Fred W. Brinkerhoff, president of the KansasState Historical Society, was thefeatured speaker at a meeting of the Franklin County Historical Society in Forestpark, Ottawa, September 1, 1944. New officers of the county society who wereelected at the meeting include: Edmund Lister, president; B. M. Ottaway,vicepresident; Mrs. J. R. Finley, recording secretary, and Miss Clara Kaiser,corresponding secretary and treasurer. Mrs. Dorothy Needham Belt of Lane waselected a director to succeed her father, Dana Needham, deceased. Other directorswere reelected. J. E. Shinn was the retiring president.
The Clark County Historical Society isadvocating the establishment of acommunity center at Ashland as a permanent memorial to the pioneers and theservice men and women of Clark county. It would house a museum and recreationhall and would serve as a meeting place for civic and patriotic organizations.New officers elected at the society's annual meeting on December 9, 1944, are:Mrs. Ruth Clark Mull, president; Charles A. Wallingford, vice-president; Mrs.Melville Campbell Harper, recording secretary; Mrs. Villa Harvey Ihde, assistantrecording secretary; Mrs. Lillie Skelton Nunemacher, corresponding secretary;Sidney Grimes, treasurer; Sherman G. Ihde, auditor; Mrs. Dorothy BerrymanShrewder, historian, and Mrs. Effie Smith, curator. Mrs. T. T. Smith was theretiring president.
Officers of the Chetopa Historical Society,formally organized on January 22,1945, are: Roscoe Cellars, president; Wm. L. Barnhill, vice-president; Mrs. St.Elmo Porter, secretary, and George Lyon, treasurer.
The Kansas Catholic Historical Society iscontinuing to file the three Catholicdiocesan newspapers and other church publications and anniversary booklets,according to the Rev. Angelus Lingenfelser, of Atchison, secretary. He reportsthat numerous inquiries for Catholic historical information are being answered,and also that the Rev. Bernard Souse, O. S. B., is collecting the life history ofevery priest who attended St. Benedict's college.
Junction City newspapers have recently announcedthat the site of the Indianmonument south of the city, a one-acre tract located in the west half of thenortheast quarter of sec. 25, T. 12, R. 5, has been saved from tax foreclosure.