KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS


Andreas' History of the State of Nebraska

Johnson County
Produced by Karen Elliott.



PART 1:

Location, Natural Features, etc. | Early History
Organization and Political History

PART 2:

Educational | Railroads | Population | Financial
General Statistics | County Societies

PART 3:


Tecumseh:   Early Settlement | Local Matters
The Press | Churches | Societies | Hotels
Swartville

PART 4:

Tecumseh (cont.):
Biographical Sketches - AUSTIN~HOWARTH

PART 5:

Tecumseh (cont.):
Biographical Sketches - JOLLY~YOUNG

PART 6:

Sterling:   Biographical Sketches
Elk Creek:   Biographical Sketches

PART 7:





Helena:   Biographical Sketches
Vesta:   Biographical Sketches
Spring Creek:   Biographical Sketches
Lincoln Precinct (Biographical Sketches only)

List of Illustrations in Johnson County Chapter



PART 5


BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.
JOLLY thru YOUNG

WILLIAM C. JOLLY, merchant, Tecumseh, was born and reared in Georgia. In 1859, he came west and engaged in mining, at Pike's Peak, Colo., which he followed till 1864, when he came to Johnson County, and has been actively identified with its industries since. In 1864, he was married to Mary J. Hayes, who was born and reared in Kentucky. They have a family of two daughters, Nancy Hayes, now Mrs. Glasson, and Etta Borland (adopted). Mr. Jolly has been active in the social life of this locality.

JOHN KAVANAGH, farmer and stock raiser, Tecumseh P. O., was born in County Carlow, Ireland, in 1842, and came to America in 1850. In 1868 he came to Nebraska, and settled here in 1873, and has successfully followed his present vocation since. In 1863 he was married to Miss Mary Glynn, who was born in County Clare, Ireland. They have two sons and four daughters--James, Katie, Mary, Arthur, Eliza and Hannah. Mr. K. is one of the very active farmers of his locality.

L. H. LAFLIN, farmer and stock raiser, Vesta P. O., was born and raised in Rock Island County, Ill., and came to Nebraska in 1857, and settled in Johnson County, and has been active in his present industry since. Married in 1866 to Miss A. K. Scott, who was born in Kentucky. They have four sons and three daughters--Eugene B., Fannie S., Josephine, Edith, Guy F., Wade and Hugh. Mr. Laflin has been very active in the social and political life of his locality, served his State in the General Assemblies of 1872-73. Has been a member of the School Board of his district since its organization. Is present Treasurer of the District and member of the Agricultural Board of his county.

G. M. LALICKER, farmer, Vesta P. O., Johnson County, is a native of Illinois and came to Nebraska in 1874, and settled in Johnson County, and has been connected with the agricultural industries of the county since. In 1865 he married Miss Cerilla Weese, who was born and reared in Illinois. They have a family of five children, Franklin, William, Cora, Marion and John.

JOSEPH LAMASTERS, stock raiser, Section 9, Tecumseh P. O. Mr. Lamasters was born and reared in Fulton County, Ohio, and took up the profession of printer, which he followed till 1856, when he removed to Iowa and engaged at the agricultural industry there till 1858, when he came here and has been actively connected with his present industry since. He has been an active worker in the development of the social life of this locality; has served in public office, as Collector of Internal Revenue during the Territorial and State governments.

I. W. MARINE, farmer and stock raiser, Tecumseh, was born in Indiana, in 1846, but removed to Iowa in 1856, at the age of ten years, and remained engaged with the industries of the State until 1875, when he came here and has been active in the present pursuits since. In 1868, he was married to Miss Sarah Parrott, who was born and reared in Illinois. They have one son and daughter--Henry R. and Mary W.

CHESTER F. McNEIL, farmer and stock raiser, Tecumseh P. O., was born and reared in Pennsylvania, and came to Nebraska in 1874. In 1875 he was married to Miss Nancy Sandusky, daughter of Jacob Sandusky, a native of Kentucky, who came to Nebraska in 1867 and followed the farming industry here since. Mrs. Sandusky was Miss Melinda Hayes, who was also born in Kentucky.

CHARLES McCROSKEY, merchant, Tecumseh, was born in Kentucky and reared in Illinois. In 1861 he engaged at the mercantile business in Illinois and carried it on there till 1871, when he came to Tecumseh in company with the late E. R. Wright, and established the present business, which he has successfully carried on since. In 1865 he married in Illinois to Miss Mary Warren, who was born and reared in Rushville, Ill. They have one son and three daughters--Mary, James, Ella and Anna.

REV. FATHER JAMES McNALLY, of the Roman Catholic Church, Tecumseh, was born and reared in New York State, and entered a preparatory course of education at the age of sixteen at the Seminary of our Lady of Angels at Niagara Falls, where he continued till his nineteenth year, when he went to Innsbruck, Austria, where he remained in study for three years, from whence he went to Italy and after completing a year of study there he returned to America and soon after took charge of the present mission, 1878, with which he has been connected since. The church was begun here in 1866 by fifteen families of seventy-five souls. The first resident priest being Rev. Father Emmanuel, of Nebraska City. The second was Rev. Father McCarthy from 1877-'78. The congregation have hitherto worshiped in the St. Andrew's Church here, but Father McNally has been very active in collection for a new one and they propose to build one with a seating capacity of 400. The St. Andrew's Mission contains all the stations in Johnson County, and one station in Gage County, in all 1,000 souls. The church has a nice library of about three hundred volumes, and is altogether very progressive.

H. MUHLENBROCK, dealer in lumber and all kinds of building material. Tecumseh, was born and reared in St. Louis, Mo., and came to Nebraska in 1858, and has been identified with the industries of the State since. In 1869 he entered the Nebraska City post office, and was connected with it until 1877, when he came to Tecumseh and has successfully conducted the present business since. In 1881 he was married to Miss Mattie J. Locke, who was born in Laporte, Ind. They have one son, Henry.

JOHN PETTINGER, farmer and stock raiser, Tecumseh P. O., was born in Germany, 1828, and came to America in 1853, and to Nebraska in 1857, and has successfully followed his present business since. In 1861 he was married to Miss Helena Hammond, who was born in Michigan. They have five sons and three daughters; John, Mary, Michael, Nicholas, Margaret, Cornelius, Anna and Charles. Mr. Pettinger is one of the very active pioneer men of this locality.

JASON L. PHILLIPS, proprietor Delmonico Restaurant, Tecumseh. Mr. Phillips was born and reared in Oswego County, N. Y., and followed the pursuit of farming principally in Illinois, Iowa and Nebraska until 1881, when he engaged at present business which he has successfully followed since. Came to Nebraska in 1867. In 1852 he was married to Miss Julia M. McComber, who was born in Oswego County, N. Y. They have two sons and five daughters: Florence, now Mrs. Riley Hayes, of Oswego, Oregon Territory; Hattie, now Mrs. Oscar Whitten, of Oregon; Daniel, Julia M., Emma, Addie and Sheldon.

E. A. PINERO, of the law firm of Pinero & Chapman, Tecumseh. Mr. Pinero was born in New Orleans and reared in St. Louis, Mo., where he was educated to the profession of book-keeper, but after a few years he abandoned it for his present profession, to which he was admitted in 1860. After following the practice of his profession until 1865 in St. Louis, he went to Jerseyville, Ill. After a practice of four years, he abandoned it on account of ill health and took up the banking business, and carried it on until 1873, when he again took up the practice which he has successfully carried on since. In the meantime making his location subservient to his ill health. In 1865 he was married to Miss Irene A. Allen, daughter of the Hon. Wm. H. Allen, of Jersey County, Ill. They have a family of two sons and one daughter, Prosper A., Edmond A., jr. and Marie Elise. The firm carry on an active business in real estate and insurance and money loaning business. Mr. P. is a Notary Public for this county.

C. W. POOL. editor, Johnson County Journal, Tecumseh. Mr. Pool was born and reared in Henry County, Ill., engaged at work at his present profession in 1873, at the age of sixteen, on the Putnam County Record, at Hennepin, Ill. In 1876 he went to Peotone, Ill., and edited the Peotone Eagle for six months, after which he came to Nebraska, and January, 1879, he brought one-half interest in the Sterling News, and in March of the same year, he established the present successful paper, as an eight column folio, but the increasing demand for the paper caused it to be enlarged to a six column quarto, in July of the same year.

H. RECKEWEY & BROS., proprietors of the Tecumseh Foundry and Machine Shop, natives of Cook County, Ill., came to Nebraska in 1878 and established the present business in 1879. The brothers carry on machinery for planting in all its varieties and sizes. They also manufacture the Tecumseh double action force pumps. Their motto is first-class work.

D. L. ROBB, farmer and stock raiser, Section 1, P. O., Tecumseh, was born and reared in DeKalb County, Ill., came to Nebraska in 1868, and has been active in connection with his present pursuit since. In 1875 he was married in Ohio to Miss Ella McDermott, who was born and reared there. They have one daughter, Lottie.

S. S. ROGERS, farmer and stock raiser, and dealer in fat cattle, was born in Wayne County, Penn., in 1824. In 1847 he went to Dane County, Wis., and followed the agricultural industry there until 1865, when he came to Nebraska, settled in Johnson County, where he has been active in the present industry since, also taking an active part in politics. Was elected Sheriff of Johnson County in the fall of 1865, and re-elected in the fall of 1867. In 1849 he was married to Miss Lucretia Cody, who was born in Allegany County, N. Y. They have a family of four daughters and two sons. Augusta A., Eveline A., Edward L., Angeline M., Callie E. and Marion B.

A. G. ROBINSON, furniture and undertaking, Tecumseh. Born in Ohio and reared in Pennsylvania; served in the war from 1861 to '62 when he was mustered out on account of incapacity for duty and honorably discharged. In 1870 he came to Nebraska and settled in Tecumseh. In 1874 he was married to his second wife, who was Mrs. Sarah McDonald, born in Crawford County, Pa. They have one child, Pearl. His first wife was Miss Henrietta Hoag, born in Crawford County, Pa., in 1845, and was buried there in the Cambridge Cemetery in 1868, leaving one daughter, Clara

EDGAR REYNOLDS, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Tecumseh, Johnson County. Was born and reared in Ohio and came to Nebraska in 1868, and has been actively connected with his present industry since. In 1867 he was married to Miss Electa Foote, who was born and reared in Illinois. They have two sons and one daughter, Reuben Foote, Howard E. and Dora Ann.

JAMES D. RUSSELL, of the firm of Russell & Holmes, bankers, was born in Independence County, Ark., in 1838; was reared in Jersey County, Ill. Received his education in college in Alton, Ill. and Tennessee from 1848 until 1860 when he turned his attention to the agricultural industry of Illinois until 1871, when he came to Tecumseh and identified himself with the present business which he has successfully carried on since. In 1862 he was married to Miss Lucinda Hard, who was born and reared in Jersey County, Ill. They have a family of three daughters, Margaret, Edith and Addie.

ISAAC SAPP, farmer and stock raiser, Tecumseh P. O., was born in Alleghany County, Md., 1809. In 1825 he went to Ohio and lived there till 1842, when he went to Indiana, and lived there till 1855, when he came here, and has been active as a pioneer farmer since. He was married in Portage County, Ohio, to Miss Susanna Miller, who was born in Cumberland County, Pa. He has a family of two sons, Henry and George, both grown to man's estate. In 1878 Mrs. Sapp passed away from this life, and is buried in the Spring Creek Cemetery.

C. B. SCOTT, merchant, Tecumseh, was born and reared in Wayne County, Ind., and took up the mercantile industry in 1855 at the age of fourteen years. In 1862 he came to Nebraska and has been successfully connected with the mercantile industry in this part of the State since. In 1871 he was married to Miss Sadie J. Duphorne, who was born and reared in Maryland. They have a family of two daughters and two sons. Mary E., Frank S., Margaretta O. and Hugh D. Mr. Scott has been active in the social and political life of this locality, having served as teacher to the Indians at the Mohart agency, Deputy U. S. Assessor for Southeastern Nebraska, and County Clerk of Richardson County.

H. K. SEARS, dealer in grain, live stock and coal, Tecumseh. Col. Sears was born and reared in Hartford, Conn., where he was largely identified with the hotel and manufacturing industries until the breaking out of the war when he was detailed for duty at the State Arsenal. At the close of the war he became actively engaged in the wholesale and retail mercantile business for three years in Savannah, Ga., when he returned to Hartford and engaged in the manufacturing business until 1879, when he came here and engaged in his present business, which he has successfully carried on since.

W. R. SPICKNALL, brick manufacturer, Tecumseh. Is a native of Indiana, and came here in 1873 and established the present business, which he carries on extensively. In 1874 he was married to Miss Ada Lawrence. They have one daughter, Olive. Mr. Spicknall carries on a manufacture of brick, also at Pawnee City and Wymore, Neb. He has been active in the social and political life of this locality; served his State in the Legislative Assembly of '77.

A. H. SWART, editor Chieftain, Tecumseh, was born in Pennsylvania and reared to the profession of bookkeeper in New York, which he followed there about twelve years. In 1878 he came to Nebraska, and bought out the present paper in 1880, which he has ably conducted in the interest of the county since.

J. J. TAYLOR, merchant, Tecumseh, was born in Montgomery County, N. Y., in 1827; went to Illinois in 1848, where he followed his present business. In 1850 he was married to Miss Mary A. Berry, who was born and reared in Illinois. They have a family of two sons and three daughters, Homer J., John W., M. Lillah, Hattie L. and Grace O. Mrs. T. passed away from this life, February 20, 1881; was buried in Tecumseh Cemetery. Mr. T. is an active worker in the society of Odd Fellows; is District Deputy Grand Master of the State society, and District Deputy Grand Patriarch of the Grand Encampment. He has been a member of the society for the past thirty years.

THE TECUMSEH OPERA HOUSE is among the many attractive features of Tecumseh. It is elaborately furnished , and capable of seating 500 people. The hall is 80x40, with stage appendage 20x40. Everything about it is entirely new, and the enterprising proprietors, Messrs. Spicknall & Goodman, are alive to the improvements of the times. Mr. Henry Goodman is a native of New York City, and entered the mercantile business in 1867, at the age of fourteen. After following the business till 1877 he came here and located, and has very successfully conducted it since. Mr. Spicknall's sketch appears in another place.

DR. H. C. THURMAN, druggist, Tecumseh, was born in Kentucky in 1829, and removed to St. Joe., Mo., where he was reared and educated. In 1850 he began the practice of this profession, and has been actively identified with it since. In 1863 he was appointed Assistant Surgeon of the Fifteenth Iowa Volunteer Infantry and remained in the service till 1864, when he returned to Brownville, Neb., and followed his practice till 1880, when he came to Tecumseh and retired from active work of his profession to the present business, which he has successfully carried on since.

K. TIERNEY & SON, proprietors Sherman House, Tecumseh. Mr. Tierney was born and reared in County Kilkenny, Ireland, and came to America in 1843 at the age of seventeen years. After following his trade of boot and shoe making for a few years he engaged in the mercantile business in Madison, Wis., which he followed until 1863, when he engaged in the hotel business which he has successfully followed since.

T. J. WATKINS, merchant, Tecumseh. Was born and reared in Putnam County, Ind. In 1872 he enlisted in mercantile business in Rutler, Ill., and carried it on until 1880 when he came to Tecumseh and has conducted it here since. In 1869 he was married to Miss Almeda Seward in Illinois. They have a family of two sons and four daughters. Mr. W did active service in the late war from 1861 to the end of the war, when he was honorably discharged as a veteran.

JOACHIM WILL, farmer and stock raiser, Section 34, Tecumseh P. O. Was born in Germany, in 1822, and came to America in 1856 and settled in Dakota. In 1862 he enlisted in Company A, Dakota Volunteers, and remained in active service till the end of the war when he was honorably discharged. After the war he came here and has been active in connection with his present industries since. In 1846 he was married in Germany to Magdalena Chaimann. They have one son and one daughter, William and Hanna.

A. P. WILSON, carpenter and builder, was born in Indiana, where he lived until seven years of age, then removed to Illinois, living there until he came to Nebraska in 1880, and settled in Tecumseh. Has followed the present business successfully for the last fifteen years. Was married in 1881, to Miss Mattie E. Reinhart, who was born in Ohio. They have one daughter, Ella Jane.

C. M. WILSON, representative of the Chicago Lumber Company's interest, Tecumseh, was born in Delaware County, N. Y. After spending a few years in Illinois, he came West and located here in 1880, and soon after accepted the present position which he very ably represents.

R. G. WORK, merchant, Tecumseh. Was born and reared in McConnellsburg, Fulton Co., Pa., and came to Nebraska in 1870 and settled in Tecumseh where he has been actively identified with the many industries of the locality since. In 1869 he was married to Miss Jessie McLanahan who was born and reared in Franklin County, Pa., near Greencastle. Mr. W. began the mercantile business at an early age, fifteen, and his extensive experience in that industry has availed him well in his adopted State.

MRS. S. M. WRIGHT, Tecumseh, widow of the late E. R. Wright, merchant. Mr. W was born in Onondaga County, N. Y., October 6, 1834, and settled in Schuyler County, Ill., in 1843. He engaged in the mercantile business in McDonough County in 1861 and successfully carried it on until 1871 when he removed to Tecumseh and conducted it until his death, which occurred September 14, 1880. Mrs. Wright, formerly Miss S. M. Warren, was born and reared in Rushville, Ill., and was married in 1861. She has a family of four sons and three daughters, Lewis H., C. Warren, Edgar D., Flora, Clarence R., Helen and Laura.

A. J. WRIGHT, Deputy U. S. Marshal for Nebraska, P. O. Tecumseh. Residence Section 2, Nemaha Precinct. Marshal Wright is a native of Rock Island County, Ill., and came to Nebraska in 1856 and located in this part of the State where he identified himself with the agricultural and mercantile industries which he successfully prosecuted. In 1874 he was appointed to the present incumbency and his official ability has been attested by being appointed for each consecutive term since. In 1866 he was married to Miss Mary A. Polk, who was born in Rochester, Indiana. They have a family of three daughters and one son, Kitty F., Carrie E., Edith M., and Freddie D. Mr. Wright has always been an active worker in the social and political life of his locality.

SIMON YOUNG, farmer and stock raiser, Section 9, P. O. Tecumseh, was born in Pennsylvania and reared in Stephenson County, Ill., where be was identified with the farming industry until 1862, when he enlisted in Company D. Ninety-third Illinois Volunteers and remained in active service until the end of the war, when he was honorably discharged and pensioned. In 1867 he came here and located the present property and removed here in 1869 and has been actively connected with his present industry since. In 1869 he was married to Miss Mary A. Montz, who was born in Marietta, Ohio. She lived in Ohio until she was nine years old, when she went with her parents to Hannibal, Mo. Lived there until 1865, when she came to Nebraska. They have one son, James M.




Top of Page   First Page   Back   Next

County Index