A story of the Comunist colony which settled at Urbana, Neosho county, in 1877 and 1878, by W. W. Graves, was printed in the Chanute Tribune, January 5, 1946. Four issues of the colony's newspaper, The Star of Hope, are on file in the Kansas State Historical Society's newspaper collection.
Wellington newspapers have printed a number of articles on local history in connection with the city's diamond jubilee being celebrated this year. The seventy-fifth anniversary of the founding of Wellington is being observed with a series of public events scheduled from April through August 24, 1946. The Daily News published an article February 7, on the organization of Sumner county. It was based on material in the files of the Wellington chapter, D. A. R. The Monitor-Press printed a series of 12 historical articles between January 31 and April 22, 1946. Some of the subjects were: "Settlement of Wellington," "Wellington's First Business Firms," "Many New Settlers Arrive in 1876," "Many Social Events in 1878," "Wellington TriplesDuring 1879," "Beginning of the Boom," and "Wellington Loses Southwestern College."
"Cultural Interests in Kansas" was the subject of a talk by Miss Anna Carlson before the Round Table Women's Study Club at Lindsborg. The text of the speech appeared in the Lindsborg News-Record, February 21, 1946.
The Luray Methodist Church celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of the erection of its first permanent building, February 17, 1946. A historical sketch of the church was published in the Luray Herald, February 28. Services were held for a number of years in private homes and in the schoolhouse prior to the building of the first church in 1896.
An episode in a cattle drive through Saline county in 1869, was recalled in The McPherson County News, McPherson, February 28, 1946. It was written by Carl G. Lindholm, who at the age of five settled with his parents in southern Saline county.
The Kingman Journal, established March 8, 1888, observed its anniversary in March, 1946. Founded by S. H. Snider and O. P. Fuller, the newspaper was first published under the name Voice of the People. The founders announced the policy of upholding the principles of the Union Labor Platform. The name was changed to the Kingman Weekly Journal by a subsequent editor, John A.
ey, who published the paper in the early part of 1890. The word "Weekly" was later dropped from the title. Edwin Bronaugh is the present publisher. Included among articles of historical interest to Kansans in recent issues of the Kansas City (Mo.) Star were: "Humor and Playfulness of Dr. [Charles M.] Sheldon Revealed in Prized Letters to Friends," by Margaret Whittemore, March 29, 1946; "Shelter Belts Alter Old Time View of the Treeless Prairies of Kansas," April 18, and "Cattle Driven Over Chisholm Trail in '60's Helped Break a Meat Shortage," by Cecil Howes, April 26; "This `Town of Kansas' [Kansas City, Mo.] Took Its First Firm Step Just a Century Ago," by Edward R. Schauler, April 28. Articles in the Kansas City (Mo.) Times were: "Weird [Wind-Driven] Wagons That Might Have Been, Turned Kansans Against Liquor, Perhaps," by Edward R. Schaufller, April 3, 1946; "Mount Oread's Carillon Will Bring Type of Bell MusicNew to Kansas," by Bill Mahoney, April 13; "A Santa Fe Trail Honeymoon Recorded in Bride's Diary of Mexican War Days," by Edward R. Schauffler, April 19; "White's Book and a Pastor's [Oliver M. Keve] Letter Recall Senator Burton of Kansas," by Cecil Howes, May 2, and "Three Sisters' Defense of [Indian] Cemetery [in Kansas City, Kan.] Continued for Nearly Forty Years," by Henry Van Brunt, June 7.
W. W. Graves, editor of the St. Paul Journal, resumed publication of his series of articles entitled "History of Neosho County," in April, 1946. Recent subjects, and dates of publication, include: "Grasshopper Plagues," May 2; "Ferries," May 9; "Drouths," May 16; "Storms" and "Neosho River Floods," May 23; "Flood Control Movements," June 6, and "Ghost Towns," June 13, 20, 27, July 4.
A letter written by Col. D. R. Anthony August 17, 1857, after an inspection journey through northeastern Kansas was quoted by George Remsburg in the Atchison Daily Globe, May 16, 1946. Another article by Mr. Remsburg entitled, "Notes of the Early Days in and Around Atchison," was printed May 2.
The experiences of H. T. Hineman, pioneer of Lane county who increased his acreage from 320 to 13,000 in 60 years by producing livestock and wheat, were reviewed in a three-column article in the Kansas City (Mo.) Daily Drovers Telegram, May 9, 1946.
Hutchinson celebrated the seventy-fifth anniversary of its founding with a four-day "Diamond Pow Wow" May 15-18,1946, featured by street entertainment, pioneer and industrial parades, and a his-
torical pageant. The arrival of a pony express, which left St. Joseph May 12 with a packet of letters, opened the celebration. The event included a wedding on horseback and a golden wedding ceremony honoring more than 100 couples, all of them married more than 50 years. The longest-married couple on the stage was Mr. and Mrs. Charles Kingman of Walnut township, Reno county, who have been married more than 66 years, the Hutchinson News-Herald reported. Three pages of pictures taken during the celebration were featured in the June 17 issue of Life.
The fight between Gum Springs (now Shawnee) and Olathe in 1858 for the county seat of Johnson county was briefly reviewed in the Johnson County Herald, Overland Park, May 30, 1946.
The Baxter Springs Citizen issued a historical edition on May 30, 1946, as, a memorial to the war dead of the community. It contained pictures of Baxter Springs men who lost their lives in World War II, a. photograph of the federal monument in Baxter Springs cemetery in memory of the 135 men who lost their lives in the Quantrill massacre there in 1863, and a photograph of General Blunt's band, which was wiped out in the massacre. The historical sketch of Baxter Springs was based largely on a thesis written by Mrs. A. T. St. Clair. Other articles featured the histories of the city's churches, clubs and newspapers.
A list of pioneers who settled in Ness county between 1872 and 1880 was printed in the Ness County News, Ness City, June 13, 1946. It was compiled from the registration at the old settlers' reunion held at Ness City, June 5 and 6. Thad Levan, who settled in the county in 1872, has lived there longer than anyone else who was present. Gov. Andrew F. Schoeppel was a reunion speaker. Historical articles in the annual reunion edition of the Ness County News, May 30, included: "Ness City Library History," by Edna Robison; "Early History of Ness County," by Ellen Maguire; "Thad Levan Recalls Beaver Creek Battle," and "Early Day Industrial Development Halted by Sugar Mill Fire in 1890," by George A. Borthwick. Other topics included a story of the life of George Washington Carver; homesteading in Ness county in 1879, by L. T. Miller, and the history of "Dutch Flats," by Mrs. Minnie Dubbs Millbrook. A roster of Ness county officers from 1880 to 1946 and a list of Ness county discharged veterans of World War II were also published in this issue.