KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS


Andreas' History of the State of Nebraska
Douglas County
Produced by Liz Lee.



Part 1      Part 2


Other Towns and Communities

SECTION 1:


Florence:  Early History | An Era of Prosperity | Biographical Sketch
Millard:  Early History | Schools | Business Interests
Biographical Sketches

SECTION 2:

Waterloo:  First Things | Associations | The Press | Churches
Hotels | Biographical Sketches

SECTION 3:
Valley:  First Things | Biographical Sketches
SECTION 4:



Elkhorn Station:  Biographical Sketches
Biographical Sketches:  Elkhorn Precinct | Union Precinct

List of Illustrations in Douglas County Chapter


Other Towns and Communities 4


ELKHORN STATION.

Elkhorn Station is located on the main line of the Union Pacific Railroad, twenty-nine miles west of Omaha. The town takes its name from the Elkhorn River, which empties into the Platte near the town. The town site was originally pre-empted by William Janney, who sold to G. N. Crawford and H. O. Jones. These gentlemen laid out the town, which has a site of nearly forty acres. Crawford owning the east and Jones the west part.

The first house erected in the town was put up in 1867, by Mr. C. Powers. The second dwelling was built the same season, by George N. Crawford, who at the same time erected the first store. This latter building was located south of the track, but was removed to the hill just north of the depot after a short time. In 1871, A. W. Stewart took possession of this store, and did business in it until 1873, when he was succeeded by John Weston. After Weston, came in rapid succession, G. N. Crawford, H. C. Wright, Bowman & McHenry, W. Meyers & Co. With the last named firm ended the business life of the old building, which now stands solitary and tenantless.

The Catholics of Elkhorn have a church edifice, and are regularly supplied by pastors from Omaha. Their first church edifice, erected prior to 1868, was blown down in that year, and rebuilt in 1870.

There are no other church buildings in or near the town, except the parsonage of the Methodist society, which is occupied by Rev. Mr. Boaz, who supplies a large circuit from this point. Regular services have been held in the schoolhouse ever since its erection.

The town has two general stores, which were erected at nearly the same time, the first by G. N. Crawford, and the second by A. S. Stewart. In 1874, Parmalee & Sweezey erected a large elevator on the hill just northeast of the depot. After operating at this point a short time, these gentlemen sold to Baldwin & Connalee, who handled grain until it was destroyed by fire, in 1879.

The medical profession has had three representatives, the first of whom, Dr. C. Howcroft, commenced practice in 1874, and remained one year. Dr. T. H. Bowman was the next physician of the town, and ministered to the various ailments of the inhabitants for four years. In 1879, Dr. J. Lau opened an office and began a practice, which has been so extensive as to make him a permanent settler.

In 1875, Mr. F. J. Crawford started a small paper of the "seven by nine" order, but it never attained a foothold in the neighborhood, and died a natural death within the year.

The schoolhouse, which stands in a neat enclosure a short distance south of the railroad track, was built in 1869, at a cost of $1,600, the necessary funds being raised by a tax. The first teacher who occupied this building was Henry Wilkins. At the present time the average attendance of the winter term is sixty, and of the summer, twenty-five scholars. The school is in charge of F. M. Bailey.

This place is known to the railroad as Elkhorn Station, but its post office is named Douglas. It was first named Chicago, from the precinct, but this caused trouble, because the mail for the place was frequently sent by mistake to Chicago, Ill. It was then called Elkhorn, from the river, but there was an Elkhorn City in Elkhorn Precinct, to the north, and the similarity of names made much confusion. The change was finally made to the name Douglas, which the post office has adopted, though the station keeps the old name.

Elkhorn Lodge No. 140 I. O. G. T., was organized in September, 1881, with twelve members, and the following officers: John Lau, W. M.; Lomila Hopper, V. T.; Alice Lindenberger, W. S. At the present time the membership has increased to thirty-five. The following are the present officers: L. Hopper, W. C. T.; Lizzie Stewart, V. T.; R. Roberts, R. S.; Clark Haney, F. S.; Julia Standen, W. T.; F. M. Bailey, W. C.; Ella Hopper, I. G.; John McCormick, O. G.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

B. B. BALDWIN, station agent, Union Pacific Railway, Elkhorn station, and Postmaster Douglas P. O. Mr. Baldwin was born in Ingham County, Mich., 1851. At the age of nineteen years he engaged at his present railroad business on the Michigan Central Railway with which he remained in honorable connection till 1876, when he came to Nebraska and located here the same year and took charge of the present depot which he has actively conducted since. In 1879 he married Miss Mary A. Chambers, who was born and reared in Missouri. They have one daughter, Mollie. In 1880 he was appointed to the incumbency of Postmaster of Douglas, which he has held continuously since.

DANIEL CLIFTON, farmer and stock raiser, Section 11, Chicago Precinct, Millard P. O., was born in Pickaway County, Ohio, 1832, and came to Nebraska in 1853 and has been successfully connected with his present industry here since. In 1850 he married Miss Abitha Alkier, who was born and reared in his native county and who departed this life in 1873, and is buried in the family cemetery on the homestead, leaving a family of four sons and one daughter, William Henry, Charles T., Joseph L., Harvey L. and Mollie. In 1873 he married Miss Mary Crosby, who was born in New York and reared in Wisconsin. They have a family of two sons and two daughters, John M., Hanna G., Lucy F., and Daniel. Mr. Clifton has been an active worker in the industrial and society life of his locality.

WILLIAM B. CONNERLY, farmer and stock raiser, Section 16, Chicago Precinct, Douglas P. O., was born in Lawrence County, Ind., 1841, and followed farming there till 1875, when he came here and located, and has very successfully carried on his present business here since. In 1865 he married Miss Mary West, who was born and reared in Martin County, Ind. They have a family of five sons, Jesse T., Homer E., Lee O., Guy O., and Harry P. Mr. Connerly is an active worker in the development of the social and industrial life of his locality. At the breaking out of the war he enlisted in the Thirty-first Indiana Volunteers and remained in active service till near its close, when he was honorably discharged.

HENRY DEERSEN, deceased, was born in Holstein, Germany, 1837, and came to America in 1852, and settled in Illinois where he followed farming till 1869 when he came to Nebraska, and settled in Douglas County, where he was actively connected with farming and stock raising till his death which occurred in January, 1881. He is buried in the Britton Cemetery here. Mrs. Catherine Deersen, formerly Frahm, was born in Holstein, Germany, 1841, and came to America in 1847 with her people who settled in Cook County, Ill., where she was reared and educated. In 1863 she was married to Henry Deersen. She has a family of six sons and one daughter, George N., Henry W., Albert J., William M., Addie M., Charles A., and Franklin F. Her residence is in Section 30, Chicago Precinct, Douglas P. O.

THOMAS J. DONAHOO, farmer and stock raiser, Section 23, Chicago Precinct, Douglas P. O., was born in Tennessee, 1830, and reared in Iowa. In 1856 he came to Nebraska and located here where he has been actively connected with his present business since. In 1852 he married Miss Nancy Dibble, in Iowa. She was born in Michigan, and reared in Iowa. They have a family of two sons and two daughters, Edwin E., Mary L., now Mrs. Henry Clifton, Loran and Augusta. Mr. Donahoo has always been an active worker in the development of the social life of his locality since coming here.

WILLIAM DONNELLY, farmer and stock raiser, Section 14, Chicago Precinct, Douglas P. O., was born in County Donegal, Ireland, 1824, came to America in 1849 and spent the first seven years in the East, principally in Philadelphia. In 1856 he came to Nebraska, located here where he has actively conducted his present business since. In 1852 he married Miss Ann Leonard, in Philadelphia. She was born in County Cavan, Ireland, 1832, and departed this life in 1871 and is buried in the Roman Catholic Cemetery here, leaving a family of seven sons and two daughters. In 1875 Mr. Donnelly married Mrs. Ellen Leary, formerly McCarthy, who was born in County Kerry, Ireland. Mr. Donnelly has always been an active and upright citizen and has assisted towards the growth and development of the social and industrial life of his locality since coming here.

EDWARD HALL, farmer and stock raiser, Section 16, Chicago Precinct, Douglas P. O., was born in County Carlow, Ireland, 1818, came to America in 1832 and settled in Indiana, where he followed foundry work and machinist till 1847 when he took up farming which he followed several years, he then took up mercantile business which he carried on about seven years, till 1868 when he came to Nebraska and settled in Douglas County where he has actively carried on his present business since. In 1847 he married Miss Eliza McGrath, born in Lancaster County, Pa., 1824. They have a family of seven sons and three daughters, Philip, John, Robert, Edward, William, James, Charles, Mary, now Mrs. John Haney, Margaret and Eliza. Mr. Hall has always been an active worker in the growth and development of the social life of his locality since coming here.

GUSTAV KAESSNER, harness and saddler maker and dealer in agricultural implements and farm machinery, Douglas P. O. Was born in Germany, in 1851, and came to America in 1873, and located here in 1875, and has very successfully carried on his business here since. In 1876 he married Miss Sophia Claussen, who was born in Germany in 1839. Mr. K. is one of the most active and enterprising men of his time and business in this locality.

L. B. LINDENBERGER, firm of Lindenberger & Robinson, brick manufacturers, Douglas P. O. Was born in Delaware County, Ohio, 1852, and came to Nebraska in 1876, and took up his business of farming here, which he followed till 1877, when he engaged at the present business which he has successfully carried on since. The present yard was established in 1879. It has a capacity of making 600,000 brick per annum, of extra quality, on account of the superior quality of the clay used. It gives employment to twelve workmen, and does an annual business of $5,000 a year. Lindenberger & Robinson are the firm. George Robinson of the firm was born in Columbia County, Wis., in 1845. In 1874 he came to Nebraska and followed his business of farming till 1878, when he engaged in the stock and grain business, which he successfully operated till the present year, when he joined Mr. Lindenberger in the present enterprise. In 1870, he married Miss Jane Howie, who was born in Waukesha County, Wis. They have a family of four sons and two daughters, George T., John H., Jennie M., James A., William A. and Mabel.

PRESTON REEVES, farmer and stock raiser, Section 11, Chicago Precinct, Millard P. O. Was born in Virginia, 1823, and was reared in Illinois. In 1843 he removed to Caldwell County, Mo., where he followed his present industry till 1856, when he came here and located, and has very successfully carried it on here since. In 1856 he married Mrs. Amelia Ellis, Formerly Sterrett, who was born in Maryland in 1829, and reared in Kentucky. They have a family of two sons and four daughters, Mary L., now Mrs. William Haney; William D., Elizabeth E., Joseph C., Cora B., now Mrs. Henry F. Rhodes, of Omaha; and Idella F. Mr. Reeves has always taken an active part in the encouragement of the many industries that have tended to the growth and development of his locality.

WILLIAM NEBRASKA REEVES, farmer and stock raiser, Chicago Precinct, Millard P. O. Was born in Omaha, October 2, 1854, and was the first settler's child born there. His present industry he has actively followed since arriving at manhood. In 1876 he married Miss Elizabeth Sumner, a native of Iowa. They have two daughters, Olive May and Clara Belle. Mr. Reeves' father, Jesse Reeves, now deceased, was born in North Carolina, 1832, and reared in Illinois. In 1854, he came to Nebraska and settled in this county, where he remained till his death, which occurred October, 1870. He is buried in the Britton Cemetery here. In 1852, he was married to Miss Elizabeth Barlow, who was born in Ohio, 1837, and reared in Iowa. She has a family of two sons and two daughters, William N., Jesse A., Sophrono, now Mrs. Robert Martin, of Kearney; and Ida May, now Mrs. Robert Livingston, of Tekamah.

H. J. ROLFS, grain dealer, Douglas P. O., was born in Holstein, Germany, 1837, and came to America in 1857, and settled in Illinois, where he followed his trade of blacksmith, till the breaking out of the war, when he enlisted in Company I., Second Illinois Independent Cavalry, and remained in active service till 1864, when he was honorably discharged, but soon after accepted a position in charge of the Quartermaster's blacksmith shops at Cairo, Ill., where he remained till the end of the war. In 1866, he came to Nebraska, and located at Omaha, in this business, but shortly after built a portable shop, which he carried on along the line of the Union Pacific Railroad, principally, till 1867. In 1868 he came here and located, and actively carried on his business till 1876, when he took up his present business, which he has very successfully conducted since, In the meantime carrying on his farm, consisting of 320 acres, which he has added to his wealth since coming here.

J. B. SILVIS, photographer, artist, Elkhorn Station, Douglas P. O., was born in Lockhaven, Pa., in 1834. At the age of fifteen, in 1849, he left his native State for California, going up on an overland trip, which he completed the same year, and for twenty years there, was very successfully connected with mining operations. In 1859 he began the study of his profession, in consequence of injuries received that incapacitated him form active service in the mines, and has been actively connected with it until his retirement in 1882. In 1870, he came to Nebraska, conducted the Union Pacific Railroad photograph car through the entire route. In the meantime taking an active part in agricultural and stock industry, of which he owns some valuable farms in this locality. The Waterloo stock farm of 255 acres, the Riverside farm of 255 acres, and Silvis Park of 30 acres, all at Waterloo, and his residence on the Sunny Side farm at Elkhorn Station. He has just began the breeding and introduction of fine stock of horses and cattle, chief among which is the thorough bred horse Redbuck, and his imported short horned bull, Duke of Oxford. Mr. S. has always taken an active interest in the growth and development of the social and industrial life of this locality, since coming here. In his public life, he has always declined accepting office. During the late civil war, he entered into it with the true spirit of a soldier, and returning to his native State, he enlisted in Company F, Fifteenth Pennsylvania Cavalry, in 1861, and remained in active service till the end of the war, when he was honorably discharged as veteran of Company F., Fifteenth. In 1862, he was taken prisoner for nine weeks. He remained in Andersonville prison, but was exchanged and joined his command again immediately. In 1873, he married Miss Alice V. Allen, who was born and reared in Wayne County, N. Y. They have one daughter.

ALFRED STANDEN, farmer and stock raiser, Section 18, Chicago Precinct, Douglas P. O., was born in Kent County, England, in 1847; came to America in 1855, and settled with his people in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, where he was reared and educated. In 1871, he came to Nebraska and located at Elkhorn Station, where he carried on his business as butcher and stock dealer till 1876, when he took up the present industry, which he has actively followed since. In 1871, he married Miss Melissa Erway, who was born in Chemung County, N. Y., and reared in Wisconsin. They have a family of two sons and three daughters, Nettie M., Jennie M., Frank G., Sidney M., and Charles A. Mr. Standen has always taken an active interest in the growth and development of the social life in his locality since coming here.

J. W. STEWART, general merchandise, Douglas P. O., was born in Sidney, Shelby Co., Ohio, in 1832, and removed with his people to Illinois, who settled in Champaign County, where he was reared and educated. In 1854, he took up his present business there, and conducted it until 1857, when he removed to Kansas and carried it on till 1859. He then engaged in mining operations, in the mountains principally, in Colorado, New Mexico and Utah, which he very successfully carried on till 1870, when he came here and located, and has been actively connected with his present business since. In 1868, he married Miss Mary J. Crook, of North Carolina. They have a family of one son and daughter, Francis and Elizabeth J. Mr. S. has always taken an active part in the growth and development of this place. In public life, he has never aspired to position. In his military life he did active service in the Third Colorado Cavalry for eighteen months, in the latter part of the war.

ELKHORN PRECINCT.

A. E. ASKWIG, farmer and stock raiser, Section 26, Douglas P. O., was born in Norway in 1835 and came to America in 1837 with his people, who settled in La Salle County, Ill. In 1853 he removed to Mills County, Iowa, and followed the farming industry till 1869, when he came here and located, and has actively conducted his present industry since. In 1869 he married Miss Susan M. Cheney, who was born in Illinois and reared in Iowa, who departed from this life in 1872, and is buried in the family cemetery here, leaving one son, John Cyrus. In 1874 he married Miss Ellen M. Paulson, who was born in Norway and reared in Nebraska. They have one daughter, Lois. Mr. Askwig has been an active worker in the development of the social life of his locality since coming here.

DR. CYRUS BALDWIN, Section 36, Douglas P. O., was born in Rutland, Vt., in 1820, and removed to Genesee County, N. Y., with his people, where he was reared and educated. Dr. Baldwin began the practice of his profession very early in life. Successfully followed it in the East till 1866, when he came here and located, and has very ably carried it on since. Since locating in this State he took up the agricultural and stock industry, with which he has been very actively identified. In 1854 he married Miss Lois Whitcomb in Michigan. She was born in New York State, and reared in Michigan, Eaton County.

GEORGE BEAN, farmer and stock raiser, Section 1, Elkhorn City P. O., was born and reared in Virginia, and came to Nebraska in 1874 and located here, where he has been actively identified with his present industry since. In 1879 he married Miss Ellen Marsh in Lee County, Iowa. She was born in New York State. They have a family of one daughter, Mary.

JOHN BRYANT, farmer and stock raiser, Section 23, Waterloo P. O., was born in Buckinghamshire, England, in 1834, and came to America in 1855. Settled in Nebraska, and the same year took up his present industry, which he has actively carried on since. In 1863, he married Miss Catharine Appleby, who was born in Staffordshire, England, in 1843. They have a family of nine children, James A., Fannie E., William G., Catherine A., Mary P., Lucy J., Grace G. and John S.--twins, and Eliza J. Mr. Bryant has been an active worker in the development of the social life of his locality since coming here.

WILLIAM DOWLING, farmer and stock raiser, Section 6, Elkhorn City P. O. was born and reared in Bedford County, Pa. In 1856 he came to Nebraska and located here, where he has prosecuted his present industry since. In 1853 he was married in Cincinnati, Ohio, to Miss Sarah Jane Miller, who was born in Indiana and reared in Ohio. They have a family of five sons and five daughters, Mary E., now Mrs. Charles Paste, of Buda, Neb., Charles B., Sarah Emily, now Mrs. Amos Wolcott, of Cass County, Neb.; Loyal A., William Henry, Clara May, Orrin W., Harvey O., Clarence E., and Jessie E. Mr. Dowling has been active in the development of the social life of his locality since coming here.

GEORGE W. GELSTON, farmer and stock raiser, Section 11, Elkhorn City P. O. Mr. Gelston was born and reared in Connecticut. In 1858 he came to Nebraska, but went through to Pike's Peak, where, after a short stay, he returned to this State and placed a line of stages from Kearney to Denver in behalf of the Western Stage Company, of Iowa City, Iowa. In 1861 he came here and located, and has been actively connected with his present industry here since. In 1862 he married Miss Mary Wilkning, who was born in Germany and reared in Nebraska. They have a family for six sons and two daughters, Frank, Annie, Willie, Emma, Henry, Charlie, Samuel T. and Edward. Mr. Gelston has been has been an active worker in the development of the social life of his locality since coming here.

HENRY A. GRAY, farmer and stock raiser, Section 2, Elkhorn City P. O., was born in Dutchess County, N. Y., in 1819, and took up the blacksmithing industry at the age of nineteen, which he followed until 1848, when he took up the profession of machinist, which he carried on for several years. In 1856 he came here and located, and has been actively connected with his present industry since. In 1851 he married Miss Mary A. Purchase, who was born in Onondaga County, N. Y., in 1827. Mr. Gray has been an active worker in the social life of his locality since coming here.

JOHN LUTZ, farmer and stock raiser, Section 1, Elkhorn P. O., was born in Perry County, Penn., 1824 and learned the tailoring business, which he followed in the East till 1850, when he went to California, and followed mining for a few years, after which he went to Iowa, and after following his trade there for a few years, he came here and located in 1856, and has been identified with the development of the industries of this locality since. In the meantime taking an active interest in the development of the mineral resources of Montana and Colorado, with which he was connected for several years. He was one of the first to discover gold in Montana, in which place he spent a few years successfully in the mining industries.

ALFRED MAYHEW, farmer and stock raiser, Section 25, Douglas P. O., was born in Suffolk, England, in 1844, and was engaged at market gardening there till 1873, when he came to America, and located in Canada, and actively prosecuted his business there till 1879, when he came to Nebraska, and located here, and has very successfully carried on his present industry here since. In 1867, he married Miss Eliza Ellesden, of his native country. They have a family of three sons and three daughters--Joseph, Alfred, Sophia, Freddie, Emily and Jessie.

ISAAC NOYES, farmer and stock raiser, Section 27, Waterloo P. O. Mr. Noyes was born and reared in Saratoga County, N. Y. State and came to Nebraska in 1857, and located the present property, on which he remained until 1859, when he returned to his native State, where he was identified with the manufacturing industry, with which he remained actively connected till 1879, when he located here, and has been actively connected with the development of his present industry since. In the meantime taking an active interest in the development of the social and industrial interests of his locality. He married Miss Addie T. Batcheller, in 1859. She was born and reared in his native county. They have a family of two sons and one daughter--Carlton B., Mary B., and Hiland B.

DAN S. PARMELEE, farmer and stock raiser, Section 23, Douglas P. O., was born in Claremont, N. H., 1821, and took up the brickmaking industry in Albany, N. Y., with which he was connected in Maryland and Wisconsin, alternately till 1859, when he was actively engaged in gold mining for five years, and freighting on the plains, developing and improving the original Gregory discovery claim, in the Gregory district in the Rocky Mountains, erecting a large quartz mill under style and name of the Smith & Parmelee Gold Mining Co. Subsequently he came here, located, and has actively carried on his present industry since. In 1843, he married Miss Mary Ann Barber, who was born and reared in Utica, N. Y. They have a family of two sons--Edward A., in connection with the Military Headquarters, Omaha, and Rev. H. S., Secretary of the Y. M. C. A., East Syracuse, N. Y. Mr. Parmelee has an active worker in the development of the many different industries of his locality since coming here. He has represented his county in the State Legislative Assembly for six consecutive years, and has filled many minor county and municipal positions of honor and trust.

THOMAS PATRICK, farmer and stock raiser, Section 26, Douglas P. O., was born in England, 1843, and came to Canada in 1853, where he learned the trade of blacksmith, with which he was actively connected till 1879, when he took up the present industry, which he has successfully conducted since. Mr. Patrick came to Nebraska in 1864. In 1872 he married Miss Albina Beck, who was born in England and came to America in 1871. He has been an active worker in the social life of his locality since coming here.

GEORGE D. PHILLIPS, farmer and stock raiser, Section 11, Elkhorn City, P. O. Mr. Phillips was born in Washington County, N. Y., 1826 and removed to Cook County, Ill., with his people, where he was reared and educated. In 1864, he came to Nebraska, and located here, and has actively prosecuted his present industry since. He was married in 1854, to Miss Julia A. Jackson, who was born in England, 1839. They have a family of one son--George W., living and two daughters, Carrie and Hattie, buried in the family cemetery on the homestead. Mr. Phillips has been actively identified with the development of the social life of his locality since coming here.

JEROME POWELL, farmer and stock raiser, Section 35, Douglas P. O. Mr. Powell was born in Huron County, Ohio, 1838, and came to Nebraska in 1859, after spending several years in traveling through Indiana and Illinois. Mr. Powell at first engaged at freighting, which he followed actively for a few years, after which he located here, and has very successfully carried on the farming and stock raising business since.

S. A. ROBERSON, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 36, Elkhorn Precinct, Douglas, P. O., was born in Illinois in 1849, and reared in Hardin County, Iowa. In 1872 he came to Nebraska and located in Omaha, where he was honorably connected with the American Express Company for six years, when he engaged in his present industry, which he has successfully conducted since. In 1875 he married Miss Louisa C. Snyder, who was born and reared in Omaha, who departed this life in 1877, and is buried in Prospect Hill Cemetery. She left two daughters, Maggie May, living, and Louisa B., now buried beside her mother. In 1878 he married Miss Iva A. Ellison, in Leavenworth, Kan., who was born and reared in Missouri. He also had a son who was born in 1880 and died in 1881. Mr. Roberson has been an active worker in the development of the social life of his locality since coming here.

THEODORE VAN ALST, farmer and stock raiser, Section 31, Elkhorn Precinct, Douglas P. O., was born in Orange County, N. Y., in 1834, where he was identified with the farming industry. In 1855 he came West and located in Muscatine, Iowa, where he carried on a mercantile business for one year, and afterward moved to Davenport, and was identified there principally with grain and stock dealing until 1863, when he went to Montana and engaged in mining, which he prosecuted actively for nine years. After this he took up stock dealing promiscuously in the Western States and Territories until 1874, when he located here, and has very successfully carried on his present business since. In 1881 he married Miss Ida May Marsh, who was born in Warren County, Pa., and reared in Lee County, Iowa. Mr. Van Alst did public service in Iowa as Deputy U. S. Marshal for several years during his stay there. Since coming here he had been an active worker in the furtherance of all matters tending to promote the growth of the social development of his locality.

O. WHITNEY, farmer and stock raiser, Section 4, Elkhorn City P. O. Mr. Whitney was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., 1846, and removed to Kansas in 1856, with his people, settled in Woodson County, where he was reared and educated. In 1874, he came here and located, and has been actively identified with his present industry since. In 1866, he married Miss Mary A. Graves, who was born in Missouri and reared in Kansas, who departed from this life in 1872, and is buried in the cemetery at Hamburg, Iowa, leaving one son--Eugene, and one daughter, Luna Fidella. In 1874, he married Mrs. Julia Jones, formerly Fay, who was born in Canada. Mr. Whitney did service in the late war, in the Ninth Kansas Cavalry from August, 1862, till the end of the war, when he was honorably discharged.

M. S. WILCOX, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 2, Elkhorn City P. O., was born and reared in Herkimer County, N. Y. Located here in 1867, where he has actively been connected with his present industry since. In 1873 he was married to Miss Mary E. Thrush, who was born and reared in Lee County, Iowa. They have a family of two sons and three daughters; Earl and Carl; Belle, Edith and Annie. Mr. W. has been an active worker in the development of the social life of his locality since coming here.

UNION PRECINCT.

SARDIUS C. BREWSTER, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 35, Irvington P. O., was born and reared in Oswego County, N. Y., and came to Nebraska in 1858 and located here, where he has been actively connected with his present industry since. In 1862 he was married to Miss Sarah A. Gaylord, daughter of the Rev. Reuben Gaylord, one of the pioneer ministers of the State. She was born and reared in Iowa. They have a family of three sons and three daughters: Hattie L., Ernest L., Silas R., Nelle H., May L., and Clarence G. Mr. Brewster has been an active worker in the development of the social life of his locality since coming here. In 1863 he organized the first Sabbath school here, under the auspices of the Congregational Church, with which he has been actively connected since. He represented his district in the State Legislature from 1868 to 1870.

RODERICK P. BREWSTER, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 34, Irvington P. O., was born and reared in Oswego County, N. Y. Came to Nebraska in 1858 and located here, where he has prosecuted his present industry since. In 1865 he was married to Miss Frances Thomas, who was born and reared in Ohio. They have a family of five sons and one daughter: E. Ethelbert, Roderick E., Clyde R., Henry C., Zerefa F., and baby. Mr. Brewster has been an active worker in the social life of his locality since coming here.

J. H. GUE, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 17, Irvington P. O., was born and reared in Ontario County, N. Y., and removed to Cedar County, Iowa, in 1852, where he followed the agricultural and stock industry for fifteen years. In 1871 he came here and located, and has been actively connected with the stock industry since. In 1855 he was married in Tipton, Iowa, to Miss Mary Willey, who was born and reared in Ashtabula County, Ohio. They have a family of one son and one daughter, William M. and Katie G. Mr. Gue has been an active worker in the development of the social life of his locality since coming here.

H. S. JOHNSON, Postmaster, Irvington, and merchant, is a native of Massachusetts, and came to Nebraska in 1880; located here, where he has been connected with the present industry since. In 1856 he was married to Miss Lucy Jane Coon, who was born and reared in his native State. They have one son, Herman W. Mr. J. enlisted in Company H., Twenty-fifth Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, in July 1862, and remained in active service until October, 1864, when he was honorably discharged.

ALBERT B. KNIGHT, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 28, Irvington P. O., was born and reared in Worcester County, Mass., and came to Nebraska in 1857 and located here, where he has been actively connected with is present industry since. In 1862 he was married in Massachusetts to Miss Phoebe H. Poland, who was born and reared in his native county. They have had a family of three sons and one daughter; Edward B., Arthur D., Lucy E. and baby, named John Thurston, who died at the age of four months. Mr. K. has been an active worker in the development of the social life of his locality since coming here.

J. GARDNER KNIGHT, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 34, Irvington P. O., was born and reared in Massachusetts and came to Nebraska in 1856, and located here, where he has been actively connected with the agricultural and stock industry of the locality. In 1851 he was married to Miss Lovenia Straight, who was born in New York State and reared in Vermont. They have a family of two sons and three daughters; Ella E., Minnie L., John D., George W., and Maggie W. In March, 1881, Mrs. Knight passed away from this life, and is buried in the Irvington Cemetery. Mr. Knight served in Company A., Second Nebraska Cavalry, from its organization till its muster out. Was honorably discharged. Has been an active worker in the social life of his locality since coming here.

LEWIS THOMAS, Union Precinct, Douglas Co., for twenty-five years a farmer and stock-raiser, Section 15, Irvington P. O. Was born and reared in Darke County, Ohio, and was identified with the making and brick-laying business there until 1854, then moved to Scott County, Iowa, and went to farming. Removed to his present place of residence in April, 1857. Since that time he has been actively engaged in the farming and stock-raising. In 1851 he was married to Miss Susan Moore, who was born in Montgomery County, Ohio. They have a family of one son and four daughters: Margaret E., Elizabeth S., Cynthia F. D., Ethan E. and Myrtle L. R., living; and one daughter, Frances N., who died August 9, 1864. Has been an active worker in the development of the agricultural interests of the soil in his locality. Religiously he is a Liberal, of the Thomas Paine stamp.




Top of Page   First Page   Back

Chapter Contents     Part 1     Part 2

County Index