KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS


Andreas' History of the State of Nebraska

Johnson County
Produced by Karen Elliott.



PART 1:

Location, Natural Features, etc. | Early History
Organization and Political History

PART 2:

Educational | Railroads | Population | Financial
General Statistics | County Societies

PART 3:


Tecumseh:   Early Settlement | Local Matters
The Press | Churches | Societies | Hotels
Swartville

PART 4:

Tecumseh (cont.):
Biographical Sketches - AUSTIN~HOWARTH

PART 5:

Tecumseh (cont.):
Biographical Sketches - JOLLY~YOUNG

PART 6:

Sterling:   Biographical Sketches
Elk Creek:   Biographical Sketches

PART 7:





Helena:   Biographical Sketches
Vesta:   Biographical Sketches
Spring Creek:   Biographical Sketches
Lincoln Precinct (Biographical Sketches only)

List of Illustrations in Johnson County Chapter



PART 6


STERLING.

Twelve miles northwest of Tecumseh is the village of Sterling, the second point in importance after the county seat. In 1870, after the survey and location of the Atchison & Nebraska Railroad the town was platted, William Mann and John Bentz, proprietors. It was surveyed by W. L. Dunlap. Mr. Mann, by the gift of forty acres of land to the railroad company, upon which was located the depot, thought to draw the settlement upon his property, but was unsuccessful. He also erected a hotel, which is still standing but unoccupied, being away from the business portion of the village. In 1870 Mr. Mann erected a grist-mill, and build a dam across the Nemaha River, which passes through Sterling. The mills were purchased by John Houck in 1872, and he still operates them. The main building is 24x40 feet, two stories in height, the capacity being three run of stone. It was during 1872 that the Sterling House, now managed by M. S. Townsley, was erected. About this time, when the future of the village seemed assured, stores and dwelling houses sprang up quite rapidly.

As it stands, Sterling is a brisk, growing village of about 700 inhabitants. It is pleasantly located in the valley of the Nemaha, a short distance from the river, and contains some twenty-five prosperous business houses. Besides the mill mentioned above, it has a substantial elevator, built by C. S. Sprague, in 1881, and now run by him--capacity 6,000 bushels. Its one lumber yard is controlled by the Chicago company. The fine iron bridge across the river, built in 1875, brings the village into communication with the agricultural districts of the county, and is an important factor in the development of the general trade. The county voted about $6,000 to aid in its construction. In addition to the Sterling House the village and traveling public support the Central Hotel, which is maintained in first-class style. It was built in 1879 by Dr. C. W. Moore, who is its present landlord.

The Bank of Sterling, which fosters the active trade of the place, was organized in July, 1881, under the general laws of the State. Its authorized capital is $50,000. Officers, C. A. Holmes, president; W. Freeburn, vice-president; W. S. Bowman, cashier.

Sterling was incorporated as a village July 8, 1876, and the following officers elected: Board of Trustees, A. Shipman, A. Pearson, W. Johnson, W. W. Borland and W. B. Rowell; J. M. Borland, Clerk. Present officers: Board of Trustees, K. A. Moore, J. C. Mohrman, V. Zink, N. E. Miller, D. Bales; Clerk, J. M. Borland; Chief of Police, Wm. Grimes.

The village is favored with two papers--one being of home print. The Sterling Press was established May 14, 1881, by D. T. Sherman, its present editor and proprietor. It has changed from a five-column quarto to a six-column folio, and discarded the patent outsides. The Press is Republican in politics, and meets the local wants of the community. The Sterling News, Democratic in politics is published by C. W. Pool, editor of the Johnson County Journal, Tecumseh. It was established in 1877 by Messrs. Borland & Robbins, and after several changes the paper came into the possession of Mr. Pool. The composition and press work are done in the Journal office.

Four religious societies represent this sentiment, without which a community is imperfect. The Methodist Episcopal Church was built in 1875, at a cost of $800, but the society has no settled pastor. The society is about to erect a parsonage. The Baptists completed their edifice the next year for $1,500, Rev. J. M. Campbell having charge of the society. The Lutherans worship n the Methodist Episcopal Church, Rev. Mr. Berger, pastor. The Presbyterians are about to build, but at present worship in the Methodist Episcopal Church, Rev. A. S. Powell, pastor.

The village takes a just pride in its district school, which has an attendance of 220. The building, a large two-story frame structure, is inadequate to the growing demands of the district, and another schoolhouse will soon be erected. That now occupied was erected in the summer of 1875 at a cost of $1,800. S. S. Jones is principal of the school, and will soon require another assistant.

In regard to societies, the village has a lodge of Masons (No. 70), Dr. A. Shipman, W. M.; also an Odd Fellows lodge (No. 63), organized in 1876, Lou Winters, N. G. The membership of each is about forty. The recent formation of a literary society is another indication of active social life.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

ALDEN B. ATKINS, farmer and stock raiser, Section 7, P. O. Sterling, was born and reared in Will County, Ill., and followed the farming industry there till 1871, when he came here, and has very successfully followed his present industry here since. In 1860, he was married to Miss Elizabeth M. Macey, who was born in Indiana, and reared in Illinois. They have a family of six sons and two daughters--Eudorus A. and Ulysses A. (twins), Ida A. John A. and James G. (twins) Walter C., Julia E. and Clate H. Mr. Atkins has been an active worker in the development of his present industry since coming here.

B. J. BAKER, farmer and stock raiser, Section 17, P. O. Sterling, was born and reared in Cumberland County, Pa., where he was identified with the farming industry till 1845, when he enlisted his services in the American Army of invasion for Mexico. Saw active service at the battle of Buena Vista, and was with the army till the end of the war, when he was honorably discharged at Fort Brown, Texas, 1850. After the war, he returned to his native State, but left soon after for the West and Pacific coast, through which he traveled till 1856, when he returned to Pennsylvania and was married to Miss S. J. Montgomery, of his native county. In the same year, he came here and located, and took up a regular pioneer life, which he has very successfully carried through. He has been an active worker in the development of the social life of his locality.

WILLIAM W. BORLAND, blacksmith and wagon maker, P. O. Sterling, was born and reared in Hardin County, Ohio, and took up his present industry, which he followed till 1866, when he came to Nebraska and located in Johnson County, when he took up the agricultural and stock raising industry, which he successfully followed for about six years, when he came here and has been actively connected with the present industry since. In 1860, he was married to Miss Deborah A. Sexton, who was born in Ohio, and who passed away from this life in 1873, and is buried in the cemetery Vesta Precinct, leaving a family of two sons and five daughters. In 1874, he was married to Miss Annie, sister to his former wife. They have a family of three sons and one daughter. Mr. Borland has been prominently identified with the development of the social life of his locality since coming here.

W. S. BOWMAN, cashier of Bank of Sterling, Neb., was born and reared in Jersey County, Ill., and came to Nebraska in 1877. Engaged actively in stock industry until 1881, when he joined the present corporation upon its organization, and has acted as its cashier since.

J. J. DILLON, dealer in stock and grain, P. O. Sterling. Mr. Dillon was born and reared in Sangamon County, Ill., where he took up the stock business, and successfully followed it there till 1866, when he came here, and has been actively connected with the stock and agricultural industries of this county since. In 1868, he was married to Miss Sophia J. Irwin, who was born and reared in his native county. They have a family of two sons--Joshua S. and Robert E. Mr. Dillon has been an active worker in the development of the social and business life of his county since coming here.

JOHN EVANS, farmer and stock raiser, Section 6, P. O. Sterling, was born and reared in Kentucky, where he followed the blacksmithing business until 1854, when he removed to Missouri, where he took up the farming business, which he followed there until 1863, when he came here, and has been actively connected with the present industry here since. In 1862, he was married to Miss Frances I. Cox, who was born and reared in Missouri. They have a family of three daughters and three sons--Matilda J., Senea A., Keturah A., James W., Charles E. and Robert E. Mr. E. has been an active worker in the development of the different industries of his locality.

WILLIAM FREEBURN, vice president of the Sterling National Bank, was born and reared in Gallowayshire, Scotland, and came to America in 1839, at the age if thirteen, and settled in Virginia, where he followed the business of carpenter, and after following his business through the Western States and Territories, he came here in 1857, and has been actively connected with the agricultural and stock industry of this locality since. Mr. Freeburn has been an active worker in the development of the many industries of this locality since coming here.

JOHN HOUCK, proprietor Sterling Mills, is a native of Pennsylvania, and came to Nebraska in 1867, and took up the agricultural industry here, which he successfully followed until 1872, when he took up the present business. Married Miss Rebecca Rutter, who was born in Ohio, and who passed away from this life in 1878, and is buried in the Sterling Cemetery, leaving one son and daughter, Laura and Albert.

PATRICK KALAHER, farmer and stock raiser, Section 32, Smartville P. O., was born in County Limerick, Ireland, and came to America about 1852, and settled in Illinois, where he was actively identified until 1865, when he came west, and after spending one year in Utah and about three years in the mountains, on the U. P. R. R., he came here and has been actively connected with the agricultural and stock industry of this locality since. In 1863, he was married to Miss Nora Nestor, who was born in County Clare, Ireland. They have a family of four sons and three daughters, Mary, Daniel, Michael, Nora, Morgan, Annie and the baby. Mr. Kalaher has been an active worker in the development of the social life of this locality since coming here.

J. C. MOHRMAN, proprietor of one of the Syracuse mills, Syracuse, Neb. Mr. M. is a native of Ohio, entered the mercantile business in McGregor, Iowa, followed it there until 1870, when he came to Nebraska, and has successfully followed it in this State since. In 1872, he was married to Miss Lizzie Petring, born in St. Louis, Mo. They have one son and daughter, Frank and Eva. Mr. M. bought the present mill in 1881.

R. S. RISSER, meat market, Sterling, was born and reared in Mount Joy, Lancaster Co., Pa. Came to Nebraska, in 1876, and has been actively identified with the present business here since, in the meantime conducting farming. Married in 1865, to Miss Sarah Hershey of Mount Joy, Pa. They have a family of two sons and one daughter, Horace H., Philip A. and Edith.

A. SHIPMAN, M. D., was born and reared in Ontario, Canada. He is a graduate of the College of Physicians and Surgeons, of Keokuk, Iowa. He served during the war of 1861, about two years in the Fifth Regiment, Iowa Volunteers, and then held a position as Captain in the Iowa State service until after the close of the war. He is a member of the Nebraska State Medical Society. He is president of the Johnson County Medical Society, and United States Pension Surgeon.

C. S. SPRAGUE, grain, stock and coal merchant, Sterling. Mr. Sprague was born and reared in Franklin County, Ohio, and removed to Iowa, in 1854, where he was identified with farming industry till the breaking out of the war, when he enlisted his services in Company F. Fifth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and remained in active service till the end of the war, when he was honorably discharged as veteran of the Fifth Iowa Cavalry. In 1863, he was married to Miss Lucinda Matthews, who was born in Indiana and reared in Iowa. They have a family of two sons and three daughters, Ada, William T., Bertha, Archie and Kitty. In 1871, he came here and has been actively connected with the development of the business and social life of this locality.

R. D. SWALLOW, farmer and stock raiser, Section 8, P. O. Sterling, was born and reared in Luzerne County, Pa. In 1856, he came to Nebraska, and was engaged in the surveying business for three years, after which he returned to his native State and engaged in farming industry there until 1871, when he came here, settled and has been actively connected with his present industry since. In 1863, he was married in Illinois, to Miss Annie Carnahan, who was born and reared in Pennsylvania. They have a family of one son and two daughters, May, Maud and Harry.

CHARLES P. TRIPP, merchant, Sterling, was born and reared in Watertown, N. Y., and engaged at the mercantile business here at the age of twelve years 1850, and has continuously followed it since. In 1870, he came to Nebraska, and settled in Sterling, and has been active in the developing industries of this locality since. In 1860, he was married to Miss Martha Lanfere, who was born and reared in Watertown, N. Y.

JOHN J. WATSON, P. M., Latrobe, P. O., was born in Clearfield, Pa., and reared in Wheeling, W.Va., where he was connected with the mercantile business until 1856, when he came here and has been actively connected with the agricultural and stock industry of this locality since. In 1848, he was married to Miss Ann Eliza Allison, who was born and reared n West Virginia. They have an adopted son, William Clay Watson. In 1862, he was appointed to the incumbency of his present position, and has been appointed for each continuous term since. He has been an active worker in the development of the social life of his locality since coming here.

CHARLES C. WILSON, Postmaster of Sterling, born in Wayne, Lafayette Co., Wis., and came to Nebraska in 1866 and settled in Johnson County with his father, John C., a native of England. In 1877, he entered the mercantile business here, and served as Deputy Postmaster until 1881, when he was appointed Postmaster. Was married in 1881, to Miss Lillie G. Moore, who was born in Pennsylvania.

V. ZINK, bakery and grocery, Sterling, is a native of Germany, and came to America in 1847, at the age of four years and settled in Ohio. In 1861, enlisted in Company B. Thirty-eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and remained in active service till end of the war: was honorably discharged as veteran of Thirty-eighth. In 1866, came to Nebraska and started in present business and has successfully conducted it since. In 1866, married Miss Leah Bales, who was born in Henry County, Ohio. They have four sons, Loyal Royal, Charles Edwin, Roscoe Rossa and Valentine William. Mr. Zink is active in connection with the Methodist Church here and also in the Masonic fraternity.

ELK CREEK.

Elk Creek, seven miles southeast of Tecumseh, on the line of the Atchison & Nebraska Railroad, was laid out by that company, Mr. Iddings being the surveyor of the town site. A water power flouring mill is in operation here. The town has a good hotel, large school house, an elevator, lumber yard and small stock yards. A dozen stores do the business of the place. The only church in town at present is the one put up by the Methodists, in 1877. There are about 200 inhabitants in Elk Creek at present, but the town is thriving and bids fair to improve materially. R. W. Weaver is the Postmaster at the Elk Creek office.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

B. W. BAIRD, farmer and stock raiser, Section 7, Tecumseh P. O., was born and reared in Clinton County, Pa., and came to Nebraska in 1866, and has been actively connected with the agricultural and stock industry of this locality since. In 1865, he was married to Miss Ann E. Bryson, who was born and reared in Xenia, Ohio. They have a family of one daughter and four sons, Nettie Grace, William C., Robert A., John G. and Arthur. Mr. Baird has been active in the social life of his locality since coming here.

WILLIAM J. BLYSTONE, farmer and stock raiser, Section 9, P. O. was born and reared in Clinton County, Ind., and followed farming till 1864, when he enlisted in Co. A, Fortieth Volunteers, Indiana, and remained in active service till 1866, when he was honorably discharged and pensioned. After the war he came here and entered the present property in 1866, and after spending two years in the territories of Dakota, Wyoming, Montana and Colorado, he returned here and has prosecuted his present industries successfully since. In 1871 he was married to Miss Mary Pounds, who was born and reared in Mason County, Ill. They have one son, Samuel C.

JACOB BLAKELEY, farmer and stock raiser, Section 8, Tecumseh P. O., was born in New Jersey, and reared in Mason County, Ill., where he followed farming till 1869, when he came here and has been actively connected with the present industries here since. In 1853, he was married to Miss Cinderella Vallaningham, who was born in Indiana and reared in Mason County, Ill. They have a family of five sons, Franklin P., Sherman L., Luther L., Holly N. and Walter A. He has been actively identified with the development of the social life of the locality since coming here.

M. C. BRYSON, farmer and stock raiser, Section 7, Tecumseh P. O., was born and reared in Northumberland County, Penn., and followed the farming industry alternately in Pennsylvania, Ohio and Illinois till 1866, when he came here and has been active in that connection here since. In 1840 he was married to Miss Mary A. Hogue, who was born and reared in his native county. They have a family of two daughters and one son, Ann E., now Mrs. B. W. Baird, of Johnson County; Ree Ella, now Mrs. W. W. Griffin, of York, Neb. and Robert, married October, 1880 to Miss Elizabeth A. Asher, who was born in Ontario, Canada. They have one daughter, Ree Anna. Robert Bryson served in One Hundred and Second Illinois Volunteers, Co. H, from 1862 till the end of the war, was honorably discharged.

M. K. CODY, farmer and stock raiser, Elk Creek. Born in Onondaga County, N. Y., in 1821. In 1841 he was married in Ohio to Miss Mary Baldwin, who was born in New York in 1822. Mr. and Mrs. C. spent several years in Ohio, Michigan and Wisconsin. In 1859 they came to Nebraska, settled in Johnson County, where they took up the life of pioneer, which they have very ably carried through. Mr. C. has been very active in the social and political life in his locality since his arrival. He has served twice in the State Legislature. Has also been in the Judge's and Treasurer's office of the county and many minor offices, and is still active in the social and business life of his locality. He has a family of three sons and one daughter, George W., of Tulare County, Cal.; Z. T., of the firm of McClanahan, Cody & Co.; Horace Austin, of Arizona; and Caroline Amelia, now the wife of W. T. McClanahan, of the firm of McC., Cody & Co.

WILLIAM FULLER, farmer and stock raiser, Tecumseh P. O., was born and reared in Peoria County, Ill., and came to Nebraska, 1868, and has been actively connected with his present industry since. In 1871, he was married to Miss Frances E. Emery, who was born and reared in Leeds County, Ontario, Canada. They have one son and daughter, Hattie E. and Carlton C. Mr. Fuller served in Co. 1, Thirty-second Illinois Volunteers at the breaking out of the war, until the battle of Shiloh, 1862, where he was wounded, and afterwards honorably discharged. He has been active in the social life of his locality since coming here.

F. A. GUE, farmer and stock raiser and horticulturist, Section 9, Tecumseh P. O. Mr. Gue was born and reared in Fayette County, Penn., and followed the boot and shoe business alternately in Pennsylvania and Indiana till 1862, when he enlisted in Co. G, Eighty-sixth Indiana Volunteers, and remained in active service till at the battle of Chickamauga he was captured and remained in rebel prison for seventeen months and ten days, when he was released under a flag of truce March 1, 1865. In June of the same year he was honorably discharged. After the war he turned his attention to the recovery of his health, which had been seriously impaired during the service, and came here in 1866, where he has been actively identified with his present industries since. In 1859, he was married to Miss Mary A. Paris, who was born and reared in Clinton, Ind. He has been active in the social and school industries of his locality since coming here.

L. G. HALL, farming and milling, Section 22, Elk Creek P. O., was born and reared in Bureau County, Ill., and came to Nebraska, 1854, and has been actively connected with the farming and milling industries since. In 1857 he was married to Miss Joan R. Horn, who was born in Cass County, Ill. Their family are Franklin L., William H., Emma F., now Mrs. Granville Brittain, of Johnson County. Lulu M., Lewis E., John W., Edgar E. and Benjamin F. Mr. Hall served in the Second Nebraska Volunteers during their entire service. Has been active in the social and political life of his locality.

O. M. HOLMES, farmer and stock raiser, Town 4, Elk Creek, Neb., was born and reared in Grafton County, N. H. In 1867 he was married in Wisconsin to Miss Jennie S. Cram, who was born in Belknap County, N. H. Mr. H. took his place as a homestead in 1866, and now has one of the finest farms in the State.

JOHN HALL & CO., general merchandise, Elk Creek. Business established in 1881. Mr. H. is a native of Illinois and came to Nebraska in 1860, and has been successfully identified with the mercantile industry of this State since 1870.

JACOB KIMES, farmer and stock raiser, Section 22, P. O. Elk Creek, was born and reared in Ohio and spent the earlier portion of his life in connection with the farming industry through the States of Virginia, Ohio and Iowa. In 1871 and at the age of 54 he came to Johnson County and has actively prosecuted his industry here since. He was married in Virginia, in 1841, to Miss Sallie Hicks, who was born and reared in Ohio. They have a family of four sons and two daughters, S. W., William J., J. A., C. E., Molly V., now Mrs. Rundel, of New Virginia, Iowa and Nannie H. Mr. Kimes has been an active worker in the social life of his locality.

W. S. KERR, dealer in grain, stock and coal, Elk Creek. Mr. Kerr was born and reared in Florida, where he was actively identified with the mercantile industry. In 1878 he came to Nebraska and engaged in the hardware and furniture business, but subsequently left it and took up the present industry which he has very successfully conducted since. In 1880 he was married to Miss Carrie Bell, who was reared in this State. Mr. Kerr has been an active worker in the development of the social and business industries of this place since coming here.

H. N. LIBBY, merchant, Elk Creek, Neb., was born in Ontario, Canada, and came to Nebraska from Indiana in 1866 and settled in Johnson County and took up the agricultural industry which he successfully followed, but subsequently went into the mercantile business which he has been actively connected with since. In 1868 he was married to Miss Lizzie Pratt, in Illinois. She was born and reared in Michigan. They have a family of three children, Carrie A., Arnold Pratt, and George. He has been active in the business and social life of Elk Creek.

THOMAS McCLURE, farmer and stock raiser, Section 23, Elk Creek P. O., was born and reared in Darke County, Ohio, and came to Nebraska in 1860 and has been actively identified with the agricultural and stock industries of this locality since. In 1860 he was married in Iowa to Miss Ellen Ball, who was born in Ohio. They have a family of one son and five daughters, Hannah F., Hester E., Ira T., Mina, Idella and Daisy E. Mr. McClure has been actively identified with the growth and development of the social life of his locality.

D. H. McCLURE, of the firm of Young & McClure, grain and stock dealers, Elk Creek, was born in Ohio and reared in Lee County, Ill. In 1857 he came to Nebraska and located in Pawnee County and took up the agricultural industry which he has very successfully conducted since. In 1881 he entered upon the present business. In 1858 he married Miss Ann V. Griffin who was born in Ohio.

W. T. McCLANAHAN, of the firm of McClanahan, Cody & Co. Elk Creek, hardware, etc., was born and reared in Virginia and came to Nebraska in 1871 and settled in Johnson County, and has been actively identified with the industries of this locality since. In 1874, he was married to Miss Carolina Cody, who was born in Wisconsin, daughter of M. K. Cody, whose sketch appears elsewhere. They have one son and daughter, Archie and Fannie. Mr. McClanahan is also actively connected with the agricultural and stock industry.

SAMUEL RUSSELL, farmer and stock raiser, Section 7, Tecumseh P. O. Mr. R. was born in Lycoming County, Pa. In 1825 he removed to Illinois where he remained in connection with his present industry in Knox County until 1866, when he came here and has successfully followed it since. In 1856 he was married to Miss Jane M. Bryson, who was born and reared in Northumberland County, Pa. They have a family of four sons and four daughters, Albert, William, Margaret, John Wood, Anna, Robert, Rebecca and Arletta. Mr. R. has been actively identified with the social development of his locality.

H. B. STRONG, farmer and stock raiser, Elk Creek. Mr. S. was born in Onondaga County, N. Y., and went to Wisconsin in 1847, where he spent nine years in farming. In 1856 he came to Nebraska, and has successfully carried on his business here since. In 1842, he was married to Miss Caroline Stocking, who was born in Onondaga County, N. Y. They have one grandson, Crary Willis Wright, son of their daughter, Ella, who is buried with the rest of their family in Mount Hope Cemetery here. Mr. and Mrs. S are among the active pioneer men and women of Johnson County.

JAMES M. THOMPSON, farmer and stock raiser, Section 17, Elk Creek P. O. Was born in Brown County, Ohio, in 1818, and removed to Illinois in 1850, when he followed the pursuit of farming until 1866, when he came here, and has been actively connected with his present pursuits since. In 1843, he was married in Ohio to Miss Belinda Schoonover, who was born in West Virginia in 1824. They have four sons and three daughters: E. C., F. M., Belinda J. (now Mrs. George W. Knowles, of Washington Territory), Emma E., James M., James M., Douglas E., and R. Bell. Mr. T enlisted in Company G., Fifty-eighth Illinois Volunteers, 1861, and remained in active service until 1863, when he was honorably discharged and pensioned. He has been active in the social life of his locality. Is present Notary Public of this Precinct.

E. C. THOMPSON, farmer and stock raiser, Section 17, Elk Creek P. O. Was born in Brown County, Ohio, and reared in Knox County, Ill., where he was connected with the agricultural industry until 1864, when he enlisted in Company D., Seventh Illinois Cavalry, and remained in active service until the end of the war, when he was honorably discharged. After the war he came here, and has been connected with the teaching profession, and his present industry principally since. In 1873 he was married to Miss Emma E. Nicholson, who was born and reared in Wayne County, Pa. They have a family of one son and daughter, Harriet M., and Chester H. Mr. T. has been active in the social life of his locality since coming here, and is a zealous worker in the Christian Church.

WILLIAM TUCKER, farmer and stock raiser, Section 18, Elk Creek P. O. Was born and reared in Knox County, Ill., and came to Nebraska in 1867. Has been actively connected with the farming industry here since. In 1868 he was married to Miss Ellen Phelan, who was born and reared in Menard County, Ill. They have a family of two sons and four daughters: Edward N., Ada R. (dead), Lottie L., Randolf S., Stella A. and Ora E. Mr. T. served in the Eighth Missouri Volunteers, Company B., Fifteenth Army Corps, Second Division, from 1861 until September, 1864; was honorably discharged. He has been active in the social life in his locality since coming here.

A. J. WAY, farmer and stock raiser, Section 21, P. O. Tecumseh. Was born and reared in Knox County, Ill., and came to Nebraska in 1870, and has been actively connected with the present industries here since. In 1867 he was married in Knox County, Ill., to Miss Nancy J. Reece, who was born in Clinton County, Ohio. They have two daughters, Stella and Eva. Mr. Way did service in the Eighty-sixth Illinois, from 1862 to '63, after which he re-enlisted in the One Hundred and Thirty-eighth Volunteer Infantry, and remained in active service till '64; was honorably discharged.

G. W. WOOLSEY, merchant, Elk Creek; was born and reared in Knox County, Ill., and came to Nebraska in 1870, and settled in Johnson County in 1871. He took up the mercantile business here, first in his line of industry, and has very successfully followed it since. Was married in 1869 to Miss S. A. Fink, who was born in Adams County, Pa. They have two sons and one daughter: Bertie W., Harry Y., and Ora G. Mr W. served in Company D., Seventh Illinois Cavalry, from 1863 until the end of the war, when he was honorably discharged. He has been active in the development of the social, business and political life of his locality.

S. G. WRIGHT, of the firm of S. G. Wright & Co., bottom price grocery, tobacco, cigars, fruits, and oysters in season. Formerly proprietor of the New York Restaurant, Elk Creek. Was born in Davis County, Iowa, and removed with his people, who settled in Nebraska, in 1865, at the age of seven years. At the age of sixteen years he engaged in the mercantile business, and has continuously followed it since. In 1879 he was married to Miss Susie Wolsey, who was born and reared in Knox County, Ill. They have one little girl, Paulina J.

J. L. YOUNG, of the firm of Young & McClure, grain and stock dealers, Elk Creek, was born and reared in Pennsylvania. After serving from 1861 to 1864 in the Third Missouri Cavalry, he came to Nebraska in 1866, and has been actively engaged in the development of the State since. Mr. Y. took up the agricultural industry in Nemaha County and followed it actively until 1870, when he came here and engaged at the present business. In 1870, he married Miss C. S. Matson, who was born in Jo Daviess County, Ill. They have a family of three sons and one daughter--Victor T., Clarence C., Ernest A. and Edith M.




Top of Page   First Page   Back   Next

County Index