KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS


Andreas' History of the State of Nebraska
Douglas County
Produced by Liz Lee.



Part 1      Part 2


Other Towns and Communities

SECTION 1:


Florence:  Early History | An Era of Prosperity | Biographical Sketch
Millard:  Early History | Schools | Business Interests
Biographical Sketches

SECTION 2:

Waterloo:  First Things | Associations | The Press | Churches
Hotels | Biographical Sketches

SECTION 3:

Valley:  First Things | Biographical Sketches

SECTION 4:



Elkhorn Station:  Biographical Sketches
Biographical Sketches:  Elkhorn Precinct | Union Precinct

List of Illustrations in Douglas County Chapter


Other Towns and Communities 3


VALLEY.

Valley is located in the extreme western part of the county, at the junction of the main line and the Republican Valley branch of the Union Pacific Railway. The town site was the property of the railway company and covers a trifle more than eighteen acres. It was laid out in 1864. For some time before the location of the town the settlement of the surrounding country has been rapidly progressing and many now living here have records of residence extending over twenty years. The first resident of the town proper was Richard Selsor, who built and occupied the store just south of the depot, in 1864. Here he continued in business until 1869, when he was succeeded by William Denton, who only occupied the store ten months, and was followed in 1870, by W. C. Carson. H. Newman and Benjamin White followed Carson, and White still owns the building which he leased in October, 1880, to L. A. Puffer, who is still in business.

In 1870 Thomas & Short transacted a general merchandise business for a brief time. The second and last store building was erected by Charles H. Harrier, in the fall of 1880. This is a neat structure about 20X40 feet on the ground floor, and he has two stories and a basement; it is valued at $1,200.

FIRST THINGS.

The first blacksmith to engage in business in the town was A. D. Butler, who opened a shop in 1869. Business, however, was not very remunerative and in April, 1871, Butler removed to another point. In 1880 the prospects of the town had so much improved that Butler returned and reoccupied his old quarters where he is still located.

The first hotel was built in 1874, by Benjamin White and adjoined his store. After keeping this house until October, 1880, White retired and was followed by Mrs. Mary Oster, who still carries on the business.

The Union Hotel was built in 1880, by E. Hudsmith, and is a substantial and commodious house. It was erected at a cost of $3,000; has two stories and occupies a ground space of 24x52 feet.

The first school taught in the town was in the charge of Miss Lizzie Graham, who began her work in 1872. The attendance at that time was fifteen. At the present time there is an enrollment of fully sixty.

A schoolhouse costing $1,300 was erected in 1873, and still suffices for all the needs of the town.

Religious services were held in the neighborhood as early as 1869, and have been kept up with a good degree of regularity by pastors of the Methodist faith. At the present time services are held every second Sunday in the schoolhouse by Rev. J. Boaz, but prior to the building of that structure private residences were utilized.

The directory of the town embraces two general stores, two hotels, and one blacksmith shop. Grain shipments from this point are made by Mr. L. A. Puffer. The present population of the town proper is sixty.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

J. M. ABRAHAM, stock raiser and dealer, Section 16, Valley P. O., Neb., was born in Butler County, Iowa, in 1840, and removed with his people who settled in Henry County, Iowa, where he was reared and educated. Mr. Abraham identified himself there with his present industry till 1881, when he came here, located and has actively carried on his industry since. In 1865 he married Miss Catherine Bartlett, who was born and reared in Indiana. They have a family of five sons and one daughter, Lot, Maggie, James, Charles, John and Arthur.

DR. JAMES W. AGEE, farmer and stock raiser, Section 28, Valley P. O. Dr. Agee was born in Tennessee in 1833, was educated in Missouri, where he had removed in 1852. In 1861 he took up the practice of his profession, which he has successfully conducted to the present time. In 1864 he came here, located, and has in connection with his practice, been actively connected with he agricultural and stock industry ever since. In 1862 he married Miss Eliza Ann Hurst, in Carroll County, Mo. They have a family of five sons and six daughters. The doctor has been an active worker in the social life of his locality since coming here.

S. W. BALLENGER, farmer, Section 4, Waterloo P. O., was born in Brown County, Ohio, in 1824, and moved to Illinois with his people, where he was reared and educated, In 1866 he located here and has been actively connected with his present industry since. In 1861 he married Miss Angeline M. Kapp, who was born in Indiana and reared in Iowa. They have a family of three sons and three daughters, Mary E., Stephen S., Eliza M., Francis L., Charles A., and Edella C. Mr. Ballenger has been an active worker in the social life of his locality since coming here.

EDWARD BURKE, farmer and stock raiser, Section 14, Valley P. O. Mr. Burke was born in Quebec, Canada, in 1834, and came to this country in 1852 and settled in Minnesota, where he followed the milling industry until 1864, when he came here and located, and has actively followed his present industry since. In 1863 he married Miss Philomene Gibau, who was born at Montreal in 1838. They have a family of two sons and one daughter, Henry, Albert and Mary, living and one son Louis, and one daughter Milie, buried in the Roman Catholic cemetery, Douglas County. In 1872, September 25, Mrs. Burke passed away from this life and is buried beside the two children. Mr. Burke has been an active worker in the development of the social and school life of his locality since coming here.

HARREL BYARS, farmer and stock raiser, Section 14, P. O. Valley, was born in Tennessee in 1840, removed to Missouri in 1858, and followed the farming industry till 1865, when he came here and has been actively connected with the present industry ever since. In 1859, he married Miss Sarah C. Saunders. She was born and reared in Missouri. They have a family of six sons and two daughters, Julia C., Leonidas P., Edgar R., Charles E., Linsey L., Lawrence S., Harry Alvin and Edna P. James V., and Lula May are buried in the Valley cemetery. Mr. Byars has been in the development of the social life of his locality since coming here.

C. E. CAMPBELL, farmer and stock raiser, Section 1, Fremont P. O. Mr. Campbell was born and reared in Oneida County, N. Y., where he was identified actively with the farming and dairying industry till 1879, when he came here and located, and has been actively connected with his present industry since. In 1872 he was married to Miss E. J. Randall, who was born and reared in Herkimer County, N. Y. Mr. and Mrs. Campbell have a family of two sons, Stewart A., and Sidney Earl.

ABRAHAM DENNIS, farmer and stock raiser, Section 9, Elkhorn City P. O., was born in Lancaster County, Penn., 1805, and was identified with the carpentering business there till 1855, when he came here and took up the bridge building industry with which he was actively connected till 1864. In the meantime he was actively connected with his present industry which he has successfully conducted to the present time. In 1863 he married Miss Elizabeth Harvey, who was born and reared in South Carolina. Mr. Dennis has been active in the development of the many different industries of his locality since coming here.

ANDREW S. EGBERT, farmer and stock raiser, Section 13, P. O. Valley Mr. Egbert was born in Sweden in 1845, and came to America in 1868, settled in Nebraska, where he was actively connected with the railway industry till 1877, when he came here, located, and has successfully conducted his present industry since. In 1869, he married Miss Bettie Johnson, who was born in Sweden in 1848, and came to America in 1869. They have a family of four sons and four daughters, Alfred, John, Ellen, Emily, Mary, Nels, Ida and Arthur. Mr. Egbert has been an active worker in the development of the school and social life of his locality since coming here.

ELEAZER D. EVANS, farmer and stock raiser, Section 16, Waterloo P. O. Mr. Evans was born in Henry County, Ind., 1838, and removed to Harrison County, Iowa, in 1853, where he followed his present business until 1865, when he came here, located and has very ably conducted his present industry here since. In 1858, he married Miss Elizabeth Lorinda Peckenpaugh, who was born and reared in Illinois. They have a family of three sons and four daughters, Lillie C., now Mrs. John E. Reed, of Platte County, Neb., William D., Mary L., Martha E., Annie I., Alvin E., and Frank L. Mr. Evans has been an active worker in the development of the social life of his locality since coming here.

GEORGE W. FOUTS, farmer and stock raiser, Section 5, Waterloo P. O., was born in Putnam County, Ind., in 1841, and removed with his people to Iowa, who settled in Pottawattamie County, Iowa, in 1850, where he was reared and educated. In 1862 he located here, and has been actively connected with his present industry since. In 1863 he married Miss Lucy Johnson, daughter of Eli Johnson, whose sketch appears in this work. She was born in Steuben County, N. Y., in 1844. Mr. Fouts has been an active worker in the social life of his locality since coming here.

JOHN FOUTS, farmer and stock raiser, Section 8, Waterloo P. O., was born in Indiana, 1849, and removed to Iowa with his people, who settled in Pottawattamie County in 1850. In 1864, he came here and located, and has been actively connected with his present industry since. In 1870, he married Miss Sarah Baker, who was born and reared in Indiana. They have a family of two daughters--Luella and Gertie May. Mr. Fouts has been an active worker in the social life of his locality since coming here.

ELIAS HARTFORD, farmer and stock raiser, Section 33, Waterloo P. O., was born in Wayne County, Ohio, 1821, and removed with his people in 1831, to Fulton County, Ill., where he was reared and educated. In 1861, he came here and located, and has been actively connected with his present industry since. In 1842, he married Miss Rachael Lamb, in Illinois. She was born in Ohio, 1820, and reared in Indiana. They have a family of two sons and one daughter--Jasper, Alice, now Mrs. Jeremiah Adams, of this county, and Myron. Mr. Hartford has been an active worker in the social life of his locality since coming here.

HENRY HARRIER, farmer and stock raiser, Section 31, Waterloo P. O. Mr. Harrier was born in Ohio in 1820, and identified himself there with the boating business till 1858, when he went to Indiana, and followed farming there till 1870, when he came here and located, and has actively carried on his present industry here since. In 1842, he married Miss Sarah Parrish, who was born and reared in Maryland. They have a family of four sons and three daughters--Charles, William, Albert, Perry, Caroline, now Mrs. Thomas Hunter; Sarah Helen, now Mrs. Charles Soles, both of Indianapolis, Ind., and Emily. Mr. Harrier has been actively connected with the development of the growing industries of his locality since coming here.

ELI JOHNSON, farmer and stock raiser, Section 20, Waterloo P. O. Mr. Johnson was born in Ontario County, N. Y., 1820, and was identified with the lumbering industry in his State till 1856, when he came to Nebraska, July 6, and located on the Elkhorn, and followed the lumbering and milling business here till 1866. In the meantime, he took up his present industry, which he has been successfully conducted since. In 1841, he married Miss Lucy Truman, who was born in Tompkins County, N. Y., 1819. They have a family of two sons and four daughters--Elisabeth, now Mrs. John Emerick, Lucy, now Mrs. George Fouts, Henry, Amelia, now Mrs. David Hale, Eli, jr., and Mary, now Mrs. Ellis Repas. Mr. Johnson has been an active worker in the development of the many industries of his locality, and has filled many offices of honor and trust in his municipality since coming here.

GEORGE McKNIGHT, farmer and stock raiser, Section 23, Valley P. O., was born in England, 1842, and came to America in 1853, and settled in New York State. In 1866, he came to Nebraska, and followed the railroad industry for a few years, after which he took up the present industry, and has actively carried it on since. He was married in Omaha, to Miss Ellen Jordan, who was born in New York State. They have a family of one son and four daughters--Mary Jane, Alice, George, Ellen and Minnie.

LARS PETERSEN, farmer and stock raiser, Section 24, Valley P. O. Mr. Peterson was born in Denmark, 1845, and came to American in 1868, and settled in Iowa, where he followed the farming industry till 1873, when he came here and located, and has actively carried on his present industry since. In 1879, he married Miss Bettie Nelson, who was born in Sweden, 1859. They have a family of one son and daughter--Annie Sophia and James Frederick. Mr. Petersen has been an active worker in the social developments of his locality since coming here.

JOHN REID, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 31, Valley P. O. Mr. Reed was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, 1828, and was identified there with the iron manufacture for eighteen years with Messrs. Baird, of Gartsherry, after which he accepted the management of the iron business of Ben, Blair & Peterson, of Cumberland, England, which he ably conducted for eight years. He then took up the management of the business of Messrs. Adamson, of Lincolnshire, iron workers, and carried it on for ten years, when he accepted the management of the iron business of Joseph Cliff & Co., of Lincolnshire, and after conducting it for a couple of years he came to America, and accepted a position with the Ætna Furnace Co., of Ironton, Ohio, but shortly after came here, 1877, and took up the agricultural stock industry, which he has very successfully carried on since. He was married in Scotland to Miss Anna Maria Simpson. They have a family of six sons and two daughters: William, Robert and Hugh, in England; James, Alfred, Jennie, Maggie and Charlie in this country. Mr. Reid has been an active worker in the social life of his locality since coming here.

B. H. SHINN, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 35, Waterloo P. O., was born in Illinois and reared in Iowa. In 1862 he came to Nebraska, and after a few years here he returned to Iowa, but returned to this State in 1877 where he has been actively connected with his present industry since. In 1879 he married Miss V. E. Dunbar, in Iowa. She was born an reared in Marion County, Iowa.

I. L. THOMAS, farmer and stock raiser, Waterloo P. O., was born in Jay County, Ind., in 1839, and came to Nebraska with his people, who settled here in 1856, where he has been actively connected with his present industry since. In 1868 he married Miss Rachel Connor, who was born and reared in Morrow County, Ohio. They have a family of four sons and two daughters; Cyrus E., Eddie E., Isaac F., Alvin D., Luella May and Ollie. Mr. Thomas' parents, Jonathan and Mary Thomas, deceased, were natives of Kentucky, and came here and settled in 1856.

V. H. THOMAS, Postmaster, Valley, farmer and stock-raiser. Mr. Thomas was born in Indiana, and came to Nebraska with his people, who settled here in 1856, when he was fourteen years old. He has been actively identified with the development of the many industries of this locality since. In 1870 he married Miss Nancy J. Snowden, who was born in Missouri and reared in Nebraska. Her father was W. P. Snowden, of Omaha. Mr. and Mrs. Thomas have a family of three sons and three daughters; Frank H., Laura A., Walter S., Lillie May, Minnie E., and baby. Mr. Thomas served in the Second Nebraska Independent Cavalry from its organization till its muster out. Was honorably discharged. In 1872 he received his appointment to the present incumbency of P. M. of Valley, and has been confirmed in it continuously since.

S. VAN SCYOC, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 15, Fremont, P. O., Mr. VanScyoc was born and reared in Franklin County, Pa., and removed to Illinois in 1851 and located in Hancock County, where he followed his present industry till 1869, when he came here and located and has carried on his industry here since. In 1867 he married Miss Parmelia Andrews, in Iowa. She was born and reared in Herkimer County, N. Y., They have a family of one son and four daughters: May, Estelle, J---, Helen and Edna. Mr. Van Scyoc served in the Seventh Iowa Volunteer Infantry, Company I, from 1861 to 1864; was honorably discharged. He has been an active worker in the public and social life of his locality since coming here.

WILLIAM O. WHITE, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 28, Valley P. O., was born and reared in Illinois and came to Nebraska in 1865; and has been actively connected with his present industry in this locality since. In 1874 he married Miss Juliett Frances Davis, who was born in Iowa and removed to Nebraska with her people, who settled here in 1857. Her father is John Davis, a native of Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. White have a family of two daughters, Sophia Nevada and Alsie Elizabeth.

WHITMORE BROTHERS, farmers and stock-raisers, Section 25, Valley P. O. These brothers are natives of Massachusetts, where they were reared and educated, and before coming to this State were identified with the mercantile business there for ten years. They are William G. and Frank. William G. having taken an active interest in political matters in his State, was elected to the Legislative Assembly from his district in 1877, at the age of twenty-seven. They came here and located, and have been very active in the development of the agricultural and stock industry, and the many social industries of their locality since. In 1880 Mr. William G. married Miss Ida Knowlton, who was born in Michigan and reared in Illinois. They have one little girl, Katie Lucia. In 1879 Frank married Miss Mary Gardiner, who was reared in New York State.

JOHN M. WILLIAMS, stock-raiser and dealer, Section 29, Valley P. O. Mr. Williams was born in Allegany County, N. Y., in 1828; removed to Illinois in 1851 and settled in Stephenson County, where he identified with he farming and stock industry till 1876, when he came here and located, and has been actively connected with his present industry since. The ranche consists of 1,000 acres, of which 150 acres are under cultivation, principally to corn, besides 130 acres to timothy; 400 acres are fenced. His stock consists of about 200 head of cattle and 100 head of hogs. The work on his ranche gives employment to ten horses and five men through the year. The shipments average 200 head of cattle and a like number of hogs, making an annual trade of $10,000. In connection with rearing stock he breeds about forty cows. The ranche lies on the Elkhorn River, which, with the several wells upon it, makes the facilities for watering stock very convenient.




Top of Page   First Page   Back   Next

Chapter Contents      Part 1      Part 2

County Index