Hall County | Early History|
Wild Game in the County | Indian Depredations | The Great Storm|
Grasshoppers | Old Settlers | Saw and Grist Mills
Agriculture | Public Improvements
Grand Island: Early History of Grand Island | U. P. Railroad Shops|
Grand Island Buildings | Newspapers | Churches | Schools | Societies
4 ~ 5:
ABBOTT ~ MAKELEY | MARTIN ~ WOOLLEY
Doniphan: Doniphan Biographies|
Wood River: Wood River Biographies
List of Illustrations in Hall County Chapter
[RESIDENCE OF HON. JOHN L. MEAN.]
(Editor's note: There seems to be no mention of this person, except for the picture.)
O. A. ABBOTT, Attorney at Law. He located in Grand Island in 1867, and commenced the practice of law. He served an unexpired term in the Nebraska State Senate in 1872. He was a member of the constitutional conventions in 1871 and 1875. He was elected lieutenant governor in the fall of 1876. He was born Hartley, Canada East, September 19, 1842. He lived in his native country until 15 years of age when the family moved to DeKalb Co., Ill., where he attended school and farmed until 1861. He enlisted in September, 1861, in Co. I, Ninth Regiment, Illinois Cavalry; participated in the battles of Gen. Curtis' campaigns in Missouri and Arkansas, and guarded the Memphis and Charleston Railroad. He was wounded in the right arm at Pontotoc, Miss., July 1, 1864. At Nashville, Tenn., December 15, 1864, was shot through the left side. He was promoted to second-lieutenant February 23, 1864. He was appointed first lieutenant May 23, 1865; he was mustered out in October 31, 1865. Began to study law while in service, buying his first law books in Selma, Ala. He was admitted to the bar in 1867, at Belvidere, Ill., having studied two years in the law office of Ira M. Moore. He married February 9, 1873, Miss Lizzie M. Giffin, of Sycamore, Ill. They have four children, Othman A., Jr., Edith, Grace, and Arthur G. He is a member of the Masonic order of Grand Island, also Lyons Post No. 11, G. A. R.
WM. L. ARNOLD, proprietor of the Blue Front, livery, sale, and feed stables. Opened business in May, 1881. Deals in horses, and does a general livery business. Was born in Bushnell, Ill., December 6, 1857. His parents moved to Leavenworth, Kan., 1858, lived there a year and removed to Albia, Iowa, lived there two years, then to Harrison Co., Western Iowa, a year, after which they located in Lincoln, Neb. His father, Abel Arnold, was a physician. William first engaged in the sale of fruit and forest trees about three years, then attended and taught school some time, after which engaged in dealing in horses, etc. He is a member of I. O. G. T.
F. M. BACON, of the firm of Griswold & Bacon, dealers in lumber and building material. They established the business in September, 1878; employ four men. He first came to Grand Island in the spring of 1873, bought a farm of three hundred and twenty acres, near the then village of Grand Island, and cultivated the same until he sold out and entered the lumber trade. He still owns a farm of 160 with 90 acres in cultivation. He was born in Auburn, N. Y., July 5, 1825, from there went to Pennsylvania with his parents, and in 1845, at the age of twenty, he left home and settled in Miami Co., Ind., then nearly a wilderness, the Miami Indians occupying the southern and the Pottawattamies the northern portions of the country, and there opened out a farm in the heavy timber. He was married in 1850 to Sarah F. Griswold, his present wife, in 1861, he moved to Peru, the county seat, and engaged in the agricultural implement trade with A. R. Whistler, under the firm name of Whistler & Bacon. Leaving the firm three years later, continuing the lumber trade alone, until March, 1873, when he moved with his family of six children, four daughters and two sons, to his present house, where they all reside at this time. Alice M. was married to S. M. Bryan, book and fancy goods dealer. Laurie A. was married to H. A. Bartling in the Union Pacific Railroad employ. Jennie L., married to S. B. Reynard, dealer in musical instruments, and Gertrude, single and at home. Walter R., married, is bookkeeper for the firm. Fred, single and at home, is receiving and shipping clerk for the firm.
PROF. GROVE E. BARBER, City Superintendent of Public Instruction, at Grand Island, Neb. There are 10 schools, 11 teachers, and about 900 pupils. All the common branches are taught, and many of the higher studies are pursued in the upper departments. Mr. Barber was born in Freedom, Ohio, November 1, 1844. His father died when he was an infant. He entered the Western Reserve Eclectic Institute, which afterward became Hiram College, of Hiram, Ohio. In the fall of 1860 taught school, and in the winter of 1861-62, enlisted in Co. I, 104th Regular Volunteer Infantry, and participated in the siege of Knoxville and Atlanta campaign, and battles in that vicinity, battle of Franklin, Tenn., November 30, 1864, and Nashville, Tenn., December 15 and 16, 1864. Was mustered out in Cleveland, Ohio, June 30, 1865. He served as a musician, afterward re-entered Hiram College, from which he graduated in the spring of 1871, at which time he became Superintendent of Public Schools, of Rock Creek, Ashtabula Co., Ohio for one year. Then elected to the professorship of Latin and Greek of Hrame College, which position he filled until June, 1881, when he moved to Nebraska. He was married in Freedom, Ohio, June 24, 1867, to Miss Esther B. Gardner, of the latter place. They have four children, Lena A., Harry G., Alphonzo G., and Virgil C. He was elected to the chair of Latin in Nebraska University, July 27, 1882.
ADOLPH BLUNK, of the firm of Blunk Bros., proprietors of the Platte Valley Grist Mill. Erected mill in 1877. Size building 28x42; three run stone, 9½ feet head; capacity 80 barrels in twenty-four hours. Cost $5,000. They have one hundred and fifty-one acres of fine land in connection with the mill, one hundred of which is under cultivation, located on Section 29, Town 11, Range 9, and two and a half miles southwest of Grand Island. They first located in Hall County, 1871; worked at various occupations until 1873, bought the above farm, cultivated same four years, then went into milling business. Mr. Adolph Blunk was born in Holsteni, Germany, April 12, 1854. Came to America, 1871. He is a member of Leiderkranz Society of Grand Island.
HENRY D. BOYDEN, dealer in general line of drugs, paints, oils, and druggists' sundries. He became proprietor of his present business February 12, 1881. He first came to Nebraska, May 10, 1879, as manager of a drug store owned by J. W. Bean, of Morris, Ill., in which capacity he continued until he purchased a stock of drugs and opened for himself. He was born in Morrisville, N. Y., December 26, 1852, where his parents lived about six years. They moved to Chicago, Ill., and resided there five years. After living a year near Eau Claire, Wis., they returned to Chicago, remained three years and went to Kenosha, Wis. At the age of sixteen he became apprenticed to Hon. Fred Robinson, druggist of Kenosha, three years and a half. He went to Chicago in 1872, and served as prescription clerk. He returned to Kenosha in the same occupation. His former employer, Mr. Robinson, placed him in charge of his drug store until 1878, when he went to Morris, Ill., as prescription clerk until he came to Nebraska.
H. L. BURKET, stock raiser, has a ranch located on the head-waters of North Loup River in Northern Nebraska, where he keeps from four hundred to five hundred head of cattle. The business is owned by M. C. Burket, his wife, nearly all of which is fine graded Durham stock. He opened the ranch in April, 1882. He first located in Grand Island, 1878, and engaged in the furniture and undertaking business until April, 1882. Born in Alexandria, Huntington Co., Penn., September 16, 1842; lived there with his parents until 1847, and moved to Dixon, Ill., where they lived until 1870. Engaged in farming, stock, coal, restaurant, and ice cream business. Came to Ottumwa, Iowa, as traveling salesman. Moved to Pottawattamie Co., Iowa; dealt in stock two years, then came west. Enlisted in the spring of 1861 in Co. B., Thirteenth Regular Illinois Volunteer Infantry; participated in the battles of Vicksburg, Miss., Arkansas Post, Missionary Ridge, Lookout Mountain, Springfield, Mo., and a number of skirmishes on White River, Jackson, Chickasaw Bayou, etc. Mustered out in Springfield, Ill., June, 1864. Married in Dixon, Ill., 1866, to Miss Mary C. Anderson, of Alexandria, Penn. They have three children, Clara Ada, Jessie D., and Julia Della. He is a member of Lyon Post No. 11, G. A. R.; K. of H., and an elder of the Presbyterian Church.
GEO. H. CALDWELL, Judge of the County Court of Hall Co., Nebraska, was born in Meigs Co., Ohio, in 1844, raised upon a farm until 1864. Enlisted in Co. C., 140th Ohio National Guards and mustered into the service May, 1864, at Gallipolis, Ohio, and was stationed at Charleston and Meadow Bluff, W. Va., during his enlistment; was honorably discharged in the fall of the same year; remained upon his father's farm until the spring of 1875, when he went to the Oil Regions of Wirt Co., W. Va., where he invested in the oil business, clerking in a store, a telegraph operator, and student at law. Removed to Parkersburg, W. Va., in 1875, where he completed his law studies in the office of Hon. D. H. Leonard, and was admitted to the Bar in the spring of 1876. Came to Hall Co., Neb., May, 1877, and opened a law office. Formed a law partnership with Hon. O. A. Abbott, which continued until the fall of 1881, when he was elected Judge of the County Court of Hall County for two years. Was married to Miss Carrie F. Hutchinson, of Beaver Co., Penn., in May, 1877. Is a member of Lyon Post, G. A. R., and a member of the Masonic fraternity. Practices in the higher courts of his county and state.
JAMES CLEARY, dealer in hardware, stoves, and tinware. Opened business April 1, 1870, being the oldest established hardware business in the city of Grand Island, carrying a stock then of about $400; now carries a fine stock of $6,000. Employs three men. Size of building 80x22 feet, two stories high. He was born in Ireland. Came to America in 1859, with his parents, and settled in Louisburg, W. Va. Lived there until the close of the Rebellion. Enlisted in 1863, in Co. A, Fourteenth Regiment Virginia Cavalry, in Gen. Jenkins' Brigade; participated in the battles of Gettysburg, Winchester, Droop Mountain, and many skirmishes. After leaving the army he engaged at the tinners' trade in Charlestown, W. Va., a year. Engaged in the same business in Atchison, Kan., a year, then to Denver and Central City, Col., and worked at the same trade until he came to Nebraska. Married in Grand Island, 1874, to Miss Johanna Danahy, of New York state. They have three children, Mary Josephine, John Leo, and James Timothy. He was Mayor of Grand Island in 1876, City Treasurer a year, now a member of the City Council.
F. D. COLLINS, of the firm of Collins & Kerr, dealers in clothing and gents furnishing goods. Opened business in September, 1881, carry a stock of $5,000. Mr. Collins is also a part proprietor of a brick-yard, under the firm name of Collins, King & Berkenbuel. They have a capacity of manufacturing 3,000 pressed bricks per day. Employ twenty men. He was born in Toulon, Illinois, in 1856; lived in his native state until he came to Nebraska. He was clerk in Illinois four years. Married in 1878 in Kewanee, Ill., to Miss Ella M. Kerr, of the latter place.
[RESIDENCE OF GEORGE CORNELIUS.]
GEORGE CORNELIUS, County Treasurer of Hall County. He has been engaged in farming in the above county since May, 1864, when he followed the same in connection with carpenter work until January, 1880, when he was elected County Treasurer. In the fall of 1881 he was re-elected. He owns one hundred and sixty-five acres of land, all under cultivation, three and a half miles southwest of Grand Island. He had been County Commissioner two terms. Was born in Schleswig Holstein, Germany, January 25, 1844. Came to America in 1857, and settled with his parents in Davenport, Iowa. Worked on a farm and at the carpenter trade until he came to Nebraska. Was married in Grand Island, April 30, 1868, to Miss Gertrude Rauert, of the same place, in Germany. They have four children, August N., Jacob William, George Marcus, and John C. Mr. Cornelius is a member of the Leiderkranz Society.
A. J. CUSHMAN, dealer in furniture of all kinds. Opened business December, 1880. Employs three men, and carries a stock of $13,000 in all kinds of household furniture. He was born in Sandy Creek, Oswego Co., N. Y., March 31, 1838. Went from New York to Ionia and St. Joseph, Mich.; worked at the carpenter trade some time, also engaged in the furniture business ten years. Went to Independence, Kan., in 1875; engaged in the same business until he came to Nebraska. Enlisted in Engineers' and Mechanics' Regiment in 1862; served two years. Married in Peoria, Ill., June 15, 1875, to Miss Anna Goodrich, of New York.
H. C. DENMAN, Sheriff of Hall Co., Nebraska. He was located in Nebraska County, fifteen miles below Nebraska City, with his parents, on government land, in 1859, and lived there until 1871, then moved to Hall County, ten miles south of Grand Island, on a homestead. Now owns five hundred acres of land with three hundred and forty under cultivation, and is quite extensively engaged in stock raising and shipping, was elected Sheriff of Hall County in the fall of 1881. He was born in Licking Co., Ohio, July 24, 1844. His family moved near Bloomington, Ill., in 1852, and lived there until he came to Nebraska, is a member of the Masonic order of Grand Island. He was married in Cass Co., Mo., in 1869, to Miss Ella R. Edmunson, of Pleasant Hill, Mo. They have four children, Lena Belle, Brtha, Franklin, John Harrison, and Mary Ann.
JOHN EGGERS, of the firm of Eggers Bros., dealers in all kinds of fresh and salt meats. Opened the business in the fall of 1874. Employs three men and does a large business. He located in Grand Island in 1869, afterward spent three years in Texas. Was born in Germany, December 7, 1851. Came to America in the spring of 1869
HENRY ELSNER, of the firm Conley & Elsner, dealers in a general line of groceries, provisions, tobacco, and cigars, queensware, etc. Opened business in December 1881; carry a stock of $4,000, and employ four men. He was born in Germany in 1856, came to America in 1879, and located in Grand Island, worked on a farm some time, and clerked in the grocery trade, and became a partner in the above firm. He was married in December, 1880, in Central City, Neb., to Miss Anna Ott, of Germany. They have one son, Henry. S. A. Conley of the above firm, was born in Monongalia County, W. Va., January 15, 1855; lived there until 1857, and moved with his parents to Nebraska, opposite Sioux City, Iowa, and lived there seven years, then to Bates County, Mo., and lived there some time. He moved to Pleasanton, Kan., and clerked in a grocery store and express office seven years. Came to Grand Island, Neb., in the summer of 1881, and took charge of the grocery store for H. C. Decker. Was married June 17, 1877, to Miss Julia Baugh, of Linn County, Kan. They have two children, Lena Pearl and Charles Allen
JAMES EWING, Deputy County Treasurer, and editor and proprietor of the Wood River Gazette. He located at Wood River in May, 1871, where he farmed and taught school, until the fall of 1877, when he was elected County Superintendent of Public Instruction, and by re-election, served four years at the end of which he became Deputy County Treasurer. He issued the first number of the Wood River Gazette in March, 1882. It had, however been issued since September, 1881. Mr. Ewing also deals in real estate, and is agent for several fire insurance companies. He was born in Allegany Co., N. Y., July 7, 1850. He was raised on a farm, and lived in his native state until sixteen years of age, when he went with his parnts to Cedar Co., Iowa, where he followed farming and teaching until he came to Nebraska.
DR. M. J. GAHAN, physician and surgeon, located in Grand Island March 1, 1875, where he has since practiced medicine. Was born in Dublin, Ireland, May 27, 1844. Came to America with his parents in 1846, and settled in Philadelphia, Penn. He left there in 1855 and went to Baltimore, Md, and stayed there one year, then to St. Johns, N. B., one year. Entered the St. Dunstan's College on Prince Edward's Island, where he was a student until the latter part of 1860. Entered the volunteer service as Medical Cadet, and was stationed in the United States Mustering Office in New York City until 1863, then entered active service as Hospital Steward of the Thirteenth New York Heavy Artillery, remaining in the field until July, 1865. Mustered out July 11, 1865. Lived a year in Boston, Mass., when he went to Galveston, Tex., and entered the Galveston Medical College, where in due course of time he graduated and entered the regular army as surgeon. Served in the Fifth Louisiana District until 1871. Re-entered the service in a short time as Hospital Steward in the regular army, until 1875, after which, he settled in Grand Island and began the practice of medicine. He is known as the first surgeon that performed ovariotomy in that part of Nebraska successfully. He is now Medical Director of G. A. R. of the state, and holds the position of Chairman of the State Medical Society; also Assistant Surgeon for the Union Pacific Railroad, and full Surgeon of the St. Jo, Denver and Northern Railroad; also Scottish Rite, Mason, and Director of the Grand Island Building and Loan Association.
HENRY GIESE, farmer and stock raiser. Came to Grand Island in 1860; located on his present place in 1864, Sections twenty and twenty-nine, consisting of one hundred and sixty acres, one hundred and ten of which are under cultivation. Was born in Holstein, Germany, December 1, 1839. Came to America in 1857; lived in Scott Co., Iowa, and farmed until he came to Nebraska, since which time he has followed farming and stock raising. Married in Grand Island in 1867, to Mary Obermuller, a native of Schleswig, Germany. They have four children, Bertha, Caroline, Henry, and Metha. Mr. Giese has been Constable and Road Supervisor of his precinct for eight years.
H. H. GLOVER, of the firm of H. H. Glover & Co.; C. A. Wiebe is the other member of the firm. They are large dealers in dry goods, clothing, boots and shoes, carpets, and all kinds of dry goods. Opened business in 1879; carries a $30,000 stock, and employs twelve men in the business. Mr. Glover located in Omaha in 1876, worked as traveling salesman for a clothing store three years. He then came to Grand Island and opened the above business. Was born in Dorchester, Mass., near Boston, in 1853. Lived in his native state for four years, after which he came west. He is a member of the Masonic order of Grand Island. Was married in Council Bluffs, Iowa, 1880, to Miss Maggie Field, of the latter city. The have one son, Edward D.
CHARLES GUENTHER, contractor and builder, Grand Island, Neb. Opened business in the fall of 1876; employs from ten to fifteen men in the business season. He erected the Wolbach store and residence, and many other fine buildings in Grand Island. He first came to Grand Island in the fall of 1869. Was born at Mechlin, Germany, December 5, 1853; came to America in 1859; located in Grand island, and was married in the latter city, May 6, 1881, to Miss Margaretta Sthere, native of Holstein, Germany. They have one son, Herman. Mr. Guenther is a member of Leiderkranz Society and City Fire Department.
WILLIAM AUGUST HAGGE, collecting agent for the State Central Bank. Located in Grand Island in 1857; engaged in farming until 1872; was appointed County Treasurer for Hall County in the fall of 1871; was elected in the fall of 1872, and by re-election held the office three terms. He then assisted the present County Treasurer a year. Was prospecting in the summer of 1880. Was in the County Treasurer's office during 1881, after which he accepted his present position. Was born in Holstein, Germany, April 3, 1834; came to America in 1849, settled in Moline, Ill., remained there some time, then to Davenport, Iowa, where he attended school, there engaged in mercantile business some time; came with the Davenport Colony to Nebraska, in May, 1857; was married in Grand island in the fall of 1865, to Miss Caroline Miller, of the same place in Germany. They have seven children, Ida, Adelede, Emma, William, August, Hellene, Frederick, and Clara. Mr. Hagge is a member of the Leiderkranz Society.
T. O. C. HARRISON, firm of Harrison & Rief, attorneys at law, loan and insurance agents, abstracts furnished, etc. He located in Grand Island in March, 1873, taught school a few terms, and was admitted to the bar of practice in June, 1873. Practiced law until 1875; went to California and Oregon, remained a few months, and returned to Grand Island. Was Deputy County Treasurer a year; served a year as County Judge of Hall County; was elected to the same office in the fall of 1877, and held it one term; was also Police Judge at the same time, and is at present holding the latter office. Born in Clinton County, Ohio, May 23, 1848, and was raised in New Burlington, Clinton County, Ohio, where he lived until he came to Nebraska. Entered the law office of his uncle, R. A. Harrison, of London, Madison County, when quite young, and remained in the study of law until he came to Nebraska. Married in Grand Island, March 25, 1879, to Miss M. Camille Laine, of Madison County, N. Y. He is a member of the Masonic order of Grand Island.
FRED HEDDE, dealer in farm implements, machinery, lumber, grain, etc. Located in the vicinity of Grand Island in 1857; he farmed until 1869. Began merchandising in 1864, and continued until 1869, at which date he went to Germany as emigrant agent for Nebraska, located in Hamburg, and after successfully operating eighteen months, returned to Omaha, where after remaining some time he went to California and Oregon; then returned to Grand Island, in the spring of 1873, and opened a general store and sale of farm implements; he added the lumber trade in 1874, and sold the store in 1880. Now keeps a large stock of implements and lumber of all kinds, and owns a large amount of real estate. He was born in Holstein, Germany, September 11, 1818; came to America in 1854, and lived in Davenport, Iowa, where he was principal in forming a colony of thirty persons to settle in Nebraska. These people are among the most wealthy and prosperous settlers in Central Nebraska. He was married in New York City in 1855 to Mrs. Caroline (Waechter) Bueneman, a native of Thuringen Germany. Mr. H. was County Judge in 1858-59, was a member of the Nebraska Territorial Legislature from 1858-61, and a member of the Council of Grand Island after the organization of the city government.
H. C. HELD, dealer in watches, clocks, and jewelry, silver and plated ware, opened business in September, 1872, with a stock of $1,000; he now carries a stock of $4,500, and employs two men. Born in Hanover, Germany, Jan. 20, 1842; came to America in the fall of 1868, locating in New Orleans, La., a short time; then came to Omaha, Neb., and worked in the jewelry business four years, after which he came to Grand Island, Neb. Was married in the latter city in 1876, to Miss Minnie Wyese, a native of Holstein, Germany; they have two children--Adoph H. and Minnie. He is a member of the Liederkranz Society and I. O. O. F. of Grand Island; he was a member of the Sharpshooters in Hanover, Germany, for twenty months during the years 1863 and 1864; he served in the German-Danish war, also in the Prussian and Austrian War.
HENRY W. HIGH, stock dealer, ships on an average of five carloads per month, at an average cost of $600; he began the stock business in 1878. He first located in Alda, on a homestead, in 1873, and farmed on Section 32, Town 11, Range 11; he owns 240 acres of land, 200 of which is under cultivation, with a fine cottonwood grove. He was born in Gouverneur, St. Lawrence Co., N. Y.; his parents moved to Rock County, Wis., when he was a child, where he lived until seven years old; he then went to Green County, and lived twelve years, when they moved to Stephenson County, Ill., where he farmed until he came to Nebraska. He married in Monroe, Green Co., Wis., in 1868, to Miss Lottie Fellows, of Du Page County, Ill.; they have two children--Agnes Viola and Allen Warren. He enlisted in 1862 in Company D, Ninety-third Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry; he was in the battles of Port Gibson, Raymond, Jackson, Baker's Creek, Black River, siege of Vicksburg, Missionary Ridge, and Altoona Pass; he was mustered out in 1865 at Louisville, Ky.
EDWARD HOOPER came to Grand Island in the settlement of 1861, and engaged in blacksmithing on the old California stage road, on the banks of the Platte River; moved to his present place in the city of Grand Island in 1866; he engaged in the agricultural implement business in 1873, and in 1879, he, in company with Ferguson Brothers, erected the Grand Island iron and brass foundry and machine shops, 20x40 feet, one and a half stories high, of brick, with an engine room 14x20 feet; he contemplates soon erecting a large brick structure, and will put in a twenty-five horse power engine to propel the machinery, etc.; he employs eleven men; he bought the entire interest in February, 1881; born in Monmouthshire, South Wales, April 10, 1835; came to America in April, 1861; was raised a blacksmith; married in Wales, in October, 1855, to Miss Sarah Parcell, of the same place; they have five children--Anna S., married to Mr. A. H. Wilhelm, and living in Grand Island, William H., Alice E., Charles A., and Lillie. Has served five years as County Commissioner; elected Mayor of the city two successive terms; is at present City Councilman, and a member of the Masonic order and the I. O. O. F.
JOHN L. HOUCK, foreman of the blacksmith department of Union Pacific Railroad shops, has charge of sixty men, which do all the work for the locomotive department and car shops for the main line, and St. Joe & Western, also the St. Paul branch; he located in Grand Island, Neb., November 25, 1881, coming from the Hannibal & St. Joe Railroad, having been foreman at Brookfield, Mo.; was born in Germany, December 24, 1837; came with his parents to America in 1842, and learned his trade in Toledo, Ohio, beginning at the age of eighteen years; he worked in the latter place four years; then went to Cleveland, Ohio, four months; then to Pittsburg, Pa., a year; then was steamboat blacksmith on the Ohio River, ranking as second engineer on the steamer City of Alleghany; then worked for the Illinois Central Railroad a year, at Amboy, Ill.; then for the Hannibal & St. Joe Railroad about twenty years. Was married in Brookfield, Mo., in the fall of 1865 to Miss Lavina Stemhellver, of near Decatur, Ill.; they have two children--John Calvin and Daisy Belle. He is a charter member of Brookfield Lodge, No. 86, A., F. & A. M., also a member of a Masonic Benevolent Association of Matoon, Ill.
M. B. HOXIE, Register of the United States Land Office, Grand Island, Neb., received the appointment in September, 1878, to engage in the practice of law in Schuyler in 1869; in 1873 was elected and re-elected in 1875 District Attorney for the Fourth Judicial District of Nebraska. He was born in Wayne County, N. Y., May 28, 1837; his family moved to Montrose, Iowa, in 1838; then to Fairfield and Des Moines, Iowa, in 1846; began the study of law at the age of eighteen, entering the law office of Finch & Crocker, where he studied a number of years; was admitted to the bar of the Circuit Court in 1858, and practiced in Iowa until he came to Nebraska; he secured the division of Platte County in 1868-69, and organized the eastern portion into Colfax County, establishing the county seat at Schuyler.
CHRISTIAN IPSEM, dealer in a general line of drugs, patent medicines, paints, oils, etc., and sole agent for Jones' ventilated truss, opened for business in March, 1882. He first located in Omaha in 1875, and clerked for C. F. Goodman until he was sent to Grand Island to take charge of the drug store in 1876, which capacity he continued until he became proprietor; he carries a stock of $2,500. Born in Denmark February 19, 1848; came to America in 1868, and located in Council Bluffs, Iowa; worked in a music store and traveled as salesman for the same until he returned to Europe in 1872; soon returned to Council Bluffs, Iowa, and clerked with the same music house a few months; worked in the Takama drug store two years, and in the drug business in Omaha a short time. He was married in Cheyenne, Wyoming, December 25, 1880, to Miss Anna Plunkett, of Indiana; they have one son--Percy Harold. Mr. I. is a member of Blue Lodge, Scottish Rites, A., F. & A. M., and Liederkranz, of Grand Island, Neb.
CHARLES IVERS, dealer in groceries and provisions, queensware, crockery, etc., opened business in June, 1881; carries a stock of $2,000 in goods, including building; building erected and completed in May, 1882. He located in Omaha in 1869 with his brother, and lived two years; came to Grand Island in 1871, and clerked in a general store about seven years; then worked in various stores until he engaged in business for himself. Born in Springfield, Ill., March 13, 1854, and lived in his native State until 1869; he is a member of the Liederkranz Society, has charge of their hall, and is a member of the Grand Island Fire Department. Was married in the latter city, in 1874, to Miss Wilhelmina Paustian, a native of Germany; they have two children--George and Edith.
GWYN T. JORDAN, firm of Jordan & Justice, dealers in a general line of hardware, stove, and tinware; doing a large and flourishing business. Mr. J. was born in Chillicothe, Ross County, Ohio, March 17, 1855; he lived in his native State until fourteen years of age, when he went to St. Joseph, Mo., and attended the school in the latter city five years, after which he was engaged as clerk in a wholesale hardware house for five years. He then went to Grand Island, Neb., and opened business.
E. W. JUSTICE, firm of Jordan & Justice, dealers in a general line of hardware, stoves, and tinware; they keep a large stock and do a large trade; they opened business March 24, 1881; they carry a stock of $10,000; they employ three men; size of building 23x100 feet; two stories and basement, filled with goods; they have one of the finest tin shops in Nebraska. Mr. Justice was born in Jacksonville, Ill., February 15, 1855; he lived in his native State until fifteen years old; his family then moved to Southern Kansas, and lived there six years; then moved to St. Joseph, Mo., where Mr. J. began the hardware business as clerk for a few months; he then went on the road as traveling salesman two years; then into the house until he came to Nebraska.
JAMES P. KERNOHAN, cashier of the Grand Island Banking Company. The above named bank was opened for business January 20, 1880, with a capital of $30,000,00, increased April 20, 1880, to $40,000; average deposits $25,000. C. P. Packer is president; James P. Kernohan, vice-president; C. H. Bell, assistant cashier; with C. P. Packer, G. A. Packer, S. A. Peterson, F. Sprague and J. P. Kernohan , directors. They do a general banking business in addition to long time loans and insurance. Mr. Kernohan was born near London, Ontario, January 7, 1849; left his native country in 1856 with his parents, and settled near Mason, Mich. He was principal of the Harrisville, Alcona Co., High School in 1875, '76, '77; was principal of Galesburg, Mich., High School, one year, 1877-78. He settled in Edgar, Neb., October 1, 1878, and engaged in a general banking business, under the firm name of Packer & Kernohan, until he removed to Grand Island, where he now conducts a large business in loans, etc. The company will move into its new stone and brick bank building, the best and safest building of the kind in central Nebraska, about September 15, 1882.
[Portrait of Henry A. Koenig.]
HENRY A. KOENIG, President of the State Central Bank, of Grand Island, Neb., located in Grand Island in 1862, and engaged in general merchandising until 1872. Erected the State Central Flouring Mills in the fall of 1867; the size of main building is 30x60 feet, thirty feet high, built of wood, with a brick engine room 20x35 feet; one and one-half stories high; brick boiler room, 16x45 feet, one story high; capacity of mill 150 barrels of flour in twenty-four hours; ware-house is independent of the mill, and is 24x50 feet, one story high. The State Central Bank represents a capital of $150,000 paid up, and a surplus of $200,000; average deposit equal to $70,000. D. H. Veiths is cashier. Bank opened for business August, 1871. Mr. Koenig opened the first lumber yard in the place in 1867, and dealt in grain in Grand Island and other intermediate points. He was born in Prussia, Germany, in 1836; came to America in 1860, and clerked in Omaha some time. Enlisted in 1861 in Company B, First Regiment Nebraska Volunteer Infantry; was made Second Lieutenant; participated in battle of Fort Donelson; was disabled, and resigned January, 1862; made a trip to Colorado, and soon afterward came to Grand Island. He married in Grand Island in 1863, to Miss Agathe Von Wasmer, Holstein, Germany. They have four children, Richard W., Mary, Arnold and Henry, Jr.
DR. H. B. LASHLEE, physician and surgeon, located in practice in Palmyra, Neb., April 1877, and practiced four years; located in Grand Island in June, 1881, where he has an extensive practice. Born in Camden, Benton Co., Tenn., November 10, 1846. Began the study of medicine in 1865, studied two years, and then engaged in the mercantile business two years, after which he took up the study of homeopathy. Entered the St. Louis Medical College; taking lectures in winter 1872-73. Then he returned to Hollow Rock, Tenn., and practiced his profession two years. Practiced in Columbia, Texas, a year and a half; came to St. Louis, Mo., and took his second course of lectures; graduating March 1, 1877. Then he came to Nebraska, and married in Nebraska City, April, 1878, to Miss Nellie Harman, of Peoria, Ill.; have three children, Claude, and an infant daughter, and Stella--a daughter by former marriage.
A. C. LEDERMAN, dealer in a general line of hardware, stoves and iron; opened for business in May, 1879, and employs three men. He was born in Pekin, Ill., in 1854, and lived in his native State until 1874. Began as clerk in a hardware store. Learned the tinner's trade, and opened business in his native town, continuing a year. Also in business in Belle Plaine somewhat over a year. He has a good trade, doing a fine retail business. Mr. Lederman is a member of the Masonic Order, and Liederkranz Society of Grand Island.
W. R. McALLISTER, dealer in groceries, provisions, boots and shoes, notions and agricultural implements, etc., opened business in September, 1867. Carries a stock of about $3,500, employs three men; he first located in Kearney City, two miles west of Fort Kearney, in May, 1858. Followed teaming from Omaha and west five years, then farmed and worked for the Union Pacific Railroad Company two years, prospected one and a half years, and then opened business. Born in Providence, R. I., March 24, 1846. Family moved to St. Louis, Mo., then to Canesville, now Council Bluffs, Iowa. Finally he located in Nebraska, as before stated. Married in Council Bluffs, Iowa, May 5, 1868, to Miss Emma Allison, of the latter place. They have five children--May, Grace, Lily, Louis and Ruth. Mr. McAllister is a member of the Masonic Order, and charter member Encampment I. O. O. F.; also Ancient Order of United Workmen, being one of the charter members of the latter. He was Postmaster in Grand Island for ten years, taking charge of the office in 1868, when it was worth only $12 per year, holding it until 1878, when he resigned; it paid $1,400 per annum.
HENRY P. MAKELEY, foreman of car repairs, and has charge of wrecking outfit on the Eastern Division of the Union Pacific Railroad and branches. He has twelve men under his supervision. He came to Grand Island December 20, 1866. He took charge of the car and building department for fifteen years. He came to Omaha October 5, 1866, and began work for the Union Pacific Railroad. He has since been in their employ. He was born in Johnstown, Fulton Co., N. Y., September 3, 1837. His parents moved to Berkshire County, Mass., where he lived some years. He then went to New Jersey, and lived there some time. He went to sea in December, 1853, making three voyages in the whaling bark "James Andrews" in the Arctic Ocean. He was promoted to boat-steerer, and was discharged in Honolulu, Sandwich Islands, in 1855. He remained there sometime, and shipped on the clipper bark "Yankee" for San Francisco, Cal. He there shipped on the steamship "Columbia" for Portland, Ore., as quartermaster, making several trips. He then took charge of a saw-mill in Willamette Valley in the fall of 1856. He then returned to San Francisco, and went on the Panama Steamship Line as quartermaster a short time. Then went to Hall county in mining and ranching until 1862. Then into mining in Virginia City, Nev., through that summer. He then returned to California, and followed mining and ranching until February, 1864. Then went to East Range Humboldt Mountains, Nev. He prospected, mined, contracted, also Indian scouting until 1865. He mined in Virginia City, Silver Bow, and Butte City, Montana Territory. He then went down the Missouri River from Fort Benton to Omaha in a Mackinaw boat. He married in Grand Island in 1867, to Mrs. Anna Page-Coran. They have one daughter, Carrie C. He is a member of all the Masonic bodies, Scottish Rights Lodge A. F. & A. M., of Grand Island. Also a member of the City Council.