Hall County | Early History|
Wild Game in the County | Indian Depredations | The Great Storm|
Grasshoppers | Old Settlers | Saw and Grist Mills
Agriculture | Public Improvements
Grand Island: Early History of Grand Island | U. P. Railroad Shops|
Grand Island Buildings | Newspapers | Churches | Schools | Societies
4 ~ 5:
ABBOTT ~ MAKELEY | MARTIN ~ WOOLLEY
Doniphan: Doniphan Biographies|
Wood River: Wood River Biographies
List of Illustrations in Hall County Chapter
JAMES MARTIN, proprietor meat market, and dealer in all kinds of fresh and salt meats. Opened trade in 1880. He located in Crete, Neb., 1877, and engaged in same kind of business for some time. Born in England, April 11, 1849. Came to America in 1868, and located in Warren, Jo Daviess Co., Ill., where he engaged in the above business; married in the latter place in 1871 to Miss Matilda M. Servis, of Warren. They have three children--James W., Charles W., and Clara Edith.
JAMES MICHELSON, dealer in real estate in Grand Island, Neb. He first settled in Omaha in 1859, where he followed blacksmithing a year. He then moved to Grand Island, where he followed blacksmithing, wagon making, and keeping ranch for travelers on the Old California Emigrant Road near Platte River for six years. In 1866 he moved into the village and built the Nebraska House. It was the first hotel in the place. He kept it until 1872, when he erected a store, and engaged in general merchandising four years. Afterwards he went into the real estate business, and building for rent, etc. He was born in Denmark on September 18, 1819. He came to America in 1858. He was married in Denmark in 1837 to Miss Anna Lorison. They have five children--Laurena, Maria, Lena, Anker and Freddie. He is a member of the Masonic Order, and Leiderkranz Society of Grand Island, Neb.
DR. HOWARD C. MILLER, dentist. He works in all branches of dentistry. He was located in Omaha, Neb., April 8, 1880, and worked in dentistry for Dr. G. W. Wertz a year. He then traveled and practiced his profession in Eastern Nebraska, until October, 1882, when he located in Grand Island and continues his profession. He was born in Lewis County, N. Y., January 15, 1859. He moved with his parents to Frankford, Upper Canada, and lived there nine years. He then went to Oneida County, N. Y., and attended school in Rome two years. He lived in that county and studied dentistry before he came to Nebraska. He was married in Hooper, Elk Horn Valley, November, 1881, to Miss Ida Wickwire, of Winslow, Ill.
JOHN D. MOORE, Agent for the Union Pacific Railroad, Grand Island, Neb. He is a native of Greenville, Floyd Co., Ind. He was born in 1846. Served in the United States navy during the late war. Came to Omaha in 1866, when he went into the employment of the above company in 1868. He has represented their interests in various capacities since. The author of this sketch having been acquainted with Mr. M. since 1864, can recommend him as a substantial citizen of Nebraska, whose interests are coupled with those of his fellow citizens.
M. MURPHY, photographer and city mayor. He was located in Dixon County, Neb., in the spring of 1870, farmed one and one-half years. Then began the picture business in Ponca, Neb., 1872. Lived there and vicinity a year. Then went to Plattsmouth, Neb., and followed photographing until March, 1877, when he came to Grand Island, where he has since followed the business. He was elected Mayor in the spring of 1882. He was born in Ireland, March 15, 1835. He came to America in 1847 with an uncle. Lived in Galena, Ill., seven years. Moved to Maquoketa, Jackson Co., Iowa, where he lived until he came to Nebraska. He married in Maquoketa in 1868, Miss Eliza Humphrey, of Erie County, N. Y. They have two children--Eva and Earl D.; he is a member of the Masonic Order, being Master of Lodge Perfection of Scottish Rite; also K. of H.; he is a member of Grand Island Building and Loan Association; he learned the printing business in Galena, Ill., when quite a young man, and the photographic art in La Porte, Ind., in 1865.
JAMES B. MURRAY & CO., wholesale and retail dealers in groceries, provisions, queensware, wooden and willow ware, opened business March 20, 1882. Employ four men, and carry a stock of $15,000. They have a similar store in Edgar, Neb., where they employ two men, and carry a stock of $7,000; he opened the latter store alone in July, 1879, Mr. Chitwood taking one-quarter interest in both stores March 20, 1882. Mr. Murray was born in Oshkosh, August 4, 1856. Lived in his native state twenty years, one year in Tennessee, and a short time in Kansas in the grocery business; he was in the hardware business six months in Belvidere, Neb.
JAMES C. PEDERSON, wholesale and retail dealer in groceries, provisions, queensware, glassware, crockery, etc., opened business August 1, 1879. Employs four men in the business, and carries an average stock of $7,000; he was born in Denmark, Europe, July 7, 1856. The family came to America in 1868, located in Oconomowoc, Wis., where they lived two years, then moved to Chicago, Ill., where he began clerking in a retail grocery house, continuing two years; then came to Nebraska; married in Grand Island, June, 1880, to Miss Jennie Morgan, of the latter city. They have one daughter, Bessie Anna.
REV. RICHARD PHELAN, a Catholic priest; he came to Grand Island July 6, 1880, and took charge of St. Mary's Church and the missions thereto annexed. There are fifty-two families who are members of the above church; he also has charge of St. Mary's Church, on the Union Pacific Railroad, near Wood River Station, with seventy-two families, exclusively Irish, who are members. Rev. Phelan was born in Flemmingstown, Kilmacow County, Kilkenny, Ireland, Nov. 10, 1836; he began classical studies in a private school at the age of thirteen years; he remained at Kilmacow a year; he then went to Waterford in a private school two years, after which he went to Knocktopher Carmelite Seminary two years; he then entered the Catholic Diocesan College at Kilkenny, and from that he was promoted to St. Patrick's College, Maynooth, where he studied for eight years, during which time being distinguished in his various classes, he was entitled to a place on the Dumboyne establishment, but, owing to a scarcity of priests, much against his will, he was called home to fill a vacancy; he spent fourteen years in various parts of his native diocese. During that time he received three addresses and testimonials expressive of the good feelings of his people. Of his own free act, he obtained letters of excorporation from his native diocese, and on November 6, 1879, he discharged duties for the last time in Ireland, and sailed November 7 to New York City, and November 18, said his first mass in Brooklyn, N. Y.; he was chaplain to a convent there for a short time; he went to London, Canada, in February, 1880, and was offered a mission, but soon went to Little Rock, Ark., and did missionary work in St. Andrew's Cathedral; he soon came to Grand Island, Neb.; he was ordained in Kilkenny, Ireland, on Quinquagesima Sunday, 1865, by Right Rev. Doctor Walsh, then Bishop of Ossory.
[Portrait of W. H. Platt.]
W. H. PLATT, of the firm of Thummel & Platt, attorneys at law and agents for the sale of Union Pacific Railroad lands and lots. They are the oldest established law firm in the city. Mr. Platt located in Grand Island, Neb., in the spring of 1866. Opened the drug trade and began the practice of law, continuing the former until 1870; he now has an extensive law practice; he was elected County Judge of Hall County in 1872, held the office until 1876. Was Mayor of Grand Island in 1877; he has been a member of the Board of Education since its organization, except 1881; he assisted to erect the first business house in the place in July, 1866. Born in Rochester, N. Y., October 16, 1835. Entered the Free Academy, New York City, in 1850, graduated 1853; he then went with his parents to Brighton, Livingston Co., Mich. Lived there a short time, and returned to New York City, where he engaged in the shipping business until April 19, 1861; he then became a member of the Thirteenth Regiment Brooklyn, N. Y., Light Infantry. Engaged in the war three months, mustered out in New York City July, 1861; he then returned and engaged in surveying in the North-west until the spring of 1863, at which time he came to Nebraska with the corps of engineers and assisted in the survey of the Union Pacific Railroad. After completing the same he settled in Grand Island, where he has since been engaged in the study and practice of law. Was admitted to the bar in 1870. One notable case in which he took a prominent part was the Union Pacific Railroad Company vs. W. H. Platt; the above company in grant of lands were required to dispose of all their land prior to 1875, Secretary Schurz holding that the Company had forfeited their rights to all unsold land after the latter date, therefore under the decision by Schurz, Mr. Platt preempted 160 acres where the city of Grand Island is now partly located, and improved upon the same. According to Schurz's decision, the Union Pacific Company began an action for trespass. Mr. Platt enjoined the trespass proceedings. The suit was tried in the United States Court at Omaha, Neb., by Judge Dundy, and decided in favor of the above Company. Mr. Platt carried it to the Supreme Court of the United States, where the above decision was sustained, which forever decided the question which might arise under the Union Pacific Railroad land grants.
JOHN GEORGE RAINE, dealer in diamonds, watches, clocks, jewelry, silver and plated ware, opened business in 1877, with a stock of $1,500, now carries a stock of $8,000, and employs two men; he was born in England in 1857, came to America in 1862 with his parents, and settled in Galena, Ill., where he lived until 1877, and learned the jewelry and watch trade, then came to the west.
MATTHEW REIFERS, proprietor State Central Brick-yard, opened the yard in May, 1878. Employs twenty men during business season, with a capacity of 1,200 hand-rolled brick per day; the yard occupies two acres of ground; he first came to Omaha in 1868, worked as foreman in different brick-yards until 1873. Then went to Blair as foreman brick-yard six years, then to Grand Island; he was born in Prussia, Europe, August 21, 1849, came to America in 1855; he does nearly all the brick-work in Grand Island.
JAMES R. RENIFF, foreman car department, has 100 men under his supervision. Came to Grand Island, December, 1881, took charge of above department soon after. Born in Greenfield, Mass., February 9, 1842. Lived in his native State until 1847, when his parents moved to Springfield, Mass., and lived there three years, then two years in New Haven, Conn., then to Seymour, Conn., two years, when they moved to Springfield, Ill., and lived there three years, then to Chicago, in the employ of the Illinois Central Railroad as an apprentice in car shops, then to Bloomington, Ill., in the car department of the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad. Was there draughtsman and general foreman about eighteen years, having charge of 125 men, then moved to Jacksonville, Ill., and was superintendent of the Jacksonville Car Company a year, then to St. Paul, Minn., as master car-builder of the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha Railroad a year, then to Grand Island, Neb., as foreman car department of the Union Pacific Railroad Company's car shops. They have a capacity of turning out eight box-cars per day. Was married in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1865, to Miss Sarah E. Taylor, of the latter place. They have two daughters--Grace and Jessie; he enlisted in August 1862, in Company H, Seventy-second Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry. Participated in the battles of Champion Hills, Miss., two charges on Vicksburg, Atlanta, Ga., and near Goldsboro, N. C.; mustered out in May 1865, Washington, D. C.; he is a member of Lyon Post No. 11, G. A. R., of Grand Island, Neb.
CHARLES RIEF, firm of Harrison & Rief, attorneys at law, loan, collection and insurance agents, abstracts furnished, etc.; he settled in Grand Island in the spring of 1868, taught school for six years, during which time he was a Justice of the Peace for five years, and Civil Engineer for Grand Island City, and County Surveyor four years, he was elected County Clerk in the fall of 1879; he held the office for two years; he was born in Holstein, Germany, November 13, 1842. In his seventeenth year he visited the countries of South America as a sailor. During the voyage he received a knowledge of the English language, mathematics and navigation; he returned to his native country at the age of nineteen; was then sent to a navigation school at Flensburg, Germany. After some time he passed in all the branches of navigation, and some of the higher mathematics. Was sent to sea as a mate of a vessel, and led a sea-faring life on the Mediterranean Sea, Indian and Pacific Ocean until he was 26 years of age; he resigned while in New York City, and went as passenger to South America again to seek his fortune, where he herded cattle sometime. Then went on a Chillian ship as common sailor; was promoted to mate on the vessel, and followed the sea-faring life again for a short time, then went to Hamburg, and from there to New York City, then to Nebraska; he married in Grand Island December 5, 1871, Miss Anna Catharina Sieck, of Eckel, near Rendsburg, Germany. They have three children--Helena, Carl Friederich, and Ralph Sylvester; he is a member of the Masonic Order and I. O. O. F., and the Encampment, and K. of H., of Grand Island.
DR. H. J. RING, physician and surgeon of Eclectic School, located in Hastings, Neb., in January, 1879. Practiced his profession until December, 1881, when he removed to Grand Island and continued practice; he was born in Norway, February 17, 1851, came to America alone in 1866; settled in Fillmore County, Minn., in January, 1868, he obtained a position in a drug store, and studied pharmacy four and one-half years, then began the study of medicine under a physician; he took charge of a drug-store in Whalen, and continued the study of medicine. Entered the Bennett Medical College of Chicago, Ill., in the winter of 1875-76. Graduated from that college in 1877, returned to Whalen and began the practice of medicine, and continued until he came to Nebraska. Was married in Minnesota in 1876 to Miss Ida O. Lowe, of Whalen, Minn. They have one son, Glenellyn J.
GEORGE F. RYAN, of the firm of Thomas & Co., dealers in all kinds of produce, groceries and queensware, located in Merrick County on a homestead in 1872, where he farmed for five years, and in June, 1877, moved to Grand Island, where he became book-keeper for E. R. Wiseman in the lumber business four years, then in the same capacity for H. H. Glover in the dry goods business, after which he became a partner in the above firm; he was born in St. Lawrence County, N. Y., March 15, 1841. Enlisted in October 5, 1861, in Company C, Sixtieth Regiment New York Volunteer Infantry. Promoted to First Lieutenant, and participated in the battles of Antietam, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, and the first part of Sherman's campaign. Was wounded near Dallas, Ga., but continued in service. Was mustered out in Washington, D. C., July 17, 1865; he is a member of Lyon Post No. 11, G. A. R.
A. A. SAWYER, dealer in staple and fancy groceries at retail, opened the business December 1, 1878. Carries a stock of $5,000 and employs three men; he located in Grand Island, Neb., at the time of beginning business. Born in Canton, St. Lawrence Co., N. Y., August 11, 1850. Lived there until sixteen years old, when he went to Chicago, Ill., and clerked in a wholesale notion store for two years, then entered the Northwestern University at Evanston, Ill., attending seven years, leaving in his junior year; he returned to Chicago and entered into the real estate and insurance business for one and a half years, and then went to Geneva Lake, Wis., and married Miss Fannie Curtis in October, 1875. Clerked in a grocery store one and a half years previous to coming west. They have three children--Mary Louisa, Anna Grace and Alvah Lewis.
FRANK SEARS, County Clerk Hall County. Located in Omaha May, 1870, and went into the employ of the Union Pacific Railroad Company as clerk in their Land Office until September, 1872. Sold land in Grand Island a short time for the above company; then to Kearney, in same business, and the following year went to Overton, Dawson County, where he sold lumber on his own account until October, 1874. Then became Agent at Hastings for the above company's lands eighteen months. Farmed about one year in Alda, after which he located in Grand Island as Deputy County Clerk a few months. Clerked a short time, went to Syracuse, N. Y., 1877, remained a year, and returned to Grand Island as agent for parties in the grain business. Clerked in the United States Land Office until the fall of 188?, when he was elected County Clerk. Born near Syracuse, N. Y., August 20, 1848. Married in Gloversville, N. Y., December, 1881, to Miss Clara A. Peterson, of the latter place.
HON. FRED A. SEARS, proprietor of a large elevator and dealer in grain of all kinds, Grand Island, Neb. Mr. Sears was born in Baldwinsville, Onondaga Co., N. Y. July 23, 1854. He lost both parents before twelve years of age. Lived with an uncle a few years, then had to depend on his own resources. In 1871, he came to Omaha, and worked in a grocery store. Then went to Laramie City, W. T., clerked in the post office two years, returned to New York for a few months, came back to his present home, farmed for a time, then opened a drug store, built a good trade, and was financially very successful, and at the end of two years sold out, erected an elevator and embarked in the grain trade. Mr. Sears is a good business man, and the youngest member of the House. In the campaign he had to contend with old political veterans, but the race is not always to the swift, as he is a member of the House of Representatives of Nebraska to testify. Married in Grand Island, Neb., June 5, 1877, to Miss Carrie C. Jordan. Her parents reside in Omaha, and her father, Robert C. Jordan, is known as a prominent Mason of Nebraska. They have two children--Fred J. and Louise. He is a member of Ashley Lodge, No. 33, A., F. & A. M., and Secretary of the Hall County Agricultural Society.
DR. A. L. STEVENSON, practicing physician and surgeon, located in Grand Island in the spring of 1877. He was born in Lanark County, Canada East, June 4, 1851. Lived in his native county until he was 19 years old, when he removed to Marion County, Iowa, where he began the study of medicine in the office of Dr. S. J. Scoles, of Knoxville, later on. He graduated from Keokuk College of Physicians and Surgeons in 1875. He practiced in Iowa until spring, 1877, when he moved to Grand Island. He was married in Monroe, Iowa, in 1878, to Miss Florence A. Israel, of the latter place. They have one son, Lloyd A. In 1882 he graduated from the Jefferson Medical College, Pennsylvania. The Doctor is a member of the Grand Island Masonic order. He has a large practice, and is regarded as one of the best physicians in Central Nebraska.
WILLIAM STOLLEY, farmer, stock raiser and nurseryman. He keeps fruit and ornamental trees, etc.; he came to Hall County in 1857, with Grand Island colony, being the pilot and agent. The colony consisted of thirty-five persons, who all settled southwest and southeast of what is known now as Grand Island City, on the then wild and lonesome plains. Mr. S. has been known as one of the leading men in the above colony. He has been instrumental in bringing through two trains, each consisting of ten wagons, and the latter consisted of twenty-five persons. Mr. S. settled on a homestead on Sections 28-29, Town 11, Range 9, consisting of 160 acres, with 120 acres now under cultivation. He has now one of the finest groves of timber, orchard, and nursery in the States. He owns eighty acres of meadow land near Platte River. He makes stock raising his main business. He has not been identified with any political office. He was detailed by State Grange Relief Committee for the purpose of soliciting aid of Congress. He succeeded in obtaining $150,000 as an appropriation for the relief of the grasshopper sufferers. He also succeeded in getting free transportation for all good donated to the grasshopper sufferers. He is a member of Hall County Agricultural Society. He was born in Holstein, Germany, April 6, 1831. He joined the revolution in 1848 between Schleswig-Holstein and Denmark; he came to America in 1849, and located in Davenport, Iowa. He engaged in various occupations until he came to Nebraska. He was married in Davenport, Iowa, July 15, 1855, to Miss Wilhelmina Fredrika Hagge. She was born in Holstein, Germany, April 21, 1837. They have nine children, Frederick, Anna, Minnie, William, Emiel, Richard, Augusta, Clara, and Otilie
GEN. JOHN M. THAYER located in Omaha in the fall of 1854, being one of the first settlers in that place. Farmed several years. In 1855 he raised volunteers and went to Fontenelle, on the then frontier, to fight and subdue the then troublesome Indians; he was at the head of 150 men, then called the Territorial militia; he made several visits to the Pawnee Indian camps for the purpose of conciliating them. In the spring of 1859 they broke out anew, and caused wide scenes of destruction to persons and property; he again received an order from the Government, and organized a force of 194 men, with one piece of artillery, followed the Pawnees five days, coming up with them at daylight, when they surrendered without bloodshed; he was a member of the Upper House of the Nebraska Legislature from 1859 to 1860; elected a member of the Constitutional Convention in the fall of 1860. When the rebellion broke out he wrote to the Secretary of War, proposing that Nebraska should furnish one regiment; he was therefore instrumental in organizing the First Regiment Nebraska Infantry, and was appointed Colonel of the same, organized in the spring and summer of 1861, and sent to St. Louis, then to Pilot Knob, and Sedalia, Mo.; then in the expedition under Gen. John C. Fremont to Springfield, Mo. They then came to St. Louis, Mo., and were sent by steamer to Fort Henry, and participated in the battles of Fort Donelson and Shiloh; he was then promoted to Brigadier General, having been in command of the second Brigade of Wallace's Division, at the two latter battles. Went to Memphis, and commanded a brigade of Iowa troops in the battle of Chickasaw Bayou, leading one of the storming columns in that memorable battle; then the battle of Arkansas Post, where 4,000 tp 5,000 prisoners were captured; then all through the siege of Vicksburg, was appointed Brigadier and Major General of volunteers for gallant and distinguished services; he participated in the capture of Jackson, Miss., under Gen. Sherman; he was in the Army of Arkansas under Gen. Steele, and participated in the battles of Prairie de Ann, Moscow, Jenkin's Ferry, and Saline River. Subsequently was placed in command of the Army of the Frontier, and stationed at Fort Smith some months, where he was attacked by the rebel Generals Cooper and Maxley, who were beaten off; he then commanded at Helena, on the Mississippi River, which closed his military service in July, 1865, where he was brevetted a Major General; his horse was killed under him at Arkansas Post; he then resumed his residence at Omaha, and on the admission of the State was elected United States Senator in 1866, drawing the four years ballot; took his seat March 4, 1867. In 1875 he was appointed Governor of Wyoming Territory, and served one term; he was born in Bellingham, Norfolk Co., Mass. Was married to Miss Mary T. Allen, of Mansfield, Mass., the daughter of the Rev. John Allen, a Baptist clergyman. They have three sons, George D., Herbert, and John M., Jr.
C. W. THOMAS, grain, baled hay, and produce, commenced business (groceries, and boots and shoes), January 1, 1868; sold his interest to W. R. McAllister, September 1, 1869. Bought the grocery business of Koenig & Wiebe October 19, 1869; erected a store in 1871, and carried a general stock of merchandise until 1872, when he classified his business by selling groceries, queensware, etc. and buying out the stock of dry goods and clothing of R. C. Jordan, agent, and Peterson & Ruelberg. Continued in the dry goods and clothing business until February 1, 1879, when he sold out to H. H. Glover. In August of the same year, in company with Gregg Bros., St. Joseph, Mo., and F. A. Sears, erected a steam elevator. Sold out to Mr. Sears in August , 1880, and engaged in his present business alone; he has shipped over 300 carloads of grain since November 1, 1882, and paid out an average of $20,000 per month; he was born in Detroit, Mich., October 2, 1845. Enlisted in Co. H, Ninth Michigan Infantry, August, 1861; Was married to Miss Elizabeth Hanford, of Detroit, in 1868. They have six children; he is a member of Ashlar Lodge, No. 33, A., F. & A. M.; Kilwining Lodge, No. 1, A. & A. S. R.; Deuel Chapter, No. 11, R. A. M., and Mount Lebanon Commandery, No. 6, of Grand Island, Neb.
H. THOMAS, of the firm of Thomas & Co., buyers and shippers of all kinds of produce and dealers in a general line of family groceries, queensware, etc., began business in May, 1882, carrying a stock of $4,000, and employ five men. Mr. Thomas located in Grand Island in 1871, clerked in a grocery store two years, then in the meat market business, under the firm name of Hall & Thomas one and one-half years, then in the grocery trade at Alda a few months, farmed two years, after which clerked in a grocery and hardware trade until the spring of 1880, then took charge and an interest in the produce trade until May, 1882, with his brother; he was born in Detroit, Mich., November 17, 1851; he married in Gibbon, Neb., in 1873, Miss Sarah A. Washburn, of New York. They have four children--Olive L., Herbert H., Sarah E., and Albert R.
P. TOUHEY, Road Master for Second Division Union Pacific Railroad, including St. Paul branch, making 200 miles of railroad; has charge of about two hundred men; he located in Grand Island in the spring of 1868 as a laborer, soon promoted to foreman of repairs, and filled the place three years. Was conductor of a freight train two years, since which time has been road-master. Born in Ireland in 1839. Came to America with his parents in 1845.
D. H. VAN TINE, County Superintendent of Public Instruction of Hall County, Neb., he was located in Alda, Hall Co., in 1880; he taught school five terms; he was elected County Superintendent while teaching his last term in 1881. There are sixty-three organized school districts, with sixty-three schools now in session under his supervision. There are seventy school-houses in Hall County. Average teacher's salary is, males $35, females, $27 per month; he was born in Chazy, Clinton Co., N. Y., in July 1853; he was raised on a farm, followed teaching and mercantile business until he came west; he is a member of Blue Lodge Chapter and Knight Templar A. F. & A. M. of his native County.
C. VON WASMER, of the firm of C. Wasmer & Bro., dealers in grain implements, etc., opened business in Omaha, Neb., in 1870, continued in general grocery business a year, then moved to Grand Island and opened a general mercantile business until the fall of 1878; sold out and opened their present large and increasing business, selling all kinds of implements and buying all kinds of grain. The firm shipped from 12,000,000 to 18,000,000 pounds of grain from August 1, 1881 to August 1, 1882. They employ fifteen men. Also have the business established at St. Paul, Neb., since spring, 1880. Mr. W. was born in Holstein, Germany, June 19, 1845. Came to America in 1862, and located in Nebraska, following farming until 1868; then went to Omaha in the employ of H. Pundt & Co., until 1870; married in Grand Island in 1874, to Miss Emma Ivers, of Springfield, Ill. They have three children--Elfride, Herman and Margaret. Mr. W. is a member of Liederkranz Society; has been a member of the City Board since its organization, and member of the City Council from 1876 to 1880 inclusive.
O. U. WESTCOTT, proprietor of livery, sale and feed stables. Opened business in December, 1878. Size of barn 66x48 feet. Keeps fourteen head of good horses and nice turnouts, consisting of eleven carriages, etc., and employs three men; he located in Grand Island, October, 1878. Born in Trenton, Oneida Co., N. Y., December 22, 1830. Lived in his native State until 1847, then moved to Dane County, Wis., and farmed seven years. In 1861 went to Carrollton, Freeborn Co., Minn., farmed four years, lived in Alma City until 1878, running a grist mill, mercantile and drug business. He then came to Nebraska. Was married in Fulton, Rock County, Wis., July 4, 1854, to Miss Elmira E. Coon, of Alfred, Allegany Co., N. Y. They have three children--Erford A., Charles R., and Chloe P. Mr. W. is a member of City Council of Grand Island.
J. W. WEST, dealer in general line of groceries and sewing machines. Employs two men and runs a free delivery wagon; he opened business in March, 1874, and carried a stock of $2,000. At first he was in company with a brother three years, after which he became alone interested in the business, and now carries a stock of $3,600; he was born in Delaware, near Smyrna in 1844. Lived in his native county until 1874; was first engaged in farming, then taught school, traveled for a notion house a year as salesman, then went west; he has been Justice of the Peace since 1877; he is a member of the Masonic Order, Knights of Honor, and the M. E. Church. Was married in Delaware in 1866, to Miss Martha A. Rutledge, of the latter State. They have nine children--Anna A., Mary E., James E. P., John W., Mattie E., Mabel L., Ella M., Robert R., and an infant daughter named Fannie.
[Portrait of Jay. E. White.]
(Editor's note: There seems to be no mention of this person, except for the picture.)
CHARLES A. WIEBE, of the firm of H. H. Glover & Co., dealer in general line of dry goods, ready-made clothing, etc.; he first came to Nebraska in 1862 with his parents; they located on the O. K. farm, one-half mile south of Grand Island; he was born in St. Mary's, Pottawattamie Co., Iowa, July 28, 1860; he worked for his father, Fred A. Wiebe, in the lumber and grain business, that being the first lumber business in the place, since which time he has worked for C. W. Thomas, R. C. Jordan and H. H. Glover; became a partner of the latter January 11, 1882.
A. H. WILHELM, dealer in all kinds of household furniture. The business was opened by M. C. Burkett in 1879, bought by Mr. W. in April, 1882. He carries a stock of $5,000, employs two men. He first located in Alda, Hall Co., May, 1871, engaged in general merchandising until 1874, went to New York City and worked in a crockery store until 1876; returned to Grand Island and clerked in agricultural implement business until December, 1881. Born in New York City in February, 1849; lived there eighteen years, and went to Chicago, Ill., and became a commercial traveler three years, then to Nebraska. Married in Grand Island, December, 1873, to Miss Anna S. Hooper, of the latter city. Have two children--Alice and Edward. He is a member of I. O. O. F. of New York City.
CHAUNCEY WILTSE, proprietor of Grand Island Hotel, only first-class hotel in the city. Mr. W. first came to Omaha, Neb., in May, 1856, engaged in private land surveying until 1859, then into government land surveys until 1874, followed mining in Central city, Col., until 1861. Taught school in Independence, Iowa, two years. Was draughtsman four years in Surveyor General's Office in Dubuque, Iowa, and in 1867 returned to Omaha, Neb., where he took a good contract for surveying portions of Madison County, Neb., and islands in the Platt River opposite, completing his work in 1874, by establishing the northern boundary of Nebraska. Was then appointed Chief Clerk of Surveyor General's Office of Nebraska, moving the office from Dubuque, Iowa, to Plattsmouth, Neb. Continued in charge two years, then went to Omaha and built his first home in 1869, after which he followed private and government land surveys until 1874, at which time he became editor of the Omaha Republican, and continued six months, after which he came to Grand Island, and rented the hotel by same name where he is now doing a thriving business. He was born in Tompkins County, N. Y., 1834. Began to study law in Omaha, Neb.; admitted at the bar in 1874. He is now president of Nance County Bank. He enlisted in Company A, Forty-fourth Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry; 100 days service, served four months; mustered out in Davenport, Iowa, September, 1864. He is now a member of Lion Post No. 11, G. A. R., and Commander of the same.
E. R. WISEMAN, dealer in grain, lumber, and building material of all kinds. He opened the business in 1873, locating in Grand Island in March of that year. He was born in Wood County, W. Va., in 1838. He lived in his native county until 1873. During the war in 1863, he moved to Ohio, where he remained a few months, and returned to his native State, and remained until he came to Nebraska. While in Virginia he was engaged in general merchandise twelve years. He was married in West Virginia in 1860, to Miss Frances Beauchamp, of Wood County, W. Va. They have four children--Alice, Lenora, Jennie and Ralph.
JAMES H. WOOLLEY, attorney at law. He came to Grand Island in September, 1878, and opened a law office and general collecting business. He now is attorney for Grand Island Banking Company. He was appointed Deputy District Attorney in July, 1881. He was born in Griggsville, Pike Co., Ill., April 16, 1853. He lived in his native State until seventeen years of age, when he lived near Poughkeepsie, N. Y., eighteen months, attending New Paltz Academy in Ulster County a part of the time; then went to Lincoln, Neb., and attended the State University for some time; then taught school four years, still continuing the study of law. He entered the office of Gen. J. R. Webster, and continued two years, when he was admitted to the bar, June 3, 1878. He then came to Grand Island and began the practice of his chosen profession. He deals in real estate, and loans money for eastern parties.