Government postoffice. After finishing that he went to contracting, plastering a large majority of the large buildings throughout the city. He was married June 15, 1879, to Miss Annie Osborn at Lincoln. She was born October 27, 1859, in Decatur County, Iowa. They have one child, Pearl Eilleen, born March 29, 1881, at Lincoln, Neb. In the summer of 1881, he plastered about 35,000 yards of plastering, and has good prospects for this summer, having just finished the Odd Fellows Hall here, one of the finest buildings in the State. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., Cumberland, N. J., and No. 35, of Bridgeton, N. J. He also belongs to the Union Mechanic, of New Jersey, and No. 27 of Bridgeton, N. J.
IRA A. NADEAU, of the firm of Stevens, Waters & Nadeau, lumber merchants, was born at Monroe, Mich., January 23, 1855. He lived at Monroe until he came to Lincoln in the summer of 1881. He was educated at that place and read law in the Office of Congressman Willits at Monroe, where he was admitted to the bar and practiced until coming West.
NAHRUNG & MEYER, wholesale and retail dealers in agricultural implements and farm machinery, shelf and heavy hardware. They carry in stock walking and riding cultivators, sulky and walking plows, Moline Company Wagons, Smith an P., Wagons, Empire Combined Harvester and Binder and Self-binder, Aultman & Taylor Thresher, Romeo Buggies, also Howe Sewing Machines. C. Nahrung of above firm was born in Frankfort-on-the-Main, Germany, June 23, 1830. He came to the United States in 1850 and located in Cumberland, Md., from there he moved to St. Louis then to St. Joseph, Mo., in 1853. He engaged in dealing in general merchandise in Wathena, Kan., a number of years and from there moved to Nebraska in 1880, and settled in Lancaster County. He is still engaged in stock raising and has a farm of 160 acres near Lincoln where he keeps full-blooded Jersey cattle, which he bought in St. Joseph, Mo., and also full-blooded Berkshire pigs. He was married in Cumberland, Md., in 1850 to Miss Bertha Young, a native of Frankfort-on-the-Main. They have eight children, Charles, Augusta, now Mrs. Jacob Martin, Emelia, Liddie, now Mrs. J. H. Buerstatte, William H., Lizzie, Viola and Olive--the latter twins. Mr. Nahrung is a member of the German Methodist Episcopal Church, A., F. & A. M, Lodge and Chapter, I. O. O. F., Lodge and Encampment and the German Literary Society. August Meyer of above firm, was born in Prussia, February 17, 1839, came to the United States in 1855 and located in Clayton County, Iowa, and from there removed to Nebraska in 1867, settled in Lancaster County and engaged in farming until 1881 when he came into Lincoln. He was married in Lancaster Co., Neb., August 23, 1867, to Miss Louisa Stutthart. They have five children, John, Edward, Caroline, William and Pearlie.
[Portrait of Albinus Nance.]
HON. ALBINUS NANCE, Governor of the State of Nebraska, was born at Lafayette, Stark Co., Ill., March 30, 1848, and is the oldest son of Dr. Hiram Nance, who has been for many years one of the most successful physicians in Central Illinois. The ancestors of Governor Nance on his father's side were French-Huguenots, and were driven from France by the religious intolerance and persecutions that followed the revocation of the Edict of Nantes. They came with many others to the new world and formed a prosperous community in the State of North Carolina, their decendents moved northward and westward as the settlements advanced, and in 1836 Dr. H. Nance, above mentioned, located in the then new State of Illinois, the far West of that period. The Governor's ancestors on his mother's side were of English origin. His mother's maiden name was Sarah R. Smith, she was born in the State of Ohio. At the commencement of the war, Albinus was a mere boy; too young to become a soldier, but at a later period of the struggle he enlisted in the Ninth Illinois Cavalry. At the date of enlistment he was only sixteen years old. It is one of the traditions of the family that the young soldier was mustered in contrary to the wishes and earnest protests of his parents. He continued in the service until the close of the war, and participated in the following battles, viz.: Guntown, Hurricane Creek, Tupelo, Columbia, Tenn., Spring Hill, Franklin and Nashville. In the charge which broke the enemy's line at the battle of Nashville he was slightly wounded. When the war closed and his regiment was disbanded he became a student at Knox College, Galesburg, Ill., taking part of the classical course. Soon after leaving college he commenced the study of law and in 1870 was admitted to the bar by the Supreme Court of Illinois. Impressed with the belief that the West would afford a more promising field for the employment of his youthful energies he came to Nebraska in 1871 and took a homestead in Polk County, devoting part of his time to farming and giving some attention to the practice of law. Finally he removed to Osceola, the county-seat of Polk County, and soon established a very lucrative law practice. In 1874 his friends submitted his name to the Republican convention of the Thirteenth District for Representative in the State Legislature. The convention was composed of delegates from the following named counties: Platt, Butler, Polk, Hamilton, York, Fillmore, Clay and Adams. A prolonged and excited contest occurred in the convention. There were seven candidates in all, and the friends of each worked with untiring energy. Finally, after much balloting Albinus Nance received the nomination by a majority of one vote This was the commencement of a remarkable political career. His principal opponent in the convention entered the field as a independent candidate and desperate efforts were made to defeat the regular candidate, but with out success. Nance was elected by about 2,000 majority and during the ensuing session of the Legislature made a good record as a member of the House. In 1376 he was one of the six delegates chosen by the Republican State Convention to represent Nebraska in the Republican National Convention at Cincinnati and was elected chairman of the delegation. During that year he was re-nominated for the Legislature and re-elected almost without opposition. When the Legislature convened he was elected Speaker of the House. The splendid record that he made as a presiding officer brought him prominently before the people as a man worthy of additional honors, and in 1878 he was nominated for Governor by the Republican State Convention and was elected by a very large majority. In 1880 he was re-nominated by acclamation, and was re-elected by a majority larger than that of any other candidate on the State ticket. The distinguishing feature of his administration had been an unassuming but inflexible determination to execute the laws with fidelity to the best interests of the people of Nebraska. Since the commencement of his first term the vast and varied resources of the State have been wonderfully developed, and the Governor often refers with commendable pride to the rapid growth of his adopted State during the years he has occupied the position of chief executive. He was married in 1875 to Miss Sarah White, daughter of Egbert and Mary White, of Farragut, Iowa. A sweet little child, Nellie, now five years old, is the only darling of the Governor's family.